The Raiders are after DeAngelo Hall

try to get them to focus on beating Denver and KC first.. then we'll talk.
biggrin.gif

I'm not calling him top-flite just yet... I did make it clear that what he's shown so far looks promising...

I think one of the reasons he lasted down to our pick was because there was not a need for safeties in other teams like there was in ours... I mean, let's face it, if the Giants would've had the 17th or 18th overall pick, we probably would have picked him anyway...

you cannot knock on a guy that was picked as the best at his position.. he may have been picked last in the first round, but he was still considered the best safety on the board...

I think the Giants system will make him good... if he were on a weak team, then I could say there could be problems for him, but he should fit nicely with the pressure our front four causes on other quarterbacks... that's also a reason I think you should not see Gibril as a high and mighty savior for your team just yet either... without a great pass rush defense up front, it'll be interesting to see how all these stud secondary players do for you guys...

Don't get me wrong, I think Gibril is a great player as I said before, and I think he is pro bowl candidate potential... but you gotta remember he is coming from a team that lead the league in sacks... that helps. And I think that kind of pass rush production is what Kenny needs to bring the best out of him as well..

like I said.. should be a win-win situation for both of us... we'll see.

phillips1.gif

I understand your opinion but don't think you understand that in the Radiers D Gibril will be an extra LB playing "in the box" 80% of the time...that is what makes the Raider's safeties so important.

We need both a mean-ass tackler (Gibril) and a smooth play-making INT machine (Huff?) for our D to function @ 100%.
So our passrush will not affect Gibril's play...he'll very rarely be asked to cover anyone deep...:cheers:

Time will tell...but the TALENT on Da Raiders roster is HUGELY SUPERIOR to what it was this time last season...:shake:

And Phillips (for all his talent) was a HUGE disappointment last year @ UM.

Coincidentially, a great read on an AMAZING college baller (in the Nation's toughest conference):
http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/2008/06/06/mcfadden-is-all-good-so-far/

Mully :cheers:

Keeping It Real...Real Raider Like...Party Never Stopped After He Retires!~
Former Raider great Stabler arrested on DUI charge

ROBERTSDALE, Ala. (AP) - Former NFL star quarterback Ken Stabler was arrested and charged with reckless driving and driving under the influence of alcohol.

Stabler, now a radio analyst for University of Alabama football, was released from jail on $1,000 bond nearly 13 hours after his arrest, police said Monday.

The 62-year-old ex-Crimson Tide quarterback was pulled over for a traffic offense about 12:30 a.m. Sunday, said Brian Middleton, assistant chief of police. He declined to specify what led police to pull Stabler over in the town near the Gulf coast.

Stabler did not immediately return a message left at his office Monday.
Athletic director Mal Moore said it "would be disrespectful and irresponsible" to comment on the allegations against Stabler until the facts are all known.

"Kenny has always been supportive of Alabama athletics, and it's in times like these that his friends need to be supportive of him," Moore said.
Steve Gowan, senior vice president of Learfield Communications, which owns multimedia rights for Alabama broadcasts, also said it was too early to comment on Stabler's situation.

"Our thoughts are with Kenny and his family at this time," Gowan said. "In circumstances of this nature, our primary concern is for Kenny's well-being."
Stabler pleaded guilty to drunken driving following a 2001 arrest in Orange Beach. Authorities dropped drug and reckless driving charges under a plea deal.

In 1995, Stabler pleaded no contest to a DUI charge in nearby Escambia County, Fla.
Stabler led the Oakland Raiders to a Super Bowl title in 1977, and also played for the Houston Oilers and New Orleans Saints during a 15-year NFL career.

He was on Alabama teams that won two Southeastern Conference titles, a national championships in 1965 and went undefeated in 1966. He has been the Tide's color analyst the past decade.

<LI id=mycarousel-item-1>

Boys are back in town

doc4888196e32f6a510839043.jpg
Oakland Raiders’ first-round draft pick Darren McFadden joins teammates arriving for the opening of training camp Wednesday at the Napa Valley Marriott. Practice sessions will begin at the training facility today. Jorgen Gulliksen/Register | Buy photos

<LI id=mycarousel-item-2>
doc4888196e32f6a5108390431.jpg
New Raiders defensive back DeAngelo Hall met the media on Wednesday after checking into the Napa Valley Marriott for training camp that begins today. Jorgen Gulliksen/Register | Buy photos

doc4888196e32f6a5108390432.jpg
Oakland Raiders linebacker Thomas Howard multi-tasks with his cell phone, luggage and room key after checking in ahead of training camp at the Napa Valley Marriott. Jorgen Gulliksen/Register | Buy photos

http://www.napavalleyregister.com/pages/raiders/

Derrick Burgess and DeAngelo Hall agreed on one thing when they arrived Wednesday for Oakland Raiders training camp at the Napa Valley Marriott.

