Time to discuss the Thursday Nighter - Boston College @ Virginia Tech

Aztec4Life

Montezuma Mesa Survivor
10/25/07
5:00PM - PST

Boston College
Virginia Tech -3

'an_horse'

Just thought I'd post some trends to get the discussion started.

Some trends favoring BC...

1. Boston College is 6-1 ATS in its last 7 games when playing Virginia Tech.
2. Boston College is 4-1 ATS in its last 5 games when playing on the road against Virginia Tech.

Some trends favoring VT...

1. Virginia Tech is 8-2 SU in its last 10 games when playing Boston College.
2. Virginia Tech is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing at home against Boston College.
3. Virginia Tech is 5-0 SU in its last 5 games at home.

:cheers:

Boston College is also 6-1 SU and 6-1 ATS as an away underdog the last 3 years......... and that one SU and ATS came from....you guess it.... Va Tech in 2005, when Boston College lost by 20 as 13.5 pt. dogs on the road.

Great time for a VT play IMO.......

Solid revenge spot as BC beat them as a 3 pt dog in Boston last year, on Thurs. night ,even though VT outgained them in the game.....2 years ago in Blacksburg Hokies smoked them 30-10ish.........Public dog in every sense, looks to be about 50-50 action coming in (huge for a dog)...line hopped to 3.5 from 3 it appears........Like that Tech is showing some sense of an offense.....I see them sacking Ryan about 8 times and doin some old school "Beamer Ball" if you will

Yeah, I think BC is the better team, but I'm with aplous, this spot worries me a lot from a BC standpoint.

I really lost all confidence in BC when they were unable to put a terrible ND team away in the second half of that game, and, in fact, allowed them to stay in the game. I've watched too many Thurs. night Beamer-Ball in Blacksburg games over the past few years, and it seems they always end the same: special teams and defense coming up with scores. I don't know what VT's record is on Thurs. night at home, but I would guess it's pretty good. I don't really trust VT, either, but I trust them more being at home on a national stage with a relatively small number.

I really lost all confidence in BC when they were unable to put a terrible ND team away in the second half of that game, and, in fact, allowed them to stay in the game.

The memory of that game makes me cringe in pain.

I really lost all confidence in BC when they were unable to put a terrible ND team away in the second half of that game, and, in fact, allowed them to stay in the game.

Fucking kickers....

OU's squirrel screwed me that same night, too...

Yep, me, too. And that motherf**ker screwed me the week before as well.

Not that I'm still bitter or anything.

OU's squirrel screwed me that same night, too...

Yep, me, too. And that motherf**ker screwed me the week before as well.

Not that I'm still bitter or anything.

OH SHIT! THAT'S RIGHT!!! I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT THAT!!!!

No, not bitter. Me neither....:hang:

Putting money on any VT QB scares me, especially when they oppose a quality defense. We know BC can stop the run, and VT hasn't ran the ball well for the most of the season, so there is little doubt in my mind that the Hokies will have great difficulty establishing anything on the ground. On the flipside, VT can be beat by a good passing team, and Ryan has the weapons at his disposal to do so. From a statistical standpoint, BC is the play. I know that BC didn't cover against ND, but history shows that BC doesn't blow out teams that often. They are physical and have no qualms about pounding the ball. However, it is in Blackburg, and that does mean a lot.

my feelings, if you faded them, you'd be hitting atleast 62%

At first I was thinking VT at home but I was actually kind of expecting a home dog here. I think BC has not gotten much respect but with a resume that includes wins over GT, ND, WF, Nebraska, UMASS, BGSU, it is tough to give them the deserved respect they should get. No one knows exactly how good this BC team is but we will find out in the coming weeks. BC is far and away better at QB, they are better at RB, better at WR, and I would venture to say they are better on the OL making them better in all phases of the offensive game. The thing with a vetern QB and a coach who comes from the pro ranks is that I don't think VT will be able to confuse them on defense. I think the loss of Vince Hall will be felt in this game because of the balance BC has on offense. BC has a superior run defense to VT and the one weakness BC has on defense, Glennon will not take care of. If Ore is stopped in his tracks, the VT offense will have problems operating all night because Tribbler can shut down half a field himself. The only concern I have about backing BC is their kicking game, I can't have the team I bet missing XP'S and field goals. I think if BC can keep VT from pulling off some special teams scores there is a very good chance they win this game rather convincingly on the road.

