Tomorrow's Bowls- Lets Plan-WIN

Sammy Meatballs

Sammy Meatballs? Never Heard of Her
I figured there are so many games if we can find some good ones tonight and some strategies it will be good for tomorrow. We will rebound and win tomorrow. Lots of nice lines, nice dogs,

We have better teams as Dogs now, such as Auburn, Air Force, Oregon, so lets talk.

As far as the Peach Bowl goes, nobody really knows what to expect out of Auburn.

On Wednesday we learned a lot more about Auburn’s game plan for the Chick-Fil-A Bowl. After bringing Tony Franklin in from Troy to run the offense, Tommy Tuberville initially said Auburn would still run the West Coast offense for its game with Clemson.

Now the story is starting to change. At yesterday’s practice, Tuberville said that Franklin would now be responsible for play calling in Monday night’s game. Originally, Franklin’s role was to be that of an observer.

Quarterback Brandon Cox said he would start the game and get a majority of the snaps, but hinted that the other quarterbacks would also see action.

"Coach maybe said something about rotating, getting Kodi (Burns) in running some of the stuff," said Cox. "Maybe getting Blake (Field) or Neil (Caudle) in to see how they are, to start analyzing them for next year, see how they react. I am starting still. I'm playing until they bring somebody else in."

"We're gong to have a mixture of all of it," said Tuberville. "We need to run some of our old offense just to have some carryover."

"It's confusing, no doubt," said offensive lineman Ryan Pugh. "I guess a lot of times fans would say we looked really confused running the old offense.

"It will all get worked out. It just comes down to getting after people and playing hard no matter what offense you're running. It's all about players making plays."

This is an interesting development – and a risky one. I’m not a coach, but it seems risky to install a new offense in the 13th game of the year. No one expects a full blown spread offense, but it does appear we’ll see more than anticipated.

Ironically, Auburn was in a similar situation at the Peach Bowl in 1990. Clemson coach Tommy Bowden was brought in at season’s end by Pat Dye to run the offense. For the game against Indiana, Bowden had little influence on the game plan. This year things appear to be different.

King Dunlap’s career at Auburn is over. The senior left tackle is nursing a high ankle sprain and will not play against Clemson. Dunlap started 20 games for the Tigers, including six this year. He’ll be replaced by freshman Ryan Pugh.

Pugh will be starting his seventh game at the position and will be joined by fellow freshmen Chaz Ramsey and Lee Ziemba on the offensive line. Tuberville says he’ been pleased with the play of all three underclassmen.

"It's been a different experience for all of us," said Tuberville. "We like to bring them in and hold them back a year but I don't what we would have done if we hadn't had some of these freshmen come in and play and play well for us."

Linebacker Tray Blackmon’s status for the bowl game is still questionable. He continues to be hobbled by a sore knee. Still, Blackmon’s just happy to be at a bowl game. You will remember that last year, he was suspended for the Cotton Bowl.

Auburn returns to the practice field this morning at 11:00 CT. The 2007 Chick-fil-A Bowl will kick off at 6:30 p.m. CT and be televised nationally by ESPN.

http://trackemtigers.com/

Some quick thoughts:

Cal/AF: The option attack always causes teams trouble but again this is a situation where Cal has had a month to prepare for it. AF can throw the ball a bit better than Navy can. Where is the Cal mindframe at right now after going 1-6 down the stretch? Speed and athletic advantage to Cal is pretty significant but AF prob will be the more motivated team here. Over at 55 could get a decent look, not hard to imagine a 31-27 type game here.

Oregon/USF: I disagree Sammy that Oregon is the better team, with Dixon, yes they are but when you take him away from Oregon, they are quite unimpressive. USF has enough speed on defense and I think they are strong enough against the run to make Oregon 1-Dimensional and force a RS-Frosh QB with little experience to try and beat them.

GT/Fresno: I know GT can't be too motivated for this game and Fresno loves playing schools from BCS conference, no doubt about that. Game is in WAC territory but didn't Fresno have 8 players suspended this past week? I didn't look to deep into the significance of the suspensions yet, will do that in the morning.

