WC Plays

Toronto_Mike

Scent of a Woman
Brasil vs Croatia - Under 2.5 @ 1.89 (2u) and Croatia +1.5 @ 2.01 (1u)
In recent memory, only Germany has had a very successful opening match and well they played against a rather inferior opponent in Costa Rica. Other than that we've seen some fairly even matched, upsets eg Senegal but also plenty of cautious approaches. This is one of those games where a host city has a ton of pressure to perform and they are up against a team that is not inferior by no means. Just because this is played in Brasil doesn't mean there is a huge advantage as Croatia like pretty much most of their Adriatic Sea neighbours rely on a strong midfield mix of creativity and possession.
Brasilians on the other hand play better against attacking teams as their skill work on passing causes chaos in open fields. I think most will be expecting fireworks from Brasil and rightfully so however, as much as this Brasil team can score they are also trying to ensure they just get the 3 points and move on.
You can expect to see a lot of "keep away" situations between these two teams. Raktic and Modric have had solid campaign's this year and they are very familiar with the quality of players Brasil has.
Pressure is going to be huge on Brasil not to just win this game but to win the whole thing. I really don't think teams that have a ton of pressure end up doing too well in tournaments, the media will be on them and heck the fans too. However, this line shows that there is no respect for the Croatians who have time and time again done very well in the international stage since 1998.
I expect the real Brasil to show up against Cameroon where there will be more flare.
I'm basing my bet on the Croatians being a bit more united and patient with ball possession. The Brasilians are also quite notorious for taking their time and building up a play thus it's very similar to teams using up an entire shot clock for possession.
Prediction: Brasil 1-0 Croatia

Spain vs Netherlands - Spain ML @ 1.94 (10u)
Japan vs Ivory Coast - Japan ML @ 3.03 (1u) Japan 0 @ 2.08 (3u) o2.5 @ 2.04 (5u)
Colombia vs Ivory Coast - Colombia ML @ 2.11 (3u)
England vs Italy - England 0 @ 2.02 (3u)
Switzerland vs Ecuador - Switzerland ML @ 2.6 (2u)
Ecuador vs Honduras - Ecuador ML @ 1.86 (3u)
Belgium vs Algeria - Belgium -1 @ 1.98 (3u)
Russia vs Korea Republic - Russia ML @ 2.33 (5u)
Russia vs South Korea - Russia -0.5 @ 2.22 (3u)

Germany vs Portugal - Germany -0.5 @ 2.14 (3u)
Croatia vs Cameroon - Croatia -0.5 @ 1.84 (5u)
Nigeria vs Bosnia - o2.5 @ 1.88 (5u)

Will add thoughts and plays as the days go buy. GL to you all.

Last edited:
adding:
Russia vs South Korea - Russia -0.5 @ 2.22 (3u)
Germany vs Portugal - Germany -0.5 @ 2.14 (3u)
Croatia vs Cameroon - Croatia -0.5 @ 1.84 (5u)
Nigeria vs Bosnia - o2.5 @ 1.88 (5u)

Last edited:
thanks Schrute.

A lot of line shifts and I"m glad I took them early.

adding some more:

England vs Uruguay - England -0.25 @ 1.92 (5u) & ML @ 2.24 (2u)
Spain vs Chile - Both teams to score @ 1.74 (10u) & o3.5 @ 2.74 (2u) o4.5 @ 4.00 (1u)
Colombia vs Ivory Coast - Colombia ML @ 2.14 (3u)
France vs Switzerland - u2.5 @ 1.87 (3u)

Last edited:
Spain vs Chile - Both teams to score @ 1.74 (10u) & o3.5 @ 2.74 (2u) o4.5 @ 4.00 (1u)

Going to talk about this one as i've gotten quite a bit here.
Spain coming off a humiliating loss need to rebound in a big way, priority first is getting 3 points or they will be knocked out. Chile are coming off a 3-1 win and that 2 goal GD is huge considering Spain will want to try and blow out Australia in their last game.
Styles of play this can be a very possession type game, both will try to dictate the pace but both are also very capable of picking up the pace. Chile might be the type of team that Spain want to play again as any team that attacks Spain.
Before the game vs The Netherlands, the last team that played with an attacking flare vs Spain was.....Chile and that ended up 2-2. Pretty much any team that has a very lethal attacking threat that plays Spain will score but they most likely will get scored upon. Attack against Spain and you will most likely open up leaving lots of gaps that benefit short quick passing.
Now Chile on the other hand know what is at stake here. They actually have the opportunity to knock the World Champs out. They have speed and they have creativity which can pose quite a threat on the wings, both teams will be familiar with a lot of the players as there is some La Liga connections.
There will be a chance this stays under and a clean sheet, Spain may take a much more conservative approach and hold the ball as long as they can, Chile on the other hand could take an early lead and hold...but lets think about this if Chile takes a lead you will not shut out Spain. Spain have been shut out only twice in the last 2 years.

I believe we will at least see 1-1 but i took a bit of fun on the goals because this might be the highest scoring group in the WC.
Prediction: Spain 3-2 Chile

Back