The Sports Cruncher's 2015 CFB Week 02 Lines & Market Play

I took UNT @ SMU Over 56 when it opened, a play I don't really like by the numbers, just anticipating the line move there. The line is at 61.5 now and starting to drop, so I'm going to buy back the half unit @ 61.5 and go for the middle.

SMU actually executed their offense at a pretty slow pace against Baylor -- more than 29 seconds per play. I thought they were supposed to up tempo with new HC Chad Morris? Anyway, I expect them to move quicker in this game, but I still think this game plays out to the mid 50s. It's North Texas, after all, one of the absolute worst offenses in FBS last year (though their defense wasn't much better, to be honest).

A little write up for tonight's game.

A week #2 game is still going to be based primarily on last year's stats. Last year LT dominated WKU, outgaining them 507 to 297 yards en route to a 59-10 final score. LT shut down WKU's passing game like nobody else was able to do last year -- not even Marshall, who had a higher passer defense rating that LT. How many times will you see a team beat a team by 49 points and them open up as a dog against them the following year? Wouldn't surprise me if this was the first time ever, lol. Even after adjusting for graduation and returning personnel I don't think home field is worth 40 points. As for this year, WKU got off to a slow start against Vandy and was lucky to win. Their offense finally got something going in the 2nd half - not a lot, but enough to beat Vandy who squandered numerous scoring opportunities and fell a foot and half short from tying the game at the end. LT ranked much higher than VAN in defense last year, though LT has less returning defensive starters and % of tackles than VAN this year. LT cruised to an easy win against Southern last week. LT now has former Florida Gator Jeff Driskel at QB, and he was efficient going 12-15, 274 yards and 4 touchdowns. Whoa, that's wayyyy more than efficient, even if it's a small sample size against an FCS school. WKU couldn't run it against Vandy last week, and surrendered more yards per run and pass than VAN usually gained last year.

Final Score Prediction -- LT 33 - WKU 27

Adding for 1/2 Unit: ARMY @ UCONN Over 46

Was hoping for 45, but it didn't quite get there, and is now moving back up. This is in interesting game for my spreadsheet, as the addition of a new variable to my O/U line making is the main reason I like the Over here. Last year these two played to the mid 50s, as did every Army game, on average. UConn's average game came in at just under 50 last year, but that's because UConn couldn't score -- they still gave up over 30 points per game. Army won't be stopping anyone this year really. They couldn't stop Fordham last week and lost. Army fields a lot of new players this year, my only fear for the Over is that Army's offense is more affected by it then I project this year

Adding for 1/2 Unit: BUFF @ PSU Under 52.5

A warning up front -- this play goes against the market which has taken the opening 49 up over the key # 52. Why? I can hazard some guesses, and they all have to do with Buffalo. The Bulls were not a good defense last year, particularly on the road. They have high turnover defensively coming into this year. IMO they weren't as bad as some think, though they were the worst at giving up big plays (which isn't exactly a PSU specialty, I'm thinking). Secondly, Buffalo returns a lot of their offense, including a good QB in Joe Licata. This game will be an FBS baptism by fire for new HC Leipold who jumped all the way up from Wis-Whitewater in the DIII ranks.

Sure Temple has a pretty good defense, but PSU didn't even come close to applying scoring pressure after the first quarter last week. BUFF coach Leipold got his job because WW won with defense -- they were ranked #1 in their division last year. It's a bit optimistic to think that that will translate to instant on-field success, but all we need is BUFF to at least be similar in strength as to what they were last year (on both sides of the ball), and the same goes for PSU -- which they certainly showed last week. Like Arizona, PSU's defense suffered when they lost a top linebacker to injury, and they actually lost two. Wooten is now probable, and Bell is "?".

PSU is a team not built for 4th quarter scoring, for either themselves or their opponents. I'm going to bank on that even against a less predictable MAC team here.

Adding for 1/2 Unit Each: EMU +14 @ Wyoming & Over 52

EMU was outplaying Old Dominion as a home dog last week until QB Reginald Bell III took a shot to the chops and was knocked from the game. His replacement couldn't close with the lead and EMU's woes continued into a new season. QB Bell is still listed as "?". I'm comfortable with the plays if he ends up missing, and think them even more valuable if he plays (and plays up to his abilities). The Old Dominion team of last year was definitely an over type team. Their passing game with a new QB was a definite step down from last year's production against EMU, but the running game made up for it. I think the lesson there is that EMU's defense is as soft as a herd (pack, flock, kill?) of emus up front, but that they might have some players in the secondary.