I'm actually going to the game, can't wait. VT fans are gonna be even more nuts than normal because the BC coach said this: "On 10/22/2007, while making an appearance on the Mike Tirico Show on ESPN Radio, Boston College head coach Jeff Jagodzinski remarked that "The fans will not be a factor" in reference to the Virginia Tech Hokie fans filling Lane Stadium when Virginia Tech takes on BC this Thursday. Jagodzinski added "We just came from Notre Dame, the crowd will not effect us."

If that guy thinks the ND crowd (I was there also) will be anything like this, he's insane. ND fans are completely out of it. That stadium was not loud at all. VT is going to be a mad house. If you bet BC, I'm pretty sure you will regret during the VT entrance.

I know the crowd will be a huge factor however if Glennon takes them out of the game, the crowd will go with it. I just can't lay points vs. a quality opponent with Sean Glennon. NOPE

I like BC because there no 1 against the rush an thats what VT does best. If VT has to beat them passing it will be a long day. If VT makes some plays on ST or BC kicker fukks up then VT can win

I like BC because there no 1 against the rush an thats what VT does best. If VT has to beat them passing it will be a long day. If VT makes some plays on ST or BC kicker fukks up then VT can win

If that's what VT does best, then they're in a world of hurt this Saturday. They're averaging under 120 yards/game on the ground, against mostly 'inferior' opponents. Tough to see them gashing BC on the ground.

I also agree ETG, that's why I said it was why you shouldn't bet on BC; rather than why you should bet on VT. I hesitate to lay more than a FG, but I think BC is really overrated, and if there coach really isn't worried about the crowd, his players are in for a surprise, if they thought ND was bad.

I am on BC, have watched the play quite a bit, they avergae only 120 on the ground imo is they throw first and run second, they have an offensive line that is solid for both run and pass but they have have good personel at wr, te and rb and of course QB. they taken advantage of these weapons, probably see a lot of long passes early to try and stretch the def, then some screen passes to move the ball. BC was at 4 and i bought it to 7, (this is my own reasoning, will discuss if anyone is interested)

BC is a very good football team on all sides of the ball (minus a kick here and there) I think they will win the game, their defense may not be as good as VT but they are good and there offense has many weapons.
GL to whichever side you choose.

ok time o chime in with some information tht i think you should take into consideration not only in betting the game but in considering the crowd. It is going to be raining hard during that game. not softly folks ... it is going to be coming down hard. this will not be a pleasant game for the fans in the stands or the players on the field. if you like the under of this game , i highly suggest gettting your bet down as quickly as possible because when the world sees the weather conditions for this puppy that line is rocketing downward. i am unable to determine who the weather benefits more , though i would think virginia tech since it will hurt the passing game of ryan and company. but it should also make each point in the game worth that much more, making the plus 3.5 look nice as well. just thought you should all take this into consideration as it is forecast to be the worst rain of the college season so far. gl with whatever you decide... for me it was easy .... under .

from weather.com<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT: #863637 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #863637 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #863637 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #863637 1px solid" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=blkVerdanaText12 align=middle bgColor=#fffae2>Boston College (Schedule)
@ Virginia Tech (Schedule)
blank.gif

Thursday, October 25, 2007

blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><COLGROUP><COL><COL></COLGROUP><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#863637 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=inDentA style="COLOR: #ffffff" align=left bgColor=#863637 colSpan=2>
blank.gif

Event Day Forecast for Oct. 25
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#863637 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=inDentA align=middle bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2>
blank.gif

Heavy Rain
Daytime High:68°F
Overnight Low:48°F
Probability of Precipitation: 90%
Wind: From the South Southeast at 7 mph
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#fffae2 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataText align=middle width="60%" bgColor=#fffae2>Spectator Index</TD><TD class=dataText align=middle width="40%" bgColor=#fffae2>UV Index</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#fffae2 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataText align=middle width="60%" bgColor=#ffffff>1</TD><TD class=dataText align=middle width="40%" bgColor=#ffffff>Moderate</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2>
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#fffae2 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataText align=middle width="50%" bgColor=#fffae2>Sunrise</TD><TD class=dataText align=middle width="50%" bgColor=#fffae2>Sunset</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#fffae2 colSpan=2>
blank.gif
blank.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=dataText align=middle width="50%" bgColor=#ffffff>7:39 AM</TD><TD class=dataText align=middle width="50%" bgColor=#ffffff>6:32 PM</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2>
blank.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

In case you guys have forgotten...

