Week 10 (11/1-11/3) CFB Picks and News

LIFE ON THE MARGINS, WEEK NINE
By SMQ
Posted on Tue Oct 30, 2007 at 11:35:13 AM EDT

Weekly obsessing over statistical anomalies and fringe idiosyncracies. Don’t get carried away by these scores from last weekend...
(As always, click here for a definition of 'Swing points')

<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3"> <tbody><tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(164, 74, 74) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="center">South Carolina</td> <td align="center">Tennessee</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Total Offense</td> <td align="center">501</td> <td align="center">317</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="right">1st Downs</td> <td align="center">31</td> <td align="center">16</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Yds./Play</td> <td align="center">5.6</td> <td align="center">4.3</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="right">Yds./Possession</td> <td align="center">37.1</td> <td align="center">24.4</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Turnovers</td> <td align="center">4</td> <td align="center">1</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="right">Swing Points</td> <td align="center">0</td> <td align="center">+10</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Final Score: Tennessee 27, South Carolina 24 (OT)
- - -
There was the ending, of course, which is still driving me crazy three days after the fact:
  • I don't care who wins, but endings like this one almost make me sick for the utter randomness of it all. It's one thing to lose a game in which you outgain your opponent by 200 yards, hold the ball for almost an entire quarter longer and earn twice as many first downs - Carolina did, after all, turn the ball over four times, and that's what happens to a team that turns the ball over four times no matter what other good it does. But to lose because one of your opponent's linemen flinched before its kicker badly missed a field goal in overtime and nobody happened to break any rules when your kicker missed...that's the kind of ending that would drive me insane if I was Steve Spurrier.
    - - -
Tennessee currently controls its own destiny in the East and has traditionally dominated its November schedule, which this year consists of UL-Lafayette, Arkansas, Vanderbilt and Kentucky – a 4-0 finish puts UT in the SEC Championship. And still I don’t think we saw anything different from the Vols Saturday and find it difficult to be optimistic about this team’s fate. They’ve played one really impressive game to date, against Georgia, and have been trounced three times by good teams (Cal, Florida and Alabama). On paper, the win Saturday was much closer to those embarrassing defeats than it was to the UGA win, with the exception of a few timely breaks: the fumble that set up UT’s first touchdown, an atrocious, unforced interception by Blake Mitchell that killed a potential USC scoring drive in the fourth quarter, a Mike Williams fumble that killed another long drive (65 yards) on the next possession and, of course, the opportune flag in overtime that gave Daniel Lincoln a second chance that Ryan Succop did not get. Otherwise, when you get down to blocking, tackling, execution and moving the ball, Tennessee didn’t do much to suggest it’s really the team to beat in the division – as opposed to Georgia, for example, which played probably the biggest game of its regular season like a team taking control of its destiny. The Vols still hold the tiebreaker, but at some point in the next month they have to look more like the team that earned it by hammering the Bulldogs to keep it, don’t they?

<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3"> <tbody><tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(164, 74, 74) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="center">Michigan State</td> <td align="center">Iowa</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Total Offense</td> <td align="center">468</td> <td align="center">283</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="right">1st Downs</td> <td align="center">23</td> <td align="center">13</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Yds./Play</td> <td align="center">4.9</td> <td align="center">4.8</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="right">Yds./Possession</td> <td align="center">37.1</td> <td align="center">24.4</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Turnovers</td> <td align="center">1</td> <td align="center">0</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="right">Swing Points</td> <td align="center">+7</td> <td align="center">0</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Final Score: Iowa 34, Michigan State 27 (2OT)
- - -
The yardage numbers are somewhat skewed because MSU ran about 35 more plays, but it’s still kind of shocking how little Iowa did offensively in this game: the Hawkeyes had four scoring drives in regulation, of 54, 30, 75 and 11 yards, and didn’t manage a single first down on any of their other nine possessions – that’s eight three-and-outs and a missed field goal on a short field in 13 possessions. Jake Christensen finished when 53 yards passing. For the game: 53 yards passing. And 30 of those were in overtime. This is the totality of Iowa’s passing game in regulation:
  • Jake Christensen pass incomplete.
    Jake Christensen pass incomplete.
    Jake Christensen sacked by Ervin Baldwin at the Iowa 14 for a loss of 11 yards.
    Jake Christensen pass complete to Colin Sandeman for 9 yards to the MchSt 11.
    Jake Christensen pass complete to James Cleveland for 10 yards to the Iowa 35 for a 1ST down.
    Jake Christensen pass complete to Brandon Myers for 5 yards to the Iowa 19 for a 1ST down.*
    - - -
    * - The play-by-play says “pass complete for 1st down,” but it was a five-yard completion on 3rd-and-5 and the next play is somehow listed as a Hawkeye punt on 1st-and-10 (for 81 yards!), so I think we can assume that’s a typo. Possibly a spot overturned on review?
I’ve never seen a line like that from a scholarship quarterback. But where Brian Hoyer passed for 309 yards on the other side and the Spartans totally dominated the clock, Christensen was at least able to avoid turning the ball over, Albert Young had one of those classic workhorse games (34 carries, 179 yards, 2 touchdowns) and the Hawkeyes took advantage of their few opportunities, the big one coming in the third quarter after a 41-yard punt return by Aaron Bates and a tacked-on personal foul penalty, setting up a 26-yard touchdown for Young two plays later. Notes: By first downs and yardage, Texas Tech wiped the field with Colorado in a 31-26 loss, but besides one interception return, the Buffaloes’ points came on mostly long offensive drives (touchdown marches of 91, 75 and 75 yards) and the yardage disparity didn’t emerge until the Buffs went into a hole in the fourth quarter as the Raiders were still in comeback mode. Colorado led this game 31-13 late in the third and doesn’t appear to have ever been in much jeopardy.

CLEMSON’S SPECIAL TEAMS ARE INCREDIBLE

We know that Tommy Bowden’s head is on the chopping block for the fifth season in a row at Clemson, meaning that you think the man would take some offensive chances once in a while. He really didn’t need to against Maryland this Saturday in a game where both James Davis (129 yds, 29 carries) and C.J. Spiller (106 yds, 17 carries) both gained over 100 yards in a 30-17 win.
This achievement gave Bowden untold points in his NCAA 2007 profile on XBox and also ensured that he could continue to ask Cullen Harper to make the short throws and efficient decision making that are hallmarks of the Rod Spence offense. It also meant that with a substantial lead, Bowden could Mouse around a bit if he chose to during the waning minutes of the game.
But going for a 434 yard field goal with 2 seconds left in the first half? Forget any complaints about Mark Richt. That is classless behavior of the tenth degree, and elicited the following comment from his father, Florida State coaching legend Bobby Bowden: “Applesauce mmmrrrph.”
1804470642_cdac597921.jpg

Classless by any means: the 434 yard field goal.
(Massive HT: KP.) The other telling bit from this outlandish attempt: with a field of around 500 yards in length, Maryland finally has an excuse why they, with offensive genius Ralph Friedgen in control of the offense now, the Terps linger at 82nd in total offense with a mere 23.88 points a game.

Commie Football Is Running Rampant!

Get your little red playbook!
So what does Michigan linebackers coach Steve Szabo think now that Michigan is done playing regular-season opponents who utilize the spread offense?

"We're happy about that. I call that communist football. I'm so tired of it. Good, red-blooded Americans snap the ball hand it to the guy and have a normal run game or pass game. It's not all that other stuff."

Defender of truth, justice, and only running it up the middle all the time!
But Szabo did not stop there. In a rant that can only be described as McCarthy-esque, he went on about how Communism was ruining the world of college football.

"I'm sick of how this read-option or spread-offense bullcrap is making Goddamn commies out of our young men. This whole system of "each man contributing to the best of his ability" is total bunk. Whatever happened to the elitist quarterback getting all the credit and piggybacking off the work of his supporting cast? Now THAT'S capitalist football! What about the running back who rises up through the ranks, stepping all over the offensive lineman who blazed the trail for him? That's the spirit!"

Szabo further elaborated. "There are too many of these horrible Pinkos in the game today. Dennis Dixon and Jonathan Stewart? You can bet those punks read their Little Red Books every night. Steve Slaton? Pat White? I bet the wear bright red jock straps under their blue and gold down in West Virginia. You know who the worst is? Tim Tebow. I heard he reads The Daily Worker every day before practice and is forming a communist sect within the Gators. What is the world of college football coming to? It's un-American!"

<table bgcolor="#ffffff" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="590"><tbody><tr width="590"><td background="http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/almanac/left.jpg" width="31">
</td> <td width="528"> Swindle’s Rule Number One: People never stop making the same mistakes and never learn. The latest example of this immutable, unchanging rule of existence? Found in U-Dub Dish this a.m., courtesy of Ty Willingham.
I mentioned this briefly the other day, but I want to say again that Coach Willingham never really seems to take blame on himself of his coaches when things go wrong…week in and week out, I continue to hear about missed assignments and guys playing out of position. Where does the buck stop? Seriously, who takes the blame for how bad things are right now?
That would not be Ty Willingham, who just responded to your question with a half-assed Taoist anecdote and pointed out a player by name. Willingham’s got realistic expectations, though–in fact, he’s confident enough to predict that Washington will go 5-7 the rest of the season, since that’s what the University of Washington bio has filled in for 2007’s tally already.
Florida State qb Xavier Lee has been suspended for two games due to violations of academic policy, a phrase which in plainer language could be called “benched for missing class.” Lee was the starter earlier in the season following his winning performance versus Alabama, but lost the job following poor play in several games including the Seminoles’ loss to Wake Forest on the road. If replacement Drew Weatherford is injured, Bowden plans to turn to “Peter Tom Willis or Marcus Outzen. They’re both doing real good in practice.”
John David Booty practiced with the first unit at USC on Monday, and will likely be the starter this weekend against the Beavers. Booty readies finger for struggle with Beavers. It had to be said.
Florida’s defense is shot full of holes in more ways than one: the Gators will be down to three healthy defensive tackles for the game against Vandy, including two freshmen. Hey, Vandy’s looking to get bowl eligible. Umm…so is Florida. SOMETHING’S GOT TO GIVE!!!
They’ll have to take me out of Auburn in a pine box. Tommy Tuberville addressed rumors of his leaving Auburn for an offer from Texas A&M:
Saturday, Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs told the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer that Tuberville and the school had made “a lifetime commitment” to each other. When asked about the comment Sunday, Tuberville appeared to agree — though he didn’t deny interest in other jobs.
“He pretty much got it right,” Tuberville said of Jacobs. “When we signed a contract a few years ago, it was a commitment on both sides. That’s all I can tell you about it.”
Why Tuberville would ever leave–especially after surviving Petrinogate and watching a University President get fired over it–is beyond rational understanding. However, this is the SEC, and rational thought is checked at the door along with many, many other pillars of Western thought.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

UW's Hasty Changes Mind, Returns to Team

Posted Oct 30th 2007 8:37AM by Sean Hawkins
Filed under: Washington Football, Pac 10
jrhasty_uwspring07.jpg
So much for the departure of UW running back J.R. Hasty. Last week it was widely reported that Hasty quit the Huskies, and would likely head for a I-AA school like Montana. Never mind. Hasty's family sat down with Tyrone Willingham and offensive coordinator Tim Lappano on Monday night and basically cleared the air. J.R. now intends to be at practice, most likely today.

"I've been doing a lot of thinking to see if I could play somewhere else or to see if I could get more opportunity, and I sat down with the coaches," he said. "We cleared some air out, all spoke our piece and things are going to change.

"We kind of ironed the whole thing out. They broke it down to me, why I wasn't getting a lot of practice reps. They said a lot of guys are trying to get the same, and I'm not trying to be selfish. I have a strong relationship with my teammates, and I never quit at anything -- especially football -- and not on the team and the state I love."​
That clearly doesn't sound like a kid who wants to bail, but there was a strong lack of communication here. There's still five games left in the season, so if Hasty does his job and competes the rest of the way it's very possible he'll get more playing time. But this is really an unexpected twist. You'd think they might have wanted to have the discussion before he quit the team and his dad bashed the coaching staff. I guess it took quitting the program to get their attention.

Bell out for the season

template_bas
template_bas

[COLOR=#333333 ! important]Leading rusher suffered a torn knee ligament against Washington State. Breazell is '50-50' for game against Arizona.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#999999 ! important]By Chris Foster, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
October 30, 2007 [/COLOR]
UCLA lost more Saturday than football game it was capable of winning.

Tailback Kahlil Bell, who was injured in the first quarter of a 27-7 loss to Washington State, is out for the season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, Coach Karl Dorrell said Monday. Surgery will be scheduled once the swelling goes down.

Also, wide receiver Brandon Breazell has bruised ribs and his chances of playing against Arizona on Saturday are "50-50," Dorrell said.

"We're going to have young players that are going to step up and have opportunities to play," Dorrell said. "They will have to come in and fill in some shoes. Not only fill in, but prove they are the quality player that can help this team improve."

Dorrell said sophomore tailback Christian Ramirez and receivers Ryan Graves, a junior, and Jamil Turner, a sophomore, could see more game time.

With Bell out, Chris Markey is expected to start. Dorrell said Markey has completely recovered from a toe injury that has limited him since the Oregon State game Sept. 29. He has had only 17 carries since that game.

Ramirez and Chane Moline will be used as backups, Dorrell said.

The wide receiver situation is a more difficult if Breazell misses the game. The Bruins are already without Marcus Everett, who is probably out for the season with a high ankle sprain. That leaves the Bruins without two of their three senior receivers.

Sophomores Terrence Austin and Dominique Johnson will have their time increased, while Graves and Turner are put into the mix.

"We all have to take responsibility," Austin said. "The whole receiver corps is accountable this week."

Linebacker Christian Taylor (concussion) has been cleared to resume practice, though he will be held out of contact drills today. . . . Defensive tackle Brigham Harwell (knee) will try to increase his workload. "We'll see what he can do this week in terms of productivity," Dorrell said. . . . Quarterback Patrick Cowan was, "no worse for wear," after playing on a sore knee, Dorrell said. But, the coach added, "We will monitor him pretty well at the beginning of the week." . . . Quarterback Ben Olson, out with a knee injury, will begin light individual drills but is expected to be out at least another two games.

UCLA's Nov. 10 game against Arizona State will be played at 12:30 p.m. at the Rose Bowl and be televised on Channel 7.

Troy QB listed as doubtful, but....
But he insists he will play. David Ching has the news about Omar Haugabook, Troy QB. Per Ching:
Haugabook would be replaced by the combination of Tanner Jones and Jamie Hampton if he can't go, but Haugabook is hard to replace. He's second on the team with 420 rushing yards and has a team-high eight rushing touchdowns and is passing for 260 yards per game, with 12 TDs and 11 ints. Jones and Hampton are a combined 6-for-19 for 69 yards and one touchdown.​
Ching also has some recap notes from interviews with players about UF and Troy.

The Dothan Eagle's blogger talks with Omar about the injury and his expectation of playing vs. Georgia. Yesterday, I posted a bit on Haugabook's importance to the team, and some info on their general stats.

The idea of being a Heisman favorite makes Matt Ryan sick to his stomach.

<object width="425" height="366"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IL1m6DDVGEU&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IL1m6DDVGEU&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="366"></embed></object>

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle"> Cavalcade of Whimsy - Predicting The Races </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
490716.jpg

</td> <td nowrap="nowrap" width="3">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle">By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Oct 30, 2007
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

What's going to happen in each conference race and where is everyone going to end up? Along with the picks, Pete Fiutak analyzes the Georgia celebration incident, Boston College's comeback, and more in the latest Cavalcade of Whimsy.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]Fiu's Cavalcade of Whimsy[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
a.k.a. Frank Costanza's Festivus Airing of the Grievances [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]

By Pete Fiutak
What's your beef? ... E-mail with your thoughts
Past Whimsies
[/SIZE][/FONT] 2006 Season | Preseason Part One, Part Two | Week 1
Week
2 | Week 3 | Week 4 | Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Week 8
If this column sucks, it’s not my fault … As I wrote in my letter to SEC Commissioner Mike Slive, two weeks ago when my preparation began for the column, I thought it needed more energy and enthusiasm or it was going to get whipped pretty good. I said, as a matter of fact, that when I write my first decent line, I expected everyone to celebrate to the point where the official would throw a flag for excessive celebration. I admit this was inappropriate.

“Colonel Jessup, did you order the Code Red?” After scoring its first touchdown in the win over Florida, Georgia’s entire team ran out on the field to celebrate. Head coach Mark Richt ordered his team to do this, wanting to crank up the team’s emotion after what he perceived to be a lackluster few weeks. Of course, he also wanted to show that his program would no longer be pushed around by the mighty Gators. Unfortunately, that one act appears to have caused the housing market to tank, melted the polar ice caps, gave the terrorists a leg up, handed Iran the bomb, caused Marie Osmond to faint, was the final tipping point in the mutation of an antibiotic-resistant Superbug, and has served as a microcosm of why our society and way of life are now threatened.

People, Richt didn’t order his team to run over to the Florida sideline, drop trou and moon Urban Meyer, shave Tim Tebow’s sideburns, or call the Gators a bunch of nappy-headed hos. The Bulldogs showed off a defiant form of solidarity that not only set the tone for the game, it might have changed around the entire SEC race while possibly serving as the jumping off moment for a young team on the way to huge things in 2008.

I guarantee you the first thing that went through Meyer’s mind when he saw what was happening was, “Aw crap. I wish I had thought of that first.” I also guarantee you that somewhere, deep down in a place he didn’t want to acknowledge, Meyer knew he might have lost the game right then and there.

Of course, you know Tebow didn’t even need to be asked … What did Meyer say to his Gators on the sidelines to fire them up after the Georgia celebration incident? “We got spirit, yes we do, we got spirit, how ‘bout you!” And then he pointed the Georgia sideline. When the Dawgs failed to respond, Meyer and his team wildly jumped around gleefully yelling, “We got more! We got more!” Georgia won 42-30.

And if it had worked, the Gators would’ve tipped their hats, conceded the game, and gone out to have a cocktail … Richt might have sent a message to his players, his fans, and the entire SEC with the incident, but if he really wanted to prove how much confidence he had in his team, he should’ve showed off some church bell-sized stones and tried an on-side kick from his own seven after getting penalized 30 yards for the celebration.

He’s definitely a man, but he’s not 40 … Contrary to reports, Boston College QB Matt Ryan wasn’t puking at the end of the Virginia Tech game out of exhaustion. He had just got done reading Jenni Carlson’s article on Bobby Reid.

For the first 55 minutes he played just like Brady. Marcia. … I’m not hatin’ (or whatever the kids are calling it now) on Matt Ryan or Boston College, but it’s amazing how the awful first 55 minutes of the win over Virginia Tech have been completely forgotten about. The highlight watchers will see the final brilliant Ryan touchdown throws and the way he cemented his team in the national title hunt. The NFL scouts are going to see Ryan miss wide open receivers time and again before the late game heroics. Yeah, a game-winning comeback like that is legendary, but the big boys want to find quarterbacks who don’t get into that spot in the first place.

