Wednesday 2/27 ST Baseball

EstreetPicks

Pretty much a regular
<TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=625 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#363636><TD width=215 colSpan=2>1:05 pm </TD><TD width=130>Pitchers</TD><TD width=80 colSpan=2>RunLine </TD><TD width=80 colSpan=2>Total </TD><TD width=80>MoneyLn </TD><TD width=40> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=625 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#000000><TD align=middle width=55>901</TD><TD width=160>Cincinnati Reds </TD><TD width=130></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000> </TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=80 bgColor=#000000> +105</TD><TD width=40> </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#000000><TD align=middle width=55>902 </TD><TD width=160>Philadelphia Phillies </TD><TD width=130></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=80 bgColor=#000000> -125</TD><TD width=40> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=625 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#363636><TD width=215 colSpan=2>1:05 pm </TD><TD width=130>Pitchers</TD><TD width=80 colSpan=2>RunLine </TD><TD width=80 colSpan=2>Total </TD><TD width=80>MoneyLn </TD><TD width=40> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=625 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#000000><TD align=middle width=55>903</TD><TD width=160>New York Mets </TD><TD width=130></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000> </TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=80 bgColor=#000000> +100</TD><TD width=40> </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#000000><TD align=middle width=55>904 </TD><TD width=160>Detroit Tigers </TD><TD width=130></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=80 bgColor=#000000> -120</TD><TD width=40> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=625 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#363636><TD width=215 colSpan=2>3:05 pm </TD><TD width=130>Pitchers</TD><TD width=80 colSpan=2>RunLine </TD><TD width=80 colSpan=2>Total </TD><TD width=80>MoneyLn </TD><TD width=40> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=625 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#000000><TD align=middle width=55>905</TD><TD width=160>Kansas City Royals </TD><TD width=130></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000> </TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=80 bgColor=#000000> +105</TD><TD width=40> </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#000000><TD align=middle width=55>906 </TD><TD width=160>Texas Rangers </TD><TD width=130></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=80 bgColor=#000000> -125</TD><TD width=40> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=625 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#363636><TD width=215 colSpan=2>3:05 pm </TD><TD width=130>Pitchers</TD><TD width=80 colSpan=2>RunLine </TD><TD width=80 colSpan=2>Total </TD><TD width=80>MoneyLn </TD><TD width=40> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=625 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#000000><TD align=middle width=55>907</TD><TD width=160>Colorado Rockies </TD><TD width=130></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000> </TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=80 bgColor=#000000> +100</TD><TD width=40> </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#000000><TD align=middle width=55>908 </TD><TD width=160>Chicago White Sox </TD><TD width=130></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=80 bgColor=#000000> -120</TD><TD width=40> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=625 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#363636><TD width=215 colSpan=2>7:05 pm </TD><TD width=130>Pitchers</TD><TD width=80 colSpan=2>RunLine </TD><TD width=80 colSpan=2>Total </TD><TD width=80>MoneyLn </TD><TD width=40> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 width=625 border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=#000000><TD align=middle width=55>909</TD><TD width=160>Washington Nationals </TD><TD width=130></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000> </TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=80 bgColor=#000000> +100</TD><TD width=40> </TD></TR><TR bgColor=#000000><TD align=middle width=55>910 </TD><TD width=160>Florida Marlins </TD><TD width=130></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=40 bgColor=#000000></TD><TD width=80 bgColor=#000000> -120</TD><TD width=40> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

estreet...do you do a lot of your research for the games you bet the day of and if so what primary basis do you make the majority of your bets on? Thanks in advance.

A lot of it is situational and travel; Day games after night, who played winter ball/who didn't, distance traveled, farm systems, etc.

Most of the research is done during the first 2 weeks after pitchers and catchers. Day of the games is the pain in the ass work of trying to find out who is playing and the like.

The Tigers open the Grapefruit League schedule on Wednesday when they host the Mets at Joker Marchant Stadium at 1:05 p.m. ET. Jeremy Bonderman will make the start, followed by Jason Grilli, Zach Miner, Yorman Bazardo, Denny Bautista and Tim Byrdak. Mike Pelfrey, Matt Wise, Pedro Feliciano, Jorge Sosa, Brian Stokes and Willie Collazo are scheduled to pitch for New York.