Wyoming didn't look very strong up front in their opening loss to FCS North Dakota last week. They allowed ND's top rusher to go 24 for 148 with a long of 52. EMU's top rusher went 19 for 117 with a long of 32 last week. On the flip side, Wyoming was mostly passing the ball trailing, as their run game never got off the ground at any point, going just 19 for 29 yards (with 3 sacks of their QB for 17 yards hurting those numbers). That's bad, that's getting dominated up front by an FCS school. Granted, ND did have the 2nd best FCS run defense last year, but they were just 41st overall in total defense. In the passing game, WYO completed just a hair over 50% of it's passes, and the yards per pass average would be pretty anemic if not for a 92 yard score which brought them up to near average. Wyoming's offense was dictated to by an FCS school, I can't help but keep bringing that up, lol.

For this game, I'd imagine Wyoming will come out angry at home after a week of abuse for their last game. The run game will find it much easier to get going which means new QB Coffman shouldn't be under constant pressure again. EMU, with or without QB Bell, should just enough success on the ground to also take some pressure off their QB. Wyoming's run defense was downright horrible in the final 3/4 of the season last year, and is not off to a promising start. If Bell plays I like EMU to keep it really close, and without him I think they still cover. Wyoming, with a game under it's belt versus a decent defense, will hopefully regain some of the form that saw them exploit the weaker defenses they played last year. With two near bottom ten defenses I like this one to go Over a lower than average total, but that comes with a buyer beware warning that the market really, really thinks Bell is EMU's only solution at offense, as the early $ came in strong on both WYO and the Under in spite of WYO's performance last week.

Wyoming has become one of the worst recruiting schools in the FBS (have you been to mid-eastern Wyoming? Not a shocker, lol). On last year's stats alone Wyoming doesn't have much of an advantage in this game, and I don't think the first week's games show anything to shake those numbers up too much. I'm hoping Saturday in Laramie doesn't turn into Hell without Bell.

Adding for 1/2 Unit Each: EMU +14 @ Wyoming & Over 52

EMU was outplaying Old Dominion as a home dog last week until QB Reginald Bell III took a shot to the chops and was knocked from the game. His replacement couldn't close with the lead and EMU's woes continued into a new season. QB Bell is still listed as "?". I'm comfortable with the plays if he ends up missing, and think them even more valuable if he plays (and plays up to his abilities). The Old Dominion team of last year was definitely an over type team. Their passing game with a new QB was a definite step down from last year's production against EMU, but the running game made up for it. I think the lesson there is that EMU's defense is as soft as a herd (pack, flock, kill?) of emus up front, but that they might have some players in the secondary.

Wyoming didn't look very strong up front in their opening loss to FCS North Dakota last week. They allowed ND's top rusher to go 24 for 148 with a long of 52. EMU's top rusher went 19 for 117 with a long of 32 last week. On the flip side, Wyoming was mostly passing the ball trailing, as their run game never got off the ground at any point, going just 19 for 29 yards (with 3 sacks of their QB for 17 yards hurting those numbers). That's bad, that's getting dominated up front by an FCS school. Granted, ND did have the 2nd best FCS run defense last year, but they were just 41st overall in total defense. In the passing game, WYO completed just a hair over 50% of it's passes, and the yards per pass average would be pretty anemic if not for a 92 yard score which brought them up to near average. Wyoming's offense was dictated to by an FCS school, I can't help but keep bringing that up, lol.

For this game, I'd imagine Wyoming will come out angry at home after a week of abuse for their last game. The run game will find it much easier to get going which means new QB Coffman shouldn't be under constant pressure again. EMU, with or without QB Bell, should just enough success on the ground to also take some pressure off their QB. Wyoming's run defense was downright horrible in the final 3/4 of the season last year, and is not off to a promising start. If Bell plays I like EMU to keep it really close, and without him I think they still cover. Wyoming, with a game under it's belt versus a decent defense, will hopefully regain some of the form that saw them exploit the weaker defenses they played last year. With two near bottom ten defenses I like this one to go Over a lower than average total, but that comes with a buyer beware warning that the market really, really thinks Bell is EMU's only solution at offense, as the early $ came in strong on both WYO and the Under in spite of WYO's performance last week.

Wyoming has become one of the worst recruiting schools in the FBS (have you been to mid-eastern Wyoming? Not a shocker, lol). On last year's stats alone Wyoming doesn't have much of an advantage in this game, and I don't think the first week's games show anything to shake those numbers up too much. I'm hoping Saturday in Laramie doesn't turn into Hell without Bell.

