Wake Forest vs Notre Dame Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Notre Dame Will Be Unwilling and Unable to Cover at Wake Forest.

Wake Forest hosts Notre Dame on Saturday at noon ET. After three weeks, Notre Dame’s strategy for winning has been consistent no matter the opponent. Their strategy is just one factor pointing to a Wake cover.

No. 8 Notre Dame (3-0) at Wake Forest (2-1)

NCAAF Pick: Wake Forest +7.5

At first I thought it was Michigan’s great defense awakening, then I thought it was the let-down factor against mega underdog Ball State, now I realize that there are many reasons for Notre Dame’s inability to maintain a multi-score lead.

The Vanderbilt game was revealing because Vandy was Notre Dame’s first „normal“ game. It wasn't a primetime season opener and wasn’t an automatic win, but it still proceeded similarly. Notre Dame started out strong. The offense found success from the pre-scripted plays and the defense was fresh. In all three games, Notre Dame opened up a double-digit lead in the first half. Then, the second half. Against Michigan, the Irish were outscored 7-0 in the final quarter. Then, Ball State outscored Notre Dame 10-0 in the fourth quarter to cut the deficit to eight. Lastly, Vanderbilt outscored Notre Dame 14-6 in the second half and nearly won. When Notre Dame accrues a multi-score lead, it becomes super conservative on offense. The play-calling becomes unimaginative and quarterback Brandon Wimbush gets confined to the pocket, where he’s ineffective, but avoids wear and tear from scrambling. Consequently, the Irish stop moving the chains, the scoring stalls, and the defense wears down. Notre Dame’s defense endured 97 snaps against Ball State and was evidently gassed, struggling to hang on against Vanderbilt. Both the offense and defense do just enough to win.

Wimbush is still the same quarterback: a 50% passer who can run. His mechanics and footwork need improvement, he makes poor decisions—often by throwing deep into double coverage— and doesn’t go through his progressions well, often locking onto the first receiver. Wimbush, whose placement is erratic, was lucky not to have two passes picked by Vandy. His coaching staff seems to be losing faith in him, flirting with backup quarterback Ian Book by installing him in goal line packages (but only in goal line packages), and by calling screens or quarterback draws on third and 10. But also, he lacks playmakers who catch 50/50 balls and get open against man coverage—Chase Claypool and Miles Boykin, who is arguably his favorite target, were virtually absent against Vanderbilt. Also, the pass blocking is inconsistent.

I really like his running backs— Tony Jones is healthy and lost some weight and he averaged 6.9 YPC against Vanderbilt and Jafari Armstrong is a change-of-pace threat. But they’re not Josh Adams, the superstar who could go the distance on every down and the offensive line is missing two first-rounders and a coach. New right guard (moved from right tackle) Tommy Kraemer, for instance, can’t execute the pulls that last year’s right guard, Alex Bars, did regularly. It is hard to sustain, let alone finish, drives with just a good committee of running backs and a subpar pass attack. The thing is, the tendency to start strong and finish weak was already apparent last season. Two of Notre Dame’s three losses last season came in November and both were blowouts. Notre Dame was 0-4 ATS in November. In two of those non-covers, they lost the second half decisively. The difference was that Adams averaged only 3.7 YPC in November. While he had been putting up Heisman-like numbers, Notre Dame could blow out opponents. Without his dominance, Notre Dame lacked the same killer instinct that they miss now. Coach Brian Kelly realizes that Notre Dame’s offense won’t win him games. It ranks 87th in yards per play. So, he has the offense risk as little as possible and, instead, trusts the defense to ensure victory. All three games ended with the defense, not the offense, stifling the opponent’s last hope. The defense ranks 21st in yards per play.

