Week 11 What Are We Learning

It been weeks with such a uneventful, boring day, so of course this 1st Saturday I have gotten to sit around and watch whole time. lol. At least the night slate looks promising.

I've got nothing left with Sarkisian. No more. Want to love the guy but he continues to play a QB who is not equipped to play the position. NIL $? Check.
Decision making, deep ball, pocket presence, and other? Not so much.

The Texas defense deserved to win the game tonight. But their coach, again, as in the Oklahoma State game, chose to continue playing a QB who wasn't equipped to win the game. And, as a result, Sarkisian let the entire team down. You can't afford to do that.

I'm on 13 years of mediocrity as a Texas fan. With no end in sight.

Horrible coaching in the night slate.

Just brutal.
I don't watch much college, not much time to, but caught some of the WF game. Their QB makes some really piss pore decisions. But to your point, they were up 1 with 5:00 to play & snapping the ball with over 20 seconds on the play clock. WTF are you thinking?!?!

As I mentioned in either ML Dogs or Discussion, the pac12 continues to cannibalize itself. I thought UW had a chance but they would have likely lost that game if Canning would have punted late. What a stupid decision. I didn't catch the AZ game but really gave them no chance in Pasadena.

Alabama played with an intensity in the 2nd half that I haven't seen in a couple seasons. Was nice to see. Still almost lost because of inept playcalling on both sides, but at least it gives me confidence that they'll finish the season strong. Shame that it took this long. Think this roster could have been the best team this year, but coaching and and mindset, and schedule let me down. Going to be an interesting offseason for Alabama for sure

I don't watch much college, not much time to, but caught some of the WF game. Their QB makes some really piss pore decisions. But to your point, they were up 1 with 5:00 to play & snapping the ball with over 20 seconds on the play clock. WTF are you thinking?!?!
That's their offense. That doesn't bother me as when these two teams play, you have to keep scoring due to bad defense.

In that game, both teams could have kicked FGs in 4th and just kept going for it.

And USC ain't winning out.

I hate the idea that Tenn and the osu/mich loser will get a free ride into the playoffs.
I'll admit, I am too.

As VK would say, win your conference. Period.

This could be the year though when the top 4 teams are actually those exact 4.

UConn is 5-1 at home, straight up!

I'm sure you guys talked about it in-game...Virginia threw two-pick sixes...on the first two plays of the game! There was 14:44 left in the 1Q and Pitt led 14-0! Yeah, I had Virginia

WVU blew a 1H cover when they failed to make a clean hold on xpt, then failed to obtain the ball and OU player scooped it up for 2pts the other way and I lose another WVU bet at the end of a half

Ohio State failed on a 4th-short opportunity in the final minutes of the 1H that would've likely allowed them to cover. OSU short yardage rushing O is poor

Missouri - Tennessee was 24-28 about 8min left in the 3rd Q...Vols won 66-24

Vandy snaps 26 game SEC losing streak at UK! Kentucky has lost to Vandy, lost to South Carolina and beat Missouri by 4

SMU - USF was tied 17-17 HT. Did you have USF+17.5? I did. USF scored TD with 1:46 left and went for 2 which failed to lose by 18

Rutgers scored on 4th-28 with a 31y TD :47 left for the cover.

ULM scored two non offensive TDs. After falling behind 10-21, ULM D stepped up and Warhawks won 31-28

Rice threw 4 INTs and lost 2 fumbles while only scoring 1 TD on 3 RZ trips

Holgerson almost had another ugly loss to his name

UMass outgained Arkansas State 475-275 - but lost 33-35! Ark St had 68y of O at HT! UMass only scored 3 TDs on 6 RZ trips while ASU was 3-for-3. ASU did lead 35-19 entering the 4th. Redwolves had a pick-six as part of their scoring.

NC State led 14-0 and 20-7, but Boston College would come back with the game winning TD catch :14 left to win 21-20! NC St lost 4 TOs, BC lost 3

Louisville QB Malik Cunningham was injured on a time expiring scramble at the end of the 1H. He DNP 2H.

