This Week's MACtion

s--k

Goodbye to Romance College Football
If anyone is still interested...after last week's happening!

Tuesday:

Ohio (20.5/56.5) at Bowling Green
Eastern Michigan at Northern Illinois (5/54)

Wednesday:

Toledo at Buffalo (8/54)
Akron at Miami (31/44)

EMich and NIU has a chance to a be a really good game. Each team blew out Akron (of course) and each team was blown out by Central Mich (interesting). Otherwise, EM has played in tight games vs everyone except Buffalo (bad loss for them). NIU has been in tight games vs everyone else in league. Neither as good as prior editions, pretty even with eachother.

I guess this is where Toledo football has fallen to. 8 pt road dog to a good, not great, fellow league school. I can't see where Toledo has ever been an 8 pt MAC dog in the last 5 years. Closest is the 2016 game vs Fleck's undefeated WM team (7.5).

I posted this in the ML dog thread:

I might be throwing my money away but there's no way that Akron ML +3359 doesn't have a small shot.

Miami Oh has clinched the MAC East and their offense isn't any good (#121 in total O). Cato can sling it for the Zips. The defense disparity is obviously huge Miami's way but Akron desperate for a win and Miami absolutely zero to play for.
Even though Akron is awful, the difference between teams in the MAC isn't that great. Worth a sprinkle, 10 wins you 335...if you can find it. Prime spot for some MAC shadiness IMO.

Interesting thought Marsski. If the ML has a sliver of a chance to win, then the +31 sure is appealing.

Must be said that Akron has yet to cover a game this year.

Interesting thought Marsski. If the ML has a sliver of a chance to win, then the +31 sure is appealing.

Yea, they are terrible. They couldn't beat Mass for god sakes. And I may look like a huge dumbass if Miami trucks them, but I think they are slightly live to win and, yes, I like the 31.
IN horse racing terms, I think they are a 15/1 shot that is being ignored in a maiden claiming race and you are getting crazy good odds.

I could only have the dogs in tonight's games.

BG showed they can rise up at home by beating Toledo earlier this year. Bobcats are reeling having lost two in a row when they seemed like they had a legit shot at the MAC East. I would not be surprised by an underwhelming effort by Frank's bunch and Rourke just hasn't seemed like a good QB down the stretch. He locks onto one WR and has happy feet in the pocket. Not sure BG can win a shootout but if the defense plays well, they will be in this game.

IN the other game, EMU has an 11 game losing streak to NIU...but this seems like their best chance in a long time. Both teams with bowl eligibility chances if they win out, it would be a big deal for EMU; NIU not so much.
I really like the EMU dual threat QB and he has a deep WR group to throw to...better offense and QB for Eagles vs. better defense for NIU...I think the +5 points will matter here...

I bet Ohio tonight figuring they should score whatever they want but at what point do I just consider them awful? Their pace of play is soooo slow too.

IN the other game, EMU has an 11 game losing streak to NIU...but this seems like their best chance in a long time. Both teams with bowl eligibility chances if they win out, it would be a big deal for EMU; NIU not so much.
I really like the EMU dual threat QB and he has a deep WR group to throw to...better offense and QB for Eagles vs. better defense for NIU...I think the +5 points will matter here...

Great points on EMU tonight.

I bet Ohio tonight figuring they should score whatever they want but at what point do I just consider them awful? Their pace of play is soooo slow too.
Maybe my disappointed homerism is clouding my judgment, but they seem dead in the water to me.

Played BG first half ML very small (+600 to win 1 unit)...OU with slow starts in last 4.... down 10-0 vs WMU, tied vs Miami & Kent and only up 6 on Ball in eventual 13 point win...senior night for BG, think we see some defense early from the Falcons...4 of 6 top tacklers are seniors

Last edited:
Gonna duck out for a while for some meetings, here's what I played in case I'm not back before kick...

BG ML 1H +600 to win 1 unit
BG +11.5 1H -114 to win half unit
EMU +5 to win 1 unit

And I have 15 cents on Akron ML to win $503.85

On that akron miami oh game, I saw Chuck Martin play gentlemans game and take the air out of the ball up big against BG. This is the same guy who talked about unfair advantages playing ohio state - something tells me he is going to go easy on akron kinda like nw tried to do last week against umass. Akron qb looked decent last week but with that in mind he couldn't score against so many bad opponents. If miami oh wants to play they could cover the # in the first half.

Ohio imo has actually made strides on defense since the beginning of the year. They were in shootouts left and right. Any other year without akron we are laughing about how bad bowling green is in the mac. If BG played a focused toledo I just can't help but think toledo blows there doors off.

Toledo qb actually looked decent last week imo

lean EMU and the over - seems like they prefer to throw the heck out of the ball and their defense is not that great

How often does that happen? (A team not covering a single game) seems like it probably pretty rare?

5 minutes into this game and it was obvious that EMU had to win this game while NIU just wanted to. The game wasn't close and probably because some of the reasons mentioned above. These type of insights and analyses make this site so useful.

Top Toledo RB Koback only had two carries last week, there is a noticeable drop off to Seymour if Koback can’t go for Toledo. I was inclined to take the points with the Rockets but now I’m not sure.
Buffalo has better defense vs run for sure and this matchup that should see a lot of ground and pound. Waiting to see if anything definitive comes out about Koback status as it sounds like a foot injury.