I know we had our differences last month, but GL.

I didn't notice any significant match ups for tomorrows games.

Only lean I have is Fish over Nats. Olsen over Chico. However, the Fish were sending a full squad to Miami to face the Hurricanes today, so I dont know what they'd put out there tomm, even though its the first game.

OPENER: Left-hander Jeremy Affeldt said he'll enjoy starting the spring opener Wednesday against the Phillies in Clearwater.
"It'll be fun," he said. "I'll go out there and compete."
The Reds are trying to get Affeldt back to starting after mostly relieving the last two years. The key to that is regaining his third pitch, the changeup.
"It's coming along," he said. "It's not there yet. I found a grip that I think will work. It's a work in progress."

I know we had our differences last month, but GL.

I didn't notice any significant match ups for tomorrows games.

Only lean I have is Fish over Nats. Olsen over Chico. However, the Fish were sending a full squad to Miami to face the Hurricanes today, so I dont know what they'd put out there tomm, even though its the first game.

No Problem. Haven't gotten to the Florida game yet. let you know what I find.

u playin both the grapefruit and cactus this year??? dont know why i want to think in years past you might of only played florida

So Brandon McCarthy has been scratched from the start for the Rangers tomorrow with some elbow soreness. AJ Murray starting in his place. Don't know how to analyze and bet spring training but just throwin that info out there. Looks like the Rangers are favored so I dunno what that means in terms of this.

Baker has tabbed Jeremy Affeldt, one of the lefties competing for a spot in the Cincinnati rotation, to start against Philadelphia's veteran left-hander Jamie Moyer. Baker has scheduled right-handers Jon Adkins, Jim Brower, Jared Burton, Gary Majewski, Marcus McBeth, Brad Salmon, Tom Shearn and Todd Coffey, in addition to lefties Jon Coutlangus and Adam Pettyjohn, to be available to pitch.

u playin both the grapefruit and cactus this year??? dont know why i want to think in years past you might of only played florida

I dip my toes into the cactus league once in a while but it really doesn't suit my capping. Sharing stadiums and cities and all this type of nonsense.
I do like the Mariners this Spring and Texas has had a pretty optimistic camp. i think both should come out with winning records.

So Brandon McCarthy has been scratched from the start for the Rangers tomorrow with some elbow soreness. AJ Murray starting in his place. Don't know how to analyze and bet spring training but just throwin that info out there. Looks like the Rangers are favored so I dunno what that means in terms of this.

There are some camps that believe you bet the dogs week 1 and 2 and the favs weeks 3 and 4. I have never followed along but I don't disregard it either.

from reNew Orleans in the other thread:

<TABLE class=tborder id=post758807 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_758807 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d1d1e1 1px solid">Matt Chico is starting for the Nats tomorrow, Nick Johnson will also makes his return

VIERA, Fla. -- The Nationals have announced that left-hander Matt Chico will start the exhibition opener against the Marlins on Wednesday night at Roger Dean Stadium. Chico acknowledged that he has a lot to prove starting that day.

The Nationals would like to see Chico cut down on his walks. In 2007, Chico walked 74 batters in 167 innings. The southpaw does not sport a blazing fastball, so having great command of his pitches is the key to success.
"I had 74 walks, which isn't good. That is something I'm really going to focus on this spring. Hopefully, it will be better," he said.

Chico was the only member of the Nationals not to miss a turn in the rotation because of injuries. He went 7-9 with a 4.63 ERA.
"He is very competitive," said pitching coach Randy St. Claire. "He went to the mound every time we asked him to. He is a healthy guy. He will pitch innings for you. He will keep you in the ballgame. I just think if he cuts those walks down, he will find that his ERA will go down.

On Aug. 17, the Nationals sent Chico to Triple-A Columbus to work on his mechanics. It appeared to have worked, because after he returned to the Major Leagues on Sept.1, Chico went 2-2 with 3.38 ERA in six starts. During that period, Chico walked 2.3 batters per nine innings.
"You hate it, but it was one the best things for me," Chico said about his demotion to Columbus. "I was able to focus on things."

