Thursday, November 2nd NBA Plays and Analysis

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Well, certainly a fun night last night. Always feels good to hit the big plays you have planned on playing for awhile. The late Over on Lakers game was nice little icing to the cake and we now step into the Thursday TNT double-dip.

28-9-1 +18.18 units

Pretty solid start to the season. Couldn't ask for much more at this point. I think we all have learned a few things these first few nights that will help our capping as the season rolls along. First and foremost is the over reaction to Chicago's opening night win. Second, Dwight Howard is one of the 3 best young players in the league. Third, the akers are playing excellent ball. If Kobias can fit into that team and be like he was in playoffs at points this team could be a darkhorse. Bynum is the real deal. Lastly, the NY Knicks will take years off your life when you bet on them.

On to tonights games. Dallas and Denver finally open up their campaigns...

Dallas vs San Antonio

First of all, this line has made a huge move this morning. I think the biggest factor is Parkers availabilty. The other factor is how how this number opened. It was sure to generate some Spurs money. Here's how it moved this morning in a short span..

11/0211:32amDAL-182 SAS+172 DAL-4.5 -105 SAS+4.5 +105 183.5 +105 183.5 -115 DAL-2 SAS+2 11/0211:33amDAL-164 SAS+154 DAL-4 +116 SAS+4 +116 183 +105 183 -115 DAL-2 SAS+2 11/0211:37amDAL-149 SAS+139 DAL-3 +103 SAS+3 +103 182.5 -109 182.5 -101 DAL-1.5 SAS+1.5 11/0211:40amDAL-144 SAS+134 DAL-2.5 -108 SAS+2.5 +108 182.5 -109 182.5 -101 DAL-1.5 SAS+1.5

I was looking back at how teams that lost the finals started off each season. I used this decade as a sample. Not so much for this game, but to get a general idea. The heat showed championship hangover and I know that the runners-up have come out with vengence at times over the years. My study showed that in the first game of the season(home or away) that the prior years runner-ups were 3-3 SU/AST. I then decided to break it down into the first home game. Obviously, a team that was that close is going to have high expectations from the home towners and want to play at a high level in their own arena. The First home game for previous years runner up was 5-01 ats and 5-1 SU. The team that pushed and lost SU was Philadelphia in 2001. Correct me if I am wrong...but I believe they had some personel issues early that season. The gamelogs would indicate as much.

Alright, lets apply what we have learned to this Dallas-San Antonio matchup. The Dallas Mavericks had a championship in their hands till the 4th quarter of game 3 last year. They didn't have the killer instinct to win it alll and it was a shame because they were a helluva team last year. I see nothing different this season. They have the weopns back and a better bench. They know have learned what it takes to win. That is very key and they will have to show their will against many challengers this season. I don't see a letdown from this club. I only see a march to une again and most likely a different result.

I will admit that as of a few days ago I leaned San Antonio in this spot. I am a sucker for teams avenging playoff losses early in season. Its usually a good spot...but not always the right spot. There hasn't been much excitment coming out of Spurs camp. They are basically the same squad that seems pretty vanilla and goes about its business. Some of their players seem to think they need not step things up until the playoffs. That bit them in ass last year. The Mavericks were playing with confidence and momentum all season. Tony Parker looks like a go but I feel the injury will hinder him a bit. His game is speed and quickness. That will be lessoned somewhat IMO.

Really been working on this game gard this morning. I think the Mavs come out in a flurry and blitz the Spurs early. San Antonio will climb back in eventually before the Mavs go for the kill in the 4th quarter.

I appreciate the downward line move..;)

Dallas -3 +100(2 units)

Denver @ LA Clippers

Looks like D. Stern and his cronies had a good time putting the schedule togther this season. Lets revisit all the playoff matchups early in the season apparently. Tonight wil be games 6 and 7 that were playoff series last Spring revisited already.

This LAC-DEN series last season showed us a few things. Kenyon Martin is a boner and the Nuggets lack outside shooting. We also saw a Clippers team in a great groove.

Here's what I like about Denver this season:

-The big men are back. This is huge. In regular season tempos these guys can do a lot of damge defensively and getting out on the break. If Kmart is right, its a huge addition for Nuggets. Camby is a helluva player when his vagina doesn't hurt.

-The GM situation sucked last year. That along with the sending home of Kmart in playoffs were distarctions in my mind.

-Carmello Anthony. Have you guys seen the man yet? He looked great at the world championships and had a helluva pre-season. I think he is a man on a mission this year. We will see MVP type numbers from him. His game continues to improve. He has the competiton from that draft class who all had better postseasons than him last year.

Some thoughts on the Clippers:

-Livingston didn't look totally ready to me last night
-Sam looks old. He will take awhile to get 'into' the regular season
-EB is sick. That prolly explains his numbers being low last night. Hopefully its a 72 hour flu ;)
-Uh Oh Maggetio. Wonder if he suits up tonight?
-Overall, the Clippers didn't look like the 2005-2006 edition to me lst night. They were rested but a Suns team on a B2B looked more spy.

Tonight, I see a few things. One, Carmello will have a huge game. He will make Quentin Ross his bitch. I also see the Nuggets being able to get up-tempo more than last season playoffs. LAC expended energy out in PHX last night. The crowd will help them a bit but here's thinking this team isn't in sync right now. I'll take the revenge angle and roll with the Nugs..

Denver ML +146

Best of luck tonight. I do favor the Mavs play right now a little more. Therefore 2 units on that one.

