VC and BAR Michigan State vs Michigan Collaboration Thread

Mork not playing fair, no depth chart this week. I look forward to the outrage from the national media.

I'd be more worried about this game if I actually thought MSU was good this year. They are not, they were absolutely terrible last two weeks. They luckboxed their way to victory last week as PSU deflected 16 batted balls (dropped numerous INTs) and they recovered all four of their own fumbles. Further, PSU literally slipped on the field at the most crucial parts of the game, one for a clear TD to basically ice the game, another on 4th down when McSorley had the first in MSU territory. PSU also missed a FG and MSU ran a fake punt and after that a half back pass. A win is a win, but they did get PSU last two years off of a devastating loss to OSU the next game, clearly completely depressed.

Shit happens, and I know they run trick plays etc and will this weekend for sure, but they are not a good team overall. That said, Dicktonio completely outcoached penis head last week and outschemed his OC. Dicktonio can coach, Ill give him that.

I do worry about a let down from Michigan after last Saturday night. I hate that we acted like it was such a big deal beating up on a team at night at home with Hornibrook at the controls, who already lost to BYU at home. This game is like a Mouse on our back that we must get rid of. Not so concerned about the weather as we can play blow for blow with anyone and run the ball down anyone's throat. My biggest fear is the luck box Sparty, that appeared so often just a few years ago.

Just completely forget the PSU fumble that wasn‘t one the fluke of an INT caused by Chambers and call every good Sparty act luck. Come on Detroit be more biased please

Can‘t imagine a letdown it‘s not like UM beat OSU they beat a team that they were favored by double digits against. Great win but time to focus on hated rival

My question is if Shea can beat Sparty through the air. He is no Clayton Thorson or Trace McSorley for that matter

Sure he can. But Im sure there will be some tropical storm brewing from noon-3:30. MSU had worst pass defense in B10 before last weeks game. They didn't all of a sudden get that much better. Though I do think they gave up a couple of big runs when normally their run D has been very good because of the designated spy on McSorley. They won't have to worry as much with Shea so they will use that extra man to shore up the run d. Credit to MSU D though, Ive never seen #9 that out of sorts.

Sure he can. But Im sure there will be some tropical storm brewing from noon-3:30. MSU had worst pass defense in B10 before last weeks game. They didn't all of a sudden get that much better. Though I do think they gave up a couple of big runs when normally their run D has been very good because of the designated spy on McSorley. They won't have to worry as much with Shea so they will use that extra man to shore up the run d. Credit to MSU D though, Ive never seen #9 that out of sorts.

Worst pass D on what sample? They faced a bunch of up-tempo dink-and-dunkers and we already knew Sparty struggled against that. Then Sparty held psu to 17 points...

Interesting about the amount of runs faced.

Now, that NW game definitely helps lower that number.

And the secondary, linebackers and pass rush have been tested in pass coverage an extreme amount

Last edited:
Probably already posted but somewhat insane:

The Michigan-Michigan State rivalry has had plenty of nerve-wracking endings of late, but against the spread, the matchup has been completely one-sided.

Michigan State is 10-0 ATS in the last 10 seasons against Michigan, covering by an average of 13 points per game. The trends favoring the Spartans +7.5 over Michigan doesn't end there. MSU coach Mark Dantonio is 20-8-1 ATS as Big Ten underdog and is 16-4-1 ATS with as a conference underdog against teams off back-to-back wins.

https://www.betchicago.com/week-8-big-ten-college-football-betting-lines-standings-predictions

Yup, that is a definite angle.

Looking at the numbers. Last year was very inflated. 2016 was also a bit inflated but I get it and Michigan was close to covering before some late scores.

Looking back at '15... that number was ridiculous in what was honestly looking back a pretty even match.

The years before were Hoke/Rodriguez and MSU 2010-2015 was their best era since the 60's. Even at the start of the series (when Dantoni took over) the numbers were inflated quite a bit.

FWIW though,

If you took the breakdown of this game without knowing the teams...say Team A and Team B... you would look at the -7 and think it was a pretty fair number right now...

SIAP and being late to the game...Meant to ask yesterday.

What was going on w/ the upper deck sections of Sparty Stadium that were completely empty? Construction, I take it.

SIAP and being late to the game...Meant to ask yesterday.

What was going on w/ the upper deck sections of Sparty Stadium that were completely empty? Construction, I take it.
Good question. Generally for MSU games a lot of the upper deck areas are empty but not for that game. And the one section looked almost blocked off. I was curious myself.

Back