This might be the last straw, David Stern is out of control...

D-Woww

Old Man Dan
<s>@</s>SportsCenter DEVELOPING: NBA Commissioner David Stern promises "substantial sanctions" for Spurs' approach to THU game.

You have got to be fucking kidding me?! You give them a brutal schedule, and now you are bitching they are thinking about the big picture instead of your Thursday Night Game. I hope Pop goes off and calls Stern out here. Hes the motherfucking coach, he can do what he wants with his team

you know the only reason its an issue because its against the heat on tnt thursday......I wouldnt mind if behind closed doors Stern had something to say about it but it silly to do anything about it.....Just reiterate it wasnt the best time to do this.....Or bitch to whoever makes the schedule because a better job can be done in general for every team

I for once will back David Stern here. This is the FREAKING NBA, at no time should you rest any players and especially a prime time game. You get paid millions to go out and play every night to entertain us fans.

It's sad for the sport and it ruins a game where its nationally televised for fans to not even see their best playing.

"I apologize to all NBA fans," Stern said in a statement. "This was an unacceptable decision by the San Antonio Spurs and substantial sanctions will be forthcoming."

I for once will back David Stern here. This is the FREAKING NBA, at no time should you rest any players and especially a prime time game. You get paid millions to go out and play every night to entertain us fans.

It's sad for the sport and it ruins a game where its nationally televised for fans to not even see their best playing.

"I apologize to all NBA fans," Stern said in a statement. "This was an unacceptable decision by the San Antonio Spurs and substantial sanctions will be forthcoming."

look im trying to not be a dick and call you a name, but you are very wrong here.

you dont want a coach to rest his aging players, then dont schedule a game for a team playing its 4th game in 6 nights vs a team that has played what? 1 game in the last 6 nights?

Popovich doesnt care about each game, he cares about winning a championship, which is EXACTLY WHAT HE SHOULD CARE ABOUT.

All that is even besides the point, Popovich can do this in game 7 of the Western Conference Finals if he wants you. You know why? This is his fucking job! He is the coach! He can do what he wants. Stern's job isnt to tell coaches what to do.

How many teams have clearly tanked 2nd halves of the season on Sterns watch? They never got fined. What's next? If the Tigers are locked into the playoffs and Verlanders scheduled to pitch the last game of the year, and Leyland pulls him for a minor leaguer so hes fresh for gm 1 of the playoffs, can Selig fine the Tigers?

You are the commissioner, not the coach of all teams. He thinks hes fucking Hitler

Maybe the league shouldn't schedule 4 games in 5 nights and 8 in 11, or whatever it was when they aren't in a time crunched 66 game schedule. Are you fucking kidding me that teams have to play that in a full 82 game season? What is ruined about the game anyway, there's probably 2-4 teams that SA w/o those players, would beat consistently.

The Spurs didn't break any rules, I'm legitimately confused. Is this actually a thing now? Pop has been doing this for what, 10 years now?

I think it's pops call and still a decent product.......no worse then wash playing at miami....fans who bought tickets are an issue because there probably was a premium......still think its discussion worthy but sanctions....?.......oh and dont many teams in baseball rest their regular in day after night games?

It's total nonsense. Show me where it says on an NBA ticket that all regular rotation players will play if healthy, this isn't even one of those unwritten rules everybody loves rambling about.

Maybe the league shouldn't schedule 4 games in 5 nights and 8 in 11, or whatever it was when they aren't in a time crunched 66 game schedule. Are you fucking kidding me that teams have to play that in a full 82 game season? What is ruined about the game anyway, there's probably 2-4 teams that SA w/o those players, would beat consistently.

You are right but again this just ISN'T the spurs schedule. For instance the Lakers also had 4 games in 5 nights this year also already and I bet many other teams did too. I guess one thing wrong about this here is the Heats were resting for a few days.

look im trying to not be a dick and call you a name, but you are very wrong here.

you dont want a coach to rest his aging players, then dont schedule a game for a team playing its 4th game in 6 nights vs a team that has played what? 1 game in the last 6 nights?

Popovich doesnt care about each game, he cares about winning a championship, which is EXACTLY WHAT HE SHOULD CARE ABOUT.

All that is even besides the point, Popovich can do this in game 7 of the Western Conference Finals if he wants you. You know why? This is his fucking job! He is the coach! He can do what he wants. Stern's job isnt to tell coaches what to do.

How many teams have clearly tanked 2nd halves of the season on Sterns watch? They never got fined. What's next? If the Tigers are locked into the playoffs and Verlanders scheduled to pitch the last game of the year, and Leyland pulls him for a minor leaguer so hes fresh for gm 1 of the playoffs, can Selig fine the Tigers?

