Thursday what pitcher gets injured today MLB Discussion

Sherwood:

The Rockies opened as a -156 favorite here. That looks like a clear enticement into trying to get bettors into taking the bait on the Padres. After all, San Diego just beat Clayton Kershaw last night in L.A. and Andrew Cashner has put up better numbers than Jhoulys Chacin. The Rockies are better at home and deserve to be favored, but by this much? The Padres have won four of Cashner's last five starts and over that stretch, covering 33 innings, Cashner has walked just five batters and he has not issued a single walk in his last two starts, However, Cashner has pitched more innings this season (57) than any time before at this level. Over the past three years, Cashner has spent 209 days on the DL while never throwing more than 54 innings in a season. He's been switched from starter to reliever to starter and he now enters unchartered territory in terms of innings worked at this level with some serious warning signs. Cashner has surrendered six bombs over his last four starts and that includes three in Seattle in his last start. He's also striking out less batters. Taking on the Rockies at Coors Field is the worst matchup in baseball for opposing pitchers, where they must face a potent offense in an extremely hitting friendly environment (+43% runs scored). Granted, it is a very small sample size, but the Rockies have knocked Cashner around in 8.2 career innings, where he has given up 20 hits, 5 BB, and 14 ER. Based on this high line, oddsmakers are calling for Cashner to be roughed up again and based on his pedigree, current form and past history here, we couldn't agree more. With a 3-3 record in 10 starts, a 4.26 ERA and 1.27 WHIP, Jhouly's Chacin is not going to garner much attention here but this is a pitcher that should be on your radar because he's coming on big time. The surface stats don't say so but under the hood, Chacin has an elite 58% groundball rate over his last four starts. His ERA over that span is an unappealing 6.07 but it's all because of a very unfortunate 57% strand rate. When that normailizes, his ERA will drop significantly. Chacin's xERA over his last four starts is 3.85 and that's actually very impressive when you consider that three of those four starts were at Coors Field. Chacin has dominated in the past, especially against righties and at the young age of 25 and appearing to be fully recovered from some health issues over the past couple of years, Chacin is a prime breakout candidate. The surface stats on both these pitchers are misleading, with Chacin being much better than the stats suggest and Cashner being much worse. That sets this one up very nicely for the Rockies to tee off and we're on it.

2 units on Rockies RL

I don't think the line is enticement though

Rockies 32-28 w 18-12 at home
Sd 27-32 w 11-18 away

Game should be around -150 just based on that

I think Rocks are the obvious play. Sd did beat a struggling kershaw but rocks hit a bunch of bombs at cincu too. And there is nothing wrong w the obvious play, just mean I don't see anything odd about the line or odd about backing Colorado here

Cashner is a big dude too...the whole unchartered territory is valid but for a power arm not an issue imo...definitely injury prone though...to often the roto geeks just repeat the same things because it was valid at one time for one pitcher...Cashner may never stay healthy but I don't think its a breaking down type reason....just my take...Cash defi itely got some nice run support at times and I faded him last start ....Good Luck

I think it's a spot where the Rockies could be very flat coming off a great road series and completely owning the Pads at Coors earlier in the year. Pads can put up runs if you put them in an offensive park and Chacin has worse numbers at home.

Cloyd v Peralta is a rematch ..hate that Peralta won in philly as I would definitely ride him here...price moved up to much assuming partly due to brewers playing all their starters but didn't check that yet...

Personally I don't thinl oak played all that well lately and don't think milw played all that poorly last series. Estrada was hurt...Lohse hung tough and miracle comeback and Gallardo had a 1-1 game to start the 7th w his 2 best hitters resting

Philly swept Miami ....big deal ...worse a pri.e letdown series after sweeping Mets...

MCG -- I agree from the perception standpoint w you that winning 2 of 3 away vs a 36-24 team in first places and how they won yesteeday w CarGo and ..Tulo going bonkers is more impressive then beating a dodger team that is like 25-33...even though Kershaw started

agree nut, I cap Milwaukee as probably winning. just can't pull the trigger on Peralta. also agree on the Oakland assessment.

Betting on the Brewers these days is like going outside and lighting money on fire, especially at -140. Though the line movement would seem to indicate it's Milwaukee tonight.From a gambling pov I think you are better off waiting, hoping Milwaukee wins today and load up on the Phillies for game 2 than speculating on a Milwaukee win tonight.

