Week 2 B1G Thread...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Very impressive contributions from many people in the first week thread. Mucho gracias...

I only saw the local school and the Wisky game so I will leave any other notes to the rest of the group...

Michigan notes:

-Obviously Hawaii was in a rough situation to begin with, and early on they could do nothing at all.

-They said Chris Evans was special and he looked the part. He has great vision and makes excellent cuts. Plus he rocks the KidNPlay cut, that counts for something too.

-LB play is the big question but McCray(BIG-10 Defensive Player of the Week) and Gedeon played terrific, imo. That is good news moving forward.

-Too many injuries, way too many. We'll have to see which ones are real bad but that was very dissapointing.(Thank goodness for depth on DL...gonna come in handy)

-They played 17(I believe) true freshman. Jim isn't messing around at all. Unlike past regimes, the best players play regardless of seniority. This frosh class is very good and you might as well get them out there at least for experience next year when they lose a lot.

-Obviously the best player was injured and out...but that still was discouraging how they defended quick spread attack at the end of the first half.

-Speight was solid. O'Korn looked solid.

-Going back to Evans, it is funny how much better an o-line can look when you have a guy that can hit holes etc.

-McDoom is Steve Breaston 2.0

-Last thing, that schedule is looking much STRONGER with Colorado and Wisconsin on it ;)

Also, great win for Wisconsin. Without looking at future schedules, I cannot forsee LSU coming north of Vandy ever again.

Curtis Samuels. My god. Tosu just reloads. Was impressed by them. Kj Hill is damn good too. Jt is jt. Beast. Gonna be a helluva game in Norman.

I personally thought Wisconsin dominated in the trenches. Lsu was not prepared for the physicality of Wisconsin at all. Wisconsin is always physical. Lsu play calling was terrible but Wisconsin did outplay them every quarter except 3rd. Qb 1 for Wisconsin had trouble in the second half. Be interesting to see how he does moving forward.

Michigan state plays down to level of competition early. They have last several years. Real test will be in South bend in a few weeks.

Michigan played a ton of freshman. Looked dominant but was expected with Hawaii traveling everywhere. Lot of depth on Michigan.

Great week in b1g overall. Those were the only 3 I really saw.

One will need to be careful looking at Iowa's leaky defensive numbers and forecasting forward. Very important to note that Iowa lost their best defensive player and team leader, LB "the outlaw " Josey Jewell in the first two minutes due to targeting foul.

Also, of note. Looks like QB Beathard will have true freshman Stanley backing him up (note Beathard a health history) as Stanley played late in mop up time, thus burning his redshirt. Surprising move and tells me they think highly of him. Moves RS sophomore wiegers to 3rd string and likely transfer. Maybe Michigan can use another Iowa QB castoff?:popcorn::tiphat:

A true freshman Michigan running back goes for over 100 yards and it's not Kareem Walker . .the unpredictable nature of college football at its finest.

Neb was as vanilla as you can get. Ran 19 of first 20 plays. Armstrong 5 for 10 passing. Saw nothing that would suggest he has improved at all. They did do a decent amount of designed qb runs which were mostly effective. He is a very good runner. Rb play is night and day better than last year. Newby much much better than he was last year. Ozigbo very solid. True frosh Bryant looked good as well. OL played well, but it was Fresno so who knows.

Defense was solid. True frosh Jackson was exposed a bit in nickel but he's only going to get better. Some creative blitzes got home. Run defense was good, front 4 pass rush was okay. Still a concern against better teams.

Pretty sloppy with penalties..bunch of personal foul stuff. Quite a bit of that was refshow though.

27 and 56 would be my numbers this week vs wyom

Thank you tee and cub. Very informative. Appreciate it. Nebraska will be a play this week probably.

Wyoming had huge emotional triple ot victory over northern Illinois. You can definitely run on that defense.

Michigan lost Mone and Charleton. Starters on the d line for about 3-4 weeks.

Guide, yeah Walker has some personal and academic issues and is last on depth chart. I can smell a transfer imo.

I would think they'll throw more, like 20 instead of 10. I think they're a little banged up at WR, so maybe just waiting for those guys to get healthy.

