time to post my week 3 card so far

I was just really impressed with my eye test on USM. Mullens playing really well. And they did it vs. competition (miss st) ... While the average offenses are similar in numbers it is only because Texas State went wild on Prairie View. Meanwhile, Texas St gave up about 400 to PV and 636 to FSU. I just think USM is the team more likely to find stops as the game progresses. Had they been more fortunate they beat Miss State. The game may very well be a coin flip and I will take the pts in that scenario and don't see too many scenarios where USM doesn't hit 30.

I was just really impressed with my eye test on USM. Mullens playing really well. And they did it vs. competition (miss st) ... While the average offenses are similar in numbers it is only because Texas State went wild on Prairie View. Meanwhile, Texas St gave up about 400 to PV and 636 to FSU. I just think USM is the team more likely to find stops as the game progresses. Had they been more fortunate they beat Miss State. The game may very well be a coin flip and I will take the pts in that scenario and don't see too many scenarios where USM doesn't hit 30.

oh boy do I agree. I did wager the USM O 4.5 wins preseason.....even put pennies on them conference 66/1 and had them against Missy St (been busy, haven't been able to post on the board). Not saying they are THAT good by any means, but they are much improved. It all hinges on how all their transfers do.....which so far is good. Hell, last year they would have beaten last weeks opponent by 7-14 pts.

I actually thought TXST's win over Prairie was more impressive than USM's over Austin Peay, if not by much. The TXST win played out how you'd think it would looking at PV's 2014 stats -- PV was pretty good at passing the ball and had a lousy defense in 2014 and that's how they played against TXST. Austin Peay, on the other hand, was flat out terrible at everything last year. Mullens might have had an okay day against what was expected to be a not so good MSST secondary, but he had pretty poor numbers against AP, completing barely more than 50% of his passes for less than 7 ypp on 40 attempts against one of the worst defenses in the FCS. Not sure if it was a windy day there or what, lol. TXST's pass defense numbers have been pretty poor, but this might be the weakest pass offense they've faced yet this season, might it not? Anyway, I'd still give USM the advantage in the passing game here, and TXST the advantage in the run game. I think those match ups favor the home team. Anyway, kinda' fun to try and read the tea leaves of these two teams.

Jones out indefinitely. They really quit after the Jones injury. And that was when Mahomes couldn't hit anything downfield for TTU.
I like Leftwich. Had a lot of drops.
I want to like UTEP. Will probably step in to a play on them, but would like to see Kugler stay away from the wildcat.

Against you on Rice. Good luck there.

Press

Curious on the rationale for Charlotte/MTSU under play? Seem to recall comments specifically about how bad Charlotte pass D is and lack of overall team speed on defense. Stockstill seems to be a pretty decent qb overall and just wondering if your thoughts are more towards Charlotte not being able to do anything offensivley?

Curious on the rationale for Charlotte/MTSU under play? Seem to recall comments specifically about how bad Charlotte pass D is and lack of overall team speed on defense. Stockstill seems to be a pretty decent qb overall and just wondering if your thoughts are more towards Charlotte not being able to do anything offensivley?

Probably shouldn't speak for him and he can correct me if I'm mistaken but yeah, his thought is Charlotte won't be able to do anything offensively

Isn't 17 points a lot to give in BYU game? Freshman QB still. Line is tripping me out.

Thoughts?

Tough work and play week. I will try to respond to a few things tomorrow.

ADD

Clemson/Ville under 52

Could not agree more on this one. Spot on in my opinion. Prairie View is the ultimate FCS cupcake.

Jones out indefinitely. They really quit after the Jones injury. And that was when Mahomes couldn't hit anything downfield for TTU.
I like Leftwich. Had a lot of drops.
I want to like UTEP. Will probably step in to a play on them, but would like to see Kugler stay away from the wildcat.

Against you on Rice. Good luck there.

Press

I can't believe I am saying this ... but I sort of trust Kugler to do the right thing (I am not sure what is). He has been a pleasant surprise.

