The next coach of LSU will be... ?

1- Pellini is taking the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:State w:st=
Nebraska</ST1:p</st1:State> job. It was done in the last 2 days.

2- Something happened this weekend at LSU. Miles stepped up efforts for
the M<st1:State w:st="on">ichigan</st1:State> job and has people rallying others for support. The feeling is
mutual with a few big time donors and Skip (LSU's AD). Both parties are wanting to go seperate ways. LSU knows it cannot fire him so they hope he takes the job. It is a mutual feeling of hope for seperation. BTW, Bertman didn't know about the Pellini interview and blew a gasket internally. It was ugly. (Bertman is a fool who will resign in 2008. LSU's current chancellor, Lombardi, is the guy responsible for bringing in Foley, Florida's AD, who in turn brought in Billy D and Urban Meyers... if I remember correctly).

3- Spurrier was not interested in the LSU job. Now, that can change and change quickly. But right now, Spurrier is not interested no matter what you read.

4- Brace yourself and do not shoot the messenger. There are 3 big time
donors at LSU and some BOS who want 1 person back at LSU. I have said it and said it. Here is the deal, 3 million per year for 10 years with a 10
million+ buyout. For a man that doesn't do buyouts, that is huge. They
verified the wife wanted her house back and they verified the powers
that be feel a shock will be felt but a few wins will replace the shock. I
will not type his name because some may throw their computer.

5- Tommy Tubberville wants the <ST1:p<st1:State w:st="on">Arkansas</st1:State></ST1:p job. He secretly put feelers out
to return to Ole Miss. I kid you not. He wants out of <ST1:p<st1:City w:st="on">Auburn </st1:City>bad. There is
a secret deal at <ST1:p<st1:City w:st="on">Auburn</st1:City></ST1:p between Bobby Lowder and Bobby Petrino, and
Tubberville will not have to pay the buyout if he leaves. The question
is does <st1:State w:st="on">Arkansas</st1:State> want him. He wants the LSU job but doesn't think he can
get it.

6- Back to Miles. I saved the best for last. If <st1:State w:st="on">Michigan</st1:State> does not have a
coach by Friday, Les Miles will be named their new HC next week. Ferentz
is in the picture but it is to help leverage a better long term deal and facility upgrade at <st1:State w:st="on">Iowa</st1:State>. There are some people at <st1:State w:st="on">Michigan</st1:State> who are old
friends helping him get more out of <st1:State w:st="on">Iowa</st1:State>. It appears Miles will be the
man at <st1:State w:st="on">Michigan</st1:State> and Bertman is aware of Mac and Miles stepping up efforts for the job but again, the feelings are mutual.

One guy I trust in the LSU media and can contact personally is Jimmy Ott. His statement : Done deal, Miles to Michigan for approx. $3M a year. Rich Rodriguez at the top of the list for Miles' replacement.

The thing I wonder is, will Morgantown allow Rodriguez to leave after he wins a nat'l title this year? WV plays Ohio St in the NC game because Mizzou will lose a second time to OU and the Mountaineers prevail.

Richy Rod huh, that is interesting and scary at the same time. I don't want him coming to the SEC and running that offense with supercharged athletes LSU got.

Jimmy Ott says the list is:

1. Rich Rodriguez
2. Spurier (although he wants to stay in SC, we know how quickly things can change)
3. Del Rio

skummy, good point. screw slaton/white, could you imagine rodriguez with perrilloux (barring arrest) and LSU 5 RBs?!?! Me likey

I am very impressed with Perrilloux and thought he should of played more, or maybe just any running QB looks good when they play South Carolina. 9rushes -80yds and he looked good running it and he has an arm and a half

BC - Go head and get SOS off that list!

At this point don't you pretty much have to bet against LSU in their bowl game?

This team has to be a mess and they're in a total state of transition. They were supposed to play USC for it all, but now they're going to be in some 3rd tier bowl and their coach has both feet out the door.

Oh, and for the record, if Saban did jump from Alabama to LSU I think that jackass would be right to fear for his safety.

