Top 30 Offensive Line units...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
This is the fourth in a series of 11 units where I project my Top-30 units at each position going into the start of fall camp.

Remember, this is not just the best player, but the best units. O-Line is so difficult because you cannot control injuries. Some teams are solid 5-6 deep but an injury or two would cripple them. I can't guess that. I just do the best I can with what I have (haha, said that in the bedroom a time or two, lol)...

Here's my Top 30 at O-Line.

1. Texas
2. Purdue
3. Oregon
4. Clemson
5. Texas A&M
6. Ohio State
7. Northwestern
8. Arkansas
9. Iowa
10. Notre Dame
11. Southern Cal
12. Missouri
13. Boston College
14. Auburn
15. Maryland
16. Brigham Young
17. Arizona State
18. Fresno State
19. West Virginia
20. Toledo
21. Georgia Tech
22. Alabama-Birmingham
23. Boise State
24. Rutgers
25. Louisiana State
26. Michigan
27. Texas Tech
28. Alabama
29. Tennessee
30. Oregon State

Thoughts, comments, etc., all welcome and appreciated...

:cheers:

This is going to be the great part about watching the Texas/tOSU game...I honestly think they are 1 and 2 and this spot, w/ Texas holding the slight advantage...but very slight...

tOSU lost two 5th year seniors, one being first round Pick Nick Mangold to the draft...but this group is considered better this year...Datish moves to center and will be first team Big Ten...LT Alex Boone, had dropped 50 LBs and looks like a DE this year...he looks great and is a mountain...his just a soph, and may be All American this year..

It's also a very deep group too, with two deeps everywhere and 3 deeps at both Guard spots that the coaches think can all start..

JumpOnBoard said:
This is going to be the great part about watching the Texas/tOSU game...I honestly think they are 1 and 2 and this spot, w/ Texas holding the slight advantage...but very slight...

tOSU lost two 5th year seniors, one being first round Pick Nick Mangold to the draft...but this group is considered better this year...Datish moves to center and will be first team Big Ten...LT Alex Boone, had dropped 50 LBs and looks like a DE this year...he looks great and is a mountain...his just a soph, and may be All American this year..

It's also a very deep group too, with two deeps everywhere and 3 deeps at both Guard spots that the coaches think can all start..

Let's see who has the advantage at DL. My guess is that Texas will be #1 or #2 with Ohio State in the top 10 somewhere.

This is like the mirror image of the UT-OU matchup (both have top DLs, but Texas has the clear OL advantage).

Dude...tOSU has the best OLine they've had in ten years...it's not a clear advantage...like I said, Texas is 1, tOsu number 2 in my book...

and DL is the strength of our D this year..Pitcock and Patterson will be first team Big Ten at DT...and we're 4 deep at DE...Gholston and Wilson will start, w/ Richardson and 5 star Robert Rose too...

I would give slight advantage in both spots to Texas...that's the strength of there team for sure...but very slight.

Where's Oklahoma in this poll??
new_shocked.gif

(Just kidding.
grins.gif
)

JumpOnBoard said:
Dude...tOSU has the best OLine they've had in ten years...it's not a clear advantage...like I said, Texas is 1, tOsu number 2 in my book...

and DL is the strength of our D this year..Pitcock and Patterson will be first team Big Ten at DT...and we're 4 deep at DE...Gholston and Wilson will start, w/ Richardson and 5 star Robert Rose too...

I would give slight advantage in both spots to Texas...that's the strength of there team for sure...but very slight.

DL is where the difference will be, not OL. I'll go ahead and say that both teams have very good OLs.

DL is the strength of the D for tOSU but Texas has the #1 or #2 DL in the country (depends on where you put OU).

I think tOSU and Texas is gonna be another battle. We should have taken care of business last year and didnt. We will be out for revenge....and revenge is so sweet.:drink:

Well they better get some other tackle then Kirk Barton on Tim Crowder this year. Crowder ate him up last year year in that game. Numerous hurries, 7 tackles, 4 TFL, and 2 sacks.

God i can't wait for that game.

OSU could be a little higher, but I think sixth is about right. They lost two to the draft last year and three good backups. They've not done better than 4.3 ypc in 2002 since 1998 until the 4.7 last year (credit Smith for much of the rushing success, though)... so their running game hasn't been consistently as strong as you might believe. They are also a little less experienced but their talent makes up for it enough to merit them No. 6 in my opinion...