They both noticed that the afternoon weather, although in the high 80s, didn’t have nearly the kind of humidity as other parts of the country.
“It’s a little cooler,” said Burgess, a defensive end, after getting out of his car and gathering his luggage and gear. “I just left Mississippi and it’s like 110 down there. This feels a lot better.”

After checking in, Hall, a two-time Pro Bowl cornerback who was acquired via trade with the Atlanta Falcons in March, said: “This doesn’t have the humidity here.”
Hall is a major addition to the Raiders, who begin their 3 1/2-week camp with a two-hour practice starting at 3 p.m. today at Redwood Middle School. Hall has played in 57 league games with 55 starts since originally entering the NFL as a first round draft choice by Atlanta in 2004. He is coming off a season in which he led the Falcons in both interceptions (five) and passes defensed (16) while leading all Atlanta cornerbacks in tackles with 71.

While Wednesday was check-in day, the team will get to work today, first with meetings and then their on-field work. Head coach Lane Kiffin is scheduled to meet at noon today with the media.
“We’re here for work,” said fullback Justin Griffith, a sixth-year player. “Hopefully this year we’re working toward making our season a whole lot better than last year. We’re going to take it one practice at a time and get better.

“The guys here are focused and we know what we need to do to get better. Improvements will be made. This is where it starts. You’ve got to get out there showing your talents to the coaches.”

Kiffin and his staff will lead the Raiders through daily drills; the first two-a-day, with practices from 9-11 a.m. and 7-9 p.m., is Friday. It’s the second straight year in which the team has held evening practices.

“This is our second year together with Lane and we’ve got all our coaches back and when we get out there, there’s not a whole lot of stuff we have to add to our offense and the defense,” said Griffith. “I think now it’s going out there and rehearsing things and getting ourselves ready for preseason and then hopefully the season.

“I believe this team is ahead of the game from last year, I really do. The stuff that we need to improve on, we will.”

It’s not known how soon Kiffin will have his players in full pads, but Burgess is ready.

“I just want to get better and hopefully we get better,” the eighth-year player said. “It gives me the same focus every year, to come in and do my thing and get better.”

The running game and play of the offensive line were improved, but Oakland still had its fifth straight double-digit loss season in 2007.

“We all want to get to playoffs and get a chance to do something really special,” said Tom Cable, Oakland’s offensive line coach. “That starts with winning football games.

“I’m looking forward to a great camp. Hopefully we get done what we need to get done. It’s football season — that makes life good for me. It doesn’t get here soon enough for me.”

49ers set joint practice

The San Francisco 49ers will travel to Napa to practice against the Raiders during training camp. The date and time is still to be announced.

“We have an agreement with the 49ers to practice against them here in Napa on our fields,” Raiders senior executive John Herrera said Wednesday. It hasn’t been determined how many joint practices the two teams will have, but it won’t be a scrimmage, Niners coach Mike Nolan said on a conference call.

“My guess is that it will be a good day for us because it will break up the sessions where we’re just practicing against each other every day,” said Herrera. “It will give everybody a little bit of a lift.”

Joint practices in camp are fairly common around the NFL, as long as teams are in close proximity. The Raiders have had practices on the road against Dallas and Houston in recent years, but this marks the first time that another team will be in Napa.

Raiders practices are closed, but it’s by invitation that groups attend camp.

Raiders sign draft picks

The Raiders Wednesday announced the signing of wide receiver Arman Shields, their fourth round selection in the 2008 NFL Draft, and Trevor Scott, a defensive end who was taken in the sixth round.

International presence

The Raiders will once again have an international player in training camp as defensive tackle Mauricio Lopez will spend the entire 2008 season with the Silver and Black as part of the NFL International Practice Squad Program. Lopez, a Mexico City native, was in training camp with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2007 and is one of 16 of the best international football players from around the world who will have an opportunity to play a role in the NFL this season as part of the program.

The 6-foot-1, 325-pound Lopez spent the past three seasons playing in NFL Europa. In 2007, he recorded nine tackles and one sack for the Cologne Centurions. He had three tackles for Cologne in 2006, and appeared in one game with the Amsterdam Admirals in 2005. Lopez also played three seasons for the Mexican National Team and was a key member on the defensive line for Monterrey Tech in Monterrey, Mexico where he helped the school win the 2000 and 2003 Borregos Championships.

