Time to post my week 6 card so far

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
Well, that was quite a weekend of football , wasn't it ? I am still treading water in cfb to date and the juice is just eating me alive. At some point, I need to have a break out weekend. I have two plays locked in and a couple more I am definitely playing but praying for a better number.

Locked IN:

Rutgers -3
Mississippi -12.5
South Carolina -3 -120 ( hook ) Added oct 1
Penn State -7 added oct 1
San Diego State/Colorado State under 59 Added oct 2

Strong Leans:

South Carolina -3.5 Added OCT 1
Penn State -7.5 Added OCT 1
Mississippi State -16.5 Eliminated OCT 1
Unlv +6 Eliminated oct 3
missouri -6.5 added to strong leans from TMO oct 2, eliminated oct3
Talk me offs:

Boise state -22 Eliminated from talk me offs oct 2
CSU -13 Eliminated from talk me offs oct 2
Purdue +6.5 Eliminated oct 2
ncstate +17.5 Eliminated oct 2
Illinois -3 Eliminated from talk me offs oct 2
Missouri -6.5 added to strong leans oct 2
Georgia +2 added to talk me offs monday oct 1, eliminated oct 2
UCF -3 added to talk me offs monday oct 1, eliminated oct 2

Last edited:
You like my Rebs, huh? Hmm. I don't trust us laying 13 points, but I'm not saying we won't cover it. I'll have to look it over, but I am leaning on a play against us. We play down to our competition, and don't ever really blow inferior competition out.

Sorry, what was that? I couldn't hear you over my bookie's balls slapping against my ass...

:boff:

GL this week VK. I think the Rutgers line is right where it should be, and I like the Ole Miss play. You said in the other thread that SC is your favorite play of the season thus far - I am assuming that you are simply waiting for the line to possibly drop?

Keep up the good work.

After a week of Doggy domination it was not surprising to me that there appears to be more value with favorites this week than in any prior week. A quick glance at some of the games I have targeted here and I will have write ups on as many of my actual plays as time permits me.

Rutgers -3 -- I think a lot of Rutgers performance last week can be attributed to looking ahead to this revenge game. Cincinnati has been playing pretty decent ball but when you look at their slate of opponents, you can see why they have had success. Rutgers playing at home , at night , in a huge huge revenge spot off a straight up home loss. love the spot. At no point this entire season have I had Cincinnati power rated higher than Rutgers ... only -3. Write up later in the week hopefully

Mississippi -12.5 -- Third consecutive road game for LT , who has possibly been the worst road team the last few years. Somewhat of a sandwich game for Mississippi but I doubt teams like the rebels really look ahead too much. Orgeron (job security) needs the win and will take no prisoners here. Athletes on Rebel offense will put up major points. LT didn't score a td last week at fresno st .. will need several to come close to covering this. Write up later in the week hopefully.

S Carolina -3.5 -- I love this line. Kentucky scores a late td at home on a blown coverage to beat an average lousiville team, then gets a huge fumble return for a td at end of first half vs arkansas and rallies late despite being outplayed most of that game for another straight up win. They have yet to play a single team with an above average secondary or total defense. They are going to play at south Carolina at night on national television. South Carolina while lucky to cover at LSU were not dominated by the tigers by any stretch. When did Kentucky become a favorite over S carolina on a neutral field ?? That is what this line implies. Not jumping on this bandwagon for this game. Spurrier vs Brooks to boot. I will be playing the gamecocks this week , hoping to find a -3 before weeks end.

Penn State -7.5 -- Penn State returns home and I look for a woodshed effort in this game. Iowa plays poorly vs a bad n illinois team , loses outright to an atrocious iowa state team, slaughters a terrible syracuse team , loses at wisconsin , and gets crushed at home by indiana ( though a slightly deceiving score ). I know a lot of folks won't want to trust the Nittany Lions after the past two road games ... but they are a deifferent team at home ... and how can you trust Iowa ? Is the question I would ask. Terrible match up for Hawkeyes too. Again , hopefully get you a write up on this one later in the week too. Definitely playing, hoping for a -7 somewhere that I have money.