The over is enticing. Two mediocre pitchers and it'll be consecutive starts against the same team.

This is a pretty tough card HG . I can't knock Oak for winning but their playing all ice cold offenses and basically winning close games. Guess Mets could have value but they generally can't break 3 runs vs a LH and like you said Nats haven't scored more then 3 w/o Harper...which is also minus 3 other starters ..

Texas and boston is tough. The line looks high but its basically been set the same way every game...
.dempster vs grimm was -140, yesterday was -130 ...Holland vs Lester basically a washwhen you take into account performance vs opponent...

Dbacks look interesting and Miller doesn't get run support so maybe under

Its hard to judge the cws game because of course they play Oakland a team who I don't think is playing as well as it appears..and I know I hit tgat jackpot cashing cws, over and all the plays associated w it yesterday...

From a standpoint of dodgers being like -230 yesterday amd now -110 w a similar capability SP albeit much tougher opponent but just a PK interests me...and granted Grienke being compared to Kershaw at the moment is laughable but Hudson has had road woes..

My guess the line movement @ mikw is based on braun returning to the lineup. I could be wrong but I thought about -130 was fair for this game..brewers ate like 8-25 and Philadelphia w 4 straight, so not surprising people are backing philly imo

Dothink the over is interesting, which is why I brought up the SP rematch

It's does only get worse for Milw w Lee v Figaro tmrw and Kendrick vs undecided for Estrada's spot.Not like Brewers hve SP options..

I'll be back have some stuff to do ...as of now no new plays

Annoying but Rockies or nothing. Padres are now 2-8 away in first game of series.

Dodgers and Arizona are both of interest. why? Ian is on 4 days rest. Team is 3-1 on Thursday
[TABLE="class: sortable stats_table"]
<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>[TR]
[TH="class: tooltip sort_default_asc, align: center"]I[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip sort_default_asc, align: left"]Split[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]W[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]L[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip hide_non_quals, align: center"]<nobr>W-L%</nobr>[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip sort_default_asc hide_non_quals, align: center"]ERA[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]G[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]GS[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]GF[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]CG[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]SHO[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]SV[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]IP[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]H[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]R[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]ER[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]HR[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]BB[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]IBB[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]SO[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]HBP[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]BK[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]WP[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip, align: center"]BF[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip sort_default_asc hide_non_quals, align: center"]WHIP[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip hide_non_quals, align: center"]SO/9[/TH]
[TH="class: tooltip hide_non_quals, align: center"]SO/BB[/TH]
[/TR]
</thead><tbody>[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]4 Days,GS[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1.000[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.24[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]25.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]21[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]10[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]9[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]11[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]17[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]106[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1.280[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]6.1[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1.55[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]5 Days,GS[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3[/TD]
[TD="align: right"].000[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]6.44[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]5[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]5[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]29.1[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]32[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]22[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]21[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]6[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]25[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]132[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1.466[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]7.7[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2.27[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]6+ Days,GS[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1.000[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.86[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]14.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]8[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]15[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]51[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]0.714[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]9
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

One side of me says A's are a hot, scrappy team that wins close ones and crush LHP. Other side of me says 9 of those wins are vs Hou (before they started playing as well as they have lately). Other teams A's have beaten during current streak are Kc, Cws, Mil and Sea. All the good teams they've played AL East teams and Tex they have struggled.

Can harang shut the yanks down? The yanks have never faced him before....

phil hughes should be able to pitch a solid game

What I'm saying is yes they are playing well but not imo winning 16 of 19 well. I like the team they have. They are just getting soft opponents. Winning and beating teams just to me are entirely different animals. People can't say the white sox stink or milw stinks and then give oaklnd a standing ovation from edging them or pulling away late. They were 4-10 in the 1st h of may. They beat a slumping kc 3x by 1 run, took 2 of 3 @ texas but beat darvish 1-0, swept @ houston, took 3 of 4 vs a struggling sf lineup before the last 6 days. By no means is it poor baseball teams playing bad just find ways to lose imo. They also faced bedard, kickham, wolf, lindblom and keuchel during this run. Darvish, baumgarner, sale and probably the best after that was axelrod..they allowed 1 run in those 4 and scored 10...I thinl a step up in talent will end this stretch ..