Ohio state will get a ton of possessions again with the air raid on steroids coming in

Wisconsin is in what would normally be considered a natural letdown spot against Akron this week, but this is a nightmare matchup for the Zips. Wisconsin will have a massive advantage in the front 7 on both sides of the ball. In looking at this game last night, I just feel it has a 45-3 type of outcome written all over it.

Why is Akron run defense considered bad, though? I am eyeing them closely as a possible play precisely because they match up well with what Wisconsin does, which is smashmouth running. Held Oklahoma to 100 on 33 carries last year and Pitt to 127 on 46 carries last year. Finished the year as one of only three teams to hold opponents under 3 yards per carry.

I get they could wear down if they cannot get first downs themselves and the game could spiral out of control but I am not seeing why we should doubt their ability to run stop.

They lost 5/7 starters up front, and six of their top seven leading tacklers from last year. Essentially the entire run defense that was solid last year is now gone.

That was my thought too. Lot of attrition. Tough to not be worn down by Wisconsin depth.

They did lose a shit ton of tackles from the front 7, more than I remembered actually. Do have major program recruits at first two levels to replace. I haven't checked depth chart though.

I played Akron. I agree they aren't likely to replicate last year's rush defense but they certainly can't just be considered a typical MAC team that is likely to get pushed around. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt even if they go from elite to just pretty goodWhere I think Akron will actually have success than most will anticipate is offensively. Take the jerseys off of the skill guys on offense and I'm pretty sure what Akron has would look like the power 5 group and Wisky more the group of 5, certainly at WR. RB Warren Ball is a transfer from Ohio State, Lane is huge and is a big play guy, Natson is more athletic than most guys on the field and Woodson was outstanding at QB in going back and looking at their game against VMI last week. Sure, it was VMI, but they held them under 2 ypc but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt they are gonna be solid defensively again, esp against a team that is awful in the pass game. Situationally I love it as well coming off of the game at Lambeau that got all their off season attention. I actually think Akron has a chance to be in this game in the 4th

I played Iowa/Iowa St under as well. I pretty much either take that bet or Iowa St every year in this game. Iowa St OL was hot garbage against Northern Iowa last week and this isn't the front 7 you're gonna figure it out against. On the other hand they were improved defensively. It's just always a grinder - 10 of last 11 havent seen 50 points in this series. Iowa the benficiary last week of some real bad MOH turnovers and also just made some big plays. We know what we will get from Ferentz and I mentioned it but I see a defense that is pretty far ahead of the offense in Ames. I intended to play Iowa St until about a week ago but after seeing their week 1 game I felt the under was the better of the option, especially being lined in the 50's. Keep in mind last year, Iowas most successful team prob ever, it was tied 17-17 with 2 minutes to go in the game before Iowa scored 14 late.

Just enough nits to pick for Michigan based on Week 1 tape (all I mean is that not every snap worked to perfection Saturday), + facing an opponent off a 38-0 win leads me to stay on the "continue to back Michigan until they fail to cover in consecutive games." Percentages will say it's a "public" play but book balances aren't being made or broken on 35 point spreads in a noon kickoff.

Just enough nits to pick for Michigan based on Week 1 tape (all I mean is that not every snap worked to perfection Saturday), + facing an opponent off a 38-0 win leads me to stay on the "continue to back Michigan until they fail to cover in consecutive games." Percentages will say it's a "public" play but book balances aren't being made or broken on 35 point spreads in a noon kickoff.
:shake2:

Wisconsin is in what would normally be considered a natural letdown spot against Akron this week, but this is a nightmare matchup for the Zips. Wisconsin will have a massive advantage in the front 7 on both sides of the ball. In looking at this game last night, I just feel it has a 45-3 type of outcome written all over it.

Really though, this is not your older brother's Wisconsin offense. The line was atrocious last year and didn't really figure to be highly rated this year, although the possibility of Voltz returning helps them. They looked a bit better and at least cracked 4.5 ypc against LSU, but like I said, they aren't the monsters they were in previous years who could just grind up and run over most defenses. Also, in the past, their passing game has had some big play ability with the likes of Abrederis and Erickson catching balls for them. Not a big fan of this WR group with Houston throwing to them. I'd be more worried about the other side of the ball if I held an Akron ticket(and I might), because I'd be afraid more of a Wiscy shutout than a big offensive performance.