I'm not actually sure how he could play a road game in Alabama if he did something like that right now.

I want Saban to do it just so I can see the backlash and crazyness of these Bama fans

OTH, Then Spurrier to Bama internet talk will begin again.

... to fear for his safety

Going off of this point, Joe, I was just thinking...

Saban/Bama travels to Baton Rouge next year.
Nutt/Ole Miss travel to Fayetteville next year.
And if Tuberville would have gone to Arkansas, Arkansas travels to Auburn next year.

Ex-coaches beware!!!

thank fucking god Ferentz isn't going to Michigan...looks like Miles is close to a done deal...mcguffie willl re open his recruitment as well and prolly go to TAMU..oh well, I'd rather have Miles. people who aren't Michigan fans don't understand why we want him...we need new blood, passion, and fire...and a new offense..I'm excited if he comes here, if he doesn't I still think he is a ballsy coach and LSU will be good for many years.

thank fucking god Ferentz isn't going to Michigan...looks like Miles is close to a done deal...mcguffie willl re open his recruitment as well and prolly go to TAMU..oh well, I'd rather have Miles. people who aren't Michigan fans don't understand why we want him...we need new blood, passion, and fire...and a new offense..I'm excited if he comes here, if he doesn't I still think he is a ballsy coach and LSU will be good for many years.

thats my biggest thing..woulda been a clone

Dude, I can't emphasize this enough. You do not want Les Miles. I repeat, YOU DO NOT WANT LES MILES. You will be knee deep in violations before you ever see a national title. Miles is too fucking dumb to get a team over the hump. Yeah UM will probably be good but thats merely gonna be on talent alone. It takes more than that to win titles these days.

Miles is SO overrated... Give him 3 years Michigan will be fightin to play a bowl game... Also NO chance in hell to beat tOSU (which is nothing new)...If you've watched LSU this year (i know that's dumb) his in-game coaching is some of the worst I've ever seen PERIOD...Plus I believe most of this talent was there when he arrived...And no I'm not a Michigan hater at all just think Miles isn't the man for the job...

maybe not, but im all for a change...he went 32-6, I mean I think that's pretty damn good...yes, he makes dumb decisions at times, but he plays to win, and UM needs someone like that. Lloyd Carr put everyone to sleep.

I have to agree, not with the violation stuff, but I think Les is postage stamp stupid. Houston Nutt stupid.

The sweater vest is going to coach rings around that guy, talent will be Big Blue's only hope.

November 28, 2007
LOUISIANA RED HERRING
<HR color=#000066 SIZE=1>Great coaches win at about a 75% clip, particularly when viewed over a long career:
Les%203.JPG

• Bryant - 78.2%
          Paterno - 74.8%
          Bowden - 76.2%
Over shorter stretches, great coaches can exceed an 80% winning percentage:
Stoops - 81.9%
Carroll - 84.4%
Switzer - 83.7%
Back when Lloyd Carr was on the hot seat, defenders were quick to point out that the retiring Michigan coach has a 75.2% career winning percentage, seventh among active coaches and right up there with the all time greats. Is it reasonable, then, to ever fault a coach who is winning at an 84.2% pace, albeit over a three-year stretch? Most definitely, argue Les Miles's detractors, many who are still bloodspattered from defending Lloyd’s 75.2% winning percentage like the pass at Thermopylae.
To resolve this paradox, those who dislike Les Miles’s coaching accomplishments at LSU make the obvious point: will you look at all the talent he has at LSU! They are quite comfortable, then, establishing a new standard: a great coach may win at a 75% pace, but if a coach has a lot of talent, 75% is failure, not success. A higher standard, say 85%, is required if you are loaded with blue chippers (no one has defined this, but those making the argument have already declared Les's 84.2% at LSU inadequate, so it must be at least this). Call this the “Carroll Standard,” after Pete Carroll’s sick 94.6% winning percentage and two national championships from 2003 to 2005, because clearly USC had ridiculous talent those years, and Pete was simply doing what should have been done.
Let's set aside the thorny problem of how we determine when great coaches have benefited from a glut of talent (say Lloyd in 97) and when they brilliantly overcame marginal talent, and grant the premise: Les Miles's winning 84.2% of his games these last three years is a substandard coaching effort because many coaches with that amount of incredible talent would have done better. In layman's terms, all Les did was mess up a sure thing.
Well, these people sure have high standards. Clearly, no other coach they put forward to replace Carr (Brian Kelly is a favorite, maybe Jeff Tedford) has to live up to that 85% winning percentage, but this is because they don’t have obscene talent at their disposal. If Les had crappy players and went 32 and 6, well then! Send the chartered jet!
Their argument breaks down if LSU’s talent does not trigger the Carroll Standard. So let’s take a look:
Les.JPG

