unlv spring practice

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
i guess i will try to keep folks updated with my local team during the spring. i like the idea of a practice mvp that the rebels seem to be employing. note the rebels running backs coach is now at oregon state. here is the latest

March 24, 2008
<!-- LINKS TO RELATED PAGES BEGIN --><!-- LINKS TO RELATED PAGES END -->
LAS VEGAS - Following taking a week off for Spring Break, the UNLV football team returned to Rebel Park on Monday to dig into the meat of spring practice.
Suited up in full pads, the Rebels enjoyed gorgeous spring weather for what was the fourth of 15 scheduled sessions.
"Good to be back," said head coach Mike Sanford. "The first two days in shorts the tempo was good. The third day, the defense was way ahead, which is normal for the first day in pads. Today, we came back and began reinstalling everything we did in the first week. Right now we have to work on things like eliminating bad snaps out of the gun and having guys jump off-sides. We just can't have that. No excuses."
NEW JERSEY?
Visitors to Rebel Park will notice a new color scheme on some players as the quarterbacks are no longer wearing black jerseys. Actually, just one player was wearing black on Monday and that was senior defensive lineman Jacob Hales (Las Vegas, NV/Las Vegas HS). Turns out Hales was the first-ever winner of what is simply known as THE BLACK JERSEY, which will now be worn by the previous practice's top performer. The coaching staff votes on the winner.
"Based on the first three practices, Jacob Hales is a better football player today than last year," Sanford said. "He has shown a tremendous attitude and is working very hard. He was the clear champion." Sanford said two other players were nominated for their good work during the first week of practice: senior WR Casey Flair (Anchorage, Alaska/East HS) and sophomore DB Quinton Pointer (Cape Coral, FL/Mariner HS). <!-- STORY AD BEGINS HERE -->

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
<SCRIPT language=javascript1.2> procad("http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/CSTV.UNLV/SPORTS.MFOOTBL.SPECREL;pos=story;sz=300x250;dcopt=ist;",0); </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/CSTV.UNLV/SPORTS.MFOOTBL.SPECREL;pos=story;sz=300x250;tile=2;ord=4403605204855030.5?" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- Template Id = 1 Template Name = Banner Creative (Flash) --><!-- Copyright 2002 DoubleClick Inc., All rights reserved. --><SCRIPT src="http://m1.2mdn.net/879366/flashwrite_1_2.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript>dcmaxversion = 9dcminversion = 6DoOn Error Resume Nextplugin = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & dcmaxversion & "")))If plugin = true Then Exit Dodcmaxversion = dcmaxversion - 1Loop While dcmaxversion >= dcminversion</SCRIPT>

</TD><TD width=5>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

THE BLACK JERSEY will be awarded through preseason camp in August but Sanford says he doesn't know yet if it will continue during the regular season.

The Rebel quarterbacks wore white on Monday but will eventually show up with green jerseys when they are practicing in a non-contact mode.
DAVIS EXITS
Reggie Davis, who was heading into his fourth season coaching the UNLV running backs, has been hired to fill a position at Oregon State. That means the Rebels are one coach down in the middle of spring. That also means that head coach Mike Sanford is now overseeing the running backs, which he last did while serving as offensive coordinator at Utah in 2003-04.
"I'm coaching the running backs until further notice," said the head man after Monday's session. "We don't know the timing of hiring a replacement just yet."
UP NEXT UNLV's next practice will be Wednesday (March 26) on campus. The session, which will have the players in pads, is scheduled to last from approximately 4:00-6:00 p.m. All practices this spring are free and open to the public but visitors must stay in the designated viewing areas on the grass practice field.

from usatoday ....

UNLV's defense is getting a makeover this spring, and it's not just because star linebacker Beau Bell, the 2007 Mountain West Conference defensive player of the year, is moving on to the NFL.

Linebacker coach Dennis Therrell was promoted to defensive coordinator in the offseason. He replaced the duo of Kurt Barber, who was let go after another 2-10 season, and Vic Shealy, who became the Rebels' secondary coach.

Fourth-year UNLV head coach Mike Sanford has made patching up a defense that allowed an average of 28.6 points per game a top priority. He especially wants to improve a run defense that gave up an average of 183.6 yards per game and 23 rushing touchdowns.

"We've got to stop the run," Sanford said. "We're going to be a four-man front but we are going to have more variations. We're going to involve more people in the box to stop the run. It's critical we improve our defense against the run."

Another focus this spring is determining a starting quarterback, although that issue likely will carry over into fall camp. Sophomores Omar Clayton and Travis Dixon — who both started games last year — redshirt freshman Mike Clausen and senior Dack Ishii are all in the mix.