One bounce the other way on an on-side kick and we’re not talking about this … For all the criticism being heaped on the Virginia Tech coaches for going into a form of prevent at the very end, it should be noted that the defensive front was getting a push from three players throughout the game, and was still getting to Ryan at the end. It’s not like the prevent allowed Ryan to stand around for three days and throw; he was under constant pressure and had to scramble around to make his big plays. Yes, it is possible that Virginia Tech did everything right and still got beaten by a possible number one overall draft pick.

If they do actually get to the BCS Championship game, they’re going to pull a Madonna Truth of Dare and change uniforms after every quarter … Let’s all take a deep breath. Take a yellow and metallic pea colored Ritalin, and relax for just a moment here on everyone’s new darlings, the Oregon Ducks.

I love them. They’re one of the most fun teams in America to watch, and it’s about time that Jonathan Stewart and Dennis Dixon get their just due on a national scale. But let’s not go overboard here after a win over USC.

Yeah, beating USC is always a big deal, but this isn’t USC. This is the same team that needed everything in the bag to get by Arizona at home, is a few weeks removed from losing to Stanford, and was supposedly all better again after thumping a miserable Notre Dame team. This was not the last time the Trojans are going to lose this year, and this wasn’t the win it’s being made out to be.

Yeah, Oregon is one of the best teams in America, but let’s not gloss over a home loss to a Cal team that all of a sudden went into the tank with losses to Oregon State, UCLA and Arizona State. Ahhhhh, Arizona State.

Oregon lovers, that’s your test. That’s the one you can hang your hats on. I know it goes against everything you believe in, but beating Arizona State next week would actually be more impressive than getting by USC. It just might not reverberate on a national level, even if the Sun Devils are currently fourth in the nation.

Meanwhile, Ohio State didn’t definitively prove that it’s the best team in America just by beating Penn State. It just meant it might be as go
od as Illinois. This was a Nittany Lion team hanging on to a spot in the top 25 by the skin of its teeth, and was a team that a number one team should’ve handled easily. OSU passed a good test, but there’s a few big blue books still to fill.

And their mascot gets to hold a snappy weapon … Oregon is the number one bandwagon of the week to jump on thanks to a 7-1 record, the nation’s No. 4 offense, No. 3 scoring offense, and No. 4 rushing attack. The Ducks are 68<sup>th</sup> in the nation in total defense. Meanwhile, West Virginia is 7-1 with the one loss coming on the road to South Florida in one of the most emotionally-charged atmospheres of the season, has the nation’s No. 12 offense, No. 7 scoring offense, and No. 2 rushing attack. Oh yeah, and it also has the nation’s No. 3 defense. Oregon will lose at least once more this season (more on that in a moment). Here’s a transfer over to my bandwagon.

Relax, they’re not going to play Florida again … No one is doing jumping jacks at the idea of Ohio State playing in another national title game. After all, the Buckeyes gave us that all-timer of a clunker against Florida. Now try looking at this from a different angle. Ohio State had one really, really, really, really, really, really, really bad game, but it’s not like it lost to Appalachian State or Stanford at home. It lost to a fantastic Gator team playing at peak capability. It was one game. This is a Buckeye team that’s won 27 straight regular season games and 33 of its last 36 overall. Also remember that before last year’s debacle it had won four straight bowl games, including three in the BCS, and a national title. Again, it was one game, and there’s no way, no chance the team will come out that flat again in whatever bowl it ends up playing in.

$10 says that half the voters would pull a Channing Crowder if asked where North Dakota is on a map … Hey, AP voters. What happened to you getting all high and mighty about wanting to put D-IAA, or what the suits call FCS, teams in your increasingly irrelevant poll? You were all too happy to pat yourselves on the back after finding a way to put in Appalachian State after the Michigan win, but North Dakota State has proven to be better this season. The Bison is on a 12-game winning streak including thumpings of Central Michigan and Minnesota while waiting out its time as a provisional FCS team. I’m not saying this is a top ten team, but maybe a vote would be warranted just to show you’re paying attention.

On a good note, in 2011 the global warming crisis was reversed when all the Pottery Barns opened their doors at once … I’ve just returned from the future. I’m not going to tell you who won, but I’ll tell you that the Patriots – Colts game was a 57-51 overtime shootout that came down to a last second play you won’t believe. Pundits couldn’t find enough words to describe what would come to be known as the greatest sporting event ever played. It was so good that the NFL cancelled the rest of the season after realizing there just wasn’t any point to going on. There were some of the best catches the league has ever seen, Brady and Manning put on an all-timer of a show, and a boob popped out when one of the cheerleaders was jumping. Before you get all fired up to see it, there’s one rule. You can only watch if you listen to the announcing team of Paul Maguire and Tim McCarver. What do you do?

“Look, when something works for me I stick with it.” … A note to the Texas A&M coaching staff in case your fan base hasn’t been loud enough. GIVE JORVORSKIE LANE THE BALL. Of course you don’t call plays thinking that getting a statistic will win you a game, but sometimes, the numbers show that something is worth doing, and in this case, that’s committing to letting the huge Aggie carry the mail. Over the course of Lane’s career, A&M is 6-0 when Lane gets 20 carries or more, and is 7-0 over the last two seasons when he gets it 15 times or more. A&M has lost the last five times he’s had fewer than ten carries, including last week against Kansas when he got the ball seven times for 24 yards.

Stop your messing around/Better think of your future/Time you straighten right out/Creating problems in your town” … One personnel call can change everything, and in the end, it looks like Dirk Koetter was dead-on right. Arizona State QB Rudy Carpenter is tenth in the nation in passing efficiency throwing 17 touchdown passes with seven interceptions while averaging 244 passing yards per game as the leader of the 8-0 team. Meanwhile, Sam Keller, who’s now out for the year with a shoulder injury, threw 14 touchdown passes with ten interceptions for a dying Nebraska team that’s 4-5.

The C.O.W. airing of the grievances followed by the feats of strength

Where does everyone stand in the conference races? What’s probably going to happen down the back-stretch, and who’ll be crowned the champions? In this wildly unpredictable year, here’s a best-guess look at what’s about to happen in November complete with how things are going to end up. Armed with this knowledge, feel free to take the month off and do something with the wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend, kids, or all of the above.

In the predicted finishes, the potential ties in the standings are thrown out for now while listing the final best-guessed pecking order.

11. Your 2007 Sun Belt Champion will be …The Troy Trojans.

It’s a three horse race between Troy, Middle Tennessee and Florida Atlantic with the Trojans one game up on the other two, and UL Monroe, fresh off a three overtime win over FAU, hovering as the only two-loss team. The Blue Raiders and Owls each have to make the trip to Troy, while FAU already beat Middle Tennessee.

Predicted Final Pecking Order: 1) Troy, 2) Middle Tennessee, 3) Florida Atlantic, 4) UL Monroe, 5) Arkansas State, 6) UL Lafayette, 7) North Texas, 8) Florida International

10. You 2007 WAC Champion will be … The Boise State Broncos.

Hawaii and Boise State are the two unbeatens with Fresno State a game back after losing to the Broncos last week. Watch out for Hawaii’s trip to Nevada on November 10<sup>th</sup>, but if that’s a win, I’m making the call that Boise State finds a way to get it done on November 23rd, with the college football world watching, to finish 11-1 and in the top 12 of the final BCS standings to earn a second straight trip to a big money game.

Predicted Final Pecking Order: 1) Boise State, 2) Hawaii, 3) Fresno State, 4) Nevada, 5) San Jose State, 6) New Mexico State, 7) Louisiana Tech, 8) Idaho, 9) Utah State
9. Your 2007 MAC Champion will be …
. The Central Michigan Chippewas over Miami University.

It’ll be a repeat title year for the team that can’t do much of anything outside of the conference but has been dominant in league play. CMU has a two game lead on Ball State and Eastern Michigan in the West. One more win all but seals the division, while a win over EMU on November 10<sup>th</sup> in the home finale would clinch the trip to the title game.

The East is far more interesting with just about everyone but Kent State still within range. Buffalo, yes, Buffalo has a chance to make a serious move if it beats Miami University in Oxford this week, but the RedHawks should pull it out, beat Akron, lose to Ohio, and win East on tie-breakers.

Predicted Final East Pecking Order: 1) Miami, 2) Buffalo, 3) Ohio, 4) Bowling Green, 5) Temple, 6) Akron, 7) Kent State
Predicted Final West Pecking Order: 1) Central Michigan, 2) Ball State, 3) Toledo, 4) Eastern Michigan 5) Western Michigan, 6) Northern Illinois

8. You 2007 Conference USA Champion will be …
The Houston Cougars over East Carolina

Thanks to a 52-38 win over UCF, and a relatively easy final three weeks playing at Memphis, at Marshall, and at Tulane, the Pirates should be able to coast into the title game. Houston lost to ECU in a 37-35 thriller in late September, but it’ll have its revenge after winning a shootout at Tulsa on November 10<sup>th</sup> to all but clinch the East.

Predicted Final East Pecking Order: 1) East Carolina, 2) UCF, 3) Southern Miss 4) Memphis, 5) Marshall, 6) UAB
Predicted Final West Pecking Order: 1) Houston, 2) Tulsa, 3) UTEP, 4) Tulane, 5) SMU, 6) Rice

Your 2007 Mountain West Champion will be …
The BYU Cougars

There’s still a lot of work to be done for Bronco Mendenhall’s club with five straight Mountain West games to close out the year, but the Utah and TCU games are in Provo and the Air Force and New Mexico games are out of the way. There should be a fantastic race for the number two spot with four two-loss teams still in the hunt to knock off New Mexico. Even at 1-3, TCU is still lurking.
Predicted Final Pecking Order: 1) BYU, 2) Air Force, 3) Utah, 4) New Mexico, 5) TCU, 6) Wyoming, 7) UNLV, 8) San Diego State, 9) Colorado State

6. Your 2007 Big East Champion will be …
The West Virginia MountaineersIt’s all set up perfectly for West Virginia to go back to the BCS for the second time in three years, and the chance will be there for a possible national title shot with the right breaks. The Mountaineers gets Louisville, Connecticut and Pitt at home, but have a nasty mid-November road test at Cincinnati to get by. Connecticut is the flavor of the week after the big home win over South Florida, but it still has to go on the road to face Cincinnati and West Virginia while facing Rutgers at home this week. Don’t completely count out USF just yet considering the toughest remaining road game is at Pitt. Cincinnati will be the wild-card with home dates against West Virginia and Connecticut and a road trip to South Florida.

Predicted Final Pecking Order:
1) West Virginia, 2) South Florida, 3) Connecticut, 4) Rutgers, 5) Cincinnati, 6) Louisville, 7) Pitt, 8) Syracuse

5. Your 2007 Big Ten Champion will be … The Ohio State Buckeyes

But I’m not sold that OSU will get through without a blemish. In 2004 Wisconsin upset the Buckeyes 24-13 in Columbus. In 2001 it was a 20-17 win. You have to go back to 1996 for the last time Ohio State beat the Badgers at home, and while that’s not as severe as it appears, it’s still a three-game streak. Of course, it’ll all come down to the year-ender at Michigan, but don’t be shocked if the Badgers have other ideas with a win over the Wolverines in Camp Randall.

1) Ohio State, 2) Michigan, 3) Illinois, 4) Wisconsin, 5) Purdue, 6) Penn State, 7) Iowa, 8) Indiana, 9) Northwestern, 10) Michigan State, 11) Minnesota

4. Your 2007 ACC Champion will be … The Virginia Tech Hokies over Boston CollegeIt’s so hard to beat the same team twice. I’m a true believer in Boston College, but the first 55 minutes in Blacksburg spoke just as loudly as the final five. It should be a whale of a rematch if the Eagles don’t stumble twice over a tough final month, but watch out for a hot Wake Forest, winners of six straight with road trips to Virginia and Clemson ahead. The Coastal Division will come down to the season-ender when Virginia Tech goes to Virginia.
Predicted Final Atlantic Pecking Order:
1) Boston College, 2) Clemson, 3) Wake Forest, 4) Florida State, 5) Maryland, 6) NC State
Predicted Final Coastal Pecking Order:
1) Virginia Tech, 2) Virginia, 3) Georgia Tech, 4) Miami, 5) North Carolina, 6) Duke

3. Your 2007 Big 12 Champion will be …
The Oklahoma Sooners over MissouriOklahoma is the best team in the Big 12, but it’s inconsistent enough, and flaky enough, to blow it in a loss in the title game, or against Texas Tech and/or Oklahoma State. If the Bedlam game against the Cowboys was in Stillwater, OSU would probably be the fashionable surprise pick. Don’t fall asleep on Texas quite yet. OU has to lose twice and the Longhorns have to win out, but the reverse happened last year and the Sooners got into the title game.

The North is all about Kansas vs. Missouri in Kansas City on November 24<sup>th</sup>, but Kansas State and Colorado should each have a say in the pecking order. The Tigers still have to go on the road to face the Buffaloes and Wildcats, while the Jayhawks still have to go to Oklahoma State.
Predicted Final North Pecking Order:
1) Missouri, 2) Kansas, 3) Kansas State, 4) Colorado, 5) Nebraska, 6) Iowa State
Predicted Final South Pecking Order:
1) Oklahoma, 2) Texas, 3) Oklahoma State, 4) Texas A&M, 5) Texas Tech, 6) Baylor

2. Your 2007 Pac 10 Champion will be …
The Arizona State Sun Devils
The key player in what should be a wild finishing kick is UCLA, who faces Arizona State and Oregon at home, and has to make a trip across town to play USC. Until the Bruins play a big role, Oregon should be able to get by Arizona State at home. However, with a loss already under its belt, there can’t be another, and that’s where UCLA comes in. Flaky enough to lose to anyone, but good enough to beat anyone, the Bruins have one big statement yet to be made, and the call is that it’ll come over the Ducks and not the Sun Devils. A one-loss ASU beats USC and Arizona at home, gets by UCLA, and goes to Pasadena.
1) Arizona State, 2) Oregon, 3) USC, 4) UCLA, 5) Oregon State, 6) California, 7) Arizona, 8) Washington State, 9) Stanford, 10) Washington

1. Your 2007 SEC Champion will be …
The LSU Tigers over GeorgiaForgive me for getting wacky in what has been the wildest SEC season in several years. Alabama and Nick Saban will get past LSU in a war. Alabama lets down and loses at Mississippi State, and then blows the shot at winning the West in yet another loss to Auburn.

In the East, Georgia will survive Auburn and will beat Kentucky, while Tennessee, with everything set up perfectly, will get run over by Arkansas and/or will lose at Kentucky. South Carolina will get by Florida at home to be in the hunt until the end.
Predicted Final East Pecking Order: 1) Georgia, 2) Tennessee, 3) South Carolina, 4) Florida, 5) Kentucky, 6) Vanderbilt
Predicted Final West Pecking Order:
1) LSU, 2) Auburn, 3) Alabama, 4) Mississippi State, 5) Arkansas, 6) Ole MissRight or wrong on the picks, I promise to update this over the next few weeks.

Nuggets for the upcoming week, now made with white meat, at participating restaurants …

- I know you can’t apply linear logic to every case when it comes to the rankings (try to rank the SEC East teams), but a little common sense would be nice. Wisconsin is playing extremely well, but it’s only a few weeks removed from getting annihilated by Penn State and losing to Illinois. Currently, the Badgers are 19<sup>th</sup> in the Coaches’ Poll, while Penn State 31<sup>st</sup>. Meanwhile, the Illini, who beat the Nittany Lions, are 32<sup>nd</sup>. The Harris Poll has the same problem.

- To stay on the riff, theoretically, if you lose to the number one team in America, you shouldn’t drop in the polls, if at all. There’s no reason to sink Penn State like a stone after losing to, perhaps, the best team in college football.

- Trust me on this. The caramel apple cider thing at Starbucks. Trust me.

- While I’m not necessarily picking the win, here’s your letdown alert of the week to watch out for. Georgia is coming off the ultimate high in the win over Florida and has Auburn up next week. Troy comes to Athens on a six-game winning streak led by a defense that’s allowed a total of 30 points over the last four games. Yeah, Florida beat the Trojans 59-31 and Arkansas beat them 46-26. Even so, be careful.

- For all the excitement and fanfare, Washington is 0-5 in Pac 10 play and on a six-game losing streak. Even a win at Stanford this week might not end up being enough for the Dawgs to escape the cellar at the end of the year.

- In a pinch for a Halloween costume? Wear a dark suit, get a pair of glasses, and go as Secretary of Health and Human Services Michael O. Leavitt. Anyone who gets the goofiness of your concept piece is worthy of sharing a Milky Way with.

- Michigan State isn’t strange anymore, but once again it’s not playing up to its capability week after week. There’s no reason this team should lose to Iowa and Northwestern, and there’s no reason it should be 1-4 in the Big Ten and 5-4 overall. With Michigan, at Purdue and Penn State ahead, this could be yet another year when a certain bowl bid goes down the tubes.

- Notre Dame has had two weeks off to prepare for a Navy team that just got its doors blown off by Delaware. As bad as this season has been for Charlie Weis, a loss to break the 43-game winning streak over the Midshipmen would take the grouchiness to another level.

C.O.W. shameless gimmick item … The weekly five Overrated/Underrated aspects of the world

1) Overrated: The Trinity play vs. Millsaps ... Underrated: Weber State 73, Portland State 68
2) Overrated: NFL in London … Underrated: Penn State’s White Out
3) Overrated: Seal ... Underrated: Burj Dubai
4) Overrated: Xavier Lee ... Underrated: Drew Weatherford
5) Overrated: Hawaii at 14 ... Underrated: Boise State at 22

My Heisman ballot this week would be … I vote based on a combination of three things: Most valuable player, most outstanding player, and the signature player of the season. I might wildly change my mind weekly, but I’ll sort it all out at the end. 1) Matt Ryan, QB Boston College, 2) Pat White, QB West Virginia, 3) Tim Tebow, QB Florida, 4) Dennis Dixon, QB Oregon, 5) Todd Boeckman, QB Ohio State

“You know I'm born to lose, and gambling's for fools/But that's the way I like it baby, I don't wanna live forever” … The three lines this week that appear to be a tad off. (Rolling baby … 2-1 for two weeks in a row. 9-16 overall.) … 1) Maryland +3 over North Carolina, 2) UTEP -7 over Rice, 3) Wisconsin +16 over Ohio State

Sorry this column sucked, but it wasn’t my fault … I thought I wrote a good column and had it all wrapped up, but I decide to stop for some reason while Trinity pitched the ball around 15 times before Riley Curry ran for a touchdown. After a minute, I got tired and just wanted it to all be over.