No matter the opponent, Notre Dame has scored 22 or 24 points. We need 17 points from Wake and I think Wake can produce more. Ball State wore Notre Dame’s defense down with 97 snaps and outscored the Irish 10-0 in the fourth quarter. Wake Forest’s offense possesses the same key ingredient as Ball State: tempo. Wake Forest ranks first in plays per game with 102. Wake’s offensive line returns all five starters from last season. Three were all-ACC. Experienced backups and versatile teammates make up for the left tackle’s injury. Running back Cade Carney evidently took huge strides from last season, averaging 6.4 YPC last week against Boston College. His backup, Matt Colburn, averaged 5.1 and gashed the Irish for 120 yards on six YPC last season, showing that he’s a hard runner who excels at accelerating through holes and breaking away downfield. Greg Dortch is a unique playmaker on special teams and at wide receiver. He was All-ACC as a freshman last season. The offense is designed to get him in space and his explosiveness allows him to lead the NCAA in all-purpose yards. Quarterback Sam Hartman matches up well against Notre Dame’s defense because he likes to dink-and-dunk. The Irish allowed at least 60% completion to both Power Five quarterbacks faced. It also doesn’t generate much pressure, ranking 88th in sack percentage. Hartman will have time to find Dortch in space and also rely on his running game to sustain long drives.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Verdict

Notre Dame’s offense has two quarterbacks, each of whom comprises only half of Coach Kelly’s ideal quarterback—Book can stand tall, find the open receiver, and deliver an accurate ball to a big body and Wimbush can scramble when nobody is open. Notre Dame wants to ride its rushing attack but is facing downgrades at running back and run protection. Because Notre Dame wants to do as little as possible to win and trust its defense to hang on for victory, it’s playing close games no matter the opponent. With Stanford on deck, it’ll face an up-tempo and dynamic offense in Wake Forest that can wear down the Irish defense and ultimately move the ball at will.

Yea he is and I was a bit surprised as well in a sense. He should be more reliable that‘d be discounting the potential rust. It‘s just not his team anymore

Wake will pretty much go as far as their run game takes them. A little worried about Hartman’s ability to get Dortch the ball. Their d is bad, but they should sell out agsinst the run and make Winbush beat them from the pocket, which minus the 1h against Michigan he’s struggled to do

Wake will pretty much go as far as their run game takes them. A little worried about Hartman’s ability to get Dortch the ball. Their d is bad, but they should sell out agsinst the run and make Winbush beat them from the pocket, which minus the 1h against Michigan he’s struggled to do

Not even the 1H. Two deep bombs perfectly thrown and caught in the first eight mins of the game lol

Would certainly be nice for Hartman to avoid the mistakes that he‘s made. After all he‘s still just a frosh. ND tends to soften its coverage with a nice lead anyways

A consideration that I haven't posted btw is: preparation. On the one hand, Wake Forest out of routine with practice due to Hurricane. But also, extra time to prepare due to Thursday game. And then there's Notre Dame playing super conservative with a lead no matter the opponent lol plus Stanford on deck lol. I tried tweeting Wake Forest Football for an answer but obviously got no response lol

A consideration that I haven't posted btw is: preparation. On the one hand, Wake Forest out of routine with practice due to Hurricane. But also, extra time to prepare due to Thursday game. And then there's Notre Dame playing super conservative with a lead no matter the opponent lol plus Stanford on deck lol. I tried tweeting Wake Forest Football for an answer but obviously got no response lol

Hahahahaha you and twitter bro. This game is def teaser material.

It’s been a while but have you heard that new Swizz Beats w Lil Wayne and Alisha Keys on piano. Fire bro.

Not sure I completely get why the over is being pounded so heavily. Up to 58 already. With the Irish O being as bad as it is and the D hanging on for victory, this seems strange to me. Unless Wake makes life interesting by dictating game flow from the beginning

Good stuff again, mr cavs.i jumped ship last week and played Vandy. I’m back on board with you on Wake.:shake:

Heh you have a better record on ND games than I do :D glad you won last week, let‘s repeat that this week amigo BOL :)

I was surprised how much success WF had on a presumed good BC D. Over 500yards including 200+ rushing. So maybe the assumption is they can duplicate that on a presumed good ND D? Best O ND has seen? And not putting a whole lot of faith in WF D either. So maybe that is the angle of over players?

That is possible. Perhaps the thinking is that Hartman is just plug-and-play and the WF O operates just as good with him. I don't think alot of people would see it that way with the potential for Fr mistakes in reads and decisions compared to Wolford, but maybe the over bettors see it that way and the yardage and points output vs BC validates their thinking?

Pretty cool game though. I like that WF has faced a tough BC D last week so Hartman got live action vs a pretty good team. Just really hard to trust WF D. I do agree with you that the ND O is a totally different animal this year. But let's just say they don't play conservative and protect a lead in this game and just have a semi-aggressive gameplan for 4 quarters...that could lead to a comfy ND win. I would rather find reasons to take WF though myself.