These are college kids you are talking about. COLLEGE KIDS!!!
Thursday night homegame against the #2 team. Those kids are gonna be stoked! BC may be the "right" side but there is no way I can fathom taking BC in Blacksburg for a NIGHT game.
Parity has ruled the NCAA's this season, ride the wave...
This is a great spot for VT. Throw all the stats out the window, some crazy shit will go down in this game.

Thursday Night home games. Weekend starts one day early in Blacksburg.

All this worry (above) about the kicking game for BC and all you need is +FG, personally I would want 6 or more if I was to take BC.

vkyle, weather reports that early can be misleading, remember the stadium is only a little speck of earth, that system could easily miss it or be weaker than expected.

atlhawks, true for sure. but it is far more likely than not in this particular case. i have stated before ... weather is not a sure bet. i made the total a 45 ... so if the weather is good ... then i am taking slightly the worst of it .... but if the more likely event occurs ....i am taking much the best of it.

for betting purposes , the fact remains if you like the under you should bet it now.... if you like the over you may want to wait and see what mother nature is bringing to the table. Also, i think it is more likely than not that it rains ahrd there on thursday ... so you have to atleast factor that possibility in before you bet the game. just my opinion , but weather is important in sports betting.

i just wish this storm had hit in california to help out with the fires out there.

i just wish this storm had hit in california to help out with the fires out there.

Well put...
saw some coverage of that situation tonight. Very, very sad. Thoughts and prayers go out to all people affected.
:prayer<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

well, keeping with the weather updates ... there is a greater chance that the heavy rain has cleared at just about kickoff. it will be raining all afternoon and night and morning in blacksburg virginia so if it does manage to stop for a majority of the game it will be interesting to see the field conditions. i will be updating this periodically as i have a bet on the under based mostly on weather and i dont want to have a valueless bet. atleast the total is moving downward from the 44 that i bet ... so who knows maybe i can get a middle opportunity if it continues to go down and the weather miraculously clears for the 3 hours of the game.

---i obviously disagree with this but always good to read the other side----------

Doug Bowman
HokieHaven.com Staff Writer
<SCRIPT language=javascript> if ((bIEWindowBrowser) && (navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE 6.") != -1)) document.write("<div id=outercontainer style='height:220px;'>"); else document.write("<div id=outercontainer>"); document.write("<div id=contentcontainer style='font-size: " + currentsize + "pt;'>");</SCRIPT>Talk about it in The Gobbler

What makes for an ideal atmosphere at Lane Stadium? ACC game? Check. Nationally ranked team? Check. Night game? Check. Day of the week is Thursday? Check. ESPN? Check. Coming off a whipping of Duke last Saturday; the Hokies will play host to Boston College, in an atmosphere that is sure to be crazy. The Eagles enter the contest undefeated and have a potential Heisman trophy candidate leading them in quarterback Matt Ryan. With the injury bug hitting the Hokies at just the wrong time, will the Hokies be able to defeat BC? Let's take a look at the position by position analysis to figure it out.

Quarterback

<!--Start Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('/IMAGES/Player/video/0916-BCMATTRYAN_405.JPG', '', 0, 225, 405, 1, 'Ryan is the key to the Eagle offense.', '', 1192856656000, '', 1014, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=413 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=407>
0916-BCMATTRYAN_405.JPG
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Ryan is the key to the Eagle offense.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Image-->Virginia Tech: No it wasn't Tyrod Taylor who threw for over 200-yards last week. It was Sean Glennon. Benched earlier in the year, Glennon came in after Taylor went down with an ankle injury and showed a few traits that made him the four-star prospect he was coming out of high school. Glennon had an increased zip on the ball since the last time we saw him and threw every ball right on the money. Along with that, it appeared like Glennon had moxy in the pocket Hokie fans have never seen. He played with confidence and had confidence in every throw he made. Taylor is still recovering from the high ankle sprain and it will be a close call as to whether or not he can play. With the performance Glennon put up last week, and the general timetable for a return from that type of injury, this writer puts his vote in for Glennon to make the start, even I am in the minority.

Boston College: The Eagles bring perhaps the top quarterback in the nation to Lane Stadium in Ryan. It seems Ryan has been starting since the end of the Flutie days as he has gobs of experience. The new coaching staff gave Ryan more freedom and he has responded with his best season yet. He has the arm strength, accuracy, smarts, and guts needed to pick a defense apart. He has thrown for over 2,100 yards, 17 touchdowns, and six interceptions. The Hokies will need to play their best game yet in order to shut down Ryan.

