Week 1 Writeups and Hopefully Feedback

Br@ssknux

Pretty much a regular
Hello Gents. Things have been hectic around here so I got a late start on handicapping. As always, I greatly appreciate the feedback from all the great cappers on the site. It looks like another great year, and CTG is as good as ever.

1. North Carolina +3(had to buy it) v South Carolina: This game is being played in Charlotte, so it's a bit of a home game for the Tar Heels, although it's not a very far drive from Columbia and the Cocks have a fanbase more likely to travel. Both of these teams had atrocious defenses last year. I made some money fading North Carolina last year, mostly because of their defense, a quick perusing of last year's stats indicates that South Carolina was just as bad on defense as UNC was. South Carolina was 117th in total defensive efficiency, 113th against the run and 88th against the pass. They brought almost no pressure on the QB, as they ranked 120th in sacks. Both teams were good on offense last year, especially the Gamecocks, but they lost a ton off last year's offense. OBC just named his started a couple days ago, some kid named Connor Mitch, who has never taken a snap. Their offensive line looks to have taken a step back and they lost most of their receiving production as well as RB Mike Davis. UNC on the other hand returns every single contributor from last year's offense, which was a pretty explosive group. QB Marquise Williams is the biggest returnee, and he has all of his skill buddies back as well as all 5 offensive linemen. Defensively,l they have a long way to go, but they brought in Gene Chizik to coach the defense, and South Carolina is likely to struggle in their first game under a new signal caller. I think there's a chance that USC struggles to get going, but I will be stunned i they can slow down the UNC attack with a defense coming off such a horrific performance last year. Even if their defense is vastly improved, UNC should be able to score on them with relative ease.

2. Western Kentucky -2 @ Vanderbilt. Yes, I am taking a C-USA team to cover as a road favorite against an SEC team. Vandy is coming off a terrible year, one in which they never could get going on offense, and also struggled mightily on defense. The 'Dores were ranked 75th overall in defensive efficiency and 107th against the pass. Unfortunately for them, WKU ranked 3rd in the country in pass offense and has everyone back...a stud QB in Brandon Doughty, and 1500 yard RB in Leon Allen and the full complement of receivers from last year. WKU's issues are usually on defensive end, but Vandy is not likely armed offensively to take full advantage of a leaky defense. One thing is for sure though....WKU is going to score, and I don't think Vandy can hang with them.

3. @Utah -4.5 v Michigan: I suspect I won't be going against Michigan very often in the near future due to my affinity for Jim Harbaugh, but I think this line is a bit inflated in Michigan's favor. Obviously, Harbaugh is a great hire, but we're talking about an offense with a new QB (likely ex Iowa QB Jake Rudock) who has pedestrian numbers at best and a host of new skill guys, going into a vicious environment to face a solid, well coached squad. Defensively, Utah returns more sacks than any team in the country, so it's likely Rudock or whoever else ends up behind center will be looking at a menacing situation. I just think it's asking a lot for Michigan to cover a short spread against a very good team in a tough venue when you are traveling with a brand new scheme, with a new coach and a new QB, and very litle WR talent to speak of.

Friday: 4. Boise -12 v Washington: LOTS of motivation for Boise here as they face their old coach, and they always get jacked to face power 5 conference teams. Boise returns 32 sacks and 17 INTs from their team last year, an unheard of number and an indication that things could be very ugly for a new Huskie QB and zero returning starters on the offensive line. If Boise gets any kind of offensive performance, they should be in good shape because Washington is very unlikely to get anything going. A defensive score or 2 by Boise is also likely.

Hey brass. GL this year. Vandy out a WR and an ok OL ... gonna be tough to match scores.

Hey brass. GL this year. Vandy out a WR and an ok OL ... gonna be tough to match scores.

Best of luck to you too CC. Yeah, Duncan and Jelks aren't world beaters, but they're probably the best they had on offense other than maybe Ralph Webb. In my haste to get things posted, I didn't even mention that in the writeup. Thanks for mentioning. Gotta assume Vandy's depth is thin enough that injuries like those are going to have a big effect.

:bow::notworthy:

my man:shake:

best read on CTG in my estimation

GL this year brother

thoughts on Duke-Tulane?

