UFC 81

Tim had chances early but didn't finish.... still a good night with some decent fights.

3-1 +10.64 units

The lesnar Mir fight was really exciting. Lesnars GnP looked strong but he made an inexperieced mistake and thats all Mir needed. It was funny seeing Stone Cold the Undertaker Sable and Angel in the audience. Ill be looking forward to Lesnars next fight.

Gotta love Nog, took some heavy shots but kept comming and planning. He tried getting Tim on his back several times but it wasnt happening, so he went for the take down but instead pulled Tim onto himself, then made the transition to side control and got the sub. First Pride UFC Champ. Nog looked like a beaten up dog, his one eye is almost always shut and Tims punches didnt help.

Almeidas sub was crazy never seen anything like that, unfortunatly no line was out to bet on. I LOLd at Yundt comment before the fight saying Im gonna knock him out its as simple as that, (if only it was that simple)

Heath looked like garbage but thats to be expected.

Bradley had no chance against Lytle, I actually felt bad for him.

Nakamura really looked like garbage, first time I seen him fight and I doubt he'll be seen again in the UFC, comming down from 170 youd think hed look bigger.

Griffen Tibau was close ill have to rewatch it but Griffen didnt do anything affective on the ground but controled the standup. Tibau looked huge for 155.

Havent seen the beastman Martin fight yet dont know why they showed the nakamura fight and not the beastman fight, makes no sense probably a ploy to try adn get more ppl going to their website and getting ufc on demand.

Anyway as always fun to watch looking forward to the next one.

nice work Dr wilde!!!
you really know this MMA game.... great start to the year! :cheers:

i also thought the Mir fight was highly entertaining and made buying the fight worth it to me. i'll admit i was a bit scared seeing Brock out there looking like a huge beast. he looked pretty good standing a throwing, as well as those vicious hammer fists. Mir did what everyone figured he would do and went for the submissions and locked one up tight and early, and that was all she wrote. i loved it.

as for Nog, that was a great win. congrats to him. Tim had chances to finish it early but didn't put it away. he then let the experienced fighter come back to find a way to get the win over him for the belt. Tim is going to struggle with this loss and i think it will be awhile until we see him getting another fight again.

Guys, don't hate on Lesnar. He trains at the same gym I do (was featured on UFC All Access on Spike on Thursday) and he is a machine. He may not have the submission experience as Mir, but he is a whole lot stronger and hungrier than Mir is. He is easily as strong as a guy that is 320 plus pounds and that will help him in the later part of the match. Mir's best hope is to end it early on the ground, but I think Brock will be throwing haymakers early to set the tone. Mir wants none of this fight.

Dont make baseless comments like this. I think Mir is pretty damn hungry considering what he has fought through just to step foot in the cage again. The guy should be dead or at best walking with a cane. Not fighting on a professional level. And he isnt hungry?

Mir didnt want this fight? He absolutly wanted it. He knew a win would get his name back out there. And he gets a chance to do that against a rookie that knows very little mma and is extremely 1 diminsional.

Pretty weak card. The Mir/Lesanr fight was probably the most exciting 90 seconds that I have watched. The bar I was at was totally electric. 90% had no idea what was going on other than the former WWF wrestler was going to fight. For Mir to withstand the 1st onslaught and pull out a sub was awsome!! Mir has been m favorite HW for a while. Good to see him to get headed in the right direction. Why they put a $250,000/fight rookie with limited knowledge against a style mismatch I have no idea. Other than maybe they think a loss to Mir is not devasting in the long run of his career. Hope they give him a stand up guy next fight.

Sylvia/Nog fight was the best I have een Sylvia in a very long long time. With that loss he actually won.....fans that is. He actually got cheered at the weigh ins and you could here chants of "Lets go Tim" during the fight. I have never witnessed either of those occurences before. But he made a stupid mistake. Going against the caliber of Nog, it is easy to get caught. Nog has an ability to take a beat down and somehow get a win. It has to be hard to look at Nog's face and then look at your face (Sylvia) and accept the fact that you lost.

The next 3 events 82, UFN, then 83 are loaded. Should be a fun 2 months.

thought the stoppage for hits in back of the head was bullshit....and sick of seeing guys get knocked down..no follow up and then the knocked down guy submits him...errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Tim Sylvia, Chris Lytle and Frank Mir each collected $60,000 “Fight Night” bonuses stemming from their performances at UFC 81.MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed the winners and the bonus amounts with sources close to the fighters — with help from our friends at Yahoo! Sports.

Saturday’s event took place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The event aired live on pay-per-view.

Main-event fighters Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Tim Sylvia won Fight of the Night awards, the only bonuses that are awarded to the fight’s winner and loser. Rodrigo survived two rounds of abuse to eventually secure a third-round victory submission via guillotine choke. With the win, Rodrigo earned the UFC’s interim heavyweight title.

Lytle earned the event’s Knockout of the Night bonus for a quick and impressive victory over UFC newcomer Kyle Bradley. As Lytle mentioned in an MMAjunkie.com story earlier this week, he’s adopted a new, go-for-broke fighting style that paid huge dividends at Saturday’s event. Lytle immediately went on the offensive and tagged and dropped his opponent for the knockout victory just 33 seconds into the first round.

Submission of the Night went to Mir, who posted one of the most remarkable come-from-behind victories in recent UFC history. Former WWE performer and decorated collegiate wrestler Brock Lesnar tossed around and battered his opponent. However, on the brink of defeat, Mir grabbed a leg, tripped Lesnar, and secured a knee bar to force the tap-out at 1:30 of the first round.

The $60,000 bonuses are the biggest in UFC history. Recently, the organization issued $35,000 bonuses for UFC 80, $15,000 bonuses for The Ultimate Fighter 6, and $55,000 bonuses for UFC 79.

