Week 2 What Are We Learning

I'll go ahead and beat a dead horse. You can't bet with Nebraska when Sims is playing. Idk what would've happened in the 2nd half, but Nebraska should've been ahead in the first half with any semi-competent qb. 4 turnovers and all were Sims fault, 100%. You got a high school qb playing in the big 10. Big, semi-fast & blind.

I may have been wrong about Tyler Van Dyke and Miami as he played great today. Maybe getting away from Gattis was all he needed to get back to looking like a first round draft pick again.

Still not ready to compliment Cristobal but the guy has at least raised the level of recruiting.

I know it's only two weeks, and maybe a little reactionary, but I feel like this season may be the one Danny Kanell and other SEC haters have been praying for for the last 20 years. I haven't had an opportunity to watch everyone, but I don't see an elite team yet in the league. There's still plenty of time of course, but it might just be one of those years.

Hugh Freese was not the hire I thought he was. Whatever the Fuvk this plan was coming into cal tonight was sone the most god awful coaching and play calling I’ve ever seen. It makes no sense, then with 10 min left in the game he decides to let Thorne start throwing the ball on early downs and they score in 2 minutes. No idea why Thorne had more rushes than passes until last drive of 1st half? No clue why they only let him throw in obvious pass spots? No clue why they continue to switch qbs when everyone knows one of them can’t hit a parked car?

- It's really hard to win in Tuscaloosa. Horns were the more physical and better team.
- Texas O-line was the MVP. Ewers was clean all night. No one got near him.
- Ewers was good. Hats off. Maybe this is the game that gets him over the hump.
- A&M is really big but slow. Ask Miami.
- I guess Hard Rock was technically 1/2 full, maybe, but the noise / crowd felt like a full house. It played a big part, big part.
- Coach Sanders (can we call him that?) deserves a lot of credit. It helps when you have unbridled ineptness with the other team's QB.

Nothing changes but the calendar flipping from one year to another.
Ags were shockingly slow, especially the defensive backfield.
LB's are invisible, but it's been that way for years.
How do you not adjust to the outside rushers? They must like watching film of TE's and RB's run right pass an edge rusher. You'd think Petrino would figure this out.

- It's really hard to win in Tuscaloosa. Horns were the more physical and better team.
- Texas O-line was the MVP. Ewers was clean all night. No one got near him.
- Ewers was good. Hats off. Maybe this is the game that gets him over the hump.
- A&M is really big but slow. Ask Miami.
- I guess Hard Rock was technically 1/2 full, maybe, but the noise / crowd felt like a full house. It played a big part, big part.
- Coach Sanders (can we call him that?) deserves a lot of credit. It helps when you have unbridled ineptness with the other team's QB.
The lack of pressure on Ewers is one of the big stories last night. Texas won both LOS and that Is why we got the result we did. Hats off. The penalties are maddening. On the plus side for Alabama, the WR look to be much better than anyone thought. The bad (and worse) news is that the OL is nowhere near ready for big time football. I get it from the TF left tackle (he got dominated), but the 4th year guys at C and RG were abysmal, especially C. If we can't run the ball, then Milroe can't be our QB. Sure he is a great runner, and really does throw a nice deep ball, but his mistakes in the intermediate pass game are too glaring. Interested to see how the QB reps shake out this week

I’ve learned not to watch jumbo’s press conference after a loss. I can watch one from years ago and it’s the same.
Recaps tge game.
Reporter asks a question
Recaps tge play, just needs to execute
Rinse/ repeat.

Hugh Freese was not the hire I thought he was. Whatever the Fuvk this plan was coming into cal tonight was sone the most god awful coaching and play calling I’ve ever seen. It makes no sense, then with 10 min left in the game he decides to let Thorne start throwing the ball on early downs and they score in 2 minutes. No idea why Thorne had more rushes than passes until last drive of 1st half? No clue why they only let him throw in obvious pass spots? No clue why they continue to switch qbs when everyone knows one of them can’t hit a parked car?
Look at the Box Score...pathetic. And, Cal was screwed out of a TD on what, the third play of the game? They did get 3, but was too quick of a whistle.