Friday: 4. Boise -12 v Washington: LOTS of motivation for Boise here as they face their old coach, and they always get jacked to face power 5 conference teams. Boise returns 32 sacks and 17 INTs from their team last year, an unheard of number and an indication that things could be very ugly for a new Huskie QB and zero returning starters on the offensive line. If Boise gets any kind of offensive performance, they should be in good shape because Washington is very unlikely to get anything going. A defensive score or 2 by Boise is also likely.

JFC....I just can't stop betting this game..........GL this year BKnux....love your stuff

I have to disagree with the Utah game, Utah St up next and Utah doesn't seem to win with them on deck, Michigan returns 9 starters from a defense that ranked #10 I believe overall. Utah Upset Mich at "The House" last year even though they had less yards could be a pay back looking to get off on the right foot for the Man.

Michigan was a dismal -16 in the TO dept. I don't like betting a first year coach in it's first game but with Harbaugh I'll make an exception and believe the TO's will greatly improve. I also believe Utah has been out-yardaged in something like 60% of there games since joining the Pac 12 but I do agree the Michigan offesive leaves a lot to be desired so I'm looking for a low scoring game with Michigan's D keeping them in it till the end with a shot to win outright. I took a +6 and hope it falls 5

Best of luck on the rest :shake:

I agree they are great write-ups and I'll be looking forward to them every week.

The only game of your four I came close to betting was #4. I was tempted on that one, but that's too many points for me to risk with a new QB. I decided to pass on that one.

Good luck.

FWIW, I am on 'heels and Boise. Taking a pass on the others. Best of luck to you and keep the threads coming.

Paulie, I actually got 4.5 on Utah....would not have liked it much above that. I'm with you on what youre saying, and like I said, I doubt you'll see me opposite Michigan after this because I really like their defense and they'll keep getting better as the year goes along offensively.

I just have seen so many cases of where a Big Ten team goes out West and just has the world collpase on them. MSU last year is a great example....dominated long stretches of that game but still couldn't even cover a DD spread. Utah is going to pressure the hell out of Rudock and will be capable of causing major mistakes. For me, the combination of the strong motivation of going up against a high profile team, and the bad karma of traveling west with a brand new system has me on the Utes. I like Michigan overall this year, but right out of the gate I think they should be catching more points than they're getting.

:bow::notworthy:

my man:shake:

best read on CTG in my estimation

GL this year brother

thoughts on Duke-Tulane?

LOL Twink my man. You are too kind. :shake:

I'm so damn slow that I lost all value on Tulane. Staying away from that one because although I can see a bunch of reasons to go with the Green Wave, they have shit the bed for me too often for me to back them here, especially against Cutcliffe who has been money as a favorite (14-4 last 3 years.)

Brass wish you the BOL on the season, always enjoy and highly respect your threads.

Utah's offense will not be as conservative as last year. Now can they execute? That remains to be seen but with Dave Christensen gone this team will open it up much more. Rice-Eccles stadium isn't an easy place to play and 4,700 ft isn't Laramie, Wyoming but your lungs don't work quite as well come second half when you are used to 500 ft.

I just cracked my first beer, going to watch some pre game, current games and get ready.

GL brass

Paulie, I actually got 4.5 on Utah....would not have liked it much above that. I'm with you on what youre saying, and like I said, I doubt you'll see me opposite Michigan after this because I really like their defense and they'll keep getting better as the year goes along offensively.

I just have seen so many cases of where a Big Ten team goes out West and just has the world collpase on them. MSU last year is a great example....dominated long stretches of that game but still couldn't even cover a DD spread. Utah is going to pressure the hell out of Rudock and will be capable of causing major mistakes. For me, the combination of the strong motivation of going up against a high profile team, and the bad karma of traveling west with a brand new system has me on the Utes. I like Michigan overall this year, but right out of the gate I think they should be catching more points than they're getting.

Congrats on the win and you hit the nail on the head this QB needs to get better quick. All in all it was good game Hey you win some you lose some best of luck moving forward and looking towards your plays and write-ups.:shake:

Excellent analysis and results on the Utah game. The North Carolina game was difficult to stomach. Three Tarheel interceptions, two in the end zone, the other while deep in South Carolina territory defy reasonable explanation. I am not a Larry Fedora fan as I think he is out coached in almost every game they play. The unexplainable going for it on fourth down deep in his own territory is just an ongoing example of his coaching incompetence.