FSU/UK: Well if you had UK early, you have to be happy. Anytime you lose half of your team there is impact. I liked UK going into this game, Do I think they can win by 10 now? I think so, have to keep looking into this game but UK will certainly be up for this game and can't help but wonder what the mess in the FSU lockerroom looks like.

AUB/Clem: Aub defense is good, Clemson playcalling sucks but they have talent on offense. Huge coaching advantage imo to Auburn but Auburn offense is bad. As mentioned above, Auburn new offense, hard to cap that. Clemson will be without 2 starting LB's and maybe a 3rd but who knows what the status of Vincent is after DWI, also a starting OL.

Ok St/Indy: The first thought that comes to mind is Over and thats why it is set at 69. How will Ok St playcalling be without OC? Indiana will be pumped for this game, Ok St away from home is always questionable. Hard to pick a side here though

Anyone know if Antone Smith (RB) will play for FSU?
I leaning over the total in this one. If the number climbs more than 11 I might put 1/2 unit on FSU

This is the best way to view the FSU suspensions, credit to a poster on another board for this:

fsusg1.jpg

The updated list for the seminoles has 3 FR starting on OL. 2 are Red Shirts and the other is true.

Best two plays for me are AF/Cal and Okie St/Indy overs

I think special teams will help give short fields for these teams to work with.

Those suspensions on FSU aren't that bad

Getting +10 is a gift

Umm, +10 is no gift at all with an already inept offense and now having a very young and inexperienced line. Then you have a DL with no DEPTH and even more inexperience against a QB and a WR corps that will tear you apart with enough time which they should have plenty of. The saving grace for FSU is that they have all 4 starters in the secondary but they will be busy all day. People see "FSU+10" and think no way but this is just too much to overcome vs. a team who wants it more

When you're FSU you have capable backups. Those DT's mean shit when they can run Everett Brown and Alex Boston on the outsides with Andre Fluellen and Kendrick Stewart on the insides

The Lineman could be a problem, but FSU's O-Line has sucked all year, maybe if anything this will help

I think Richardson will play a lot too

Are you shitting me?

They lost tons of guys that play. Half the Dline, half the LB corp, Oguards, Tight ends........and they were average at best to begin with. If UK plays like they are capable they blow them out.

Geno Hayes and Derek Nicholson are the only two FSU LB's that matter. And they're both there, look above.

You make it seem like this is FSU of old, FSU of old wouldn't be in this bowl game. They don't have capable backups they can just trout out there and beat a team who is already BETTER than them to start with.

FSU is FSU and this team has absolutely no pressure on them

They can go out there and lay a egg and nobody will care, but they won't..this game will be close

Please tell me the spots where you see Kentucky prevailing....and why you would even think of laying -9.5 with them

USF + Auburn ML parlay pays out good a lil over 2.2 to 1

Air Force also looks good if DJax isn't playing...I feel like he made that team work

Having no pressure, going to represent the school that YOU SIGNED UP FOR. Having tremendous school pride, all of the things that Coach Bowden WILL get across to them, if they don't come out fired up then I will be a sap with a sorry bet

They come out firing, hitting hard, all of that...the defense will step up and shut down Kentucky when needed, thus sealing the +10 cover

Kentucky couldn't hang with any of the big name SEC offenses, and Jimbo Fisher knows how to pick this team apart

I just don't think picking apart a defense and FSU go together in the same sentence, especially with a makeshift OL who sucked to begin with.

Then on defense they won't even get Woodson's jersey dirty tomorrow

Being FSU and Kentucky being Kentucky

This is a football game, not basketball

No offense, I just think you are uninformed. I think in your heart you deeply want to believe that this FSU team will get it done because of their name and their legacy and you can't see them struggling with UK. The reality is that FSU has been shit for quite some time now and the jailbirds run the prison over there.

