Trade deadline...

Avs made a big deal getting Mittlestadt from Buffalo for Byrum.
Florida gets Tarasenko from Ottawa for a 3rd and 4th round pick.
Edmonton gets Henrique and Carrick who I've never heard of from Anaheim for a 24 first round pick and 25 6th round pick.
Avs gets defenseman Sean Walker another guy I've never heard of from Philly for a 25 top ten protected first round pick.

Rangers should sell starting with Trouba and K'Andre Miller and of course Goodrow if anyone would take that scrub but with Drury being locked up doubt it happens.

The NHL trade deadline is not what it used to be. There used to be so many trades, so many big names moving that it was tough to keep up, but also fun to watch and a great day. Now it’s a few moves here and there and not too many big names moving.

There’s also the fact that EVERY GM in hockey acts as if they’re not looking to trade someone (we aren’t making calls about that guy but we are taking calls kinda double speak), and then more times than not that guy IS moved.

Middlestadt here in Buffalo is the perfect example. Just a day or so ago, Kevin Adams specifically said “we are not even thinking about trading Casey, we are more focused on an extension or his next contract.” This is after weeks upon weeks of him and the team saying the same thing, maybe not in so many words. He gone.

Here’s the actual quote from Adams…

Adams reiterated on Sunday the rumors about the team shopping forward Casey Mittelstadt couldn’t be further from the truth. However, he did acknowledge he takes any phone calls that come his way, and that he takes a look at everything

Last edited:
The NHL trade deadline is not what it used to be. There used to be so many trades, so many big names moving that it was tough to keep up, but also fun to watch and a great day. Now it’s a few moves here and there and not too many big names moving.

There’s also the fact that EVERY GM in hockey acts as if they’re not looking to trade someone (we aren’t making calls about that guy but we are taking calls kinda double speak), and then more times than not that guy IS moved.

Middlestadt here in Buffalo is the perfect example. Just a day or so ago, Kevin Adams specifically said “we are not even thinking about trading Casey, we are more focused on an extension or his next contract.” This is after weeks upon weeks of him and the team saying the same thing, maybe not in so many words. He gone.

Here’s the actual quote from Adams…

Adams reiterated on Sunday the rumors about the team shopping forward Casey Mittelstadt couldn’t be further from the truth. However, he did acknowledge he takes any phone calls that come his way, and that he takes a look at everything
That was an incredible trade though

I know byram has had injury issues, but he was the 2nd best player on the avs in the finals 2 years ago, on a team with MacKinnon and makar that should be impossible

Even if that deal doesnt work out, the process behind it is good

Middlestadt is a 2nd line center at best on a contender

Byram has been a top pairing guy on a cup team and is super young

Avs made a big deal getting Mittlestadt from Buffalo for Byrum.
Florida gets Tarasenko from Ottawa for a 3rd and 4th round pick.
Edmonton gets Henrique and Carrick who I've never heard of from Anaheim for a 24 first round pick and 25 6th round pick.
Avs gets defenseman Sean Walker another guy I've never heard of from Philly for a 25 top ten protected first round pick.

Rangers should sell starting with Trouba and K'Andre Miller and of course Goodrow if anyone would take that scrub but with Drury being locked up doubt it happens.
do you at least like rempe?

Craziest rumor up here from tsn is canucks potentially moving lindholm, who they got right before the asg, to boston, and then getting guentzel

Guentzel
Hanafin
Markstrom

3 biggest names left

My guess is guentzel vancouver, hanafin tampa/florida, markstrom is jersey but maybe in summer

Even if that deal doesnt work out, the process behind it is good

Middlestadt is a 2nd line center at best on a contender

Byram has been a top pairing guy on a cup team and is super young
It's also a great move for colorado this year when paired with the walker move though

They got way stronger for this year with middlestadt and walker vs Johansen and byram

Guentzel
Hanafin
Markstrom

3 biggest names left

My guess is guentzel vancouver, hanafin tampa/florida, markstrom is jersey but maybe in summer
If Calgary gives up Markstrom they may as well tear it all down and draft in the top 5 for a few years. Though if they play it right the swamp rats could be desperate for a big overpay considering they might be offering me a contract to play goalie for them soon enough.

If Calgary gives up Markstrom they may as well tear it all down and draft in the top 5 for a few years. Though if they play it right the swamp rats could be desperate for a big overpay considering they might be offering me a contract to play goalie for them soon enough.
They already are though, their fans want it

Lindholm, tanev both already gone

Hanafin is 99% going

Rebuild incoming, they wanna lose to be able to draft tij iginla this year too

50% retained

Great 3rd line center, average 2nd line one
I get the desperation with Chytil out for the season and possibly career ending but this team isn't winning anything so giving away picks is stupid especially with an already nearly empty farm system.

They already are though, their fans want it

Lindholm, tanev both already gone

Hanafin is 99% going

Rebuild incoming, they wanna lose to be able to draft tij iginla this year too
Didn't know that Iginla had such a highly thought of son but it would be nice for Calgary to draft him.