Towson had over 400y and was SOD 3x in WF territory week 2. Towson scored 3 first half TDs vs WF...Towson does appear to be a pretty good team. Just saying counting on WF D is hard I think. But they will be fired up. Schools like WF get up when ND comes to their house.

WF also adjusting to life without Bates and a few others. Bates‘ injury decimated them last season so in that sense it‘s reasonable to think they give up 30-40 points. But one could flip that perspective and say Notre Dame only scored 24 against a Ball State defense that was bottom-ranked last year, a MAC squad that gave up 38 to mediocre Indiana

That is possible. Perhaps the thinking is that Hartman is just plug-and-play and the WF O operates just as good with him. I don't think alot of people would see it that way with the potential for Fr mistakes in reads and decisions compared to Wolford, but maybe the over bettors see it that way and the yardage and points output vs BC validates their thinking?

Pretty cool game though. I like that WF has faced a tough BC D last week so Hartman got live action vs a pretty good team. Just really hard to trust WF D. I do agree with you that the ND O is a totally different animal this year. But let's just say they don't play conservative and protect a lead in this game and just have a semi-aggressive gameplan for 4 quarters...that could lead to a comfy ND win. I would rather find reasons to take WF though myself.

Didn‘t two touchdowns come from special teams tho?

I‘d go nuts if the Irish did that. I thought last week would be the week that they bounce back after an extremely lackluster effort vs Ball State and put a full dominating game together. Why the hell would they do it if not last week then with Stanford on deck?

Continuing trouble scoring touchdowns in the red zone don‘t help ND. Based on last year‘s numbers Vandy not known for being the best at red zone D

I don't know why coaches or players do what they do in terms of play calling and making plays. While patterns exist and carry over, every game is different in it's own way. Just because something didn't happen last week doesn't mean it can't or won't this week.

All I know is I feel better backing Vandy D compared to WF D. Vandy D getting some stops, that I bet on. WF D doing so? I'm not as sure.

Yes WF was set up early for 2 scores due to BC ST mistakes. However, WF also kicked some very short FGs, so one or two plays different and their O gets 7 instead of 3 on one or two occasions.

ND first three games were at home. Each time they came out with more intensity and dictated game flow and controlled the game which helped keep the total low. I wonder if they match Wake‘s enthusiasm and if they don‘t whether that leads to trouble. ND has shown creativity ability to score early with scripted plays and when the game becomes close again, so it‘d stand to reason that the offense invests much more effort if Wake starts out in front

I don't know why coaches or players do what they do in terms of play calling and making plays. While patterns exist and carry over, every game is different in it's own way. Just because something didn't happen last week doesn't mean it can't or won't this week.

All I know is I feel better backing Vandy D compared to WF D. Vandy D getting some stops, that I bet on. WF D doing so? I'm not as sure.

Yes WF was set up early for 2 scores due to BC ST mistakes. However, WF also kicked some very short FGs, so one or two plays different and their O gets 7 instead of 3 on one or two occasions.

Last year Georgia, Stanford, Wake all second half collapses. Seems to be a prolonged tendency with ND when they don‘t have a superstar at rb

Yes, the loss of Adams is more and more apparent each week how much they miss him. How they adapt and adjust their team without that kind of player will continue to evolve.

They could do as you say, try and play with a lead and let the D win the day. Or they may open it up at times, which may be dictated by situation or opponents strength or weaknesses. If WF plays them a certain way and leaves themselves vulnerable one way or the other I see ND with talent to make plays. Would think that ND has more opportunity through the air for big plays vs this D. Can Wimbush do it effectively? Will the coaches trust him to do it?

You think way deeper on what might happen in a game then I do, so I'm just not sure. I wanted to offer some opinion on WF D not being so great and WF O exceeding expectations. What that will mean for this game isn't for me to say because I don't have an opinion really.

Was Wake really a second half collapse last year? Didn't ND lead big and then WF made some hey after ND stopped caring so much? I forget exactly but that is what I thought.