MID-MAJOR MONDAY VS. HAWAII
By SMQ
Posted on Mon Oct 29, 2007 at 09:26:38 PM EDT

We've been over this before, but Hawaii forges ahead in the latest polls, and I am tireless in my mission to spread the truth: Hawaii does not deserve to be considered to be ranked by anyone in any poll.
For the record, I think the computers are generally better voters than people - with the important exception that people are allowed to account for the scores of games, though it's the same people that absurdly decided to prevent computers from doing so - and thought this long before the computers happened to completely agree with me about the unsuitablility of the Warriors. Facile hu-mahn ballots currently rank Hawaii tenth (Coaches), eleventh (Harris Interactive) and twelfth (AP), respectively, but of the six computer polls in the Official Do Not Disturb Poll of Record, the Warriors' average is officially 0.0000 percent. Five of the algortihms used to calculate that number - those of Anderson&Hester, Richard Billingsley, the Colley Matrix, Kenneth Massey and Jeff Sagarin - don't have the Warriors in their top 25 at all; the sixth, Peter Wolfe, somehow has them thirteenth, but because the high and low computer scores are wiped from the equation, Hawaii doesn't even get credit for that. To be more specific about UH's record in each poll:

904bbe32-30c9-4004-98e5-f4533250f8fe.jpg

Hawaii fan Papa Shango weighs in on the Warriors' schedule.
- - -
It's telling that Wolfe's formula is one of only two (Billingsley's in the other) that does not list a component for strength of schedule on its rankings page. As for the rest, Sagarin's "ELO_CHESS" rankings have three I-AA teams - Northern Iowa, North Dakota State and Massachusetts - with higher numbers than Hawaii as we speak. Kenneth Massey's rankings also include Northern Iowa (34th), Massachusetts (36th) and North Dakota State (46th) as well as, astoundingly, Division II Northeast Omaha (37th) ahead of Hawaii, and consider Saturday's win over New Mexico State a dramatic boon to the Warriors' standing, up 14 slots from last week. That game also bumped their strength of schedule all the way up to 178, just 32 spots behind a Division II team, not to mention Elon, Northwest Missouri State, Wofford, Central Washington, New Hampshire, Richmond, James Madison, Hofstra, Georgia Southern, Western Illinois and so on, etc. By Sagarin's estimation, the Warriors have played the nation's 163rd-toughest schedule to date, weaker than 43 different schools from the Championship Subdivision. The Colley Matrix, which weirdly groups I-AA teams rather than handling them individually, figures UH has played the 128th-toughest schedule out of 129, including the I-AA groups, and that it has not beaten a better team than New Mexico State. Anderson & Hester, which does not include the FCS, predictably ranks the Warriors' schedule 119th out of 119. I reiterate: To date, Hawaii is playing a I-AA schedule. There is no difference in considering Hawaii for a BCS bid right now and considering Northern Iowa and North Dakota State, except that Northern Iowa and North Dakota State actually have wins against a team from a BCS conference. As the estimable Mayor points out, Hawaii's opponents are 8-40 against I-A competition, and six of those wins are against Utah State or Idaho, neither of which has defeated another I-A team. Along with I-AA Eastern Washington and Charleston Southern, the Aggies and Vandals make up a full half of Hawaii's wins, and most of Hawaii's opponents' wins. And the Warriors have still required overtime to pull out two of those.
Hawaii is in line to earn millions and millions of dollars for itself and its sorry conference, and it has done nothing to warrant this opportunity, or even consideration for this opportunity. We're supposed to be talking about the top-performing teams in the nation here. If you have a vote of any kind, in any poll, and Hawaii is a part of your ballot before it defeats Boise State and/or Washington at the end of the year, you are a fool. You are a fool with no integrity and you hate America. What a disgrace.
Mid-Major Game(s) of the Week
While you were waiting for Nebraska to collapse...
- - -
No game Saturday (or Sunday...I don't want to talk about it - though Jonathan Tu will at some point this week, presumably) matched a pair of last second comebacks in Conference USA by favorites who had spent most of the game scrambling from behind.
In Tulsa, SMU took advantage of three first half turnovers and then a 67-yard touchdown drive in the third quarter to expand its lead on the anachronistically-named Hurricane to 20-7, then weathered to two Tulsa touchdowns and a brief one-point deficit to go back in front, 23-21, on a 52-yard field goal by Thomas Morstead with a little under eleven minutes to play.

313d12a0-5050-452a-8821-f557b1380963.jpg

Hey, bro, sorry about that whole 'Getting you fired thing' there. You know, all in the game.
- - -

SMU's defense stepped up in its next two possessions against the Hurricane's prolific, Malzahnian spread, forcing a fumble and a three-and-out, the latter of which set up the Mustang offense at the Tulsa 46, from whence it ground out three first downs, milking the clock on a five-minute drive all the way to the Tulsa one with a chance to essentially ice the game with a two-score lead and just over two minutes on the clock. One 3rd-and-goal from a yard out, the Hurricane defense rejected James Mapp. On 4th-and-goal, it rejected DeMyron Martin - "years of investment went into that play," according to Tulsa's Todd Graham - keeping the game alive, but the offense was still coming out for a last gasp drive with its back against its own end zone. It pays at times like these to have a veteran triggerman like Paul Smith, who got the Hurricane out of the hole with a 13-yard completion on third down from the one, and a 22-yard pass to midfield a few plays later. Then, enough screwing around: Smith connected with freshman Charles Clay for a 51-yard, game-winning touchdown with 43 seconds on the clock, which Clay described thusly:

• "The second catch was just a straight vertical. Before the play they were telling the linebackers to watch the vertical and when the time came I didn't think I would be open, but he tripped and I caught it."
    - - -
For his trouble, SMU fired coach Phil Bennett Sunday, effective at season's end, which seems rather hasty: the Mustangs have been on a steady ascent under Bennett, from the depths of probation-addled futility that bottomed out at 0-11 in 1999 and hadn't recovered much by the time Bennett took over in 2002. SMU went 5-6 in 2005 and was the only team to beat TCU, earning PB an "extension" through 2009, and was actually bowl eligible at 6-6 last year, a vast improvement by every account from the program he took over. But what have you done for me lately? The Mustangs are 1-7 and have lost six in a row, the last two in heartbreaking fashion to Tulane (in overtime) and to Tulsa as described above, and so Bennett is out the door in December. We'll see if anyone else can break that postseason barrier.
(Aside: I've always wondered why coaches - Ron Zook, Dirk Koetter, whoever - hang around to finish a season after they've been publicly canned. It's one thing to suspect you're gone at the end of the year, but when the school actually announces, "This guy is a lame duck for the next month," how can you conduct your business with any self-respect? Maybe they care that much about their players and the season, or it's just not done, career-wise, but I know I'd feel like just dropping the whole thing right there).
Wild C-USA Comeback, Numero Dos: Memphis trailed Tulane in the Superdome 27-21 in the fourth quarter, largely by allowing 278 yards on a Herculean 44 carries by national rushing leader and one-man Green Wave offense Matt Forte, and, like Tulsa, could have fallen behind by two scores with too little time to make up the difference if not for a missed Wave field goal at the end of a seven-minute, 68-yard drive, which would have extended the lead to nine with five minutes to play.
Instead, still down just six, Memphis took over at its own 20 and commenced marching, striking big on a third down, 41-yard pass to the Tulane 32. Facing another third down, backup Matt Malouf completed his only pass of the game for 19 yards, setting up a 1st-and-goal at the Wave six. Tulane held again on first and second down, but with 40 seconds on the clock, Martin Hankins hit displaced Wild West hero Duke Calhoun for a five-yard touchdown to tie. Matt Reagan's PAT was the winner, capping the 80-yard drive and keeping the Tigers within striking distance of the C-USA East lead at 3-1 in-conference.
Bob Toledo: not fired. But, ooh, these kinds of games will not help him.
bilde

Northern Illinois: Every day in every way, the worst team Joe Novak has ever coached.
- - -
For the Record...
Just so you're aware
- - -
Toledo - that is, the football team representing the University of Toledo, not the still-employed coach of Tulane - set a school and conference record and nudged the bar for single-game offense this season by gaining 812 total yards in a 70-21 win over Northern Illinois, emphatically dropping the always respectable Huskies to 1-8 and 0-5 in the MAC in one of the shocking collapses of the season. This is some incredible box score. Toledo passed for 430 yards, ran for 382 and scored 21 points in each of the first three quarters; the Rockets averaged 8.8 yards per play for the game and were still averaging ten-plus yards every snap before they shifted to shut down mode at the end of the third, after which they still mounted another 80-yard touchdown drive in the fourth. They had eleven plays of at least 20 yards in the first half, one of them, bizarrely, on a 50-yard run by quarterback Aaron Opelt on 4th-and-7 from the UT's own 31 in the first quarter. Toledo punted once and fumbled twice, and none of them mattered.
For both teams, though, it doesn't get any wilder than Navy's game with I-AA Delaware, in which the once option-bound Blue Hens outgunned the still option-bound Midshipmen, 59-52, by passing for 434 yards and four touchdowns. The game featured 1,084 total yards, 15 touchdowns and zero punts in the final three quarters; at one point, as I noted Sunday, the teams combined for touchdowns on seven straight non-half-ending possessions.
09-06-06dnews-14b.jpg

The Record vs. BCS Conferences
- - - Last week: 0-3
Avg. Score: 36-13
This year: 17-105
Avg. Score: 39-18

Steppin' Up
Hail to the Conquering Heroes
- - -
For the second straight week, no underdog came through against a bigger school, though, to be fair, the chances were severely limited. Ball State put up an admirable effort in its second near-hit upset bid of the year (the first was at Nebraska, the start of the Huskers' coach-killing defensive demise) but fell short 28-17 at Illinois after trailing the Illini by just four heading into the fourth quarter. It, um, might have helped if the Cardinal hadn't allowed the Illini to run for 324 yards. ...and What Never Had a Prayer
- - -
There was never any way Florida International and its 19 straight losses were going to give Arkansas any sort of trouble, so the 58-10 final doesn't look quite as bad as all that, especially when considering FIU had to turn the ball over seven times to push it that high. The Razorbacks clearly dominated despite a somewhat lackluster day by Darren McFadden (just 3.2 per on 19 carries, partially due to scoring four short touchdowns) and a lot of damage by scrambling QB Dwayne Younger, who ran for 124 yards on 14 carries. Now if he can just do something about those five interceptions...
An Arbitrary Mid-Major Top 10
This is more of a power poll.
- - -
1. Boise State (7-1): Consider it a protest vote against Hawaii if you like (it is partly that), but BSU waxed a pretty decent Fresno State outfit on the road Friday without its best player, clearing the path for the winner-take-all showdown with the Warriors next month. Players and coaches come and go, and still the WAC is the Broncos' league until proven otherwise: they've won 45 of 46 and are on pace for a seventh championship in seven years in the conference.
2. Hawaii (8-0): See above, but being undefeated by whatever means does carry some weight, as long as it's kept in context. This is the proper context. The schedule still sucks on an historic level.
3. BYU (5-2): The Cougars would be in outstanding shape nationally if not for their loss at Tulsa back in September. The loss at UCLA can be forgiven, and the rest of the resumé includes wins over Arizona and a perfect Mountain West run with wins over top challengers Air Force and New Mexico, which are a combined 12-5. Outside shot at the national top 25 if they win out the rest of the way and repeat last year's bowl bonanza.
4. Troy (6-2): The Trojans will be caught here eventually as they're dragged down by the rest of the Sun Belt and an impending trip to Georgia, but the big win over Oklahoma State still carries the day for now.
5. New Mexico (6-2): The biggest wins are Arizona and Air Force, but the home loss to BYU probably disqualifies the Lobos for the Mountain West title - UNM might win out (toughest remaining games: TCU and Utah), but the Cougars would have to lose twice against essentially the same schedule.
6. Central Florida (5-3): Not that Southern Miss is, like, good or anything (the Eagles absolutely are not), but UCF dominated the second half against the C-USA East frontrunner Sunday night, as Brian Cook might say, like whoa. The Knights still need a loss from East Carolina for tiebreaker purposes to win the division, but I'd classify them at this point as the new favorite. Getting credit for beating N.C. State and playing Texas to the wire.
7. Air Force (6-3): Tough loss Thursday to New Mexico for second place in the MWC, but already sitting with wins over the nearest competition, Utah and Wyoming, and should secure the first bowl bid since 2002 with another win over Army, Notre Dame or San Diego State.
8. Utah (6-3) Five straight wins, including Louisville and TCU, and the early blowout of UCLA is an impressive boost, but the 1-3 start and especially the 27-0 loss to UNLV are lingering blemishes. The closing stretch is a chance to rocket up this poll: Wyoming, New Mexico, at BYU.
9. Houston (6-3): Steadily, quietly working its way back to the C-USA Championship game, which will probably be decided in two weeks at Tulsa. Two of three losses are at Oregon and Alabama; the third is by two points to East leader East Carolina.
10. East Carolina (5-4): Wyoming will not be happy about this snub - oh, I expect hate mail - but the Pirates have already beaten two teams ranked in front of them here (as well as North Carolina) and control their own destiny against the dregs of Conference USA (Memphis, Marshall, Tulane) to play for the conference title, an incredible turnaround job by Skip Holtz in three years at one of the true national bottom dwellers if he can finish it.
- - -
Honorable Mention: Wyoming (5-3), Fresno State (5-3), Central Michigan (5-4)

HoltzSkipDuke05d.jpg

Skip Holtz: master motivator. Learned everthing he knowth from hith dad.
- - -

Coming Up
Optimism in the week ahead.
- - -
Best Game: At 1-3, TCU can't win the Mountain West title it was supposed to take easily even if it wins its final four games, but it can salvage its disappointing season and push for a bowl bid starting Saturday with a home game against second place New Mexico. The Lobos are hanging on in the conference race and can't afford any slip-ups as long as BYU is cruising with a perfect MWC slate.
Most Realistic Upset: Navy's losing streak to Notre Dame is legend: the longest uninterrupted streak of futility to a single team in the history of American sports, it stretches back to the last days of the Kennedy Administration, before man walked on the moon, when Roger Staubach was still a lanky kid and Charlie Weis and Paul Johnson were biting ankles. Actually, Weis still bites ankles, I hear, but it's a metaphor, people: unless you are too old to be on the Internet (seriously, come on), this is the best chance Navy has had to beat Notre Dame in your lifetime.
Most Unrealistic Upset: Troy is on a roll through the Sun Belt, and was impressive in its very non-flukey takedown of Oklahoma State in September. But Georgia pounded the Cowboys, too, and isn't keen to be playing around with the Sun Belt when it's hitting its stride and there are championships to be won.
Most Inevitably Gruesome Blowout: UL-Lafayette at Tennessee. Why do these teams do this to themselves? For the money? Is it really worth the money? Five-hundred thousand neon orange-clad Vol fans in Neyland Stadium will feel deeply ashamed, and only partially because of the neon orange.

Adding:

Bama +7 (+105)

+7.5 is still out at Matchbook but I don't mind the push if I'm actually getting money to make my play. I'm 2-0 going against LSU in big games and home the streak continues in the Saban bowl.

LaMarcus Coker and Demonte Bolden suspended for homecoming game
By Joel Section: Tennessee Volunteer Football Players
Posted on Wed Oct 31, 2007 at 06:35:14 PM EDT

lamarcus_coker.jpg
Just got word that LaMarcus Coker and Demonte Bolden have been suspended for Saturday's game against the Ragin' Cajuns.
I have not been able to confirm this with any media sources yet, so consider it rumor at this point. Will update as information becomes available.
Update [2007-10-31 19:1:21 by Joel]: True. The ever-popular "violation of team rules." No specifics, and no discussion of what "strike" Coker may be on. From the sound of it, Fulmer's deemed him to have simply fouled one off on a full count. Come on, LaMarcus, stay on the bus.
As we've said here before, only LaMarcus Coker can stop LaMarcus Coker.

ARIZONA STATE TO DEPLOY 20,000 NEW STRONG SAFETIES TO SPY DENNIS DIXON
By SMQ
Posted on Wed Oct 31, 2007 at 05:51:23 PM EDT

352001m.jpg

Text as delivered by El Presidente Rudy Carpenter, el Dictador Supremo de la República Popular del Estado del Arizona
- - -
Good evening. In the life of all great peoples, there come moments that decide the direction of a program and reveal the character of its people. We are now at such a moment.
When I made manifest the Will of the People just one short year ago, none of us could have envisioned what that year would bring. In the heart of this great program, we saw tragedy arrive on a zone blitz. A dastardly, cowardly blitz that no one could have possibly seen coming, no matter how many hours of diligent film surveillance (seriously, you can't audible every time you see a safety creeping into the box. Ideally, you know, but we play in the real world, and there are always gaps). In the face of such adversity, we saw the bravery of my administration grow with each setback. When we were told we could not succeed, we learned of the trips left Y 23 Bongo Jet on a doomed drive that died with a courage that frightened defenders, and true to my promise to you then, it has not been overthrown again.
We have seen a shaken defense rise to its feet. And we have seen Sun Devils in uniform storming two-tight formations and charging through double teams and liberating the ball with acts of valor that would make the men of 1996 proud.
Since my first taste of power in 2005, Sun Devilians have been given hills to climb and found the strength to climb them. Now, because we are making the hard journey, we can see the valley below. Now, because we have faced challenges with resolve, and with an extra back in to block on intermediate and long third down passes, we have historic goals within our reach and greatness in our future.
We have build a safer offense and a more hopeful fan base, and nothing will hold us back.(APPLAUSE)
Today, the Republic has achieved great things under my leadership. And yet the situation in the polls is unacceptable to the People -- and it is unacceptable to me. Our men in the field have fought bravely. They have done everything we have asked them to do. Where mistakes have been made, the responsibility undoubtedly rests with officials, who we know are often enemy agents, and in spite of all of this, we have achieved our goals. And yet the polls do not respect the Republic.
It is clear that we need to change our strategy to remain competitive in the BCS. So my strategic security team, Commandante Erickson, and various coordinators conducted a comprehensive review. We consulted members of the coaching staff from both sides of the ball, our conference allies, and distinguished outside experts. We benefitted from the thoughtful recommendations of the Oregon Study Group, a bipartisan panel led by senior advisor and Supreme Middle Linebacker Robert James. In our discussions, we all agreed that there is no magic formula for success in Eugene. And one message came through loud and clear: Failure in Oregon would be a disaster for the People's Republic of Arizona State.

bc979bf7-7101-48a1-b686-ce2c7141c189.jpg

The enemy shalessly commits unnatural acts in public and spits on the values of Arizona State.
- - -

The consequences of failure are clear: Radical Harris and Coaches Poll extremists bent on shaming Arizona State would grow in strength and gain new recruits. They would be in a better position to topple moderate voters, create chaos in the BCS, and use Nike revenues to fund their ambitions to advance the interests of our enemies in the region. Oregon would be emboldened in its pursuit of a conference championship. And rest assured, my fellow Devils, their evil ambitions will not stop there. On September the 30th, 2006, we saw to just what lenghts the capitalist extremist dogs of our conference are willing to go to destroy the Republic and advance their own swooshed agenda of death. The most urgent priority for success in Oregon is security, especially in third-and-long. Our past efforts to secure the quarterback have failed for two principal reasons: there were not enough backs left in the backfield to secure blitz lanes that had been cleared by stunts and twists, and there remain too many unilateral restrictions on the blockers we did have, such as the absurd admonition against "holding," resulting in too many yards lost due to penalties enforced by capitalist stooge line judges. Our offensive commanders reviewed the new Oregon plan to ensure that it addressed these mistakes. They report that it does. They also report that this plan can work.
Many listening tonight will ask why this effort will succeed when previous operations to secure a conference championship did not. Well, here is the difference: In earlier operations, Arizona State lacked the strong leadership of my administration. This is a strong commitment. But for it to succeed, our commanders say the offense will need help. So we will change our strategy to help the defense carry out their campaign to put down the spread option and bring a great victory in time of possession. This will require increasing outside force levels. So I've committed more than 20,000 additional Arizona State defenders to be deployed to Eugene. The vast majority of them -- five brigades of strong safeties -- will be deployed to spy Dennis Dixon. These defenders will work alongside defensive line units with one overriding, well-defined mission:to help Arizona State linebackers clear blocks and secure outside contain, to help them protect the backside cutback lanes, and to help ensure that the secondary forces left behind are capable of providing the downfield security against retaliatory bombing we so desperately need.
Fellow Republicans: The days ahead will demand more patience, sacrifice, and resolve. It can be tempting to think that Arizona State can put aside the burdens of an undefeated record. Yet times of testing reveal the character of a program. Now Arizona State is engaged in a new struggle that will set the course for a new Pac Ten champion. Arizona State has no greater treasure than its win percentage, and for the safety of that precious record, Arizona State must succeed in Eugene.
Thank you, and ¡vive los diablos del sol!

