top 5 NFL backs of all time.

• Thread starter Thread starter Mo
  • Start date Start date
Barry 1
Walter 2
...the rest.

How the fuck do you put a dude that never threw a block and couldn't get you a 3rd and 3 or less as the #1 back ???

Jim Brown is #1 or this isn't a serious discussion.

fill in 2-5

I'll go

Walter
Emmitt
AP
Marshall Faulk

How the fuck do you put a dude that never threw a block and couldn't get you a 3rd and 3 or less as the #1 back ???

Jim Brown is #1 or this isn't a serious discussion.

fill in 2-5

I'll go

Walter
Emmitt
AP
Marshall Faulk

It's quite simple. Type it into the text field, and click Submit Reply.

It's truly not difficult at all.

1. Walter Payton
2. Jim Brown
3. Barry Sanders
4. LaDanian Tomlinson
5. Marshall Faulk

Honorable Mention
Emmitt Smith, Adrian Peterson

Jim was a baaaaad man

1963: 14gms 1863yds 6.4ypc 133ypg on 20.8 att/gm!!! GTFOH

dude put up THAT season on <21att/gm. Sick!
Just 1 time in his entire career did even ever carry the ball >30att. Just think about how dominant that is

lol he had a 20att 232yd game!!! Just ridiculous

Earl Campbell was a fucking beast. His style and knees wouldn't allow for longevity, but him and Bo Jackson were the guys I truly loved to watch.

I wonder if Barry would have had the same stats if he played on grass. I always think of him as a product of turf.

Walter #1 for me

Good topic. How Thurman Thomas hasn't been mentioned has me perplexed. For as good as Emmitt Smith was from 1991-1995, Thurman was every bit as good, if not better from 1989-1993.

To think that Barry and Thurman were in the same backfield in college is quite remarkable as well.

Jim Brown gets his own private list. No one even close. Also regarded as on of the all time greats in lacrosse. Tad before my time though.

Loved Sweetness and Earl Campbell as a kid. And what, no love for the Nordberg? Sure, he got away with murder, but what a running back in his prime.

Think AP holds the current title, but sun's probably about to set on him.

Barry
Jim Brown
Walter Payton

To be continued...

AP could be up there, depends how long he keeps this up. Marshall Faulk, close. Emmitt - Nah, O-line made him. Other guys, I'm probably just too young to comment.

Barry was the best I ever seen play in my lifetime.

Good topic. How Thurman Thomas hasn't been mentioned has me perplexed. For as good as Emmitt Smith was from 1991-1995, Thurman was every bit as good, if not better from 1989-1993.

To think that Barry and Thurman were in the same backfield in college is quite remarkable as well.

I loved Thurman, but Emmitt has better numbers in a similar time period.

obviously ignorant regarding players from the way past but peterson in his prime is my #1. to do what he did vs modern defense with no threat at quarterback is incredible.

Smith and Thomas played in complete offenses. I think that opened up the box for them... Honorable mention. Not good with the old dudes.

Jim Brown averaged over 5 ypc for his career against defenses designed to stop him. He was never not the best player in football from rookie year to retirement. And I think he may have banged Rachel Welch. End of thread.

I meant Raquel. I can't edit on this new mobile, steedo.

half the guys, on half your lists, most of you have never seen play. Only guys like tip and BAR have actually seen Jim Brown play.

Dickerson another sick ass RB. The ONLY RB to pass 13k yds on <3k carries. Only 1RB with >13k has a higher ypc (Barry Sanders). His 248yd playoff game vs the Cowboys is a record that may never fall. Contract disputes , suspensions & injury probably robbed him of at least parts of 3 of his most productive yrs (I'm not mad at the contract ish, looks now like he was a visionary, getting all the RB MONEY while you can has turned out shrewd), the guy was a complete boss at a time there were a ton of posers. Simply from 83-90, he did the things people gush over AP for (except the running over ppl part) and did it with a Jheri curl & like 3plays. Sick sick man

[video=youtube_share;VMBRwbt9y2U]http://youtu.be/VMBRwbt9y2U[/video]

half the guys, on half your lists, most of you have never seen play. Only guys like tip and BAR have actually seen Jim Brown play.

