Tuesday 01/22/13 NBA discussion thread

divol

The Spurs can suck my manhood
[TABLE="class: linesTbl, width: 934"]
<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px;">[TR="class: linesHeader"]
[TD="colspan: 8"][h=4]NBA BASKETBALL BASKETBALL - TUE 1/22[/h][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesColumns"]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, colspan: 4, align: center"]GAME[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]HANDICAP[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MONEY LINE[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]TOTAL POINTS[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MORE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt1"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Tue 1/22[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]501[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Boston Celtics[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-4.5 2.000[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Over 191 2.000[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]04:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]502[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Cleveland Cavaliers[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+4.5 1.909[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Under 191 1.909[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt2"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Tue 1/22[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]503[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Orlando Magic[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]+5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Over 197.5 2.020[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]04:35 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]504[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Detroit Pistons[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]-5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Under 197.5 1.885[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Tue 1/22[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]505[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Philadelphia 76ers[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+7 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Over 196.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]05:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]506[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Milwaukee Bucks [/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-7 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Under 196.5 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Tue 1/22[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]507[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Oklahoma City Thunder[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]+2 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Over 201 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]07:35 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]508[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Los Angeles Clippers[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]-2 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Under 201 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Clips look good to me as well. Friday ot at Dallas then Sunday ot at Denver, not the best spot for okc

I dunno about LAC, Paul looked hurt with his knee problem chasing Curry around in the 4thQ. I would take caution with LAC bet...depends on how he's feeling.

What about Boston guys ?

After 3 consecutive loses in a row, Rivers seemed pretty pissed of:
I gotta either find the right combination or the right guys, or we're going to get some guys out of here," said a visibly upset Rivers after the Celtics lost their third straight game

They should match-up with Cleveland pretty well and imo ATS (-4.5) they should cover here.

Thread seems to be starting very poorly. Many LEANS almost no facts and reasoning. Will be back when I have something worth saying.

Thread seems to be starting very poorly. Many LEANS almost no facts and reasoning. Will be back when I have something worth saying.

I will write my view of the Thunder play. Thunder off a loss have a great record in the last two seasons. Can't say the same about the Clippers. CP3 is about 90% of this team and he is injured, so either he misses the game or worse, he plays injured.
Thunder have some revenge here, after barely winning after OT at home earlier this season and struggling against the Clippers last year.
Thunder also half a game ahead of Clippers for the best record in the league and I rate Thunder above Clippers, so while Clippers can win anyone at home, I do feel that Thunder should extend their lead in the first place, not give it up to the Clips.
Should be great game.

tough card IMO. Boston should win but will they cover the 4.5, I'd take it at 3. Think road and recent OT's for OKC will be tough for them to get a win at clippers. Clippers sound good but is CP3 100%? Total seems low to me and kinda tells me clips and under. A lot of questions and haven't found any solid trends which leads me to believe why just the leans are present. Looking forward to your thoughts...

:shake:

so does this trade make sense to anyone outside of finances, atleast from the Grizzlies perspective? I guess Leuer going to be able to contribute right away based on the fact that Memphis won't have much left on the bench.

The Grizzlies have agreed to trade Marreese Speights, Josh Selby, Wayne Ellington and a future draft pick to the Cavs for Jon Leuer, according to various reports.

Picks are also thought to be involved in the deal. It's not quite the blockbuster deal that so many expected the Grizzlies to complete before the trade deadline, but it would be a move that sheds some money off of Memphis' books. Speights would be a solid acquisition for a Cavs team that just lost Anderson Varejao for the season and has the most to gain from a fantasy perspective in this deal.

They just send a huge FU to the whole team. I don't know why they didn't trade Yag instead. I realize that Arthur is back and Bayless can play few minutes, but they traded their best back up big guy and best back up guard for nothing...

Don't know who Leuer is but the cavs won that trade from a talent perspective obviously. Don't know why anybody is surprised. Probably aided by the nba to make the cavs formidable. Cleveland has some great talent. The team just needs to learn how to close out games.