Owner of PSU fan violence video identified

football.gif
Gaetano Sacco, the Vice President of Pi Kappa Alpha, has been identified as the source of the YouTube video that sparked public outrage this week.
The YouTube account name of the user who uploaded the video was “crazysacc,” which is also the AOL Instant Messenger screen name of Pi Kappa Alpha Vice President Gaetano Sacco (junior-film).
Sacco was reached by cell phone but had no comment.
By last night, all of the videos posted on YouTube by “crazysacc” had been removed, and the account was canceled.
The State College Police Department is investigating the case, but Sgt. Keith Robb, the officer investigating the case, could not be reached for comment.
Hope you like being made an example of, Gaetano. Your self-incriminating idiocy might have just cost you a PSU film degree. How terribly ironic.
Link

This Week's Vegas Oddsmakers' Top 25/30

As always, featuring 30 teams and the not-to-be-contested wisdom of Las Vegas Sports Consultants, which tells you which college teams are the best, scoreboard and polls be damned. Unlike the BCS, Vegas is not at all intrigued by the idea of a scrappy ACC team making a last-minute road comeback in the rain, leading to televised images of their celebrating, vomiting, Heisman Trophy-threatening QB. Vegas is thinking if you want to be in the BCS final, you better beat Virginia Tech by a heck of a lot more than four. Vegas also loves Bill Belichick, incidentally. Vegas would have attempted to score after recovering the Redskins' final onside kick. (And Vegas says the BCS final should be Ohio State-LSU.)
This week, Vegas is refusing to acknowledge that teams like Florida and Cal keep losing, and refusing to agree that teams like U-Conn. and Virginia would be anything but large underdogs against the previously mentioned teams.
Biggest frauds, according to Vegas: Boring Alabama is ranked 10 spots too high by the BCS. Virginia Tech is ranked eight spots too high by the BCS. Boston College is still ranked seven spots too high by the BCS, as is Georgia. Arizona State, Wisconsin and Hawaii are ranked six spots too high. Also, Connecticut is ranked about 22 spots too high, while Virginia and Wake Forest shouldn't even be in the Top 35.
Biggest sleepers, according to Vegas: BYU, as always, remains tragically underrated: 22nd according to Vegas, in nowhere land according to the BCS. Cal is also now tragically underrated: 14th according to Vegas, unranked by the BCS. Ditto for the real 16th best team in the land, South Carolina. Southern Cal and Florida are ranked 12 spots too low by the BCS. Clemson is ranked seven spots too low. Penn State and Tennessee should not be ignored.
Vegas looked smart when: Vegas frauds Kentucky, Virginia and Virginia Tech all lost, which was nice, but overall it was a shoddy week for the oddsmakers.
Vegas looked dumb when: Big Vegas fave Florida lost to Vegas-hated Georgia. Huge Vegas fave Cal lost to Vegas-hated Arizona State. Big Vegas fave Southern Cal lost to Vegas-wary Oregon. Perpetual Vegas fave Penn State was blown out. Like I said, a bad week.
Games to watch: Virginia Tech, which Vegas has been low on all year, faces Georgia Tech, which Vegas has been strangely backing. Vegas expects overrated Wisconsin to get pounded by Ohio State. Vegas loves LSU and absolutely hates Alabama; the Tigers play at 'Bama this week. Vegas has been slow to embrace Oregon but really dislikes Arizona State, which is at the Ducks. Vegas has been fond of Florida State and, as mentioned, hates Boston College, which hosts the 'Noles. Lots of chances for Vegas to redeem itself this week.
Numbers after the jump. BCS rankings in parentheses.
1. Ohio State (1)
2. LSU (3)
3. Oklahoma (6)
4. West Virginia (7)
5. Oregon (5)
6. Missouri (8)
7. Southern Cal (19)
8. Florida (20)
9. Boston College (2)
10. Arizona State (4)
11. Michigan (12)
12. Texas (15)
13. Kansas (9)
14. California (NR)
15. Auburn (16)
16. South Carolina (NR)
17. Georgia (10)
18. Clemson (25)
19. Virginia Tech (11)
20. Hawaii (14)
21. South Florida (18)
22. Brigham Young (NR)
23. Penn State (NR)
24. Tennessee (NR)
25. Boise State (22)
26. Arkansas (NR)
27t. Wisconsin (21)
27t. Alabama (17)
29. Georgia Tech (NR)
30. Oklahoma State (NR)
Not ranked by Vegas: U-Conn. (13th in BCS), Virginia (23rd), Wake Forest (24th).

Arizona St. quarterback has swelling in injured thumb

Posted: Tuesday October 30, 2007 11:32PM; Updated: Tuesday October 30, 2007 11:32PM
TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Arizona State quarterback Rudy Carpenter was unable to throw in practice Tuesday due to swelling in his sprained right thumb.
But coach Dennis Erickson said Carpenter is almost certain to play when the sixth-ranked Sun Devils visit No. 4 Oregon on Saturday.
Carpenter took snaps and handed off but didn't throw Tuesday, his first practice since he sprained the thumb handing off to tailback Keegan Herring in a 31-20 victory over California last weekend.
"He couldn't throw," Erickson said. "His thumb swelled up. It bothers him a little bit."
Erickson reacted with disbelief when asked if there was any chance Carpenter would sit out against the Ducks.
"He'll play," Erickson said. "I would be shocked if he didn't come out throwing by Thursday, but I'm not a doctor."
Carpenter didn't speak to reporters.
If Carpenter can't play, the Sun Devils would turn to sophomore Danny Sullivan, who has completed 11 of 14 passes for 91 yards and a touchdown in mop-up duty this season.

Hawaii reserve RB kicked off team

Posted: Wednesday October 31, 2007 12:52AM; Updated: Wednesday October 31, 2007 12:52AM

HONOLULU (AP) -- Hawaii reserve running back Mario Cox has been dismissed from the team.
Coach June Jones would not say why the 5-foot-11, 250-pound sophomore was kicked off the team.
Cox, of Oakland, appeared in five games this season for No. 12 Hawaii, rushing four times for nine yards and catching two passes for 15 yards.
Cox's grandfather, Travis Williams, is a member of the Green Bay Packers' Hall of Fame.

BC-Florida State preview

Despite coming off the best BC victory in a decade, I am still very concerned about this game. Florida State is down and seemingly rudderless, but they still present numerous matchup challenges for BC. Plus they’ve beaten some good teams like Colorado and Alabama.

Theme that won’t be discussed on television. Last week’s comeback will probably be shown a dozen times. What I don’t expect to see are the final minutes of the 2005 FSU game. BC lost but it was the first indicator we had that Ryan could lead a team back under pressure. He moved the ball down the field with BC trailing. We could have tied the game, but our two minute drill had some questionable calls. (For those who want to relive it go read my second viewing thoughts on the game and scroll down to the play calling.)

Three simple keys
1. Redzone defense. Florida State has moved the ball this season. Punching it in for TDs instead of FGs has been an issue. BC needs to do a good job jamming receivers to disrupt timing and fade routes close to the endzone.
2. Protection. Like Virginia Tech, FSU will use athleticism instead of blitzes to get after Ryan. Last week the team struggled in one-on-one matchups along the line. This week, they need to improve greatly, especially at the Tackle spots.
3. Get to Weatherford. The one break BC caught was the Lee suspension. Although Weatherford was going to start anyway, Lee's availability and potential mobility could have caused problems. Now BC just needs to get to the FSU QB and force him to make mistakes and bad throws.

Gambling Notes
-- Bobby Bowden is 37-36-1 vs top 10 teams
-- BC has won 16 straight at home
-- Since the ACC most recent expansion, FSU has only been a road underdog four times in conference play. They are 1-3 in those games.
The current line is BC-6.5

What would be a pleasant surprise?
An easy win. I saw Florida State give up against Wake. I would be really surprised if they mail it in again. There is too much talent and pride on the team for their players not to care.

What would be a letdown? Losing. The high of last week will be a distant memory if we slip up here.

What would be a shocker? Getting blown out. Last week showed that BC has talent, heart and good coaching. Running the table will be tough, but there is no reason for this team to get beaten soundly by an inconsistent Florida State squad.

Bottom Line
I think we win, but I don’t expect it to be easy or pretty. This is college football so style points do count. This will be the type of game where we are happy to escape and we hear another week of “BC is just not that good” from the talking heads.
Final Score: BC 28, FSU 20.

MONEY TIME: SWAGGER AND STAKES IN LSU-BAMA
By SMQ
Posted on Thu Nov 01, 2007 at 02:36:57 PM EDT

There's no way around the "Miles-Saban Showdown" angle Saturday, and I don't know really why anyone would want to avoid that particular sideshow. On the very slanted field of "passion" - which should be separated from "devotion," for the benefit of polite Midwesterners - the SEC's reputation is one of a culture of frothing insanity and borderline violence, and aside from the hall-of-fame cascade of neuroses at Arkansas, no gleefully manufactured storyline this offseason reinforced what we'd like to believe about the land of the loud, avowed and whiskey-endowed than the furor over Saban's hire at `Bama in general, and the ensuing Tiger-Tide pissing match specifically.
Snapshot_2007_11_01_13_33_24.tiff

The hat that roared.
- - -
Saban, for the most part, didn't have time for that shit, except where recruits were involved, in which case, get out of his way, ya coonasses. Miles, on the other hand, until his successful unburdening of testosterone against Florida, was still working against the "hothead" label - to say nothing of the "wins with Saban's team" shadow - born largely of his unilateral declaration in February that LSU had itself a "big time rival" at last in the fucking Crimson Tide! If single-minded partisans were going to inflate the game's importance anyway, neither coach could have done anything short of vomiting in the other school's mascot head to make it any bigger. Well, except win, of course - the real storyline Saturday is the de facto SEC West championship game. That may seem a bit premature, with the winner holding on to just a one-game lead with two games to play, especially if the winner is Alabama. LSU would have to lose to Ole Miss and Arkansas (currently 0-8 between them against the rest of the conference) to lose its tiebreaker advantage if it beats the Tide, but 'Bama would still face a dangerous game at Mississippi State and another would-be division rubber match with Auburn. For all intents and purposes, though, at this stage, the odds and momentum are loaded behind the winner in Tuscaloosa this weekend finishing 7-1 and playing as a favorite in Atlanta.
So there's a lot of potential validation at stake, too, especially for Alabama, after more than a decade of mostly mediocrity, an anguished, occasionally embarrassing coaching search, a record-breaking payout and two losses before the end of September. Now, the chance to make it all seem worth the trouble, to wave the Bear tatoos and Daniel Moore paintings in front of the haters and say, after all the grief, "We got it right," and more quickly than anyone outside of the program expected.
si.jpg

We're thinking 'staying power' with Saban. But we could be wrong.
- - -
There will still be plenty of time for that later if they lose, obviously, as the Saban tenure is just gathering steam. But it won't be this year, and patience won't dull the sense of missed opportunity. The stage is set and the show is here now: `Bama can be a real power broker again, just like that, or at least look like one. This would come at great expense to Miles' stature at LSU, which should be in full bloom with this team, and still could be if it fulfills its potential as SEC favorite. Miles has grown fully into the role, made LSU in his image and emerged as fully the face of the Tigers as Urban Meyer, Mark Richt and Tommy Tuberville are of their programs. This is Miles' team, overwhelmingly recruited and developed by Miles and his staff, and with the Michigan job beckoning, maybe the last measure of his turbulent tenure in Baton Rouge. If Saban's shadow lingered at all, it was definitely evaporated by the fourth down guts against Florida.
The only way it can return is if Miles' team, his full-formed contender, somehow finds itself on the wrong end of Saban's work in progress. By no means can one game define a career, but to be very clear about the trajectories here, Alabama has been terrible against LSU for years: this decade, since Saban took over at LSU in 2000, the Tide is 1-6 against the Tigers, and 0-2 against Miles. Mike Shula's teams came up short four years in a row, by an average of two touchdowns; an entire recruiting class came and went without beating LSU. If Saban can guide 'Bama past LSU in his first shot at reversing that trend, it will be the literal embodiment of the old cliche about the Bear: he took his'n and beat your'n, and then took your'n and beat his'n.
And even if LSU isn't really his'n anymore, it could be the first chance it has to really regret that.

Carpenter finally throws in practice

Ailing ASU QB expected to play in Oregon showdown

Posted: Thursday November 1, 2007 12:26AM; Updated: Thursday November 1, 2007 12:34AM

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Arizona State quarterback Rudy Carpenter threw in practice Wednesday for the first time since he sprained the thumb on his throwing hand.
Carpenter is expected to play when the sixth-ranked Sun Devils visit No. 4 Oregon on Saturday.
"I thought he threw it real well," coach Dennis Erickson said.
Carpenter sprained his thumb handing off to tailback Keegan Herring in ASU's 31-20 victory over California last weekend.
Carpenter wore a glove on his throwing hand in practice so he could grip the ball better. Erickson said he doubted Carpenter would use the glove in Oregon.
"Today he wanted to use it, so that's fine," Erickson said.

Ohio State Fan Assault Update
By Mike Section: News
Posted on Wed Oct 31, 2007 at 10:42:19 PM EDT

It seems the story of the two Ohio State fans being assaulted prior to the game last Saturday is getting a lot of attention in State College now. New details are becoming available tonight.

A man seen in a Youtube.com video throwing beer cans at an Ohio State student during a tailgate party has been identified by police as a University of Pittsburgh student, and the fraternity that hosted the party will be cited in connection with the "melee," police said.
So the main player in all of this was a Pitt student. Insert your own joke here.

<table align="center" width="20%"><tbody><tr><td align="center">
personanongrata.png
</td><td>
</td></tr> <tr><td align="center">Who knew Pitt hated Ohio State so much?</td><td>
</td></tr> <tr><td colspan="2">
</td></tr> </tbody></table> But let's not forget the fact that the overwhelming majority of the people there were Penn State students and fans. And they either joined in throwing cans of beer, stood by doing nothing, chanted "F___ Ohio", or worked the video camera making asinine comments. These people should not be let off the hook. While charges may be harsh, a stern talking to is in order from someone. That's why I'm glad to see the Pi Kappa Alpha house facing sanctions from the University and Police.

A summary citation of disorderly conduct will be issued to Pi Kappa Alpha for hosting the party. "It was invitation only, but we feel that based on the investigation, the majority (of attendants) were Pi-ka members involved in this melee," Robb said.

Good. I would like to see PKA punished. Like say, no parties with alcohol for a year? That sounds about right.
We're also learning some details as to why two Ohio State fans would be walking down a back alley where a PSU frat party was going on.

Buckeye fans shown in the video are members of the Pi Kappa Alpha chapter at Ohio State who attended a party at the Penn State chapterhouse Friday, according to a statement Wednesday by Penn State.
Oh, so this is how they treat fellow Pi Kappa Alpha brothers visiting from out of town? Wow. Where do I sign up for this frat? Are we being led to believe this was just some good natured ribbing going on? Apparently the Pitt guy didn't get the memo, bitch.
(HT: JGuiher and other readers who pointed out the article in the comments)

Lester's status uncertain

Posted by Phillip Marshall, The Huntsville Times October 31, 2007 9:03 PM

Tailback Brad Lester (groin) did not practice Wednesday, and Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said his status for Saturday's homecoming game against Tennessee Tech is uncertain.
"We held him out again today," Tuberville said Wednesday. "We are just trying to get him to 100 percent.
Asked if Lester would play against the Golden Eagles, Tuberville said "I don't know. We'll have to wait and see."
Offensive tackle Ryan Pugh (knee) did not practice and will not play, Tuberville said. Cornerback Jonathan Wilhite, Tuberville said, missed practice because of intestinal problems. Offensive tackle Lee Ziemba, guard Chaz Ramsey and center Jason Bosley, he said, returned after missing Tuesday's practice with the same ailment.
Staying physical
Tuberville was pleased with the Tigers' two-hour practice Wednesday afternoon, calling it "very good."
"Mentally, we've eased up a little this week," Tuberville said. "Physically, we've practiced the same. We've had a lot of good contact. We're still working on fundamentals."
Quarterback rotation
Senior Brandon Cox and freshman Kodi Burns are in the plans for Saturday. Tuberville said he didn't know if any other quarterbacks would play.
"I'd like to play everybody, but we're looking at Brandon and probably Kodi and maybe one more," Tuberville said.

Kindle Out for OSU

by MorningsideHorns Thu Nov 01, 2007 at 07:22:48 PM EDT

Bumped from the diaries. Ugh... --PB--
From the AAS:
Longhorn sophomore linebacker Sergio Kindle will miss Saturday’s game at Oklahoma State because of a stinger injury to his shoulder, the team announced Thursday. Kindle was injured late in last week’s Texas victory over Nebraska.
The linebackers will be crucial to the team's success against OSU's balanced offensive attack. After Kindle's monstrous game against Nebraska, this is a tough blow for both him and the team to take. Longhorn nation is collectively hoping for a speedy recovery in time for Tech and A&M, where his speed, power, and instincts will again be needed to stifle their offensive attacks. I'm hoping that Kindle will avoid a college career like Adrian Peterson's, where massive talent and desire give way to nagging injuries. Perhaps this is the toll of such punishing tackling by Kindle and he'll just have to learn strategies for self-preservation. This should be easier than it was for Peterson, as Kindle is the one delivering, not sustaining, the blows.

