This week....

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Not the usual title...had to differ it up..came home and my net was down...so decided to go out for a few cocktails.....:tiphat:

Anyways, more analysis to come..have it all on my notepad but if I try and type now..gonna need spellcheck...

Last week was good..posted record I lost units...Hunt got us some cash with Colorado...got soft lines with local when I was workin on VT and Iowa...so actually made a bit of money...

27-18-2 +8.10 units

Like I said, better than posted..ended up with 5 total units on Iowa with line change..netted one unit there...plus VT and someone else..happy with week..

Heres plays..some played Tuesday and some Monday...I will explain fuller tomorrow fo sho...I owe Hunt the Big Blue write-up...

Michigan +6 -110 4 units
Purdue +1 -110 3 units
Louisville -3 -120 2 units
Va Tech +7 -110 3 units
Alabama + 7 -120 3 units
Auburn -6.5 -120 2 units
South Florida -9 -110 4 units
Okie State -17 -105 2 units
Indiana +8.5 -110

Lovin this card...got some bad numbers/buys with the time delay..but oh frickin well....

Be back in morning to discuss:cheers::tiphat:

Last edited:
I really like that Louisville play BAR, UCONN is over rated. Uconn sports the 102nd ranked passing game in the country, the Uconn QB is horrible. Baylor moved the ball with ease vs the Uconn "D", I see the Cards by 14+ :cheers:

like the card bar; i'm on your boys as well and purdue. would lean your way on the others too except for probably bama

Agree or neutral with all your games except Purdue, who has won at TD Jesus once since 1976; a lot of people seem infatuated with Purdue this week after being outgained by Central Michigan. I think Purdue is slow and pretty much sucks.

Good luck this week BAR...really starting to warm up to the Michigan and USF plays as well; USF...just a little worried about the short turnaround to Pitt next Thursday but I still think it's solid as NCS is off a satisfying win and are beat to shit.

I really like that Louisville play BAR, UCONN is over rated. Uconn sports the 102nd ranked passing game in the country, the Uconn QB is horrible. Baylor moved the ball with ease vs the Uconn "D", I see the Cards by 14+ :cheers:

I was surprised to see the total at only 50 so I just hit the Over for 3 units. I'd expect 52 by kickoff.

MeasyMoney,

I would lean OSU in all honesty. Not going to play. Yanks has some nice thoughts about this game.

Jump,

Painter played fine in that game from everything I looked at. 75 percent passing...yeah, one fumble and one pick but I think he'll be fine

First some articles from mlive.com

Michigan re-shuffles its offensive line combination

by John Heuser | The Ann Arbor News Thursday September 25, 2008, 2:00 AM

It's an old story, but there's a new twist as the University of Michigan football team prepares to host No. 9 Wisconsin on Saturday.
Banged up all season, the Wolverines' offensive line has re-shuffled players this week in a different combination.
Left guard Tim McAvoy has worked at left tackle, coach Rich Rodriguez said, and backup right guard John Ferrara has been getting repetitions at left guard. Those moves were precipitated by injuries to starting left tackle Mark Ortmann and his backup, Perry Dorrestein.
Ortmann, who missed Michigan's loss to Notre Dame with a dislocated right elbow, practiced in a green, non-contact jersey Wednesday. Rodriguez said before practice that Ortmann would be able to play against the Badgers. He wasn't so optimistic about Dorrestein, who donned a green practice jersey because of a knee injury.
"It really depends on what he does today and tomorrow," Rodriguez said of Dorrestein. "...You don't want to keep switching guys, you want to get a chemistry going, but because of injuries, we've been forced to do that."
Another previously injured player, backup guard Mark Huyge, has returned to practice and could play Saturday, the coach added.
More injury updates
Despite freshman Sam McGuffie getting the bulk of the carries, Rodriguez said he remains committed to using other running backs, including, among others, junior Carlos Brown, who has carried the ball twice this season. "Now that Carlos Brown is healthy, you'll see more of Carlos in this game than you did earlier in the season," the coach said. Freshman slot receiver Terrence Robinson, who suffered a knee injury in training camp, practiced Wednesday in a green jersey and moved at less than full speed.
Michigan's keys to winning</STRONG>
Cutting down on turnovers (Michigan had six versus Notre Dame) is the first order of business against the Badgers. What else is important? Not giving up big plays, tackling with more authority and performing better defensively in third-and-long situations, Rodriguez said. "This is the best team we've played so far, a top 10 team and playing very well," he added. "If we don't play better we'll get blown out. If we play better, we've got a chance."
Locked in with Threet
Rodriguez reaffirmed that the early season, two-quarterback experiment has concluded. Steven Threet is No. 1, Nick Sheridan No. 2. "Steve's the starter and we're gonna ride with that," Rodriguez said. "Nick is getting better and he's ready, but Steve has earned the starting role."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The heavyweight tussles have become a regular part of Terrance Taylor's daily practice routine.
The University of Michigan senior defensive tackle locks up with offensive lineman David Moosman, knowing if he's taken down, what happens next is inevitable.
When Taylor gets overmatched, he is pinned to the ground by Moosman, who keeps him there with his 295-pound frame.
But it Taylor wins the 1-on-1 line battle, he'll return the favor, restraining Moosman by sitting on his teammate.
But these days, Taylor's finishing move isn't nearly as punishing as it once was.
A slimmed-down Taylor has dropped 33 pounds from last season, making him a more active and more athletic part of the Wolverines' defensive line.
He recently weighed in at 295 pounds - a virtual shell of a player who registered a career-high 55 tackles last season while tipping the scales at 328 pounds at his heaviest.
But transforming his body to its current playing condition hasn't been easy.
In addition to drastically modifying a diet once dominated by fast food, Taylor has become a dedicated poster boy for Mike Barwis' strength and conditioning system implemented in the off-season to make the defense quicker.
"I'm not going to lie to you - they're going to hurt, they're going to be sore, they're going to be worn out and they're going to be beat up," Barwis said back in the spring.

