Week 0 What Are We Learning

Several replay reviews in the 1H of ND-Navy and Mercer-NAla. Games are too long they say, this is big part of the reason. They can review almost everything now whenever they want whether a coach challenges or not

For a pregame show or what was it?
We no longer get NBC Sports as a channel here, I'm sure that's true for a lot of people in the country. What they used to show on NBC Sports now gets shown on USA. But now we get Premier League soccer (which I actually care more about than CFB) and NASCAR shifting to USA...when they cross up, it's a mess. But local NBC still shows what they should. Problem today is that local NBC shows NFL preseason Cards games, so while the rest of you were watching Notre Dame, our local channel was showing a preseason game. Tried to spitball the fix, only way I could see the ND game live in the first half was to have a Peacock subscription.

Irony is that what I really wanted to see from NBC Sports was the track/field world championships, no way it's getting airtime from any of the above. That's when I realized the only way to actually watch the ND game was to have a subscription to Peacock.

That said, I knew it was coming. Many of my Premier League matches will be Peacock only this season as will quite a few Big Ten games. Just kinda hit me on the fly that no one with Cox could watch the CFB game today without a Peacock subscription. And that's a fkn Notre Dame game! I'm curious as to how the many sports bars in transplant locations like this are going to handle streaming. They have to address it and you know it won't be cheap. Most are equipped with Directv which is borderline pointless now. The good ones had to double up and put Cox in on top of Directv due to Pac 12 Network just to televise ASU and UA games, not cheap. Many chose to just stick to Dtv for the Ticket and lose the local college business but now it's going to be chaotic with games streaming.

Streaming is definitely going to be a challenge for bars.

I forgot about the USA thing, maybe they put a pregame show on there. I thought it was weird they didn’t have a 30 minute lead-in, but now that you say this it was probably just somewhere else.

I get what you’re saying for the other sports. I liked NBC Sports Network. But it’s gone now we have to chase content everywhere, or forget to care to do so.

Live betting unders has been a good strategy all day, except for some of the ND 1H one’s. Navy misses a FG with under 2min then yields chunks and a D PI hands ND TD with :13

Live betting unders has been a good strategy all day, except for some of the ND 1H one’s. Navy misses a FG with under 2min then yields chunks and a D PI hands ND TD with :13
I actually put a small bet in on u44.5 in the 4th then Navy kicks that FG to crush that

Kinda bet that thinking that wouldn't be a thing

I actually put a small bet in on u44.5 in the 4th then Navy kicks that FG to crush that

Kinda bet that thinking that wouldn't be a thing
Probably shouldn’t have. But somebody might think psychologically 3 vs being shutout means something in some way

Common sense isn’t a given when it comes to some coaches.

Re:
Navy’s play call on 1st and 10 from the 4 there at the end

UTEP’s final 2 play calls of the game

NMSU…never mind

Navy, UTEP and NMSU…you just made the list!

1693136880952.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, same ole D as last year.

Hence, why they are not a playoff contender with that schedule.
Riley is in deep shit when Caleb leaves.

Yesterday was actually a losable game but SC always has enough elite talent at the skill positions to ultimately overwhelm the majority of their opponents.

Branch is the real deal.

But you really can't lay these huge SC spreads with that defense.

Yesterday was actually a losable game but SC always has enough elite talent at the skill positions to ultimately overwhelm the majority of their opponents.

Branch is the real deal.

Went 0 2 to start season with NMS -6.5 and UTEP O53. Didn't play ND and SJS tt O16.5 unfortunately.

UTEP play calling was awful. Coaching looks real bad.

Umass definitely improved. NMS looked very slow to me everywhere. Both defenses ran out of gas in 4q. Now i know why early money was on umass. Early was smart after all.

As Duck pointed out SJS has back a lot of their offense. USC first 6 games are a joke. But if they gave 28 up to SJS they're going to get lit up by the great QBs in the pac this year, especially last 6 games. Be interesting to see totals and tt going forward

Hawaii hung in. If Tree is as bad as expected like the +10 i have. Could be ml upset too

Fun to be back but losing sucks, especially when not really close. Clear wrong side losers

Branch is the real deal.

Riley will forever own the transfer portal as far as QB goes

Think 2026 is their next big get as far as recruiting one but I can't keep up with that, they will never struggle though

New clock rules after week 0

7 game sample with average of 63.3 plays per game and average duration of 3 hours and 24 minutes

Last season (896 games), average of 68.7 plays per game and average duration of 3 hours and 27 minutes
so the rule change was all for the sake of more ad money. less plays, more ads...the fans get fucked once again. very shocking for the sport!

Good luck finding the next Caleb Williams in the portal.

He'll need to part ways with Grinch at some point.
Caleb is a generational talent

Can't compare the next guy to him

Be funny if Rattler ends up there next season

Caleb is a generational talent

Can't compare the next guy to him
Yes that's the point. Caleb is so good that he's covering up some serious flaws with that team. Malachi Nelson was a big time recruit so I'm guessing that's the direction they'll be going in next year.

Yes that's the point. Caleb is so good that he's covering up some serious flaws with that team. Malachi Nelson was a big time recruit so I'm guessing that's the direction they'll be going in next year.
They're no better than Oklahoma was. It's pretty clear what their identity is. Scoring a lot of points in the Big Ten on a weekly basis will probably win a lot of games.

Wisky and Nebraska will likely put up 40+ on them consistently
Athlon's anonymous coaches:

USC

“It’s a strange case where this is the most talented team in the league for sure, but I don’t know a lot of coaches who would pick these guys over Utah after playing a full season. So there’s still that stigma that they’re the sports car that can break down on you."

"They will be lightning on offense; adding [offensive assistant] Kliff [Kingsbury] to the QB room is having another head coach."

"On defense, they’re still really susceptible, and you can push them around."

"I think they kept [Alex] Grinch because he’s a great culture guy and a big motivator, and he can recruit. But they haven’t added enough to where the perception has changed."

"You can run on their front seven; you can beat them up."

"They’re a step behind Utah and maybe Washington as far as a complete team. Offensively, though? They might be the best team in the country.”

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ
FIU can't complete a forward pass and LA Tech is almost as bad! That Boise transfer I thought was always pretty bad and that team blows. Is SMU decent? They should name the score.

Offensively, though? They might be the best team in the country.”
Had SC slipped into that 4 seed last year and played UGA in the semi's we'd be looking at their offense much differently today.

I don't want to take away from Caleb as a player because I think he's legit (unlike their previously overhyped qb stiffs) but they're playing a JV schedule where they can out-athlete almost everyone on offense.

Had SC slipped into that 4 seed last year and played UGA in the semi's we'd be looking at their offense much differently today.

I don't want to take away from Caleb as a player because I think he's legit (unlike their previously overhyped qb stiffs) but they're playing a JV schedule where they can out-athlete almost everyone on offense.
Pretty funny considering they're one of maybe 5 teams in FBS that don't play an FBS patsy every year. Or a MAC team.

Back