You guys are gonna find a way to match up OSU and Texas in all these fuckers, aren't ya?

:an_roll_laugh:

three good backups?? Who are those Rex??

Mangold and Sims is all we lost....Tyree is the only other offensive lineman graduated, and he was as buried as they get...

I agree w/ your assessment...I think that the improvement you'll see from Boone bumps em up...this dude is a mountain..6'8 and athletic..

Also just found out today in what is a pretty big surprise is T Justin Blaylock who almost on every publication you read is listed as the top T in the country is going to be playing guard in the tOSU game and RSFR (really soph he has a medical RS) Adam Ulatoski is moving outside. Ulatoski is a monster and has been tearing up camp. His play has allowed Blaylock to move inside which was the only weakness on the Horn OL. Plus I'm sure it has to do with him now being matched up with Pittcock.

SHSUHorn said:
Also just found out today in what is a pretty big surprise is T Justin Blaylock who almost on every publication you read is listed as the top T in the country is going to be playing guard in the tOSU game and RSFR (really soph he has a medical RS) Adam Ulatoski is moving outside. Ulatoski is a monster and has been tearing up camp. His play has allowed Blaylock to move inside which was the only weakness on the Horn OL. Plus I'm sure it has to do with him now being matched up with Pittcock.

Horn--The talk around the boards is that Blalock and Ulatoski will switch off between T and G depending on games and situations. Any word on that?

Conroy, Winner and Tyree all saw time last year, correct? If my notes are correct...

I also would have had them a tad lower but I do like Jim Bollman, their O-line coach who has been with Tressel since Youngstown (he was the DC there AND the OC there in the late-80s)...

CollegeKingRex said:
OSU could be a little higher, but I think sixth is about right. They lost two to the draft last year and three good backups. They've not done better than 4.3 ypc in 2002 since 1998 until the 4.7 last year (credit Smith for much of the rushing success, though)... so their running game hasn't been consistently as strong as you might believe. They are also a little less experienced but their talent makes up for it enough to merit them No. 6 in my opinion...

You guys are gonna find a way to match up OSU and Texas in all these fuckers, aren't ya?

:an_roll_laugh:

Yes, they will!!
evillol.gif

Just wait until you see the fight that issues whenever you put your "defensive line" or "defensive anything" up here and Oklahoma is ranked over Texas in every category. The hollering will commence then as well.
superbiggrin.gif

“Ulatoski is playing great, and we’re really excited about him and the progress he’s made,” Brown said. “Cedric Dockery is coming on. Charlie Tanner, Chris Hall and Dallas Griffin are all in that group, but we’re most pleased right now with Adam’s progress. He’s really stepped up. If we started today, he would be the right tackle and Justin (Blalock) would move to guard.

SHSUHorn said:
Well they better get some other tackle then Kirk Barton on Tim Crowder this year. Crowder ate him up last year year in that game. Numerous hurries, 7 tackles, 4 TFL, and 2 sacks.

God i can't wait for that game.

He was real disruptive that game...Barton played tackle and guard.....Two deep for Bucks:

LT: Alex Boone 6'8 325 SO
Steve Rehring 6'8 329 SO

LG: Tim Schaeffer 6'5 290 R-SR
Jon Skinner 6'5 300 SO

C: Doug Datish 6'5 290 R -SR

RG: TJ Downing 6'4 305 R-SR
Kyle Mitchum 6'5 300 SO

RT: Kirk Barton 6'6 310 JR
Josh Kerr 6'5 283 FR

CollegeKingRex said:
Conroy, Winner and Tyree all saw time last year, correct? If my notes are correct...

I also would have had them a tad lower but I do like Jim Bollman, their O-line coach who has been with Tressel since Youngstown (he was the DC there AND the OC there in the late-80s)...

You're talking late Illinois action Rex...you're notes are correct as far as graduating...but they weren't in the two deep...barely in the three deep..

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=145&p=8&c=2&nid=687&csid=null&yr=2005

JOB--Tell me a little about Boone and Rehring. Big boys but young. Looks like the least experienced piece of the line.

Also, how deep are you at center?

Jump: Looking for a few names I saw on the 2-deep out of spring...

Cordle was groomed as Mangold's heir apparent a C, I thought?

Person didn't allow a sack his last two years of HS. Where is he?