And your insight is solid and appreciated as always :) Wake‘s D def hasn‘t been the same since Bates got injured last year and now drafted

Was Wake really a second half collapse last year? Didn't ND lead big and then WF made some hey after ND stopped caring so much? I forget exactly but that is what I thought.

From my understanding of collapse your second question answers your first. They scurried for a late cover

yeah I looked it up 31-10 HT lead and 48-23 at one point for ND last year before it being 48-37. That was the game after Dortch was lost for the year.

Just adding some conversation. I normally try and find reasons to like an underdog. I've bet against ND 3x this year and against WF 2x, sometimes I get stuck on or against a team I have to admit. I will not be taking ND here, not sure at this point if I will make a wager on WF or just pass.

Why only one preview article per week this year? Last year you had like 6 or something per week.

yeah I looked it up 31-10 HT lead and 48-23 at one point for ND last year before it being 48-37. That was the game after Dortch was lost for the year.

Just adding some conversation. I normally try and find reasons to like an underdog. I've bet against ND 3x this year and against WF 2x, sometimes I get stuck on or against a team I have to admit. I will not be taking ND here, not sure at this point if I will make a wager on WF or just pass.

Why only one preview article per week this year? Last year you had like 6 or something per week.

They‘re keeping me on baseball plus a couple NFL articles so that’s where my articles are. Weekly Notre Dame coverage is my consolation. Believe me I can‘t fucking wait for baseball to end. I try go do one more informal write-up on here for fun.

Rumor has it... That Wimbush is now 2nd string. Again, a rumor but I'd tend to believe it...

Would be long overdue. Then they implemented Book in goal line packages. Did screens etc on third and 10 to prevent interception.

Notre dames offense will finally have a good game. As unimpressive as nd has been, wake is pure dogshit. They were extremely lucky to beat Tulane. They have no qb, prob gets beat up front. Can’t stop run.

Based on the numbers and how esch game has gone, if you like Notre Dame, i‘d go first half spread. If you like the opponent, i‘d live bet after Irish lead or simply fg spread

Posting this here as I will also play this:

Listened to an Oregon podcast and took notes...

Oregon hasn't really showed itself yet

Stanford front 7 overrated because USC protection handed them a lot of gifts and gaffs. Oregon blocking returns three great blockers can hold their own.
Verdell and Dye, power backs who hit the whole well. TBJ returner who is sick in open space altho fewer designs now for him into open space

Primacy on pass game vs strong Stanford secondary. But wide receivers lack talent, will struggle to get open unless helped schematically, level of miscommunication (wrong routes, some drops) Arroyo playcalling more reactive

Oregon front 7 really good, 3-4 or 5-2, focused on forcing opponent to edge where outside linebackers clean up. Hollins Jelks Dye Winston are guys worth knowing. Can Oregon's secondary contain Whiteside? No: Oregon can't cover receivers. Lost best cornerback Springs--even he couldn't stop Whiteside and this situation is deteriorating. Pressure Costello, force him into tough decisions? While halting Love. Halting Love won't be the problem, Stanford couldn't run against light box even. Four good runs in the season, all bouncing outside and getting receivers to block for them.

Look at props on "over" Costello/Whiteside yards.

Transition on offense, bad communiction with receivers, change in identity—no more skinny linemen and pack of great rb‘s, more pistole formation

Play = Stanford ML

Last edited:
Another play:

Took notes on couple Sparty/IU podcasts and beefed it with some of my research:

Sparty O very deliberate, will huddle. Want to slow game down. Establish the run. Keep game low-scoring.

Offensive line play a disaster: four returning starters, but LT Chewins missed two games so far (he's still listed as questionable) and center been rotation, both centers been getting blasted. Lack of confidence--youth: experienced guys (Chewins and Beedle) with injury issues. Missing center Brian Allen. Lacking leadership at o-line. Need to get protection. Key to find balance on offense. Sparty hasn't been able to run the ball, can't find time for QB to throw. USU (Sparty right tackle got killed) and ASU got some decent pressure. Offense majorly on Lewerke's shoulders. IU: three sacks vs Ball State, last year three sacks vs Wiscy, Sparty, Maryland. IU D been very effective when at least getting a lot of hurries.