Have no intention of betting this early but there is solid logic to a play on Orlando. Detroit is 4-10 ATS in their last 14 home games. Orlando is playing on the road after 2 home losses. Orlando is 2-1-1 ATS this season after playing on the road after a home loss. Orlando is 13-5 ATS on the road.
Detroit is
1-6 ATS after a 10 point win
1-6 ATS after an upset win
0-3 on Tuesday ATS
7-17 ATS revenging a loss[TABLE="class: days_rest"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH="class: alt"]1 Day Rest[/TH]
[TH="class: alt, colspan: 6"] [/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH="class: alt"]ORL[/TH]
[TD]9-19[/TD]
[TD]14-13-1[/TD]
[TD]95.9[/TD]
[TD]98.6[/TD]
[TD]194.5[/TD]
[TD]15-11[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TH="class: alt"]DET[/TH]
[TD]9-14[/TD]
[TD]9-14-0[/TD]
[TD]95.7[/TD]
[TD]95.6[/TD]
[TD]191.3[/TD]
[TD]11-12[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Problem is there are a lot of trends and some that I do not see right now may be more important

I lean Boston bc they are off 3 straight losses and need this game. Cleveland, first game back off 5 game road trip.

Lean Sixers. Bucks first game back after a 4 game roadie. Refs combined are 35-51 on home team ATS. Home fave of 5-9 points is 10-15 ATS with these refs. I also don't think Milwaukee is 7 points better than Philly.

Brutal stretch for OKC. RW and Durant have combined for 94 and 96 mins played the last 2 games with only 1 day of rest after each.

Thunder are 0-4 ATS in the last 4 meetings in Los Angeles.

Over is 5-1 in the last 6 meetings.
Thunder are 2-5 ATS in the last 7 meetings.

Definitely leaning Orlando. The pistons just came back from London and now have to go on the road after this game to Chicago tomorrow and Miami on Friday...

but then again maybe the over is the better play. Orlando's debsnse is nonexistent

Pau gasol is now a permanent bench player. Are you FUCKING KIDDING me D'antoni? Seriously? Phil Jackson is polishing his rings laughing at this comedy

Bucks and Cleveland play their first home game after 4 and 5 road games trips. Though looking at BC's stats, that doesn't give an edge to one of the teams in each team's game.

Bucks and Cleveland play their first home game after 4 and 5 road games trips. Though looking at BC's stats, that doesn't give an edge to one of the teams in each team's game.

Yeah, I've read through his trends. Been fading teams off 4 and 5 game roadies the past couple weeks (not every time, but most) and it's worked out. Good luck in what you decide.

I'm not touching anything on this card besides the Thunder that I took ML for 2.20 odds the moment it was out.

And it begins again. Fuck.

Source: Nets Preparing To Pursue Trade For Dwight
Jan 22, 2013 11:02 AM EST

The Brooklyn Nets are preparing to make another run at Dwight Howard, according to a source.

Playing in Brooklyn with Deron Williams and Joe Johnson was at the top of Howard’s list last summer and the Nets are convinced that he still has a strong desire to make the Barclays Center his home office. The Nets have played well under P.J. Carlesimo and feel like the addition of Howard could be the piece that gets them to the NBA Finals.

Nets general manager Billy King has closely monitored the struggling Lakers and quietly searched for a third team with an attractive piece that would help facilitate a trade that would deliver Howard to the Nets, according to sources.

The Lakers have struggled through injuries, a coaching change and a lack of chemistry this season. The team is currently 17-24 and facing the reality that missing the playoffs seems inevitable. The feeling out of Brooklyn is that Howard can be had for the right price because of the Lakers’ struggles and long-term commitment to a collection of pieces that just don’t seem to fit or complement Howard’s assortment of skills.

The only missing element was a third team with an attractive piece that would force the Lakers to consider the future of the franchise and directly question Howard about the direction he’s leaning at this point of the season. King, according to sources, was confident that he had a trade proposal that was a perfect fit for all teams involved.

According to sources, King was planning to contact the Minnesota Timberwolves in order to gauge their interest in a three-team trade that would send Kevin Love to the Lakers, Brook Lopez to the Timberwolves and Dwight Howard to the Nets. Other small pieces would need to be included, but the proposed trade was thought to be intriguing enough to start conversations in the Lakers front office that would force them to deal with Howard earlier than planned.