QB-UK
RB-UK
WR-UK
OL-UK
DL-UK
LB-Push
DB-FSU

I like FSU also but what scares me is that Florida (SEC) gave them a whooping and Kentucky (SEC) is a little similar to Florida.
They were spotty this year and it all showed on the Fla/Fl ST game.

good luck

cavy1

Furthermore, You can spout this "take pride in your school" bullshit but after they get punched in the mouth they will fold like they always do cause they have no HEART

And I haven't played this game, I am just going against your thought process that this is a late gift from Santa because its far from that

ETG I agree with Captain, this is a GIFT, forget about capping that game, Florida State will be the more motivated team. Conflict brings the team together.
Florida state is not scared of KENTUCKY, they will intimidate KENTUCKY.

Florida state has been there, simply put KENTUCK is KENTUCKY, they do not beat good teams.

Never challenge a bowden team, their backs are against the wall and they can play with Kentucky. This is a one possession game you cannot just name the score, NO D on KENTUCKY means no COVER also. FSU is so deep and talented and I think KENTUCKY may not show up for this game.

I've got to agree with ETG. This isn't an FSU team of old and they proved that through the regular season with their performance--not to mention with all of these players who won't even make the trip tomorrow actually on the field.

This team was supposed to have a good QB this year. That didn't happen and by the end of the season they were benching him because he sucked. The lost perhaps their best offensive weapon in Booker last year and I didn't see a lot of FSU, but I don't think they ever really replaced what he brought to the table.

Here is a team that will be, according to the depth chart above, playing without 60% of their defensive line. 60%??? Are you f**king kidding me?

OK, so you can say they'll try to make due, but four of those guys are starters. So, one, your front four is missing four starters. Two, Kentucky likes to make you run around. This team should be so tired by the second half they shouldn't be able to stand up.

And all of this is beyond the fact that Andre Woodson is a stud and a Sr. Tell me you think this guy's not drooling at the fact that on a national stage he can light up FSU going into the draft. After he wasn't even mentioned for Heisman consideration in the last month of the season.

Um, OK.

Looking at that depth chart above the only possible thing I can think FSU can do is try to run the ball and make this the shortest game ever. But I don't see how they do it when they're missing three of their six offensive tackles.

So then maybe they're going to try to score with KY, but that doesn't make sense either because they don't have the depth on defense to try to get into a track meet.

I think FSU takes their medicine tomorrow, tries to gut it out, but basically gets beat as a warning that this could happen to your program, too, if you don't play by the rules.

Joe P you are discounting one major thing, Blitzes, you blitz Kentucky and Woodson's release is way too slow, FSU will compensate the pass rush by sending more blitzes, and the starters who are replacing would have been the starters in the next few years anyways.

Physcologically FSU has nothing to lose and Kentucky does, and they will struggle, nothing ever comes easy look at the Pats vs the Giants, don't ask me how but this game may be a 3 point game. Anytime I have bet this situation before I rarely win unless I have a really good team going vs them, but Kentucky will be scared and Woodson guy is the biggest joke I have ever seen, I mean it takes the guy forever to get a throw off.

here it is boys..........mark it down...these are the winners

Cal -4.5
USF -6
FSU +10
Okla St -4.5
Auburn ML

5 winners........good luck gentlemen...

Seriously, you guys are smoking rocks.

UK will be SCARED of FSU? Cmon now, that is the biggest joke I've ever seen. The UK team who stood toe-to-toe with LSU in triple OT is going to be scared of a bunch of no heart pussies wearing a seminoles jersey? Yeah ok.

Here is the problem Sammy. FSU has to blitz their ass off because their DL doesn't have a shot in hell of getting pressure so then when Andre makes his presnap reads and notcies that FSU has to bring 7 guys against his 4 wide there will be someone open and it will happen often.

Look at Kentucky's sched.
S.C.(L)-- Spurrier's had their number
LSU (W)-- Triple OT
Florida(L)-- Went the distance with Tebow
Miss St (L)-- Injuries had piled up
Vandy (W)-- Vandy no pushover
Georgia(L)-- Lost to BCS title contender
Tenn (L)-- Lost heartbreaker to Tennessee

Seven straight SEC games, against some very stiff comp, with injuries starting to take effect after OT and hard hitting LSU,FLA games. 4 of 5 losses to teams ranked 18 or better. Burton is doubtful but they still have a lot of weapons that are back healthy. They can pound Locke to soften up that D-front and have all second half to bomb the secondary.