Senior Rocky Hinds, a highly touted transfer from USC who started two years ago before re-injuring his knee, remains enrolled in school but no longer is part of the team.
NOTES, QUOTES

SPRING OBJECTIVES: The Rebels need to narrow down their battle for the starting quarterback position. Sophomores Omar Clayton and Travis Dixon both have starting experience while redshirt freshman Mike Clausen was highly touted coming out of high school and was impressive last fall running the scout team.

New defensive coordinator Dennis Therrell is introducing new schemes while also trying to come up with two starters in the secondary at corner and safety. Despite losing 2007 Mountain West Conference defensive player of the year Beau Bell to graduation, the linebacker unit should be solid with six players vying for three spots.

The defensive line, which also should be deeper despite the early departure of end Jeremy Geathers to the NFL, should have some interesting starting battles.

BUILDING BLOCKS: Running back Frank Summers (928 yards) gives the Rebels a legitimate all-conference threat in the backfield. He should contend for the league rushing title as a senior.

The wide receiver corps, led by juniors Ryan Wolfe and Rodelin Anthony and senior Casey Flair, is perhaps the best in the Mountain West Conference.

The offensive line, where hard-nosed junior Joe Hawley moves from center to his natural guard spot, should be improved.

Defensively, junior linebacker Starr Fuimaono makes plays all over the field and is quick enough to cover backs and wide receivers in pass coverage.

Junior safety Daryl Forte and sophomore corner Quinton Pointer are returning starters who will anchor the secondary.

The defensive line, led by tackles Jacob Hales and Malu Taumua and newcomer Heivaha Mafi at end, should be much improved.

SCHEDULE SITUATION: The Mountain West Conference still has not released its 2008 schedule but the Rebels know they will be playing a rare seven home games at Sam Boyd Stadium starting with an Aug. 30 opener against Utah State.

The Rebels also host Iowa State (Sept. 20) and Nevada (Sept. 27) in non-conference play and travel to Arizona State (Sept. 13).

UNLV will host Wyoming, Air Force, New Mexico and TCU in Mountain West play and travel to BYU, Utah, Colorado State and San Diego State.

After winning just two games in each of his first three years on the job, it is important that Mike Sanford get off to a quick start in September to keep the vultures away. A win over bitter in-state rival Nevada in the annual Battle for the Fremont Cannon would go a long way to easing some pressure. Most people view the season opener with Utah State as a must-win.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "If it's clear, we could name one. But there's also a good chance that we could come out of the spring without a qualified starter and carry it over until the fall." — UNLV coach Mike Sanford on his starting quarterback battle.
STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

STARS OF 2008:

RB Frank Summers — Frank "The Tank" rushed for 928 yards as a junior behind a young offensive line and without a strong passing game to take the pressure off. The 5-foot-10, 240-pounder lives up to his nickname, frequently running over defenders.

WR Ryan Wolfe — Had 66 catches for 784 yards as a sophomore en route to all-conference honors.

LB Starr Fuimaono — He had 68 tackles in just nine games as a sophomore before suffering a season-ending shoulder injury at Wyoming. Some felt he was as valuable as Beau Bell to UNLV's defense last year.

TOP NEWCOMERS

DE Heivaha Mafi — A mid-year junior college transfer from Laney College in Oakland. He's expected to add some pass-rushing ability and toughness to the Rebel defensive line.

LB Travis Trickey — A true freshman from Springerville High School in Round Valley, Ariz, where he was a first-team all-state pick.

DE Preston Brooks — A transfer from Washington State who joined the team last fall and was impressive on the scout team. Could be an impact performer as a sophomore.

LB David Blair — Another true freshman who was a first-team all-state pick in Arizona who is expected to see immediate playing time.

ROSTER REPORT:

—Offensive linemen Richie Plunkett (back) and Johan Asiata (shoulders) and defensive end Luke Plante (knee) will all sit out spring practice while recuperating from surgeries. All are expected to be ready to go by the summer.

—Veteran DL coach Andre Patterson, who has spent the past 10 years coaching in the NFL, has replaced Kurt Barber as DL coach. <!--endclickprintinclude-->

Good stuff Kyle. How does Clayton not win this job? The Rebels averaged 25 points a game during his three starts and 15 points a game when Dixon started. I assume it's because of his inability to hold onto the ball, but the kid was a freshman last year. They have to expect some mistakes out of him. He certainly seems to be the more explosive of the two players.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if Clayton wins the job I'll be expecting alot higher scoring games with the Rebels. Alot of that has to do with Clayton moving the offense better while another strong point is him giving the other offense a short field because of his TO's.