Sparty strength: Lewerke and receivers (but also protection issue). IU D ranked 8th nationally against the pass (soft schedule: FIU, UVa with dual-threat, Ball State) Senior leader Crawford at safety who leads team with 15 tackles, also has 2 TFL, one sack, one pick six. Two experienced corners in Riggins and Brown

MSU weakness (run game) = IU weakness. Young defense allowing 4.8 YPC. FIU ran pretty well, UVA had dual-threat quarterback, Ball State, though, had 200 yards rushing and gashed Indiana with explosive run plays (13, 14, 15, 25 yard runs) which is supposed to be a key trait of IU coach Tom Allen to stop. But Sparty couldn‘t even run vs ASU who let SD State run for 311 yards and who has new DC and lost major pieces to d-line

Defense: Top d-back Josiah Scott still missing, hurting pass defense. Layne holding his own against the best of the best (ie Harry). The problem is really the linebackers in pass coverage.

Run D looking great statistically but hasn't faced even the tiniest semblance of a formidable rush attack--opponents attacking through the pass. For example: Utah State's leading rusher 25 yards, 25 carries but QB Jordan Love moved ball downfield at will. ASU leading carrier 4.3 YPC.But interestingly, run is IU's focus. Will be hard to run against Sparty. Sparty: returning basically almost everyone on front 7. Stevie Scott power back for IU great start to the season, great for possession-oriented team, been huge component after injury to starting back Gest and suspension of rb Ellison, but also weak schedule so far, too much on freshman's shoulders against Sparty? But will be helped by veteran o-line returning everyone from a year ago. Great rotation of 8 or 9 guys. Unlike last year, staying healthy

IU needs to succeed in passing game (like USU, ASU)

IU loves up tempo (rare for Big 10 schools) and tempo has made Sparty's defense struggle in both games so far. Should exploit Sparty with quick passes out to flats. Deep group of receivers led by Hale and Westbrook (6-3 and 6-4), Sparty struggling to get pressure on quarterback. Put in bold because I feel like this is the key for IU here. Ramsey doesn't throw downfield but he doesn't need to. He can build rhythm with underneath throws against Sparty linebackers who since last year (see dink and dunk disaster vs NW) have proven to be weak in pass coverage. Much like USU and ASU.

IU plays Sparty very tough historically

Special teams: Punter out, quarterback will punt. IU has dangerous punt returner.

Up in the air: Sparty typically lays an egg in opener and then had to deal with Desert. Are the for real? How good is Stevie Scott really? Paltry Sparty rush attack vs young and struggling IU run defense.

A game worth watching to find things out about Sparty rush attack and IU run defense.

2016 again for Sparty?

Sparty off bye week means nothing based on recent history.

Broader scope:

Point total when LJ Scott averages fewer than 4 YPC. since 2017: 35 against Bowling Green, 17 vs Iowa, 17 vs Indiana, 17 vs Northwestern (thru 4Q) 27 vs Penn State, 3 vs Ohio State, 40 vs Rutgers, 38 vs Utah State, 13 vs Arizona State.

Penn State is the one conference exception here. PSU was deflated after the huge loss against Ohio State, had to hold a players-only meeting, totally lacked motivation. Lewerke threw for 400 yards there. Then Rutgers and Bowling Green

But otherwise we see no more than 17 points against a Power 5 school (not including Rutgers) when Scott can't run.

Let's see the defenses (in terms of 2017 opposing YPC) Sparty rush attack was dealing with: Bowling Green 128th, Iowa 49th, Indiana 38th, Northwestern 9th, Penn State 15th, Ohio State 3rd, Utah State was 79th last year (got gashed by Wiscy and Wake, but returned significant experience in front 7) Arizona State was 99th last year (5 YPC both home in desert and away) and lost significant pieces in front 7

Success running against: Minnesota 92nd, Western Michigan 69th, Maryland 89th (still only 17 points, game in snow so it was basically run only)

I think Sparty has its best game on the ground against retooling Indy o-line. So closer to 4 ypc. Between pass protection and Indy secondary Lewerke wont have too good of a day despite awesome receivers. I think maybe 23 points? Indy I think has the key on O with passing underneath. Sparty linebackers will have to respect the flats which can create more room up the middle for Stevie Scott, easily Sparty‘s most formidable opposing rush attack. I‘ll say 21-24 points for Indy.

Play: IU +5.5

Back