Da Hoss - Locke is out of this game, Burton practiced and wants to play

Still, Little/Dixon should be good to go

Last edited:
Legendary Florida State coach Bobby Bowden joined UK coach Rich Brooks at the official pregame press conference for the Music City Bowl on Sunday and, as usual, held court with media members from both schools. Here are some of the best moments from Bowden's meeting with the media.

<!--Start Bowden250 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/888/585594.jpg', '585594.jpg', 0, 192, 250, 1, 'Bobby Bowden addressed the media on Sunday.', 'CatsPause.com/Victoria Graff', 1199067485000, 'Bowden250', 888, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=258 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=252>
585594.jpg
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>CatsPause.com/Victoria Graff</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Bobby Bowden addressed the media on Sunday.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Bowden250 Image-->Question: How has this bowl experience been different so far?
BOWDEN: "We feel very fortunate to be here at this bowl. You can imagine how different practices have been at Florida State than they usually are. Usually when we go to a bowl we take all of our players but all of our players couldn't go to this bowl so you are practicing without the same amount of players you normally have. We've made some adjustments. When we play the game it ain't like we are going to play with some guys that ain't no football players. We've still got first teamers. The thing I'm most concerned about is depth, can you hang in there for 60 minutes? That's the big thing."

You are usually the favorite in bowl games, how does it feel to be the underdog?
BOWDEN: "Most of my life it's been that way. I've always been the runt of the litter in high school and college. We've upset a lot of people coming up but I really like that role better than being a touchdown favorite."

How important is the running game to the final outcome?
BOWDEN: "The running game will be important to anybody's team because the defense has to stop run, but football has changed to the point where you don't necessarily have to run the football. Steve Spurrier is an example of you run if you want to but build a running game off the pass. Most coaches prefer to run the football, make you stop the run and then pass. I wish I knew we could the run football. I think we can throw it well enough to give them problems but if we can't run it well enough they'll sit back in a bunch of coverages and (Weatherford) will forget what color jersey we have on."

Do you feel like you can compete with Kentucky in a shootout?
BOWDEN: "No, no, no shootouts. We don't want a shootout. I wish I knew we could play a shootout but we're going to have to slow the ballgame, both teams having to run it. The thing that concerns me about Kentucky as many games as I've watched of them is when they've been down two (touchdowns) or three they've come right back. We haven't done that."

What would winning this game mean to your program given all the off field issues?
BOWDEN: "It would mean so much to us because you can imagine how low we've felt the last two weeks. Really, the last two or three weeks is when we realized the enormity of this whole thing. It started as one, two, maybe three (players), then the next thing you know it's four and then they're going back semesters. It's been very disappointing. I can't tell you how much...we could really use it. Somebody asked me last night, it won't destroy us if we don't win. If we lose we'll go recruit and go, 'Look how bad we need you.'"

How impressed are you with what Rich Brooks has done at Kentucky?
BOWDEN: "I've known about (UK) through the years but as much as I've seen that school and visited that school I wondered, 'Why can't they do it?' They have a beautiful campus, facility and so anyway, it all gets down to get the right guy."

Can you still beat Rich on the golf course?
BOWDEN: "He just said that, he wears me out. The sad thing is, so does his wife, that's the sad part. He was always a better golfer than me. He wears me out. I don't think I've ever beat him, he's just being nice."

What about your chances Monday?
BOWDEN: "The whole key to it is if we play liked we played against Florida they'll kill us, if we play like we played against Boston College we'll (be okay). We simply couldn't stop (Florida), if we play like we are playing a team that is just as prolific. Against Ryan we held him down and won the ball game but which way we are going to play I don't know."

Have you talked to your son Tommy about last year's experience playing Kentucky?
BOWDEN: "I don't want any of his advice."

Talk about it in The House of Blue

Kentucky head coach Rich Brooks covered a lot of ground in his news conference with Florida State head coach Bobby Bowden on Sunday at LP Field. On the eve of the Music City Bowl, Brooks talked about immediate concerns such as the status of senior wide receiver Keenan Burton and the impact of the suspension of senior offensive guard Jason Leger. At the same time, he also reminisced about years past, and he talked about how he hopes to leave UK when he retires — which he said won't be any time soon.

