Wake @ Ole Miss Wk 4.. Breakdown & Play

Grind_4_Mine

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Life without Chris Barclay was going just fine for the Deacons. Unfortunately, an onslaught of injuries has Wake looking for new leaders on offense and has vastly overshadowed their 3-0 start. Starting Tailback Micah Andrews is most likely done for the year with a torn ACL. Andrews led the team in rushing, receiving and all purpose yards through the first three games. Also, offensive left tackle Arby Jones is expected to miss 2-6 weeks after going down with a torn MCL this past week. Mind you, these tough breaks come after losing starting QB Ben Mauk for the season with a broken right arm and dislocated right shoulder after week one. Ouch.

The now-starter at QB, Skinner, put up 235 and a score @ Duke.. he then followed with a 7-16, 110 yard performance against a stout Uconn defense.

*** Defensively, Wake is holding teams to 275 y/g... 182 pass/93 rush;
Ole Miss on the other hand: 408 y/g... 256 pass/152 rush

*** Wake held Cuse, Duke and Uconn to 10, 10, and 13 points respectively (30,27,37 combined totals that included a defensive TD @ UConn)

Rebels tailback BenJarvus Green-Ellis continues to impress, averaging 94 p/g on the ground for an inconsistent offense. Ex Volunteer and starting QB Brent Schaeffer is 33/71 for 377 yds, 3-4 td-int... 33-117 1td rushing through his first three. Seems to me Ole Miss is still trying to discover an identity offensively. That's always tough to accomplish when you let go of a great offensive coordinator, who's now calling the plays at Tennessee. In game one, the Rebels gained 243 yards on the ground versus Memphis on 45 rushes and only attempted 16 passes. The next game at Mizzou, they tallied 98 yds on 28 rushes and went to the air 29 times, only to net 90 yards. Their last game at UK proved to be their most balanced, rushing 39 times for 220, which allowed Schaeffer to throw for 190 (more than doubled his best output for the season).

I expect this one to be a cat & mouse/ball possession game. Ole Miss needs put the load on the shoulders of Green-Ellis and play smash-mouth football (Wake style) in order to grind out a win. If they can get him 30 carries, they should come out victorious. I expect the defense to make a few adjustments and step up at home against a depleted Wake offense. It really can't get much worse for a team giving up 30 p/g.

Play: UNDER 41 -105 (1u)

gl to all :18_1_38:

Very nice write-up and insight here, Grind, thanks for posting your thoughts on this game!
beer.gif

grind "hawk"...great to see you posting again (outside mlb)!!!!

heard eric was back at it too (hittin his last 3 including jax ml!)

heres to a great season! heres to cbb when my hawks show up your cats!

yeah boy!

just wanted to pass along that I've read that RB Micah Andrews is out with a torn ACL...oops, already been noted...now no QB and no RB...and Ole Miss is alright at home...no play for me...

Thanks UTSUX, Sooner... King -- It's gonna be a helluva game (UK/KU)

Pags -- agreed, probably a good idea passing on the side

shit...i didnt even know they played this year!!! can you remind me of the score from last season? it slips my mind at the moment!!:36_11_6::36_7_2:

King -- fuck.. for some reason i thought we had a shot at you guys in Maui... but it's UCLA I was thinkin' bout. But, we go into Chapel Hill Dec. 2 and have a shot at Roy and the troops. Prolly gonna to be a lot like the 73-46 drumming we received from that one team in January.

Kmacc -- Thanks brotha... and congrats on that huge win Saturday. I don't even have to ask how you made out over the weekend. Meeeechigan ML!!!

I've been thinknig all week it would be a teen type game, yet I hadn't looked at the totals yet. I'll also ride this one with you more than likely.

Back