"But when we set foot on the field, we want to be in better shape, better condition. For that to happen, we have to work harder."
Taylor is living proof, as his off-season weight-room regimen is now paying off as the Wolverines prepare for their most physical test of the young season.
In three games, Taylor has made seven tackles and registered two sacks. And while his numbers aren't where he'd like them to be because he's often being double-teamed, Taylor knows his physical conditioning has put him in a better position to make plays.
"If you watch the games - in the fourth quarter, we're not tired," Taylor said. "In the first couple games, you'd look at the (opposing) offensive line and they're breathing hard. We're not even tired."
Yet, while Michigan's defense is better-conditioned, it has proven in the first three games to be prone to making mistakes.
They're not big, impossible obstacles, Taylor said, but rather, little inconsistencies that, when added up, result in problems.
This week, Taylor graded Michigan's showing thus far as a C+.
"We're in the best shape of our lives, but we can't make mistakes," Taylor said. "And that's what takes us out of games."
Wolverines coach Rich Rod-riguez used the bye week to focus on the little things, saying the competitive sabbatical proved valuable to the Wolverines' Big 10 preparations.
And while improvement will continued to be stressed as Michigan moves closer to Saturday's stiff test against No. 9 Wisconsin, the emphasis on conditioning also remains a top priority.
Each Sunday, players lift weights before practice. They spend as much as 10 hours a day at the football building. The schedule is nothing like it was in the past, and Taylor notices the difference.
Not only with his teammates, but in himself.
So, too, does Rodriguez.
"You may not see the sacks, but Terrance is in good shape and he's worked hard," Rodriguez said. "He's made some plays, and he's been solid. But the bigger test is going to come this week."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wisconsin's Bielema eyes victory at Big House, but says beating Michigan won't be easy