Opening Statement
RB: We're excited to be here again. It was a great experience for us a year ago. I think we've got a real challenge on our hands. I've known Coach Bowden since 1980 and he has a built an unbelievable program at Florida State and obviously is an icon in the coaching profession. We have an opportunity I think to do something that Kentucky has not been able to do in a long, long time. Just getting to a bowl game for the second time in a row is an accomplishment for us. I know Coach Bowden is in his 26th — is that right Bobby? — consecutive bowl game. I can't live long enough to get there, so we just have to do the best we can while we have the opportunity. I believe the one question that is hanging over our team, Keenan Burton, I believe he will be available for duty. How much he'll play I am not sure. We'll just see how in the pregame warmup how he goes in that, but I believe he will be available for duty, because I believe we are going to need every able-bodied playmaker that we can get obviously because Florida State's defense to me is a lot like some of the ones we played in our league. Georgia is an example and we had a very difficult time moving the ball on Georgia.

Q: Rich, talk about your depth situation. Coach Bowden has 43 scholarship players so where at you at?
RB: We have 56 scholarship players when you take all of our injured guys and our redshirt guys and all those that aren't going to play out of the equation. We have walk-ons that are in our two-deep so I'm not counting those guys obviously. Some of them have played significant roles for us this year as you know. I think with the depth just recently the biggest problem is with offensive guard where we've had three experienced players that have played all year long and now we are minus one. Zipp Duncan will move from right guard to left guard. Christian Johnson who had not practiced until we arrived here at the bowl site because of the broken finger he sustained in the Tennessee game. He will start at left guard and Zipp will start at the right, and now we don't have someone to bring in off the bench with experience. Jess Beets would be the first one off the bench.

Q: Can you empathize with Coach Bowden's situation due to your experience with probation?
RB: Well, it's different. We had 68 scholarship players on the roster my first year as you know, and I don't think there were any four- and five-stars in that category at that time. (Bowden: C'mon, you've got to feel sorry for me.) I've been whooped upside the head by Bobby on the golf course a few times. I don't feel sorry for anybody. I've got my own problems.

Q: What have you seen out of Keenan Burton that makes you think he'll be available?
RB: Just consulting with him today after he practiced two days ago. He did not practice yesterday, and he's told me that he liked to try to play so that's what I've seen.

Q: What were those Nike meetings like?
RB: There were some very good parties with Bobby and Joe Paterno. One year, we were at Palm Springs and John Deere was having a meeting across the hall from us. We had a 20s theme, gangster theme that night at dinner. There were water guns, machine gun water guns and little water gun pistols. We started up, and of course we had a lot of the old timers in, Johnny Majors and Larry Smith, just a whole bunch of coaches that are no longer coaching. People kept coming over from the John Deere deal, probably because we were having a lot more fun than they were. Joe Paterno led a conga line, into the John Deere and they had an opera singer going and it was very formal. About half of the John Deere people came over an partied with us.</B>

Q: How important will the running game be?
RB: If you don't run the ball well you have trouble doing a lot of things well on offense in my opinion. Just watched parts of the game last night with Mississippi State and watched them play Central Florida who had the leading rusher in the nation, and both teams struggled to run the ball, struggled to move the ball. One of the lowest scoring and least productive offensive games. I think you never know what you are getting to get with a long layoff — your timing, the consistency of what you're doing running the football. I know for us playing Florida State if we don't run the ball somewhat effectively we are going to have trouble protecting our quarterback because they rush the passer as good as anybody in the country.

Q: Do you watch other bowl games, especially the ones with teams from your conference?
RB: I am excited that we've (the SEC) only played so far with Mississippi State getting the win. I think we had nine teams in a year ago and we went 6-3. I think oftentimes some teams don't play as well in bowl games, some teams play up and play better in bowl games, but I believe our conference is so tough and the ACC is so tough that usually the SEC and the ACC are normally in my opinion going to come out on top winning and losing in the postseason.

