UFC 96: Rampage Jackson vs. Keith Jardine - Saturday, March 7th

How does this guy not have a nickname by now?

Eddie Bravo is my facebook friend and I messaged him and told him to tell Joe after carwin KO's Gonzaga to call him "Pain train".. but obviously, no dice yet.. Maybe after he KO's Velazquez and then Lesnar he will get a name

SOOOOOO ANYBODY LAYING THE BIG MONEY ON PAGE....?????

who's biting..... :popcorn:

Eddie Bravo is my facebook friend and I messaged him and told him to tell Joe after carwin KO's Gonzaga to call him "Pain train".. but obviously, no dice yet.. Maybe after he KO's Velazquez and then Lesnar he will get a name

That's a good one. I was thinking Wrecking Ball.

I thought the Pain train was out after that shot he took, but I forgot he is stronger than a locomotive

Is it just me or are MMA wins extra rewarding? I don't usually bet it as big as other sports but hitting a nice dog in MMA is a hell of a feeling for me

Proved he could not only take a punch but get off the ground against a guy with good jj.

I'll take the win but just sayin, if he doesn't hit that punch, I think he was hurt and probably gets KO'd.. Anyone else see that?

I'll take the win but just sayin, if he doesn't hit that punch, I think he was hurt and probably gets KO'd.. Anyone else see that?

He was definitely in some trouble but didn't hesitate to react. Threw some counterpunches and closed the distance.

So Jardine can take a punch.

About midway through the round I thought Rampage is gonna lose this fight if he doesn't knock out Jardine. Up until that point it looked like he was waiting around to end the fight with one punch.

Great fight. Could be close. I thought Jardine by split decision before that blow to end the round.

OFFICIAL RESULTS

• Quinton Jackson def. Keith Jardine via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
  • Shane Carwin def. Gabriel Gonzaga via knockout (punch) - Round 1, 1:09
  • Matt Brown def. Pete Sell via TKO (strikes) - Round 1, 1:32
  • Matt Hamill def. Mark Munoz via knockout (head kick) - Round 1, 3:53
  • Gray Maynard def. Jim Miller via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
  • Tamdan McCrory def. Ryan Madigan via TKO (strikes) - Round 1, 3:35
  • Kendall Grove def. Jason Day via TKO (strikes) - Round 1, 1:32
  • Jason Brilz def. Tim Boetsch via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
  • Brandon Vera def. Michael Patt via TKO (leg kicks) - Round 2, 1:27
  • Shane Nelson def. Aaron Riley via TKO (strikes) - Round 1, 0:44

Jackson, Jardine and Hamill earn $60K UFC 96 bonuses

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Quinton "Rampage" Jackson, Keith Jardine and Matt Hamill each earned $60,000 "fight night" bonuses for their performances at "UFC 96: Jackson vs. Jardine."

UFC 96 took place Saturday at the Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, and aired live on pay-per-view. The bonus amounts were up significantly from the $40,000 awards issued at UFC 95 in February, but down slightly from the $65,000 UFC 94 bonuses in January.

The UFC announced the bonuses at the UFC 96 post-fight press conference and were confirmed by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

With seven of the evening's 10 bouts ending by knockout or TKO, the UFC had a difficult decision when it came to "Knockout of the Night." With no submission wins on the evening laying claim to a "Submission of the Night" bonus, the UFC elected not to award any additional awards.

Jackson and Jardine's main event was predicted by many to be a one-sided affair. The awkward, hulking "Dean of Mean" proved the naysayers wrong and pushed the former light-heavyweight champion to perform at his peak for 15 full minutes. The back-and-forth battle remained up in the air until the final bell, and while Jackson earned the win, the matchup earned the pair the evening's "Fight of the Night."

A battle between two elite-level wrestlers probably wasn't many people's pre-event choice as a potential "Knockout of the Night." But after whipping the Columbus crowd into a frenzy with his entrance, Hamill landed a devastating right high kick that left Mark Munoz unconscious and earned "The Hammer" the evening's bonus.