Recap: The questions once again abound for the Hokies and a controversy could be brewing. There is no controversy for the Eagles. Ryan is the man. Advantage Eagles.

<!--Start Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('/IMAGES/Player/video/ANDRECALLENDAR250.JPG', '', 1, 300, 250, 1, 'Tech will need to monitor Callender.', '', 1192856762000, '', 1014, 'Align=Right'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=258 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD><TD width=252>
ANDRECALLENDAR250.JPG
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Associated Press</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Tech will need to monitor Callender.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Image-->Running Back

Virginia Tech: Last week, the rushing game continued to be mediocre. Branden Ore once again didn't show his 2006 burst and "led" the team with 37-yards on 17 carries. His backup, Kenny Lewis had 13-yards but carried one into the end zone for a touchdown. Without Taylor, the Hokies would lose a considerable portion of their running game. Look for the week and a half to allow Ore to rid himself of the nicks and bruises and maybe show a sign of life.

Boston College: The Eagles have two running backs that aren't flashy, but get the job done. Andre Callendar has carried most of the load, running for 627-yards and eight touchdowns. The other back is L.V. Whitworth, who is a bruiser of a runner, and has rushed for 282-yards and three touchdowns. These guys need to get this rushing game going or else the Hokie defense will smell blood, and go in for the kill.

Recap: The Hokies running game is suspect to say the least. Advantage Eagles.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends

Virginia Tech: For weeks I have been saying that this could be one of the best receiving corps in the nation. Last week, they came alive in a big way. Sam Wheeler had four catches for 94-yards, Eddie Royal had six catches for 90-yards and a touchdown, Josh Morgan had four catches for 68-yards and two touchdowns, Justin Harper had five catches for 62-yards, and Josh Hyman had a 20-yard reception. More importantly, when Glennon came in, the receivers got the ball and made the play. They didn't let Glennon make the play for them. With the kind of talent these guys have, Glennon should just be the guy that gets them the ball. Let them be the playmakers.

Boston College: A rather unheralded group gets overlooked because their quarterback makes it look very, very easy. The leading receiver is Brandon Robinson who has 402-yards on 30 receptions. Rich Gunnell has the same amount of receptions and 333-yards. Ryan's favorite and most dependable wide out will continue to be Kevin Challenger who has 313-yards. These three have caught a total of 10 touchdowns and form a very respectable group that the Hokie secondary has to take seriously.

Recap: Tech's unit has the ability to be great, while Ryan will make the unheralded Eagle unit play well. Advantage neither.

<!--Start Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('/IMAGES/Player/photo/CHERILUSGOSDER150.JPG', '', 0, 220, 150, 1, 'Cherilus is a major reason for the success of the Eagle line.', '', 1192856948000, '', 1014, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=158 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=152>
CHERILUSGOSDER150.JPG
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Cherilus is a major reason for the success of the Eagle line.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Image-->Offensive Line

Virginia Tech: There is no doubt that the return of Ed Wang strengthened the offensive line in all areas. Wang played extremely well for a man coming off a broken ankle in his first game ever at right tackle. Nick Marshman moved back to his best position of guard and played his best game yet too. Sergio Render, a supposed strength to the line, has proved to be a major question mark the last couple weeks. He will need to play with passion to regain his spot on the offensive line.

Boston College: The offensive line is a major reason Matt Ryan gets to do the things he does. They are second in the conference in sacks allowed and eighth in the nation. They open up the holes in the running game and give Ryan the time to let him make the throws. This group is led by a couple experienced plays who guide a few youngsters to make things work cohesively.

Recap: Boston College's group is solid; Virginia Tech's is still improving. Advantages Eagles.

Defensive Line

<!--Start Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('/IMAGES/Player/photo/ELLISCHRIS49150.JPG', '', 0, 220, 150, 1, 'Ellis will need to have a big game to disrupt the BC offense.', 'Va. Tech photo', 1192857039000, '', 1014, 'Align=Right'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=158 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD><TD width=152>
ELLISCHRIS49150.JPG
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>Va. Tech photo</TD></TR><TR><TD height=3>
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Ellis will need to have a big game to disrupt the BC offense.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Image-->Virginia Tech: This part of the line has had a major role in the improved play as late and needs to continue to play well. Chris Ellis has improved his consistency, Barry Booker has been solid, and Carlton Powell has returned to form after an earlier bencher. This line has a chance to make a big impact if they can get consistent pressure on Ryan and force him into settling for small chunks and not the home run.

