Tubbs gone at Auburn?

HookEm811

Auburn radio station reporting Tubs and entire coaching staff fired.
Turner Gill high on the list of replacements.

The AU fans have been in a rage since their first loss. I can only hope the same film man that videod Tony Franklin packing his boxes will do the same with Tubs.

42 total wins from '04 to '07 avg'ing 10.5 wins per yrs. Undefeated in '04. 6 straight wins vs. arch-rival Alabama coming into this season. Quite impressive.

Auburn doesn't seem to like the fact that Urban Meyer and Fla are knocking on the door of their 2nd BCS title game in 3 seasons, Saban is 12-0 in only his 2nd season, and Houston Nutt came in and turned a 3-9 team into an 8-4 team. Perhaps they don't think Tubbs is a good enough recruiter to keep up with those guys.

Either way, I don't care for the direction that college football is heading with these firings of proven head coaches after just one losing season. I don't care for it at all.

Being 35 miled down the road, it is all about Saban. The AU fans do not like the fact that Tubs would rather keep his friends on staff than hire coordinators that know what he hell they are doing. He has let Musschamp, Chizik, Borgeous all go, which were all great coaches. And were on staff for some time during those glory years of 10.5 wins/season. Seeing Saban come in and within 2 years having the Tide ranked #1 in the nation with a shot at another national title is not acceptable to them. The team virtually quit last Saturday, and anyone that watched the game has to agree with that.

yeah they better get used to it. i don't care what coach you bring in... from here on out you aren't gonna get any 5 stars

I love this move...TT is one of the (very) few coaches in the country who have the Gators number...will be much harder to pull off the same "upsets" in Starkville.

yeah they better get used to it. i don't care what coach you bring in... from here on out you aren't gonna get any 5 stars

AL has always had the advantage of tradition to sell to recruits in state. Now they have a coach that was sought after and coached in the NFL. Although he did not do well, he does have the insight of what the pros are looking for. You cannot say the same for AU.

AL has always had the advantage of tradition to sell to recruits in state. Now they have a coach that was sought after and coached in the NFL. Although he did not do well, he does have the insight of what the pros are looking for. You cannot say the same for AU.

:cheers:

Julio Jones should be in Orange & Blue...MFing spread would be 21+....:36_11_6:

Actually should have been garnet and gold. Jimbo could not bring him in. Mobile was always a hot bed for LSU recruits. Sorry bayou tigers not anymore. I hate to say it but Saban has that wrapped too.

Well, the "powers that be" aren't helping matters much by letting Tubs hang all week. You think that this is helping recruiting? I'm sure there's a few blue chippers out there second guessing thier commitment to AU because of this.

I don't understand this from the AU perspective. I'm not sure who they get that would do a better job than Tubberville. I doubt Tommy is too broken up over getting out though.

I think it's quite possible.

Highly unlikely. More likely that he was either fired or 'forced to resign', which are basically the same thing. I'm sure he received a nice compensation package to be sent on his way. Coaches who quit don't usually get those packages.

There is no way he would resign. If he did that he would forfeit the 6 million dollar buy out...That aint happening...Hell I think Tubbs gets a better deal taking 6 million and sitting back next year watching us struggle:whip:

I know many of you are from SEC country...how would you rate the football programs, as far as, being attractive to a HC?

I have LSU, Bama, UF & UGA in tier one...with UT just below, AU & USC below UT...then Arky & Ole Miss...anyone have other opinions?

I'm really interested to hear from some of y'all Southern boys...because although I went to UF and have lived in Florida for 14 years...I'll forever be a transplanted Yankee....:36_11_6:
What I'm pointing out is that I think AU is INSANE as TT had some great years and this smells of desperation in trying to "keep up with the Joneses" (Bama).

Mully

no doubt MM. Players like Auburn because of the guys they've recently put into the NFL, but there is no place in the SE that the school has on lock. too much competition to recruit, not enough booster $$ ot compete with Bama. I would not want to coach Auburn

I know many of you are from SEC country...how would you rate the football programs, as far as, being attractive to a HC?