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME PUNTING?!
By SMQ
Posted on Thu Nov 01, 2007 at 06:41:43 PM EDT

Georgia Tech was knocked out of the conference race so quickly – three losses in four weeks, to Boston College, Virginia and Maryland – it’s been too easy to relegate the Jackets to the junk heap without a second thought. They’ll be fortunate to win eight games (that’s with Notre Dame, Samford, Army and Duke on the slate), break even in the conference and fly out for the Emerald Bowl.
This overlooks a couple facts. One: Tashard Choice, leading rusher in the ACC and all-around engine of the offense, missed much of the loss to Boston College and virtually all of the loss to Virginia (five carries for 19 yards), and Tech has unapologetically ridden his half-broken body to tough wins over Clemson and Miami since. Two: on paper, out of context, Tech is one of the most impressive-looking teams in the nation.

<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="3"> <caption align="top">GT in the Top 20 (Ntl. Rank in Parentheses)</caption> <tbody><tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(233, 237, 158) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">
</td> <td align="center">Overall (5-3)</td> <td align="center">vs. ACC (2-3)</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Rushing Offense</td> <td align="center">219.0 (13)</td> <td align="center">162.4</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">Rushing Defense</td> <td align="center">87.0 (8)</td> <td align="center">100.4</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Total Defense</td> <td align="center">287.9 (7)</td> <td align="center">335.0</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">Scoring Defense</td> <td align="center">15.5 (6)</td> <td align="center">19.4</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Kickoff Returns</td> <td align="center">25.6 (11)</td> <td align="center">22.9</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">Turnover Margin</td> <td align="center">+ 0.88 (17)</td> <td align="center">+ 0.2</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Sacks</td> <td align="center">3.6 (T-4)</td> <td align="center">3.1</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center">Tackles for Loss</td> <td align="center">9.5 (2)</td> <td align="center">8.3</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Sacks Allowed</td> <td align="center">0.75 (3)</td> <td align="center">0.6</td> </tr> </tbody></table> The Jackets are also number one nationally in net punting, for the record, which is not insignificant for the kind of field position slog they’re bound to in most ACC games. What you have, then, is a team that can ostensibly run on offense, can stop the run on defense, can protect the passer, can rush the passer and takes care of the ball. That’s the generic profile of a winner.
But that’s been true of Georgia Tech throughout Chan Gailey’s tenure, and here we are again, at the dreaded equilibrium. If mediocrity for the last four years falls disproportionately at the feet of Reggie Ball (just like most of his passes – zing!), the current malaise has to fall on the erratic shoulders of Taylor Bennett, owner of the nation’s 113th-ranked passer rating. If ever the middle-seeking, NFL-bred risk aversion that guides Gailey’s philosophy was most evident, it’s in this number: through eight games and 212 pass attempts, Bennett has only thrown three interceptions, as few as anyone who’s thrown 200 passes, but he’s countered with two touchdowns. That seems almost impossible: 106 attempts between touchdowns? He’s not killing the Jackets with mistakes, but he’s not doing much good, either. So what is he doing?
The good news for GT is that it runs into an offense tonight in Virginia Tech that’s in even more thrilled to curl up into a ball: the Hokies have a quarterback they don’t trust much, but – Branden Ore’s first murmurs of life last week against Boston College notwithstanding – they do not have a force like Choice in the backfield. This is the situation that best suits Georgia Tech: an opponent equally content to run-run-pass-punt and ride the narrowest advantage into oblivion. Oh, it will be ugly. But Georgia Tech’s defense and kicking game rivals Virginia Tech’s, and if Choice can stand up to another four quarters’ worth of pounding (before catching a break last week against Army, he carried oer 30 times in three straight games), the Jackets are built specifically to win this sort of field goal fest.
<table><tbody><tr><td>
Georgia_Tech_Logo.gif
</td> <td>Georgia Tech 16</td> <td></td> <td>Virginia Tech 12</td></tr></tbody></table>

LSU's Dorsey questionable vs. 'Bama

Posted: Thursday November 1, 2007 3:35PM; Updated: Thursday November 1, 2007 3:47PM

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) -- It's an Alabama-LSU matchup with a dash of mystery and intrigue and involving a pretty well-known guy who spurned the NFL for a return to college football.
Nick Saban vs. Les Miles?
Hardly, it's No. 3 LSU's defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey -- if he plays -- leading a formidable front against a Crimson Tide offensive line likely to be starting a pair of backups in Saturday's game.
There is plenty of uncertainty in that key confrontation.
Dorsey, who postponed his NFL career to return for his senior season, sprained his right knee on an illegal chop block by Auburn two weeks ago. He has remained coy about his status this week but has practiced in a brace.
Miles, who is facing former NFL and LSU coach Saban, said his star defender wouldn't have been able to play if the game was last week, when the Tigers (7-1, 4-1 Southeastern Conference) had an open date. What about this week?
"We're not going to play him unless he's 100 percent," Miles said. "If he's limited, we're not going to put him on the field. The open week gives us that opportunity."
Dorsey's answer: "When game time comes, if I play, I play."
In other words, the fans and No. 17 Alabama will have to wait and see.
Meanwhile, Tide center Antoine Caldwell and right guard Marlon Davis were among five players suspended on the eve of the Tennessee game two weeks ago for ipermissible receipt of textbooks. They are not expected to play, though Alabama officials met with the NCAA in Indianapolis on Wednesday regarding the ongoing university investigation.
BJ Stabler started in Davis' spot and Evan Cardwell replaced Caldwell against Tennessee, and the linedidn't allow a sack. Quarterback John Parker Wilson takes considerable comfort from that.
"Tennessee had a great defensive front and I think we did fairly well against them," Wilson said. "Tennessee was the best we've seen up to that game, and LSU will be the best we've seen so far. I think we match up good with them. We've got a good chemistry up front even though our first starters aren't starting."
It is still a bad time to be without two key members of the line. Caldwell had started 32 consecutive games, handling three spots this season.
Dorsey & Co. are the front men of one of the nation's best defenses, which has 22 sacks. Only Vanderbilt (24) has more among SEC teams.
Tackle Marlon Favorite and ends Kirston Pittman and Tyson Jackson have impressed Saban, along with Dorsey.
"Their two inside players have exceptional initial quickness and explosive power," he said. "They're difficult for anybody to block. It will certainly be a challenge for our offensive line. They also have good ends on the edges."
Tide guard Justin Britt offers even stronger praise. He faced off with Dorsey for much of last year's game, when the Tigers had four sacks, and called him "a beast."
"This is without a doubt the best defensive front we've faced this year and that I will ever face," Britt said. "They're extremely talented. It's everything. Glenn Dorsey's fast, he's extremely strong. He's unbelievable.
"He's the best in the country."
The good news for Alabama is that the offensive line has made big improvments since getting criticism at times the past two seasons and didn't miss a beat with the subs against the Volunteers.
Still, tailback Terry Grant knows he'll be running into that formidable defensive front, especially since LSU's defense is speedy enough to make it hard to run outside, too. Backup Glen Coffee, a more bruising runner, was another player involved in the textbook investigation, along with two reserve defensive backs.
Asked about the defensive front, Grant said: "They cause problems. A lot of them."
"When you've got four guys causing the problems they cause, it's crazy," he said. "Then you've got the other guys in the secondary and the linebacking corps. It's amazing."
As for Dorsey, perhaps he offered a hint on his status when asked if Auburn players had apologized for the play that injured him. He said no, and that no apology was necessary.
"I'm not even worried about it. I've moved on," Dorsey said. "I've got a big game to play this week."

UM LB sentenced for driving impaired

Posted: Thursday November 1, 2007 3:23PM; Updated: Thursday November 1, 2007 3:23PM

ANN ARBOR, Mich. (AP) -- University of Michigan starting middle linebacker Obi Ezeh will serve three days in a work release program and one year's probation for driving while visibly impaired.
Ezeh was sentenced Wednesday in 15th District Court. The 19-year-old from Grand Rapids also was ordered to pay fines, court costs and restitution.
Ezeh was arrested May 22 after his vehicle struck a utility pole.
He had been charged with operating a vehicle while intoxicated, but pleaded guilty in August to the lesser charge.

Marshall LB suspended after arrest

Posted: Thursday November 1, 2007 5:24PM; Updated: Thursday November 1, 2007 5:24PM

HUNTINGTON, W.Va. (AP) -- Marshall linebacker Josh Johnson has been suspended for Saturday's game at Central Florida following his arrest in a domestic dispute.
Cabell County Magistrate Court records showed Johnson was involved in an incident last week with his girlfriend and her neighbor, after which he allegedly forced his way into his girlfriend's apartment.
The case was transferred to circuit court on Thursday and a grand jury will decide whether to charge him.
Marshall coach Mark Snyder said Johnson's status will be evaluated on a game-by-game basis until the case's conclusion.
Johnson, a junior, is Marshall's third-leading tackler with 51.

Adding:

Michigan -4 (-110)

Henne and Hart are now confirmed to play one of the next three remaining rivalry games. UM needs to shut little brother up and put Dantonio in his place.

Adding:

ASU +7 (+106)

Another live dog with the books giving free money for me to take the play. I know the line has moved and I can get the hook, but I'm confident that ASU can either win outright or keep it close more than Oregon can win by more than a TD. Again, I don't mind the "risk" of the push. So give me the free money rather than paying -110 for the hook.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle"> ASK CFN ... The Flakiest Teams </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
491632.jpg

Michigan State RB Javon Ringer
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap" width="3">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle">By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Nov 2, 2007
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Which team in each conference is the "flakiest?" Is Tim Tebow the most hated player in college football history? Just how nasty is Notre Dame's schedule? These questions and more in the latest ASK CFN.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
[SIZE=-1] By Pete Fiutak[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] [SIZE=-1]F[/SIZE]ire over your questions to me at pete@collegefootballnews.com[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]. I might not be able to answer them all, but I promise they're all read. Any e-mails sent to this address may be published or edited unless requested otherwise. (Please put ASK CFN in the subject line, and PLEASE keep the questions short ... it makes my life easier.)[/SIZE]
Even though he is only a sophomore, do you think that Tim Tebow is the most disliked college football player ever? No matter where you go across the country or who you talk to, bring up the subject of Tim Tebow to a college football fan and you get a negative reaction. Outside of maybe Kellen “The Soldier” Winslow Jr., I can’t think of another college football player that has been disliked by the fans of every other college football team across the nation. I thought about Brian Bosworth, but college football is so much bigger now than it was in the 80s with all the TV coverage, internet message boards, etc. Who am I forgetting? – Steve

A: The only comparison I can come up with is the Duke basketball player of your choice. Maybe it’s Chris Collins, Shane Battier, or Gene Wojohowski. The other comparison is Steve Spurrier, who has everyone’s respect, but non-Gator and Gamecock SEC fans truly despise.

To me, Tebow is a true warrior, often to his detriment, who takes on too much unnecessary punishment. I’d take him quarterbacking my team any day of the week, and if there was a college football MVP race, I’d think he’d be right in the hunt alongside Matt Ryan. With that said, the rah-rah, go-get-‘em types tend to get dogged and become easy targets for a world that likes its quarterbacks to be cool, calm generals. The Boz was hated because he was flamboyant, but like Tebow, he could truly play. Winslow was hated because he was a blowhard, but it doesn’t seem to be at the same level.

Historically, the only other player I could come up with was former Miami Hurricane WR Michael Irvin, who became a lightning rod for those great teams, but he wasn’t near a national figure like Tebow or Boz.

<table id="table2" align="right" border="0" cellspacing="4" width="200"> <tbody><tr> <td bgcolor="#ffffcc"> Past ASK CFNs ...
- A little BCS history
- Should USC be in the title hunt?
- The best RB you don't know
- What's wrong with Texas A&M?
- How bad is the Big Ten?
- Will Miles run to Michigan?
- Supersized Season Premier of ASK CFN
The most loved & hated teams
- Is Miami still a power?
- CFN's West Virginia ranking
- Is Booty Heisman-worthy?
- The USC Schedule
- The Big Ten Network
- The most underrated head coach
- The Top Ten NFL receiver prospects

- Why did Brady Quinn slide?
- The Virginia Tech situation

- Creating a MWest-WAC super-league[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]
-
[/SIZE][/FONT] Mid-majors who should be in the bigs
-
The potential new superpower
-
The 5 best coaching jobs [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] - [/SIZE][/FONT] March Madness for football?
-
Potential Bowl Shockers[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]
-
[/SIZE][/FONT] Tim Brewster?[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]
-
[/SIZE][/FONT] Fox's BCS broadcasts - Is Brady really better than Russell?[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]
-
[/SIZE][/FONT] Hot & Cold Bowl Programs
- How ineffective was Reggie Ball? - A 2007 Top 10 Mock Draft[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] - [/SIZE][/FONT] Can Michigan win a national title? - BCS possibilities for several teams[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1] - West Virginia schedule, BCS rules
- Toughest coaching jobs
- Hidden Heisman 5

- Is Temple worst ever?
- Oklahoma-Oregon fiasco
- Has Bob Stoops lost it?
- Is Colorado done?
[/SIZE][/FONT]</td> </tr> </tbody></table> IF Ohio State and Boston College play for the National Championship does that prove that it's better (in terms of playing for a National Championship) to be a good team in a mediocre conference than a very good team from a strong conference? – Scott

A: Who are these “very good” teams that are assumed to be better than Ohio State and Boston College? Call me naïve, but I truly believe the Buckeyes and Eagles are the real deal and would, at the very least, be one of the leaders in a race for a SEC or Pac 10 title. Just because their conferences aren’t the best, that doesn’t mean the teams aren’t elite. By the way, based on cumulative opposition, Ohio State and Boston College have played tougher schedules than LSU. To answer your question, it's far, far better to not play in the SEC or a tough league in a given year. Go unbeaten in a BCS conference, roll the dice on playing for a title.

Admittedly Notre Dame is miserable this season, but in forty years of being a serious college football fan I've can't remember a team opening with a tougher schedule. No 1-AA schools, no mid-majors, not even any BCS conference bottom feeders; eight straight games with no bye week against quality opponents. Is there a team in the nation this year you think would have been 8-0 after playing ND's schedule to date? How many of the top 25 teams do you think would have been at .500 or above playing those eight teams on consecutive Saturdays to start the season? – Calhoun

A: Georgia Tech, at Penn State, at Michigan, Michigan State, at Purdue, at UCLA, Boston College, USC, and now, Navy and Air Force. That’s ten straight games against bowl bound teams, and it’s the toughest I can ever remember seeing. That doesn’t excuse being dead last in the nation in total offense, dead last in sacks allowed, second to last in scoring and passing efficiency, and deal last in rushing. No, I don’t think anyone goes unbeaten against this schedule because of the cumulative effects of tough game after tough game after tough game.

Any insight as to how the heck the biggest Big Ten game of the week ended up on the Big Ten Network and not on ABC, ESPN, ESPN 2, while much lesser games were picked up by the bigger networks? This is nuts! – TE

A: Every Big Ten team has to play a league game on the network, and Wisconsin hadn’t been on yet in conference play. This is the first time this year one of the really, really big games won’t be seen by a large portion of America, although people were also ticked to start the year when Appalachian State’s win over Michigan. The fight with Comcast continues to be nasty with the Big Ten Network continuing to insist it should be part of the basic package. Comcast thinks it should be part of the sports package, meaning users should have to pay more to get it. While the football side of things has gone relatively smoothly, wait until basketball season. If you want a lot of the better Big Ten hoops games, look into DirecTV.

What would you say is the one team in each conference that is the flakiest year after year? They could beat anyone, but they could also lose to anyone (for teams in the non-BCS leagues, maybe you could modify "could beat anyone" to "could beat anyone in their league"). Michigan State and Clemson are the first ones to come to my mind. - Z. Morris

A: ACC: Clemson. There are few better teams when the lights are on, but consistency is always a problem.
Big East: South Florida. Just wait until the weather starts to get colder up north.
Big 12: Oklahoma State. The team that got whacked by Troy is still in the Big 12 title chase.
Big Ten: Michigan State. The epitome of the flaky team.
Conference USA: UTEP. This year is might be Southern Miss after losing to Rice, but UTEP under Mike Price has been in the hunt every year only to collapse in crunch time.
MAC: Bowling Green. So frustrating, the pieces are there to be a MAC powerhouse, but it hasn’t been able to turn the corner.
Mountain West: Wyoming. Tantalizingly close in the Mountain West race because it usually comes up with a few big wins at home, it can’t come up with the consistent wins on the road.
Pac 10: UCLA. How do you get obliterated by Utah, lose to Notre Dame, and beat Cal? How do you beat USC last year, and get run over by Florida State?
SEC: Georgia. Just when you think it’s a world-beater, it comes up with a strange loss. Just when you think it’s average, it beats someone really, really good.
Sun Belt: Middle Tennessee. The makeup to beat Vanderbilt a few years ago and hang with good teams on the non-conference schedule, but it doesn’t have it when it comes to pulling off a title. Yeah, it tied for the Sun Belt championship last year, but it really lost it to Troy.
WAC: Fresno State. Where are all the WAC titles under Pat Hill? The program that’s so great at going on the road and losing close games to good BCS teams can’t get it done lately in the Boise State-dominated league.

Ok Vince Young fooled me. He tricked me into believing that Texas was actually an elite program with his phenomenal performances in two Rose Bowls and one NC game. I thought this team would have new swagger even after Vince left and for a while in the 2006 season it seemed like they did they did. I was able to assuage my worries about this team losing three games by just saying "If Colt was there" and "One of those losses was to the number one team in the nation" (even though I thought that buckeye team was overrated all year). But now this season after a sub par performance against the worst Nebraska team in 40 years I can't deny it any longer. We are back to the same soft underachieving program with delusions of elite performances as we were Before VY carried us to glory. I would like to know what you think is the reason a school in a small state with much less talent in their backyard like Ohio State can be so consistent every year but we can't even beat our rivals up north on a consistent basis who do not have near the resources we do? In my opinion there is no reason Texas shouldn’t be able to emulate what USC has done and I think that our inability to do so starts with coaching. – RP

A: There are a few different things at play here. First of all, Ohio is one of the most populous states in the nation and is every bit the football talent machine that Texas and Florida are. O.K., maybe just a hair below Florida, but Ohio State is hardly, hardly a school in a “small state.” Secondly, the bizarre part about Texas is that it didn’t fall because of the loss of Vince Young. Of course, you don’t get better by losing VY, but Colt McCoy was arguably the best player in the Big 12 last year before getting hurt and has been a warrior all season long. What McCoy can’t do is carry the team by himself when things break down. Young was an all-timer of a superstar who’ll never, ever be replaced, able to mask all the Texas issues you’re still concerned about. While Texas might not be in the national title hunt, it was close to playing for the Big 12 title last year, and despite the ugly showing for three quarters against Nebraska, is still one of the league's top teams.