I don't know how much people give a shit about Illinois, and you can't tell much from a game with Murray State, but Lovie is a professional who knows how to prepare a team. You could tell that for sure from about the first couple of plays of that game. What a difference that must be for those kids going from the walking punch line that was Tim Beckman to Lovie and this staff. He preaches turnovers ad nauseum and lo and behold they got 2 of them on the first 5 offensive plays from Murray and the game was over.

Tough matchup for them in Week 2 with Carolina coming off a loss, but they'll be interesting to watch. Senior QB, very good DL. Too bad the WR Dudek tore his ACL for the second consecutive year in the spring because their WR corps is a bit limited for Lunt. I'm pretty enthused though as an Illinois grad, and I can't say that I've felt that way since......well ever. Even when they had a nice run under Zook, you knew it wouldn't last. They'll be dogs most of the year, but they've got some pieces. In the past they got dominated on the sidelines. If Lovie can make some headway there, they might be a decent play this year.

Iowa state is really bad at LOS. Perhaps historically so. A ATS line like this is not Ferentz friendly typically. However that move at backup QB changes everything at backend of lopsided games IMO. Highly talented true freshman Stanley is now the anointed guy who takes over for Beathard next year. Got to read this one way-- they burnt his redshirt so he can get his feet wet this year- only reason to do it. A redshirt is a very inportant commodity at QB position especially when you already have all big ten caliber QB and very capable backup (RS sophomore Wiegers) in place.

So, think.... Iowa up late in game, and they will be, you think Ferentz is gonna belly a walk on full back 10 times or see what he has with this kid? If you burn a redshirt this early, the answer is obvious IMO. Get the kid experience. TU

how does psu's d line handle pitt's running game? they lost all 3 DTs, and their legit LBs are gonna have trouble shedding blocks if the DTs aren't doin their job.

penn state's best defensive unit is the secondary, and pitt don't need to throw with the line and running backs they got.

oh, and PSU didn't travel for shit last year. i don't know how that'll improve.

Iowa state is really bad at LOS. Perhaps historically so. A ATS line like this is not Ferentz friendly typically. However that move at backup QB changes everything at backend of lopsided games IMO. Highly talented true freshman Stanley is now the anointed guy who takes over for Beathard next year. Got to read this one way-- they burnt his redshirt so he can get his feet wet this year- only reason to do it. A redshirt is a very inportant commodity at QB position especially when you already have all big ten caliber QB and very capable backup (RS sophomore Wiegers) in place.

So, think.... Iowa up late in game, and they will be, you think Ferentz is gonna belly a walk on full back 10 times or see what he has with this kid? If you burn a redshirt this early, the answer is obvious IMO. Get the kid experience. TU

Interesting points about the backup QB. I'm on the under so I hope he bellies the FB (great phrase btw) if it gets to that point. Interesting you dislike their DL so much, I like them there at least early on the season before any potential depth issues could catch up. I love Demond Tucker.

how does psu's d line handle pitt's running game? they lost all 3 DTs, and their legit LBs are gonna have trouble shedding blocks if the DTs aren't doin their job.

penn state's best defensive unit is the secondary, and pitt don't need to throw with the line and running backs they got.

oh, and PSU didn't travel for shit last year. i don't know how that'll improve.

Villanova, while not the Nova they prob were a few years ago, handled the Pitt run game pretty well, I thought. Conner had 53 yards on 17 carries. The most concerning thing was they only threw for 175 to boot. Pitt averaged 3.89 ypp and had 261 yards of offense. Even with PSU losses up front, I wouldnt expect Pitt to do a whole lot offensively. Agree with you though that under prob the best play it opened in 50's and I didnt have access to the first open and at current number I may pass. I think if I can get 49 and/or 7 I'd be inclined to go under and dog.

shit moved to -5 and i got suckered in. hard for me to put a lot into the nova game considering look ahead pitt had goin on. same with psu vs kent state.

My locals dont give me any openers in college football,
so my only play is a teaser, USF and Iowa, both at -9.5
A clown and dub collaboration

GL fellas! :shake:

Regarding Akron, LB Ulysses Gilbert is one of the new front 7 starters...and this may be a product of playing VMI, or it may mean this second year player could be a good contributor for the D, but he had 3 tfl and 2 qbh in his first start. While Zips lose the interior of the DL they still have Marcus at DE which was great last year and looks good again.

