Thursday Discussion Thread

Tigs first five -.5 +115

Again like the Detroit starter much more than the Minny starter

i tried to do the ff under with the fg RL the other day and they wouldnt let me, figured as much or id been doing those more often than messing with full game unders which i never play anymore other then the +1.5/under parlays. my last 2 been burnt by the pens (
It's an odd season to this point with so many hitters struggling, might be a one off but pen numbers are much better than usual

It's an odd season to this point with so many hitters struggling, might be a one off but pen numbers are much better than usual

afraid the hitters struggling more trend than anomaly, i do think it will pick up some as we starting to get the warmer weather, or if ya buy into the conspiracies the balls will prob start coming more tightly wound! lol.. i still dont trust many pens, there several that i think gonna have regression coming, including the cardinals to a extent, not the top back end guys but we have some middle relief guys with era's that dont exactly match the stuff. pretty shocking tigers pen has such a good era.

afraid the hitters struggling more trend than anomaly, i do think it will pick up some as we starting to get the warmer weather, or if ya buy into the conspiracies the balls will prob start coming more tightly wound! lol.. i still dont trust many pens, there several that i think gonna have regression coming, including the cardinals to a extent, not the top back end guys but we have some middle relief guys with era's that dont exactly match the stuff. pretty shocking tigers pen has such a good era.
Could be. I also think this whole swinging for the fences shtick is allowing what used to be average pen arms look a helluva lot better. You've mentioned guys with only two pitches quite a bit, I'm beginning to think if a pitcher masters two pitches it might be all he needs against today's hitters.

Could be. I also think this whole swinging for the fences shtick is allowing what used to be average pen arms look a helluva lot better. You've mentioned guys with only two pitches quite a bit, I'm beginning to think if a pitcher masters two pitches it might be all he needs against today's hitters.

it def all they need to pitch out the pen, it crazy if starters can start getting away with it but seems some are. Cortes barely throws a 3rd and Ray has all but stopped throwing anything but fastball/slider so you could be right, that is sad.

jfc,, Ohtani gives up 2 and even worse no strike outs in 1st. how the fuck he gonna get to 7 like that?

it def all they need to pitch out the pen, it crazy if starters can start getting away with it but seems some are. Cortes barely throws a 3rd and Ray has all but stopped throwing anything but fastball/slider so you could be right, that is sad.
Very rare in recent history a starter can get away with it. Unit always comes to mind but his heat was incredible and his slider might be the best ever.

Very rare in recent history a starter can get away with it. Unit always comes to mind but his heat was incredible and his slider might be the best ever.

ray velo has come down at same time he stopped throwing a 3rd pitch, prob explains why he not as good.

Reactions: KJ
i thought Ohtani would want to shine in NY.. guess i shouldnt have ignored his other start here where he couldnt even make it out the 1st, now i want a rainout, lol.. i guess his k prop not totally dead. i remember Cobb starting bad last time then striking out 5 in a row little later..

ray velo has come down at same time he stopped throwing a 3rd pitch, prob explains why he not as good.
One of the best closers ever...Trevor. Fastball at 88 and change up that everyone knew was coming but couldn't touch it.

That was a brilliant pitcher with less than average stuff. Even sitting on the change up those guys couldn't do a damn thing about it.

Rivera obviously only needed one pitch

he was next mention, obviously his cutter was one the best weapons ever. out of pen that fine but im pretty sure he tried to start his career as a starter if im not mistaken? you gotta at least have the threat of a 3rd if you gonna get thru a lineup several times. i guess the fact some starters not even allowed to see guys a 3rd time these days changes things a bit.

he was next mention, obviously his cutter was one the best weapons ever. out of pen that fine but im pretty sure he tried to start his career as a starter if im not mistaken? you gotta at least have the threat of a 3rd if you gonna get thru a lineup several times. i guess the fact some starters not even allowed to see guys a 3rd time these days changes things a bit.
We could really get into how great Maddux and Glavine were considering their fastballs were most guys' changeups lol

We could really get into how great Maddux and Glavine were considering their fastballs were most guys' changeups lol

Anything be better than watching this jap pitch like shit. He just walked a automatic strikeout in Gallo.

Anything be better than watching this jap pitch like shit. He just walked a automatic strikeout in Gallo.
He doesn't get out of this the hook will be swift. Get out of it and he bats next inning can completely change the complexity of this game.

Rivera was a starter first….he didn’t have his cutter until he was moved to the bullpen…..he was playing toss in bullpen with bullpen catcher…….he was messing around and somehow found the cutter……he was John wettland’s setup man back in 96 when yanks won series…..yanks starters needed to go only 5-6 innings back then. Especially David Cone……after that, they got Ramiro Mendoza , Rivera and then wetland. …..after 96, he became the closer……

Probably a good candidate to play live Ks, probably

DK only has Cortes live numbers up

Doesn’t matter since he cashed easy but why did rays yank Kluber after 6 innings? He was only at 69 pitches!! Maybe that why his out total was so low? Rays w the quick hook!!

Doesn’t matter since he cashed easy but why did rays yank Kluber after 6 innings? He was only at 69 pitches!! Maybe that why his out total was so low? Rays w the quick hook!!
It's seriously something to keep in mind going forward and also something to think about when they make the playoffs. TB are incredibly efficient with their arms and I think that matters late in the year.

Marlins play the double header in Colorado yesterday (game 2 going 10 innings) and then fly home to face the Giants today....I'm thinking the fish come out a tad sluggish.
A big bomb banger on San Fran FF for me.
GL fellas.

Marlins play the double header in Colorado yesterday (game 2 going 10 innings) and then fly home to face the Giants today....I'm thinking the fish come out a tad sluggish.
A big bomb banger on San Fran FF for me.
GL fellas.

Apparently they didn’t get into Miami till 5 this morning. Should bode well for Wood k’s. Alcontera flew in before rest of team tho, giants still gonna struggle to score unless fish play crappy d behind him, alcontera turning into one the best pitchers in baseball imo.

It's seriously something to keep in mind going forward and also something to think about when they make the playoffs. TB are incredibly efficient with their arms and I think that matters late in the year.

I’m assuming they still woulda looked to get 6 innings out of him even if his pitch count was little higher, not a lot tho, I didn’t recall seeing any starts where he was sniffing 100 pitches. 90 was most I noticed and he routinely been taken out after 6 innings when he only at 60-70 pitches.

You would think they would like to get 6 innings out their starters whenever they capable like Kluber almost always is. Maybe it good for the starters to only be throwing 60-80 pitches a start but don’t ya have to worry bout their pen come end of year/playoffs? Nobody pen is worked as much as rays work theirs, already 231 innings thrown this year, of the other 8 teams that have at least 200 innings from the pen only 1 of them has a winning record.

Back