Q: You had resignation rumors this year, does that mean you've arrived?
RB: My comment on that was that I'm either going to get fired or retire. For the first three-and-half years I was getting fired, and why would you go there because he's going to get fired. When we finally got to a bowl game last year and did well and then we did well this year, and all of sudden I am going to retire. I ain't up to Bobby yet, but what I'd like to do is get a few more of his wins, that's what I need.

Q: How disappointing is it that you've had to discpline one of your seniors (Jason Leger)?
RB: It's devastating to me personally, but rules are rules. Everybody understands they are accountable for their actions. It's just a difficult thing to do on the eve of his last game. We just have to move forward an understand there are consequences and be aware of that. It's not easy sometimes to have a firm hand but if you don't, things run amok real fast.

Q: What would this win mean from a historic perspective?
RB: You have to go back — what 50 years to back-to-back bowl wins? I mean, this is our 12th bowl game in the history of the school. We can double that and I wouldn't catch Bobby. To win it would be just unbelievable to reward these senuiors who have lived through some difficult times in Kentucky football and seen the bright side the last two years. More importantly, I think is establishing credibility for the program moving forward. It would be extremely important. It would be significant to win a second bowl game in a row.

Q: Do you successors in your own program for you?
RB: I'm real young still. I don't think there is any question that there are successors for me on my staff that are totally capable of being college head coaches and I am sure that when the time comes and assuming there is still success being achieved that that would be one of the top considerations. I know when I took the job five years ago that was one of the things I discussed with Mitch (Barnhart) that I hoped I could do what we did at the University of Oregon which is to keep continuity. When I left after the Rose Bowl — when JoePa kicked me fanny — we were able to keep everybody in tact. Mike Bellotti is still there and he has taken the program even to bigger and better heights. There were six of my coaches still on that staff and continuity I think is something that brings success to programs, particularly ones that have historically not had consistent success. Once you get it, you need to keep the formula going. I think someone on my staff would certainly be capable of doing that, and I would hope that would be the case.

Q: Knowing you've said you want to be the longest-tenured coach at UK, have you thought how much longer you will coach?
RB: How many more times do I have to say it? This is my fifth year, so it would take at least five years more for me to reach that goal. Then in five more years, see how I feel.

Tim Wiseman
CatsPause.com Staff Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript> if ((bIEWindowBrowser) && (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.") != -1)) document.write("<div id=outercontainer style='height:220px;'>"); else document.write("<div id=outercontainer>"); document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The House of Blue

After practice on a rainy day in Nashville, Keenan Burton was joking and laughing, his mood improved thanks to an upgrade in his status for Monday's Music City Bowl. After being limited in recent practices due to recurring swelling in his knee, the senior wide receiver participated at full speed and in full pads for the first half of practice on Friday, and afterward he said there is a 50-50 chance he'll play against Florida State.

"I'm still cautious, but I think I have a better chance," Burton said after trying to embarrass junior wide receiver Dicky Lyons Jr. in front of the TV cameras gathered at Vanderbilt's practice field. "Instead of saying doubtful, I think I am 50-50 now. It can swing from here to there. It could swell up; it couldn't, so it's a waiting game just to see. I am going to keep pushing, keep plugging away and just try to practice as hard as I possibly can."

Kentucky coach Rich Brooks also was encouraged by what he saw from Burton during practice.

"He's running fine," he said. "He looks very good. The question is if it swells, then we've got a decision to make, see about going in probably with a scope later on or as soon as possible. That's just a decision that will come later after obviously we've got 24 hours to respond to what he did today."

Burton leads the team in receptions with 59 for 685 yards, and he has the second-most receiving touchdowns with nine. He missed the Cats' 31-14 loss to Mississippi State on Oct. 27 due to knee and ankle injuries and has been slowed by them since. In the regular season finale against Tennessee, Burton came up with eight catches for 83 yards, and he hauled in two touchdowns in the overtime periods.

