Washington Capitals

scdoggy

Moderator (Honorary)
Hey fellas, although I'm a hockey fan - I don't do a lot of wagering in the NHL. I enjoy the break in the action from Football to bases, but will try and throw some relevant info in here to help out the crew when I can. I'm a lifelong Washington Caps fan, and watch 95% of their games. And right now, this team is a mess.

They've got an unproven coach with no previous NHL head coaching experience replacing Dale Hunter who brough DC residents something they hadn't seen since his playing days - a style of hockey that wins in the spring. Now the Caps are learning their third system in the last 16 months and from what I'm hearing from the players - it is nothing like Hunter or Boudreau's. So far through two games, they look completely lost and everything that gave Caps fans optimism last May seems like a distant memory.

Some specifics:

1. They have gone to a 1-3-1 approach on the power play. Problem is, they don't have the physical guy to go in front of the net to create havoc and so far the guys in the "3" in this setup are playing too close to the net. This Caps team is among the least physcial in the league. Which brings me to problem number two.
3. The Caps defense blows dick. I don't know how else to put this, but they are NOT physical, and there aren't many on this D that evern understand the role of a defenseman. Let's go through them one by one:

Roman Hamrlik - at one time this guy was a great defenseman. But he is so painfully slow, that teams just skate around him like he doesn't exist. Which is fine if he is the weak link on your defense who is paired with a speedy stud. The problem is, he is the only one of them who even knows how to play defense.
Mike Green - Or as I prefer to call him Kat Von D. To see what I'm talking about just watch a Caps game. He has grown his locks out to resemble Kat, and seems more concerned with riding mopeds and getting tattoos than he does playing hockey. Yeah... I wish I was joking. If there is a softer player in the NHL, I haven't ever seen him (or her). The guy is a major liability on defense and anyone who watches hockey has known this ever since he came into the league. Make him a wing if he's such a good scorer. This team needs Defense.
Alzner and Carlson - There are people in this league that think these two are hidden gems. Perhaps they just need the right coach (and no way its Oates). But at the end of the day, I lumped these two together because they are basically the same guy. They are paired together constantly, and we in Washington have been hearing the same thing now for 5 years with Alzner, and 4 years with Carlson. "They are so talented, but so young". Well Alzner is playing his fifth season, and Carlson his fourth. Time is running out on these two. Alzner was directly responsible for two of WPG's goals last night.
Tom Poti - The Capitals reacquired Tom Poti this year. Why? Who the fuck knows. He must be related to someone in the org. He played 21 games for the Caps in 2010-2011 and they cut him and he didn't play anywhere for anyone last year. Why? He sucks.
Jeff Schultz - The Caps signed this clown to a 4 year $11 mil contract in 2010. Has to be one of the worst contracts ever written. In case you haven't seen this guy, think Big Bird on skates - only softer. No physical presence, slow as piss, and can't score. Worthless.
Dmitri Orlov - the one bright spot in this cloud of shit. And he's hurt.
The rest - John Erskine - physical, but never plays, and some dude named Hillen who got hurt in the first game and looked like shit.
3. The caps still have two unproven young goaltenders in Nuevirth and Holtby. While both have looked servicable and even strong at times, they are both very young and very much untested. Without a strong defensive system in front of them, they are fucked.
4. Leadership - Who is the leader of this team? Ovechkin is the captain. Look I love watching Ovie play. So he's not meeting expectations, fine. He's still not the problem with this team. But he is also not a leader. They need some veteran leadership on this team. Two years ago the Caps signed Jason Arnott at the deadline, and he fit in GREAT here. Contributed on the ice, but more importantly he provided the leadership in the locker room that these guys desperately need. Someone who had been there and done that. They didn't resign him and instead signed Joel Ward with the money they saved on Arnott. Are you fucking kidding me??? Joel fucking Ward is more valuable than Jason Arnott? I rest my case....
5. Lack of physical presence. The Caps aren't just missing it on Defense. Number 8 can't be your scorer and your tough guy. Hendricks is the only guy who can routinely drop the gloves on this team. They need a couple of guys who can rock the boards.

While this team may show signs of life on offense from time to time this season, they are a mess defensively and there is no end in sight. As Ovie gets another year older, and more frustrated, Backstrom deals with life after concussions and the rest of the team lags behind - I see no reason to beleive the Caps won't be a great bet against (especially as faves) this season. This week they play B2B games at home vs. Mon, and then on the road at NJ. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I can tell you the Caps have been owned by the Devils in their building in recent times.

