JJ McCarthy stans unite thread

Basically in line to be fired. Same as y’all’s boy.
I’m pretty optimistic on DeBoer. Keeping the roster intact to the level he did gives me a lot of hope, because I thought it would be much worse. We’ll see how the 2025 class shapes up as far as his recruiting acumen, but I have little doubt that we’ll have a substantial improvement in the on field coaching. We upgraded at both coordinator positions by a considerable amount.

Who knows how it plays out but I think this is insane when DeBoer has already proven himself as a great coach.
Moore comes in with much lower expectations than DeBoer has imo.

JJ gone. Blake gone. JH gone which is why Moore is there. They just won their first Natty in 26 years (1997 to 2023).

The fanbase is on Cloud 9. Being that I believe they are one of the more *sophisticated* fanbases around and the Univ has a strong focus and reputation on academics as well as sports, I believe Moore will have more patience and grace shown him up there in AA.

DeBoer? Yes, he has proven himself as a coach but let's see how he does at this level (not SD or lower lever CFB) without a gift transfer like Penix coming over as an established guy from IN.

Let's see how he does in recruiting as a guy with literally zero ties to the South.

Let's see how he does following perhaps the GOAT in Saban who went to the CFP 8 of the last 10 years.

There is so much more to this than just who a talented coach may be and what they have proven.

I look at this just like I look at a QB taken in the first round.

I have zero zero zero doubt that Caleb Williams is the most talented QB going into the 2024 draft.

But where he ends up and who he is surrounded by, will likely have more to do with his success than any other factor outside of his talent.

Moore comes in with much lower expectations than DeBoer has imo.

JJ gone. Blake gone. JH gone which is why Moore is there. They just won their first Natty in 26 years (1997 to 2023).

The fanbase is on Cloud 9. Being that I believe they are one of the more *sophisticated* fanbases around and the Univ has a strong focus and reputation on academics as well as sports, I believe Moore will have more patience and grace shown him up there in AA.

DeBoer? Yes, he has proven himself as a coach but let's see how he does at this level (not SD or lower lever CFB) without a gift transfer like Penix coming over as an established guy from IN.

Let's see how he does in recruiting as a guy with literally zero ties to the South.

Let's see how he does following perhaps the GOAT in Saban who went to the CFP 8 of the last 10 years.

There is so much more to this than just who a talented coach may be and what they have proven.

I look at this just like I look at a QB taken in the first round.

I have zero zero zero doubt that Caleb Williams is the most talented QB going into the 2024 draft.

But where he ends up and who he is surrounded by, will likely have more to do with his success than any other factor outside of his talent.
I wouldn't want any part of being the guy after Saban but this hire is as good as it gets. As for Penix it was DeBoer that made him not the other way around.

Good luck to Moore but I just don't think Michigan should be the first head coaching job for anyone.

Penix never really did dick at Indiana. One decent season. He was not a big catch in the portal.
He had a good 2019 and 2020 showing but then dropped off big time in 2021 after injury.

I would say his rise had a lot to do with is maturity and his connecting with Kalen in UW,
coupled with Little to No Defense in the Pac 12 vs where he was in Bloomington in the heart of the B1G.

If not for multiple injuries to his name, he would be a high first round draft choice in April.

The injuries will scare away pro teams.

1706463111285.png

I wouldn't want any part of being the guy after Saban but this hire is as good as it gets. As for Penix it was DeBoer that made him not the other way around.

Good luck to Moore but I just don't think Michigan should be the first head coaching job for anyone.

I understand where you are coming from.

The UM decision makers clearly disagree.

He had a good 2019 and 2020 showing but then dropped off big time in 2021 after injury.

I would say his rise had a lot to do with is maturity and his connecting with Kalen in UW,
coupled with Little to No Defense in the Pac 12 vs where he was in Bloomington in the heart of the B1G.

If not for multiple injuries to his name, he would be a high first round draft choice in April.

The injuries will scare away pro teams.

View attachment 81140

Just far superior coaching and talent to work with in Seattle. That was a big hit for KD and he gets the credit for it imo.

Just far superior coaching and talent to work with in Seattle. That was a big hit for KD and he gets the credit for it imo.
Yes way better coaching than what he had in Bloomington playing under Tom Allen who was a likable guy but not a strong HC by any stretch.

We will find out if Kalen was a two year wonder at UW and is better suited for Small College Ball like SD or if he is the real deal.

He has all of the amenities a CFB coach could ask for at Bama.

There are no excuses not to win after what Saban has rebuilt there the last decade and a half.

Yes way better coaching than what he had in Bloomington playing under Tom Allen who was a likable guy but not a strong HC by any stretch.

We will find out if Kalen was a two year wonder at UW and is better suited for Small College Ball like SD or if he is the real deal.

He has all of the amenities a CFB coach could ask for at Bama.

There are no excuses not to win after what Saban has rebuilt there the last decade and a half.
He seems to have a TON of connections to somewhat nullify that whole small school recruiting mind think from what I've seen. Guessing he'll be leaving most of the recruiting to them, he'll just be the closer.

He seems to have a TON of connections to somewhat nullify that whole small school recruiting mind think from what I've seen. Guessing he'll be leaving most of the recruiting to them, he'll just be the closer.
I am rooting for him.
He seems like a really good guy.
I am just concerned about what he stepped into down there in Tuscaloosa.
I think he will have two seasons to show how strong a replacement he is for the GOAT.
Once those two seasons are up and if they do not make it deep into the playoff in either one,
I think the natives get extremely restless.
2026 would then be a white-hot seat he is sitting on.

As the resident Bama guy here, I will mention a couple of things that should be in DeBoer's favor. One, and most important, Greg Byrne the AD is not going to make rash decisions or be too heavily influenced by the fringe fan base. I am worried that Saban was strong enough to hold off some of the boosters that think they should run things (and did since Bryant), but unclear how DeBoer and Byrne will handle it. I think this is the main benefits for having Saban "around" moving forward. Two, and this is a wild thing for me to say, but the fan base as I see it, has been somewhat reasonable on expectations this last couple of seasons. Now, this doesn't mean that 8-4 or 9-3 is going to be acceptable, but with the 12 team playoff, DeBoer has a 3-4 season runway where making the playoff and being competitive will be enough for job security as long as Byrne is AD. The best thing we ever did was get rid of the Bryant guys running things. Mal Moore was a big Bryant guy, but even he realized that hiring from within the family was not going to work and he saved his legacy by getting Saban. Byrne is not hamstrung by that sentiment, so I think DeBoer will have everything you could ever ask for. I've heard that some of the money guys have stepped up recently, so we should be more competitive in the NIL era without the Saban discount. DeBoer has never coached in this environment before, but he's also never coached with this amount of talent and support either. I would be surprised if he's not successful. Yes, the fans will be disappointed that he's not Saban, but as long as the administration stays strong, I see no reason why we won't continue to compete for SEC and CFP championships

JJ Pro Day Prop Reactions (per Twitter “scouts”)

“He can make all the throws” -250

“He’s Much More Athletic Than He Looks” -600

“Teams are going to be fighting to grab him” -1000
“Michigan’s Offense Held Him Back” -20000

JJ Pro Day Prop Reactions (per Twitter “scouts”)

“He can make all the throws” -250

“He’s Much More Athletic Than He Looks” -600

“Teams are going to be fighting to grab him” -1000
“Michigan’s Offense Held Him Back” -20000

Truth !

Kliff is gonna have a huge say in who they take at #2, that's the wildcard. Hard to know what his vision is after he and Kyler was a failed experiment
The hacks on NFL Network saying their is sentiment around the league that he's going to Wash. Who knows?

Back