I had heard Connor Smith was gonna get a long look at playing as a TRUE, he was Gatorade Ohio POY in 05 and enrolled in spring.

rjurewitz said:
JOB--Tell me a little about Boone and Rehring. Big boys but young. Looks like the least experienced piece of the line.

Also, how deep are you at center?

Boone is the biggest tackle recruit we've had since Pace...he's a can't miss..he was 350 last year and just came out that he had alcohol problem...got DUI in spring...almost got kicked off...they gave him choice..he's in AA and has dropped 50 lbs...he looks amazing and quick I guess..he says it was beer weight...Rehring is a big recruit too, but has Boone in front of him...they want him on the field, but he can't get past Boone...

JumpOnBoard said:
Boone is the biggest tackle recruit we've had since Pace...he's a can't miss..he was 350 last year and just came out that he had alcohol problem...got DUI in spring...almost got kicked off...they gave him choice..he's in AA and has dropped 50 lbs...he looks amazing and quick I guess..he says it was beer weight...Rehring is a big recruit too, but has Boone in front of him...they want him on the field, but he can't get past Boone...

I wasn't placing Boone for some reason. Yeah, he just came out and admitted that he had an Andre the Giant drinking problem (30-40 beers a day).

What about depth at C?

CollegeKingRex said:
Jump: Looking for a few names I saw on the 2-deep out of spring...

Cordle was groomed as Mangold's heir apparent a C, I thought?

Person didn't allow a sack his last two years of HS. Where is he?

I had heard Connor Smith was gonna get a long look at playing as a TRUE, he was Gatorade Ohio POY in 05 and enrolled in spring.

Smith is going to redshirt...he's not ready yet...too much baby fat...

Cordle is a redshirt freshman, but the backup is Tyler Whaley, redshirt JR from Ironton...Cordle is good though..but they like Datish versatility and gives us much more size at guard...this is a huge line...

Person is redshirt SO...but I think he's been alittle disappointed...he's in the top 11 mix, but I think he's fading back...

Depth has been an issue on Ohio State's offensive line the past five seasons. But this year, O-Line coach Jim Bollman says he has up to 11 players ready to go. And the Buckeyes aren't just deep, they are experienced and talented. We caught up with Bollman for his thoughts on the battle at left guard and much more.

With three returning starters and three other players with a lot of experience, Jim Bollman is excited about the potential of his offensive line.
But Ohio State’s offensive coordinator is tempering his excitement until he sees the group help lead the Buckeyes to victories.

“Let’s wait until we win a few games,” he said. “Until then, it’s purely conjecture.”

But Bollman knows this could be the best unit he has coached at Ohio State, due to both the group’s quality and quantity.

“Well, I think that we have a chance to have a lot more depth than we’ve had,” Bollman said. “There’s 11 guys right now in the mix of things. And we’ll see how things really play out as it goes, but that’s a lot of guys. That’s definitely more than we’ve had since I’ve been here. And I think that the seniors have done a great job this summer getting ready to play. I think they’ll do a good job as leaders. And I think we have some guys who have a lot of potential. Let me say that, but it’s just empty words at the moment.

“The bottom line is that those guys need to do the job to let our skilled guys operate. We’ve got some pretty good skilled guys and we have to give those guys a chance.”

Just more than a week into preseason camp, Bollman is feeling good about the way things are falling into place on the O-line.

“I think things are starting to take shape a little more,” he said. “We didn’t have a lot of building process in the spring with Doug (Datish) and too many people out. But now that Doug is back at center, you can tell the experience right away with the communication and things that are going on. That helps everybody along. We won’t be entirely settled in until we make the final decision of who is going to be in that left guard spot. And I don’t think we’ll do that until after the scrimmage on Saturday.”

There is a heated three-man competition for the left guard position between senior Tim Schaeffer and sophomores Steve Rehring and Jon Skinner. And from all indications, Schafer is the man to beat.

“Well, Tim has the most experience out of those guys,” Bollman said. “Tim started a half a year for us at right tackle (in 2004) and he’s got a lot of experience of being in the heat in that regard. He’s had a great summer this year and has done a real good job of preparing for his senior year and really looks good so far.

“Steve Rehring has played the next most. He’s played mostly at left tackle, but has also played some guard. He was getting ready to play a lot of guard for us last year and was going to be in the rotation before he got sick. It’s great to have those guys in there who have that experience already.