Tulane and App State got in holes they couldn't climb out of - UCF ran for 336

Army led 9-0 HT, I believe that Troy ran a total of 15 plays in the 1H! But Troy came back and Army missed a would-be game winning FG in the final seconds

Ole Miss had 1st down at AL14 and 4 shots at the EZ trailing by 6 and failed to score. Ole miss outgained them 403-317

Spencer Sanders came off the bench in the 4th Q to lead a comeback vs ISU

Iowa won the Iowa way. A blk'd punt, a big punt return and a pick-six. Iowa scored 3 TDs there off just 35y of O! Iowa only had 142 total yards (2.1ypp). Wisconsin D had 6 sacks (12 TFLs), Iowa D had 4 (9 TFLs).

Following advice learned here, I bet against New Mexico in the 2H...too bad I'm a little late to the party

UAB jumped out 14-0, but North Texas scored 21 unanswered and it was 21-17 HT lead for UNT. They were shutout in the 2H and UAB won 41-21 with a 505-264 total yard edge.

UTSA D allowed a season low yardage and forced 5 turnovers in their blowout vs LaTech

South Carolina's only pts scored were on a fake punt, blowout city - 515-237 TY edge with 374 rushing yards for the Gators!

Kansas State held Baylor to their fewest points ever in the series (20 games). Will Howard came off the bench early again

Some Oregon defensive issues were fully revealed vs Washington. Ducks have given up six 50+ yard passing TDs this year (UW hit a 76 and 62 yarder). Ducks did not generate a pass rush (95th entering this game ncaa sacks) and their 128th 3rd down D was exposed. UW only faced nine 3rd downs, but converted 5 of them.

Oregon went for a 4th down deep in their own territory in the final minute and half with their backup QB. It failed when the RB slipped. Oregon has been ultra aggressive all year on 4th down and onside kicks, it caught up to them here.

Mississippi State returned a punt for TD in the final seconds of the 2Q to get the 1H cover.

Wyoming came from behind with their backup QB to win the Border War. CSU was primed for the upset the crowd was great. But CSU scored 0 TDs on 3 RZ trips (2 FGs and INT). At the end of the 1H CSU blew a chance to add to their lead when WR Horton kept running as the clock expired, he did make it down to the W03 after a 40y catch and run, but there was :00 left. Had he fallen down or ran out of bounds CSU could've attempted a FG atleast. Horton also muffed a punt in the 2H that put WYO on a short field where they scored 1 of their 2 TDs.

New coach, same result for FIU - a blowout loss vs their biggest rival. FAU wins 52-7

Texas only TD was a scoop and score late in the 4th Q

I know it isn't realistic for him head coach at Auburn next year, but man I love Carnell Williams as Auburn's head coach!

Syracuse drops their 4th straight after opening 6-0

Utah only led 14-7 HT over Stanford. Utes had something like a 14-2 FD edge at HT and finished the game with a 514-177 total yard edge! Taivon Thomas is officially back in the good graces and all of that 22att-180y-2TD

Not sure what happened with Zona - UCLA. I hate falling asleep on these late games and it is happening almost all the time now

Really disappointing loss for Hawaii. They outgained Utah State 541-374. UH was -4 TOs, one of which USU ret'd for a pick-six. USU Offense only had 74 2H yards. They tried making a comeback late, down 7 after kicking a FG, but their onside kick with :18 left was recovered by USU.

I'll admit, I am too.

As VK would say, win your conference. Period.

This could be the year though when the top 4 teams are actually those exact 4.
I am fine with the best 4 teams playing, no matter what conference they are in. May not be popular opinion, and of course, "best" is subjective, but at the end of the day, it makes for good debate and all that, and we will all still bet on the games in the midst of all the complaining haha. GO HEELS!