Look who's at first: Manager Manny Acta said that he expects first baseman Nick Johnson to start playing in exhibition games starting on Wednesday. It will mark Johnson's first game since Sept. 23, 2006, when he broke his leg against the Mets at Shea Stadium. Johnson has yet to slide into a base this spring.

"It will be good to get out there and let it go," Johnson said. "Believe me, if I hit a ball in the gap and have to get to second, I'm getting down, baby. If it hurts, so be it. I'm not stopping."
<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #d1d1e1 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d1d1e1 1px solid">
user_online.gif
</TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d1d1e1 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #d1d1e1 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #d1d1e1 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d1d1e1 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Phillies exhibition against Florida State was rained out tonight which sucks. I was leaning towards Cinci as Philly was to play their opening day lineup which typically means an adjustment in the day game. On top of that i like the reds most springs and dislike the Phillies in Spring. Interesting to see who they play, most likely the starters for Philly tomorrow for at least one at bat. Maybe the line will go up and provide some Reds value.

Dunn, Griffey to miss opener: Ken Griffey Jr. and Dunn didn't play Tuesday and won't be in the lineup in the Grapefruit League opener against Philadelphia in Clearwater on Wednesday. "They'll play Friday and Saturday," Baker said. "[I've] put them on a two day on, one day off thing so I can give them a couple of extra days to work out [and] train some more."

Other stuff from the morning: Nick Johnson will travel (as I said) tomorrow to Jupiter (the town, not the planet) and start in the exhibition game. He'll go three innings in the field, as Manny Acta feels it's more important for him to build stamina there. Hopefully he'll get a couple of at-bats. When I arrived yesterday, I thought Nick had lost even more weight over the month since I had been out to Sacramento to see him. He said he hadn't, that he's at about 235. But I think he's slimmer than he has been at any point in his Nationals career.

Here's the Nationals' traveling squad for tomorrow in Jupiter against the Marlins. We have some info on who is scheduled to make the trip, something that's not generally for most of the regular players. There are, however, several regulars who will travel.
Infielders:
Bergolla
Casto
Guzman
Harris
Johnson
Lopez
Orr
Rogers
Whitesell
Outfielders:
Dubois
Dukes
Escobar
Langerhans
Maxwell
Milledge
Pena
Padilla
The pitchers, in order, for tomorrow night:
Chico
Mock
Bell
Hanrahan
Sanches
Schroder (as a backup)

The Rangers will start left-hander A.J. Murray. Brandon McCarthy was supposed to start for the Rangers but he was scratched with a sore right elbow. Murray will be followed by right-hander Luis Mendoza.
Gerald Laird is expected to be behind the plate for the first game, which is likely due to his seniority than anything. It's likely that he and Jarrod Saltalamacchia will share the catching duties until the Rangers decide who will be the starter when the season begins.
The Rangers are expected to use their regular lineup including Ben Broussard at first, Ian Kinsler at second, Michael Young at shortstop, Hank Blalock at third base, Josh Hamilton in center and Marlon Byrd in either left or right field. The Royals are starting left-hander John Bale, so it's not known who will be the third outfielder or the designated hitter instead of Frank Catalanotto.
Milton Bradley, the Rangers regular right fielder, is still recovering from knee surgery and is still a few weeks away from playing in an exhibition game. The Rangers were 16-11 in Spring Training games in 2007.

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- Luke Hochevar gets his first Spring Training shot at making the Royals' pitching staff on Wednesday against the Texas Rangers.