So if you've never seen someone play you can't have them on a list? Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb are out of the convo in MLB then huh? Won't be long before Mantle and Teddy Ballgame are out of the convo themselves.

So if you've never seen someone play you can't have them on a list? Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb are out of the convo in MLB then huh? Won't be long before Mantle and Teddy Ballgame are out of the convo themselves.

Yeah, huh?

Easy, Alex. Jim Brown retired on top three or four years before I was born. I've seen the grainy highlights. And he's remembered pretty fondly around these parts. Still the only player in NFL history to average over 100 ypg for a career, I believe. Also may have thrown a woman off a balcony.

Brown has a sordid history of violence against women. The balcony girl didn't name him, or press charges, or whatever she would have had to do to get him in trouble. I think he also smacked around a guy with a golf club once. Best football player ever, but not the best guy.

Brown has a sordid history of violence against women. The balcony girl didn't name him, or press charges, or whatever she would have had to do to get him in trouble. I think he also smacked around a guy with a golf club once. Best football player ever, but not the best guy.

There's a bunch of those guys out there. They play football, doesn't mean they are good guys.

Eric Moulds hung a girl out a window at a local hotel, while he was holding her ankles....then Jim Kelly was trying to pick her up (yes, the same girl) while she was tending bar at a local Chippewa bar while his wife was in Florida with their son Hunter, as he was undergoing treatment. Funny story about that night, my buddies and I were doing shots upon shots and sharing with everyone (we worked downtown so we knew everyone in the bars and got treated well)....we gave a shot or 2 to Jim Kelly and the guys he was with...he had been hitting on the girl tending bar, but she clearly wasn't interested....he ends up writing down his phone # and trying to give it to her....well I'm pretty sauced at this point, so I offer him another shot (trying to get him to stop hitting on this friend of ours), which he declines....I give him the ol' slap on the back and say "come on Jimbo, do one more with us." Well, Jimbo didn't like that too much, grabbed me by the collar and forcefully told me he didn't want anymore shots. Everyone gets involved at this point, the bouncers come over.....and ask Jim Kelly and his friends to politely leave the bar.

Jim has changed tremendously since those days, and I wish him nothing but the best in his fight with cancer, but that's a pretty good story nonetheless.

There's a bunch of those guys out there. They play football, doesn't mean they are good guys.

Eric Moulds hung a girl out a window at a local hotel, while he was holding her ankles....then Jim Kelly was trying to pick her up (yes, the same girl) while she was tending bar at a local Chippewa bar while his wife was in Florida with their son Hunter, as he was undergoing treatment. Funny story about that night, my buddies and I were doing shots upon shots and sharing with everyone (we worked downtown so we knew everyone in the bars and got treated well)....we gave a shot or 2 to Jim Kelly and the guys he was with...he had been hitting on the girl tending bar, but she clearly wasn't interested....he ends up writing down his phone # and trying to give it to her....well I'm pretty sauced at this point, so I offer him another shot (trying to get him to stop hitting on this friend of ours), which he declines....I give him the ol' slap on the back and say "come on Jimbo, do one more with us." Well, Jimbo didn't like that too much, grabbed me by the collar and forcefully told me he didn't want anymore shots. Everyone gets involved at this point, the bouncers come over.....and ask Jim Kelly and his friends to politely leave the bar.

Jim has changed tremendously since those days, and I wish him nothing but the best in his fight with cancer, but that's a pretty good story nonetheless.

Good story. I can't even come close. Frank Viola threw his chew at me in his Red Sox days for incessant heckling in an empty park. He missed, so I let him hear about that too.

No mention of Tony Dorsett yet either. He was pretty damn good. Marcus Allen?

And so many guys with shorter windows who were fun to watch. Campbell was mentioned. Roger Craig. John Riggins. Larry Czonka. Hell, Chuck Muncie was a beast with Air Coryell.

Ford-Bronco.jpeg

I mentioned him, Gorgy. If I really, really came up with a top 5, almost an impossible task, the Juice might make it.

I think the guys in the 70's and 80's have an edge here, it was more a runner's league outside of a couple teams, and there were more feature backs. Almost no one gets 25 carries anymore.

Back