I'm sure you guys talked about it in-game...Virginia threw two-pick sixes...on the first two plays of the game! There was 14:44 left in the 1Q and Pitt led 14-0! Yeah, I had Virginia

WVU blew a 1H cover when they failed to make a clean hold on xpt, then failed to obtain the ball and OU player scooped it up for 2pts the other way and I lose another WVU bet at the end of a half

Ohio State failed on a 4th-short opportunity in the final minutes of the 1H that would've likely allowed them to cover. OSU short yardage rushing O is poor

Vandy snaps 26 game SEC losing streak at UK! Kentucky has lost to Vandy, lost to South Carolina and beat Missouri by 4

SMU - USF was tied 17-17 HT. Did you have USF+17.5? I did. USF scored TD with 1:46 left and went for 2 which failed to lose by 18

ULM scored two non offensive TDs. After falling behind 10-21, ULM D stepped up and Warhawks won 31-28

UMass outgained Arkansas State 475-275 - but lost 33-35! Ark St had 68y of O at HT! UMass only scored 3 TDs on 6 RZ trips while ASU was 3-for-3. ASU did lead 35-19 entering the 4th. Redwolves had a pick-six as part of their scoring.

NC State led 14-0 and 20-7, but Boston College would come back with the game winning TD catch :14 left to win 21-20! NC St lost 4 TOs, BC lost 3

Louisville QB Malik Cunningham was injured on a time expiring scramble at the end of the 1H. He DNP 2H.

Army led 9-0 HT, I believe that Troy ran a total of 15 plays in the 1H! But Troy came back and Army missed a would-be game winning FG in the final seconds

Ole Miss had 1st down at AL14 and 4 shots at the EZ trailing by 6 and failed to score. Ole miss outgained them 403-317

Iowa won the Iowa way. A blk'd punt, a big punt return and a pick-six. Iowa scored 3 TDs there off just 35y of O! Iowa only had 142 total yards (2.1ypp). Wisconsin D had 6 sacks (12 TFLs), Iowa D had 4 (9 TFLs).

Following advice learned here, I bet against New Mexico in the 2H...too bad I'm a little late to the party

UAB jumped out 14-0, but North Texas scored 21 unanswered and it was 21-17 HT lead for UNT. They were shutout in the 2H and UAB won 41-21 with a 505-264 total yard edge.

UTSA D allowed a season low yardage and forced 5 turnovers in their blowout vs LaTech

South Carolina's only pts scored were on a fake punt, blowout city - 515-237 TY edge with 374 rushing yards!

Kansas State held Baylor to their fewest points ever in the series (20 games). Will Howard came off the bench early again

Some Oregon defensive issues were fully revealed vs Washington. Ducks have given up six 50+ yard passing TDs this year (UW hit a 76 and 62 yarder). Ducks did not generate a pass rush (95th entering this game ncaa sacks) and their 128th 3rd down D was exposed. UW only faced nine 3rd downs, but converted 5 of them.

Oregon went for a 4th down deep in their own territory in the final minute and half with their backup QB. It failed when the RB slipped. Oregon has been ultra aggressive all year on 4th down and onside kicks, it caught up to them here.

Mississippi State returned a punt for TD in the final seconds of the 2Q to get the 1H cover.

Wyoming came from behind with their backup QB to win the Border War. CSU was primed for the upset the crowd was great. But CSU scored 0 TDs on 3 RZ trips (2 FGs and INT). At the end of the 1H CSU blew a chance to add to their lead when WR Horton kept running as the clock expired, he did make it down to the W03 after a 40y catch and run, but there was :00 left. Had he fallen down or ran out of bounds CSU could've attempted a FG atleast. Horton also muffed a punt in the 2H that put WYO on a short field where they scored 1 of their 2 TDs.

New coach, same result for FIU - a blowout loss vs their biggest rival. FAU wins 52-7

I know it isn't realistic for him head coach at Auburn next year, but man I love Carnell Williams as Auburn's head coach!