He's scheduled to follow starter John Bale to the mound and pitch two innings in the Cactus League opener.
"I'm fired up, I'm excited," Hochevar said. "All the BP's [batting practices] and throwing on the side, you get good work, but I'm chomping at the bit ready to face somebody from a different team and somebody with a different uniform on."
Hochever arrived in Arizona on Feb. 4 and has been working for three weeks with the Royals' staff.
"I've been feeling really good, and the things I've been working on have been extremely helpful in getting a good downward plane and keeping the ball down in the zone and attacking the strike zone a lot better," he said.
The No. 1 overall draft choice in 2006, Hochevar is in the running for a starting job but he's got an uphill battle against some veteran pitchers.
"His performance, because he has had no Major League experience, would have to be above and beyond anyone else's who has already had the experience of being able to do that," manager Trey Hillman said.
The Royals would consider him for a bullpen spot if he's not a starter.
Hochevar, like several other players, has been battling flu-like symptoms.
"I just broke it last night; I broke my fever and sweated it out. I had a 103 temperature last night and sweat for about four hours in bed so I think I got it out," he said. "I woke up about 5:30 this morning and felt great, so I think I kind of flushed it. I'll get some fluids in me, get some rest and get ready for tomorrow."

SURPRISE, Ariz. | Billy Butler will play first base and Alex Gordon will bat fifth, not seventh, when the Royals open their Cactus League schedule Wednesday afternoon against the Texas Rangers at Surprise Stadium. The Royals posted their lineup before Tuesday’s workout. It included no real surprises, although second baseman Mark Grudzielanek and outfielder Jose Guillen aren’t scheduled to play – and probably won’t play before March 8.
“They’re veteran guys,” manager Trey Hillman said, “and their bodies know how to get ready. I want them fresh for the start of the season.”
Butler gets the nod at first base over Ryan Shealy and Ross Gload. Butler’s ability to play first is one of the key questions facing the Royals as they work through spring training.
“We need to find out some things,” Hillman said. “I’d love to win these ballgames from a standpoint of getting that winning feeling going into the season. But ultimately, the primary objective is answering questions and getting guys ready to play the season.”
Hillman has often cited Gordon as a potential No. 7 hitter but chose to have him bat fifth in the spring opener.
The lineup: CF David DeJesus, 2B Esteban German, LF Mark Teahen, DH Shealy, 3B Gordon, 1B Butler, RF Shane Costa, C John Buck and SS Tony Peña.
Lefty John Bale is scheduled to start and pitch two innings. Plans also call for Luke Hochevar and Brian Lawrence to pitch two innings apiece before Ron Mahay, Yasuhiko Yabuta and Carlos Rosa each work one inning.
The Rangers switched starters Tuesday by scratching right-hander Brandon McCarthy because of a sore elbow. Lefty A.J. Murray will start instead.
Hillman’s lineup card also listed likely substitutes for each starter: Mitch Maier in center, Alberto Callaspo at second, Justin Huber in left, Jason Smith at third, Mike Stodolka at first, Damon Hollins in left, Miguel Olivo at catcher and Angel Berroa at short.
Hochevar impressive
Catcher John Buck points to Luke Hochevar when asked to pick the most impressive pitcher in camp to date.
“I knew he had good stuff,” Buck said. “That’s obvious. That’s why he’s a top prospect. But to see his stuff (this spring), to catch it and also hit off of it, the sharpness of his pitches – I don’t remember them being that sharp last year.
“He’s getting a lot of reactions from hitters, like double looks. That tells you he’s got some sharp stuff right now.”
Hochevar is scheduled to pitch two innings Wednesday against the Rangers in the spring opener at Surprise Stadium.

LAKELAND, Fla. -- One inning, four runs.
One inning, and already Magglio Ordonez had his first hit of the spring. Miguel Cabrera already had his first how-far-did-it-go home run.
One inning was all manager Jim Leyland allowed his Detroit Tigers regulars in Tuesday's exhibition opener against Florida Southern College. One inning was enough.
Enough for the Tigers to score four runs, and enough to start fans dreaming about what this group will do when they get nine innings instead of one.

the article i read didnt say anything about who is playing 2maro just posted that to let yall know what leyland did wit the regulars today... another article said sheffield probably misses first few games to deal with boras bullshit

