UCF - Navy. What am I missing?

M.W.

Parties like it's 1979
My numbers show UCF -25. The line is 7.

Are there injuries? What's going on?

Ucf hadnt seen a option office pzblic roa favorites fenerally a bad idea navy a tough team wspecially at home cmucf rater conservarive offense ucf evena r -7.5 getting to. Uch love

Virginia Cavs either drinking too much with that typing or mixing foreign languages with English again.

You would think that UCF O will have their way with them. But we have the Houston game last year, Cougars rolled in 5-0, -17 and Mids win 46-40. There was some weather involved in that game. Navy also +7 beat Notre Dame, ND was bad last year.

2015 Memphis was 8-0 and -7.5 vs Navy and Navy beat them like a drum.

So I guess there is some recent history that suggests a good Navy team can beat other "better", more athletic teams.

One angle I would like for a UCF bet is the fact that they had GT on the schedule in addition to Navy. They never played GT, but the fact they had two on the schedule perhaps they sprinkled in more option into spring or fall camp.

One angle I would like for a UCF bet is the fact that they had GT on the schedule in addition to Navy. They never played GT, but the fact they had two on the schedule perhaps they sprinkled in more option into spring or fall camp.
Look in CK's thread, good read in there about this game. (with regards to the prep and Frost).

Virginia Cavs either drinking too much with that typing or mixing foreign languages with English again.

You would think that UCF O will have their way with them. But we have the Houston game last year, Cougars rolled in 5-0, -17 and Mids win 46-40. There was some weather involved in that game. Navy also +7 beat Notre Dame, ND was bad last year.

So I guess there is some recent history that suggests a good Navy team can beat other "better", more athletic teams.
In this spot I am not treating history worth much of anything. Almost all the teams described there are completely different today than during those games, including Navy.

History past peeswnt isbwhqr matters. Uxf so diffwrent on 2017 inder frost than in 0214

I would give a big coaching edge to UCF but not having faced the option it is tough to say how they will react. Numbers can kind of get thrown to the wind sometimes in service academy games but I am on ucf -6.5 so I am right there with you. My line is not as high as yours but much higher than the posted.

Coach Ken is a very good coach as well. It isn't like Navy plays the Army schedule that is easier to succeed and maintain success with. Navy plays some teams that they should lose to, and he makes them competitive and sometimes wins.

But yes, I think we all agree, UCF appears to be a very bad matchup for Navy.

In this spot I am not treating history worth much of anything. Almost all the teams described there are completely different today than during those games, including Navy.

yeah, this today 2017 Navy team is better than those 2016 or 2015 Navy teams. So the fact that those Navy teams beat Houston or Memphis I would think that might give you pause.

Now if you want to say that this UCF team is totally different than that Houston or that Memphis team I can see why you might say that.

Frost as the practice team QB getting alot of pub, but think that UCF D might've benefited from a QB they could've actually hit? The one video I saw Frost just ran straight the entire length of the field toward the sideline, that is not what Abey or any of those guys actually do obviously. I mean, the Frost knows option football, even though the Nebraska version he was most familiar with is much different than what Navy does, he knows enough and is smart enough to adapt what he is teaching his guys.

UCF athletically and physically has the edge all around, but that is exactly why Navy runs the option; to minimize/negate that advantage and put their undersized players in a situation that can succeed.

While we aren't counting history for much of anything a Navy team that finished 5-7 almost beat a South Carolina team that finished 11-2. ;) They are a tough out and I think the spread reflects that. Their track record. Might not matter vs UCF. Just trying to offer some explanation.

Don't bring SC into this, that's unneceasary. Gamecocks lost two years ago to the citadel, they obviously don't know how to stop the option. I was never saying they weren't good or didn't have a punchers chance. My numbers just have ucf as a better team despite them having faced lesser opponents other than what appears to be a decent win over Memphis.

My initial comment on history was just saying that was a bit skewed. The navy team that beat Memphis as a 7.5 point dog finished 11-2 that season. They have been good the last few years and I have bet on them plenty. UCF is definitely a different team from when the skeleton of O'Leary was coaching there. Which for a quick note was the reason Spurrier ended up quittting because though he won the game the Gamecocks were losing to that's skeleton at home 10-13 at half as a huge favorite.

I would give a big coaching edge to UCF but not having faced the option it is tough to say how they will react. Numbers can kind of get thrown to the wind sometimes in service academy games but I am on ucf -6.5 so I am right there with you. My line is not as high as yours but much higher than the posted.

Remember that Navy has a home field disadvantage. And that disadvantage is biggest at Homecoming. I have UCF minus 17.5 on a neutral field in a neutral situation. But at Navy at homecoming, they should be -25.

A big monez play public road fave that looks way too easy...ugh just screams trap, always look tte dog and navy is tough even against memphis with all those turnovers, ucf hasnt faced tough competition and i just eeel like navy is worth a shot as home dog!

Remember that Navy has a home field disadvantage. And that disadvantage is biggest at Homecoming. I have UCF minus 17.5 on a neutral field in a neutral situation. But at Navy at homecoming, they should be -25.

That is interesting, I am not familiar with this line of thought. Can you enlighten?

My initial comment on history was just saying that was a bit skewed. The navy team that beat Memphis as a 7.5 point dog finished 11-2 that season. They have been good the last few years and I have bet on them plenty. UCF is definitely a different team from when the skeleton of O'Leary was coaching there. Which for a quick note was the reason Spurrier ended up quittting because though he won the game the Gamecocks were losing to that's skeleton at home 10-13 at half as a huge favorite.

I think we talked past each other a little there. I didn't bring any other UCF team into comparison. Just the 16 Houston and 15 Memphis teams (and the poor 16 ND team). And I think this 2017 Navy team might be better than 2016, doesn't mean they pull a big upset, better teams don't always get better results.

At the end of the day, I don't think any of us are disagreeing. UCF looks like the team that should win and should win by more than a one score margin. I'm just offering a different perspective that the points spread may be what it is based on Navy being a good dog against what appears to be better teams.

Just think UCF line is being shaded because of all the public love that they are getting for beating up cupcakes! WHereas Navy has played poorly but still stood a tough test vs quality opponents like Memphis

Just saying pepoe forget how decent Navy is because of this UCF love, 7.5 is simply an inflated spread especially on the road.

-25 is a ridiculous number even if UCF ends up covering that. 90% of the bets would be on Navy at +25.

How is nav being at home a disadvantage ??

Thy still have to do their military routine during the day of a home game. They get away from that on the road. At least, that 's the common wisdom on why they play better on the road than at home. They also have a long history of not showing up for homecoming games, though I gather they don't miss many homecoming gatherings.

Thy still have to do their military routine during the day of a home game. They get away from that on the road. At least, that 's the common wisdom on why they play better on the road than at home. They also have a long history of not showing up for homecoming games, though I gather they don't miss many homecoming gatherings.
I think you are right there MW, and same applies to Army. Going on the road benefits both of those programs, as the kids are better rested. I've been impressed with the UCF defensive line in all of the games I've watched, and with Frost putting in the extra work on preparing for the option I like their chances today to minimize the option of Navy.

Back