Mississippi State -16.5 --- Hmmmm Tulsa -23 ..... MSU -16.5 ........ since when is Tulsa a TD better than MSU vs a patsy ??? UAB can stop no one and unlike Tulsa , MSU should give UAB offensive attack fits. Another situation where the coach really needs the win and should go out of his way to be sure it isn't a threat to record a bad loss. Need to check a few details still on this game but it sure looks promising.

UNLV +6 -- Air Force has revenge in mind after losing in a scorefest at Sam Boyd Stadium last year ( I was in attendance :tiphat: ). Air force still relies heavily on the run and UNLV defense has been very strong against the run. Both teams are off to a good start in conference play and I look for one of those very hard fought battles that could result in either team winning but neither team winning big. UNLV finally sees a defense that they might be able to get pass attack healthy against. I think getting the 6 points is a value. Air force also off of loss to rival Navy. Strong lean at this point , if line moves down as I expect it will ... it might fall into the talk me offs section.

CSU -13 -- Pretty damn good winless team at home finally vs a non top ten team. SDSU is a bad football team and CSU controls this game from start to finish I think. Concerns about where this football teams heads are at and need to examine more closely how effective improved sdsu offense can perform in this one before I lay this many. Hope to get some good insight from jpicks thread later in the week.

Purdue +6.5 -- To be honest I know there is no chance I really play this unless I get 7.5. Purdue at home is not an easy beast to blow out and I think Purdue can have more success moving the ball on buckeyes than any previous team this year. The problem is that Ohio State can run the hell out of the ball and Boilermaker rush defense is more than a little bit suspect. On the one hand I have a good passing attack for a backdoor offensive td , on the other hand OSU could score a bonus TD at the end when they are just trying to run out the game clock. Haven't looked at other threads much yet , but i am sure this game will get a long look from a lot of folks and I will be reading intently to learn as much as possible from the Big Ten folks. slight lean... and I disfavor betting against Tressel

NCSTATE +17.5 -- Seems like a lot of points for a bad offense to cover in a conference game. Wolfpack is abysmal though and how can I trust them to score anything vs seminoles on the road when they struggled to score much vs louisville at home who has less defense than France.

Illinois -3 -- I am not a believer in Wisconsin. Tough road test for them and their defense has been anything but what most expected coming into the year. Illinois is improving every week and gaining confidence every week. They are much faster than the badgers and Wisconsin cannot dominate the DL of Illinois. With that said, Illinois was probably outplayed by penn state last week in victory and Zook VS Bielema is not a favorable one for Illini. Not finished looking at this game and again it is one of the games that will likely get a lot of attention in the forum. Very slight lean and teetering on falling of my talk me offs already.

Missouri -6.5 -- I have ZERO reason to believe that the Corn can stop this attack from the tigers. I also have little faith in Missouri defense to stop the corn , though to a lesser extent. Was not impressed with Corn road game at Wake though USC was on deck ..... but throw in blowout at home at hands of trojans , almost losing at home SU to Ball State and a less than inspired effort at home to Iowa State and I have to begin thinking that i had this team a bit overrated to start the year. They seem a little deflated and Missouri seems hungry. Damn , if someone could convince me that I could trust the Tiger defense just a little bit and I would make this play.

Bosie State -22 -- They should score at will. Will nmsu score enough to keep it within this number ??? will boise be looking past this game after aggies performance vs ark pine bluff ?? The number when Boise is at home always looks a tad high to me ... and they always cover it. giving this one consideration but I am not a fan of laying this many points, period.

Just to play Devil's Advocate - the last time the Rebs WON a game by 13+ was in 2004 against Mississippi St. I don't even know the last time we were FAVORED by that many. We play down to our competition - so good luck betting on us to act like we are that much better than La Tech.

Counselor , Aloe works well. And we ahve good games to get healthy on this week. time for our bookies to feel the wraith of our slappign balls.

dmoney -- s carolina will be a play .. hoping more public money comes in on kentucky .. this line is hilarious to me. My favorite game of the year so far.

ramble -- Great match up vs LT. their run attack does not match up well to mississippi defense. Athletes on offense torch LT .. third straight road game and on and on and on ... I am never a believer in bottom half bcs conference teams really looking ahead or being sandwiched so they should just hammer this team.