Consider this: The Rebels were 1-8 O/U with Dixon as a starter last year and 3-0 O/U with Clayton starting. Should be some good early season value either way based on the starting QB.

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Good stuff Kyle. How does Clayton not win this job? The Rebels averaged 25 points a game during his three starts and 15 points a game when Dixon started. I assume it's because of his inability to hold onto the ball, but the kid was a freshman last year. They have to expect some mistakes out of him. He certainly seems to be the more explosive of the two players.

Maybe I'm missing something, but if Clayton wins the job I'll be expecting alot higher scoring games with the Rebels. Alot of that has to do with Clayton moving the offense better while another strong point is him giving the other offense a short field because of his TO's.

Consider this: The Rebels were 1-8 O/U with Dixon as a starter last year and 3-0 O/U with Clayton starting. Should be some good early season value either way based on the starting QB.

pretty funny jpicks. I just recently had a similar conversation with a unlv alum just the other day. The problem i had with dixon last year was on so many different levels. He looked like a deer in headlights. He was unable to make a second read on the defenses he faced. usually he made one read ( usually got it wrong ) and then tucked and scrambled. he has some quicks that way but still. When he did have open receivers he consistently failed to hit them with the ball. I have the unlv/unm game form last year on tape ( dont ask me why ) and there were wide open receivers all over the field .. he just couldnt deliver. The rebels are fairly loaded at the wide receiver position so this is important. I just dont have reason to believe the kid has developed between december and now and he NEVER showed improvement from game to game last year. I have not been to a spring practice though ... so no idea how he is looking there. i guess i have to trust the coaching staff to make the right choice. i think clausen ends up being the best of the three but after struggling so mightily with freshman qb's last year i dont think sanford goes that route. So likely that means omar clayton gets the call. i will certainly update this thread as that positional battle becomes more clear. i think clayton has a better skill set to utilize the wr we have and he did have a huge rushing game last year against colorado st as i recall. without looking it up, i can promise you one thing ..... clayton is a far more accurate passer than travis dixon and its not even close. i suspect last years stats would back this up. if clayton has progressed as far as possession management i just dont see why he wouldnt get the job. but what the hell do i know. promise to let you know how it is looking as i get more information.

Beau Bell was a beast anchoring a decent defense....Hope he does well in the NFL, interested to follow his career.....

Sat on the sidelines for the Hawaii game....nothing was wrong with their skill positions like you noted....

But the young QB was atrocious at the time and missed easy passes time and time again....He had zero touch, throwing the ball ulta hard and flat on every single pass.

I laid the 17 in that game, and kept thinking, If UNLV had a half decent QB this would be a good game.

A Brennan or even Graunke from Hawaii, or any polished passer woulda meant a .500 or better season last year imo.....

I keep cheering for UNLV every year from the early 1990's when Hawaii would play them once a year and UNLV would be loaded with Hawaii players....

I hope to cheer for them this year again......

But every year the same damn thing......higher expectations with crap results.

But every year the same damn thing......higher expectations with crap results.

yup , same old thing. In defense of the team last year ... we had one of the better unlv qb's ( allegedly ) that we were banking on for last year and the guy just couldnt overcome his injuries. That is why we were forced to go to the young guys who failed to perform.

Should also mention that dack ishii is also in the running for the starting qb position but it is so unlikely that he gets the nod that i failed to really bring him up ... but just in case i better mention him so i dont look foolish later if something wierd happens.

As far as the hawaii players ... we dont recruit skilled players from there the way we used to but we still raid the islands for linemen. Still after nevada and california it is where we actually tend to get more of our players.

hawaiians on the unlv roster:

johan asiata -- will start for us on the offensive line .. likely at right tackle. huge over 310 pounds ..atleast.

Ramsey feagai -- think asiata is huge ?? ramsey is over 350 :)

kamu kapanui --- does our long snapping

malo taumua -- will likely start for us on the dline this year

we also have a couple incoming freshman offfensive linemen from hawaii as well but i dont know a damn thing about them. With as many hawaiians as we have gotten ( asiata is more of a new zealander i think ... if i remember right .. maybe australia . shrug) i have probably even forgotten a player or two. In addition we also have one player from samoa.

We used to get more skilled player talent from there but i think the rise of the hawaii offense has hurt us some in that respect as far as recruiting.

I have lived here since the early nineties and i think a lot of people from around the country would be suprised at the number of hawaiians that have relocated to las vegas.

I have lived here since the early nineties and i think a lot of people from around the country would be suprised at the number of hawaiians that have relocated to las vegas.

