Washington -9.5
Washington/USC Under 59
Cinc/Marshall Under 47
New Mexico 7.5
Nebraska 17.5
UNLV 10
UCLA 7

I cannot talk you off Virginia.

SMU, no idea. It wasn't on my radar till the Gabe thread and then I started laughing.

As an outsider, talk to me about UM 27.5

I get the over there...and if I knew I had all QB's healthy would be on it in a heartbeat.

NW plays make sense. This is a slow start week for Wisky methinks.

Wash and the under, totally agree.

BYU, agree.

All I have for now.

I was already on NW, BYU & UCLA. Added to them.

Had UNLV & A&M as leans. A&M should cover easily, but I've seen them fumble games like this and win by 16

Thanks for posting.

Let's talk about the Virginia - ND game a little.

Evident that UVA was not into that game last week and ODU really was. If not for a defensive score and a bad 4th down decision by Wilder giving UVA a nice short field TD ODU may've actually been able to win that game. I asked you last week about how you evaluate teams off bad games coming through with better effort and with your response in mind, I think we can rule the ODU result as the exception and not the rule for UVA. Right? UVA did outgain FSU 415-331 even though FSU was knocking on the door at the end (thanks to 45 yards in penalties on Noles final drive). FSU's punting played a large role as well backing UVA up twice and in turn setting the Noles up for good field position on two ensuing drives where they got short fields to work with (and 10 pts). UVA limited FSU to just 29att-95 rushing (Akers 18-78). UVA run D has been strong...vs all comers...Pitt not a great run O this year, but held them to 30att-78, 35att-78, 29att-95, 44att-65. Part of those run numbers are impacted by sacks, UVA has 20 already this year compared to 26 all of last year. 13 of those came vs W&M and ODU, but it still represents a nice improvement. 39 TFLs through 4 games, 62 in 13 games last year. So I think UVA D can get after it in that respect. And ND has failed to run the ball vs virtually anyone, it make me wonder if they even want to? Only 14 attempts vs Georgia? only 4.13 ypc vs New Mexico? Jones did go over 100 vs LV and Book chipping with 80 there. All that said, I think UVA run D should be up for it. I have to run here for pretty much the next 2 days. Maybe some others can chime in on how UVA secondary matches up or what ND might do vs Hoos O. We saw how big of a role Kmet can play. He is a tough matchup and ND has some nice WR options.

BYU just better in trenches? Lose their best RB and now travel east for an early start....some reverse line movement action as well.....

BYU just better in trenches? Lose their best RB and now travel east for an early start....some reverse line movement action as well.....

I just think BYU does whatever they want on offense and trust their D more than Toledo. I have watched a lot of BYU and just kind of impressed with what they are doing this year. Team is tested for sure and this might have been a bad spot off a win against washington but they didn't win but off the loss they should be focused. When they went east last year all they did was beat Wisconsin and I think this BYU team has more moxie than last years club. Some class relief here. Toledo, conversely, somehow just won a game inwhich they gave up just short of 700 yards to CSU and have Western Michigan on deck for the most important conference game on their schedule to win the MAC West. Better team, better come from behind team, byu matches up well defensively to toledo strengths, Byu matches up well offensively against toledo weaknesses. Sign me up.

I can’t say I recall you ever double dipping games like this (side and total). Are you changing your approach, or do you see something in these game to lead you to play both? Seeing the over on Mich and Wisky intrigue me. I have these as under games, but the fear of defensive scores is holding me off both. Wisky seems like they can name their number, but after last week I figured they would be content to just sit on the ball and run clock. Mich doesn’t seem like they can reach that number by themselves, but I don’t trust Rutgers to help much even if the Wolverines are down this year on the defensive side. I can see JH running it up out of anger or sense of booster appeasing. What are you seeing in these two?

I can’t say I recall you ever double dipping games like this (side and total). Are you changing your approach, or do you see something in these game to lead you to play both? Seeing the over on Mich and Wisky intrigue me. I have these as under games, but the fear of defensive scores is holding me off both. Wisky seems like they can name their number, but after last week I figured they would be content to just sit on the ball and run clock. Mich doesn’t seem like they can reach that number by themselves, but I don’t trust Rutgers to help much even if the Wolverines are down this year on the defensive side. I can see JH running it up out of anger or sense of booster appeasing. What are you seeing in these two?

I did it quite a bit last year. It isn't new.

I think both the michigan game and wisconsin game certainly have potential to be crap-fest low scoring games. But I actually do like Michigan to post a big number here and I think Wisconsins defense is quite a bit overrated right now, not that they are not really good and not that Northwestern is a team that will light them up, but they haven't exactly played juggernauts. And NW's last two game are at least somewhat promising offensively 441 vs UNLV and 265 vs MSU. You have to go back to 1983 to find a game where NW was shut out by wisconsin, so I am thinking I get something, and I don't need much to be at low risk for losing both. Also, wiscy off the big win, reading their press clippings, celebrating all week and I could see them flat at the start. This could be a 35-6 game and I go home crying, that is certainly very possible. Still ... Wisconsin just beat Michigan and NW has struggled and needs to focus. Seems good.

