Week #1 Plays Revised and Finalized

• Thread starter Thread starter SoonerBS
  • Start date Start date
S

SoonerBS

I've got my money in on most of my plays now so I'll post these for your comments and criticism. I'm still waiting on USC, Notre Dame, Utah and Navy. I'll probably be making plays on these games, too, but I want to watch the lines. Here's a few write-ups with these plays and other write-ups are scattered around the forum.

grins.gif
Alabama/Hawaii UNDER 53 -- Will Hawaii be able to cover against Alabama's notorious defense or will they be overcome by the atmosphere in Tuscaloosa? I got tired of guessing and laid money on Alabama's defense here. And, yes, they will have another good defense this season. Maybe not as good as last season, but this is a Senior and Junior dominated football team. I love to lay UNDERS on teams with good to great defenses as you will see. But, I don't have a lot of faith in Bama's offense right now, which plays towards the UNDER again.

BYU/Arizona UNDER 53 -- Guys, I have been reading newspaper and web reports on every team in Division IA football since April. The reports coming out of BYU's camp is that they are continuing to be impressed with the progress of the defense. They ought to be, even though it is listed that this group only has 4 returners, most of the ones returning were slated to be starters last season but were injured. This is a predominantly Junior squad which means there is some maturity and experience here. AND, we all know that Arizona not only brings back most of their starters on defense, but it's probably the best defense in the PAC 10 next to USC's!

grins.gif
Nevada/Fresno St UNDER 57.5 -- This game is being played at the home field of Fresno St which usually means lay your money on FSU and cash it at the bank. But, this game, this year, may be different. FSU has to replace nearly all their skill positions offensively, but they bring back 8 starters on the defensive side of the ball. Nevada will bring back most of their defensive players as well. Last year this game went way over the point total, but that was with different players at a different location. It's hard to NOT go against the 57.5 total with this year's rule changes that will nullify nearly 12-20 plays a game!

grins.gif
Oklahoma/UAB UNDER 43 -- The first game out for Oklahoma will probably be a conservative showing. They want to give Peterson a lot of touches. They want to establish some confidence in Paul Thompson, but they want him to show that he will not "hurt" them offensively. Meanwhile, UAB is without Hackney who graduated last season and they will be starting a new QB who has not played much if any. Brown has already admitted the fact that they will likely run a lot this year and rely on their running game. They will not run against Oklahoma's defense! One of the best, if not the best defenses in the nation this year! It's pretty simple to me - I don't see Oklahoma scoring 43 points this game. You understand what I'm saying.

frown.gif
Texas/North Texas UNDER 54 - This situation is similar to Oklahoma's opener. Texas has one of the best defenses in the nation. Even though North Texas is returning 9 starters on offense, I'm not sure they will score more than a FG. So, we have to ask ourselves the question, "Will Texas score more than 50 points this game? Last year I would have said, "yes." This year, even though they will likely be good offensively again, I say, "no." I think it's very likely that Brown will play two QBs this game. Depending on how much he plays them, it's hard to get in the groove and stay in the groove, whenever you're looking towards the sidelines wondering if you're coming out the next play or series. Also, NT may have just a good enough defense to make texas have to run some clock this game. Again, my thinking is that with the new rule changes, 54 is going to be a lot of points to score in a ball game that is being shortened.

Florida State/Miami UNDER 39.5 -- Do I even have to explain this one? This has been money for the last 3 years and the point total in this game has descended gradually since 2001. Two great defenses battling on Labor Day night!

frown.gif
Penn State/Akron UNDER 45 -- Penn State has a very good defense perennially. Akron is suppose to have their best defense in years. PSU is sporting a new QB. I don't look for a lot of points to be scored.

Houston -12.5 over Rice
frown.gif

This is year 4 for Briles offensive schemes and these are now mostly his recruits for his system. We all understand the fact that Houston, for the most part, has to settle for the "second and third best" in recruiting. But, still, they are in a conference that will allow them to win against mostly non-BCS teams. The College Football News reiterates Houston's successful outlook for this season: "The chance will never be better for Houston to win the Conference USA title and have a shot to grow into a bit of a power than this season with a whopping 17 returning starters, good depth on defense, a loaded receiving corps, and a quarterback with 36 starts under his belt."

