Week 1 Writeups and Hopefully Feedback

I agree with two of your picks.

BYU is my number one pick this week. I expect them to win SU.

N Dame is my #2. I agree with your assessment of both teams. It is hard to believe with all the talent in that state, but Texas has no game breaker on the roster. I expect to see some improvement in Swoopes, but they still have no running game.

I look for Zaire to break out in this game and Folston to show the world he is a star. The ND defense, with Schmidt back, is the best Kelly has had and I expect them to bottle Texas up.

HMMMM. Looks like you had a good week!

Great read. Do you worry about a team facing triple option having all offseason to prepare for it in week 1?

Well, in hindsight, I guess I should have....

Typically, I don't worry too much because it's impossible to completely simulate in practice and teams like WV aren't going to be devoting their whole fall practice to Georgia Southern. There's more of a shock value effect during the season than there is in the opener though, definitely.

Overall, not a great week. 5-5-1, right up there with a coin flip. I hope you'll all forgive me here as I recap in an effort to learn from the results of the week.

UNC: Not worried about this one. If Williams had even an average game, UNC wins that game going away. People focus on the 3 INTs in or near the endzone, but he was missing guys all night in crucial spots to keep drives alive.

WKU: Was lucky to push this one, but a bet on Vandy finding ways to not cover at this point (at least when they aren't a massive dog) is probably never a bad play. Did not see the game developing the way it did.

Utah: Nailed this one pretty well.

Boise: I felt I capped this game as well as any this week. Fell asleep at halftime (16-0) but unfortunately, Boise didn't bring their offense back out for the second half and they had some bad breaks in the STs.

Stanford: Wow. Hats off of Thorsen and the Cats. D- for me.

Temple: Still issues for the PSU offense it appears. Had this one pretty good.

Tulsa: Offense for Tulsa looked great, but I didn't think FAU would be able to go on the road and score with them. Wrong on my part. If Tulsa had the ball first in OT would have probably covered. C grade on this one.

BYU: If Hill didn't get hurt, BYU wins it going away. Good win for the Cougs anyway. Hopefully the youngster can be competent to keep them going.

Arkansas: B. Got a bit lucky here.

Ga Southern: Probably the worst call I've made in years. Here's the worst sentence of them all: I said the drop off from suspended Kevin Ellison to Favian Upshaw "might not be so bad". Final numbers for Upshaw: 2/13 29 yards 0 TD 4 INT. F---. Bad things typically happen when I hitch my wagon to Sun Belt teams. Lesson learned. Moving on....

ND: Nailed this one pretty well.

Overall, not good, but lessons to be learned. Thanks to all for the kind words and we'll get back at it this week.

you did some great capping but the chips fall how they may sometimes. Yea SC was lucky to win that one but you are right Williams air mailed 3 bubble screens so he just had an awful night. Boise was a joke man they were crushing it and wash just loaded the box and they never went over top. The int, blocked punt, fumble, and punt return for a tuddy in the second half didnt help haha. Keep it up man!

Sackenberg was sacked ten times. He plays so scared and so slow at the same time. The fact he knows his oline stinks is in his head and he freezes up. He is not there mentally to be a big time QB.

Back