Week 11 What Are We Learning

Not sure why it wouldn’t matter that teams in the conf never good enough to achieve what the goal supposed to be? Yes it matters that none of them ever good enough to win their games when they have a direct path to a spot in playoff. It ain’t about the playoff, it about their best never being good enough to reach the mountain top.

I don’t even care bout playoff but it does matter and the fact pac-12 teams constantly shit themselves when they have a path to make it lessons them to me. I didn’t say it wasn’t interesting but the fact none of them good enough to be one the top 4 makes their battle for the conf less to me.

I actually think the competition level in the PAC 12 is very high this year and very entertaining. Throw in Oregon State and a Washington State team that is better than usual, an improved Zona team and it's a really good league. Maybe there are no elite teams, and elite teams are fine, I respect them. But watching the Big Ten, there are not many good teams or ones that can really challenge Ohio State or Michigan. I mean....I suppose Ohio State and Michigan are elite, but they are so rarely tested and challenged, I really don't know how good they are. Would rather see a team play a bunch of close games and maybe lose a couple and earn some tough wins (Alabama) than see Ohio State yawn their way through a soft schedule. The SEC is typically pretty deep. The Big Xll is very competitive this year and it is great. There are a lot of good football teams and a lot of good football games and I don't mean to imply you personally don't appreciate it, but I feel like nationally the focus is so myopic on the playoff that so many good teams, some very good teams and games are overlooked just because they don't fit the playoff discussion.

Not sure why it wouldn’t matter that teams in the conf never good enough to achieve what the goal supposed to be? Yes it matters that none of them ever good enough to win their games when they have a direct path to a spot in playoff. It ain’t about the playoff, it about their best never being good enough to reach the mountain top.

Every team is not the same. Different teams within the same conference can have different goals and objectives and they have multiple ones. Actually with coach speak and one game at a time mentality, how many teams come out and say "we want to be in the playoff" "we want to be national champions". They might say we want to be the best and we want to win all of our games, win our league, go 1-0, go unbeaten at home, beat the rival, etc. One of the things that I love about college football is that Washington State can have a successful year that they might not be completely happy with, but they can call it a success, where as USC in the same conference, can also find success and satisfcation with the outcome of their own season for their own reasons.

Move over Drake Maye, make way for EJ Warner! ;) carolinablue

How about 293y rushing out of your backup QB?

Passing Leaders
RK​
NAME​
TEAM​
RESULT​
COMPATTYDSTDINTRAT
1​
TEM​
L 36-43 at HOU​
2​
Drake Maye, QB​
UNC​
W 36-34 at WAKE​
3​
WASH​
W 37-34 at ORE​
4​
WKU​
W 45-10 vs. RICE​
5​
OHIO​
W 37-21 at M-OH​
6​
TENN​
W 66-24 vs. MIZ​
7​
GAST​
L 28-31 vs. ULM​
8​
BC​
W 21-20 at NCST​
9​
GASO​
L 17-36 at UL​
10​
WAKE​
L 34-36 vs. UNC​
Rushing Leaders
RK​
NAME​
TEAM​
RESULT​
CARYDSYPCTD
1​
CMU​
W 31-27 vs. BUFF​
24​
293​
12.2​
2​
Eric Gray, RB​
OU​
L 20-23 at WVU​
25​
211​
8.4​
3​
BALL​
L 21-28 at TOL​
28​
198​
7.1​
4​
Devin Neal, RB​
KU​
L 28-43 at TTU​
24​
190​
7.9​
5​
UCLA​
L 28-34 vs. ARIZ​
24​
181​
7.5​
6​
UTAH​
W 42-7 vs. STAN​
22​
180​
8.2​
7​
MINN​
W 31-3 vs. NU​
36​
178​
4.9​
8​
UCF​
W 38-31 at TULN​
18​
176​
9.8​
9​
FSU​
W 38-3 at SYR​
18​
163​
9.1​
AFA​
W 35-3 vs. UNM​
29​
163​
5.6​
Receiving Leaders
RK​
NAME​
TEAM​
RESULT​
RECYDSYPRTD
1​
CSU​
L 13-14 vs. WYO​
8​
168​
21.0​
0​
2​
FRES​
W 37-30 at UNLV​
8​
164​
20.5​
2​
GAST​
L 28-31 vs. ULM​
9​
164​
18.2​
0​
4​
LOU​
L 16-31 at CLEM​
11​
163​
14.8​
0​
5​
SMU​
W 41-23 at USF​
7​
156​
22.3​
1​
6​
Josh Downs, WR​
UNC​
W 36-34 at WAKE​
11​
154​
14.0​
3​
7​
TENN​
W 66-24 vs. MIZ​
7​
146​
20.9​
1​
8​
JMU​
W 37-3 at ODU​
6​
140​
23.3​
0​
CIN​
W 27-25 vs. ECU​
7​
140​
20.0​
1​
10​
ORE​
L 34-37 vs. WASH​
5​
139​
27.8​
1​