UFC 96 joins recent pay-per-view events UFC 92 and UFC 94 as events to end without a single submission victory. Prior to the three-month stretch, the most recent event to end without a submission was UFC Fight Night 7 on Dec. 13, 2006.

yeah yves reffing in the brown/sell was AWFUL.... he should go...

the moment a ref jumps in a grips a guy up , the fight should be over.... if hes stepping in, hes stepped in and the fight needs to be done, no letting it go a little longer... i too was outraged seeing that shit last night....

goes to show how great a ref Big John had been for the company... there will be only one! i miss seeing him at the events now....

Thanks for the link kush.

I must say that as much as I bashed this card going into it, those who paid for UFC 96 got their money's worth.

I must say that as much as I bashed this card going into it, those who paid for UFC 96 got their money's worth.

yeah, i was definately satisfied with the card... 1st Rd. KOs almost always make the night seem better...

this may be similiar to the Yahoo article above...

Dana White on officiating gaffes at UFC 96: Referees "need to be confident"

Dana White, the Ultimate Fighting Championship president, waged war on the octagon as the fight progressed.

Inside the cage, Matt Brown was dismantling Pete Sell in a main card welterweight fight at UFC 96 on Saturday in Columbus, Ohio. As blows progressed, Sell continued to fall, rise, backpedal and take punishment.

After about a minute of the one-sided match, Brown paused at a stumbling Sell and turned slightly, looking for the referee. It was clear that Brown, in an act of mercy, was asking for the fight to be stopped.

It wasn't. Brown continued advancing. After 1 minute and 27 seconds, the referee did thankfully call it off, giving Brown his third win in four UFC fights.

"I wanted him to stop the fight because it was clear to me Pete Sell was pretty much done," Brown said. "I didn't want to inflict any unreasonable damage he didn't have to take for (the) purpose of winning or losing the fight."

The referee, Ives Lavigne, was one of two who made questionable calls during UFC 96 that drew White's ire in the post-event press conference and underlined the ongoing issue of in-cage management during these crowd-pleasing but sometimes-dangerous bouts.

The first fight of the night, a preliminary card matchup between Shane Nelson and Aaron Riley, ended far too soon, after just 44 seconds while an on-the-ground Riley still seemed coherent and defensive. Lavigne then let the Brown-Sell fight go on too long, and the result was a Sell trip to a Columbus hospital for an MRI.

It was a night that once again brought MMA refereeing to the forefront, mostly for the negative. During the Sell fight, White became physical himself.

"I'm serious, I'm not even kidding, I hurt my arm tonight beating on the octagon screaming to stop that fight," White said. "I've never done that in eight years."

But the handling of fights has been an issue for just as long, and it will continue to be. White hinted fans will be seeing much more on the topic during upcoming episodes of the upcoming ninth season of the UFC's reality series, "The Ultimate Fighter," which debuts April 1.

"And wait until 'The Ultimate Fighter' comes out – talking about reffing and judging," White said. "It's one of the hardest things in the sport right now."

A fight stopped too soon

Nelson and Riley entered the Nationwide Arena octagon for the first of the night's 10 fights just after 8 p.m. local time. The lightweight bout matched the more experienced Riley (27-11-1) against Nelson, the "TUF" veteran who entered with a 12-3 record.

Boos, though, soon filled the arena. Ohio-based referee Rick Fike watched Nelson land a hard right hand on Riley then advance on Riley as he tumbled to the ground. Fike quickly stepped in, waving off the bout after just 44 seconds.

Riley jumped up immediately to protest. He took only a few tough punches, and he seemed prepared to fight more. No medical personnel were needed. The arena echoed with the heavy protests.

"It was definitely an early stoppage," Riley told commentator Joe Rogan in the octagon afterward. "Everybody saw me take a whole lot worse than that. I had all my faculties about me then, and I still do."

The fight, though, was over. There were no re-dos, no restarts. It was a win for Nelson, and a loss for Riley, all decided by Fike in a split second.