I watched a good bit of Kent vs Arkansas. These are quotes from Pittman, and he is being very kind and overly optimistic. His description of the 1H applies to the entire game. I think they had maybe 100 yards of offense in the first half, maybe?

In a word, Razorbacks looked awful.

“Early we couldn’t throw, couldn’t catch it, couldn’t run it. Defense kept us in the game,” Arkansas coach Sam Pittman said. “We weren’t giving up points, but time. The game plan was going exactly how they wanted it to go minus scoring a lot of points.”

“I think we’ll fix all this,” Pittman said. “I think we’ll play a much better football game against, no disrespect, a much better football program next week.”

Pittman rotated through several offensive lineman against Kent State as Arkansas returned just two starters from last year's team that paved the way for the No. 7 rushing offense in the country. The Razorbacks have averaged just 138.5 yards per game on the ground through the first two games, 98 fewer than in 2022.

“Right now, guys,” Pittman said, “when you go through two games, you really, in all honesty, you don’t know what you have yet. You’ve got to get them out there to really figure out who you really have.”

THE TAKEAWAY
Arkansas: The Razorbacks have won twice by large margins, but the margins belie some offensive issues and with a possible bowl team visiting in Week 3, Arkansas will have to improve, especially in the running game.

Utah has one of the best punters I've ever seen. He kicked one against Florida from his one-yard line, the Florida returner made a fair catch on his on 23. 76 yards in the air. Another punt he kicked from his 33, landed on the Florida four and kicked sideways and died on the 3.He was nailing it against Baylor yesterday too.

The worst QB I've seen all year is the Nebraska guy. So bad even the announcers were pleading for the coaches to bench him against Colorado, He's a pretty good runner, but for his four-year career he now has 35 passing TDs, 34 interceptions. He is averaging a turnover per quarter so far this year. Nebraska has a damn good defense, but this guy is killing them. Hard to believe Rhule can't find a better guy than that with the transfer portal

Milroe for Alabama is a better runner than the Nebraska guy, but doesn't look to me like he'll ever be an SEC QB. He can hit a receiver who is wide open but has no touch and takes so long to try to read a defense and then so long to decide to throw it the offense is out of sync every possession. The RBs were all top guys in high school, but look like a step down from what Bama has had for years.

SEC teams are 0-3 against the AAC and LSU, aTm, and S Carolina all got hammered in the process.

Very interesting season so far. Ironic that the last season for the Pac 12 is the one when they are LOADED with great QBs and have a bunch of very good teams

Last edited:
Utah has one of the best punters I've ever seen. He kicked one against Florida from his one-yard line, the Florida returner made a fair catch on his on 23. 76 yards in the air. Another punt he kicked from his 33, landed on the Florida four and kicked sideways and died on the 3.He was nailing it against Baylor yesterday too.

The worst QB I've seen all year is the Nebraska guy. So bad even the announcers were pleading for the coaches to bench him against Colorado, He's a pretty good runner, but for his four-year career he now has 35 passing TDs, 34 interceptions. He is averaging a turnover per quarter so far this year. Nebraska has a damn good defense, but this guy is killing them. Hard to believe Rhule can't find a better guy than that with the transfer portal

Milroe for Alabama is a better runner than the Nebraska guy, but doesn't look to me like he'll ever be an SEC QB. He can hit a receiver who is wide open but has no touch and takes so long to try to read a defense and then so long to decide to throw it the offense is out of sync every possession. The RBs were all top guys in high school, but look like a step down from what Bama has had for years.

SEC teams are 0-3 against the SEC and LSU, aTm, and S Carolina all got hammered in the process.

Very interesting season so far. Ironic that the last season for the Pac 12 is the one when they are LOADED with great QBs and have a bunch of very good teams
Bouwmeester is an animal. Utah ST has been garbage for several years, he's the real deal and the dude coach dickhead from Boulder ran off has been a fg kicking machine.

As far as worst QB's..... The backup at Utah(Barnes) says "hold my beer" to Simms. Thank God Whittingham finally gave Nate Johnson more than a few reps to show him what he's got.