That idea, however, was shelved when Love was sidelined 8-10 weeks with a broken hand. The Nets believed the Lakers would be interested in Love, but not an injured Love, even if they’re facing missing the playoffs, according to sources.

King will still look around for an attractive piece for the Lakers, but won’t make getting Howard as big a priority as last season, according to sources. But he will continue to watch the Lakers and explore intriguing trade options, sources said.

Via Jarrod Rudolph/RealGM
Dwight Howard, Kevin Love, Brook Lopez, Brooklyn Nets, Los Angeles Lakers, Minnesota Timberwolves, NBA, NBA Trade Rumor, NBA Misc Rumor
Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

According to sources, King was planning to contact the Minnesota Timberwolves in order to gauge their interest in a three-team trade that would send Kevin Love to the Lakers, Brook Lopez to the Timberwolves and Dwight Howard to the Nets. Other small pieces would need to be included, but the proposed trade was thought to be intriguing enough to start conversations in the Lakers front office that would force them to deal with Howard earlier than planned.

lol

might as well just contract minnesota if they do that

I would love to get Love for Dwight. But why on earth would Wolves make this trade?
Why would Nets look to trade Lopez, really great Center that proved he can fit the Nets for a players that so far haven't proved he can succeed outside a team built only for him?
I just love watching Lopez play. Don't get me wrong, I believe Dwight is better, but why change what is clearly working.
I think that Nets are second best team in the East without a question.

Why would any team want anything to do with Dwight Howard, he is a cancer imo.... Stan Van gundy has to be laughing all the way to the bank

Nice read about Kobe and the Lakers:

Kobe Bryant's frustration with Lakers' struggles grows: 'This isn't working'

CHICAGO – Everyone else on these Los Angeles Lakers had showered, dressed and bundled themselves to march out into the coldest night across the past two winters here. As the clock lurched past midnight in the losing locker room, the team bus gone, Kobe Bryant still wore his purple and gold jersey inside a tiny cubicle.
For some reason, he was holding onto one more night, one more loss, a little longer on Monday. He had marched past the Michael Jordan statue in the United Center, embraced Scottie Pippen courtside and understood he had never been so far away from those six championship banners hanging above him.
One more to go, and yet Monday night had been another cruel installment that Bryant no longer plays on a championship contender, that the parts, the system, the plan, is spiraling deeper and deeper into the abyss. Seven games under .500, four games out of the playoff picture and an unraveling in the final minutes of a 95-83 loss to the Chicago Bulls.
So far, these Lakers are a failure. So far, a bust.
"Obviously, this isn't working," Bryant told Yahoo! Sports.
[Also: Doc Rivers threatens big changes to Celtics]

Kobe Bryant and the Lakers have dropped to seven games below .500. (AP)
It isn't working for Pau Gasol, who has lost his starting job to Earl Clark. It isn't working for Dwight Howard, who grumbled privately in the locker room over the truths on the stat sheet. Most of all, it isn't working for the Los Angeles Lakers, on course to be remembered as one of pro sports' biggest debacles.
On the issue of coach Mike D'Antoni stripping Gasol of his starting job, Bryant responded with a long, telling silence and smirk when pressed on whether he believed Gasol's benching made these Lakers a better basketball team.
On the issue of Howard's belief that the ball simply doesn't go through him enough on offense, Bryant rejected the premise.
"I've tried to go out of my way to get him the ball," Bryant told Y! Sports. "Sometimes I end up looking like an idiot, because I get up in the air, I've got a shot, but I try to find him. But he thinks I'm going to shoot, so his back is turned. I'm trying to think about getting him the ball a lot – take care of him as much as I possibly can. It takes me out of rhythm a little bit, but I'm fine with that. If that's going to help our team, I'm more than willing to do that."
When Howard did get the ball on Monday, he missed four of eight free throws. He let the Bulls strip him. He missed three of his five shots. His aggression seems to come and go, on offense and defense. Perhaps it's the back; perhaps it's something else.
"I've constantly tried to help him out, tried to talk to him," Bryant said. "Two o'clock in the morning, three o'clock in the morning. Texting him. Sharing reading materials. Anything to try and help him.
"He's coming off a major surgery in a market where it's just merciless; where there's demands and responsibilities of athletes. It's been tough on him."
[Also: Vince Carter wants Hall of Fame consideration]
Deep into the fourth quarter, within a basket, the Lakers crumbled to the Bulls. As one Western Conference assistant coach told Y! Sports, "If you just keep running your stuff, trust your offense, they will eventually break down on defense. You'll get what you want."