by John Heuser | The Ann Arbor News Wednesday September 24, 2008, 1:21 AM

University of Wisconsin football coach Bret Bielema knows what it's like to beat Michigan in Ann Arbor. He just hasn't done it as a coach.
During his playing days, Bielema was part of the Iowa team that edged the Wolverines 24-23 in 1990. Since becoming a coach - first as an Iowa assistant, and now with Wisconsin - Bielema hasn't tasted victory in Michigan Stadium.
He and his team will get another chance Saturday when Big Ten play opens. The No. 9 Badgers (3-0) are favored over the Wolverines (1-2), but Bielema anticipates seeing a better Michigan team. Especially with the Wolverines and coach Rich Rodriguez having a bye week to prepare.
"He's a good coach for a reason," Bielema said on Tuesday's Big Ten teleconference. "With young players, you have the ability to make the most improvement in a shorter period of time. ... Usually when you surround good football players with good coaches, they get improvement."
Turnovers aside, Bielema said he thought Michigan's performance in its Sept. 13 loss at Notre Dame was notable for several reasons: The offensive line played its best game of the season, the Wolverines identified their quarterback (Steven Threet) and their top running back (Sam McGuffie).
"We haven't beaten Michigan in Michigan since 1994," Bielema said. "I'm excited and I know our kids are excited about the opportunity to go to Michigan and see what happens."
Badger injury update
Like Michigan, Wisconsin didn't play last week, and the time off was used by several key players to heal. Top running back P.J. Hill, who rushed for 123 yards in the Badgers' 13-10 win Sept. 13 at Fresno State, was recovering from a bruised back and leg. Hill's backup, redshirt freshman John Clay, had suffered from back spasms and All-America tight end Travis Beckum is coming off a hamstring injury that has slowed him since training camp.
In his news conference Monday, Bielema sounded optimistic that all three would be healthy for Saturday's game.
Settling on Pryor
Senior Todd Boeckman earned All-Big Ten first-team honors last season. Terrelle Pryor hadn't played a down of college football until last month. But as No. 14 Ohio State (3-1) prepares for its conference opener against Minnesota on Saturday, there's a new starting quarterback in Columbus.
Boeckman, who started the season's first three games, has been supplanted by Pryor, who started the last one.
"I would call Terrelle the starting quarterback," Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said. "I don't know if that means 95 percent of the snaps or 65 percent of the snaps. I would call him that."
Considered the nation's No. 1 recruit this year, Pryor has impressed Tressel with his ability to quickly grasp the offense.
"Terrelle probably learned at a more rapid pace than any other freshman I've been around," the coach said.
Boeckman has handled the demotion well, Tressel said, and continues to support his successor. In his start - last week's 28-10 win over Troy - Pryor completed 10 of 16 passes for 139 yards, four touchdowns and an interception. He also rushed for 66 yards.
"There are little things that need to be second nature that we need to improve on," Tressel said, assessing Pryor's play. "But on the big things; decision making, turnovers, big plays, I'd say he scored very well."
QB derby at Iowa
While Ohio State and Michigan have settled on No. 1 quarterbacks, the merry-go-round continues in Iowa City. The first game, Jake Christensen started, then it was Ricky Stanzi, then Stanzi, then Christensen. Now, the job's going back to Stanzi.
"At some point we'll work through this equation," Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said. "It gets old, but at some given point, I think the picture will become a little more clear."
Stanzi has completed 29 of 48 passes for 426 yards and three touchdowns this season, while Christensen is 33-of-56 for 372 yards and two TDs.
Wildcats get defensive
Chasing after Stanzi this weekend will be a Northwestern defensive line that has been grabbing quarterbacks and the attention of the rest of the Big Ten. After getting just 18 sacks in 2007, the Wildcats lead the conference with 15 sacks this year. Junior defensive end Corey Wooton has 3.5 sacks, followed by freshman Vince Browne, who had all three of his sacks last weekend against Ohio. Off to a 4-0 start for the first time since 1962, the Wildcats can give much of the credit to the defense, which is coordinated by former Michigan player Mike Hankwitz, who's in his first season in Evanston. Tenth in the Big Ten in scoring defense a year ago, Northwestern ranks third in the league (11.2 points per game) so far this season.
Game of the week
Penn State has spent the season's first four weeks bullying far lesser opponents. Now the No. 12-ranked Nittany Lions will get a tougher team, No. 22 Illinois. Expect Penn State -Â led by the league's most efficient quarterback, Daryll Clark -Â to step up to the challenge and edge the Fighting Illini in Saturday night's ABC game.