Despite suffering a first-round submission loss to Frank Mir on Saturday, Brock Lesnar collected a cool quarter-of-a-million dollars in his UFC debut.

The former NCAA Division I national wrestling champion and World Wrestling Entertainment performer was the highest-paid fighter at UFC 81, according to paperwork acquired by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) from the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

UFC 81 took place at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas and aired live on pay-per-view.

Mir earned a base salary of $80,00 for the fight — which was the fourth-highest behind Lesnar and main-event fighters Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira ($200,000) and Tim Sylvia ($100,000).

The total disclosed payroll for the event was $892,000.

The full list of salaries included:
  • Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira ($200,000) def. Tim Sylvia ($100,000)
  • Frank Mir ($80,000) def. Brock Lesnar ($250,000)
  • Nate Marquardt ($52,000) def. Jeremy Horn ($25,000)
  • Ricardo Almeida ($40,000) def. Rob Yundt ($5,000)
  • Tyson Griffin ($36,000) def. Gleison Tibau ($11,000)
  • Chris Lytle ($24,000) def. Kyle Bradley ($4,O00)
  • Tim Boetsch ($12,000) def. David Heath ($6,000)
  • Marvin Eastman ($14,000) def. Terry Martin ($12,000)
  • Rob Emerson ($16,000) def. Keita Nakamura ($5,000)
All the winning fighters received pay that awarded 50 percent “to show” and 50 percent as a “win bonus” — except for Lesnar, who would have earned a $200,000 win bonus.

that is absolutely sick that Lesnar got paid that much as an untested rookie in his first UFC fight..... former HW champs, and proven winners (Nog, Sylvia, Mir), didn't even make close to that much.... that is a disgrace if you ask me....:down2:

The deduction of a point from Lesnar has caused some uproar. I for one thought it was a good job of referring. Here is Mazagotti's (the ref) take I will cut and past the important answers from his interview. The 2 in red are my favorite:

MMAJUNKIE.COM: OK, onto the fight. When we spoke earlier, you mentioned that the decision to deduct Lesnar one point for strikes to the back of Mir’s head was pretty clear. Can you explain?
STEVE MAZZAGATTI: These fighters are extremely skilled fighters, and a grappler like Frank, that’s what they’re trained to do: when you have a guy in half guard on top of you, you don’t want to give the guy room to punch. So that was Mir’s defense. You suck up close to (your opponent’s) chest, tuck yourself up under them, and that covers you from getting hit. At first, Brock started to do the right thing by winding up with the hook from behind and pushing Mir’s head away from his stomach. Then you can blast him in the face… but to have to worry about getting struck in the back in the head in a situation like that isn’t something Frank should have had to worry about. But that was a target that presented itself to Brock.

MMAJUNKIE.COM: Just to be clear, did you think the strikes were intentional?
STEVE MAZZAGATTI: I don’t think it was through any fault of his own. It was just there for him, so he started coming down with that hammerfist. But the back of the head is not a target you can take.

MMAJUNKIE.COM: Did you issue Lesnar a warning? That’s a big part of this whole thing, you know? Some fans think you didn’t issue a warning.
STEVE MAZZAGATTI: Yeah, I did. Brock’s excited. It’s a big, big opportunity for him, and — in my opinion — he looked down and saw the head there, and he took three shots at him and caught him. I jump in and say, “Don’t hit at the back of the head.” A few more seconds go by, Mir tucks up under there again, and Brock comes down with the second couple hits to the back of the head. That’s when I jumped in and had to do my job. That’s what I saw.

MMAJUNKIE.COM: So, just to be perfectly clear, you did issue Lesner a warning before you stopped the fight and deducted a point?
STEVE MAZZAGATTI: Oh yeah, I did.

MMAJUNKIE.COM: Obviously, it can be easy to accidentally hit someone in the back of the head unintentionally if an opponent if flailing around. Where do you draw the line?
STEVE MAZZAGATTI: Accidental strikes happen. But when you look at the back of the guy’s head and connect, it’s, “OK, that might be cool. He didn’t mean it.” Then you hit twice, and it’s time to start considering if you’re doing it intentionally. Then the third one comes down, and that’s when I jump in and say, “No strikes to the back of the head!” as loudly as I possibly can. Brock knows what he did. He has nothing to say about it being controversial. I don’t think his corner protested at all about it. It’s all left to interpretation. But was a foul committed? Yes, it was… If you look at the fight several times, unfortunately, the majority of the powerful shots were to the back of the head.

MMAJUNKIE.COM: Previously, you told me that Mir did what he was supposed to do and that it’s your job to make sure he’s not penalized for that. Can you explain?
STEVE MAZZAGATTI: He did what he was supposed to do under the rules he’s training under — that’s to jump up under there. He was using a lot of skill in doing what he does. He shouldn’t have had to worry about his head being hammerfisted. Unfortunately, that’s what happened to him, and that forced Mir to do something he shouldn’t have to, which is come out of the pocket. When he comes back out of the pocket, that allows Brock to use legal techniques… but he got there by illegal means.

MMAJUNKIE.COM: So, he loses his position? That’s why you restarted them standing?
STEVE MAZZAGATTI: Whenever a foul is committed — whether it’s considered intentional or unintentional — we take the position away, especially if it’s a dominant position. That’s just the way it is and the way it’s always been.

MMAJUNKIE.COM: At any point in the initial exchange, did you consider stopping the fight to award Lesnar the TKO victory? Mir was taking a lot of punishment even without the shots to the back of the head.
STEVE MAZZAGATTI: No, not all.

MMAJUNKIE.COM: So, it was a matter of Mir intelligently defending himself?
STEVE MAZZAGATTI: Absolutely.

Back