Utah only led 14-7 HT over Stanford. Utes had something like a 14-2 FD edge at HT and finished the game with a 514-177 total yard edge! Taivon Thomas is officially back in the good graces and all of that 22att-180y-2TD

Not sure what happened with Zona - UCLA. I hate falling asleep on these late games and it is happening almost all the time now

Really disappointing loss for Hawaii. They outgained Utah State 541-374. UH was -4 TOs, one of which USU ret'd for a pick-six. USU Offense only had 74 2H yards. They tried making a comeback late, down 7 after kicking a FG, but their onside kick with :18 left was recovered by USU.
Great soundbites, always appreciate checking out your thoughts each week, but c'mon man, no mention of my Heels?!?!?!

Great soundbites, always appreciate checking out your thoughts each week, but c'mon man, no mention of my Heels?!?!?!

I was trying to be concise and I don't know what take to have on that game. WF live HT +2.5 covered was kind of my only point of view. I'll leave you to enlghten us on the UNC perspective.

I am fine with the best 4 teams playing, no matter what conference they are in. May not be popular opinion, and of course, "best" is subjective, but at the end of the day, it makes for good debate and all that, and we will all still bet on the games in the midst of all the complaining haha. GO HEELS!
I think the point is that tenn and Osu/mich will have already had their ‘elimination game’. A playoff trip (without having to play in the conf champ game) should not be the consolation prize.

I think the point is that tenn and Osu/mich will have already had their ‘elimination game’. A playoff trip (without having to play in the conf champ game) should not be the consolation prize.
Going back to 2006, this was the mantra as well.

Looking at the other side here... Let's say UM loses to OSU ...

Tenn and UM both lost on road. One factor to look at.

Also, let's say the first of a rematch goes down to the last minute -- definitely a factor.

All of this is fodder right now till we get past Thanksgiving Weekend.

I think the point is to get to the best 4 teams so I am fine with the outcome if at the end of the day that's what we get. There is no perfect system, so I just choose not to worry too much about it as I actually think the NCAA Tournament is a much more flawed set up than CFB is and I love love love college basketball.

South Carolina's only pts scored were on a fake punt, blowout city - 515-237 TY edge with 374 rushing yards for the Gators!

Great post. That 4th and 1 attempt for ducks was the difference. I get not wanting to give them the ball back but when time is your biggest ally punt the damn ball and make them march it down the field.

I think the wyo backup QB is a former walk on safety at Utah. Nice story.

If Tavion Thomas keeps doing the right things off of the field and keeps himself in game shape he could be big for a banged up offense over their next three and possibly four games. You know he's fresh. Utah's defense has come a long way from opening week, the DL is might and day different and that's with losing Fillinger at DE.

That 4th and 1 attempt for ducks we the difference. I get not wanting to voice them the ball back but when time is your biggest ally punt the damn ball and make them march it down the field.

It certainly was as things ended up. I did want to point to some other things that led up to that point. The 35 pt 3rd Q, neither team could stop the other. We know that Oregon beat UCLA and that UCLA moved it at will on them, but I actually did not fully know how poor Oregon's D has been...like getting pressure and 3rd downs and big plays allowed. Leading up to this game I know we were all more suspicious of the Washington D when in reality, Oregon was no better.

The point on being agressive, if it is 2pt conversions, or 4th down call literally anywhere on the field, onside kicks - it's all great when it works. But eventually it doesn't. It might win you a game here or there, but eventually it is going to cost you a game as well. It seems like many of the young coaches are just like "this is who we are and who we will be - aggressive" instead of more measured. You can be aggressive, but weigh it all out. Gotta make quick decisions though, it's easier if you just follow one way or thinking.

Lanning would say that if they punt the ball there Washington might win anyway. Oregon's D had difficulty stopping them. I am going to reserve criticism on it. I didn't benefit from it one way or the other as I just had UW ATS not ML, so I didnt care who won. It's the way coaches are wired now. If the RB doesn't slip, do they pick it up? Looked like a UW defender was ready to meet him, but imagine for a minute if they convert there and go on to win the game. The coach is heralded it. They get paid to make those decisions and have to live with them.