Dwight touches on it (thanks). THE 85's--- charlotte is currently 85th in the nation after two weeks averaging just 5.39 yards per play. That is against the ga st and Presbyterian defenses. Meanwhile mtsu is currently 85th in yards per play defense. But it was 276 Jackson st and 532 bama. MTSU rush defense held Jackson st to 5 yards rushing and bama to just a smidge over the tide's 2014 average. So I don't think the 49ers will have success running the ball and while MTSU has struggled in pass defense, I have seen enough of their qb play to feel they don't light up the scoreboard. As you mention, the defensive team speed for charlotte is really bad .. Arbuckle for ga st missed so many open deep balls in the opener. I do think mtsu puts up a number and considered laying the points with them. I usually tend to be pretty focused on pace for totals as well ... which is a huge concern for this game. 49ers have not played nearly as fast as I expected them to but then again they have been playing from the lead. So if the 49ers get behind early, which is likely, they may play faster than they have been and their offense has run a lot of plays. MTSU has a bit of pace to them too. 49ers qb is going to turn it over and that type of thing can hurt or help depending on where it happens. I just think a total this high usually needs both parties to participate and don't see the benefit to mtsu to make this a long game after being in a physical bama game last week and a trip to Illinois the week after. Bad 49ers turnovers, potential pace and the big plays that will be available to mtsu are the concerns.

thoughts on ODU under? I lean the other way.

I don't think ODU can score on ncstate. Wolfpack defense nasty to start the year, and ODU seems more committed to slowing it down, per dollaz. If you are committed to slowing it down, then you are definitely committed to doing so early as a big home underdog. Meanwhile, I see the game a sleepy spot for NCSU and don't see them scoring mid forties which is what they will have to do to get this over the total. I think this is more like a 37-17 type game.

Btw I find this line interesting .... troy was getting four td at ncstate and odu is getting 17 at home ... it implies odu would be a td favorite to troy.

Thanks to the well wishers.

Gabe - in regards to BYU. I think the spot is a very difficult one for the cougars. Two huge emotional wins at the very end against two quality opponents and then a trip to southern California for the Bruins. I know the 29 year olds on BYU are more mature than you average football player but that seems like a tall order this week. And the BYU QB was at home in his first start and this is a different animal. I am actually a believer in the UCLA QB down the line, think he is serviceable for what they need now with an incredible supporting cast. I am more apt to fade ucla in games where I think the opposing DL will have a ton of success and I doubt that is the case here. It's clear BYU won't quit so the backdoor could be open and my pr says the value is on byu and not ucla but I just despise the spot for them.

Thanks Steed, Simp.

BTW ... I have been hearing a lot about Coach Cutcliffe heading into this week. But when did Pat Fitzgerald become a coaching slouch?

Dwight touches on it (thanks). THE 85's--- charlotte is currently 85th in the nation after two weeks averaging just 5.39 yards per play. That is against the ga st and Presbyterian defenses. Meanwhile mtsu is currently 85th in yards per play defense. But it was 276 Jackson st and 532 bama. MTSU rush defense held Jackson st to 5 yards rushing and bama to just a smidge over the tide's 2014 average. So I don't think the 49ers will have success running the ball and while MTSU has struggled in pass defense, I have seen enough of their qb play to feel they don't light up the scoreboard. As you mention, the defensive team speed for charlotte is really bad .. Arbuckle for ga st missed so many open deep balls in the opener. I do think mtsu puts up a number and considered laying the points with them. I usually tend to be pretty focused on pace for totals as well ... which is a huge concern for this game. 49ers have not played nearly as fast as I expected them to but then again they have been playing from the lead. So if the 49ers get behind early, which is likely, they may play faster than they have been and their offense has run a lot of plays. MTSU has a bit of pace to them too. 49ers qb is going to turn it over and that type of thing can hurt or help depending on where it happens. I just think a total this high usually needs both parties to participate and don't see the benefit to mtsu to make this a long game after being in a physical bama game last week and a trip to Illinois the week after. Bad 49ers turnovers, potential pace and the big plays that will be available to mtsu are the concerns.
Thanks for your thoughts Kyle, BOL today.