Ramble -- LT has lost by 11 or more on the road 10 of their last 11 games. It won't be hard for you. Might consider a first half play too. Woodshed.

Woodshed? Dude, did you not hear me? We don't woodshed teams. It's not going to happen. We might cover 13 if you're lucky but we don't destroy teams, bottom line.

Mississippi last 33 scheduled games vs FBS opponents. Look at what their schedule has been like .... of course they haven't been winning games by woodshed scores .. they never face a woodshed team.

At Georgia
Florida
AT Vanderbilt
Missouri
AT Memphis
Mississippi State
AT LSU
Auburn
AT Arkansas
AT Alabama
Vanderbilt
Georgia
Wake Forest
At Kentucky
AT Missouri
Memphis
AT Mississippi State
LSU
Arkansas
AT Auburn
Kentucky
Alabama
At Tennessee
Wyoming
AT Vanderbilt
AT Memphis
Mississippi State
AT LSU
AT arkansas
Auburn
Tennessee
At South Carolina

Counselor , Aloe works well. And we ahve good games to get healthy on this week. time for our bookies to feel the wraith of our slappign balls.

What?!? Oh, yeah! Aloha to you, too!? I'll maybe talk to you later about games for next week, huh? O.K. Got to go, still busy...:whip:

Mahalo, my friend...

looks good, vk. with ya on rutgers...as well as a couple of those "talk me offs."

really like south carolina too. you think we'll see a 3 eventually?

VegasKyle,

I feel your pain, you and me sound like we are in the same boat and bet about the same amount. I have been treading water all year in NFL and NCAA, and it sucks. I finally am doing this stuff full time for the 1st year, and did not expect to start this mediocre/poorly. However, I have confidence I will get this thing turned around with continued discipline and trying to improve my plays.

As far as Nebraska/Missouri

I am a Mizzou alum and I am on Nebraska +7. Big game for both squads. I just feel Nebraska has the better balance on offense and I like getting a touchdown here. Mizzou has zero to little running game, and I feel Nebraska's biggest weakness on defense is their defensive line. I think Nebraska can match up with Mizzou in the linebacker and secondary units. Mizzou will get their points, but I have more faith in Nebraska's defense, although they have not shown it. I also think that Nebraska O-line will wear down this Mizzou defense and gash them on the ground. This will be a night game and fans will be charged here. But if you can get 7 I like the percentage play on the Huskers. Look at this way, if you get the Huskers +7 Mizzou has to win by more than 7 to beat you. I think Mizzou wins by the slimmest of margins here. I thought this line should have been about 4.5, so I think there is some value here with the Huskers. Everyone is overrreacting to their recent poor performances.

Just my .02

Georgia +2 and UCF -3 have been upgraded to my talk me offs lean list today.

Georgia +2 -- I am hoping more money comes in on Tennessee as I love Richt in these road spots, especially when he sports the more talented team. Georgia has played vs tough defenses vs south carolina and at alabama. Georgia is best defense Tennessee offense has seen to date and the vols have basically played vs 1 decent defense this year when they played the gators in florida. Vols got smoked in that one.

UCF -3 -- This central florida squad kind of looks like a team on a mission to me right now. They have basically been preparing for this matchup for two weeks, as they had ULL last week. ECU coming off nice road performance after hard earned victory at houston. Now back home to face another good running team. Struggled vs the run so far though they have played decent running offenses to date. I hate small road favorites ... and more precisely, small road favorites hate me.

Still a tad bit behind my capping for the week. As always the MAC is my last conference. I cannot seem to win a game involving a MAC team anyways, so maybe I should just stay away from those games. Please talk me off any of my "talk me off" leans. All input and information regarding games in my thread is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Eliminated Mississippi state from my strong leans list today. Mississippi state who was already playing their number 2 qb due to injury to henig , lost that backup to injury and will be going with a freshman qb this week. Not the scenario that I am willing to lay this kind of number with. Sometimes something looks more promising than it actually is. oh well.

