Week 1 CFB

UA coach sees little to cheer
Brookhart unimpressed after closed scrimmage
By Tom Gaffney
Beacon Journal sports writer

Published on Thursday, Aug 21, 2008

University of Akron coach J.D. Brookhart had a definite opinion what he liked best Wednesday about his team's second scrimmage of the preseason.

''That it's over,'' he said without a trace of humor.

The injury-riddled Zips held an 80-play, 70-minute scrimmage at the Stile Athletics Field House that was closed to the public and to the media. Brookhart might have felt it was closed to the UA players as well.
''Without looking at the tape, there wasn't much to like,'' Brookhart said. ''I am really disappointed right now. Our injury situation is killing us. I have no idea where we are at right now because of that.''

The Zips were without starting noseguard Ryan Bain, wide receiver candidate Deryn Bowser and several other key performers as the clock surges toward the opener Aug. 30 at the University of Wisconsin.
The good news is that starting defensive linemen Almondo Sewell and Eric Lively, who combined for 73 tackles in 2007, and tailback Dennis Kennedy, who has rushed for 1,201 yards in his first three seasons, have recovered from injuries and participated in the drills Wednesday.

The first half of the scrimmage was offense versus defense. Starting quarterback Chris Jacquemain completed 9-of-15 passes for 89 yards. Backup Matt Rodgers completed 8-of-13 for 49 yards.

The second half was dedicated to third-down situations, with both the first and second units converting 4-of-8 opportunities.

''It was sloppy; it was inconsistent,'' Brookhart said. ''We have guys in positions they have not played because of injuries. We are kind of piecing it together.''

Jacquemain, who started nine games last year, agreed there is work to be done and that a return to health would help.

''There were some good things today. There were some bad things,'' Jacquemain said. ''At times, we were sloppy and didn't execute. But our effort was there. We are banged up. All we can do is keep working hard and work to get ready for Wisconsin.''

Brookhart said his primary concern, besides the injuries, is the work of the secondary, which will feature new starters at every position.
''Right now, we are playing a lot of inexperienced guys back there,'' he said. ''That is showing a little bit.''
Brookhart said the young cornerback who has caught his attention is freshman Manley Waller of Decatur, Ga., who recorded 112 tackles in his junior and senior seasons at Southwest Dekalb High School.
Waller has speed passed on by his mother, Gwen Torrence, who won a gold medal in the 1992 Olympic Games in the 200 meters and two relay gold medals in the 1992 and 1996 Olympics.

''He has a great spirit out there,'' Brookhart said. ''He is a tremendous competitor, and he has very good speed.''

Brookhart said few individuals stood out in the scrimmage. When asked whether he could name any or many, he paused for a full 10 seconds, then said, ''I don't know.''
The Zips will continue preseason camp with practices today and Friday. Preparation for Wisconsin will begin Sunday, and classes start Monday.
After a road game Sept. 6 at Syracuse, the Zips play their first home game at 1 p.m. Sept. 13 against Ball State.

<HR color=#cccccc SIZE=1>

I have a few friends within the Akron program...they have all said that the Fall has been terrible. A trainer told be that of the 105 or so players on the team, 60 need help every practice...He also said that a lot of the key players have been sitting out do to injuries. From what I understand they are key injuries, not just the normal bs ones...

Golden Flashes could pull off upset in opener
By Patrick McManamon
Beacon Journal sports columnist

Published on Thursday, Aug 28, 2008

<!--endclickprintinclude-->One man's pressure is another's opportunity.
There's always pressure to win in college football. For Kent State and coach Doug Martin, the season opener provides something bigger: an opportunity.

The Golden Flashes have been mentioned as a Mid-American Conference sleeper this season, which is something coming off a 3-9 season derailed by injuries. Kent State returns its starting quarterback and leading rusher from a year ago.
The opener?

Saturday night in Cleveland, against Boston College, which will be playing without Matt Ryan, who now is a millionaire quarterback in the NFL.
Make no mistake, this will not be easy for Kent State. Boston College plays in a larger conference and won 11 games a year ago. It would be an upset if KSU were to win, but not a gigantic upset. The Golden Flashes are mere 10-point underdogs.

In a major versus mid-major meeting, a 10-point line is nearly a push.
Too, Martin took his team on the road early last season and beat Iowa State. He had Kent State at 3-2 (including another road win, at Ohio) before injuries depleted the roster.

If KSU leads or the game is close into the second half Saturday night, anything can happen.

Martin brings back 14 starters, including quarterback Julian Edelman. By year's end last season, injuries had forced Martin to use four quarterbacks.

Too, the Flashes return running back Eugene Jarvis. No returning running back in the country gained more than his 1,669 yards, and his 1,975 total yards were an eye-opening number and the reason he is on the Maxwell Award watch list.

The Flashes also return linebacker Derek Burrell, who was named to the preseason watch list for the Butkus Trophy.