“And Jon Skinner showed a lot in the spring and actually really started to show in bowl practice last year. That’s when he really started to show up and prove that he could contribute and play.
“And two guys who have really caught my eye and looked like they’ve improved – and it’s still early, but I’m just telling you what I know right now – is Ben Person and Kyle Mitchum. Those guys are really doing a good job so far. So it will be interesting to see how camp rolls on how things evolve.”

Schafer has been receiving the most reps with the first team offense and Bollman has been very pleased with what he has seen out of him thus far.
“Tim had a great summer, he’s in great shape and I think so far this fall he’s been playing very well,” Bollman said. “He is right in the middle of that mix, believe me. I think Tim is doing a good job. I really think he is. He’s persevered and is focused on what he wants to do. He obviously wants to contribute this year. And wherever he’s playing – whether it’s a backup tackle spot, or rotating in at starting left guard – he’s doing a good job.
“And I know that the other guys would be capable, but we’re trying to get our five best linemen on the field. Steve Rehring, Jon and he have been working in there and I wouldn’t rule any of them out. However it evolves in terms of who is the starter, the other guys are going to have to be very important contributors as backups at the guard and tackle spots.”

Rehring played as a true freshman in 2004, but came down with pneumonia last season and was forced to take a redshirt year. Bollman was asked how far Rehring’s illness set him back.

“A lot,” he said. “It’s hard to say exactly how much, but he was really playing good ball when he got sick. To miss the whole season like that… and he didn’t even start practicing until bowl practice. That was a long comeback. Anybody who walked into the hospital and see how he looked, we’re just happy to have him back. No one would want to see their son or daughter in the way he was. He had tubes and everything coming out of his body. He was very seriously ill for about 48 hours.

“The best thing that he has going for him right now is getting that experience – he had a chance to get in quite a few games as a true freshman. And he was certainly in the picture and was going to play a lot last year. So, it’s better to have guys like him and Tim Schafer who are not solidified as real starters yet who have been there. That’s always a big deal.”

Rehring still isn’t 100 percent recovered from the illness that caused him to lose 40 pounds.

“I don’t think he’s quite back yet,” Bollman said. “But I think he’s making progress, that’s for sure.”

As for Skinner, he’s one of the most versatile linemen on the team and can play all five spots.

“Exactly,” Bollman said. “He’s like Doug Datish but a younger mold. Those are invaluable guys to have around here.”

Datish was the Buckeyes’ starter at left guard in 2004, and then started at left tackle last season. Now as a fifth-year senior, he is making the move to center and Bollman thinks he’s in for a big year.

“I think Doug will be able to handle things very well in there,” Bollman said. “And since he missed spring practice, fall camp will be a big deal for him, just getting comfortable physically. He hasn’t practiced a lot there, but he has in the past. You have to remember that he was the backup there the last two years.”

Did Datish lobby the coaching staff to let him stay at tackle, or move back to guard, or does he enjoy playing center?

“I’m sure if you asked Doug he’d say he wants to do whatever is best for the team,” Bollman said. “But I think that’s a good place for him. But for his future, a big added aspect for him is that he can play anywhere. But for us to step in there and give us some immediate rise and that level of expertise at the center position, that’s going to be a big help for us.
“Doug is a really good technician and he has an outstanding knowledge of the game. He uses his knowledge and plays with it. All that will fall in place for him. It’s not like he’s a new guy who is playing for the first time. He’s been around here and has been a starter and has been forced to make adjustment against our guys for a long while.

“And what actually becomes his physical strengths as a center? We’ll have to wait and see.”

There are three freshmen scholarship linemen on the roster: Bryant Browning, Connor Smith and Josh Kerr. Bollman was asked which of the young linemen have caught his eye thus far.

“One person who has really done a good job so far is Bryant Browning,” he said. “He’s really done a good job. That’s a little bit of a tunnel view, but other than that it’s hard for me to pick out one guy in particular who has stood out, but a lot of them are playing well.”
Browning is playing right guard for the Buckeyes and can also fill in at center.

“He’s over on the right side right now,” Bollman said. “He’s working and you can see him noticeably improve each day.”

With 11 veteran players in the fold, Bollman has the luxury of redshirting his freshmen linemen if he so chooses.

“If a freshman is going to play, a big deal is how quickly he can learn,” Bollman said. “Thinking back a few years ago, that’s what Nick (Mangold) and Rob (Sims) were able to do was learn things pretty quick. There needs to be a combination of them learning well, playing well, and a need. And it’s a little bit different of a situation this year. (The three freshmen) are pretty good players and they are really going to be good players, but that need is kind of missing from the formula right now.