[TABLE="width: 1057"]
<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col span="4"><col></colgroup><tbody>[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Investment[/TD]
[TD]In [/TD]
[TD]Current/Close[/TD]
[TD]Variance[/TD]
[TD]Final Score[/TD]
[TD]Result[/TD]
[TD]Win[/TD]
[TD]Loss [/TD]
[TD]Tie[/TD]
[TD]Notes[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]1[/TD]
[TD]Wake Forest -3[/TD]
[TD]-3[/TD]
[TD]-7[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]Wake 17 Army 14[/TD]
[TD]push[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Wolford injured first series, also wind[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]2[/TD]
[TD]ASU -24[/TD]
[TD]-24[/TD]
[TD]-25.5[/TD]
[TD]1.5[/TD]
[TD]ASU 34 UNM 10[/TD]
[TD]push[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]3[/TD]
[TD]Rice -6[/TD]
[TD]-6[/TD]
[TD]-7[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]Rice 38 UNT 24[/TD]
[TD]Winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]4[/TD]
[TD]Latech 11[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]ksu 39 Latech 33 3OT[/TD]
[TD]Winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]23-23 after regulation[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]5[/TD]
[TD]Navy -2[/TD]
[TD]-2[/TD]
[TD]-4.5[/TD]
[TD]2.5[/TD]
[TD]Navy 45 ecu 21[/TD]
[TD]Winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]6[/TD]
[TD]SJSU 8[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]SJSU 21 OsU 35[/TD]
[TD]loser[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]QB play sjsu regressing. [/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]7[/TD]
[TD]UTEP -4[/TD]
[TD]-4[/TD]
[TD]-3[/TD]
[TD]-1[/TD]
[TD]UTEP 50 nmsu 47[/TD]
[TD]loser[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]44-44 after regulation. Bad Cap. Bad number cost me a push. So worst work of the year.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]8[/TD]
[TD]UNC -7[/TD]
[TD]-7[/TD]
[TD]-6.5[/TD]
[TD]-0.5[/TD]
[TD]UNC 48 Ill 14[/TD]
[TD]Winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]9[/TD]
[TD]cin -18[/TD]
[TD]-18[/TD]
[TD]-20[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]cin 37 moh 33[/TD]
[TD]loser[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]check GK status. Concussion?[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]10[/TD]
[TD]neb 4 -120[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]3.5[/TD]
[TD]0.5[/TD]
[TD]neb 33 mia 36[/TD]
[TD]Winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]wrong side winner[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]11[/TD]
[TD]NW 3 -105[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]3.5[/TD]
[TD]-0.5[/TD]
[TD]nw 19 duke 10[/TD]
[TD]Winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]kickoff return, turnovers[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]12[/TD]
[TD]temple/umass over 53.5[/TD]
[TD]-53.5[/TD]
[TD]-55[/TD]
[TD]1.5[/TD]
[TD]Tem 25 umass 23[/TD]
[TD]loser[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]17-17 HT and loses. Ouch[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]13[/TD]
[TD]ncsu/odu under 62[/TD]
[TD]62[/TD]
[TD]57[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]ncsu 38 odu 14[/TD]
[TD]Winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]good Cap[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]14[/TD]
[TD]charlotte/mtsu under 60[/TD]
[TD]60[/TD]
[TD]66[/TD]
[TD]-6[/TD]
[TD]mtsu 73 charlotte 14[/TD]
[TD]loser[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]Ov hit halfway through 2qtr[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]15[/TD]
[TD]ball st/emu over 61.5[/TD]
[TD]-61.5[/TD]
[TD]-61.5[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]ball 28 emu 17[/TD]
[TD]loser[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]16[/TD]
[TD]Col/CSU under 59.5[/TD]
[TD]59.5[/TD]
[TD]56[/TD]
[TD]3.5[/TD]
[TD]Colorado 27 Csu 24[/TD]
[TD]Winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]24-24 after regulation. Bad FG kicking[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]17[/TD]
[TD]UTEP / NMSU under 62.5[/TD]
[TD]62.5[/TD]
[TD]60[/TD]
[TD]2.5[/TD]
[TD]UTEP 50 nmsu 47[/TD]
[TD]loser[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]18[/TD]
[TD]Indiana/Wky over 68[/TD]
[TD]-68[/TD]
[TD]-72[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]ind 38 wky 35[/TD]
[TD]Winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]19[/TD]
[TD]Troy 35.5[/TD]
[TD]35.5[/TD]
[TD]28.5[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]Troy 3 Wis 28[/TD]
[TD]Winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]20[/TD]
[TD]USM 3[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]usm 56 tex st 50[/TD]
[TD]Winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]Best cap of the week[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]21[/TD]
[TD]USM tex st over 64.5[/TD]
[TD]-64.5[/TD]
[TD]-66.5[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]usm 56 tex st 50[/TD]
[TD]Winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]Best cap of the week[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"]22[/TD]
[TD]clemson ville under 52[/TD]
[TD]52[/TD]
[TD]54[/TD]
[TD]-2[/TD]
[TD]Clem 20 Ville 17[/TD]
[TD]Winner[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD]0[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Total Variance[/TD]
[TD]32[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Weekly Record[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Average Variance[/TD]
[TD]1.45[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="align: right"]65.0%[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="colspan: 5"]I beat the close this week by 32 total points over 22 games, or 1.45 pts per game.[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Previous Record[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="colspan: 5"]I beat the close this week in 16 of 22 games. I went 10-4-2 in those games ( 71.4% )[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]41[/TD]
[TD]32[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="colspan: 5"]I lost to the close this week in 5 games out of 22 games. I went 3-2 in those games ( 60% )[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="align: right"]56.2%[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="colspan: 5"]I had the same number as the close in 1 game out of 22 games. I went 0-1 in that game (0%)[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Overall Record[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]54[/TD]
[TD]39[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="align: right"]58.1%[/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD] [/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Feel this was the best capped week I have had this year which is good. I think I had my first game of the season where I lost a bet due to having a bad number. 90% of the world either cashed a utep -2.5 or pushed a utep -3 ticket and I managed to have -4. Live by the sword, die by the sword. I did have two pushes as the result of good numbers so not having the -2.5 vs the two pushes was a wash of sorts as far as the closing line value was concerned. In any event, I capped the UTEP game poorly and deservedly lost both the side and the total. Speaking of deserving ... I feel I finally had one of those ridiculous cover games go my way instead of holding the opposite ticket. Nebraska caught every break imaginable (including several from the officiating crew) to come from way back in the 4th to force overtime. Miami was the correct side there, obviously but as Gar often tells me ... we deserve a wrong side winner every now and then.