In 2004 they went 3-8. In 2005 they went 6-6. This is the pattern teams follow that change to drastic passing offensive schemes. Except for their Bowl Game against a great defensive team in Kansas, their losses last season were all within a couple of TDs. It is usually the trend of teams with close losses to improve in their record the following year IF they bring back experienced players. We saw this happen with Vanderbilt over the 2004 to 2005 seasons. This season, if the pattern continues, and I think it will, they should make there way back to a post season bowl and my projection is they will go 8-4 on the season.

They bring back 7 offensive starters including their veteran Senior QB Kolb. Defensively they bring back 9.

Defensively, last season, Art Briles and his defensive coaching staff made the move to a 3-4 defense. The thought was that the Cougars had more linebacker types than dominant linemen, so the move was made. Well, it’s turned out well, especially with the four studs who’ll step on the field at the linebacker position, again, this year. Add to the backfield free safety Will Gulley who is back for U of H, and he solidifies an experienced secondary and defense. Gulley, before his injury, was a dual threat – stopping the run and playing the pass with equal aplomb. Before his injury he accumulated 176 career tackles and 8 interceptions in three years.

All we need to know about Rice is this -- they went 1-10 last season as an option team, and this season they have changed their entire coaching staff, and OC, Major Appelwhite, will be implementing an all new "passing scheme." He will do it with option QBs and players. It will not go over well this season. All you have to do to try and make a prediction for Rice this season is to look at the early years of Nebraska and Houston whenever they changed offensive schemes. In 3 to 4 years, Rice should show some improvement, especially whenever their recruits start playing that will better fit their system of play.

Briles and his Houston Cougars know that this is their year to shine. There will not be any reason or need to hold back in this first game. Here's their opportunity for bragging rights in the city of Houston and a way to send a message to the CUSA teams -- "we're contenders this season!" Early Betmill lines had this at -13.5 and it still loooked good then. BetChris and Pinny lines are giving us even more of a bargain at -11.5 (up a half point since line came out.) Again, just as all these plays, watch and listen carefully for key injuries coming out of fall camp. I'm not a big advocate for laying your money early. Just be patient.

I believe Houston wins this by 17-21 points!

Ball St. -4 vs. E. Michigan
grins.gif

I know what you are thinking here, "Are you seriously going to lay money on a team that went 4-7 last season??" The answer is, "Yes." I'll lay money on a 4-7 team, that returns 18 starters (10 on offense and 8 on defense), and finished last season strongly by winning 3 out of their final 4 games. This says to me that they were a young team that was steadily getting better through the year and should continue that trend into this season -- especially returning 18 starters!

This line, according to recent power rankings, is right where it needs to be. But, one of the keys here to Ball St., along with the experience coming back, is the fact that they will bring back their Veteran QB, Senior Joey Lynch. While, E. Michigan will have to start a new QB and it is projected to be Sophomore Tyler Jones. He is experienced though.

This play is made more on the momentum factor of a young team that experienced success toward's the end of last year's "tumultuous" season, and should carry it over here to this opener. There are trends on either side of this game if you are a trends player. But, the fact that is hard to ignore here is that this team has the capability to win almost every game they play in the MAC this year. After all, this was the same team that beat the two participants in the MAC championship game – Akron and Northern Illinois.

Other Games I have Combined Write-ups on with B.A.R. In this Forum:

Pittsburgh -3.5
grins.gif

Nebraska -20
grins.gif

Coattail Plays I Agree With:

Iowa State -6.5
frown.gif

Boston College -13.5
frown.gif

Northwestern -3.5
grins.gif

USC -8.5
grins.gif

Utah +3.5
frown.gif

Navy -11.5
frown.gif

Notre Dame/Georgia Tech UNDER 50
grins.gif

Mississippi -3

Good luck, guys, and feel free to leave comments (even you, Nick.)
smoke.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck Sooner. What book gave you Ball State -4? Thats amazing. I have been looking everywhere and don't feel like buying the damn hook.

MistaFlava said:
Good luck Sooner. What book gave you Ball State -4? Thats amazing. I have been looking everywhere and don't feel like buying the damn hook.

BetChris for -110

I also like Wisconsin and Marshall, but damn, if I'm not careful, I'll try and make a play on every game!! LOL
evillol.gif

If anyone wants an opinion on another game not listed, just leave it in here and I'll be glad to give you my thoughts on it.
beer.gif

BOL! I am against you on Boston College and Ball State

I love Utah State...wrote it up in my thread...thoughts?

YesSir said:
BOL! I am against you on Boston College and Ball State

I love Utah State...wrote it up in my thread...thoughts?