If Randy Shannon had told the Hurricanes to rush the endzone a la Mark Richt, wouldn't the college football world be blowing up with righteous anger? – CP

A: Are you asking this based on coaching skin color, program or both? If this is a question about programs, there would rightfully be “righteous anger” from the media if Miami had done what Georgia even if Larry Coker was still the coach. Miami has a history of issues and the reputation of brashness that could incite a major on-field fight by doing something like that. Memories of the Florida International brawl of last year are still fresh, while Georgia doesn’t have that history of issues or a past. It does now, and now it can’t do anything like that again, but that’s what was so great about what the Dawgs did. You’d never, ever have expected that from Mark Richt’s team. It was brilliant.

If Michigan and Ohio State win the next two weeks and Michigan tops Ohio State in Ann Arbor, what are the chances a one loss Ohio State gets an at large BCS bid (giving the Big 10 two BCS berths, to the fury of fans of other conferences)? Aside from the Hawaii/Boise State winner, only Arizona State and Kansas may potentially be one loss teams without an automatic bid, with the one loss for all these teams coming in the last few weeks of the season. Which one of these teams get the open spot, or will a 2-loss team pass them? – CS

A: If Michigan wins the Big Ten title and Ohio State has one loss, outside of a possible Oregon - Michigan rematch, why would fans have a right to be furious? How could you say that these two don't beling in BCS games? Unless LSU loses the SEC Championship game, the SEC won't get two in, and it's unlikely the Big East gets a second team into the top ten. The slot will be three for a second Big Ten team.

This year again truly reinforced how critical it is to get your quarterback playing at a high level. Most of your top teams all have had outstanding play at the quarterback position. (Dennis Dixon, Chase Daniel, Matt Ryan ect....). Which brings me to my question. Why or how do some programs get consistently great playmaking from their quarterback position, while other programs it takes 1 or 2 seasons for the quarterback to start making plays? For example look at the kid at Oklahoma, who is having a great year, and then you look at a team like Oregon State who seems to constantly struggle with a first year quarterbacks. I know powerhouse programs attract better athletes (PLEASE don't mention the word recruit; they don't recruit they select), but I don't think the answer is that simple. Is it?!! - JC

A: Sometimes there are players already in place and the new guy needs to wait his turn, other times there are open battles for a spot for a young player to step in early on, and sometimes, in the case of Sam Bradford, who has two NFL receivers to throw to, a loaded backfield, and one of the five best offensive lines in America to work with, everything is in place. It’s all about getting a guy to fit a system or a style, and some guys get it faster than others. Some guys get better offensive lines than others.

The number one factor in a quarterback’s success is time. How many times have you seen someone get a hand on Tom Brady or Peyton Manning this year? At the highest level, those two make the right reads instantly and get rid of the ball in a hurry, but at the collegiate level, it’s all about the mismatches on the lines. For example, Oklahoma and Ohio State each have dominant lines, Bradford and Todd Boeckman, respectively, don’t get touched, and they get all the time they want to look great. When you hit a college quarterback, you make them screw up. The older a quarterback gets, the fewer mistakes he'll usually make and the better his reads will be. Coaches tend to limit what they give young quarterbacks to deal with.

Who is stronger? The top 6 teams in the Big East (WVU, UConn, USF, Rutgers, Cincy, Louisville) or the SEC East division (Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vanderbilt). – KV

A: Go by the standings. Right now, on a neutral field, would you take …
- Connecticut vs. Georgia … Georgia
- West Virginia vs. Tennessee … West Virginia
- Rutgers vs. South Carolina … South Carolina (but I’d call this even)
- Louisville vs. Florida … Florida
- Cincinnati vs. Kentucky … Kentucky
- South Florida vs. Vanderbilt … South Florida

I’d take the SEC East, but remember, you’re taking the worst team in a division vs. a mid-range team in a conference. Make it Syracuse vs. Vandy and it’s not even a close comparison.

UVA's Peerman to Miss Rest of the Season?

Posted Nov 1st 2007 8:22PM by Ian Cohen
Filed under: Virginia Football, ACC, BCS, NCAA FB Injuries
76775643.jpg
When Virginia debuted their unorthodox helmet stripes, it was hard not to liken them to the Denver Broncos, especially in conjunction with their navy and orange color scheme. Now it's even more obvious, particularly with the way they've been able to switch running backs on the fly after inevitable injuries. From 2002-2004, their offense achieved most of its success rotating the talented, but fragile likes of Wali Lundy, Alvin Pearman and Jason Snelling, who ended up becoming mid-to-late round NFL draft picks.

Cedric Peerman, despite having led the ACC in rushing at one point has been somewhat of a forgotten man since the emergence of Mikell Simpson as possibly the second coming of Tiki Barber and Keith Payne becoming more than just an inspiration for The Sabre fan fiction. But when you're still rockin' the 104th best offense in the country with a brutal stretch run, you need all the help you can get, and Peerman might not be able to contribute. There's the possibility that he could miss the rest of the season with the right ankle injury that's kept him out of UVA's last three games, each determined by a migraine-inducing close margin. Surgery remains an option, but even if he gets a relatively clean bill of health, it's uncertain where Peerman would fit in unless Groh starts thinking about the option or the Power I. The way Jameel Sewell throws at times, it might not be so far fetched.

RJ,

Where did you see Hart and Henne are playing?

Hart's pretty much confirmed. Henne is a bit up in the air but I'm pretty sure he's playing. Some unofficial reports though that Mallet is 80% sure to start.

BTW, thanks for saying good luck for the second time this week. ;)

Tennessee dismisses tailback Coker

Posted: Friday November 2, 2007 3:28PM; Updated: Friday November 2, 2007 5:12PM

<table style="clear: both;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="300"><tbody><tr><td width="10">
1.gif
</td><td class="cnnimgadpad" width="100%">
t1_coker.jpg

LaMarcus Coker led Tennessee in rushing last year with 696 yards.
AP

</td></tr></tbody></table><table style="clear: both;" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="300"><tbody><tr><td width="10">
1.gif
</td><td class="cnnimgadpad">
advertisement_down.gif
<noscript>
</noscript>
</td></tr><tr><td width="10">
1.gif
</td><td class="cnnstoryclpad">
</td></tr></tbody></table>KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Tennessee sophomore tailback LaMarcus Coker was dismissed from the team for undisclosed reasons, coach Phillip Fulmer said Friday.
Fulmer already had suspended Coker for Saturday's game against Louisiana-Lafayette for a violation of team rules, but said after further investigation he decided to dismiss the player.
Fulmer said Coker did not do was what asked of him and he wanted a positive environment for the student athletes at No. 24 Tennessee (5-3).
"As a coach, my first obligation is to the growth of the young men with whom I'm entrusted," Fulmer said. "Sometimes that means encouragement and mentoring, sometimes it means helping them understand the consequences of their decisions."
Coker was suspended for almost three weeks of practice in August for what team officials described as a medical issue. He was also suspended for several practices last December in advance of the Outback Bowl for undisclosed reasons.
Coker, a kick returner and a relief tailback for starter Arian Foster, was the team's leading rusher last season.
The player from the Antioch area of Nashville had fewer highlights this season. He ran for 101 yards and had two touchdowns against Arkansas State on Sept. 22. His kickoff return against South Carolina last week put the Vols in position to kick a game-tying field goal at the end of regulation and go on to beat the Gamecocks in overtime.
"LeMarcus is a talented young man with a lot of life in front of him," Fulmer said. "It is my hope that he will look back at this one day as a life lesson that helped him get things straight for his future."
Fulmer said he believes tailbacks Montario Hardesty and Lennon Creer, who both suffered minor injuries against South Carolina, will be healthy enough to back up Foster.

FRIDAY QUARTERBACK
By SMQ
Posted on Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 05:56:35 PM EDT

Go. Fight. Win. Etc.
Finally, We’ll Learn About...
- - -
Schools like Alabama get at least one shot at a “We’re back bitch!” game every year, but rarely does it come as late as the Tide’s bid for division supremacy against LSU. At no point this season has ‘Bama been considered by the outside world a legitimate conference championship threat, but it will have to be the favorite if it turns the tables on LSU, currently riding a four-game win streak in the series.

58849b05-cc5d-4ca6-aec4-8c13635d164c.jpg

Not yet. Not yet.
- - -
This is a big weekend for Notre Dame, too, as the Irish finally move out of their hellish run against actually decent-to-good teams – ND’s first eight opponents are a combined 49-20 and are all en route to bowl games, probably forming the toughest two-month gauntlet in recent memory – and into a manageable final month of service academies and eggheads. Not that anyone really looks like a pushover from Notre Dame’s current perspective, but as bad as the Irish have been, it can at least salvage some momentum and carry a little optimism into next season with progress against the teams it’s supposed to beat. That starts with continuing the winning streak against Navy, which should at least make Notre Dame feel like Notre Dame again for the first time all season. Otherwise, yeah, it really is that bad. Most to Gain
- - -
There’s Alabama, but the Tide’s SEC West insurgency is small potatoes next to Arizona State’s bid at national viability, the kind that only comes with beating another team with elite standing in voters’ hearts and minds. Everyone respects ASU’s 8-0 start, but the Devils are still all the way down at sixth in the human polls because they’ve lacked exposure, haven’t earned an elite win and still carry the stigma on an outsider in this kind of territory. Realistically, Ohio State is number one as long it keeps on winning by whatever means necessary, but ASU enters the discussion for number two with Boston College, LSU, et al only with a worthy road win. Oregon in Autzen more than qualifies.
As for the Ducks, they obviously have to win out to maximize championship ambitions of any kind, but they’re in a different position than Arizona State because, unlike the Devils, Oregon clearly can’t win its way into the title game. It needs help to get that far.
...AND ALL THE CHILDREN LEARNED TO MULTIPLY BY SEVEN...
In the miserable realm of blowouts and other morbid curiosities.
- - -
Inevitable Massacre of the Week
The biggest line of the week is in Knoxville, where Tennessee takes a well-timed break from SEC body blows for lightweight tuneup with UL-Lafayette. The Vols are four touchdowns, which sees like a reasonable compromise between UT’s six-touchdown talent edge and its two-touchdown volatility buffer. Can you rely on Tennessee to beat its cheerleaders by more than four touchdowns? Probably not, but even on a bad day by the Vols, you can rely on the Cajuns being handled decisively, sooner or later.
Florida International Line Watch
After last week’s loss to Arkansas, Florida International has fallen to cruel defeat in 20 straight games, the longest losing streak in the nation. This week, the Panthers are 17.5-point underdogs at Arkansas State. That seems a little harsh – Arkansas State?
Lame Game of the Week
The worst, Jerry.
- - -
First, it’s lame that a team from Louisiana is playing a conference game in Idaho, as Louisiana Tech is Saturday against the Vandals, and second, that it has to go that far to play in the smallest FBS stadium in the country, Moscow’s Kibbie Dome, which seats a roaring 16,000 and currently sits about 2,500 fans per game below the NCAA-mandated 15,000 over its first four home games. So any game in the Kibbie Dome is depressing per se. Yet we go on: between them, Louisiana Tech and Idaho have two wins over I-A opponents in 15 tries, both of them by La Tech, and one of them a defeat of winless Utah State. On the bright side, the Bulldogs have the distinction of leading the WAC in net punting, going against the conference leader in net punt returns in the Vandals. So something’s gotta give there, one would think.
WE CAN REBUILD. WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY.
Bouncing back.
- - -
Texas Tech: Off two straight losses, the Raiders get to lick their wounds against one of the nation’s lowest-scoring, most turnover-prone, poorest pass-defending outfits at Baylor.
UCLA: The Bruins are always a risk, but a calculated one this week at Arizona, where they last lost 52-7 in 2005. That sounds bad, but this is UCLA: that’s exactly what they want you to think...
Washington: The Huskies have hit the skids in six straight losses since the 2-0 start, and get their best hope at cracking the Pac Ten win column Saturday at Stanford.
Southern Miss: Relinquished control of C-USA East last week against Central Florida, now has to regain some traction at UAB. USM has never lost to the Blazers in seven tries, but also (per Phil Steele) never won by more than nine.
California: Washington State couldn’t come at a better time for the reeling Bears – week-by-week, the losses were growing progressively worse.
Upwards...

46bfd9e7-bf42-4e26-b675-d299c176c9fb.jpg

Pick your poison. It all looks horrible .
- - -
Gonna try something different with the game picks today: for time purposes, because we’re late today, I’m going to update them one at a time so the post isn’t so delayed. So if you don’t see the biting, precise insight for the game you’re looking for, it’s coming. Unless it sucks, in which case I’m not bothering. But otherwise, it’s coming. GAME OF THE CENTURY OF THE WEEK!
Arizona State at Oregon

- - -
What’s at Stake: See above. Mainly, this is about the Pac Ten championship and taking care of business in-conference. ASU hasn’t won a conference title since it ran the table in 1997, Oregon since it was snubbed for the mythical championship game with one loss in 2001, and both still have three conference games in front of them in a league that’s already had its last place team (Stanford, Washington State) knock out is first place team (USC, UCLA) twice in the span of five weeks. Despite the ramifications, it’s too early to be thinking too seriously about national impact when there is still so much ground to cover. The first step is strengthening a grip on the conference.
Arizona State Wants: ASU is still very good at the stereotypical, high-flying Pac Ten offense – Rudy Carpenter has multiple touchdown passes in six of the first eight games – but the Devils have also put together a deep running game that hasn’t missed a beat since leading rusher Ryan Torain was sidelined for the season with a toe injury. Dmitri Nance has moved into the role of yin to Keegan Herring’s yang, picking up 177 yards and four touchdowns in split time the last two games; Herring has 215 yards in the same period, on 6.3 per carry. The chances are not very good if Carpenter has to find himself slinging it around to young receivers in a shootout, the kind of game – when it takes care of the ball – on which Oregon thrives.
There is also this matter of falling way behind right out of the gate, which ASU has done three times now: 14 points down to Colorado, 19 down to Oregon State and 13 down to Cal last week, not to mention smaller halftime deficits against Washington and Washington State, all but the latter (a three-point win on a field goal as the clock expired) games Arizona State went on to win handily. Not only because the odds are so against repeating this trend yet again, on the road, but because Oregon’s offense is operating on the exact opposite trend – the Ducks are fast out of the gate and haven’t trailed at halftime once this season – that smells like the road to disaster.
Oregon Wants: As mentioned, as fast start works in Oregon’s favor, keeping the crowd in the game and getting its first rate skill guys involved and in rhythm from the beginning. No one who watched Oregon dismantle Michigan’s defense back in September could forget the complete performance the offense put on there, powerful, fast, unpredictable and in sync all at once, and it wasn’t an aberration there. The Ducks are not playing great defense, but if this plays out as an “average” game for the offense, and it doesn’t turn the ball over, the defense will have a pretty high margin of error. However solid Arizona State has been on defense against mostly mediocre offenses (Oregon State, Washington State and Cal all moved the ball effectively on ASU), Oregon is nigh indefensible if it’s healthy and has its head on straight (which it has to date this year). Unless the Devils are able to load up against Dixon and Jonathan Stewart early and get in Dixon’s face (something ASU has not done; it’s last in the Pac Ten in sacks and tackles for loss) when he does want to throw, Oregon will be able to do what it usually does, which adds up to a lot of points.
Constants: The quarterbacks are going to complete passes and get the ball up and down the field. ASU was just okay at Washington State (23 points, 296 yards) but otherwise, neither offense has had anything like a bad game.
Variables: The running game is essential to controlling the clock for Arizona State, and the Devils have not been as consistent in that area as Oregon – Oregon State and Washington State both had success stopping ASU runners, and ultimately both were doomed more than any other single factor by turnovers, just as Oregon was doomed by turnovers in its only loss, to Cal.
The Pick: Oregon was on a nearly obscene offensive roll before it ran into USC last week, and found a way to win against a talented group that covered well and limited big plays. Arizona State will have to limit the quick strike and try to force long drives, too, but I like the Ducks’ weapons too much, especially at home. If they don’t give the ball away the way they did at Cal – and nowhere else, as Dixon has been sharp and big mistake-free – ASU should not be able to keep up.
<table> <tbody><tr> <td>
oregon_duck_logo.jpg
</td> <td>Oregon 34</td> <td></td> <td>Arizona State 26</td> </tr> </tbody></table> LSU at Alabama
- - -
No idea yet whether Glenn Dorsey will be able to go off the chop block injury, but I question how much impact that will have strategically – LSU is deep on the line and should stop the Tide from running anyway, and Alabama’s offense has been far more pass-oriented under Major Applewhite. Odds are ‘Bama will come out looking to repeat its passing success against Tennessee, trying to get John Parker Wilson into rhythm on safe throws that will open up more of the offense later on. The dominant Tiger defense of September hasn’t been as evident in the last three games, even with Dorsey: Florida scored 24, Kentucky scored 27 in regulation, Auburn scored 24. LSU might be fading at just the time the Tide is peaking.
Normally, I don’t pay much attention to bye weeks, but in this case, I think it’s crucial: LSU desperately needed a week to regroup after the three draining, emotional games it played in a row, and Alabama was as crisp as any Tide offense has ever looked passing against Tennessee. With time off, though, that momentum is interrupted and we look at the big picture: LSU is still more talented than Alabama and, with Early Doucet back in the offense – he made a a significant difference at Auburn – is less likely to become one-dimensional. Ultimately, ‘Bama’s defense has been just mediocre, which will not be good enough to keep LSU from reestablishing its identity as a power running team and putting the division in a stranglehold.
<table> <tbody><tr> <td>
LSU_logo.bmp
</td> <td>LSU 30</td> <td></td> <td>Alabama 21</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Wisconsin at Ohio State
- - -
The Badgers have run the ball well enough at times that it’s always a threat; at any point, against any defense, you have to concede that Wisconsin can line up and pound its way to a win. Possibility, though, is not probability, and the Badgers have also shown a capability of being stonewalled by good defenses – P.J. Hill was ground to a halt last year at Michigan, Illinois and in the bowl game against Arkansas, and found no room again earlier this year against Penn State. Defenses do not come much better than the current edition of Ohio State’s, which has held three different opponents this year under five yards rushing, and stuffed Minnesota and Michigan State on the ground for good measure. The Buckeyes are not impenetrable (there was Michigan last year, most memorably, and Penn State had some success running on OSU last week), but the description is far more apt for them than it is to Wisconsin, whose D had opened the floodgates before the gears shifted dramatically to shut down a truly terrible Northern Illinois offense two weeks ago, then carried over that success to stopping Indiana last week. The Hoosiers, however, did not have anyone carrying the ball like Chris Wells, who is a bigger, stronger, faster version of the three backs (Javon Ringer, Rashard Mendenhall and Rodney Kinlaw) who gashed the Badgers in straight-ahead running schemes in consecutive weeks. No team is better now than the Buckeyes at controlling the tempo and imposing its will.
<table> <tbody><tr> <td>
OhioStateBuckeyes7.GIF
</td> <td>Ohio State 27</td> <td></td> <td>Wisconsin 14</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Michigan at Michigan State
- - -
The Spartans are somewhat disregarded, not surprisingly, as most teams who lose four games in five weeks are. But outside of its loss to Ohio State, MSU is very close to being in right in the Big Ten race: the other losses are by a field goal at Wisconsin, in overtime against Northwestern and most recently in overtime at Iowa – less than a handful of plays from being 8-1. You can’t take that too far, since the Spartans have allowed 200-plus yards rushing to Wisconsin, Ohio State and Iowa and allowed well over 600 in total offense to Northwestern and you can’t overlook that with Mike Hart and Michigan’s machine-like running game set to do the same kind of damage. Michigan appears to be gelling on defense, as well (three straight opponents held under 300 total yards, including Illinois and Purdue), but if the score starts creeping up, MSU is not going to be helpless about it.
<table> <tbody><tr> <td>
Michigan_Logo1.jpg
</td> <td>Michigan 32</td> <td></td> <td>Michigan State 24</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Texas A&M at Oklahoma
- - -
The Sooners are a three touchdown favorite, which seems high to me against a team OU only beat by one on its way to a conference championship last year; I may be less certain of the Aggies’ alleged listlessness than the general consensus. Either way, we’re only hashing over margins of defeat: TAMU is currently 6-3, and closes against Oklahoma, Missouri and Texas, an ideal recipe for finishing 6-6 on a four-game losing streak, out of bowl contention and with a coach who already has a foot out the door. The Aggies are too one-dimensional against a nasty Oklahoma D to stave off that fate this week.
<table> <tbody><tr> <td>
UOK_Logo.gif
</td> <td>Oklahoma 25</td> <td></td> <td>Texas A&M 13</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Texas at Oklahoma State
- - -
The Cowboys have quietly dug themselves out of a 1-2 hole following that embarrassing loss at Troy – well may not so quietly – and are playing to keep pace with the Sooners in the South with one conference loss apiece. Texas is not really in that picture (no matter what the Longhorns do, Oklahoma would have to lose twice at minimum), but UT’s second half surge last week was a good sign it’s not ready to roll over this lackluster season yet. OSU has the rushing stats – fifth nationally – but if Texas commits to running Jamaal Charles on the still-flimsy Cowboy defense, the ‘Horns will have the more effective attack here.
<table> <tbody><tr> <td>
longhorn.gif
</td> <td>Texas 36</td> <td></td> <td>Oklahoma State 28</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Wake Forest at Virginia
- - -
These two are about as non-descript as two teams with a combined 13-4 record can be. Both teams lost on opening day and have been quietly rolling by narrow margins since; Wake started 0-2 and has now won six in a row. The Deacons get the benefit of the doubt for having a more versatile and effective offense to date, and for having pulled this “Stayin’ Alive” routine before. Riley Skinner is a thoroughly average quarterback who happens to be 15-4 as a starter in two years and Kenneth Moore will be the most dangerous player on the field for either team.
<table> <tbody><tr> <td>
WakeForest.png
</td> <td>Wake Forest 24</td> <td></td> <td>Virginia 20</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Cincinnati at South Florida
- - -
On one level, I don’t trust South Florida’s reliance on Matt Grothe to do everything on offense – Rutgers exposed USF’s lack of execution when a defense can contain the quarterback and not let him create on the fly, and the rest of the offense took a holiday last week at UConn; Grothe threw 30 times and ran 25 more, accounting for 80 percent of offensive snaps, and though the Bulls had 440 yards, he also threw two interceptions and the team scored 15 points in its second straight loss. Cincinnati, though, has regressed much more obviously on defense and is not creating the turnovers that propelled the Bearcats to their 6-0 start. Pittsburgh was the first team to run with great success on Cincy last week, but that success came on the heels of three straight 300-plus yard passing game by UC opponents.
<table> <tbody><tr> <td>
180px-Usfbulls_newlogo.gif
</td> <td>South Florida 31</td> <td></td> <td>Cincinnati 21</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Oregon State at Southern Cal
- - -
This is a much closer-looking game on paper than the 15-point spread suggests, mainly because Oregon State is good in the trenches: OSU leads the nation in run defense and continues to pound out success between the tackles with Yvenson Bernard when the Beavers have the ball. Quarterback, though, leaves too much to be desired, and OSU’s three-game win streak actually coincides with a bit of an offensive rut; a dramatic decline in turnovers has been the difference, just as it was in the Beavers’ run to ten wins last year. It took four turnovers to upset USC in Corvallis, for example, too many to give Oregon State the benefit of the doubt against the more talented team on its own turf. Expect the Trojans to continue struggling to pulling away against the OSU defense, though.
<table> <tbody><tr> <td>
150px-Usc_football_logo.gif
</td> <td>Southern Cal 26</td> <td></td> <td>Oregon State 16</td> </tr> </tbody></table> South Carolina at Arkansas
- - -
Arkansas is out of the race to win the West, rather obviously, but it can still set itself up for a good stretch run with a quality win here, which would be the first the Hogs could claim all season (its five wins to date are against Troy, North Texas, Chattanooga, Ole Miss and Florida International). South Carolina continues to struggle against the run, as usual, which opens the door for a breakout game by McFadden and Jones against an offense that only broke out of its own funk last week in the midst of turning the ball over four times. The luster is definitely off the Gamecocks.
<table><tbody><tr><td>
Arkansas_logo.gif
</td> <td>Arkansas 28</td> <td></td> <td>South Carolina 19</td></tr></tbody></table>