I had about 20 different people who I either talk to or read who are decent at cfb capping tell me to get the hell off of Charlotte/MTSU under or who just had the other side. I am not that regretful as far as taking the under (the over cashed midway through the second quarter) as I am about not backing MTSU.

SJSU is getting very bad QB play. They have open receivers but the QB is just drilling the ball into the ground on anything short and overthrowing on anything long. I would like to say that with a 7 point outright lead and getting 8 that SJSU losing by 14 was a bad beat ... after all one 2h oregon state score was set up by a dropped punt snap and another score occurred on an interception return. But I cannot because SJSU luckboxed to that 7 point lead to begin with, got every bit of assistance one could hope for on the road by the officiating staff, and didn't make but one or two decent plays the entire second half on offense. With the recruiting class SJSU had and the returning talent, I really expected more out of this team this year. It appears they are a year away, and even then only if they get their QB play sorted.

Wake Forest lost Wolford on the very first series. Hurt a wheel. He tried to come back and make a go of it but it wasn't to be. The backup is a running QB which isn't what you need against Army. He played inconsistently. Made a few big plays but his interception with a 7 point lead at midfield on third down was really bad. He was hit as he threw, I believe, but any conservative call there gets Wake the cover in most cases. Army had nothing on offense. Their other TD was also off a turnover though they drove a ways to get it. Anyway, I cannot feel bad about the handicap there.

ASU, following by play by play just appeared to be a bad investment and lucky to get a push there with the number

Ballst/EMU - I will have to watch it, if possible, on replay and have yet to examine the box score. Help accepted if you know what happened there.

Cin - Head scratcher to me. Lucky to have won. MOH let loose with barry sanders and hershel walker i guess. Note for the midweek game that Cin QB might be banged up.

Tem/Umass over - At 17-17 halftime, the two teams had to work hard to not go over. I was praying Temple would block the extra point and drive down for a fg because that would mean overtime and a great shot at making it pver the total. They did both... except they returned the block for two points. Haven't examined the box score yet to see why this lost.

So nothing really to complain about other than the unfortunate Wolford injury and pretty happy about the breaks I got in the Nebraska game though three different buddies had Miami and it made it harder for me to enjoy the BS win.

Speaking of buddies. One of my friends had UConn moneyline and I spent a lot of my morning with that being my main game for viewing. What a great bet that was. It didn't quite get there (Uconn coach matched Missouri coach in head scratching decisions) but it wasn't for lack of me trying to cheer it in. I am a narcissist when it comes to cfb (and most things) but for whatever reason I was cheering harder for that to win than anything I had all day.... though I came close in the SJSU game because I was getting frustrated.

Anyway, busy making lines for this week so I will quit rambling.

Back