I have LSU, Bama, UF & UGA in tier one...with UT just below, AU & USC below UT...then Arky & Ole Miss...anyone have other opinions?

I'm really interested to hear from some of y'all Southern boys...because although I went to UF and have lived in Florida for 14 years...I'll forever be a transplanted Yankee....:36_11_6:
What I'm pointing out is that I think AU is INSANE as TT had some great years and this smells of desperation in trying to "keep up with the Joneses" (Bama).

Mully

Not from SEC country so I won't get into this ranking. But TT proved that he is not a good manager of coaches or expectations when it came to Franklin this year. Last year's offense struggled so you bring in Franklin and his offense (limited for bowl, of course) pays dividends. Then, even though anyone who knows football knew it would take a year or so for the new offense to click, TT doesn't even give it a chance and tries to have Franklin run the same failed offense again. Why bring in Franklin and his offense if you won't give it a chance? Then he throws Franklin under the bus for his bad decision.

Just shitty.

Remember TT was on his way out prior to 2003 and saved his career with that season. Probably bought him time until now.

MM - Prolly agree with you there on the rankings but may drop LSU down a bit...They have fallen off

As for Tony Franklin, I think the offense could have worked. problem is no asst coaches knew how to run it and they would not allow franklint obring in coaches who could help him. They used him as the scape goat.
All of the asst coaches needed to be gone last year but oh well...

I dont agree with the firing and I'm a AU fan...Always have been...But he was going to have to clean house with asst coaches and I personally dont believe he was willing to do it. In my opinion, if I knew I was getting 6 million dollars or have to fire my buddies, what would I do?

Just a thought

Mully

The only disagreement I have is the UT job. Tenn. is rich in SEC history, so they have to be mentioned with your tier 1 group. They have unlimited funds to recruit, as they show every year. AU will always be Bama's little brother. Outside of 1957, when AU was Alabama Polytech or something, they do not have a NT to claim.

The one thing that will remain positive about Tubs, is he runs a clean program, or at least he does not get caught cheating. This program was in shambles before he arrived.

Highly unlikely. More likely that he was either fired or 'forced to resign', which are basically the same thing. I'm sure he received a nice compensation package to be sent on his way. Coaches who quit don't usually get those packages.

ESPN just reported that he was fired. He will collect his $6 mil.

I am happy for Tubbs that he'll get his cash and get the hell out of that place and hopefully will land somewhere that can appreciate his coaching talents. It might take a few yrs for the right job to open up, but I believe he'll land on his feet somewhere strong.

He has never been liked there by his own people which is just amazing to me.

Hope they enjoy mediocrity because that is what they will have and that is what they deserve.

When it comes to bad karma for the school and administration this move is the ultimate.

He has never been liked there by his own people which is just amazing to me.

Hope they enjoy mediocrity because that is what they will have and that is what they deserve.

When it comes to bad karma for the school and administration this move is the ultimate.

Well said.

:shake:

Petrino has a clause in his contract that he can't leave for an SEC West school so those rumors need to die.

It's being reported that they have spoken to Mike Leach already. Not sure why I can see Leach at UW but not AU.

Petrino has a clause in his contract that he can't leave for an SEC West school so those rumors need to die.

It's being reported that they have spoken to Mike Leach already. Not sure why I can see Leach at UW but not AU.
Yeah, this has spread like a wild fire in the last couple of hours!

Tommy Tuberville is out at Auburn
Dennis Dodd

Tommy Tuberville is out at Auburn after 10 seasons. While it is not immediately clear if he was fired or resigned, the likeable coach will do just fine. He is owed $6 million in a buyout due in a couple of $3 million installments.

There are no jobs out there at the moment that seem to fit him. Tuberville was rumored to be interested in Clemson but that job just filled with interim coach Dabo Swinney.

