Underrated great players no one talks about anymore

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
Was thinking about most underrated players of all time in the NBA .... and I don't mean players like Moses Malone or Patrick Ewing who people will still talk about today but who I think were underappreciated .. I mean either of those two would be the most dominant player in todays game...Moses one of my alltime favorites ... I mean really good players no one ever talks about anymore. A couple from me ..

Bernard King
Sidney Moncrief

People forget how good Bill Walton was before his body broke down.

Couple forgotten Domers who had pretty great NBA careers ...

Kelly Tripucka and Austin Carr (I believe Carr still holds the single-game playoff scoring record)

Also ...

George Gervin & Alex English

Loved Artis Gilmore. Great facial hair pork chops too, I think, if I'm remembering the right guy.

artis-gilmore.jpg

How about some love for some shooters.

Chuck Person, Glenn Rice, Mark Price

Some of the second and third fiddles were great NBA players outshined by legends. Kevin Mchale, Byron Scott.

I hated the Pistons, but all those guys were good. Dumars. Vin Johnson. I always secretly liked Lambier.

these guys come to mine as players when I was growing up that you loved to have their trading card but don't hear all too much about anymore
Derrick Coleman
Larry Johnson
Kevin Johnson

I don't think you can be considered underrated if your in the Basketball HOF.

Moncrief, Sikma, and Aguirre have already been mentioned.

Think guys from the 70's in general are overlooked as that was the dark ages in NBA history.

I will throw out Dale Ellis, a guy that was wasted on the Mavericks bench for his first 3 years in the league and then when he gets traded and finally a chance to start (at age 26) averages 25 a game his first 2 seasons in Seattle; was a career 40% 3 point shooter.

Terry Cummings, blew out his knee and was never the same but before that was a 20 and 8 guy that played hard and finished with 19,460 career points, just below the 20,000 threshold which is automatic entrance into the HOf except for...

Tom Chambers, the only player in league history to accumulate 20,00 career points and not be enshrined in the HOF. 6-10 and ran the floor like a gazelle, was a 4 time all-star and averaged 27 a game at his peak.

Moses Malone....very surprised nobody mentioned him.

Current most underrated great players:

Tony Allen
Marcin Gortat

Moses of course but fwiw Kyle specifically said he wasn't looking for Moses Malone in the first post

Saw Alex English mentioned... a great mention. Kevin Johnson is another one... guy was really, really good. Terry Cummings ... all kinds of good ones .. Artis, ...

Chambers was underrated... but there was never a point I thought he was elite... which may mean I was underrating him. Had some great dunks.

Dantley on the all-socks team

Back