Urban Meyer Appreciation Thread

crawdads

Fairway to Heaven
Look this guy has caused me a lot of heartache when he coached at UF and routinely beat the Dawgs, he is also extremely pompous, arrogant and almost a bully to anyone who crosses him. With that being said, the man can coach. He took over a team who was 7 - 6 and had fair talent. He hasn't lost since. 17 - 0. Sure the Big 10 sucks but winning 17 in a row at anything deserves respect. This guy might be the best coach in all of football. Congrats to Ohio St fans, you guys are rolling!! :shake:

He can, but their non-conference ... OSU apologists are griping that Cal was good when we scheduled 'em, Vandy pulled out ... C'mon, how often are Cal and Vandy on par with OSU? They schedule a decent non-conference home-and-home like once a decade. They can do better. Michigan has always put them to shame in this regard the last 20 years or so.

End of day you play who's on your schedule lol ya they suck but no reason for it to be discussed Week 6....can't be changed now.

Go Bucks! (I'm not as worried as you are about Northwestern.)

They schedule a decent non-conference home-and-home like once a decade.

Hmmm...

Ohio St home & homes, past & future….

UCLA '99 & '01
NC State '03 & '04
Washington '03 & '07
Texas '05 & '06
USC '08 & '09
Miami, FL '10 & '11
Cal #'12 & '13
Va Tech '14 & '15
Oklahoma '16 & '17
TCU '18 & '19
Oregon '20 & '21
Texas '22 & '23

I agree he's a helluva coach but best in the land? There's a 5'7 maniac down in Tuscaloosa that has something to say about that

Agree, Urban is a good coach. But it's gonna suck for Ohio St. when they're undefeated and not playing in the national championsip.

Alabama vs Oregon/Stanford winner

Bump. Best in the biz. To beat Saban who had weeks to prepare with a third string qb paying only his second game.

Tremendous coach. No doubt about it. But lest we forget dec 2009 when he had "health issues" after fla lost to bama and there went the twopeat chance which was the real source of his issue. The next year after going 8-5 he quits because he saw how difficult life was without tebow. He quits, citing health issues and the desire to spend more time with his family as the reasons. More time with family meant signing on with espn apparently, and within 11 mis of quitting fla he becomes the ohio st coach.

great coach? Yes. Great character? No sir.

pretty sure he took the big ten announcing job knowing he'd be in the conf as well. I know Nebraska basically told him to fuck off as far as pregame meetings with the coaching staff.

Quitting your job for a better job isn't big on my list of bad character problems. Not saying he isn't a dick, no idea .. not saying he is a good guy, no idea ... but hard for me to get up in arms if the whole purpose of quitting for health reasons was a lie to get a coaching gig with ohio state. If he is paying players or something like that then I have a problem with his character. These kids should have to pay to play.

The health reason was a farce but it was a smart business decision. Obviously there were holes in the Florida program, why wait until the ship started taking in water.

When you say how difficult it was without tebow? He has lost 2 heisman candidates in 1 year and hasn't missed a beat. The guy can coach.

I've been following the guy since his first year as bgu coach so you are preaching to the choir about his coaching ability. Did i not clearly say he is a tremendous coach.

in 2010 the year after tebow left he went 8-5 as fla coach and saw that saban was going to be a force so he bolted the sec. Perhaps we think more highly of his coaching ability then he does. His 2010 recruiting class was ranked #2 in the country behind USC so what were the holes at fla? jeremy foley? Please.

pretty sure he took the big ten announcing job knowing he'd be in the conf as well. I know Nebraska basically told him to fuck off as far as pregame meetings with the coaching staff.

No shit? I had no clue about this.

The health reason was a farce but it was a smart business decision. Obviously there were holes in the Florida program, why wait until the ship started taking in water.

When you say how difficult it was without tebow? He has lost 2 heisman candidates in 1 year and hasn't missed a beat. The guy can coach.
Quarterbacks?

Him being a dick isnt just what it seems...a few friends of mine have been at camps with him dating back to BG days, all say without hesitation he is the biggest dick of em all and its not close.

I think he stays at OSU till he retires.

fla was a destination job but he left. Osu is a lateral move not an upward one. You know that though. He is only 50 years young. I will be shocked if he retires as the buckeye head man, barring early retirement in 5-7 years due to "health issues" lol. In all seriousness, i will be shocked if he does not end up at another destination job or at least try the pros at least once. I believe it will be the latter. I think the allure of succeeding at the highest level of football will draw him there for at least one tenure, ala jimmy johnson, saban, petrino, etc, etc. then he will likely return to another destination college job that needs rebuilding, and he will take them back to the promised land like he always does.

i will predict he is gone from tosu by the 2020 season. Don't worry HUNT you and i will find this thread and bump it.

Last edited:
2 yrs at bgu
2 yrs at utah
6 at fla
??? At ohio st

i'll predict 8 (2012-2019).

Then it's off agn to the next 'bigger and better' gig which as i stated i believe will likely be the nfl. He'll only be 55 yrs young by then..

Doubt he'll end up in the NFL. As Harbaugh and Saban found out, and Kelly is finding out, they can't have complete control. In college there is not owner, no GM, no director of player personnel, no player agents and player contracts, just an AD you tell to get lost.

These guys are all micro-managing control freaks.

He kills himself with a 12-13 game schedule, with a few softball games. How bad will he have it with a 16 game NFL schedule?

You could be right majent..just seems like a college guy to me..I know his opt out clause was always for Mich, ND, and OSU at Fla. That would be a fun bump.

Doubt he'll end up in the NFL. As Harbaugh and Saban found out, and Kelly is finding out, they can't have complete control. In college there is not owner, no GM, no director of player personnel, no player agents and player contracts, just an AD you tell to get lost.

He kills himself with a 12-13 game schedule, with a few softball games. How bad will he have it with a 16 game NFL schedule?

Good points..a lot of these guys are complete control freaks.

I agree college has the complete control they want but too many of them who succeed at the highest level in college cannot help but see if they have what it takes to be the man in the nfl. It feels like the days of the college lifer are over.

With conf championships and bowls it's 14 gms so just shy of the pros but pros have preseason. Many cfb coaches secretly hate recruiting though as it's a ton of work so that is a big drawback to college.

With conf championships and bowls it's 14 gms so just shy of the pros but pros have preseason. Many cfb coaches secretly hate recruiting though as it's a ton of work so that is a big drawback to college.

Get an all-star staff of recruiters and be the closer...

Once u start winning i think the school sells itself for these guys like urban, saban.

Back