Rise and shine

On the move early this morning. One of the strange things about spring training, at least in Florida, is the ridiculous amount of driving. Because the Mets have a 1p.m. game at Joker Marchant Stadium in Lakeland, many players will be in the clubhouse here at 7 a.m. and the team bus will leave Tradition Field at 7:45. Complicating matters is the troubling forecast for this afternoon. Not only will it be unseasonably cold -- temperatures are plunging into the 50s later today -- there is rain expected, so I'm not sure how that will affect the Mets' trip.
If there is a game, Mike Pelfrey will start, with Matt Wise, Pedro Feliciano, Jorge Sosa, Brian Stokes and Willie Collazo in the bullpen. Jeremy Bonderman goes for the Tigers with most of the Tiger's regulars getting some time

Spring training opener, regular season weather

I'm not going to complain about the weather conditions when people are freezing in Detroit. But for informational purposes, this is pretty chilly for spring training: 48 degrees and windy at this point, on the way to a high in the upper 50s. Of course, if it's this warm on March 31 at Comerica Park, I don't think many people will complain.
Here's the lineup for today:
  1. Granderson, CF
  2. Polanco, 2B
  3. Timo Perez, DH
  4. Ordonez, RF
  5. Cabrera, 3B
  6. Guillen, 1B
  7. Renteria, SS
  8. Rodriguez, C
  9. Jones, LF

Live from Clearwater

I'm coming to you from beautiful Bright House Field, spring home of the Phillies. This place is the jewel of the Grapefruit League. The Reds had visions of a place like this when they started to push to rebuild Ed Smith. That's not going to happen -- at least here in Florida.

Bright House has luxury boxes, the outfield berm, a tiki bar in left, spacious offices. And a $60 million price tag. The stadium in Goodyear is similar.

By the way, it's bone-chilling 56 degrees here with whipping winds.

Here's the lineup for today's tilt:

Ryan Freel CF
Norris Hopper LF
Brandon Phillips 2B
Edwin Encarnacion 3B
Joey Votto 1B
Jay Bruce RF
Jeff Keppinger SS
Paul Bako C
Andy Green DH

Jeremy Affeldt P

That top six might be very close to what you'd have next year if Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn leave via free agency.

Print it out and pencil it in
It's 9:31 a.m., and its chilly in Clearwater. The wind is blowing hard from left field to right field. Could be a low-scoring one today. The Phillies take on the Reds less than 24 hours after their scheduled exhibition against Florida State was rained out.
Jamie Moyer will start the game, followed by Travis Blackley, Carlos Carrasco, Clay Condrey and Ryan Madson. I'm real interested to see Blackley, Carrasco and Madson pitch. Blackley is a rule-5 guy the Phils picked up from San Francisco in the offseason. He's a lefty, and he's supposedly in the thick of the competition for the No. 5 spot in the rotation. Carrasco is one of the team's top pitching prospects, and Madson will be making his first appearance since July of last year
Below is the line-up the Phils will use for the game:
  • 1. Jimmy Rollins, SS
  • 2. Shane Victorino, CF
  • 3. Chase Utley, 2B
  • 4. Ryan Howard, 1B
  • 5. Pat Burrell, LF
  • 6. Geoff Jenkins, RF
  • 7. Pedro Feliz, 3B
  • 8. Wes Helms, DH
  • 9. Carlos Ruiz, C
  • SP. Jamie Moyer, LHP

from Mets blog:

The Mets won’t be taking batting practice before their Grapefruit League opener here in Lakeland. The reason? Too cold.

The Mets won’t be taking batting practice before their Grapefruit League opener here in Lakeland.

... even more reason to like the Tigers. Plus, if that really is the reason, then you have to wonder about motivation in the Mets locker room.

Mets
Angel Pagan, cf
Brady Clark, lf
Marlon Anderson, dh
Ryan Church, rf
Ramon Castro, c
Ruben Gotay, 2b
Michel Abreu, 1b
Anderson Macahdo, 3b
Anderson Hernandez, ss

Mike Pelfrey, p

White Sox
Bourgeois, CF
Cabrera, SS
Thome, DH
PK, 1B
Dye, RF
AJ, C
Fields, 3B
Uribe, 2B
Anderson, LF
Danks, LHP
Danks will be followed by Harrell, Wassermann, Sisco, Jenks, Logan, Day and Ohka.
The Rockies are countering with Franics, Towers, Redman, Koronka, Speier and Strop

Back