Horrible. Yet funny.

<object width="425" height="366"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V258zRiCpzg&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V258zRiCpzg&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="366"></embed></object>

REPOSE: GOLDEN OCTOBER DECLINED INTO SOMBRE NOVEMBER
By SMQ
Posted on Fri Nov 02, 2007 at 10:39:42 AM EDT

Prognostocenti par excellence Phil Steele rolled out a feature in his national magazine this year called "Snapshot," chronicling how quickly fortunes and opinions change concerning the same set of players. On the first weekend of November - I mean, damn, people, two-thirds of the way through the regular season - it's appropriate to step back and look at what we thought we thought at the start of our latest, greatest October Revolution, and more evidence that we really don't have a clue. Doodly doo doodly doo doodly doo...
October 1st: A full third of the top twelve teams in the AP poll played in the SEC East: Kentucky (#8), Florida (#9), South Carolina (#11) and Georgia (#12). Those teams were 17-3 between them, one of the losses coming to another member of the group (Georgia's field goal defeat against South Carolina) and another to the number one team in the country (Carolina at LSU). Almost 19 percent of the poll's points were concentrated in one division.
November 1st: The East has one team left in the top 15, Georgia - a case of the dreaded "Double Snapshot" after the Bulldogs' ugly, left-for-dead sort of loss at Tennessee on Oct. 6 - and is led via tiebreaker by the three-loss Vols, who didn't receive a single point in the Oct. 1 poll. South Carolina has lost two in a row and Florida and Kentucky have each lost three out of four - those three teams were a combined 4-7 in the month of October, four of the losses coming as a favorite.
11cde0ef-14c3-4f5e-9cfa-9790550db12d.jpg

It's bad now, sure, but just wait another month.
- - -

October 1st: The Pac Ten held two spots in the top five: USC at number two and California at number three. The Trojans were bringing in half of the number one votes in the AP poll (32, to LSU's 33) and Cal faced three unranked teams in four weeks between its affirming win at Oregon and the Pac Ten Armageddon game with SC on Nov. 10. Jim Harbaugh just notched his first win as head coach at Stanford, over San Jose State, and was kind of a laughingstock.
November 1st: The Pac Ten still holds two spots in the top five: Arizona State and the once-vanquished Ducks, who get the Pac Ten Armageddon game instead Saturday in Autzen. The second and third-ranked teams on Oct. 1 went 2-5 the rest of the month with three losses to unranked teams, two of them at home. October 1st: Nebraska was 4-1 and ranked 25th by the AP after the Huskers beat Iowa State for their first conference win. Entering its jockeying match with Missouri for the role of North frontrunner, tackle Carl Nicks bristled at the suggestion the defending champs weren't still the cream of the division, and Bill Callahan talked to reporters about what the Huskers still "want to be":
  • "This is the most important part of our season. Just like last week was the most important part of our season. We want to be 1-0 every week. You can't mess around with this thing. If you have one loss, two losses, that's really detrimental if you want to be what you want to be in college football."
    - - -
...while Nebraska site Corn Nation summed up the conventional wisdom on the North:
  • Missouri and "hot start" go together like salt and pepper. When the Tigers get to "hot finish" is when we should all be worried about them. Otherwise, they're the same old Mizzou, finishing too early. They should learn to pace themselves. Their fans would be much more satisfied.
    Most people pointed to the Missouri- Nebraska game this coming week as the big one for the Big 12 North with the winner taking the North title. I didn't believe that then and still don't. The Nebraska - Kansas State game will say more about who wins the North because Missouri will collapse towards the end of the season. It's in their blood.

- - -
Callahan_into_every_life_a_little_rain_must_fall.jpg

When it rains, coach, you know it pours.
- - -

Missouri was 4-0 and 17th in the AP poll. Kansas, 4-0 against the lowest of the low non-conference schedules, had 3 points in the "Also Receiving Votes" section of the AP poll.
November 1st: Through "the most important part of [the] season," Callahan's team allowed 540 yards and 38 points per game in four straight losses, during which opposing backs averaged 6.1 per carry and the "Blackshirts" logged three sacks and one interception and were gashed for 300 yards rushing three weeks in a row, most recently on the strength of a 200-yard, three-touchdown quarter by Jamaal Charles. Callahan, whose win total jumped from five to seven to nine in his first three years, is en route to guiding both of Nebraska's only two losing seasons in 40 years and all but actually doused in flames to symbolize his eminent demise as boss. Kansas and Missouri are a combined 15-1 and ranked eighth and ninth, respectively, in both the AP and BCS polls. The Jayhawks are a 20-point favorite to win in Lawrence Saturday. October 1st: Perennial bottom-dwellers Buffalo and Temple were a combined 1-9, the only win between them coming when Buffalo "upset" the Owls in the second week of the season. The Bulls' latest exercise in futility was a 35-point loss to Ball State, Temple's a 16-point defeat at the hands of Army, the Academy's first I-A win of the season.
November 1st: Perennial bottom-dwellers Buffalo and Temple are enjoying the sweet taste of success, in first and third place in the MAC East, respectively, after combining to go 6-0 in-conference for the month of October. Temple enters tonight's game with Ohio U. of Ohio on its first three-game winning streak since 1990 and first three-game conference winning streak since the Johnson Administration; Buffalo boss Turner Gill, with a chance to clinch the division Saturday against Miami, Ohio, will soon be Nebraska boss Turner Gill.
I'm going to make my weekly picks this afternoon, and they will be impeccably justified, researched and polished to shine as always in the face of conventional wisdom and naysaying nuttery alike. As always, I will look like a fool.