As for Michigan, I have seen enough of Rutgers to know they will do two things in this game:
1. Not be able to run on Michigan
2. Attempt to force the ball into small windows

I think Michigan gets a lot of short fields and I wouldn't be shocked to see them average over 5 yards per play on offense against the knights D ... I wouldn't be surprosed at all if Michigan reached the total on their own though I don't expect it. After the beatdown and negative press they took last week, they either hang their heads and mope out there or they respond. gonna go with the later. My real worry is rutgers not getting more than 3 or 6 points but the way Michigan likes to gift points themselves, they probably find a TD somewhere. This is gonna be a beatdown.

Last edited:
I probably should have taken BC team total under rather than game under fwiw. Live and learn ... but I would prefer that to what I did as of right now so if anyone tails, I think that is the better way to lose your money on that game than just losing it on the under.

You got balls to lay that with Michigan. I see a team in total disarray and that is a HUGE number.
Let’s say we both think Rutgers sucks....I get it.
But what did you make the number 30-31?

Look at last year's threads...

Memphis hasnt shown the ability to move consistently and Brady White looks a lot more like Betty White out there than Tom Brady. Perry getting banged up end of fieat half which would be helpful if he cannot go and they have to rely on the frosh.

Kr td
75 yd td
And navy throwing perfect passes for big plays

I will take my chances

With all the pre-season hype about Michigan, is this the game they finally break out ?
I’m betting ‘Yes’
We are getting to that point in the season that undefeated teams tighten up under the collar. But I will not talk you off Virginia despite the fact I intend to be on N D.
I do not think this is the week Wisconsin falters, but I’m hoping I’m wrong. Fitzgerald is my favorite coach but NW appears overmatched here.
Strongly agree with you on BYU, and you can explain the reasoning much better than I can.

I'm reluctantly on mich as well and extremely concerned that the team has flat out quit.
Some players yes, as a whole I don't think so. We'll see. The biggest thing here is Shea is hurt too. No DMC.. joe Milton hopefully gets reps (instead of sacrificial end of blowout reps). Very curious how aggressive they are after a lead. Now... Short fields will help. You might see some interesting guys on field. Fwiw...

You were owed one.

Yup and the draw would have been tough with the hook.

Game was stupid. Mostly feel bad for Navy backers.

Long KR Td
Long TD run (otherwise not very good running overall)
Long TD pass (Brady could barely find the field all game, let alone make that throw)
Navy O stopped - looked like Perry was done getting hit.

I'm just getting back into things...the Virginia game, what have you decided?

The tough question to answer is will UVA O do enough? I am leaning Virginia but do have some concerns about their O.

So more points than Wisconsin has allowed all year, or the same amount of points NW managed in the Stanford and MSU games combined?

Hmmmm, it is pretty rare for me not to see a way a big dog like this can make a game of it....maybe the best hope is that Fitz and staff went back to the drawing board this week and just try something completely new?

Care to expand upon anything related to NW?

Thanks.

So more points than Wisconsin has allowed all year, or the same amount of points NW managed in the Stanford and MSU games combined?

Hmmmm, it is pretty rare for me not to see a way a big dog like this can make a game of it....maybe the best hope is that Fitz and staff went back to the drawing board this week and just try something completely new?

Care to expand upon anything related to NW?

Thanks.
I watched both games though and they left pts off the board. I am driving but will tonight when i get home

Let's recap and grade .. I have at least 3 F-Minus bets this week ... *ducks*....

Memphis/Navy 2H under Win Grade D - There are some things I got right with this bet .. .Part of the decision factored in that perry looked to be injured tail end of the first half and he CLEARLY was not 100% the second half and it derailed the Navy offense. The other thing that I got right was the pace of play but hard to give myself too much credit on that given it is an option football team half the time and that is the nature of the beast. Still there were shy of 60 second half plays I believe so pace was correct. However, the play got pretty lucky as I want to say it was sitting on 24 pts with 11 minutes to go or so and Brady White missed a guy a million yards open for a would be TD on a scoreless drive for Memphis. Memphis came out and was much better offensively second half. The halftimes are always harder to grade but sticking to my guns even though there are some things that I got right that played a key role.

SJSU/AFA Over Win Grade A - 25-24 first down edge for SJSU, 513 - 378 yardage edge for AFA. I want to say SJSU was stopped on downs 4 times on plays originating from the AFA 25 to 1 yard line in the game so a lot of points were left off the scoreboard as well. Heck AFA fumbled on second and goal from the SJSU 4. Not much to add here.