UConn is 5-1 at home, straight up!

I'm sure you guys talked about it in-game...Virginia threw two-pick sixes...on the first two plays of the game! There was 14:44 left in the 1Q and Pitt led 14-0! Yeah, I had Virginia

WVU blew a 1H cover when they failed to make a clean hold on xpt, then failed to obtain the ball and OU player scooped it up for 2pts the other way and I lose another WVU bet at the end of a half

Ohio State failed on a 4th-short opportunity in the final minutes of the 1H that would've likely allowed them to cover. OSU short yardage rushing O is poor

Missouri - Tennessee was 24-28 about 8min left in the 3rd Q...Vols won 66-24

Vandy snaps 26 game SEC losing streak at UK! Kentucky has lost to Vandy, lost to South Carolina and beat Missouri by 4

SMU - USF was tied 17-17 HT. Did you have USF+17.5? I did. USF scored TD with 1:46 left and went for 2 which failed to lose by 18

Rutgers scored on 4th-28 with a 31y TD :47 left for the cover.

ULM scored two non offensive TDs. After falling behind 10-21, ULM D stepped up and Warhawks won 31-28

Rice threw 4 INTs and lost 2 fumbles while only scoring 1 TD on 3 RZ trips

Holgerson almost had another ugly loss to his name

UMass outgained Arkansas State 475-275 - but lost 33-35! Ark St had 68y of O at HT! UMass only scored 3 TDs on 6 RZ trips while ASU was 3-for-3. ASU did lead 35-19 entering the 4th. Redwolves had a pick-six as part of their scoring.

NC State led 14-0 and 20-7, but Boston College would come back with the game winning TD catch :14 left to win 21-20! NC St lost 4 TOs, BC lost 3

Louisville QB Malik Cunningham was injured on a time expiring scramble at the end of the 1H. He DNP 2H.

Tulane and App State got in holes they couldn't climb out of - UCF ran for 336

Army led 9-0 HT, I believe that Troy ran a total of 15 plays in the 1H! But Troy came back and Army missed a would-be game winning FG in the final seconds

Ole Miss had 1st down at AL14 and 4 shots at the EZ trailing by 6 and failed to score. Ole miss outgained them 403-317

Spencer Sanders came off the bench in the 4th Q to lead a comeback vs ISU

Iowa won the Iowa way. A blk'd punt, a big punt return and a pick-six. Iowa scored 3 TDs there off just 35y of O! Iowa only had 142 total yards (2.1ypp). Wisconsin D had 6 sacks (12 TFLs), Iowa D had 4 (9 TFLs).

Following advice learned here, I bet against New Mexico in the 2H...too bad I'm a little late to the party

UAB jumped out 14-0, but North Texas scored 21 unanswered and it was 21-17 HT lead for UNT. They were shutout in the 2H and UAB won 41-21 with a 505-264 total yard edge.

UTSA D allowed a season low yardage and forced 5 turnovers in their blowout vs LaTech

South Carolina's only pts scored were on a fake punt, blowout city - 515-237 TY edge with 374 rushing yards for the Gators!

Kansas State held Baylor to their fewest points ever in the series (20 games). Will Howard came off the bench early again

Some Oregon defensive issues were fully revealed vs Washington. Ducks have given up six 50+ yard passing TDs this year (UW hit a 76 and 62 yarder). Ducks did not generate a pass rush (95th entering this game ncaa sacks) and their 128th 3rd down D was exposed. UW only faced nine 3rd downs, but converted 5 of them.

Oregon went for a 4th down deep in their own territory in the final minute and half with their backup QB. It failed when the RB slipped. Oregon has been ultra aggressive all year on 4th down and onside kicks, it caught up to them here.