The QB, WR, RB combo for Akron looks excellent...Natson has had the immediate impact you would've expected...hard to see Wisky completely shutting them down unless the Zip OL is just garbage (which it could be). 5 new OL made their first start for Zips last week, but 4 were juniors and 1 soph, so atleast there isn't just a bunch of kids out of high school up there. I think gameplan, play calling and offensive execution likely to be better this week from Akron compared to LSU last week. If they bring heat on Woodson, he can run, hopefully he does that instead of forcing throws.

Really watching a good bit of the Wisconsin - LSU game it was very clear the passion and energy that Wisconsin played with and the lack of it on LSU's side, OL and DL included. I saw LSU DL players walking and loafing on a few occasions. So not sure Wisconsin can #1 match the same level they played with and #2, not sure they will face a team that seemed almost as disinterested as LSU looked at times last week.

Wisconsin beat LSU, but do we think this Badger team is really much better than last year's team? I don't. As mentioned, can't be impressed with Houston at QB. But maybe he will look better vs MAC D.

I still like Zips, I think they will score. I think TJ Edwards is still out at LB for Badgers and I think another LB Chris Orr broke his leg last week.

Edit - looking at it there are a few career starts among the guys who started last week, not all entirely making first starts.

Iowa State vs Iowa?

Loved the 1977 ISU jerseys....first time they played in like 40 years. Iowa won 12-10.

ISU-Iowa1977_zps7f85acc6.jpeg

How good is Villanova and why did Pitt only get 114y on 34 att vs them? Conner only avg'd 3.1 on 17 att. Ollison did avg 4.3 on 7 att.

That has to be a fluke? This OL and RB should be able to find daylight to run.

I have been wondering what Pitt would do with Boyd gone. Pitt has a pretty good history of a go-to WR emerging. Just one week, but they didn't find one yet, or if they did they didn't feature him or target anyone like they were Boyd-Baldwin-and the other great Pitt WRs. Boyd caught more balls (91) than nearly the next 2-6 combined (94). If Pitt's passing game has lost some efficiency with the void Boyd has left than PSU can load up and force Pitt to beat them through the air. Put the extra man in the box to deal with the OL coming through the PSU DL as other suggested would happen. Without watching the game I suspect that is what Villanova did.

Vs Nova Pitt only gained 3 first downs on the ground. They scored a KO ret TD to open the second half and then another TD halfway through the 4th qrt....they only scored 2 offensive TDs in quarters 1-3. I don't know something seems weird about that.

I felt Pitt is a pretty solid team and over the summer figured I'd be playing them in this game, but I'm shying away maybe. Perhaps I will just look towards the under?

Houston looked okay enough..better than I thought he would be for sure. Couple of poor throws obv but the rest of the time he put the ball where he needed to.

Iowa State vs Iowa?

Loved the 1977 ISU jerseys....first time they played in like 40 years. Iowa won 12-10.

ISU-Iowa1977_zps7f85acc6.jpeg

Look at those skinny legs on that Ted Hendricks wannabe! Ha ha - awesome photo!

ergg...sorry, posted in wrong thread...jimmy gotta pull head out of ass

Last edited:
Why is Akron run defense considered bad, though? I am eyeing them closely as a possible play precisely because they match up well with what Wisconsin does, which is smashmouth running. Held Oklahoma to 100 on 33 carries last year and Pitt to 127 on 46 carries last year. Finished the year as one of only three teams to hold opponents under 3 yards per carry.

I get they could wear down if they cannot get first downs themselves and the game could spiral out of control but I am not seeing why we should doubt their ability to run stop.

This is what I don't understand. Akron was 21st in rushing S&P last year and 8th in adju line yards. They only allowed 7 rushes over 20+ yards all year. While they lost 5 of 7, they still have Pittman and Marcus back who combined for 20 tackles for loss. The guys they have now are former P5 recruits. Week 1 was VMI, but they allowed less than 2 yards per carry. I think there is some strong evidence that the Akron run defense won't be terrible. Its a focus for that defense.

Have some weather concerns in the midwest this week. Columbus has a chance of some strong thunderstorms to monitor tomorrow for total players. Could see some delays as well.

Heavy wind right now in Iowa city. Still 3 hours to game time. Have weather scouts on it . #JB

Back