Hawaiians call the Vegas the 8th Island, i heard about 75,00 hawaiians now...including many friends of mine....

People down here just want UNLV to do well for some reason, their team is / was kinda in the same boat as us.......Both complete crap (hawaii was 0-11 and about to close shop)......dunno, hell i want UNLV to turn the corner, and i dont see why not.....they definitely have more money and better facilites than hawaii...

I have no idea how Sanford didn't get this guy.

DeVonte Christopher
Quarterback
6-0, 181, Fr.
HS
Las Vegas, Nev.
Canyon Springs HS
2007 Nevada Gatorade Player of the Year, Nevada Prep Player of the Year and Las Vegas Review Journal Player of the Year ... first-team all-state as a senior at Canyon Springs High ... all-conference as a sophomore receiver and senior quarterback ... first-team underclass all-state as a sophomore ... rated the No. 2 prep player at any position in the state of Nevada by scout.com ... team captain in 2006 and 2007 ... 3,265 passing yards and 44 touchdowns as a senior ... first player in Nevada prep history to pass for more than 30 touchdowns in the regular season ... 77 touchdowns from 2006-07 ... three six-touchdown passing games and two 400-yard games ... also lettered in track, baseball and basketball ... on Canyon Springs High's Northwest Division champion teams in football and basketball ... basketball also won Sunrise League championship ... honor roll student from ninth-12th grade ... won an English award ... son of Daryl Christopher and Taminika Jernigan ... father went to UTEP and Southern Utah, where he lettered in basketball from 1994-96 ... two brothers and three sisters ... hobby is cooking ... full name is DeVonte Lamont Christopher ... name is pronounced da-von-tay ... born April 17, 1990

It's one thing if the kid commits to a Pac 10 school or a Big 12 school, but to allow him to go to the University of Utah shouldn't be accepted When the state player of the year also fits the biggest need of your football team you have to get him signed.

I agree jpicks ..... but if you were the kid where would you rather play ( recent suxxess of alex smith and the johnson kid vs unlv and nothing ) ?

hate to say it but i dont follow the hs football here much so never saw him play either. get caughtup in everything else and dont want to be that creepy guy that goes to high school games by himself. people might think i am going there to look at high school seniors/cheerleaders... or worse they might catch me.

but i hear what you are saying ....... this is how schiano turned rutgers around ... by not allowing the in state talent out of new jersey. We go through coaches so fast here that they rarely have time to develop that relationship with the hish school head coaches that would really help this process.

rebels schedule

<TABLE id=schedtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=event-table-headings bgColor=#666666><TD class=head-text></TD></TR><TR bgColor=#000000><TD colSpan=4>
spacer.gif
</TD></TR><TR class="" id=922948 title=2008,7,30,22,00,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#d1d1d1 origClass="event-listing" timer="122981362" recap="null" schoolcode="unlv" timestamp="2008,7,30,22,00,00" atvs="vs."><TD class=row-text>08/30/08</TD><TD class=row-text>vs. Utah State
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Las Vegas, NV</TD><TD class=row-text>7:00 p.m. PT</TD></TR><TR class="" id=922949 title=2008,8,06,20,00,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#f1f1f1><TD class=row-text>09/06/08</TD><TD class=row-text>at Utah
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Salt Lake City, UT</TD><TD class=row-text>5:00 p.m. PT</TD></TR><TR class="" id=922950 title=2008,8,13,22,00,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#f1f1f1><TD class=row-text>09/13/08</TD><TD class=row-text>at Arizona State
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Tempe, AZ</TD><TD class=row-text>7:00 p.m. PT</TD></TR><TR class=tr-hilite id=922951 title=2008,8,20,21,00,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#d1d1d1><TD class=row-text>09/20/08</TD><TD class=row-text>vs. Iowa State
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Las Vegas, NV</TD><TD class=row-text>6:00 p.m. PT</TD></TR><TR class="" id=922952 title=2008,8,27,22,00,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#d1d1d1><TD class=row-text>09/27/08</TD><TD class=row-text>vs. Nevada, Reno
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Las Vegas, NV</TD><TD class=row-text>7:00 p.m. PT</TD></TR><TR class="" id=922953 title=2008,9,04,14,00,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#f1f1f1><TD class=row-text>10/04/08</TD><TD class=row-text>at Colorado State
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Fort Collins, CO</TD><TD class=row-text>11:00 a.m. PT</TD></TR><TR class="" id=922954 title=2008,9,18,22,00,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#d1d1d1><TD class=row-text>10/18/08</TD><TD class=row-text>vs. Air Force
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Las Vegas, NV</TD><TD class=row-text>7:00 p.m. PT</TD></TR><TR class="" id=922955 title=2008,9,25,14,00,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#f1f1f1><TD class=row-text>10/25/08</TD><TD class=row-text>at BYU
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Provo, UT</TD><TD class=row-text>11:00 a.m. PT</TD></TR><TR class="" id=922956 title=2008,10,01,20,00,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#d1d1d1><TD class=row-text>11/01/08</TD><TD class=row-text>vs. TCU
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Las Vegas, NV</TD><TD class=row-text>5:00 p.m. PT</TD></TR><TR class="" id=922957 title=2008,10,08,22,00,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#d1d1d1><TD class=row-text>11/08/08</TD><TD class=row-text>vs. New Mexico
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Las Vegas, NV</TD><TD class=row-text>7:00 p.m. PT</TD></TR><TR class="" id=923769 title=2008,10,13,21,00,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#d1d1d1><TD class=row-text>11/13/08</TD><TD class=row-text>vs. Wyoming
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>Las Vegas, NV</TD><TD class=row-text>6:00 p.m. PT</TD></TR><TR class="" id=922959 title=2008,10,22,20,00,00 vAlign=top bgColor=#f1f1f1><TD class=row-text>11/22/08</TD><TD class=row-text>at San Diego State
media-icon-tv.gif
</TD><TD class=row-text>San Diego, CA</TD><TD class=row-text>5:00 p.m. PT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