"He is a factor that you always have to account for," Brooks said. "With him on the field, that opens up everybody else. They can't concentrate as much on Jacob Tamme and or Stevie Johnson or Dicky Lyons. When you've got all your weapons out there, it's a lot better than being shorthanded. He's clearly a guy who's made huge, big plays for us in his career and if we don't have him out there, we'll miss those big plays."

And since the bowl game will be his last as a Wildcat, it will take a lot to keep him out of the game.

"I hope he is feeling good," senior tight end Jacob Tamme said. "He's been a gutsy guy since the day he walked on the field at UK. If he is able to play that would be great for our offense, and if he's not, we'll try to do our best without him.

"I know it means a ton to him. I have talked to him about it. He wants to play more than anything, but no one wants him to play if he's not healthy. If he's healthy enough to play, that's great, but if not, then it's going to be tough for him to keep himself off the field but we're going to have to do it."

McClinton, Warford improving, too
Junior safety Marcus McClinton and sophomore cornerback Paul Warford are expected to play, according to UK Athletics.

McClinton, who missed the Cats' final three games after cracking his shoulder blade, and Warford, who missed practices last week with a shoulder injury, have been practicing in Nashville. McClinton had 27 tackles and one interception in seven games this year. Playing in 10 games with eight starts, Warford had 36 tackles and two interceptions during the regular season.

Cats defend title in Nashville
The Wildcats began bowl week with a win on Thursday night by successfully defending their title in the Music City Bowl's rib-eating contest.

UK used the lineup of senior wide receiver Steve Johnson, senior quarterback Andre' Woodson, senior offensive guard Jason Leger, and junior offensive guard Josh Winchell in the two-minute contest against Florida State. Led by Leger's inhaling of 15 ribs, the Cats totaled 41 ribs to the Seminoles' 31. In a new one-on-one competition, UK center Jorge Gonzalez - nicknamed "Boss Hog" for his eating performance in last year's team event - prevailed to give the Cats a sweep.

"Cat Walk" scheduled
The "Cat Walk" has been set for the Music City Bowl. It will be at 12:30 p.m. (Central Time) on the east side of LP Field (same side as parking lot C), and fans are encouraged to line up to greet the Wildcats as they enter the stadium.

And one note, I can't stress how important this is.

FSU has to start some frosh now, frosh that didn't play that much this yr and now they are expected to go out there and know their assignments, play fast, and make plays. It doesn't happen very often, I know from watching from first hand experience this yr. FSU is trotting out some 4-star players, Carolina started 5 of them for the yr who were just as highly regard and recruited and believe me there are growing pains. For example, LB Kendall Smith will likely be lost all over the field tomorrow.

FSU HOLDS LAST FULL PRACTICE BEFORE MONDAY'S MUSIC CITY BOWL

Nashville, TN - The weather was sunny in Nashville on Sunday and the Seminole football team was able to practice outdoors at Goodpasture Christian School for the first time this week. Florida State practiced for 16 periods in helmets and shorts as the team went through its final full practice of the season. The team got out to practice almost a half hour early after the Music City Bowl coaches' luncheon finished up ahead of schedule. The luncheon, hosted by ESPN's Ron Franklin, attracted nearly 1,000 people and was attended by both teams.

PRACTICE QUOTES:

Head Coach Bobby Bowden

On yesterday's indoor practice:
"We got a lot out of it. The big thing now-a-days is assignments, assignments, assignments. That is the one thing you can do inside. The thing you can't do is air the ball out. So it was very important we were able to work on that."

On the role Preston Parker has played in 2007:
"It is so much better than what we could have envisioned. It would be hard for us to envision what he has meant to our football team. He is probably our most dangerous player. Then we got a tailback hurt and we move him back there and he got 130 or something like that. He has just been phenomenal. I would never have thought when we signed him. I knew he was a heck of a receiver I didn't know he could run like he does or throw the ball and play running back."

On the role D'Vontrey Richardson will play:
"We got him working at wide receiver and at running back, kickoffs, everything really. He will go out on kickoffs, he will probably go down on punts, he'll probably try to block punts, he'll probably could be a wide receive. He can line up as a tailback as we need him.