ASU/CAL Under 40 loser Grade B - Either last week or the week before I had Tulsa at a good number and remember typing that those tailing probably lost. This time, I had a really bad number and I lost while most people who might have been tailing won. This was hard to grade too because I was definitely a benefactor to an ingame injury to the Cal starting QB and there is a huge drop off to the backup Modster. My bet lost after an ASU TD late and then Cal failing to get a first down after going for it on fourth down, which left enough time for ASU to be stopped on a 3 and out and still be in FG range. Under bettors did benefit from a couple of missed FGs though too. 19 -13 fd edge for ASU, A total of just 610 yards flatters the handicapping with ASU holding a 365 to 245 advantage. As a general rule, it is pretty tough to lose an under bet with that level on production by the offenses. With that said, early TD's by both squads in both halves made the bet feel like an uphill climb all game and when you are going under a number this low in college football, you know there are going to be a few games where they just somehow find enough points. It's hard to go lower than a B here though based on the box score and based on the fact that I would bet this again having watched the game.

Northwestern +24 Grade B Over Grade FMINUS - Now this is going to seem like an odd grade for the NW side because one could argue they outplayed Wisconsin as a 4 score dog. The reason I am grading it this way is that part of my grading process is how I handicap the game itself. Meaning, there is no doubt that NW plus the 4 scores was the correct play as the game played out. Zero. But the game didn't play out like I expected at all. I knew this type of game was possible but I thought Wisconsin would be able to move the ball and score some and it would force NW to throw to some and I felt the Wisconsin secondary is a little more suspect than some think. But Wisconsin could do absolutely nothing on offense .. they converted a fourth down early for a TD and never scored another offensive TD all game. That hurts given the total was 1 TD short of cashing. Who would have guessed that????? NW failed to take advantage of Wisconsin targeting suspensions in the first half and then in the third quarter the Wisconsin defense sort of dominated the game. Wisconsin had two defensive scores, sack fumble recovery for TD and Interception return for TD, in the second half. Then NW was forced to throw and while some of it was garbage time, wisconsin did look vulnerable. Ready for some insane stats???? NW had a 21-13 first down edge, and a 255-243 yardage advantage. 498 total yards between them and as mentioned, a bunch of the NW yards were late and could potentially be considered garbage. Betting an over with less than 500 combined yards is just an awful bet and there were NOT missed opportunities like dropped passes or missed open receivers, the two defenses dominated. The key play for determining the outright winner was a dubious penalty on a long punt return by NW in the third quarter when they trailed 7-3. Instead of being in position to gain a few yards and be in FG range or to make a play with momentum from a starting point inside the Wiscy 40 they were backed up and then the sack, fumble, TD occurred. I thought the refs realized they blew that call and cost NW their chance at the game from that point and NW did benefit from a horrible noncall on pass interference later in the game. Pretty bad effort from the wiscy offense or a pretty great effort from the NW defense. That total was a really bad handicap because I just completely missed Wiscy not being able to score which allowed NW to stay in their shell.

Side note ... can someone explain to me what NW coach was doing with the two point tries?

More coming .....

I think these coaches of bad offenses are going for 2 just for extra reps. The real question is would northwestern been able to have won this game if wisconsins offense wasn't even allowed on the field ? I think hunter johnson dropback strip sacks is the only scoring play a team needs to beat nwestern. And I'm trying to figure out who has a worse pocket presence, long windup and feet plant as a defender is down his back, and hold the ball more loosely - the virginia qb or hunter johnson. I think wisconsin had 14 points off hunter johnson strips and nd 2 tds. And of course , the infamous hunter johnson strip sack even as the pocket is rolling away from the defense against stanford as the worst bad beat of the year.

These qbs will literally try to throw your bet away. I had nw against stanford and the nd/virginia under , though that may not have cashed anyway the 2 quick defensive tds in the 2nd half when the offenses couldnt move changed the complexion of the game.

NW got a new qb in there at the end and he looked better. unfortunately i'm not sure if it's because johnson got hurt or fitzgerald realizes he needs a change.

Biggest play IMO in the wisky/nw game was the personal foul penalty on the 1st quarter punt that was blocked. Wisky would've had it at the NW and I think they score 7 there and the rout is on.

Instead NW gets the ball back at their 30 and marches down the field for a fg. Wisky didnt wake up again until sometime in the 3rd quarter.

Biggest play IMO in the wisky/nw game was the personal foul penalty on the 1st quarter punt that was blocked. Wisky would've had it at the NW and I think they score 7 there and the rout is on.

Instead NW gets the ball back at their 30 and marches down the field for a fg. Wisky didnt wake up again until sometime in the 3rd quarter.

That was a very big play. Not sure the rout is on though ... unless you think NW quits. Wisconsin offense did nothing the entire game basically. They went for it and made a fourth and two and scored on that play. So standard three down football didn't generate them a single TD. Maybe NW hangs their head and maybe when the cats are forced to open up they get bit, like they eventually did.

I think the blown call on the punt return was the biggest call as far as changing the game dynamic because it led to the sack, fumble, TD and completely changed the complexion of the game. At the time it happened, i thought that was pretty much ball game based on what nw offense had (not) done.

Back