Boston College: The defensive line is one of the key components that has the defensive unit ranked 33rd in the country in sacks. Leading the way are Ron Brace and Nick Larkin who each have two sacks respectively. This group puts the pressure on the quarterback and holds up blockers, allowing the linebackers to roam free. They once again aren't flashy, but get the job done.

Recap: The Eagles are respectable, the Hokies are scary. Advantage Hokies.

Linebackers

Virginia Tech: Some say the quadriceps is the strongest muscles in your body. If that is the case, the Virginia Tech linebackers were the quadriceps of the team. With the loss of Vince Hall and possible loss of Cam Martin, this group has turned into more of the triceps of the team. Xavier Adibi still makes this group good, but Brett Warren will be making his second career start and if Martin cannot go, then it will be Cody Grimm's first career start. Adibi will have to step up and become the vocal leader that Hall was and lead this group throughout the game.

<!--Start Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('/IMAGES/Player/photo/BC-JOLONNDUNBAR_200.JPG', '', 1, 267, 200, 1, 'Dunbar is a playmaker on the Eagle defense.', '', 1192857105000, '', 1014, 'Align=Left'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=202>
BC-JOLONNDUNBAR_200.JPG
</TD><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Dunbar is a playmaker on the Eagle defense.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End Image-->Boston College: This group is led by Alex Albright, who has a stunning six sacks so far on the season, 21st in the nation. JoLonn Dunbar is also a key member as he is second on the team in tackles with 53. Mark Herzlich is the third ranked tackler on the team with 43 total tackles. They run around and wrap up well but just like most of the rest of the Eagles, they aren't flashy.

Recap: The Hokies have a couple key losses but still have talent. The Eagles have players who do what they do very well. Advantage neither.

Secondary

Virginia Tech: When you think of a group that has made an impact the last few weeks, you think the defensive secondary. Macho Harris has become a shutdown corner to shut down one half of the field. The problem for the opposing teams is the other corner, Brandon Flowers, who is just as much of a shutdown corner as Macho. With two halves shut down, where do you throw? You must throw underneath or down the middle and that will force the safeties to step up. D.J. Parker has stepped into a leadership role this season and has even more with the loss of Hall. He must be the center fielder and prevent the home runs that Ryan will try to hit. Rover Kam Chancellor must be the enforcer on the other part of the field that forces receivers to whimper going across the middle. Look for this group to make to a humongous impact on this game.

Boston College: This group has a pair of nasty corners in Jaime Silva and DeJuan Tribble. Silva is third in the country with five interceptions and Tribble is 15th in the nation with four. They form a dynamic duo that matches up well with Harris and Flowers. They should cause trouble for the Hokie receivers and make them really show their talents.

Recap: The Hokies secondary is playing the best football of their collective lives. The Eagles secondary is playing the best football of their collective lives. Advantage Hokies.

Special Teams

<!--Start SpTeams celebrate 405 Image--><SCRIPT language=Javascript>document.write(insertImage('http://vmedia.rivals.com/uploads/1020/550198.jpg', '550198.jpg', 1, 220, 405, 1, 'Beamerball will need to step up again on Thursday.', '', 1192857172000, 'SpTeams celebrate 405', 1020, 'Align=Right'));</SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=413 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=6 rowSpan=4>
spacer1.gif
</TD><TD width=407>
550198.jpg
spacer1.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Beamerball will need to step up again on Thursday.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- End SpTeams celebrate 405 Image-->Virginia Tech: The special teams have returned to form the last two weeks. Starting at Clemson with the multiple returns and continuing last week with the blocked punt. Beamerball is back with a vengeance. The specialists have been good with punter Brent Bowden having an outstanding season and kicker Jud Dunlevy being just as good, although he missed his first field goal last week.

Boston College: Punter Johnny Ayers is 62nd in the nation in punting and kicker Steve Aponvicious, the kicker who inspired the Eagles to a 22-3 win against the Hokies last year has been very solid. The return teams haven't been explosive, as evidence by their lack of a touchdown return this year but they don't make mistakes.

Recap: Beamerball is becoming as nasty as ever. Advantage Hokies.

After reviewing the positions, it's apparent to me that this game will be a great one. Expect it to go down to the wire with whoever makes the least mistakes coming out on top. The atmosphere will be nuts and when Enter Sandman begins; don't be surprised if people in quiet Charlottesville hear it rocking.