"He has got skills. I wouldn't be surprised if we hit the field for that game with them and he ain't the best athlete on the field. He is a quarterback and that is where he wants to play. That's where we will play him so right now he is kind of a back-up at a lot of positions."

On Kentucky quarterback Andre Woodson:
He is a big leaguer. He is the kind you don't like to see. I put him in that category with (BC's Matt) Ryan. I put him in that category with (Florida's Tim) Tebow. Tebow is probably the best, maybe the best ever.

On how Andre Woodson compares to Matt Ryan:
"He is just as dangerous, maybe more so because he can probably run better."

On what being a heavy underdog will do to his team:
"Well you hope (that motivates the team) but that needs to come from them. A coach can say `Boy this is something we can really rally around, men lets go out and rally around' but unless you feel it down in your heart it is hard to rally around. You hope that they pick it up that way."

On his comfort level with back-up QB Christian Ponder due to his playing experience:
"Yes, I think anytime you get game experience I think it is important. He has been under fire and we have an idea of what he can do."

On what he sees in Kentucky:
"They are a real solid football team, very solid. It is hard to find a place you can just pick on them. Then the other thing that really overwhelms you is the ability of their offense that no matter what happens they can bring you back."

On the chance for a hero to emerge in the Music City Bowl:
"If somebody can go out and make some great plays and win this darn game, they would be in the hero category. Their names would go in the book."

On how important this game is:
"How important is it? It is important. We have played bowls before that we have lost and still came back and had a great year, same thing with Kentucky. It is not like your whole future is shaped by what happens in this game. I think where it helps the most is going into next year with some momentum. You know? And yet there have been times where we lost our last ballgame and kids go in there with a resolve maybe greater than you could have established any other way."

Defensive Tackle Kendrick Stewart

On the opportunity of the younger players getting a chance to play in the bowl game:
"It's a great opportunity. It's too bad that some of our players did make the trip but it's a great opportunity for the younger guys to come in and showcase their skills. I've started four games this year which is a huge help and I have that game experience, so there isn't that much of a drop off."

On the adversity this team has dealt with over the last two weeks:
"It's been a struggle but you have to push forward. For the players that are here, we are trying to win this game. We miss those players that are not here but we have to go out and do what we can for the team and show everybody that we are still Florida State."

Linebacker Kendall Smith

On the opportunity to play in the bowl game:
"Not many freshmen get the opportunity that I am getting right now. I talked to my friends and family and they keep asking me if I am going to play and I keep telling them that `yes, I am playing.' I have to take advantage of this opportunity. I am just glad that the coaches trust me to go out on the field and be part of the first team. I really never thought that it would happen this year. I just thought that I would be playing with the special teams unit the whole time just like the freshmen lineman do in their first season. And when my sophomore year roles around, then get the chance to play. This is a step ahead and I'm just trying to help the team out and get a win in this bowl game."

Offensive Lineman Evan Bellamy

On the opportunity to play in the bowl game:
"This is a great opportunity. I am really enjoying playing right now and just hoping do to well and get some more playing time in the future."

On the guys that are stepping in and whether they have something to prove:
"No, the guys are just going out there trying to play football. I have Rodney Hudson helping me out at left guard and we are just hoping to do well."

Quarterback Drew Weatherford

On the attitude of the team heading into Monday's game:
"Honestly, this is a great opportunity for our team. There is a lot of adversity and you can't have a great win unless you have adversity. And we have a lot of adversity coming right off the bat. This is really exciting for a lot of guys to have an opportunity that they haven't had previously. But we are just excited to be here and looking forward to the game."

On this game being a huge spring board for next season:
"This is a very unique opportunity. It's something that we really can't control, but the one thing that we can control is our attitude under these circumstances. And I think that is the most important thing. I have been really happy with the way all our players and coaches and even our fans have handled it throughout this whole ordeal."

Capt. Slap - you got to hear yourselve. Read some of the recent post of the Uconn fans on this board, that is what you sound like! Your heart is doing too much talking. That's not to say FSU won't cover but UK won't be intimidated by a bunch of freshmen from a 7-5 ACC team. This is not nor has it been for awhile the FSU of the 80's & 90's.

Back