Two teams heading in different directions here in my opinion. Utah State were ATS darlings last year, but they also surprised some teams with their players. Wyoming is in a rebuilding year -- and having to do that off a 4 win team from last year! Utah State brings back some good players and I think they can give Wyoming a run for their money!

Again, another one I'd like to play, but I really don't want to get that much money involved in the first week. :cheers:

den......don't quite remember you playing this many up & downs.....
Anyhow....Best of luck to ya this season:cheers:

Looking forward to all your insights on the 12<vbg>:smiley_acbe:

Won loads tailing yo ass:bow:

FADEMENOW said:
den......don't quite remember you playing this many up & downs.....
Anyhow....Best of luck to ya this season:cheers:

Looking forward to all your insights on the 12<vbg>:smiley_acbe:

Won loads tailing yo ass:bow:

Thanks, Fade! I played several O/Us last year and did quite well with them. It was the sides I had the worse season with in 5 years. That will be different this season though.

UTSUX, :cheers:

MistaFlava, we have a link at the top of the page to BetChris. :cheers:

BetCRIS is the book you are referring, I believe, Denny...

Lots to like there, will be with you on Testicle Tech in the night opener, should be a decent crowd and there's actually a little buzz outta Muncie about these guys; Hoke's done a good job recruiting and bringing in his guys, I expect them to play hard and they really should win that by more than a touchdown over a weak Eastern team

CollegeKingRex said:
BetCRIS is the book you are referring, I believe, Denny...

Lots to like there, will be with you on Testicle Tech in the night opener, should be a decent crowd and there's actually a little buzz outta Muncie about these guys; Hoke's done a good job recruiting and bringing in his guys, I expect them to play hard and they really should win that by more than a touchdown over a weak Eastern team

Yes, you're correct. The link and banner is at the top of this forum.

Glad to hear you'll be on it, Rexy. I'm anxious to see your plays for week #1.
beer.gif

Just about done with team power ratings. Another day or two. Will be firing early next week when my credit shops down here open up and give me some numbers to fire at...

Looks great Denny...totals may be a goldmine pending these rules..

I'll have my NU up within next 12 hours or so.

Den..I love nebraska this year, except they have a few injuries to some starters that scare me. I think Zac Taylor is a darkhorse for the heisman. I don't generally mess with totals but I like your Oky/Uab one.

Nice to see you here, BullrunMtn. Good first post and hope to see more.

money;

:drinking: --Me right now watching Dodgeball.

a season's not a season, unless Rex bets on ball state...this is definitely a good omen...

Hunt, Nebraska has good depth and can afford a few injuries. I think they will try to score a lot of points in that opener.
beerchug.gif

Big Al, thank you, and get your ass to working on finishing out that write-up.
sgrin.gif

BullrunMtn, welcome to the forum and thanks for the thoughts.
beer.gif

pags, you are correct and this is evidence that we have the TRUE CollegeKingRex here at this site -- he bets on Ball St. and you can expect a bet on Florida State in the near future.
superbiggrin.gif

txtennisboy said:
houston is my biggest play on the board....rookie applewhite will have trouble....love the coogs

ttb,
welcome.gif
to the site!

Let's cash Houston!
beer.gif

soonerbs,

and he'll make a play soon on the "Grass Skirt ******s" of Hawaii (as he calls them) in a late night degenerate game...you know I'm givin' you shit Rex...much love brother...

hard to argue any of thoe under plays Den.. BOL to ya. let's hope that Miami/FSU game is not an "ugly" under 39.5 but a "good ball game" under 39.5

Canes need this one in a bad way. X's and O's can potentyillay be taken out of this game. 1st agmes are tricky. who is more prepared and who is still standing in the 4th quarter is what this game boils down to.

GL Denny - I am very interested in that Oklahoma under play. Looks to be a solid choice.

Timh said:
GL Denny - I am very interested in that Oklahoma under play. Looks to be a solid choice.

One of the strongest plays I have, Tim, even though I am going to bet the same amount on all of them.
beer.gif

For those of you that have a BetCRIS account, they have their TOTALS up now and there are a few of these lines that are better than what you can get at Pinny right now.

If you don't have a BetCris account, you can sign up through the banner in the thread at the top of the forum.
beerchug.gif

but damn, if I'm not careful, I'll try and make a play on every game!! LOL
evillol.gif

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, den.