note that the wyoming at unlv game was rescheduled for a thursday night for television. look for vegaskyle in the stands ( he will be the overweight guy , with a slightly receding hairline that looks as if he is being rejected by a cute 22 year old Rebel student. ). Pumped because we always play our games on saturday and i never get to see them play as i am working/watching college football all day. so this will be sweet.

also note that all indications are that it will either be clayton or dixon at qb for next year.

unlv gives a black jersey for the mvp of each practice. note how many times a defensive lineman appears , and they have also been nominated for the jersey alot as well .... in addition to sanford complimenting their play. not sure if this is a good sign for the DL or a bad sign for the OL yet.

BLACK JERSEY WINNERS
Practice 3: Jacob Hales, DL
Practice 4: Jacob Hales, DL
Practice 5: Rodelin Anthony, WR
Practice 6: Quinton Pointer, DB
Practice 7: Frank Summers, RB
Practice 8: Malo Taumua, DL
Practice 9: Jacob Hales, DL

It's fall practice now, jpicks, but a decision has been made ....

<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD class=storytitle colSpan=3>Clayton gets starting nod </TD></TR><TR><TD class=primaryimage vAlign=top>
574270.jpg

Starting QB Omar Clayton
</TD><TD noWrap width=3></TD><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4 width="60%" bgColor=#f5f5f5 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=center noWrap>By Steve Guiremand
Rebel Nation Editor
Posted Aug 4, 2008
</TD><TD noWrap>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

UNLV head coach Mike Sanford made it official on Monday night that sophomore Omar Clayton will be his starting quarterback for the team's Aug. 30 opener against Utah State. No surprise there. But the fate of last year's starting QB, Travis Dixon, was a stunner.
</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>
Dixon will move to safety to help shore up UNLV's thin secondary.

Dixon actually made the announcement of his position switch to the team at a meeting on Monday and received a large roar from the defense. He wore a new uniform, No. 9, and reported with the secondary at Monday night's practice at Rebel Park.

"Youth football probably," Dixon said when asked the last time he played in the secondary. "It's been a while."

Dixon said "he was excited" and "ready to help the team out" when he got the news of the position switch.

"I just want to help the team out and get us some more victories this season," he said. "We're kind of think over there."

"I was kind of surprised," Clayton said when he heard that Dixon was moving to defense. "(Dixon) took it like a champ. ... I planned on being the starter anyway (but) the switch (by Dixon) was a surprise."

Redshirt freshman Mike Clausen, a highly touted recruit from Riverside, Calif., will back Clayton up.
< br> "Omar has had a great summer and off-season, and our players have a lot of confidence in him," Sanford said. "Travis is a great athlete. Our players have tremendous respect for him and he will help us on defense. ... I think it's really good </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Oh my God. Mike Sanford got one right this time, didn't he?

I may have to revise my prediction here from 4-8 up to 5-7 or 6-6. Well, no...but I may have to re-look at that season opener.

No shit. Sanford did get one right here. Dixon to safety says alot about the defense though. This instantly makes the Rebels a much higher scoring team from two perspectives. I'll just quote what I wrote earlier:

Alot of that has to do with Clayton moving the offense better while another strong point is him giving the other offense a short field because of his TO's.

Back