“I think all of them have been steadily improving, but I think Bryant Browning has really done a good job. And then you can see Josh Kerr and Connor Smith settling in too.”

Bollman feels very good about the right side of his line: senior guard T.J. Downing and junior tackle Kirk Barton. Both of them are likely future NFL players (and the same could be said for Datish and left tackle Alex Boone).
“Well, T.J. and Kirk are real close and they’ve played together for a whole year now,” Bollman said. “They live with each other and they can communicate what the other is thinking. That’s a plus to have that

rjurewitz said:
I wasn't placing Boone for some reason. Yeah, he just came out and admitted that he had an Andre the Giant drinking problem (30-40 beers a day).

What about depth at C?

Center is by far the position w/ the least depth and experience...Datish is plenty experienced, just not at center....he's looked great supposedly in camp, and he's very athletic, so I think he'll do fine...but his backups are a sophomore and freshman..

Boone will be a future all-american.

As far as the defensive rankings go of OU vs Texas will just see how much Phil Steele koolaid everyone drinks around here.

DL EVEN
LB EDGE OU
DB EDGE TX

OU got blown so hard by Steele in his mag its not even funny. What's worse is the fact he was on the radio two days ago and said the two teams that have a chance to go unbeaten this year was Auburn and OU. The radio guy said ummmm did you hear about Bomar? And he still defended his choice. Moron.

I need some of that weed he's smoking. Maybe ask Ramonce where to get it.

Datish moved from T to C and he's never played C? Hmmm...gonna be plenty loud in Austin.

Kidding aside Mangold was a freakin monster last year. My big concern next year for Texas is when they lose Sendlein at C. One of the most underrated positions in all of football.

SHSUHorn said:
Datish moved from T to C and he's never played C? Hmmm...gonna be plenty loud in Austin.

Kidding aside Mangold was a freakin monster last year. My big concern next year for Texas is when they lose Sendlein at C. One of the most underrated positions in all of football.

yeah...Mangold was a machine...it's funny because when Stepanovich got hurt in 04 and Mangold came in as a sophomore he really struggled...but he tunred out to be one of the greats....He was just a hardnosed football player..little undersized, but a warrior..

One last JT quote cause you've guys got me pumped up here...

“I think if we’ll stay healthy, that we have the talent and depth to be very good on the offensive line,” he said. “The other thing that I’m excited about is that our offensive line every day right now is facing a pretty good defensive line. I tell you what, I think our guys are going to be good on the front. So, not only do we have talent on the O-line and depth, but we have good competition that we'd like to believe will make them better. So, absolutely I'm excited."

That's actual excitement from Tressel, lol.

Rex...forgot to mention on Cordle...that he hurt his knee last year...that's set him back a little...he'll pass Whaley by time camps out though, IMO..

Centers UNder Tressal have been godly

Lecharles Bentley

Alex Stepanovich

Nick Mangold

and now Doug Datish who started guard as a Sophomore and tackle as a junior (or the other way around)

I'm pretty sure Bentley never played Under Tressel, but you're right bro...it's been one after another to to the League...

EDIT: he graduated 01...so he woulda played a bit under him...was thinking he was a bit older...point taken YesSir...

he's an animal too...

SHSUHorn said:
Boone will be a future all-american.

As far as the defensive rankings go of OU vs Texas will just see how much Phil Steele koolaid everyone drinks around here.

DL EVEN
LB EDGE OU
DB EDGE TX

OU got blown so hard by Steele in his mag its not even funny. What's worse is the fact he was on the radio two days ago and said the two teams that have a chance to go unbeaten this year was Auburn and OU. The radio guy said ummmm did you hear about Bomar? And he still defended his choice. Moron.

I need some of that weed he's smoking. Maybe ask Ramonce where to get it.

You guys lost Huff, Griffin, Meijer and Tatum and your going to be better than the OU Defensive Backfield that will very likely be their best squad since 2000? Forget what you saw the last 3 years in Oklahoma's backfield woes, Horn. These are the smartest, most athletic players we have had at these positions in a long time! Did you see Oklahoma's televised Spring scrimmage back in April? Let me throw out some names you will be hearing a bunch this season nationally: DJ Wolfe, Reggie Smith, Marcus Walker, Lendy Holmes (Steele doesn't even have this guy listed in the right place and he has him listed as a third stringer, LOL), Jason Carter and Darien Williams. Mark this prediction -- Oklahomas caused turnover ratio goes up this season and the defensive backfield alone scores at least 4 TDs!