I get the desperation with Chytil out for the season and possibly career ending but this team isn't winning anything so giving away picks is stupid especially with an already nearly empty farm system.
Team is in 1st in metro by like 8 points, of course they have to make moves

Worst thing possible for rangers is if hurricanes get a goalie

I'd want to take advantage of a year they dont have a goalie, cause if they get one in summer they are favorites next year

Worst thing possible for rangers is if hurricanes get a goalie

I'd want to take advantage of a year they dont have a goalie, cause if they get one in summer they are favorites next year
Carolina doesn't scare me at all but the only way the Rangers are a legit threat is for Igor to start playing like a franchise goalie again and Panarin to be the franchise player he was brought in to be in the playoffs when it counts.

Carolina reminds me of those Tennessee Titans teams that would win 12 plus games and then flop in the playoffs. Its a solid team that doesn't have the franchise player teams need to win the Cup.

Carolina reminds me of those Tennessee Titans teams that would win 12 plus games and then flop in the playoffs. Its a solid team that doesn't have the franchise player teams need to win the Cup.
Ya my one issue with them as well, aho is great but hes just a step below, depth is great though and high level

It's why they made a monster offer for petterson last week, which helped csnucks cause it forced petterson to resign now, he wanted to wait for offseason, or else be moved to carolina

Wennenberg pickup for the Rangers was decent at just a 2nd and 4th round pick for a rental.
Team is fighting for the Presidents trophy so no need to make a major shakeup with the lineup, he essentially is a replacement for Bonino who is 6 years younger and a better playmaker. He'll fit right into the 3rd line center position and this way the Rangers don't need to rely on rolling out Edstrom and Rempe every game who are essentially non-factors if the game is tight or behind as Coach sits them. I doubt they re-sign him long term unless indeed Chytill's career is over, as the Rangers have a ton of talent in the pipeline, but not much at center.

That Hanifan pickup for the Knights is big though. Evidently Alec Martinez is either hurt, or just can't play any more so you get a guy that's nearly 10 years younger as a top 4 d-man. Vegas rolls out 6 dmen basically 20mpg as it is, and I think you'll be hardpressed to find a better 6 man unit than Vegas has now. Plus, Hanifan could be a natural replacement for Martinez who is a UFA after this season. May be tough to get under the cap as they have a few offensive players coming due for contracts as well, but the core is in place for this team to go for it this year and next at the least.

Oilers getting Henrique is nice, but not a needle mover, imho. Giving up a 1st rounder for a 34 year old upcoming ufa is not great business.

Also not a fan of the Tarasenko to Panthers move, albeit at a much lower cost. Panthers have great chemistry right now and play a hard two-way game. Tarasenko is still pretty decent and may add a bit of offense on the power play, but it could disrupt the rhythm the top lines had. If Panthers were fighting for a wild card, i'd like it more I guess.

Not sure if anyone is going to pony up for Guentzel or not, but even if they don't, that Penguins team is getting SUPER old in the tooth there, they need to blow it up. They're more than likely not making the playoffs this year and you're telling me this team will be better next year with ALL of their key players 30+ and Crosby, Malkin, Letang all 35+ and under contract for another few years? All the teams below them are much younger and will be more talented within a year or two.

Looks like Tyler Toffoli may get traded from NJ. Not sure how much of a return he'll yield, but he could help a playoff team imho.
I was thinking the other day of the worst contracts out there in the NHL - and my God Timo Meier has to be on the short list. He has 29 points in 49 games this season is a -24 and has been playing pretty much on the top 6 all year. And he's getting paid $8.8 mil for the next 7 years.
Seth Jones is also going to be on my worst contract list. He's eating up over 11% of the Blackhawks cap at $9.5/mil for the next 6-7 years as well and on a team that should be rebuilding, this guy is basically unmovable.
Next guy on my list is Johnny Gaudreau. Maybe it's too early too judge cause the Jackets suck, but this guy is making $9.75/mil for the next 6 years and he's just not a guy that can carry a franchise. He's 30 and at 5'9" 175, not necessarily going to age well. I can see a Patty Verbeek kinda career out of him where he put up nice multiple 35+ goals per year in his 20's and into 30, but after that, you got a whole lotta 15-25 goals per year which is fine, but not at nearly $10/mil year

Also Rangers rumors are going crazy that they are going in for Guentzel, basically to stop Carolina from getting him. Carolina has already waived Lemieux and DeAngelo in what looks like moves to clear some cap space, and him going to Carolina would suck, but giving up what the rumors are (a first and either Othmann or Perrault) would be way way worse. Rangers went for it last year and traded for Tarasenko and Kane for some big top 6 players and lost in the 1st round. They should learn from their mistake and stay pat. This team is a shoe in for the playoffs, more than likely home ice in at least the first round if not the entire playoffs, why fuck up the future.

We'll see how good Guentzel is when he goes from having Crosby as his center to someone like Zibanejad. Holy fuck is Drury an idiot for even considering getting pillaged in a deal like this.

Okposo, as expected gets moved. Traded to Florida, that’s a great move for the Panthers as he’ll contribute to their 3rd/4th line for their anticipated deep playoff run.

Back