Penn State -7.5 -- Penn State returns home and I look for a woodshed effort in this game. Iowa plays poorly vs a bad n illinois team , loses outright to an atrocious iowa state team, slaughters a terrible syracuse team , loses at wisconsin , and gets crushed at home by indiana ( though a slightly deceiving score ). I know a lot of folks won't want to trust the Nittany Lions after the past two road games ... but they are a deifferent team at home ... and how can you trust Iowa ? Is the question I would ask. Terrible match up for Hawkeyes too. Again , hopefully get you a write up on this one later in the week too. Definitely playing, hoping for a -7 somewhere that I have money.

I basically agree with everything you say in this little blurb. I hope you get your number

We like a lot of the same this week VK, I hope its a good thing..

SC, Missouri, UGA, UCF

ok added the two plays i told you that i would. Got Nittany lions at a good number. Also, looks like the money is starting to come in more on south carolina and as more and more 4's popped up around town i decided to go ahead and buy down to the -3. Makes me feel a lot safer in the event that woodson and his arm get a late backdoor score when I am up ten or eleven. In any event ... it leaves me with just one remaining strong lean for the week in unlv and it looks like that line is falling unfortunately. There is still hope that I find a decent total that I like or that there is a line move (drbob) that creates a play. Also still a chance with unlv to make the card. A talk me off lean has yet to make my card this year but csu , mizzu and georgia are getting very close to entering the strong leans category. ucf is almost off my list due to uncertainty of stud rb. More to come later.

I realize that I promised some write ups this week and I will really really try but I am flying out of Vegas to Dallas on thursday and catching the Red River Shootout between OUSUCKS/Texas ( thank you texasfight ) on saturday. This shortens my week a great deal and due to time constraints I may not fulfill those promises. Due to vacationing, I am now severely pressed on time in order to get my next weeks games pre-capped before saturday injuries , boxes , etc etc... so I apologize in advance as I am pretty sure I just cannot get it done this week.

O.K. I've made a statement a couple places in the forum (and actually mistakenly posted this in the OU/Texas thread mentioned NOTHING about iowa/penn st.), but now I'm putting it into the form of a question. Why, after the way this team has performed the last couple of weeks, and especially at the QB position, does penn st. deserve any more of our money? I REFUSE to play this game, just as I am no longer playing clemson again....ever. I'm just curious. What have they done?

It might be about what Iowa has not done. Christensen is probably worse than Morelli (can't believe I am saying that), and while both Ds are good, PSU's is likely better.

vegaskyle - Just thought I'd give you my reasoning behind Tulsa...

Tulsa -3 @ UTEP --> In all honesty, I expected this line to be around 7. I do think UTEP is getting just a little bit too much respect here, after crushing an 0-5 Texas Southern team and eeking out a win against a now 1-4 SMU team (in Overtime) in the last two weeks. IMO, Tulsa has had the tougher schedule (with games against Oklahoma and BYU), while UTEP's toughest oppoents have been Texas Tech and New Mexico.

When it really comes down to it in this game, I'm going with the more experienced QB. Senior Paul Smith has been a quality leader for the Golden Hurricanes, while UTEP Freshman Trevor Vittatoe is just getting his feet wet in conference play. Both defenses are terrible, but Tulsa has the clear advantage on Offense. The Golden Hurricans are averaging a whopping 550 total yards/game, as Smith averages 370 yards passing/game alone.

Most people think this game will be a complete shootout, but I have my doubts, as it is a conference matchup. Tulsa handled UTEP 30-20 last year, when the Miners still had Palmer. Now the Miners face Paul Smith and Co. with freshman Vittatoe at the helm. Even if it is a shootout, UTEP won't be able to keep up, as freshman mistakes are likely to happen.

Tulsa 44
UTEP 31

GL this week bro!

:cheers:

sir,

again, with all due respect, name a game that Nebraska has actually played well in?...Nevada? (a game where they looked like shit for a quarter and a half)...Wake? nope...USC, hell no...wait, what about Ball St.?, not at all...and lastly ISU, no again...Missouri's offense is as legit as they come, as is their home field advantage...as much as I don't like Gary Pinkel, I dislike Bill Callahan less...teams that have five bad games in a row to me just aren't good teams...