It looks like Koback doubtful.. looks like books agree line on the move northwards..so if Toledo can’t run .. can they pass? I have no clue on these Mac teams..

Peters was technically Toledo's 3rd string QB as of a month ago, but due to injuries he has started the last few this year. He started a bunch last year also due to starter being injured. He is capable. Biggest thing for Toledo this year is they no longer have their super group of WRs they have always seem to have around and reload on. So long story short, yes, they can pass but working with their QB who isn't the team's best and not as good as they historically are at receiver.

Buffalo has been all over the place this year...lost at Liberty, beat Temple, pretty much dominated Mia(Oh) but lost big due to turnovers, missed kicks cost them the Ohio game, struggled to beat Akron 21-0...I think UB only had 1 offensive TD that game if I remember. Walloped Central Mich which is pretty impressive and dominated EMich, equally impressive. Then they collapsed vs Kent after controling that game for 3 quarters.

To go along with Marksi's thought on Akron doing something tonight, they are currently +21 at +330 on Bovada! Team total is 6.5 -130 to the over. Might be worth a stab versus a team with nothing to play for.

Is being bowl eligible and clinching a conference championship = nothing to play for?

So they should just quit and finish the year 6-6 when they could be 8-4. Going 8-4 is world's different than 6-6 so I would think there's motivation. Who wants to lose to a 0-10 team? Also - it is senior night, no?

I just don't think kids playing a dozen long game season on senior night would mail it in like a 35 year old veteran on a back to back in the NBA game 65 of 82.

Must be lotta action on them Zips, line at 29.5 down from a high of 31.5 that I saw.

I see your point Inspekdah but the players only have so much say as to who the coach puts in. I don't think keeping this within 21 is all that much of a reach given the situation, that's all.

I see your point Inspekdah but the players only have so much say as to who the coach puts in. I don't think keeping this within 21 is all that much of a reach given the situation, that's all.

Good point. And it's not like style points come into play. Miami could win their next 4 games and not be ranked, etc.

My card is Akron +31.5 and over 44.5 for 1 unit each...just need a TD from Akron and the worst you do is split as Vk pointed out in his thread.
Still deciding on Toledo game but it hits 10 I’ll be on the rockets.

Is being bowl eligible and clinching a conference championship = nothing to play for?

So they should just quit and finish the year 6-6 when they could be 8-4. Going 8-4 is world's different than 6-6 so I would think there's motivation. Who wants to lose to a 0-10 team? Also - it is senior night, no?

I just don't think kids playing a dozen long game season on senior night would mail it in like a 35 year old veteran on a back to back in the NBA game 65 of 82.

Tend to agree with this. Does 6 wins even guarantee a bowl for this conf??

Sad to say, but I have watched Akron a couple times this year. The QB was pretty solid the little I watched, and I wonder why they haven't put up more points. Taking full game TT over 6.5 (-130). Had too.

Under in Akron games seem to be gold. They did show fight tonight. They're gonna want to win next week to get their first W.

Under in Akron games seem to be gold. They did show fight tonight. They're gonna want to win next week to get their first W.

I'm hoping this game gives me good value on Ohio next week. Akron is still awful. Akron used to be a hotbed for recruiting talent. Home of talents like Lebron. No Lebrons on this team. Sad to see a team from the region of the origin of football look so bad. Hope they turn it around.

I'm hoping this game gives me good value on Ohio next week. Akron is still awful. Akron used to be a hotbed for recruiting talent. Home of talents like Lebron. No Lebrons on this team. Sad to see a team from the region of the origin of football look so bad. Hope they turn it around.
I'm a MAC fan but I feel like I'm watching D2 football with these teams. It's not what it used to be.

I'm a MAC fan but I feel like I'm watching D2 football with these teams. It's not what it used to be.
Probably has to do with the coaches. This league has been plundered over the years, as it was a stomping ground for up and comer's. There are a few good young coaches, but they haven't cut their teeth yet. If the current regime sticks around, we should be watching good ball in a couple years.

Several of the difference makers that Akron has had through the Bowden years were transfers from P5 schools. There is some genuine mid-major talent that they can and do get (like current LB John Lako), but recently they have been more reliant on transfers and if I had to guess right now, this new staff is probably going to try and recruit and develop conventionally. I don't know how many kids actually come from the Akron/Canton area, the good ones aren't going to pick Akron, if Lebron had chosen football rather than basketball he'd be highly recruited and Akron wouldn't have gotten close, but there is rich talent in the Ohio/PA area for sure full of kids that falls through the cracks that MAC teams can build around.

Fat Bowden tried to get all of the Florida leftovers and didn’t really get the local guys. Akron needs to recruit the shit out of Ohio and Pa. and I think they’ll be better when they get back to that.

It is once again upon us.

Ohio needs this for bowl eligibility.

NIU looked like dogshit last week, but it is the MAC and every week is an adventure.

is niu's qb playing tonight and if not how is his backup ? total looks like it's been going down ; has to be weather related because 51 is awfully low for these two teams assuming fully healthy

is niu's qb playing tonight and if not how is his backup ? total looks like it's been going down ; has to be weather related because 51 is awfully low for these two teams assuming fully healthy
Childers is playing tonight. He’s a running QB who is pretty inaccurate when throwing anything beyond short dump off passes. They will be doing zone read stuff with him.

Back