Phil:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="904"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td colspan="29">Each week I will look at the matchups involving top 25 teams for the upcoming week and give you my forecast on the game. If you read pages 324 and 327 of my National college football preview you will see I have a Power Plays projection for each teams yards for the season. I will give you my computers projection for each game as well and keep track how both do this season. The numbers above the game reflect the Power Plays projected box score for each game. I then write my personal analysis below. I am not a computer and I do not just go by what a computer predicts, so sometimes the forecasts may vary. All games will be tabulated by the Straight up winner of each game. I will also have a couple of extra marquee games or upset selections each week to keep it interesting. Here are this weeks games involving Top 25 tms.*Numbers in Red are actual numbers/ Highlighted numbers are within 30 yds or 4 pts!
</td><td colspan="7">
</td><td height="135">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="42">
</td><td height="5">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="8">
</td><td colspan="19" rowspan="5">Wk of November 1st
</td><td colspan="15" rowspan="2">
</td><td height="3">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="3" rowspan="2">
</td><td colspan="4" rowspan="2">
item2a2a1a1a1a1a1a.gif
</td><td rowspan="2">
</td><td height="2">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td rowspan="2">
</td><td colspan="14" rowspan="2">
item2a2a1a1a1a1a1a.gif
</td><td height="3">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="8" rowspan="2">
</td><td height="2">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="15">
</td><td height="14">
</td><td height="9">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="5" rowspan="2">
</td><td colspan="7" rowspan="2">#1
</td><td colspan="30">
</td><td height="17">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="14">
</td><td colspan="14" rowspan="3">#2
</td><td colspan="2" rowspan="3">
</td><td height="33">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="26">
</td><td height="4">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="4" rowspan="3">
</td><td colspan="10" rowspan="3"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td height="12" valign="top" width="124">
_clear.gif
</td><td valign="top" width="53">Yds Rushing
</td><td valign="top" width="53">Yds Passing
</td><td valign="top" width="53">Points
</td><td valign="top" width="53">Turn Overs
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Wisconsin
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">110
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">95
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">9
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">2.5
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#1 Ohio State
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">210
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">190
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">30
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">2.0
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td colspan="12">
</td><td height="11">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="28">
</td><td height="5">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="12">
</td><td colspan="15" rowspan="3"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td height="12" valign="top" width="124">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Florida St
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">48
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">275
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">14
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">3.4
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#2 Boston Coll
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">97
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">320
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">27
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td rowspan="3">
</td><td height="38">
</td><td height="4">
</td><td colspan="10" rowspan="3">I was expecting a tight game last week at Penn St but the Buckeyes won impressively and were even more dominant than the final score with Penn St getting a late kick return TD. Wisconsin has already lost at Penn St 38-7 and are very thin at RB with Hill banged up and Smith not allowed to travel with the team. Ohio St gets an impressive home win and should be a unanimous #1 after this week.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #1 OHIO ST 34 Wisconsin 10
</td><td colspan="12">
</td><td height="12">
</td><td height="4">
</td><td colspan="15" rowspan="2">BC’s unbeaten season was done, cooked and finished with just 2:30 left in their Thursday Night game and even the ESPN announcers were remarking about ANOTHER #2 team losing. Then a MIRACLE win and amazingly BC is still unbeaten. I will not pick vs BC this week and they should win a tough game vs an underachieving FSU squad.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #2 BOSTON COLLEGE 23 Florida St 20
</td><td rowspan="2">
</td><td height="101">
</td><td height="6">
</td><td height="19">
</td><td colspan="7" rowspan="2">#3 vs #17
</td><td colspan="30">
</td><td height="22">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="13">
</td><td colspan="13" rowspan="3">#4 vs #6
</td><td colspan="4" rowspan="3">
</td><td height="26">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="25">
</td><td height="5">
</td><td colspan="10" rowspan="3"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td height="12" valign="top" width="124">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#3 LSU
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">178
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">26
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">2.1
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#17 Alabama
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">92
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">245
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">24
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td colspan="11">
</td><td height="17">
</td><td height="3">
</td><td colspan="16" rowspan="3"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td height="12" valign="top" width="124">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#6 Arizona St
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">134
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">228
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">25
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#4 Oregon
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">247
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">273
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">34
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">2.6
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td colspan="4" rowspan="3">
</td><td height="34">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="22">
</td><td height="4">
</td><td colspan="10" rowspan="3">Ask any LSU fan and this is the most important game of the season for them. LSU players which Saban recruited will have a little extra edge for this one as well. Even with that being said, LSU has been beatable their last 3 games and could easily have lost to both Auburn and Florida at home. Bama QB Wilson had a career high passing game vs LSU’s D last year and that was on the road. Another key here is that DL Dorsey is questionable and I don’t think we will see a 100% Dorsey even if he plays. This one goes down to the wire but I will call for the Tide to pull out the home upset.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #17 ALABAMA 24 #3 Lsu 23
</td><td colspan="8">
</td><td height="16">
</td><td height="4">
</td><td colspan="16" rowspan="3">QB Dixon and RB Stewart are battling QB White and RB Slaton of West Virginia to see which is the best QB/RB combo in the country. In my magazine I said that Arizona St had a great shot to be 8-0 at this point and I expected Oregon to be 7-1 (although I thought a win over Cal and a loss to USC prior to the year). Arizona ST is without RB Torrian who was lost for the year a few weeks back and QB Carpenter is not 100%. This is by far the toughest road test of the season for Sun Devils and Oregon D is getting better weekly and the Ducks win more impressively than expected.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #4 OREGON 38 #6 Arizona St 24
</td><td colspan="4" rowspan="3">
</td><td height="134">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="22">
</td><td height="16">
</td><td colspan="7" rowspan="3">#5
</td><td colspan="11">
</td><td height="4">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="31">
</td><td height="24">
</td><td colspan="13" rowspan="3">#8
</td><td colspan="6" rowspan="3">
</td><td height="20">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="23">
</td><td height="3">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="2" rowspan="3">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Texas A&M
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">145
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">140
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">16
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">1.8
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#5 Oklahoma
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">260
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">32
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">2.2
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td colspan="11">
</td><td height="25">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="30">
</td><td height="3">
</td><td colspan="15" rowspan="3"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td height="12" valign="top" width="124">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Nebraska
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">88
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">230
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">12
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">2.9
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#8 Kansas
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">262
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">37
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td colspan="3" rowspan="3">
</td><td height="26">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="24">
</td><td height="4">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="2" rowspan="4">
</td><td colspan="10" rowspan="4">Last week all the chips were in for Texas A&M. They were at home in a MUST win with 3 super opponents on deck and taking on a Kansas team on its second road game and playing their toughest opponent of the year and it was at Kyle Field. This was their chance to show they would be a contender for the Big 12 South and coach Fran could turn the hot seat down a few notches. After their loss they could very well finish 6-6 and it looks as if Frans dismissal is just a matter of time. Oklahoma keeps losing respect after 4 straight unimpressive performances and they need to smack someone. Frans playful slaps at Stoops in the summer make the OU unit that much more ready for a blowout.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #5 OKLAHOMA 41 Texas A&M 13
</td><td colspan="12">
</td><td height="24">
</td><td height="4">
</td><td colspan="15">Nebraska has a backup QB making his first road start vs an undefeated Kansas team that has been burying the competition at home. I thought the Huskers showed some heart last week for the first time in over a month and they almost (and probably should of) knocked off Texas on the road. I could make a case for the Huskers to rise up and play well. Usually when a team suffers a major injury they play harder and their opponent lets up a little and upsets happen. I have picked against Kansas the last two weeks however and won’t do it a third time.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #8 KANSAS 34 Nebraska 20
</td><td colspan="3">
</td><td height="140">
</td><td height="14">
</td><td height="6">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="23">
</td><td colspan="13" rowspan="2">#10
</td><td colspan="6" rowspan="2">
</td><td height="30">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="3" rowspan="3">
</td><td colspan="7" rowspan="3">#9
</td><td colspan="13">
</td><td height="18">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="32">
</td><td height="4">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="11">
</td><td colspan="16" rowspan="3"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td height="12" valign="top" width="124">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Troy
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">126
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">175
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">18
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#10 Georgia
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">184
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">30
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td colspan="5" rowspan="3">
</td><td height="26">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="21">
</td><td height="3">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#9 Missouri
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">145
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">248
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">29
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">2.3
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Colorado
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">151
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">278
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td colspan="9">
</td><td height="25">
</td><td height="4">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="9">
</td><td colspan="16" rowspan="4">Georgia is off their emotional win over Florida and have a huge game against Auburn on deck. If teams have A, B and C games than this is a “C” game for the Bulldogs. Troy’s players all thought they would be recruited by the SEC but ended up in the Sun Belt and they are the most talented team in that league and solid on both sides of the ball. A bowl bid for Troy revolves around the SBC title and they are in a SBC sandwich themselves and with QB Haugabrook dinged up they may just rest him.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #10 GEORGIA 31 Troy 17
</td><td colspan="5" rowspan="4">
</td><td height="25">
</td><td height="4">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="2">
</td><td colspan="10">Colorado upset Oklahoma at home and Texas Tech on the road. They had a great shot at beating Kansas at home two weeks ago but just did not get it done. They are a dangerous team. Missouri looked past Iowa St last week and is still my pick to win the Big 12 North and while it won’t be easy they get the win in Boulder.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #9 Missouri 31 COLORADO 23
</td><td colspan="9">
</td><td height="89">
</td><td height="11">
</td><td height="9">
</td><td colspan="7" rowspan="2">#11
</td><td colspan="32">
</td><td height="24">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="10">
</td><td colspan="13" rowspan="3">#13
</td><td colspan="9" rowspan="3">
</td><td height="24">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="20">
</td><td height="2">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#11 Virginia Tech
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">75
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">118
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">17
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">1.6
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Georgia Tech
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">181
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">168
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">1.7
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td colspan="8">
</td><td height="22">
</td><td height="2">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="7">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Oregon St
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">59
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">103
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">11
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">3.3
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#13 USC
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">132
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">288
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td colspan="8" rowspan="3">
</td><td height="30">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="19">
</td><td height="4">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="2" rowspan="4">
</td><td colspan="10" rowspan="4">STUNNED. Virginia Tech’s players are stunned as they dominated BC last week and had the game wrapped up but then two TD’s in the final 2 minutes and their dominating win and ensuing ACC title evaporated. If they can refocus they should be able to beat GT here as RB Choice is out and QB Bennett who looked great in the bowl throwing to Calvin Johnson has not looked as good without CJ. Two top notch defenses and two average offenses but VT at a little higher level and get it done on the road.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #11 VIRGINIA TECH 21 Georgia Tech 18
</td><td colspan="7">
</td><td height="20">
</td><td height="4">
</td><td colspan="15">USC should be getting healthier and they are back at home playing with legitimate revenge for their stunning loss last year in Corvallis . OSU QB Canfield has been known to toss a few interceptions on the road vs quality defenses and this is the toughest D he has faced all year.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #13 USC 27 Oregon St 10
</td><td colspan="8">
</td><td height="92">
</td><td height="27">
</td><td height="4">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="18">
</td><td colspan="13" rowspan="2">#15
</td><td colspan="11" rowspan="2">
</td><td height="21">
</td><td colspan="7" rowspan="4">#14
</td><td colspan="9">
</td><td height="30">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="33">
</td><td height="3">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="8" rowspan="2">
</td><td colspan="15" rowspan="4"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td height="12" valign="top" width="124">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#15 Michigan
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">176
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">160
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Michigan St
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">189
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">195
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">2.4
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td colspan="10" rowspan="4">
</td><td height="25">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="4">
</td><td height="1">
</td><td height="4">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#14 Texas
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">173
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">275
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">1.9
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Oklahoma St
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">217
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">265
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">33
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td colspan="6">
</td><td height="24">
</td><td height="4">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="6">
</td><td colspan="15" rowspan="3">Wolves played their backup QB and RB last week and handed Minnesota 7 points early but still won 34-10. Michigan St is playing well under Danantonio but Michigan stays on course for the showdown with the Buckeyes that will determine the Big Ten title.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #15 Michigan 30 MICHIGAN ST 23
</td><td colspan="10" rowspan="3">
</td><td height="26">
</td><td height="4">
</td><td colspan="10" rowspan="3">Texas has only played two impressive games this year and they were against Rice and Iowa St. They easily could have lost last week to Nebraska. OSU is a much stronger team at home than on the road and have already taken down Texas Tech and Kansas St (Wildcats beat Texas) here. First true road test this year for Horns and they do not pass it.
PHIL’S FORECAST: OKLAHOMA ST 34 #14 Texas 30
</td><td colspan="6">
</td><td height="61">
</td><td height="26">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="5">
</td><td colspan="13" rowspan="3">#18
</td><td colspan="13" rowspan="3">
</td><td height="17">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="18">
</td><td height="20">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="7" rowspan="3">
</td><td colspan="7" rowspan="3">#16
</td><td colspan="4">
</td><td height="14">
</td><td height="4">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="3">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Vanderbilt
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">138
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">185
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">23
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#18 Florida
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">172
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">260
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">34
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td colspan="12" rowspan="3">
</td><td height="30">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="17">
</td><td height="4">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="5" rowspan="3">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Rutgers
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">3.1
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#16 Connecticut
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">167
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">195
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td colspan="2">
</td><td height="20">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="29">
</td><td height="4">
</td><td colspan="15" rowspan="3">A few weeks back I gave Vandy a great shot at upsetting Auburn and they were demolished. The next week they almost upset Georgia and then go on the road and knock off South Carolina. Florida is in a Kentucky/Georgia / Steve Spurrier sandwich and are a banged up team on the DLine and QB Tebow is not 100%. Vandy has taken Florida to the wire each of the last two years and they will be confident but I wont pick against the Gators in the Swamp.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #18 FLORIDA 34 Vanderbilt 24
</td><td colspan="12" rowspan="3">
</td><td height="30">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="17">
</td><td height="4">
</td><td colspan="10" rowspan="2">Both teams played ridiculously soft non-conference schedules but UConn has pulled off a couple of upsets the last two weeks at home vs both Louisville and South Florida in games they could easily have lost. Rutgers was better than the score last week vs West Virginia. I rate these two teams even and with UConn at home they get the win.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #16 CONNECTICUT 24 Rutgers 21
</td><td colspan="2">
</td><td height="95">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="29">
</td><td height="6">
</td></tr><tr><td width="3">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="145">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="7">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="270">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="3">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="68">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="19">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="2">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="2">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="2">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="2">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="2">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="3">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="3">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="73">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="4">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="250">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="3">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="3">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="3">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="2">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="3">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="2">
_clear.gif
</td><td height="1" width="9">
_clear.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table><map name="map1"><area alt="" coords="12,1411,74,1421" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Contact%20Us/contact.html"><area alt="" coords="11,1383,75,1393" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Advertisers/advertisers.html"><area alt="" coords="8,1356,121,1368" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Regionals/regionalotherpag.html"><area alt="" coords="7,1343,124,1355" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Regionals/regionalaccbigea.html"><area alt="" coords="8,1330,73,1342" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Regionals/regionalpac10.html"><area alt="" coords="9,1317,60,1329" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Regionals/regionalsec.html"><area alt="" coords="8,1304,77,1316" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Regionals/regionalbig12.html"><area alt="" coords="8,1291,78,1303" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Regionals/regionalbig10.html"><area alt="" coords="8,1278,119,1290" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Regionals/regionalpreviews.html"><area alt="" coords="2,1267,7,1271" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Regionals/regionalpreviews.html"><area alt="" coords="8,1245,87,1257" href="http://www.philsteele.com/ProPreview/propreviewrightp.html"><area alt="" coords="8,1231,79,1243" href="http://www.philsteele.com/ProPreview/propreviewleftpa.html"><area alt="" coords="8,1218,86,1230" href="http://www.philsteele.com/ProPreview/propreviewfront.html"><area alt="" coords="8,1183,115,1195" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Fantasy/collegeotherpage.html"><area alt="" coords="8,1169,109,1181" href="http://www.philsteele.com/CollegePreview/collegepreviewri.html"><area alt="" coords="8,1156,102,1168" href="http://www.philsteele.com/CollegePreview/collegepreviewle.html"><area alt="" coords="8,1142,108,1154" href="http://www.philsteele.com/CollegePreview/collegepreview.html"><area alt="" coords="9,1066,110,1076" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/scheduleslogs.html"><area alt="" coords="9,1038,78,1048" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/2005ncaastats.html"><area alt="" coords="12,992,80,1005" href="http://www.philsteele.com/NFL/nfllinks.html"><area alt="" coords="12,978,88,988" href="http://www.philsteele.com/NFL/nfllinks.html"><area alt="" coords="12,950,106,963" href="http://www.philsteele.com/NFL/fantasymain.html"><area alt="" coords="15,922,91,932" href="http://www.philsteele.com/NFL/2007nflweekbywee.html"><area alt="" coords="12,908,94,921" href="http://www.philsteele.com/NFL/2007nflweekbywee.html"><area alt="" coords="12,866,108,878" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/2007quotes.html"><area alt="" coords="12,838,94,851" href="http://www.philsteele.com/FBS%20Info/schoollinks.html"><area alt="" coords="12,824,124,837" href="http://www.philsteele.com/FBS%20Info/schoollinks.html"><area alt="" coords="11,796,55,806" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Articles/articlesmain.html"><area alt="" coords="12,768,120,778" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Bowls/bowlsmain.html"><area alt="" coords="12,740,103,750" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/2007qa.html"><area alt="" coords="9,726,134,738" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/2007qa.html"><area alt="" coords="9,698,114,708" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/2007radioshows.html"><area alt="" coords="9,670,134,683" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/o%27brienaward.html"><area alt="" coords="9,642,106,652" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/tedhendricks.html"><area alt="" coords="10,614,103,624" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/lombardiaward.html"><area alt="" coords="9,586,123,599" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/mackeyaward.html"><area alt="" coords="10,558,110,571" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/2007diviaainjuri.html"><area alt="" coords="9,544,127,557" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/2007diviaainjuri.html"><area alt="" coords="10,516,51,529" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/week1injuries.html"><area alt="" coords="9,502,117,515" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/week1injuries.html"><area alt="" coords="9,474,101,487" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/scoringoffd.html"><area alt="" coords="9,460,114,473" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/scoringoffd.html"><area alt="" coords="9,432,135,445" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/2007specialteams.html"><area alt="" coords="9,404,120,417" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/passeffd.html"><area alt="" coords="9,376,120,389" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/ncaaprojectedsta.html"><area alt="" coords="9,362,80,372" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/ncaaprojectedsta.html"><area alt="" coords="8,334,132,347" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/2007collegepower.html"><area alt="" coords="8,306,100,316" href="http://www.philsteele.com/NCAA%20Schedules/Future%20Schedules/futureschedulesf.html"><area alt="" coords="11,278,65,288" href="http://www.philsteele.com/NCAA%20Schedules/Div%20IAA%20Schedules/conferencemain.html"><area alt="" coords="11,264,125,277" href="http://www.philsteele.com/NCAA%20Schedules/Div%20IAA%20Schedules/conferencemain.html"><area alt="" coords="9,236,111,249" href="http://www.philsteele.com/NCAA%20Schedules/2007weekbyweek.html"><area alt="" coords="11,222,119,235" href="http://www.philsteele.com/NCAA%20Schedules/2007weekbyweek.html"><area alt="" coords="11,194,65,204" href="http://www.philsteele.com/NCAA%20Schedules/ncaaschedules.html"><area alt="" coords="11,179,115,192" href="http://www.philsteele.com/NCAA%20Schedules/ncaaschedules.html"><area alt="" coords="11,149,136,159" href="http://www.philsteele.com/FBS%20Info/midssn%20all%20conf/midssnallconfmai.html"><area alt="" coords="11,135,130,145" href="http://www.philsteele.com/FBS%20Info/midssn%20all%20conf/midssnallconfmai.html"><area alt="" coords="11,105,132,118" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Top%2025/top25main.html"><area alt="" coords="11,76,119,89" href="http://www.philsteele.com/Misc%20Pages/phil%27sweeklynote.html"><area alt="" coords="11,47,99,57" href="http://ncsports.websitegear.com"><area alt="" coords="13,0,78,13" href="http://www.philsteele.com"></map><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="904"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td colspan="10">
</td><td height="21">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td rowspan="2">
</td><td colspan="3" rowspan="2">#19
</td><td colspan="6">
</td><td height="33">
</td><td rowspan="3">#20
</td><td rowspan="3">
</td><td height="18">
</td><td height="3">
</td><td colspan="4" rowspan="3"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td height="12" valign="top" width="124">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Tennessee Tech
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">-36
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">123
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">0
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">4.1
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#19 Auburn
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">276
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">303
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">49
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">0.8
</td><td height="30">
</td><td height="5">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td>
</td><td colspan="3" rowspan="3"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td height="12" valign="top" width="124">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Cincinnati
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">93
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">185
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">17
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">3.8
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#20 USF
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">192
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">265
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">3.2
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td height="19">
</td><td height="4">
</td><td colspan="4" rowspan="3">Tennessee Tech is not a good team even playing a FCS schedule. My computer calls for a 49-0 shutout with a 578-86 yard edge. Starters may not play past the 1Q and this will be like a practice game for the Tigers.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #19 AUBURN 49 Tennessee Tech 0
</td><td>
</td><td height="31">
</td><td height="4">
</td><td colspan="3" rowspan="3">South Florida was in the national spotlight two weeks ago rising to #2 in the polls with BCS title talk dancing in their heads. After 2 tough losses in a pair of road games vs bowl teams they are down to #20 and no one will be talking about them. They could easily have won at both Rutgers and Connecticut and now they are back at home and will play up to their capabilities.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #20 SOUTH FLORIDA 34 Cincinnati 17

</td><td height="43">
</td><td height="38">
</td><td colspan="2" rowspan="2">#21
</td><td colspan="2">
</td><td height="45">
</td><td height="6">
</td></tr><tr><td width="157">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="343">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="2">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="2">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="20">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="2">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="345">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td height="1" width="30">
_clear.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="904"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td colspan="14">
</td><td height="3">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="2" rowspan="2">
</td><td colspan="5" rowspan="2"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td height="12" valign="top" width="124">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#21 Wake Forest
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">112
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Virginia
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">139
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">243
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">22
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">3.0
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td colspan="7">
</td><td height="23">
</td><td colspan="2" rowspan="3">#21
</td><td colspan="2" rowspan="3">
</td><td height="31">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="10">
</td><td height="4">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="2" rowspan="5">
</td><td colspan="5" rowspan="5">As usual Wake is winning games but doing it with mirrors. Last week they won 37-10 but were outgained 313-269. This week they take on a Cavs team that is much stronger at home than on the road and my computer says they will outgain WF by a 382-280 yard margin. Al Groh used to coach at Wake. Virginia has the talent and home edge and gets the win.
PHIL’S FORECAST: VIRGINIA 25 #21 Wake Forest 17
</td><td colspan="3">
</td><td height="16">
</td><td height="5">
</td><td colspan="5"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td height="12" valign="top" width="124">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">San Jose St
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">67
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">225
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">14
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#21 Boise St
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">258
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">40
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td>
</td><td height="54">
</td><td height="4">
</td><td colspan="5" rowspan="5">San Jose St was much better than the score (30-0) at Fresno as they lost confidence in their kicker after their 10th straight missed FG. Their two missed FG’s and 4 SOD’s were like 6 TO’s. They have the talent to keep this close and even flirt with an upset but need to get the FG situation corrected as mistakes turn into blowouts on the blue turf.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #21 BOISE ST 38 San Jose St 17
</td><td rowspan="5">
</td><td height="23">
</td><td height="29">
</td><td colspan="2">#23
</td><td colspan="4">
</td><td height="51">
</td><td height="7">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td rowspan="3">
</td><td colspan="5" rowspan="3"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td height="12" valign="top" width="124">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#23 South Carolina
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">133
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">200
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">20
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Arkansas
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">227
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">115
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">28
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">2.7
</td><td height="2">
</td><td height="29">
</td><td colspan="2" rowspan="3">#24
</td><td rowspan="3">
</td><td height="23">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td colspan="11">
</td><td height="4">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td rowspan="5">
</td><td colspan="5" rowspan="5">South Carolina dominated Tennessee yardage wise last week with a 501-317 yard edge and 31-16 FD edge. The Vols came away with the win. Spurrier is still doing a great job at getting his team to play well on the SEC road and while the Hogs have looked impressive in 4 of the last 6 weeks, those wins were only vs North Texas, Chattanoga, Fla Int and Ole Miss. When they played two bowl caliber teams at home they lost to both Kentucky and Auburn. South Carolina has the D to slow down the Hogs rush attack and get the road win.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #23 South Carolina 23 ARKANSAS 20
</td><td colspan="5">
</td><td height="24">
</td><td height="5">
</td><td colspan="5"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td height="12" valign="top" width="124">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Louisiana-Lft
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">173
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">130
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#24 Tennessee
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">242
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">350
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">51
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">1.6
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td height="54">
</td><td height="4">
</td><td colspan="5" rowspan="3">ULL is one of the weaker teams in the SBC and although their option can be tricky and they rushed for over 300 yards vs a disinterested South Carolina in the opener, the Vols should win big here.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #24 TENNESSEE 44 Louisiana-Lft 20
</td><td height="53">
</td><td height="20">
</td><td colspan="2" rowspan="2">#25
</td><td colspan="4">
</td><td height="2">
</td><td height="49">
</td></tr><tr><td width="154">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="344">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="21">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="344">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="1">
_clear.gif
</td><td height="1" width="31">
_clear.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="904"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td colspan="2">
</td><td height="4">
</td><td><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td height="12" valign="top" width="124">
_clear.gif
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">#25 Clemson
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">206
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">313
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">40
</td></tr><tr><td height="17" valign="top" width="124">Duke
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">75
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">208
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">16
</td><td valign="middle" width="53">3.1
</td></tr></tbody></table></td><td height="54">
</td></tr><tr><td width="154">
_clear.gif
</td><td width="348">
_clear.gif
</td><td height="1" width="402">
_clear.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="904"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td colspan="2">
</td><td height="3">
</td><td>The last couple of times Clemson traveled here their players said that the small crowd and setting had them sleepwalk thru the games and they won one game by 3 and were upset in their last trip here. My computer says that they will have 519 yards and perhaps Bowden can keep them awake for this one and if they are they will romp.
PHIL’S FORECAST: #25 Clemson 38 DUKE 17

Wazzu RB Tardy done for season

Posted: Thursday November 1, 2007 9:10PM; Updated: Thursday November 1, 2007 9:10PM

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) -- Washington State running back Dwight Tardy will miss the rest of the season after injuring his left knee last weekend against UCLA.
Tardy, a junior who rushed for a career-best 214 yards and two touchdowns on 37 carries in the Cougars' 27-7 victory over UCLA, will have surgery, coach Bill Doba said Thursday. Backup senior Kevin McCall, who gained 51 yards on 11 carries against UCLA, will start Saturday at California, Doba said.
Doba said it appeared the anterior cruciate ligament in Tardy's left knee was injured during a 51-yard TD run in the final minute of the game. After making a cut near midfield, Tardy raced down the left sideline for the score, but limped back to the bench.
Tardy has run for 676 yards this season.

Florida Gators cheap shot:

<object width="425" height="366"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5H5XYC5DnwQ&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5H5XYC5DnwQ&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="366"></embed></object>

Back