Multi-cultural initiatives

As part of their ongoing multi-cultural initiatives, the Raiders will once again conduct an international guest coach program during training camp. A total of five coaches from three different countries (Mexico, Austria and Switzerland) will participate. Details and participants will be announced soon, the team said.

Training Camp Pics
<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Walker's face looks in good shape.

capt99a025297970414eadf5f4b1350c5b9.jpg

capt51c2d9e1eb9b43eaaa73d7ece1c68e1.jpg

capt41e622ff194542d2b0350a8b08c53d7.jpg

capt68262ffedb9543a091a64967e96d98b.jpg

capta7e60a2edbe34f5a90a7ac9c9d606d8.jpg

captcedcb80f6892428c940c12868b20ceb.jpg

captb91ea856fec74b50895e1a942623c35.jpg

captfc73b0212f124f19b0bf7ccbd111eac.jpg

Russell.jpg

captd35f0472e661477cbb4ebd36ea9fbae.jpg

RAIDER NATION BABY!!!! Let's do it this year.

I'm not as optomistic as you tho throwback. I think realistically, we're a 8-8 team at best. If Russell turns out though, we can be a playoff team in the next few years.

D-Mac offensive rookie of the year!!!!!!

<DL class=wide-photo><DT>
nfl_u_mcfadden_580.jpg
<DD>Kirby Lee/US Presswire
Raiders rookie RB Darren McFadden has impressed many onlookers, including John Clayton.

</DD></DL>
<!-- end wide photo -->Darren McFadden was widely regarded as the best athlete in the 2008 draft.

After watching him dart around the Raiders' practice field in Napa, Calif., Tuesday, I have no doubt the scouting report is true. McFadden is the real deal. He catches the ball on screens and passes in the flat better than anticipated. His ability to make inside zone runs is electrifying. On a Raiders team that has some pretty good athletes, McFadden is clearly the star.

At minicamp, Raiders coaches said they had modest expectations for McFadden as a rookie. They planned to make Justin Fargas the workhorse back. Things have changed. Fargas is still the starter, but McFadden is too talented to bring along slowly. He's a treasure.

<DL class=wide-photo><DT>
nfl_u_mcfadden_580.jpg
<DD>Kirby Lee/US Presswire
Raiders rookie RB Darren McFadden has impressed many onlookers, including John Clayton.

</DD></DL>
<!-- end wide photo -->Darren McFadden was widely regarded as the best athlete in the 2008 draft.

After watching him dart around the Raiders' practice field in Napa, Calif., Tuesday, I have no doubt the scouting report is true. McFadden is the real deal. He catches the ball on screens and passes in the flat better than anticipated. His ability to make inside zone runs is electrifying. On a Raiders team that has some pretty good athletes, McFadden is clearly the star.

At minicamp, Raiders coaches said they had modest expectations for McFadden as a rookie. They planned to make Justin Fargas the workhorse back. Things have changed. Fargas is still the starter, but McFadden is too talented to bring along slowly. He's a treasure.

:smiley_acbe::smiley_acbe::smiley_acbe:

Our population is rising almost as fast as expectations for this team in the coming years !!!

RAIDAS BABY !

Raider Nation
Vapster (Vap'sBack)
jh3224

vegaskyle
throwback 420
cogenman
mcdrewcarey
Capt. Slap
Raidertom

Nice to get some info on the Raiders. Excited to see them tonight against the Titans. I must admit, I do not understand why we spent all of this money on Walker, Kelly and Hall and then not sign Ashi to a long term deal. We do not want him leaving anytime soon, he is obvioulsy one of the few shut down corners in the league. This is the first year that I have had some decent expectations since Gannon and the boys were done. Desperately hope we start the year with wins vs. Denver and at K.C, both of which are winnable games.

Here is to a great year!

<!-- / message -->

Raider Nation
Vapster (Vap'sBack)
jh3224
vegaskyle
throwback 420
cogenman
mcdrewcarey
Capt. Slap
Raidertom

Nice to get some info on the Raiders. Excited to see them tonight against the Titans. I must admit, I do not understand why we spent all of this money on Walker, Kelly and Hall and then not sign Ashi to a long term deal. We do not want him leaving anytime soon, he is obvioulsy one of the few shut down corners in the league. This is the first year that I have had some decent expectations since Gannon and the boys were done. Desperately hope we start the year with wins vs. Denver and at K.C, both of which are winnable games.

Here is to a great year!

<!-- / message -->

yeah Javon is lookin like a huge bust so far from what I heard, but he's coming off his 2-3 best days off training camp still lacks some explosion but hopefully those good practices translate to the game 2niite.