The school hasn't waited around. Tubs has spoken to both AD Jay Jacobs and president Jay Gogue since Monday. It has contacted both Mike Leach and Bobby Petrino. Also, Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp told the school no. Auburn may have contacted Steve Spurrier as well.

At this moment, Auburn's top choices seem to be Petrino and Georgia Tech's Paul Johnson. Petrino might be tough to pry loose from Arkansas. He apparently has a non-compete clause in his contract that could be expensive to get out of.

Russ Campbell, Petrino's agent, said he has not been contacted by Auburn and that his client is not a candidate "for any hypothetical opening" Auburn may have.

Also watch for Florida State's Jimbo Fisher to get a call. He has ties to the school.

Fuck you, Auburn. You're too late. You can't get Coach Boom Motherfucker back. We locked him up.

If true, this is one of the most unwarranted firings in recent memory in mind. Seriously WTF do you have to do to keep your job as a college coach. Its totally insane and I hope Auburn goes down the shitter for this to see what another coach can do with this program. Especially now with Saban at Bama

Mully

I disagree with trying to keep up with the Joneses. Tuberville was going to have to fire all but 1 asst coach (Paul rhodes and he is rumored for the Utah St HC job.) So you are looking at replacing a whole new coaching staff and pretty much being in a situation of win or you are out. I will agree that it didnt help Bama beating the shit out of us but even beating Bama and going 6-6 when you were picked to win the West (Pre-season) isnt to impressive. In the SEC, its either win or get run. May not be right but just a fact (with exception of Miss st, vandy and Kent.)

Just my opinion

Petrino is a just being brought up due to Jetgate back in 03 IMO. He wont be a factor at all. Leach may be more of a factor than most think. Here is a quote being reported today on leach:

"An unofficial Auburn representative has already reached out to Leach's camp to gauge his interest, a source said. Leach has told at least three people close to him he would jump at the chance to succeed Tuberville."

MM - Prolly agree with you there on the rankings but may drop LSU down a bit...They have fallen off

WOW. At a time like this Aubbie has the nuts to take a shot at their former daddy. Just because you have a new daddy (BAMA) doesnt mean your old daddy isnt going to kick you in the nuts from now on. Thank you for giving away your only chance to ever win another SEC West conference championship (the pinnacle of Auburn football).

WOW. At a time like this Aubbie has the nuts to take a shot at their former daddy. Just because you have a new daddy (BAMA) doesnt mean your old daddy isnt going to kick you in the nuts from now on. Thank you for giving away your only chance to ever win another SEC West conference championship (the pinnacle of Auburn football).

LOL...LSU has the program and resources but do you honestly think Miles can resurrect LSU to what it used to be in the Saban years? Aubbie's always have the nuts to take shots :) Hell we held up 7 fingers before the bama game. Unfortunately it just meant that was how many L's we had this year:stretcher:

I disagree with trying to keep up with the Joneses. Tuberville was going to have to fire all but 1 asst coach (Paul rhodes and he is rumored for the Utah St HC job.) So you are looking at replacing a whole new coaching staff and pretty much being in a situation of win or you are out. I will agree that it didnt help Bama beating the shit out of us but even beating Bama and going 6-6 when you were picked to win the West (Pre-season) isnt to impressive. In the SEC, its either win or get run. May not be right but just a fact (with exception of Miss st, vandy and Kent.)

Just my opinion

I've been an SEC "follower" for 16 years now and certainly understand this attitude.
My point is that in today's CFB world maybe AU doesn't have the resources or attractiveness to elite HCs to have this attitude (and I was trying to get the opinion of other SEC brethern to see if I was "off base")....:shake:
As a UF alum I can tell you I'm damn happy TT is gone....:tiphat:

Mully

Petrino is a just being brought up due to Jetgate back in 03 IMO. He wont be a factor at all. Leach may be more of a factor than most think. Here is a quote being reported today on leach:

"An unofficial Auburn representative has already reached out to Leach's camp to gauge his interest, a source said. Leach has told at least three people close to him he would jump at the chance to succeed Tuberville."