Mississippi State returned a punt for TD in the final seconds of the 2Q to get the 1H cover.

Wyoming came from behind with their backup QB to win the Border War. CSU was primed for the upset the crowd was great. But CSU scored 0 TDs on 3 RZ trips (2 FGs and INT). At the end of the 1H CSU blew a chance to add to their lead when WR Horton kept running as the clock expired, he did make it down to the W03 after a 40y catch and run, but there was :00 left. Had he fallen down or ran out of bounds CSU could've attempted a FG atleast. Horton also muffed a punt in the 2H that put WYO on a short field where they scored 1 of their 2 TDs.

New coach, same result for FIU - a blowout loss vs their biggest rival. FAU wins 52-7

Texas only TD was a scoop and score late in the 4th Q

I know it isn't realistic for him head coach at Auburn next year, but man I love Carnell Williams as Auburn's head coach!

Syracuse drops their 4th straight after opening 6-0

Utah only led 14-7 HT over Stanford. Utes had something like a 14-2 FD edge at HT and finished the game with a 514-177 total yard edge! Taivon Thomas is officially back in the good graces and all of that 22att-180y-2TD

Not sure what happened with Zona - UCLA. I hate falling asleep on these late games and it is happening almost all the time now

Really disappointing loss for Hawaii. They outgained Utah State 541-374. UH was -4 TOs, one of which USU ret'd for a pick-six. USU Offense only had 74 2H yards. They tried making a comeback late, down 7 after kicking a FG, but their onside kick with :18 left was recovered by USU.
Great recaps, as always.

I been big on lsu as the season has went on but watching yesterday all I could think was Uga/Kirby gotta be laughing so hard watching every blitz hogs threw at them get home! Im not buying the spot or any that noise for the reason tigers offense couldn’t do much of anything vs a defense everyone picks apart. it was pretty much as simple as hogs blitzing and lsu being clueless on how to deal with it! It got to the point it made no sense to me that lsu was even attempting passes cause ark d being what it is you can gash them w the run just as easily the pass and they certainly wernt stopping lsu run game, tigers killed 3-4 their own drives choosing to attempt a pass on early downs which lead to having to try and pass to pick up 1st, which lead to a crazy amount of sacks!

The 1st half was one thing, that didn’t really surprise me much, the fact they couldn’t adjust to a defense everyone seems able to figure out by halftime was a really really bad sign to me. Not that I was gonna be giving them a great chance to beat Uga anyways but now I give them next to none. You know they won’t have nearly the success running it so unless tigers do some real soul searching/figure out some way to deal w blitzes by a way way better defense id think they gonna get stomped. Don’t see how the heck they score 20 on the dawgs, I’m being generous saying even that high; and ya gotta think Uga can score 27-31 minimum.
One thing LSU has that nobody else does is Harold Perkins. I believe he can guard Bowers better than anyone we've seen so far. I'm not sure how LSU moves the ball consistently, but mobile QBs have given Kirby fits going back to his days at Alabama. My initial thoughts are that it will be close for a half, then UGA's depth wears them out. Though UGA's record against SEC West teams in that building isn't good. And LSU fans will show up.

One thing LSU has that nobody else does is Harold Perkins. I believe he can guard Bowers better than anyone we've seen so far. I'm not sure how LSU moves the ball consistently, but mobile QBs have given Kirby fits going back to his days at Alabama. My initial thoughts are that it will be close for a half, then UGA's depth wears them out. Though UGA's record against SEC West teams in that building isn't good. And LSU fans will show up.
I just can't unsee Jayden Daniels not getting it done when it really matters. He's definitely had a good year and players can improve but I want to see how he does against UgA's defense.