Excellent analysis and results on the Utah game. The North Carolina game was difficult to stomach. Three Tarheel interceptions, two in the end zone, the other while deep in South Carolina territory defy reasonable explanation. I am not a Larry Fedora fan as I think he is out coached in almost every game they play. The unexplainable going for it on fourth down deep in his own territory is just an ongoing example of his coaching incompetence.

Thanks Geezer..yeah UNC was a frustrating one. The INTs were bad, but there were probably 8 or 10 big plays sitting right there for Williams in the passing game, but he just missed them. It was undoubtedly the worst game of his career. If he was just average last night, UNC wins by 10.

One other thing I'll mention....kudos to the Big Ten for their schedule this week. How about this for an opening week slate of teams:

@Virginia Tech
Stanford
Alabama
@Utah
TCU
BYU

You can even throw in @ Marshall, @ Western Michigan (looks like a solid squad) and @Temple for a second tier.

The Big Ten is likely to get off to a slow start, and I'm sure we'll get to see the smart aleck amateur comedian sports columnists sarcastically point out that the Big Ten sucks, but that would be a mistake to assert IMO.

5. @Temple +7 v Penn State: I've been over this before, but I don't know why people think that Christian Hackenberg is just going to magically be good all of a sudden. The reason he was bad last year (assuming he was not on the take, which I am still convinced remains a major possibility...especially if you review the Indiana game tape) was because in addition to his own incompetence and whiny nature, his offensive line was atrocious. They couldn't run the ball worth a shit (121st in ypc) and they couldn't keep Hackenberg in one piece (122nd in sacks allowed). Somehow, despite those shitty numbers, they had a lineman get drafted in the second round of the NFL draft. If that guy (Donovan Smith) was such a stud, what does it say about the guys who are left? Their skill guys don't scare anyone either. Their opponent this week, Temple, returns everyone off of a pretty solid defensive unit, and should have the edge in just about every category against this Penn State offense. Now, that will certainly be the case as well when the field is flipped because Penn State's defense should be extremely good again. As a result, I'd imagine that we'll see a very low scoring game, and with that being the case, 7 points is a lot. Temple has also proven themselves to be very resourceful in these kinds of games...frankly it wouldn't surprise me at all if they won this outright if QB PJ Walker can recapture his form from a couple years ago.

6. Stanford -11 @Northwestern: Talk about a tough task in your first start. Cats redshirt freshman QB Clayton Thorsen makes his first career start for an offense that made making first downs look like molecular physics last year, and he has to do it against what will almost certainly again be one of the best defenses in the country. Northwestern will almost certainly try to run the ball with Justin Jackson, which is a good idea until you realize that they're facing what will be a top 5 rush defense this year. That will put pressure on Thorsen to deliver, and we all know where that story likely ends, especially since they'll be breaking in an almost entirely new receiving corps. On the other side of the ball, Northwestern had a pretty stingy defense themselves last year, but they now face an improving 3rd year starter in Kevin Hogan and one of the top OLs in the country. Even though they were stout last year, they provided no pressure, so Hogan will be able to sit back there and pick them apart, and he has 7 of his top 8 pass catchers back. I think this is going to be a long day for the Cats. Even if they play well, I can see a 28-10 type score, and if they don't.....could get ugly.

7. @Tulsa -6 v Florida Atlantic: I've hesitated on this one, but I've spent too much time capping it to not add it. FAU is a tough little team...although they brought up the rear in their side of CUSA last year they had a ton of heartbreaking losses. Having said that, I'm not sure how they hang in games because the numbers don't really bear it out, and there isn't a ton of impressive talent on this roster. Not so with Tulsa, who returns just about everyone on offense, including a senior QB and what might be the best pair or returning receivers in the country in Keevan Lucas (101 catches) and Keyarris Garrett. Most importantly, they add in new HC Philip Montgomery, who has been the OC for the past few years for that Baylor juggernaut. I think we are going to see a mjor turnaround for Tulsa, who in the past has been a very solid program and has the talent on board to make a big turnaround from last years 2-10 debacle. They'll also be looking for revenge because FAU put it on them last September in a 95 degree sweat box in Boca Raton.