EAST LANSING -- Missouri sent Heisman Trophy voters 3-D View-Masters with a slide presentation to promote Tigers quarterback Chase Daniel.
Michigan State doesn't have plans to blitz the media with a counterstrike any time soon on behalf of running back Javon Ringer, whose candidacy for national honors is gaining traction.
But MSU coach Mark Dantonio offered one idea Tuesday at his weekly news conference.
"As far as the little things, people do you get a little card or a little sticker, and you put it on your, er, uh, refrigerator," Dantonio said. "I don't know that that's going to get him the Heisman.
"I think running downhill, breaking tackles, scoring touchdowns and getting yards will do something to help him. And the more successful we are as a team, the more media exposure there is."
Dantonio made clear, however, he is not against promotional gimmicks.
"I like those little things," he said.
Ringer is developing into MSU's most viable Heisman candidate since tailback Lorenzo White finished fourth behind winner Tim Brown of Notre Dame in 1987. White also finished fourth as a sophomore in '85, the year Auburn's Bo Jackson won.
Although Michigan State's bang-drumming is conspicuous by its absence, Ringer is attracting a fair share of the spotlight.
It helped he became the first Spartan to rush for back-to-back 200-yard games against Florida Atlantic and Notre Dame and all but secured last weekend's 23-7 win against the Fighting Irish with a seasonlong 63-yard run.
He has gained more attention this week by becoming the first player in Big Ten history to garner offensive player of the week honors in three consecutive weeks.
And it certainly doesn't hurt Ringer's cause to lead the nation in scoring with 11 touchdowns and be second in rushing with 174.8 yards per game to Connecticut's Donald Brown with 179.
Interview requests by national writers, such as ESPN.com's Ivan Maisel, also are increasing, said John Lewandowski, MSU's associate athletic director for communications.
Ringer will get another chance to shine on the national stage in Saturday's noon Big Ten opener at Indiana (ESPN). Three of the five greatest rushing performances in MSU history took place against the Hoosiers. And the best of all -- Eric Allen's 350 yards on 29 attempts -- took place in the state of Indiana at Purdue in 1971.
Dantonio doesn't mind one player being promoted as long as it is within the team concept. That's not a concern with the unassuming Ringer, who credits his blockers for all his success.
"My belief is you always put the team first, and we don't want to focus on one particular person or say we're going to run you 40 times regardless of the situation just to run you 40 times," Dantonio said. "We have to make sure we're succeeding and winning as a football team, and when that happens, more recognition will follow."
Despite his tendency to be deferential Ringer -- who is fourth on ESPN.com's Heisman Watch behind Daniel, Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford and BYU quarterback Max Hall but ahead of Southern Cal quarterback Mark Sanchez -- is willing to deal with the hype as it comes.
"Honestly, I couldn't tell you what the best part of being a Heisman candidate is," Ringer said Tuesday evening after practice. "I don't hear too much about it unless I'm being interviewed. My teammates don't really talk about it. If anything, they joke around with me negatively, but that's all in fun.
"I just want to make sure I do good job of representing our program and this school and not necessarily myself."
Michigan State's understated approach to promoting Ringer doesn't mean the school is naive when it comes to how much another major award -- such as those won by Ed Bagdon (Outland Trophy, 1949), Brad Van Pelt (Maxwell Award, 1972), Percy Snow (Butkus and Lombardi awards, 1989) and Charles Rogers (Biletnikoff Award, 2002) -- would assist in building the program.
"You've seen the lobby in the new Skandalaris Center," Lewandowski said. "All five of those major awards are right there front and center. No question about it."

there he is...the master write up guy...good luck and let's cash those puppies.

Michigan-Wisconsin

Didn't get the best line I could have. Just was unable to get to a computer in time to grab a 6.5 or 7. Either way, I think they win it on the field. I know Hunt is talking ML and I may add a bit as well. You will notice this is my first Michigan game played this season. Wanted to watch them a few times and adjust from there.

Lets start by looking back at the Michigan-Notre dame contest. This is imperative because if you just looked at the final score you wouldn't really know how that game went. It was a game of turnovers. Eight in all by both squads. The problem is Michigan had 6 of those. Offhand, 4 of those were cause for a 28-0 swing. It was bad. It was dumb stuff too. Kickoff returns, a lateral pass and some slippery fingers by Steven Threet on a wet track at times. Michigan held them to 260 yards. Is Notre Dame good? Hell now. They are as bad as lat year it seems after a 3 games. The big thing to look at though is the progress Michigan has made each week. Staying with the Notre Dame game we saw a more confident Threet throwing the ball. More accurate as well. We also saw another breakout game for McGuffie. The defense played very well even when put into tough spots.

Whats always said about Michigan defensively. Can't stop the spread. Well, since the first half against Utah they have played well defensively for the most part. They have had some mistakes as article above alludes too. I believe they will shore these up and have with a bye week. What I love about this matchup defensively is how Wisconsin plays. They have that classic Big Ten power offense with PJ Hill. Well, guess what, that plays right into Michigans strength. I think they really can hold this team down this week.

Lets examine the line then. Basically they are saying that Wisky would be near a 2 TD favorite at home. Thats absurd. Wisky coulda lost to Marshall and shoulda lost to Fresno St. I think Utah is better than Wisky. Thats a ten point difference on the line. Yes, Utah dominated that first half but it was also the first half for a new offense, coach etc.

I think Michigan takes it on the field. As long as they can play crisp, clean football...which I think they can..they restore some faith in the Big Blue..

Michigan 24-17

BAR, does the fact that USF is sitting out 2 starting DL including Selvie concern you laying 9 on the road with a short week before Pitt?