Also for those of you that dont know the Raiders 2 starting CB's (aso,Hall) are banged up and might not play much 2nite.

Also LT Harris is banged up so 2nd year player Mario Henderson might start and he has been garbage in camp

still like Raiders pts and ML got +5 to finish a parlay may add more on +4

but 2nite will be a big test :shake:

yeah Javon is lookin like a huge bust so far from what I heard, but he's coming off his 2-3 best days off training camp still lacks some explosion but hopefully those good practices translate to the game 2niite.

Also for those of you that dont know the Raiders 2 starting CB's (aso,Hall) are banged up and might not play much 2nite.

Also LT Harris is banged up so 2nd year player Mario Henderson might start and he has been garbage in camp

still like Raiders pts and ML got +5 to finish a parlay may add more on +4

but 2nite will be a big test :shake:

Walker is now "on board" from everything I've read and will lead the WR core this season...Mfer better for what we're paying him...:cheers:

Raider Nation
Vapster (Vap'sBack)
jh3224
vegaskyle
throwback 420
cogenman
mcdrewcarey
Capt. Slap
Raidertom

Here is to a great year!

<!-- / message -->

Aso will be tagged again if we can't sign him to a longterm deal...Mr. Davis LOVES his CBs...:shake:

Speaking of Aso...how about some mad props to Mr. Davis for selecting Aso in the bottom of the 1st round (too early in the opinions of many "draft gurus")...:cheers:

That MFer is a TRUE SHUTDOWN CORNER and with a "playmaker" at the other corner, the BEST TACKLING SS in the game & Huff "free to roam"...our D-Sec is 2ND TO NONE, baby.

Carter, O’Neal done for season in Oakland

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP)—Lane Kiffin had concerns about depth on the Oakland Raiders even before two key offensive players went down with season-ending knee injuries.

Those worries have only been heightened now that receiver Drew Carter and fullback Oren O’Neal went down with injuries early in Saturday night’s 24-0 loss to Arizona.

“Obviously, both were really down, especially Drew,” Kiffin said in a conference call Sunday. “He’s had so many things like this happen to him. I believe this might be his fourth ACL maybe in his career. He’s had a lot of tough breaks injury-wise so he was on a one-year contract so this was very tough for him.”

It also was a tough break for the Raiders, who were counting on Carter to perform after signing him to a $2 million contract in the offseason. He set career highs last season with 38 catches for 517 yards and four touchdowns for Carolina last season and was one of only three experienced receivers on Oakland’s roster.

Now the Raiders will need to look for a veteran to complement Javon Walker and Ronald Curry. Kiffin said they could go after an out-of-work veteran or wait until other teams make their cuts this week to find someone to replace Carter. Two possible options are Joe Horn, released last week by Atlanta, and Koren Robinson, who remains unsigned.

The Raiders will need to do something because their entire backup group at wide receiver has just seven career catches. Johnnie Lee Higgins had six receptions as a rookie, and Chris McFoy has one career catch.

“There’s not a lot of history there as far as guys playing in the league besides Javon and Ronald,” Kiffin said. “Really, none of those guys have really played before. So it would be tough to only go with two guys who have played before.”

Curry led the Raiders with 55 receptions for 717 yards last season, but had only 11 catches in the final five games last season. Curry has 174 career receptions for 2,166 yards and 11 touchdowns.

Walker has 252 career catches for 3,815 yards and 30 scores, but is coming off a 26-catch season when he was slowed by a knee injury.
“I’ve been in this position before when I was in Denver and Jay Cutler was in his first year starting, and I was the only receiver and Brandon Marshall came along,” Walker said. “So, it’s nothing new for me. I just know what I do and I know what I can go out and bring. So, I’m just going to do that, execute and make plays.”

The injury could open the door for both Todd Watkins and rookie Chaz Schilens to make the roster. Watkins has been the most consistent receiver in practice and has five catches in the first three preseason games.

Schilens, a seventh-round pick out of San Diego State, has shown some flashes and has three catches so far.

The Raiders are also thin at fullback, where O’Neal was expected to team with Justin Griffith this season. O’Neal showed the ability to be a strong blocker in the running game last year as a rookie, often being used for long stretches when Oakland relied heavily on the ground game.

Now the only other fullback on the roster is Marcel Reece, an undrafted free agent who played receiver last year in college at Washington.

“That’s a big deal right there,” Kiffin said. “There are a number of games last year he played even more for us than Justin. He’s a guy when we run the ball he is in there play after play, a physical attitude.”
<hr>

Back