"It wasn't my call," Nelson told the still-booing crowd over Rogan's microphone. "It was out of my hands if the ref stopped it."

That's true. It was all in Fike's hands, hands that maintain the Madison Combined Martial Arts Association in northeastern Ohio and hands that created Sanchi Ryu, an American form of karate.

Despite his significant martial arts experience, Fike faced the barrage of contempt. He also got a handful of criticism from White afterward.

"It drives me crazy; it's such a personal thing for me," White said. "These guys train so hard. Those two kids have been in camp for six to eight weeks training, they fly out here to fight, and the fight gets stopped like that. Listen, people make mistakes all the time. That was a bad one."

A fight stopped too late

The second mistake was almost worse. The Brown-Sell bout received higher billing on the main card and a place on the live pay-per-view broadcast. Brown dropped Sell early, but Lavigne stepped in to break up the action – though he ultimately let it continue. Once both were set again, Brown again toppled Sell with a right hand and continued the blows.

Somehow, Sell rose again, and Brown continued the punishment. As White throttled the cage and Brown glanced for a reprieve, Lavigne finally called an end to the carnage. Brown was so untouched, in fact, that he was seen ringside not long after the fight ended posing for pictures with fans. Sell, meanwhile, was headed for medical testing.

White acknowledged afterward that the first fight's result – the early stoppage call by Fike – might have factored into Lavigne's patience.

"When they see a guy make a mistake that was a brutal mistake like the one in the first fight, and then it messes with their head and they think, 'I don't wanna do that,'" White said. "These guys just need to be confident, go in and make decisions. Stop the fight. That's your decision. Let them boo you. Who cares?

"There's nobody ... I shouldn't say there's nobody. There are a few [referees] out there who are real good, and there are a whole bunch of guys who aren't."

But the UFC must go on, good referees or no good referees. White and his fellow UFC officials will continue to ask for better fight management while hoping the fights remain fair. They hope the bouts don't end too early and upset the crowd or too late and endanger health.

In the meantime, refereeing will remain an issue, and one White will surely continue to address.

"I hate dogging refs because they have a hard job; I know they have a hard job," White said. "To me, I think there are a couple guys in this business who know what they're doing and go in there and take control and take charge. When you're a referee, your job is to go in, and you're in charge. When you step in there, step in there and stop that fight. Fight's over. That's it. End of story."

UFC 96 salaries: Quinton Jackson earns event-high $325,000 fight purse

Headliner and main-event winner Quinton Jackson, who defeated Keith Jardine via unanimous decision in a "Fight of the Night" performance, earned an event-high $325,000 payday ($100,000 of which was a win bonus) at this past weekend's UFC 96 event.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today received the list of paydays from the Ohio Athletic Commission.

The total disclosed payroll for the March 7 event, which took place at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio, was $762,000.

Other top earners from the event included Brandon Vera ($60,000), Gabriel Gonzaga ($60,000) and Jardine ($55,000).

Not included in the paydays below are the bonus amounts paid out to the night's "Fight Night" winners. Jackson and Jardine both earned $60,000 Fight of the Night bonuses, and Matt Hamill picked up a $60,000 Knockout of the Night award.

The full list of base paydays included:

Quinton Jackson: $325,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus) def. Keith Jardine: $55,000

Shane Carwin: $32,000 (includes $16,000 win bonus) def. Gabriel Gonzaga: $60,000

Matt Brown: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Pete Sell: $12,000

Matt Hamill: $40,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus) def. Mark Munoz: $12,000

Gray Maynard: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Jim Miller: $9,000

Tamdan McCrory: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Ryan Madigan: $3,000

Kendall Grove: $44,000 (includes $22,000 win bonus) def. Jason Day: $5,000

Jason Brilz: $10,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus) def. Tim Boetsch: $12,000

Brandon Vera: $60,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus) def. Michael Patt: $5,000

Shane Nelson: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def. Aaron Riley: $6,000

All of the night's losing fighters could have doubled their salaries with a victory.

Back