Last edited:
The lack of pressure on Ewers is one of the big stories last night. Texas won both LOS and that Is why we got the result we did. Hats off. The penalties are maddening. On the plus side for Alabama, the WR look to be much better than anyone thought. The bad (and worse) news is that the OL is nowhere near ready for big time football. I get it from the TF left tackle (he got dominated), but the 4th year guys at C and RG were abysmal, especially C. If we can't run the ball, then Milroe can't be our QB. Sure he is a great runner, and really does throw a nice deep ball, but his mistakes in the intermediate pass game are too glaring. Interested to see how the QB reps shake out this week

The improvement in strength and physicality on both LOS is the single biggest thing Sarkisian has done. Night and day vs. 3 years ago and a necessity to compete and win in the new conference.

It shows us what we all know. Need a QB. It’s just like the NFL. Yea, you’re gonna get the Stetson B’e here and there. But Bama been sooooooo spoiled by QB play. That O Line is the biggest! Bigger than the NFL.
I tried to stop listening to reports outta practice/camp….those in the “know”.

This thing is gonna be a wildcard. I feel like an LSU can lose next week in Starkvegas but easily count em in for a game in Tuscaloosa.

That kinda year

What I learned; Watching early conference games and then seeing them for what they are goes a long ways.

Wk 1 Minny vs Neb, 13-10. Great defenses or subpar offenses? Subpar offenses, fade both week three and your a winner. ( myself, choose to stay away. Mistake )

Wk 1 Northwestern at Rutgers, Scarlet Knight D mauls NW offense. Wow, Wildcats are bad.......or maybe Rutgers D better than thought? really flying to the ball.
Bet Rutgers and NW week 2. (Did, and won both)

Wk 1 Ohio St at Indy, Hoosiers slowed down uptempo offense from yr ago, helped defense that gave Bucs 1st half issues. Buckeye D solid but offense not finding itself. So, is Indy D really great or Buckeye O really sputtering? A little of both it seemed. Bet Indy wk2 vs inferior Indy St and stayed away from chalky Buckeye game.

Saw Buckeye faithful at Eleven Warriors saying new clock rules to blame. Not what I'm seeing. Watched tape of 1st half, seven 1st downs had the ball carrier running out of bounds. Clock op stopped clock between 3-5 secs each time. One first down had a helmet come off, clock op stopped it again for 3 secs. Overall only 7 first downs in the 1st half had a running clock, abouf 35-40 secs lost. What is missing is explosive plays. IMO.

I learned it is possible for a team to finish a football game with 4 first downs but score 17 pts. 17 pts on a total of 73 yards of offense (1.6ypp) (Charleston Southern at Clemson). Charleston Southern had a 1 yard scoring "drive" and a pick-six in the 1H. Clemson mauled them 42-0 in the 2H and outgained them by 606y

I learned it is possible for a team to finish a football game with 4 first downs but score 17 pts. 17 pts on a total of 73 yards of offense (1.6ypp) (Charleston Southern at Clemson). Charleston Southern had a 1 yard scoring "drive" and a pick-six in the 1H. Clemson mauled them 42-0 in the 2H and outgained them by 606y
It was a bit like the Clemson/Georgia game in 1980.

I got a lot of pushback on this last week, im actually watching the replay now cause I wanted to see if Canes offense looked as good the 48 points they dropped (just 3 short of hitting that total I said was crazy low all on their own!) were a result of bad defense or them being the offense I thought.

I suppose we could blame Aggies for not getting any pressure on Van Dyke allowing him to pick them apart dropping one dime after another! The thing is texas AM has some dudes who will disrupt many offenses imo. I think it needs to be recognized Cristobal one strength outside recruiting is building very good oline’s! So now we talking bout a team that can protect a Uber talented qb who will be moving his way up draft charts all fall. He clearly has weapons and wheh you can drop the ball in tight windows down the field those talented skill players gomma look that much better, last but not least the overall point I was trying to make bout these new look canes. This OC who has worked under Holgerson for the last 4 years was not gonna run a offense anything like you saw week 1! This is houston offense with a vastly more talented qb, bigger better oline, and 2-3 guys on the outside with the kind of talent he typically only had one of at houston!

I never been a Cristobal fan, havnt bought into canes in a long time. This team is different and I think they will be going to fsu week 11 undefeated!

Back