I just can't unsee Jayden Daniels not getting it done when it really matters. He's definitely had a good year and players can improve but I want to see how he does against UgA's defense.
From what I've seen, he plays smart with the football and doesn't take unnecessary risks. Giving the ball to UGA via turnovers is instant death. Oddly enough, Bennett has been a little looser with the ball than he has been. For LSU to win, they would definitely need a clean game on their end and get some help from UGA

I actually think the competition level in the PAC 12 is very high this year and very entertaining. Throw in Oregon State and a Washington State team that is better than usual, an improved Zona team and it's a really good league. Maybe there are no elite teams, and elite teams are fine, I respect them. But watching the Big Ten, there are not many good teams or ones that can really challenge Ohio State or Michigan. I mean....I suppose Ohio State and Michigan are elite, but they are so rarely tested and challenged, I really don't know how good they are. Would rather see a team play a bunch of close games and maybe lose a couple and earn some tough wins (Alabama) than see Ohio State yawn their way through a soft schedule. The SEC is typically pretty deep. The Big Xll is very competitive this year and it is great. There are a lot of good football teams and a lot of good football games and I don't mean to imply you personally don't appreciate it, but I feel like nationally the focus is so myopic on the playoff that so many good teams, some very good teams and games are overlooked just because they don't fit the playoff discussion.
The pac 12 has been infinitely more entertaining than the big 10 this year despite the big 10 having 2 legit playoff contenders.

The majority of the big 10 has been unwatchable.

No rematches!
I guess there is a path to not having a rematch. UGA vs Ohio St is the game we all want to see, outside of a few other fanbases. I do think Tennessee on a neutral field against UGA could be intriguing, though I completely understand the sentiment that they already had their chance. A second straight all-SEC final, and 3rd in 5 seasons may get us to a 12 team playoff by April

I guess there is a path to not having a rematch. UGA vs Ohio St is the game we all want to see, outside of a few other fanbases. I do think Tennessee on a neutral field against UGA could be intriguing, though I completely understand the sentiment that they already had their chance. A second straight all-SEC final, and 3rd in 5 seasons may get us to a 12 team playoff by April
TCU is the one offense that could score 40+ on either of them

They're also the defense that could give up 75+

I'll be rooting for upsets, the same thing I root for every week, dogs that bark with a bite!

I was shocked at how poorly Baylor played on Saturday. Give K-State credit but that was a complete fold by Baylor. I love Aranda and continue to like the way he coaches but I'm still shaking my head after that game.

Baylor was one of the games that sunk me. I had planned to play Baylor vs TCU. Now after such a poor showing last week I'm split on if it actually enhances the chance that Baylor brings supreme effort, or if such an effort no longer exists?

san diego state start passing ? how they score 40 points against san jose ? i checked my under score and went to bed

Baylor was one of the games that sunk me. I had planned to play Baylor vs TCU. Now after such a poor showing last week I'm split on if it actually enhances the chance that Baylor brings supreme effort, or if such an effort no longer exists?

I'm banking on Baylor playing well as I trust Aranda.

But I trusted him last Saturday as well.

Question for smarter people on this board, something I know has been discussed.. Don't recall who it was I watching Saturday afternoon. Moved into range to kick a gimme FG to win the game. They let the clock wind down to kick the FG as time expired, on 3rd down.

Other than not giving the team one last play, what is downside to kicking that FG with 15 seconds left, in case of a bad snap to the holder / the holder drops the snap? Thereby giving you another chance to kick the FG.

Question for smarter people on this board, something I know has been discussed.. Don't recall who it was I watching Saturday afternoon. Moved into range to kick a gimme FG to win the game. They let the clock wind down to kick the FG as time expired, on 3rd down.

Other than not giving the team one last play, what is downside to kicking that FG with 15 seconds left, in case of a bad snap to the holder / the holder drops the snap? Thereby giving you another chance to kick the FG.
Was it a tie game? Letting clock go all the way down virtually assures OT at the worst

Was it a tie game? Letting clock go all the way down virtually assures OT at the worst

It was OU / West Va and, yes, the score was tied. I think the additional question I had on it was that it was raining, thus making the snap to the holder dicey.

That's definitely an angle you pointed out.

It would be the third in six seasons, not five, but I generally agree.

It would be the third in six seasons, not five, but I generally agree.
Think this belongs in playoff discussion thread but we'll get there at some point...

Saw some rankings that have UGA Ten 1 & 4.

No way that happens. Much like last year, they'll alter the standings to not have a rematch in a semifinal.

No way that happens. Much like last year, they'll alter the standings to not have a rematch in a semifinal.
Wouldn't a rematch in the champ game be an even worse scenario from a ratings/financial perspective?

Alienating every other region of America for the champ game seems problematic.

These NYE semifinal bloodbath games seem to be a ratings wash anyway.

Wouldn't a rematch in the champ game be an even worse scenario from a ratings/financial perspective?

Alienating every other region of America for the champ game seems problematic.