I realize that I promised some write ups this week and I will really really try but I am flying out of Vegas to Dallas on thursday and catching the Red River Shootout between OUSUCKS/Texas ( thank you texasfight ) on saturday. This shortens my week a great deal and due to time constraints I may not fulfill those promises. Due to vacationing, I am now severely pressed on time in order to get my next weeks games pre-capped before saturday injuries , boxes , etc etc... so I apologize in advance as I am pretty sure I just cannot get it done this week.

No excuses you little weasel! You make promises on this board, YOU DAMN WELL BETTER KEEP THEM! YOU HEAR ME?!?

:down2:

Counselor -- did i just get called a weasel by a golf course gopher ? hehe sorry bud , but it does not look like write ups this week.

pags -- pretty much agree with everything in your post other than the fact that i like callahan better than pinkel.

Aztec -- thanks buddy for including the UTEP write up in here. Always love to hear what people think of my mighty miners. Not too happy that you think my school loses at home this week but I agree with most of what you say in there. Vittatoe is getting better each week though ... and while Tulsa did handle miners last year it was at the hurricanes and remember utep rushing numbers on the road last year . C"MON MINERS !!
If my boys lose this week atleast i know you cashed a ticket and made some money off of them. Don't see how UTEP stops tulsa offense.

ETG -- your boys better not let me down !

huntdog --:cheers: thanks bro

lindetrain -- still think georgia wins but eliminated any financial investment today. If a trap is sprung , I won't be caught in it this week. hope your kentucky wildcats lose big. hehe

rsms --:tiphat: got the number ! woot.

sirwinzalot -- usually we are in agreement but the more i look at the mizz/corn game ... the more i think tigers take care of them. actually upgraded this play today to a strong lean. if i lay off , then you can cover ... i am so greedy.

yanks -- lets hope rutgers does it for us. as far as the 3 goes in the s carolina game ... i am not sure .. started seeing 4's pop up around town and just went ahead and bought down to the 3. S carolina my favorite play so far this year so i hope the number doesnt come into play much but want to avoid woodson throwing late creating a backdoor situation.

Ramble -- have faith in your rebs ! enjoyed our AIM conversations this week about a bunch of games.

ok ..... now for some housekeeping. I was up all night capping again and was able to eliminate some games from my talk me offs. ucf , georgia , illinois , ncstate , csu , boise st and purdue have all been eliminated as possible plays this week. I upgraded mizzu to a strong lean at home to the corn. Mizz and unlv are my only remaining games as a possible play barring major line movement.

weather report for games that i have played

kentucky at south carolina -- scattered thunderstorms, wind 8mph, 40% chance of precipitation. Any bad weather i think gives the gamecocks that more of an advantage as it generally ( though not always ) hurts the passing ( woodson) game more.

Cincinnati at Rutgers -- weather report calls for a beautiful day.

Iowa at Penn state -- weather report calls for a beautiful day

Lousiana Tech at Mississippi -- isolated thunderstorms , 30% chance of precipitation, 8mph winds. Any bad weather here hurts us a bit as we are laying 13 and have the more explosive players.

strong lean weather:

unlv at air force -- expected showers. not sure who this helps. might be harder to cut for the veer option attack of air force but one slip by a defender in assignment defense could mean long runs for the falcons. air force rarely passes so it hurts unlv pass game more. if the showers bog the game down though it may help to have the points. difficult to assess who the weather benefits here.

nebraska at mizzouri -- isolated thunderstorms , 30 percent chance of precipitation , wind 15 mph. This report is a bit alarming for tiger backers. not only would thunderstorms hinder the passing attack but high winds could as well. definite advantage for corn if the storm hits the stadium.

Be careful on that under VegasKyle. San Diego State defense is pure and utter shit, I know I had to watch that atrocity as they got waxed by the Bearcats. Caleb Hanie is a really good qb and with Bell pounding the ball, I don't see the Aztecs having an answer here. Also San Diego State has a respectable passing game. O'Connell looks like a solid qb to me. I had this game pegged as over. I think the scoreboard operator stays busy in this contest. I beg you to look at this total more closely, I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

I stare deeply into my crystal ball ....... I see rain .... wait wait ... it is also somewhat cold . The passing games of both squads hindered greatly and as CSU takes an early lead they turn to Kyle ( damn he has a good name ) Bell to wear down the san diego state defense ... as they methodically move the ball...... under baby !

