top 5 NFL backs of all time.

• Thread starter Thread starter Mo
  • Start date Start date
I think Brown, Sweetness, and Simpson are a nice start to the Mt. Rushmore of running backs. Gets tougher figuring out the next couple. (And yes, I realize Mt. Rushmore has only four heads.)

Smoke doesn't seem to be around, so I'll put his two cents in for Wilbert Montgomery, Ricky Watters, Charlie Garner, Shady, and I can't remember the good one right before Shady for some reason.

^Now he kind of fizzled. Few good/great years. Got old and slow in a hurry.

Emmitt shouldn't be in anyone's top 5..

With the offensive line he had?

Emmitt shouldn't be in anyone's top 5..

With the offensive line he had?

Get tha fuck outta here. Longevity and productivity. It says something when a diehard skins fan who hates Americas team like silky, has emmitt in his top 5.

Aside from the great O-line, Emmitt was a great overall runner...shook off tacklers with the best, was great at turning a 5 or 6 yard gain into a 15 or 20 yard gain. I think he may be somewhat undervalued simply because he had a great O-line. Certainly can't fault him for that, imo.

Jim Brown averaged over 5 ypc for his career against defenses designed to stop him. He was never not the best player in football from rookie year to retirement. And I think he may have banged Rachel Welch. End of thread.

Also never missed a game, played every single 1 of em. Mindboggling

Orenthal had the amazing 2k yr in 14gms & 2 other sterling yrs, so he can get some love, but the guy also had ALOT of stinkers too. To be the greatest to me you gotta have more than 3 sterling yrs & 2 above avg yrs. he failed to crack 800 in 6 of 11 seasons, but 2,003 was simply incredible. Especially when he doubled the next highest rushers total. Just can't put him top 5.

Orenthal had the amazing 2k yr in 14gms & 2 other sterling yrs, so he can get some love, but the guy also had ALOT of stinkers too. To be the greatest to me you gotta have more than 3 sterling yrs & 2 above avg yrs. he failed to crack 800 in 6 of 11 seasons, but 2,003 was simply incredible. Especially when he doubled the next highest rushers total. Just can't put him top 5.

Probably right. Maybe he belongs in the shooting star group. He was iconic though.

This man may have cracked the top 5 ever if his knee didn't blow up

$(KGrHqNHJF!FIHjCRhqbBSC+ueHy6Q~~_35.JPG

Outside of the debate...

Barry did that as well.

20 carries for 53 yards first 2 games of '97.

2000 exactly the last 14, amazing.

2053 total.

I don't think he should make the list by any means but I was shocked to see Curtis Martin at #4 on the all-time yards list. Still pissed at him for going to NYJ, dick.

C-Mart was a dependable plow horse. Is hard to believe he's #4 in yards. 4 yards at a time.

Also woulda been nice to see Herschel in the NFL w/o 1150 carries on the odometer from the USFL. Dude's 1st 2ssn in the NFL 1628yds on 360att (basically 1 normal RBs season). 1st ssn started just 9gms splitting with Dorsett, (737yds on 151att 4.8ypa) & 2nd San was strike shortened 87 still splitting with TD (891yds on 209att). I mean they ran the tread off the man in the USFL, damn near 400att a year. Above 370 is normally the workload that kills a back, either an injury or severe decline in the next couple seasons. He went over 410 2x in 3yrs!! Lol. Still had a helluva career but just wonder what not wasting his youth (21-23) in the USFL woulda meant.

Also woulda been nice to see Herschel in the NFL w/o 1150 carries on the odometer from the USFL. Dude's 1st 2ssn in the NFL 1628yds on 360att (basically 1 normal RBs season). 1st ssn started just 9gms splitting with Dorsett, (737yds on 151att 4.8ypa) & 2nd San was strike shortened 87 still splitting with TD (891yds on 209att). I mean they ran the tread off the man in the USFL, damn near 400att a year. Above 370 is normally the workload that kills a back, either an injury or severe decline in the next couple seasons. He went over 410 2x in 3yrs!! Lol. Still had a helluva career but just wonder what not wasting his youth (21-23) in the USFL woulda meant.

Had him in my mind as well, was the best college RB I ever saw.

Herschel was a freak. Fast as hell too, I believe he ran the 100 at Georgia. Never touched a weight. Push-ups, sit-ups, and livin' right.

Totally forgot Billy Sims. Shifty motherfucker.

Anyone remember Greg Pruitt? I think he single-handedly illegalized the tear-away jersey in the NFL.

Herschel was a freak. Fast as hell too, I believe he ran the 100 at Georgia. Never touched a weight. Push-ups, sit-ups, and livin' right.

Thousands a day of each. That man was tha OG beast. He's talked about bein tha oldest to play in tha nfl, I wouldn't be shocked if he still could play to this day in tha shape he's in.

Back