I was trying to be concise and I don't know what take to have on that game. WF live HT +2.5 covered was kind of my only point of view. I'll leave you to enlghten us on the UNC perspective.
I was just giving you a hard time, as I always enjoy reading your quick soundbites the day after!

Tenn and UM both lost on road. One factor to look at.

Also, let's say the first of a rematch goes down to the last minute -- definitely a factor.
I agree. And sometimes weird shit happens and the better team doesn't necessarily win. That's sports for ya.

But at the end of the day the results of the game have to matter. Otherwise we dilute the process. osu/mich is a playoff game this year. There needn't be a part 2. Especially when the winner of the game has to then go on to beat another team in the conf championship while the loser rests up at home. It's ass backwards.

Last edited:
I agree. And sometimes weird shit happens and the better team doesn't necessarily win. That's sports for ya.

But at the end of the day the results of the game has to matter. Otherwise we dilute the process. osu/mich is a playoff game this year. There needn't be a part 2. Especially when the winner of the game has to then go on to beat another team in the conf championship while the loser rests up at home. It's ass backwards.

How do I like something more than once!

But at the end of the day the results of the game has to matter. Otherwise we dilute the process. osu/mich is a playoff game this year. There needn't be a part 2. Especially when the winner of the game has to then go on to beat another team in the conf championship while the loser rests up at home. It's ass backwards.
If TCU and USC both lose, who would you put in after the Big Ten and SEC Champs? My Heels if we win out and beat Clemson? :cool:

Agree.

Now, that's another element.

The championship game will be maybe the weakest opponent since this was implemented.

If TCU and USC both lose, who would you put in after the Big Ten and SEC Champs? My Heels if we win out and beat Clemson? :cool:
BAR isn't paying me enough as a salaried message board poster to figure out the answer to such difficult questions:confused:

But this is why I'm in favor of less teams and not more when it comes to the playoffs.

The BCS would've been a home run this year.

Agree.

Now, that's another element.

The championship game will be maybe the weakest opponent since this was implemented.
True but some years may have a really difficult opponent in the conf championship.

So we're setting a bad precedent here.

BAR isn't paying me enough as a salaried message board poster to figure out the answer to such difficult questions:confused:

But this is why I'm in favor of less teams and not more when it comes to the playoffs.

The BCS would've been a home run this year.
What's BCS showing currently?

(No sarcasm, I posted that somewhere a few weeks ago).

Also, if osu/mich played at the beginning of the season I could see an argument for playoff inclusion for both teams. In the same way we were prepared to give that leniency to Oregon before Lanning decided to coach that game while high off acid.

But the whole dang point of this rivalry has been that it's the last game of the season and it's for all the marbles.

Last edited:

Pound for pound, UConn hiring Jim Mora might be the best coaching hire in cfb in a long time. We're talking a bottom 5-10 program here with a guy who should realistically be coaching a decent p5 program

UGA gave up a punt return under a minute left in the 1H to kill my UGA 1H -8.

To make things worse for Oregon, Bo Nix was asking his coach to put him in the game right before the 4th down play where the RB slipped but they did not call a TO to get him back into the game. Nix then went back into the game on their next series which was their final series.

Really pac-12? I knew this felt like a very ducks week to shit the bed and in fairness to them huskies a real team, still they were at home as dd favs so pretty awful but not surprising since they were starting to be talked bout as potentially making playoff despite the week 1 disaster in Atlanta.

Ucla tho? Yes Arizona is much improved and has a offense that can score on most anyone but 20 point favs and you bite the dust? I thought these guys were the pac-12 best chance, the loss at Oregon wasn’t bad, thought they were better/gonna beat usc, still might, probably even more likely they beat usc now (unless Irish end up finishing this conf off).

A year the pac-12 finally looks interesting w more than one quality team, several actually, around the top 10 and doesn’t matter it still the same ol same ol, maybe they don’t wanna go to playoff and get exposed? This way nobody goes and gets doors blown off by Uga so they can’t be called total frauds I suppose? Now the only thing left is for usc to slip up which feels inevitable, not cause I think they chokers as much as I just don’t think the d is good enough to beat ucla, Irish, and whomever they would play in pac-12 championship now? Great job guys!!