:smiley_acbe:

can honestly say I never thought my O-line thread would get more views, hits, responses than QB, RB or receiver threads lol...

CollegeKingRex said:
can honestly say I never thought my O-line thread would get more views, hits, responses than QB, RB or receiver threads lol...

I think you can clearly see we are all ready for the season to start and it's great to be talking CFB in earnest finally.
beer.gif

I'm waiting for the Waterboy Power Rankings to come out. Texas #1 because we know how to hydrate.

Mich getting hammered on oline i guess...Kolo has a heart condition is the word and true frosh Boren broke his ankle...that's a starting tackle and and guy pushing at guard..

Anybody have a link to this??

Just what I'm catching on boards..

Good thread Rex, glad to see my MD team got a little props there. We should be able to run the ball pretty well this year.

Sooner, Tatum left the team two years ago and never played a down. Meijer never saw a snap since he was a 4th string walk on. Ross, Brown, and C. Griffin saw pretty much the same minutes since all were pretty much equal. That is why you hear most people say Texas returns both corners this year. Both have started and played a ton of minutes since their frosh years. Brandon Foster & Ryan Palmer round out the depth at corners and both have patiently been waiting their turn. Both former HS recruit studs but green. If Ross or Brown get hurt Texas has a problem. Definitely outside of DT the biggest depth issue on the team.

Michael Griffin returns and is one of the early faves to win the Thorpe. His twin brother Marcus replaces Huff in the secondary.

The fact that OU has a converted RB and now a WR to go play CB throws up a red flag to me. I hear all this hype about Wolfe and all I've seen is him get burned time and time again. All they have is youth behind them in the depth charts. Marcus Walker had surgery on his shoulder this spring for like what the 3rd year in a row?

This secondary finished 56th in pass defense last year and gave up more yards passing since Stoops first year in the program.

I'll give OU credit and will say with no question they have the best front 7 in the country. Trying to run on OU is going to be damn near impossible this year. To beat OU your gonna have to throw the ball and throw deep. That's always been the gameplan to beat them (Okie St. & Aggie) somebody just forgot to give the gameplan to Greg Davis untill last year.

In regards to OU I don't pay attention to reports that come out of yalls camp for spring ball. Stoops is so good at coachspeak I don't pay attention. Last year Thompson wasn't going to miss a beat and easily replace Jason White. After the first game of the year in live action he never played QB again. This year I hear the OL is coming along and the QBs will be fine. Sure. The secondary should look sharp this fall look at who the QBs are there going against.

I'll wait untill the Oregon game and make my own assumption instead of listening to the glowing spring reports that come out of the animal sports radio station in OKC.

denny maybe we should've waited for the secondary rankings thread to come out lol?

BTW: Forgot to mention I do like Reggie Smith. Alot. Future first round pick in the secondary for OU. Only kid I like back there.

It hasn't ever bothered me to see a RB or WR converted to defensive back. A lot of these guys played as DBs in high school playing both ways. Also, Switzer was famous for doing this, only he made linebackers out of them as well.

I thought Wolfe played pretty decent last year for someone just converted. I think he'll be even better this season. Lendy Holmes is a converted WR and has been intercepting the ball right and left since Spring practice began. The other players all have experience and Venerables finally has them playing the positions they are comfortable at (last year, because of injuries, he was switching players around making them play positions they were not real familiar with. One of them was Reggie Smith who he moved to CB. He is clearly better suited at the safety position.)

I never touted Thompson or Bomar as the "heir apparent" to White. I knew we would not be replacing White's accuracy. White couldn't move around a lot, but he could sure pass the ball with accuracy. The two traits that keep coming out about Thompson is that he is well respected by his teamates, and he doesn't make a lot of mistakes. That would work if we had an offensive line like Texas has, but he's going to have to make some plays. Wilson has something up his sleeve, Horn. I really think they have an offense designed to allow him to roll out and take the option to run or throw a dink pass -- kind of a hybrid cross between Northwest's and Denver's offenses. And, of course, how hard is it to hand off to Adrian Peterson. But, we both know that Thompson will have to be able to pass the ball some or defenses will stack the box to stop Peterson.

Oregon will be the measuring stick for this team -- I'm definitely agreeing with you there. I think they will roll easily over UAB and Washington.

Back