Not that @ cws immediately provides it...lol...just that take Oakland recent run w a grain of salt

Actually look at houston vs the angels and houston vs oaklnd and how much of a difference it makes in their overall records

I would lean under @ seattle but any relief work for seattle can be scary...Harang has to be good for it to work

I'll throw my thoughts in here. Been short on time over the last month....

I see a lot of people jocking the A's. If you like them, I'd wait for a lineup. Moss, Jaso, and Sogard likely to be given the night off...

Line on NYY looks too good to be true, especially after Seattle's day yesterday.

No Fowler or Helton for Col.... pass

Lean under in Boston with these two pitchers, but West behind the plate and wind to left with two lefties.... blehh....pass

Talk me out of the first five over in KC with this two shitbirds on the hill....

Dark skies west of DC means rain on and off tonight..... Looks awfully dark so I'll be surprised if this gets finished...

Dark skies here too
..not that it matters

Kinda makes mets intriguing w crap weather

Total set to high@ fenway imo...its the 16yr old you know you should walk away from but looks to good to

Yeah that over @ kc is her 17yr old friend..
2guys w 8+ ERAs at night but kc no offense layely and pelfrey on extra rest may deliver a decent outing

Agree value is on the Mets if anything tonight in DC - game is being delayed....

Agree the over in KC is probably too good to be true. Plus both pens are respectable. First five over 5 is the only way I'd play it but pass.
Under in Chicago gets my money.
GL tonight Nut

Total set to high@ fenway imo...its the 16yr old you know you should walk away from but looks to good to

Majority on the under fwiw

I couldn't lay off the over in Boston. Just hit it for 1.5.....

Agree on Sea game. line begs for Yanks $$

Yeah its a tough one to make an arguement for ...lester has allowed 4 or more last 3 starts and holland has the nice track record vs boston but also like how boston is swinging..

I would lke to take yanks w hughes loing 4 straight starts but again mari ers -175 yesterday and now a home pup...to drastic of a move w them and LAD

I suck on yankees game this yr so me wanting to play them is probably assume for seattle

GL

Hughes is going to greatly benefit playing on the road in a pitcher friendly ball park. I don't know how harang is going to fair though.

I fucked up yesterday though. Playing Indians TT over was the best angle. I said CC had issues in day games which means he tends to allow a few runs more then normal and I had a low total...he pitched fairly well and still allowed 4 runs...

By the way, the complaint about Oakland was that they were beating mostly bad teams and they are playing WS----I must be missing something as I thought WS were a bad team with no pen.

Hanley is resting so line should drop a few cents...

Hughes is basically either bad or good. Not much in the middle..Harang has been solid in all but 1 of his last 5 and that was after injury...plus guess yanks never facing can't hurt but he's also been in the majors for 10yrs so not exactly unfamiliar

I agree Tuck. Just a general statement on oakland but think somewhere I did say not that cws is a step up in talent. Personally I think oak is to expensive, as its nearly the same price as it was in oak when thu won 4-3..over looks attractive but O'm resigned to stay away

Small bet on KC Wade on 5 days rest
[TABLE="class: sortable stats_table"]
<thead>[TR]
[TH="class: tooltip hide_non_quals, align: center"][/TH]
[/TR]
</thead><tbody>[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]4 Days,GS[/TD]
[TD="align: right"].333[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]8.04[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]31.1[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]48[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]28[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]13[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]149[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1.947[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]8.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2.15[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]5 Days,GS[/TD]
[TD="align: right"][/TD]
[TD="align: right"]3.27[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]11.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]13[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]7[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]51[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1.818[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]9.0[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1.57[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]6+ Days,GS[/TD]
[TD="align: right"].500[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]4.30[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]14.2[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]22[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]7[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]67[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]1.773[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]6.8[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]2.75[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
Best day of the week and 3-0 career record

One fascinating thing about the Dodger game is how much both starters improve in June.

Lean kc too but staying away bc pelfrey in same days of rest spot....

Going to play yanks ml 4u

Like the under in lad...not sure hudson career is going to follow the same path and greinke has nowhere but up to go

Thanks play and you as well....really light day for me..

Under @ coors 3u. Some missing bats, sd late burst went over in lad yesterday was fluky, 2 decent sp ....just a smll stab...

Done unless I add something to the under @seattle

Have hoops ...like heat in finals ...GL

Something to REMEMBER. Padres first road game of a series. 9-1 under team total

Back