I'm on Nebraska already but haven't begun a Saturday post yet. I even timed it wrong at -21. Ball and Houston will be on my card. Maybe tonight when betjamaica has -105.
I rarely play totals but you know me. I'm not bashful about the number of plays I make - bets limited to a conservative 1 % of bankroll . (I'll up that % when I am convinced I can hit 54 per cent wins or better). So I was gonna pass those big point games I hate to bet, but I have to listen to my Big XII expert , and add UT and OU to my portfolio. Looks like good way to go on Monday night also. Aside from one or two other favs, the rest of my plays will be dogs.

I hope the 1 unit system works out for you. And if I helped pushed you in that direction, I'm glad to have done something for you- just once.

Finally, thanks for steering me this way. I feel very comfortable here with this gang of gamblers. I was getting very UNcomfortable over there.

SoonerBS said:
BYU/Arizona UNDER 53 -- Guys, I have been reading newspaper and web reports on every team in Division IA football since April. The reports coming out of BYU's camp is that they are continuing to be impressed with the progress of the defense. They ought to be, even though it is listed that this group only has 4 returners, most of the ones returning were slated to be starters last season but were injured. This is a predominantly Junior squad which means there is some maturity and experience here. AND, we all know that Arizona not only brings back most of their starters on defense, but it's probably the best defense in the PAC 10 next to USC's!

I'm not so sure on this one. BYU has Welsh back and the recieving unit is suppose to be better this season with the addition of Jacobson and nearly everyone else returning. Arizona's defense was ranked #86 last year and the offense is capable of putting up 40+ here.

helmut, I think you mean Beck...he's a stud for sure...

bull, keep reminding me about betjamaica's -105 on Friday nights...it's 6 PM to 9 PM PST (9 to midnight EST) right?...

I updated my plays. I went ahead and bought USC at -8.5. And, I'm no longer considering a play on Notre Dame.
thumbs.gif

rjurewitz said:
Good call, Sooner. Glad to see you on the play.

Hoping for a DD USC win.:cheers:

RJ,
beerchug.gif

bull, I figured you be encouraging me towards more plays.

Helmut, I believe the Arizona defense is just going to be SICK this year! I know BYU will be pretty salty offensively, but I like Stoops' chances of working out a successful defensive scheme against them. Thanks for the input though, dude!
beerchug.gif

I cant wait to see the show USC puts on .. The tougher game will be against nebraska

I'm still looking to make plays on Navy and Utah before Saturday.

I wanted to update everyone on the Oklahoma/UAB UNDER: Everything I have been reading about the UAB team is emphasizing the run game. Oklahoma, too, will give the ball a lot to Adrian Peterson and allow him to make plays. I continue to see a lot of clock time eat up in this game and very little scoring from UAB. Even though I will play this with the same amount as my other bets, I feel that this play is the strongest of all my plays.
beerchug.gif

I kind of like oklahoma -21.. The thing about the running game is if they pick up first downs the clock will stop. I dont always think that has anything to do with the total. I have a feeling that Oklahoma beats these guys down.

Would think about hitting Utah +5. Looks like the action is coming on that side and the line may go to +4 or +3.5 before game time.

abcs--thelegend said:
I kind of like oklahoma -21.. The thing about the running game is if they pick up first downs the clock will stop. I dont always think that has anything to do with the total. I have a feeling that Oklahoma beats these guys down.

abc, the new rule changes this year has the clock starting again once the official places the ball. This will run a little more time off the clock than what it did in the previous years. Also, with the running game, teams don't make 1st downs every down and the clock doesn't stop like it does on incomplete passes. The last 3 years UAB and Oklahoma both were more into the "passing game" than running. Both teams pride themselves this year in their running games and their running defenses.

:cheers:

rjurewitz said:
Would think about hitting Utah +5. Looks like the action is coming on that side and the line may go to +4 or +3.5 before game time.

I will hit Utah no matter what the line because I see an opportunity here for Utah to upset UCLA. I'm waiting because BetCRIS doesn't have the line up yet and I have all my money in my Pinny account bet on games right now.
pup.gif

Great shit Denny.

I'm probably going to coattail most, if not all of the 'unders'. I'm also looking at UTAH as well.

pags11 said:
sorry for posting the swear word soonerbs...

LMAO! I didn't know you posted a swear word, pags! What did you post, the word Texas Longhorn?
evillol.gif

smh,
beer.gif

Fondy keeps bumping my old thread, so I thought I better bump the new and finalized version for this week.
grins.gif

Back