Thursday, August 31 Plays and Discussion Thread

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Well, we stand three weeks away from the first games right now as I type. I cannot wait. There are a few I am looking at for first night but do not want to go overboard. I have played 2 10 days ago and will quickly discuss the first one now.

Toledo @ Iowa State

First off, I feel quite lucky to have won my bowl game bet on the Frogs against ISU. It wasn't the correct side as the game played out but won anyway. Thats college foots I guess. I have looked at ISU more and more since that game leading up to this season. I have already played them in an Over to season total and feel they will be a suprise team this season.

Once again we have a damn good QB at home in front of what should be a nuts crowd facing a newcomer in his first game in a hostile enviroment. Is this all that should be looked at? Of course not. But I do believe it is a KEY factor in any situation like that across the country.

UT's defense is solid but not great by any means IMO. This ISU offense should go apeshit on the Rockets. I fully expect 30-40 points in this game. I do not think the Rockets with a new QB can keep up. Granted, Assmunch(the head coach) has done well in getting new QB's acclimted quickly. I just don't see that happening right away.

Looking at the Clones last season a few things stick out:

One, after starting 3-0 they had the heartbreaking loss at NU in double OT I believe. It was a game they shoulda won and I believe that carried over to the next week or two(coincidentally.lol..both losses). They then got on a tear before losing the finale and Bowl game. At home last year, except for the Baylor loss they won by double-digits each time.

Lets not forget this. Maybe the defense isn't the greatest, but they did have over a month of Bowl prep time to help the young guys improve. It was a New Years bowl game so that time is invaluable.

Ten starters back..a better offensive line an skill guys that many teams dream of make for what should be a potent offense. I think they just have too much for Toledo. Maybe if this game was at end of month I would lay off but for a home opener, no way. Toledo can lose OOC games and still win Mac and get Bowl. For ISU to meet their goals they need to make each game important with the tough schedule.

Howabout 41-24...Clones..

Iowa State -7 -112 One Unit

Running with you on this one...GL

Man I'm feeling so many favs 1st week... we'll have to see... but I really think 2/3 of the ones I'm playing will hit.

I've posted this once and I'll post it again -- you always have to be careful laying money on Iowa St. They are the "Jeckyl & Hyde" of college football. They SHOULD beat Toledo by 3 TDs, but if "Hyde" shows up, they may struggle to win SU.

This being said, I'll be laying some money on Iowa St. as well and hope for "Jeckyl" to show up.
smoke.gif

Fondybadger said:
I think this is a favorite play by many of us on the board...

I am all over this as well. I know it's scary to have the entire board on this game but we have seen that happen years past and the plays have come out winners. It's just a bunch of good cappers agreeing with each in my opinion.

Still only play set in for Thursday. Heres some random thoughts.

As far as the Northwestern and Miami(Oh) game goes it smells fishy to me. I like angles with emotion(NW) and Tyrell Sutton is great but a new QB on road laying points, I don't think so. There is a chance I play Miami-O ML by Thursday. We'll see.

Minny is usualy money the first few games of year OOC. No way now I would lay that with the RB troubles of Minny. Capito is most likely a bit more seasoned but thats a lot of points.

Temple-Buffalo, wouldn't be suprised if Temple shocks Big Buff. Not info reseacrh into that game to merit further discussion.

Cocks and Messy St is weird with the line movement. I don't think that Messy has enough offense but I can surely see this being a war maybe Cocks win late on. I know this is the minority opinion but you never know.

Back later this week with maybe another play. Still like ISU, even with the troubles.

Rexy and Bry..

Thanks fellas. Should be a good way to get the week started:smiley_acbe:

smh212 said:
I'm gonna play Miami-OH. Good luck BAR.

heh im hard leanin to miami OH right now also. nothin locked in yet but i got 2 plays on thursday, lookin at tha fades still

I had feeling you would be on the Miami of O smh. Not sure yet, I'll know Wednesday fellas. Lean more that way than Messy St if I had to pick of the two.

alright.