Virginia Tech game changer: Brett Warren. Warren will have a big responsibility getting everyone in position and playing good solid run and pass defense.

Boston College game changer: Andre Callender. The running back needs to establish the rushing game because when a team doesn't have the rushing game going, they generally get whacked by the Hokies. Case in point, Clemson the last two years. Also watch out for Billy Flutie maybe coming in for a hail mary.

Prediction: Make it two Thursday's in a row with the same upset score.

Virginia Tech 30 Boston College 27.

<!-- no ad here-->

And just 1 more thing.

I have BC+3 but I actually want Taylor to play.. Taylor has many factors working against him in this game.

"Taylor is still recovering from the high ankle sprain and it will be a close call as to whether or not he can play."

1) He has a less than 100% ankle
2) Completes 52%
3) True Frosh

Alright now seeing all of that.. He is a worse passer than Glennon and he is limited with his mobility. He is a true frosh on a big stage and he is bound to make some mistake due to inexperience. If I was backing the Hokies, I would want Glennon as my starting QB and that don't say much to me since I wouldn't lay points with Glennon in this situation.

i backed glennon against georgia last year in the bowl game.... 21-3 halftime lead and glennon still managed to turn it over almost every drive in the second half.

I think BC is the better football team.

I thought South Florida was better than Rutgers going into last week.

I think in both instances the difference between two teams are minuit. Home field and more hunger gave the edge to Rutgers.

QB situation for VT though is a major concern and BC is just so solid. Just good at every position, don't make penalties, and except for Ryan don't turn it over. This year they retain their solidness they have had in the past but are more explosive with this new offense.

BC is tough to bet against, but if they are not going to go undefeated and play in the BCS title game VT might have the best shot of knocking them off.

BC is solid, and remember that Glennon had problems last year against basically the same D and VT is not a great 6-1. They beat a crazy Clemson squad and if you think they are the eight best team in the country, you are crazy. And important fact people do not realize is that VT does not score against good teams. Clemson they only had 219yds, and Taylor dominated that game. VT relies on special teams and BC has won in hostile environments this year with a win @ GT.

For me, what it boils down to is, the last 4 weeks, the Number 2 team in the country has lost. I'm not much of a streak guy, but number 2 this year is going to be moving in and out all the time. Really not a big fan of glennon, but I do think BC is a big time fraud, considering they weren't able to cover against Army or ND this year. I am expecting it to be very close, but I think VT will be th better team at forcing the turnovers in this one. And I also like to think that explosive plays favor VT, and can't really see BC having much of an explosive offense, but rather get 5 here and there, so if they get down by 14, I think Ryan will start pressing. Also, I'm not really sold on BC's run game and VT is traditionally very strong at stopping the run.

a problem for BC might be that its been nearly 6 weeks since BC has faced a legit opponent....September 15 @ Gtech followed by a bye, army, umass, bowling green, @ND.

BC has the HUGE edge at QB which is a big deal to me, but I think VTech dominates both sides of the L.O.S. and takes it.... somethin like 23-13. I just can't go against Vtech at home on thursday night.

Considering how the season has gone its not as tho im going out on a limb or anything, but i fully expect #1, #2 and #4 to lose this week.

Just because BC did not cover does not mean that they are not as good as you think. ND played a good game and remember spreads are not indicators of how good teams are compared to the other. VT goes down because in the all important QB matchup, Ryan is way better than Glennon.

Just because BC did not cover does not mean that they are not as good as you think. ND played a good game and remember spreads are not indicators of how good teams are compared to the other. VT goes down because in the all important QB matchup, Ryan is way better than Glennon.

Have to agree here. Why the hell is everyone surprised that BC didn't cover on the road as DD faves? This team has a glaring history of not covering large point spreads. Just because BC beat ND by 13 instead of 14, doesn't mean they won't put up some good points on VT.

If I recall correctly, UCLA was fucking HAMMERED by ND, and yet they bounced back and beat a much better team the following week.

If only capping were as easy as...

TEAM 1 defeated TEAM 2

TEAM 2 defeated TEAM 3

therefore

TEAM 1 will most certainly defeat TEAM 3

:36_11_6:

I am still paying for that game.

If you want to talk unimpressive wins make sure you include VaTech.

17-7 at home over ECU (278total yds)...... -27.5 spread
7-7 at half at home vs. Ohio........-22.5 spread
17-10 at home over UNC (241total yds, VT passed for 80yds)......-18.5 spread

Back