8. BYU +7 (buying) @ Nebraska: BYU kind of settled into the abyss last year when their QB Taysom Hill broke his leg. Although they just lost starting RB Jamal Williams to some sort of mysterious suspension, their offense will get back on track because Hill is back, and at times he is impossible to defend because of his running ability. His passing skills have improved as well, and he has his favorite receiving target (Mitch Mathews) back as well. On the other hand, Nebraska loses what amounted to the vast majority of their offense last year as Ameer Abdullah has taken his act off to the NFL, and the replace their whole system under new coach Mike Riley. Their personnel is mostly for a running offense, and Riley runs more of a pro style passing offense, so it looks like there might be some growing pains in the short term. BYU returns a solid group on D especially along the line, so it will be tough for Nebraska to run anyway. I was not a big fan of this hire when it was made...I think Riley is a better fit in a low profile spot like Corvalis. The natives could start getting restless right away, as the Huskers will be testing their new systems on a team that has been entrenched under Bronco Mendenhall for awhile. knows what they're doing and expects to win. I'll take the TD.

9. @Arkansas -33 v UTEP: I mentioned this a lot last year, but for whatever reason, Arkansas's defense is an impenetrable force when they play at home. They are riding a wave of positive press and momentum from last year, so people are excited, and as we all know, covering big numbers matters to Bret Bielema. The matchup is a good one too, as UTEP is returning one of the most inexperienced teams in the country. Even if they were experienced, their offense wouldn't be able to move the ball, and will certainly struggle in Fayetteville as they are breaking in a new starter at QB. They are smallish up front and will be of little consequence defensively as the Hogs roll for about 9 yards per carry. This might be covered at halftime.

10. Georgia Southern +19 @ West Virginia: The Mountaineers lost a ton of production last year, especially at the wide receiver position. They return very few playmakers, as only Rushel Shell returns having scored more than 2 TDs last year. New QB Skyler Howard had some nice numbers in mop up last year, but he was throwing the ball all over the place in the bowl game last year and doesn't have Kevin White there anymore to prop him up. Georgia Southern is a nightmare to prepare for with their option offense and they bring back all of their playmakers from a good team last year. The spread is high because starting QB Kevin Ellison is suspended for this game but backup Favian Upshaw had a higher QB rating and ran for more than 9 yards per carry in 11 games last year, so the drop off might not be so bad. GSU lost to Ga Tech and Nc State by a combined 5 points last year in the non conference last year, so I definitely think they'll be able to hang with a rebuilding Mountaineer that has been terrible as a favorite (18-32 ATS the past 6 years.)

11. @Notre Dame -9.5 v Texas: This game is being given a level of hype that Texas probably doesn't deserve. Offensively, if Texas is able to muster much of a fight against Notre Dame's defense, I'll be extremely surprised. Walking turnover Tyrone Swoopes apparently is going to start, but Jerod Heard is likely to get time as well. They can't run the ball with any authority and are probably a couple years of recruiting classes away from getting to that point. They have very few playmakers in the skill positions, as the top 2 receivers from last year are gone. Defensively, they should be pretty good, but I really like this ND offense with Zaire and the receiving corps he has. Their offensive line is one of the best in the country and Taurean Folston is a tough, intelligent runner. Texas is 9-17 in recent years as a dog...I think ND handles them here.

I think that's going to be it for now. I might be forced to add VT if that thing climbs above 14. Mostly trying to stay away from that one though. Also liked NIU but it's almost to 24 now. If I trusted Will Gardner without DaVante Parker I'd like Louisville too, especially above 11, but alas, it was not to be.

Excellent analysis. You have brought me on board with no.s 8&10. With my card pretty full already, I'll pass on tothers.
GL this week and throughout the season.

I agree with two of your picks.

BYU is my number one pick this week. I expect them to win SU.

N Dame is my #2. I agree with your assessment of both teams. It is hard to believe with all the talent in that state, but Texas has no game breaker on the roster. I expect to see some improvement in Swoopes, but they still have no running game.

I look for Zaire to break out in this game and Folston to show the world he is a star. The ND defense, with Schmidt back, is the best Kelly has had and I expect them to bottle Texas up.

Great read. Do you worry about a team facing triple option having all offseason to prepare for it in week 1?

Excellent analysis. You have brought me on board with no.s 8&10. With my card pretty full already, I'll pass on tothers.
GL this week and throughout the season.

Sorry on #10 bull. I'll get to specifics later on but that might have been my worst call in years...

Back