As always, any questions, comments, good lucks or Fuck you's are welcomed.

renew orleans said:
GL. I hope the Mavs win by 4 because I have +5 Spurs

Sounds good. I would not have layed the 5 here. Would have ben a no play most likely.

With you on Denver tonight, also like the over in that game.

Stay hot BAR.

I saw last night that everyone was on Spurs and was ready to make a play on them...then I looked into it a little bit and was sold on taking the Mavs...now that I see you're on it, that thought is even more solidified. Good health to us tonight, probably my only play other then the WVU/Louisville game which I'm still deciding on...

NBA is already bein crazy. Golden ST losing at home to the fakers who didnt have their coach or the best player in the league. The Jailblazers winning against the sonics on the road? Minny winning... Oh damn the parity is starting to kick in

Hey BAR did you go to the Palace last nite. Man it was way too quiet!!
Thnx for your picks lately I am 6-0!!
Really like the site too!

sodapop said:
Hey BAR did you go to the Palace last nite. Man it was way too quiet!!
Thnx for your picks lately I am 6-0!!
Really like the site too!

No I didn't bro. I noticed the lack of energy from the fans. Tigers hangover still I think..lol.

Nice start!

abcs said:
NBA is already bein crazy. Golden ST losing at home to the fakers who didnt have their coach or the best player in the league. The Jailblazers winning against the sonics on the road? Minny winning... Oh damn the parity is starting to kick in

Parity has arrived. Esspecially in the East and middle of West. I think Dallas shows they are heads and shoulders above tonight

Captain Slap A Hoe said:
I saw last night that everyone was on Spurs and was ready to make a play on them...then I looked into it a little bit and was sold on taking the Mavs...now that I see you're on it, that thought is even more solidified. Good health to us tonight, probably my only play other then the WVU/Louisville game which I'm still deciding on...

Yeah, looking more at it solidified my posistion.

GL bro..Go Cards as well..huge 5 units play on them

Sitting in class right now so I don't feel like creating a major thread right now...

But DET/BOST. over under is out at 192.5...playing it for 6 units...I honestly feel like it should be 200 or higher...

That is indeed a very nice over... hopefully DET doesn't come out stressing defense before offense... b/c both looked shaky

i like the pistons -2 alot... i dont think boston has the size to take advantage of the new interior defense of stones... also i think chauncey is going to teach telfair a thing or two 2maro.... im also a piston fan so i could be biased

BossUp said:
i like the pistons -2 alot... i dont think boston has the size to take advantage of the new interior defense of stones... also i think chauncey is going to teach telfair a thing or two 2maro.... im also a piston fan so i could be biased

Good point about Big shot Boss up. That could well be true. Boston is scrappy. Thats what concerns me.

EB is sick. That prolly explains his numbers being low last night.

i thought he was the only one who looked ready to go last night, yeah he was a little sick but he still had 28 points & 13 rebounds, those look like pretty good #'s to me.

not saying it is a bad play but im sure dunleavy wont let the clips come out as flat tonight as they did yesterday, also the crowd should pick em up a little bit tonight. gl with your plays :shake:

Anyone like the under for the Clips game tonight, I know it opened at 200 and is now at 208, so conventional wisdom says take the over, but these teams have went under in 7 of their last 10 games against each other.

Bets4Bucks said:
EB is sick. That prolly explains his numbers being low last night.

i thought he was the only one who looked ready to go last night, yeah he was a little sick but he still had 28 points & 13 rebounds, those look like pretty good #'s to me.

not saying it is a bad play but im sure dunleavy wont let the clips come out as flat tonight as they did yesterday, also the crowd should pick em up a little bit tonight. gl with your plays :shake:

When I say that...I was expecting 40-20...lol...due to matchups and how good of a player Elton is. No disrespect at all to the man. He's an MVP candidtae for next few yearsno doubt.

SportsbettingJunkie said:
Anyone like the under for the Clips game tonight, I know it opened at 200 and is now at 208, so conventional wisdom says take the over, but these teams have went under in 7 of their last 10 games against each other.

I'd be inclined to agree, Junkie. But, as off-the-wall as this sounds, dont bet it if Dallas/Spurs goes under. If the early game goes Over, then I'd green light it (this recommendation is tied to a results streaks trend I will be posting (as a trend thread, have so for the past 2 years elsewhere) when a week or so of games are in the bank, but I can see from results already that an Under *will be called for* in the late game if the early one goes over).

Nice analysis on the Dallas game. I'm also with you taking Den on the ML. After last nights track meet with pheonix, I expect the clips to start off a little sluggish which is why I'm also taking Denver +2 in the first half. Anthony looked unstoppable in the championships and I'm betting he doesn't miss a beat.

DENVER ML (+145)
DENVER 1st Half +2

GL All

BetCrimes1984 said:
I'd be inclined to agree, Junkie. But, as off-the-wall as this sounds, dont bet it if Dallas/Spurs goes under. If the early game goes Over, then I'd green light it (this recommendation is tied to a results streaks trend I will be posting (as a trend thread, have so for the past 2 years elsewhere) when a week or so of games are in the bank, but I can see from results already that an Under *will be called for* in the late game if the early one goes over).

The first game went on too long for me to be able to bet the Under in the 2nd game (books closed it before the total result was confirmed).

Which is a bitch with 12 pts after 4 mins, still early thou. BOL to those on Under.

not sure what happened w/ the mavs, but hopefully we get this ml...regardless, i had the ville so i could care less!!! my the lord moses be w/ you!

I'll be on AIM soon Fondy...just finishing up a few things...right around halftime

Back