I will be shocked if the Caps are able to finish ahead of anyone in the division other than Winnipeg, and after watching last night even that is in question.

Hope this helps a few of you guys. Good luck this season.

1-5 this year so far -4.86 units

Capitals showing some signs of life in their last three games but still have a long way to go before they should be seeing anyone's money. The grinder lines have played ok so far, and Neuvirth has been very good, especially when you consider they are playing zero defense in front of him.

Brooks Laich supposed to skate with the team tomorrow in TOR. Getting him back should help their PK tremendously.

9. Some of their opponents do feel Washington is one club badly hurt by the lack of exhibition games. It will take time to adjust from Dale Hunter's system to Adam Oates's. McPhee said that when the Devils made changes last season (with Oates on staff), "It took 16-20 games before they were doing it right."

10. Couple notes about Alexander Ovechkin: McPhee said the experiment of moving him to right wing is not dead. When the Capitals played in New Jersey last week, Ilya Kovalchuk -- who went through a similar process last season -- told Oates that while he hated it at the beginning, he eventually grew to like it.

Time will tell Teed. I realize it should take time for any team to adjust to a new system, so some of this is expected. But looking at this team, I think their problems run much deeper than adjusting to a new system. I don't see a very good group of personnel coupled with a new coach, and a superstar who is losing interest by the minute.

Last two games Ovechkin's linemates have been Joey Crabb and Jeff Beagle. Most of you will have to do a google search to even know who these two are.

McPhee needs to go. Been here since 97, and the team has been steadily declining with the exception of a few perfect storm years where the Caps overachieved

Thought they had most of the pieces in place last season and had bought into the system but just didn't have enough in the end. Agree they need to shake it up - they aren't going anywhere with this roster.

Last two games Ovechkin's linemates have been Joey Crabb and Jeff Beagle. Most of you will have to do a google search to even know who these two are.

hahah joey crabb..that's awesome

He was on a local radio show in DC the other day and the hosts were telling him to get his agent working on an Old Bay sponsorship.

When you see the drunk dude on ESPN in a few weeks tossing a crab onto the ice, you'll know its me.

Motherfuck an octopus....

Fellow Caps fan. Any chance we get a win tonight? I've struggled to watch the games with how bad they've looked.

But, played well in 4 out of last 6 periods!

Yeah Dollaz I agree, they played pretty well in the first two periods of the last two games, and just blew it in the third. Nuevy's goaltending still has been well above average allowing them to stay in these games. Philly has been bit with the injury bug, and is in a funk themselves. Would be nice to see the Caps get some wins over some old rivals over the weekend. I'd worry about the Caps tonight after last night's gamein TOR which had a decent pace to it, and is sure to leave a team that is already having conditioning issues rather flat tonight. Philly comes in on two days rest and I'm guessing we'll probably see Holtby in net tonight which also doesn't bode well for Caps backers.

I certainly wouldn't bet money on Washington tonight.

Hopefully the Flyers will bring back the broad street bullies and break Carlson and Alzner's legs. We need new defensemen

Flyers, Caps, and Wings are all shells of their former selves, and it's because of paltry play on the blue line and in net. They all need to make major investments in the offseason, they'll be inconsequential this year.

Updated through first ten games:

ATS 2-8 -7.38 units

4 of next five on the road with roadies vs. PIT, TB, and NYR + a home/home with two days rest between games with the Panthers.

McPhee may not last the month of Feb.....

Seeing some improvement in the Caps. Won 4 of 6 with two 1 goal losses to Devils and Rangers. Ovie is looking more comfortable on the right side.

I think its just a matter of time that they start rolling. If they can get Oats system done, of course.

They have looked ok lately Dollaz. The game they lost recently to NJ was a complete raping by the officials. They handed the Devils the game on some bullshit calls and no calls in the third.

Still not convinced they will make the playoffs. Ovie starting to get more on track and Ribiero has been good, but not many other bright spots on the offense. Backstrom especially looks lost on the ice. Not sure if he is suffering from lingering concussion effects preventing him to get more involved, but he isn't moving without the puck. The O is still too dependent on #8 to get everything done. That doesn't work in this league.

I will say, their defense has looked much better than earlier this season. I've even seen defensemen clearing traffic from the front of the crease, which was unheard of about a month ago. I still despise Green and Carlson, but it is what it is.

Hopefully Oates system takes hold, Laich comes back soon and they find a way to play hockey in May.

Back