You are the commissioner, not the coach of all teams. He thinks hes fucking Hitler

Seriously, David Stern is a fucking douche. Not only has he decided to pick and choose which trades he wants to allow or veto with no rhyme or reason, he has overseen a seemingly very corrupt NBA, and somehow he's gotten away with it for as long as he has. There was a gambling scandal with his referees, and he comes out (without a full investigation) and says it was an isolated instance. No one presses him on it, and the whole thing a. is blamed solely on one referee, and b. blew over within a week or so. The evil puppet master pulling at the strings, all while the media (ESPN) suck his cock at every turn, turning a blind eye to what actually goes on in his sport.

Draft lotteries have been fixed, games (playoff games especially) have been fixed. The referees are either horrible or favor certain teams and players over others, and when someone like Cuban speaks up about it, the dictator slaps him with a hefty fine. Why wouldn't you want your games to be officiated as well as possible? If someone can help you to make the product better, why wouldn't you?

I just checked the Heats schedule, and they've also had four games in five nights this year as well.

In conclusion, everyone needs to relieze that the spurs are not the only team that played four games in five nights.

So far I have checked on Lakers and Heats, they've both played four games in five nights and don't remember them resting any players.

I think it's pops call and still a decent product.......no worse then wash playing at miami....fans who bought tickets are an issue because there probably was a premium......still think its discussion worthy but sanctions....?.......oh and dont many teams in baseball rest their regular in day afters night game?

Of course they do, it's their team and they can do as they wish with it. If the owner of the SA Spurs doesn't have an issue with it, who in the fuck is David Stern to say anything?

The Warriors made a conscious effort to lose games for two months of an entire season just to get the 7th or 8th pick, but this is the violation?

This would open a really ugly can of worms. Preseason tickets literally cannot cost the same as regular season tickets under this premise.

He's done after this year, isn't he? Is this his way of a going away present, or is this how he's going to be for anything possible this year?

In conclusion, everyone needs to relieze that the spurs are not the only team that played four games in five nights.

fair enough. but they are an old team. and a COACH has a job to put his team in the best position to win a championship. If that means doing this then that is his right, whether stern agrees with it or not.

What about the NFL. Should the Packers have been fined for starting Matt Flynn on the last game of the season?! Those fans paid money to see MVP Aaron Rodgers!!

This would open a really ugly can of worms. Preseason tickets literally cannot cost the same as regular season tickets under this premise.

They still have other NBA players on their roster, why can't they? Don't keep expanding your league and watering down the talent for years, and then be pissed when 6-12 on a team is so bad that fans want money back.

Had these players made the trip and just sat the bench, would this be happening? Probably not, which is why it's fucking retarded that it's happening now.

You are right but again this just ISN'T the spurs schedule. For instance the Lakers also had 4 games in 5 nights this year also already and I bet many other teams did too. I guess one thing wrong about this here is the Heats were resting for a few days.

the point is that shouldn't be happening AT ALL, to ANY TEAM. It's a normal season, with what should be a normal schedule. Why is there a need for 4 games in 5 nights for any team with a mother fucking 7 month regular season?

What about the NFL. Should the Packers have been fined for starting Matt Flynn on the last game of the season?! Those fans paid money to see MVP Aaron Rodgers!!

Those fans should of been smart enough to know that would not happen after clinching the playoffs, no brainier there...literally.:popcorn:

its not just the 4 in 5 aspect, heat played twice since the 17th and spurs 6 times.......5 away.....but the 17th was the end of miami's trip and had 3 days off.......SA goes home and plays memphis on sat.......just need to meet in the middle of these 2 extremes imo

the point is that shouldn't be happening AT ALL, to ANY TEAM. It's a normal season, with what should be a normal schedule. Why is there a need for 4 games in 5 nights for any team with a mother fucking 7 month regular season?

+1

Those fans should of been smart enough to know that would not happen after clinching the playoffs, no brainier there...literally.:popcorn:

no, those fans prob got their tickets before the season. they had no idea the playoff spot would be locked.

Can Stern start fining teams for taking a day off of practice? Because if they aren't practicing every day, then they aren't really trying their hardest to win every game, are they?

Can Stern start fining teams with inferior workout facilities? Can he start going after teams that may not watch as much video on opponents as others?

I think Dwayne Wade and Lebron James are more pissed than David Stern....