Not to mention these teams like to play low scoring games.

2006 23 points
2005 40 points
2004 38 points
2003 27 points
2002 70 points

SDSU AWAY 2006 team points scored -----------total points scored
at new mexico sdsu 14 pts total game points 55
at tcu sdsu 0 pts total game points 52
at Wyoming sdsu 24pts total game points 51
at Byu sdsu 17 pts total game points 64
at sjsu sdsu 10 pts total game points 41
at wisconsin sdsu 0 pts total game points 14
at washington st sdsu 17 pts total game points 62
at arizona state sdsu 13 points total game points 47

San Diego State has not only played in a considerable number of unders on the road ... but their lack of scoring is the key component in making that happen. Note that the two road games they played this year were against two pretty strong offensive teams and in the case of washington state a swiss cheese defense.

Colorado State Home 2006 team pts --------------total pts

colorado csu 14pts total pts 24
unlv csu 28 pts total pts 35
new mexico csu 19pts total pts 39
byu csu 3 pts total pts 27
tcu csu 14 pts total pts 59
California csu 28 pts total pts 62

Again note that csu has played in very low scoring games at home. The lone game over 60 points was vs California and we know how good their offense is. In the case of csu at home , they don't tend to score in the thirties ( zero times in 2006 and zero in their one game this year ) and their opponent does not tend to score in the thirties ( once in 2006 and once this year vs cal ). In fact prior to the game with CAL you have to go all the way back to the first home game of 2003 ( actually more of a neutral field but lets call it a home game) to find a game that went over 70 points. Now they only need to get to 60 but you see my point about high scoring games in this stadium .. they just dont seem to happen often.

CSU has seen offenses of colorado, houston , california and TCU .. only one of which was at home and played them decently for the most part. I doubt the aztec offense gets too much on track for this game. In addition as I said above .... I have a very very strong feeling that this game is played in the rain for most of the game and the temperature should be in the low fifties in altitude. Tough environment for the passing games, and slow trodding for the skillplayers. Weather is never a guarantee but it is one more likely component to keeping this under the number.

That's my story and I am sticking to it. Hope you are not on the other side of me on this one as I am very confident. Of course I was pretty confident that the arkansas/alabama game would be low scoring as well and we know how that turned out. As I said in earlier post, we have tended to be like minded so far this year but I am going to have to disagree with you on this one.

Vegaskyle,

I knew you had reasons, was just curious what they were. I just know that I have seen both teams play, and I don't like either's defense and both offenses seem capable. I hope you get it. This has been a very frustrating season in NCAA and NFL for me so far, so what do I know. It appears you have experienced similar frustrations. Our records are about the same as are the results. I plan to get this thing turned around, but until then I like to bitch about my poor performance.

I eliminated the rest of my leans today as plays. UNLV and Missouri fell just short of making the card.

UNLV -- this team just never performs up to expectation on the road and the number I wanted on the game simply never materialized. I liked this game much more when it sat on +6 but it is 4.5 most places now and I doubt it moves upward unless drbob is on air force.

missouri -- This game did not start out as a strong lean to begin with but as I checked every detail , it became more and more likely that I play them. Unfortunately this line moved a solid 7 everywhere and my weatherman says there is atleast a decent chance of weather for this one , including 15-20 mph winds. If this is the case then the nebraska offensive line may indeed wear down the mizz defense as sirwinzalot stated in an earlier post. Between the number hitting a very key number , creating a situation where I need a whole extra score to win and the decent possibility of a weather situation that benefits the other side I decided I could not back this game with my money.

In both the unlv case and the missouri case I lost considerable value in the lines while examining a lot of minutia on the games. Numbers are very important and you need look no further than last night when the memphis backers at -2.5 cashed a winner while those at -3 took a push, and perhaps even moer importantly ... the marshall backers at +2.5 took a loss as compared to the +3 folks getting a push. This settles my card for the week most likely.

Back