Rj,

Yes, a bit..

But I still like this spot. Not worried about a Pitt lookahead. Pitt is garbage. I still think this line is valued. USF played great against Kansas but otherwise has played down to competition somewhat. NC State had their breakout win last week but that team is garbage. That was a classic spot last week that I should have paid more attention too. Not too qworried about States offense. I think this will be about a 27-7 game in all honesty.

the write ups I can only dream of doing...good shit brah.

And what I didn't put in there...

Wisconsin's schdule is brutal afterwards.

They have PSU and tOSU in Madison the next two weeks before going to Iowa, back home to Illy then a road trip to East Lansing. They may be looking at this as their "cupcake" game in all reality.

BAR, does the fact that USF is sitting out 2 starting DL including Selvie concern you laying 9 on the road with a short week before Pitt?

I must be on crack to have missed this...link please?! Can't find it anywhere?

<!-- / message -->

Yeah, I like a lot of others were wrong on that game. Lorenzen cost them some points in EZ too. As Yanks was saying to me, UL is giving up 33 ypgf or sumtin like that on ground. Mind you, they have played passing teams so far so that is somewhat skewed...but they should be able to contain D. Brown from totally going off. Speed seems to hurt them as well.

still waiting for a link on the Selvie injury...

What...did Leavitt call RJ and BAR personally and no one else?

Yup, coaches wanted to do text messaging but that costs RJ a fortune at 20 cents a pop:hang:

Haha. Last day is tomorrow then I'm on the unlimited plan, mofo.

No more texts from Yanks (he's like a little schoolgirl with them) ending in "20 cents".

bar

i had 2 tickets handed to me for illinois/michigan for next week

thought about making the trip

turned em down, figured it'd be a blowout

I-L-L

And what I didn't put in there...

Wisconsin's schdule is brutal afterwards.

They have PSU and tOSU in Madison the next two weeks before going to Iowa, back home to Illy then a road trip to East Lansing. They may be looking at this as their "cupcake" game in all reality.

I hate to disagree here, but I feel that they could just as easily, if not more so, be looking at this game as a must win with that schedule coming up. No one is going to look past Michigan... Yes, we, as the objective public can say with confidence that that Michigan is on an FSU esq turn in the wrong direction and are down this year... But the coaches and players still see Michigan as "Michigan." Its not like they have been bad for 5 years straight and this game is a pushover... Didn't they end up with only 2 losses last year? Michigan is awful this year, and everyone knows it... but that doesn't take the proverbial target off their back... They haven't been bad near long enough to be looked at as a cupcake by any in-conference opponent... any time in the near future.

just my opinion :tiphat:I have no material interest in either side here, I just feel that the look-ahead angle isn't going to be a large factor in this one for Wisky. Best of luck on the play

:cheers:

Selvie out (of starting lineup) for N.C. State
Posted Sep 24, 2008 at 09:09 PM

Updated Sep 24, 2008 at 09:17 PM

University of South Florida All-American DE George Selvie, who has practiced sparingly the past three days because of an ankle injury suffered last week, will play Saturday, but will not start. It will end Selvie’s team-high streak of 30 consecutive starts, every game he’s played in his USF career.
Sophomore NT Terrell McClain (ankle) also won’t start against N.C. State.
“Will they go in the second play?” USF coach Jim Leavitt said. “I don’t know.”
Sophomore DE Craig Marshall will get his first start in place of Selvie, while sophomore NT Sampson Genus, who missed last week’s game with an ankle injury, will start for McClain.
Leavitt said he was replacing Selvie and McClain in the starting lineup to reward Marshall and Genus, who have taken the bulk of reps in practice this week.
“That doesn’t mean George won’t play a lot of football, but we’re going to start guys who have practiced and worked hard,” Leavitt said.
Starting SS Carlton Williams (hip), who has been limited in practice this week, is expected to play Saturday.
Also, RG Zach Hermann, who suffered a broken foot Sept 8, definitely will not return for next week’s game with Pittsburgh, Leavitt said. OL coach Mike Simmonds initially hoped Hermann could return when the Bulls began Big East play.

BAR I see Pitt meeting Michigan in a bowl game :)

:)

would that be the gaylord bowl? cuz then i could see your point:smiley_acbe:

BOL this week BAR, lookin to add the ville, not against you or following you on any of the rest. which is prolly a good sign for you

i say if you hit 70%, you deserve to be drunk enough to finally delete "just so you all know":cheers:

:popcorn:

Back