These NYE semifinal bloodbath games seem to be a ratings wash anyway.
Not disagreeing.

They moved them last year though, to have a rematch.

Not disagreeing.

They moved them last year though, to have a rematch.
Yep, I just wonder if that precedent has been set and it's something they won't deviate from.

Not sure what explanation they would for Tenn hopping an undefeated big 12 champion in TCU.

san diego state start passing ? how they score 40 points against san jose ? i checked my under score and went to bed

Only reason I didn’t bet sjst was cause rest my day went so shitty I took my ball and went home, that score surprised the hell out of me when I saw it. Box score too, it pretty shocking to see sdst throw for 250+ on anyone let alone a pretty good d. Although maybe they have found something w Mayden, he has put up better passing numbers in last month than anything I recall out of Aztecs in recent years!

I think the San Diego State game for San Jose has to be view like this...San Jose played like crap vs Colorado State and Nevada, the only reason they go those wins were because they were playing CSU and UNR - those teams don't know how to win and San Jose was at home for both of those games. San Jose has fallen off the tracks, here they had a lead, but not only did they lose the lead, San Diego ended up blowing them out (I think there was a 41-6 Aztec run in that game) - to me that is more of an indictment on San Jose's current play than it is some kind of elevation for San Diego.

I think the San Diego State game for San Jose has to be view like this...San Jose played like crap vs Colorado State and Nevada, the only reason they go those wins were because they were playing CSU and UNR - those teams don't know how to win and San Jose was at home for both of those games. San Jose has fallen off the tracks, here they had a lead, but not only did they lose the lead, San Diego ended up blowing them out (I think there was a 41-6 Aztec run in that game) - to me that is more of an indictment on San Jose's current play than it is some kind of elevation for San Diego.

Im just looking at Aztecs the last month since this Mayden kid took over. I havnt actually seen them or him so I’m just going off numbers, they have had a way stronger passing attack since he came in than anytime I recall in recent years. The competition level obviously questionable but you can’t play 4-5 MW teams this year without saying that, the only loss was a 4 point loss to Fresno as 11 point dogs in a game they lead throughout before letting fresno outscore them 15-0 in 4th. Not saying they great, nobody in mw is this year (boise does look way better since the qb and oc moves) but I had pretty much dismissed them this year cause I knew how awful that scrub who transferee ffom Vatech was, putting a guy that bad into this offense just reeked of being terrible. They def better than awful right now with this kid playing qb.

Im just looking at Aztecs the last month since this Mayden kid took over. I havnt actually seen them or him so I’m just going off numbers, they have had a way stronger passing attack since he came in than anytime I recall in recent years. The competition level obviously questionable but you can’t play 4-5 MW teams this year without saying that, the only loss was a 4 point loss to Fresno as 11 point dogs in a game they lead throughout before letting fresno outscore them 15-0 in 4th. Not saying they great, nobody in mw is this year (boise does look way better since the qb and oc moves) but I had pretty much dismissed them this year cause I knew how awful that scrub who transferee ffom Vatech was, putting a guy that bad into this offense just reeked of being terrible. They def better than awful right now with this kid playing qb.

He is a competent QB for them. But just the week before the San Jose game, look at their UNLV game = bad. They did have a good offensive game vs Fresno, but then look one week prior to Nevada = bad. Then Hawaii was his first start.

I am not ready to say that San Jose or Fresno is what the Aztec O will be...because I also saw it vs UNLV and Nevada

He is a competent QB for them. But just the week before the San Jose game, look at their UNLV game = bad. They did have a good offensive game vs Fresno, but then look one week prior to Nevada = bad. Then Hawaii was his first start.

I am not ready to say that San Jose or Fresno is what the Aztec O will be...because I also saw it vs UNLV and Nevada

Point totals were bad, his passing numbers were a lot better than I’m used to seeing from sdst. Nevada gm was the only one that was bad in that regard.

Point totals were bad, his passing numbers were a lot better than I’m used to seeing from sdst. Nevada gm was the only one that was bad in that regard.

You can take my word for it, San Diego State offense vs UNLV was as bad as you have seen their O. If he had good numbers then would say it was probably concentrated on a few drives where they moved the ball and then their other 75% of possessions were typical awful SD St O.

SJSU hasn't been particularly good since I bet them to win the MWC before the Fresno game.

Back