Heres a play that I put in weeks ago but never posted.

Eastern Michigan +4 +101 1 unit

I will most likely be adding to ISU play. Lookin over some numbers. Also, plays on Kent and Messy may be warranted. I'll prolly wait to see what a local has there as I can get some value back on the line. Its worth 110 to get another point as they shade favorites a lot. I will update those by 3:45 eastern tomorrow.

Best of luck to everyone.

ISU -8 -115 1 unit

thats the additon here.

I really believe this is a rather strong play. This, Pitt, Utah and Nebraska are all bigger plays for me this weekend and I expect them ALL to cash. It ain't cocky when they win :)

B.A.R. said:
Well, we stand three weeks away from the first games right now as I type. I cannot wait. There are a few I am looking at for first night but do not want to go overboard. I have played 2 10 days ago and will quickly discuss the first one now.

Toledo @ Iowa State

First off, I feel quite lucky to have won my bowl game bet on the Frogs against ISU. It wasn't the correct side as the game played out but won anyway. Thats college foots I guess. I have looked at ISU more and more since that game leading up to this season. I have already played them in an Over to season total and feel they will be a suprise team this season.

Once again we have a damn good QB at home in front of what should be a nuts crowd facing a newcomer in his first game in a hostile enviroment. Is this all that should be looked at? Of course not. But I do believe it is a KEY factor in any situation like that across the country.

UT's defense is solid but not great by any means IMO. This ISU offense should go apeshit on the Rockets. I fully expect 30-40 points in this game. I do not think the Rockets with a new QB can keep up. Granted, Assmunch(the head coach) has done well in getting new QB's acclimted quickly. I just don't see that happening right away.

Looking at the Clones last season a few things stick out:

One, after starting 3-0 they had the heartbreaking loss at NU in double OT I believe. It was a game they shoulda won and I believe that carried over to the next week or two(coincidentally.lol..both losses). They then got on a tear before losing the finale and Bowl game. At home last year, except for the Baylor loss they won by double-digits each time.

Lets not forget this. Maybe the defense isn't the greatest, but they did have over a month of Bowl prep time to help the young guys improve. It was a New Years bowl game so that time is invaluable.

Ten starters back..a better offensive line an skill guys that many teams dream of make for what should be a potent offense. I think they just have too much for Toledo. Maybe if this game was at end of month I would lay off but for a home opener, no way. Toledo can lose OOC games and still win Mac and get Bowl. For ISU to meet their goals they need to make each game important with the tough schedule.

Howabout 41-24...Clones..

Iowa State -7 -112 One Unit
nice writeup BAR, good luck:wacka wacka:

Thanks chalk.

MrFazekas ;), I actually was wearing the old DET lucky shirt last night after I got home. Maybe a good sign of things to come tonight.

Last posted plays for day(I could add something later but will not be present)

Florida International +8 +105 1 unit
Messy St +7 -105 1 unit
Kent St +14 -102 1 unit

:cheers:

FIU +9 +100 1 unit
FIU ML +310 .25 unit(risked)

Thats it...best of luck fellas..see ya all on the good side

Well, just so we can track the bets.

BC -11. See it is still falling, to 10.5 & could have bought the .5. Oh Well.
ISU -8.
N'Western -5.

Thought Ball St., but the weather scared me off a team I know not much about.

All reg. 1 unit bets, just to get the football rolling down the field.

An why do all the lines seem to be JUST over a prime number so early? We're seeing 8s, 11, 4.5s, and a coouple of 6s. Hmm. Chalk riders I guess.

Pretty horrific night overall. That happens though. Hopefully in a 23-23 games ISU can get push on intial play. Prolly not. ML came close buyt no cigar. I did hit Chips..but even that was lucky and don't feel like I deserved that..ah well. A nice humbling night to get things started.

Gonna assume ISU does not cover or push...

2-6 (-3.54 units)

Back