Not saying I agree totally, but unless LSU wins SEC ship, Tenn likely in.
LSU beating UGA in the SEC Championship may blow up the whole thing. I don't think it will happen, but would love to see the mental gymnastics from the committee after that. 2 years in a row UGA gets a free pass, a 2 loss SEC Champion, a whole bunch of 1 loss teams asking why not us? It would be entertaining. I may even watch one of those shows for the first time ever

LSU beating UGA in the SEC Championship may blow up the whole thing. I don't think it will happen, but would love to see the mental gymnastics from the committee after that. 2 years in a row UGA gets a free pass, a 2 loss SEC Champion, a whole bunch of 1 loss teams asking why not us? It would be entertaining. I may even watch one of those shows for the first time ever

I been big on lsu as the season has went on but watching yesterday all I could think was Uga/Kirby gotta be laughing so hard watching every blitz hogs threw at them get home! Im not buying the spot or any that noise for the reason tigers offense couldn’t do much of anything vs a defense everyone picks apart. it was pretty much as simple as hogs blitzing and lsu being clueless on how to deal with it! It got to the point it made no sense to me that lsu was even attempting passes cause ark d being what it is you can gash them w the run just as easily the pass and they certainly wernt stopping lsu run game, tigers killed 3-4 their own drives choosing to attempt a pass on early downs which lead to having to try and pass to pick up 1st, which lead to a crazy amount of sacks!

The 1st half was one thing, that didn’t really surprise me much, the fact they couldn’t adjust to a defense everyone seems able to figure out by halftime was a really really bad sign to me. Not that I was gonna be giving them a great chance to beat Uga anyways but now I give them next to none. You know they won’t have nearly the success running it so unless tigers do some real soul searching/figure out some way to deal w blitzes by a way way better defense id think they gonna get stomped. Don’t see how the heck they score 20 on the dawgs, I’m being generous saying even that high; and ya gotta think Uga can score 27-31 minimum.

A year the pac-12 finally looks interesting w more than one quality team, several actually, around the top 10 and doesn’t matter it still the same ol same ol

If you boil it down to only the playoff is all that matters, then yeah, maybe now the PAC 12 is not as interesting. To me, the loss by Oregon and UCLA yesterday doesn't lessen my interest in the PAC 12, it actually enhances it because now there are more unknowns on what is going to happen for the conference title race and what the tie breakers might be.

USC 7-1
Oregon 6-1
Utah 6-1
UCLA 5-2
Wash 5-2

USC will play UCLA. Oregon will play Utah. It's good. This is one thing, among many others, that bothers me about the conversations and attention the playoff gets - it makes it seem like that is all that matters. It's not and it shouldn't be.

What UGA is doing without the their best wr and losing the turnover margin the last few games is incredible. Literally murking teams.

If you boil it down to only the playoff is all that matters, then yeah, maybe now the PAC 12 is not as interesting. To me, the loss by Oregon and UCLA yesterday doesn't lessen my interest in the PAC 12, it actually enhances it because now there are more unknowns on what is going to happen for the conference title race and what the tie breakers might be.

USC 7-1
Oregon 6-1
Utah 6-1
UCLA 5-2
Wash 5-2

USC will play UCLA. Oregon will play Utah. It's good. This is one thing, among many others, that bothers me about the conversations and attention the playoff gets - it makes it seem like that is all that matters. It's not and it shouldn't be.
You're dead on with that last statement. It's infected the brains of most fans everywhere.

USC 7-1
Oregon 6-1
Utah 6-1
UCLA 5-2
Wash 5-2

I don’t even care bout playoff but it does matter and the fact pac-12 teams constantly shit themselves when they have a path to make it lessons them to me. I didn’t say it wasn’t interesting but the fact none of them good enough to be one the top 4 makes their battle for the conf less to me.

Back