But do y'all at AU truly believe Leach is an improvement over the proven success of TT in SEC play?

Of course, he could be the next Urban Meyer (and only time will tell)...but the current reality (IMO) is that TT maxed out AU's potential and this move was an over-reaction to Bama's success.

Hey, I'll root for AU over Bama & LSU everytime...lets hope they make a wise decision.

Mully :cheers:

Mully,

I agree with you. I am not sure if Leach would be the best fit although a very interesting replacement. But Auburn has been ranked in the 90-100's in offense production since 2004 and they are looking to have an offense that can produce. I think the name is appealing but AU typically has always had a so-called "yes-man" as a coach.

No matter who they get, there will be growing pains because our talent level is down from previous years and this latest turn of events will hinder great recruits coming in as well. Already had 6 recruits decommit yesterday and today.

Tuberville over a 10 year run will probably go down as a top 3 or 4 coach all time in AU history. Sucks it went down this way but what can ya do. Our board for AU has got to be one of the most screwed up dysfunctional boards in the country. But they have mega $$$'s and wont be run

LSU will be fine come sophomore year of Russell Shepard. The kid just has "it". Most explosive player to come out of Texas since VY.

Leach to Auburn is going to be very interesting. Auburn gets alot of its kids from Florida I believe and many of us Big 12 guys always wondered what his teams would look like with great players on defense and even more speed then they have now.

Crabtree was an exception because he played QB in HS but TT usually gets fourth or fifth dibs on top players from the state of Texas. Leach really does an amazing job with his system and players and I wonder what it'll look like with better athletes across the board.

Harrell was a stud in HS and the only good QB recruit TT has really ever had and look what they did this season. Before Harrell was Kingsbury, Hodges, Cumbie, and Symons...players that he transformed into studs at the college level.

If I'm Auburn Leach is the only guy I go after.

Leach didn't do to bad with Tim Couch in the SEC. Go look back at the numbers Leach put up in his two years at Kentucky.

LSU will be fine come sophomore year of Russell Shepard. The kid just has "it". Most explosive player to come out of Texas since VY.

Leach to Auburn is going to be very interesting. Auburn gets alot of its kids from Florida I believe and many of us Big 12 guys always wondered what his teams would look like with great players on defense and even more speed then they have now.

Crabtree was an exception because he played QB in HS but TT usually gets fourth or fifth dibs on top players from the state of Texas. Leach really does an amazing job with his system and players and I wonder what it'll look like with better athletes across the board.

Harrell was a stud in HS and the only good QB recruit TT has really ever had and look what they did this season. Before Harrell was Kingsbury, Hodges, Cumbie, and Symons...players that he transformed into studs at the college level.

If I'm Auburn Leach is the only guy I go after.

Interesting take...not necessarily saying Leach would not be successful but after what happened to TT (7-3 vs. Bama, 13-0 in '04) how succesful would he have to be to satisfy AU boosters?

I'm currently of the belief that AU boosters are verging on the delusional if they think they'll compete with Bama/LSU (I think LSU just had a "down year") right away or even year-in-year-out going forward.

Only two of AU's 23 '09 recruits are from Florida (10 of 29 in '08, 10 of 30 '07 & 5 of 25 in '06)...but given their now recruiting deficit to Bama and wealth of HS talent in Florida, they'll have to recruit well here to survive as a top program.

I see this move (if it happens) as a definite move up for Leach but a ??? for Auburn (still think it'd be a better hire than Kiffin @ UT...at least Leach has proven himself a winner) and I also believe Leach would be much more successful in the long run going to UDub.

I also see his fantastic numbers while OC at UK...although 5-6 & 7-5 (pretty good records for UK football) while Mumme was cheating his ass off is ?

I just can't see Leach having more success (given the current environment of the SEC West and AU football)...maybe I'm just in love with TT because he's one of the few SEC HCs to have a winning record vs. UF?

Mully :cheers:

Back