Dwight Howard had eight points, nine rebounds and four turnovers against the Bulls. (Getty Images)
This speaks to D'Antoni's inability to cultivate an identity for these Lakers. Bryant wouldn't come right out and declare D'Antoni's system a failure, but he did speak to a need for the coach to find ways to flex everyone's strengths. D'Antoni has a long, stubborn history of forcing talent to fit into his system, and right now that is clearly playing a part in the unraveling of this season.
"We need to go back to basics," Bryant said. "We need to put guys in positions to do what they do best. We need to strip it down. Steve is best in pick-and-roll. Pau is best in the post. I'm best from the free-throw line extended down. Let's go back to basics.
"We've got to evaluate what's going on. Management is looking at it. The players are looking at it. I'm looking at myself. I'm shooting a low percentage right now, and I've got to look at that. It's on me to make shots, but I'm having to make tough shots, getting the ball 30 feet from the basket and [expletive] like that.
"Originally, teams would have to play our pick-and-roll coverage, which left me open on the back side quite a bit. But they've made adjustments, and they've decided to stay home on Kobe no matter what. So I'm trying to space the floor. I'm trying to do my job the best I can. I try to create opportunities. But most of them are trying to take the ball to the basket with four or five seconds left on the [shot] clock, trying to manufacture tough shots.
"Listen, no one is more critical of their game, of how they're playing, than I am. And right now, I've got to shoot at a higher percentage, have to play better. "
[Also: Cavs' Anderson Varejao to miss rest of the season due to blood clot]
It was late Monday, and the No. 24 jersey still stayed on his back inside the arena where No. 23 won those six championships. Kobe Bryant has five titles, and this had been proposed as a season for him to chase his sixth. Bryant had made seven of 22 shots against the Bulls, gone to the free-throw line only three times.
"On me," Bryant would say again. "I've got to find a way to make shots."
Midnight passed, the Lakers bus had left the United Center, and still Bryant sat inside his locker and searched for solutions. Mostly, they were abstract, unrealistic and ultimately at the mercy of D'Antoni valuing victory over the validation of his precious system. These Lakers aren't pursuing a title, but merely the stabilization needed to secure the eighth seed in the Western Conference playoffs.
All alone in the United Center locker room, all his teammates gone, Bryant still hadn't peeled the uniform off his back. He chases ghosts in this gym. He chases the elevated immortality that comes with catching Michael Jordan. In the empty room, in the Lakers' spiral, there were no empty words about chasing a championship.
Another lost night, another embarrassing loss. Bryant stayed back and let it wash over him. Those six Bulls championship banners dangled over him, and never had they felt so distant, so unreachable. Nevertheless, Bryant stayed in the still of the room. Coldest night of the year in Chicago, and Kobe Bryant showed no inclination to hustle out into the winter of his basketball life.

tumblr_mh1bn8bmpC1qznj8ho1_1280.jpg

Mike D'antoni is simply in over his head. This team is not built for his philosophy and he is doing everything his stubborn ass can do to make his philosophy work. Lakers brass better make some changes because this is unacceptable.

At Detroit refs 19-12 for the home team in this range. See them in general as at least a small negative to a play on Orlando. In Detroits last home win vs Boston, SBR has a fairly large play on Boston who got smashed by Detroit. Nothing yet for me.

btw, Heat look like pure fade material in the next two games according with BC's trend - it's for tomorrow, but just putting it out there...

so does this trade make sense to anyone outside of finances, atleast from the Grizzlies perspective? I guess Leuer going to be able to contribute right away based on the fact that Memphis won't have much left on the bench.

The Grizzlies have agreed to trade Marreese Speights, Josh Selby, Wayne Ellington and a future draft pick to the Cavs for Jon Leuer, according to various reports.