I agree that fading Wyoming makes sense here, but I could only do it with this EMU team if Bell is cleared to play. They are just woefully short on difference makers on the offense without his athleticism keeping defenses on their toes. Regardless, good luck this weekend bud

Similar thoughts on the Army total (and team for that matter) and the EMU game. Best of luck this week.

Final update of lines and values for week #2. 2-1 on the early sides so far, but only bet one of them...can you guess which one? lol.

Median gain of a 1/2 point against the market on all sides and totals.

aNUnW9v.png

wugPM0x.png

If you're gonna drop a line begging, I just can't say no to...

Adding for 1/2 Unit: KSU -14 @ UTSA

Bad news, looks like EMU QB Bell is expected to miss.

Adding for 1/2 Unit: BGSU +0.5 @ MD 2nd half

Bowling Green passing game working in spite of only 6 points scored. Start 2nd half with the ball. I generally don't like taking 2nd half dogs on the road, but meh.

Thx, Hound!

Good start on the morning games going 8-3-1 with a whiff on one middle.

Adding for 1/2 Unit: UVA +7 2nd half vs ND

ND can't find any passing rhythm, but running the ball very well. It's the opposite for UVA.

I've got the Over 54.5 in the TULN @ GT game working, with a 28-7 GT lead at half, which sets up for a nice middle play, as I like the 2nd half to now go Under. Tulane a little bit of success passing the ball, but not running. GT running steadily, but haven't broken anything of 15+ yards. Both teams playing at a not so quick pace, which will probably continue in the second half. Look for Tulane to be able to sustain TD drives, while GT chews clock.

Adding for 1/2 Unit: Tulane @ Georgia Tech Under 27 2nd half

Adding for 1/2 Unit: FRES @ MISS Over 28 2nd half

Fresno QB has completed 10-11 and they're having a little success on ground as well. Ole Miss absolutely smashing them on offense with Over 400 yards and 35 points. They should score in spite of themselves in the second half with a big lead, because Fresno can't stop anything. I generally don't like 2nd half Overs, but Ole Miss probably won't let off the gas until they're up two more touchdowns. I'm hoping FRES doesn't get shut out in the 2nd half -- it's the kind of thing that happens to these teams sometimes on the road.

Adding for 1/2 Unit: OSU -17.5 2nd half vs HAW (-115)

The Buckeyes are messing around with JT Barrett getting reps and throws and that shit is just, not, working out. Let Cardale play most of the second half, please. Max Wittek 3-16 in the first half.

Adding for 1/2 Unit: Rice +14.5 @ Texas

Throw out the numbers on this one -- Texas is looking downright pathetic in light of Notre Dame struggling at Virginia right now.

Hey Captain Cruncher, what are your top late plays for tonight if you don't mind me asking?

Adding for 1 Unit: Tulsa +3 2nd half (-115)

Tulsa running the ball almost as well as New Mexico, plus their passing game is picking up big chunks with each completion, and they start the 2nd half with the ball.

Getting off the Rice +14.5 with Texas -7 2nd half for a 1/2 unit. Small chance for the baby middle. Texas starts the 2nd half with the ball, and is moving the ball well. They only ran half as many plays on offense as Rice did in that first half.

Adding for 1/2 Unit: Indiana -6 2nd half vs FIU (EV)

Indiana actually playing much better in spite of trailing by 1 at the half. FIU hanging close because of one 75 yard touchdown pass. Indiana offense having success both running and passing (though unfortunately they've only turned that into 13 points, not great for my Over 52.5).

Crap, was really liking Under 24.5 2nd half TEM-CIN but didn't get back in time to get on it. I liked Idaho-USC Over 27.5 2nd half and missed that too. I see it 21-7 minimum USC second half.

That Oklahoma- Tennessee game after being so low scoring ended up just one Volunteer touchdown away from hitting my Over 61, lol. At least Oklahoma came back and got the win, what a game.

Ha, and Temple returns the 2nd half kickoff for a touchdown. Insta-glad I missed that play by seconds (pending the rest of the 2nd half).

...and then Cincy scores less than a minute later, lol.

Idaho did get that semi-early second half touchdown, though...

Week 3 lines are up at BOL, but I'm in the middle of a spreadsheet update and not completely ready for the openers. I looked at the new lines against my pre update numbers, and there's nothing I really love, honestly. I hope to be ready to hit the totals when they open.

Back