Finally, KSU has a bright 45-year-old coach.
Martin has talked of knocking on the door of respectability, of changing the culture in Kent State football. There's no better place to start than with a friend.

Martin, Boston College coach Jeff Jagodzinski and Boston College offensive coordinator Steve Logan worked together at East Carolina, making Saturday's game a little challenging from the personal side.

At the same time, it will help a bit. Boston College and Kent State run the same offense.

''Exactly like ours, because it's the same offense Steve and I were running at East Carolina,'' Martin said. ''The terminology's the same; everything's the same. It's an advantage for us in that our defense is getting to work against a lot of plays passing game-wise that Boston College will be using.''

For KSU, every advantage — perceived or real — is a good thing, no matter how small.

Martin starts this season feeling better about his team than any other. Dix Stadium is being renovated, and his team's experience has enabled Martin to get more done in fall practice.

Boston College will start a quarterback who threw for 28 yards last season, and the Eagles lost their top running backs.
Sometimes in college football a team struggles early when it has to replace skill players.
Sometimes.

''Our emphasis is really to go into this game and not beat ourselves,'' Martin said.

Why would a school like KSU play Boston College?
Sometimes it's for the money.

Western Michigan opens its season in Nebraska for $800,000. Akron opens this weekend at Wisconsin.

But KSU is not guaranteed a large payoff for the Patriot Bowl, merely a typical gate for a home game. So they're playing because of the exposure and because of the opportunity.

A year ago, Akron beat Army in the first Patriot Bowl. Earlier that afternoon, Michigan lost at home to Appalachian State.

Games like that happen every year. Somewhere this season, someone is going to pull off a huge upset. It's never easy, and if things don't go well it easily could get ugly, too.

But some team in some state is going to pull off that upset.
As the Golden Flashes look forward, they can fairly ask: Why not us?

I have a few friends within the Akron program...they have all said that the Fall has been terrible. A trainer told be that of the 105 or so players on the team, 60 need help every practice...He also said that a lot of the key players have been sitting out do to injuries. From what I understand they are key injuries, not just the normal bs ones...
Plus they are horrible.

Interesting news on Akron. I like Wisky from the beginning as I really don't think Akron scores. I'll likely be on Wisky when the reduced juice hits 5Dimes

Just sent this out:
"Hey is Devoe playing against Wisky?.....Still on defense?...How has he looked?"

This is his response via Text:

"Sorry I took so long. He's doing ok. I think he's a victim of the whole high school to college learning curve. Struggled at points in camp because he's always relied so much on athletic ability and in college guys have the same amount of speed that he does. Once he started hitting the right holes and stuff he did better. But overall he's learning and doing better playing running back. Im not sure that he's even traveling to Wisconsin though. I didnt get to see the list. At best he would be 4th on the depth chart at running back. We have 3 guys ahead of him who are really talented and expereinced guys. Since he came in late, he does not have either. We'll see how he develops.

I said, "Wow, I thought he would be playing defense..."

He said, "Yeah. I thought defense would be a better fit too. Surprised me when they put him on offense. I thought he might have played defense this year"

I think he woulda been a great LB too..

He wants to play RB though...that's why he didn't play defense for Massillion after he moved up there his senior year and why he made tOSU promise they wouldn't recruit any other RB's in last years class.

Just talked to him agains:

He said: Devoe did make the trip to Wisconsin. I think he's second team on some special teams stuff but I still dont expect him to play. Just a little FYI...

ME:Dang! Do you think they are going to redshirt him?

HIm: I think so. We already have 3 backs who are going to split time. Unless he plays ST he will red shirt I think. That could change in time though.

ME: Right...Bryan Williams starting RB?...His dad told me over the summer he might play defense?

Him: He is playing SS and is a beast. Thats one athletic dude. Changes directions better that anyone I have ever seen and is at full speed again in about 2 steps... RBs will be dennis Kennedy, Alex Allen, and a transfer from Miami, FL named Andrew Johnson. All 3 are good and could be premier backs at about any MAC school

ME: Yeah I heard that dude from Miami is a beast. I have seen Kennedy and he is pretty good....is the oline healthy? How have they looked?

HIM: Line has 4 of 5 starters returning and are healthy. Its hard to tell how they will be until tomorrow though because our DL was hurt all of camp.

ME: Thats good....is the defense healthy now? How will they be? They were pretty solid last year right?

HIM: Yeah. Last year they were good. Kept us in a lot of games. DL is very thin right now with injuries. 2 starters are out of the game. LBS are decent. Secondary is "young".

ME: Ouch that good be bad news against PJ Hill...thanks for the info.

ADDED:
Wisky -26.5

Western Michigan +14.5

Hawaii +34.5

USC -19.5

ECU +8.5

Va Tech OVER 45

PITT UNDER 53.5

also added another unit on to Kent State

Back