Picks are also thought to be involved in the deal. It's not quite the blockbuster deal that so many expected the Grizzlies to complete before the trade deadline, but it would be a move that sheds some money off of Memphis' books. Speights would be a solid acquisition for a Cavs team that just lost Anderson Varejao for the season and has the most to gain from a fantasy perspective in this deal.
That deal makes no sense from a basketball perspective - just a plain old salary dump, I guess. I'll tell you one thing though - considering how much the Grizzlies offense struggles to make it to 90 on most nights, the loss of Speights and Ellington might make even 80 a chore from here on in.

Sources: Jermaine O'Neal has heated confrontation with Suns GM

By Adrian Wojnarowski | Yahoo! Sports – 17 minutes ago
Phoenix Suns center Jermaine O'Neal and general manager Lance Blanks engaged in a blistering, expletive-laced confrontation in the coach's office on Monday, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
"It was really bad," one Suns source said Tuesday afternoon.
The confrontation happened after interim coach Lindsey Hunter's first practice and unfolded within earshot of several Suns players in the locker room, sources said.
[Also: Kobe Bryant's frustration with Lakers' struggles grows]
It was immediately unclear what precipitated the disagreement, sources said, but there has been considerable unrest within the organization. At 13-28, the Suns have the worst record in the Western Conference.
The Arizona Republic reported Tuesday that O'Neal missed practice with an "unstated medical issue" and wouldn't make the team's trip to Sacramento.
Blanks didn't immediately respond to a text message.
The Suns fired coach Alvin Gentry and replaced him with Hunter, who worked in player development and has no coaching background.
O'Neal has averaged 6.4 points and four rebounds a game for the Suns in his 16th season in the NBA.
Other popular content on Yahoo! Sports:
• NFL reinstates Saints head coach Sean Payton
• Senior Bowl report: QBs look to set themselves apart
• Forde Minutes: Butler's flair for the dramatic doesn't faze coach

Certainly were. Gentry gone?
Heavy leans to Cleveland, Bucks minus 7 first quarter and first half , Clippers and possibly Orlando plus 5 for half a unit.
Inital thoughts
With the loss of
CA. Varejao out for season
Lung
01/21/13
Varejao continues to recover from knee surgery but has recently been diagnosed with a blood clot in his lung and will miss the remainder of the season.5-11

<thead>
[TH="colspan: 6"][/TH]

[TH="class: alt"]P[/TH]
[TH="class: alt"]Player[/TH]
[TH="class: alt"]Status[/TH]
[TH="class: alt"]Notes[/TH]
[TH="class: alt"]W/L[/TH]
[TH="class: alt"]O/U[/TH]

</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Think this might be an emotional rallying point for Cleveland
With these refs Boston is 2-7 ATS away with look aheads and is playing very poorly
Last 3 years Boston as a road fav 11-18 ATS
After a loss by 10 or more points Boston 4-9 ATS
Need to look more at this and Cleveland 4th quarter problems but will have something on them

Bucks a 7 point fav
Philadelphia is 2-9 ATS playing b-b and is 8-12 ATS away they also stink on tuesday. They owned the Spurs yesterday and let them win.
Bucks 5-2 ATS last 7
Bucks lost at home last time to Philadelphia and are playing with 2 dats rest where they are 4-3 ATS to Philadelphia 2-9.
Refs poor but not terrible. Tend to think all things concerned betting Philadelphia and going against the BETCRIMES SYSTEM PLAY is farly silly.

Last edited:
Clippers are 19-4 at home
Clippers are 4-1 ATS at home last 5 vs OKC
In their last 4 road games OKC has gone l l c p with 2 over times
Clipper back up point guard has shined in CP's absense
By the way did I mention Boston's next game is vs KNICKS
Really love the way people have moved this line 4 points.
Bottom line Clippers really have a GREAT bench

"I gotta either find the right combination or the right guys, or we're going to get some guys out of here," said a visibly upset Rivers after the Celtics lost their third straight game

They lost on Sunday because Rivers stuck with a terribly ineffective Avery Bradley.

True degenerate style...it's on nba tv too....

under Milwaukee 196 @-115

3units

GL on your plays!

:searching:

Back