I got pops back. Season is a grind. His team is old

Fuck u David stern

remember when the 14-0 colts sat all their guys in the second half against the jets? and the jets beat them? then the very next week on snf the bengals sat everybody and the jets beat them too? and the jets GOT IN THE PLAYOFFS BECAUSE OF IT?? and the NFL outearns the NBA by what, 2000%?

This happens all the goddamn time, when you're really good you earn the right to do this.

the best would be if the spurs won. the heat will get fined for tanking too.

DWYANE WADE FINED 25K FOR RUNNING BACK ON DEFENSE ONCE THIS WHOLE YEAR

the best would be if the spurs won. the heat will get fined for tanking too.

DWYANE WADE FINED 25K FOR RUNNING BACK ON DEFENSE ONCE THIS WHOLE YEAR

If the Spurs win, how could Stern possibly follow through with discipline? Serious question this time.

Also, doesn't Stern answer to the owners? How is SA's owner going to take getting fined for this? Again, he owns the team and is seemingly okay with whatever Pop decides to do, so why on Earth does Stern have a say in any of it?

yeah that's the weird thing here imo as well-even the veto, there were insufferable assholes like gilbert who wanted it to an extent. i highly doubt there's any owner in the league who supports a fine here.

So far I have checked on Lakers and Heats, they've both played four games in five nights and don't remember them resting any players.

were they all on the road?

5 in 7?

6 in 9?

hahahah i love that stern thinks he can control personnel decisions for the teams, that is fucking hilarious

thank goodness he will be gone soon

were they all on the road?

5 in 7?

6 in 9?

Yes and Yes...as far as the Heats go so seriously Stern has a point. ATL, MEM, HOU, LA, DEN are no joke squad either

[TABLE="class: tablehead, width: 756"]
<tbody>[TR="class: oddrow team-46-1"]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Fri, Nov 9[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]5-1[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Bosh 24[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]James 11[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Teague 11[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-46-29, bgcolor: transparent"]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Sun, Nov 11[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]5-2[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Ellington25[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Randolph 12[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Conley Jr. 9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-46-10"]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Mon, Nov 12[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]6-2[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]James 38[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Asik 14[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Wade 7[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-46-12, bgcolor: transparent"]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Wed, Nov 14[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]6-3[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]James 30[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Griffin 14[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Paul 10[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-46-7"]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Thu, Nov 15[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]7-3[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]James 27[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Faried 20[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]James 12[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-46-21, bgcolor: transparent"]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Sat, Nov 17[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]8-3[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Bosh 24[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Bosh 9[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Dragic 8[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Yes and Yes...as far as the Heats go so seriously Stern has a point. ATL, MEM, HOU, LA, DEN are no joke squad either

[TABLE="class: tablehead, width: 756"]
<tbody>[TR="class: oddrow team-46-1"]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Fri, Nov 9[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]5-1[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Bosh 24[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]James 11[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Teague 11[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-46-29, bgcolor: transparent"]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Sun, Nov 11[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]5-2[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Ellington25[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Randolph 12[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Conley Jr. 9[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-46-10"]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Mon, Nov 12[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]6-2[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]James 38[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Asik 14[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Wade 7[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-46-12, bgcolor: transparent"]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Wed, Nov 14[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]6-3[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]James 30[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Griffin 14[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Paul 10[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: oddrow team-46-7"]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Thu, Nov 15[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]7-3[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]James 27[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]Faried 20[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: transparent"]James 12[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: evenrow team-46-21, bgcolor: transparent"]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Sat, Nov 17[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]8-3[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Bosh 24[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Bosh 9[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #F1F1F1"]Dragic 8[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

The only point this proves is that the NBA schedule makers are fucking morons. They have 7 months to schedule games for 30 teams, there is no need to have that many games in so few nights for any team, let alone the amount of teams who've had to endure it.

In the playoffs, they drag each series out over weeks, taking multiple days (like 3 or 4 in some cases) off between games. There's no excuse for that, just like there's no excuse for 4 games in 5 or 6 nights in the regular season. It's the year 2012, with the computers and technology out there today, scheduling shouldn't be such an issue. Or, it could be that dictator Stern is being so greedy and trying to squeeze every single dollar he possibly can out of fans, teams, etc, the schedule fuck ups are nothing more than the league wanting it that way. He's a disgrace, how he lasted as long as he did, I'll never understand.

Pops did the right thing. Memphis is a serious threat. If other coaches fail to do it---too bad.

Stern is just mad his prime time game on TNT didn't showcase the Spurs top caliber players. Stern is only in it for the ratings and the hooplah. He doesn't give a shit about the players, coaches, or anybody else. He only cares about $$$$$. The nerve of him to think he can run the teams and not it's head coaches.

Back