(data here)​
Oh my. Where is the insane talent down in Baton Rouge? In case those reading this rejection of conventional wisdom need more detail, looking at the starting line-ups for Michigan and LSU:
Les%202.JPG
The Rivals rating proves to be a very appropriate measure for our purposes here. Detractors of Les Miles argue that he is winning with Nick Saban’s talent. He has proven he can recruit (another qualification for the Michigan job), so examining the incoming rating of current starters (many who were Saban's) will reveal a trend: if these numbers had been high, then the two losses each year prove that Miles is not meeting the Carroll Standard. If the numbers are lower than other SEC competitors, then the current players are outperforming their initial rating, suggesting that Les Miles is getting more out of his players than expected…a curious additional qualification for the Michigan job (Michigan being a place, as demonstrated by the data here, where players come in more highly rated and underachieve).
So why do so many think that LSU is loaded with extraordinary talent and not Michigan? Development?
Should Lloyd be held to the Carroll Standard?
The Miles-LSU Talent Glut argument is debunked. In fact, the analysis suggests the opposite: if one wants to claim that the best talent in the SEC is down in Baton Rouge, then Miles and his staff made them that way.

Miles to Michigan!

Word from the players on campus tonight is that Miles broke the news to the team tonight; he will be coaching the Wolverines next season.

... and Tuberville to Arkansas

Last edited:
OK..I am a retired coach of 34 years..28 in college...Here is what I know..Saban is interested and very unhappy at his agent..He feels like he(his agent) should have seen this coming and Saban would have delayed his return to college for 1 year..He would rather be at LSU..BUT..No deals done yet..It really could happen..Much more news but I will keep it to myself.. I will say Tubby would like to leave Auburn but Texas A&M did not offer..He would love the LSU job but will take Arkansas.

I think he came along at a great time in the state of Alabama..The problems at U. Alabama gave him the chance to get players Auburn could not have recruited.Those days are over and he knows it.

so that would make LSU an ideal job with no other major school in the state.

Auburn did the paperwork for Tuberville's extension, but he never signed.

Hunt, I'd say it's fairly reliable when the mods at TD stickied the thread. The admins usually hold off on sticking a thread until they can confirm it, and being around Baton Rouge, it is not hard to speak to one of the players. However, that "sticky" was removed from the thread, so I still consider this to be speculation.

All I can say now with certainty is:

- Spurrier has been contacted regarding the job (not offered).
- Del Rio has always had a part of him that wants to coach LSU, but he has not said anything throughout this ordeal.
- Rich Rodriguez is on the interest list, and he does have contact/familiarity to and with LA from his days at Tulane.
- Pellini is the leading candidate for the Nebraska job.

We shall see how everything unfolds...

I agree with that...BUT... Saban is not happy with the Al. talent level..His quote to another coach was " It is going to take us 3 years to get this place right".

very true. we started former walk ons this year - that should never happen anymore. our #1 running back (before saban re-evaluated the depth chart) was recruited as a linebacker. Shula fucked it up bad. with that said, we do have a senior QB (shitty but still senior) and a great Oline next year. - not to mention, possibly the top recruiting class in the nation (CMERE JULIO JONES)

LSU is the ideal job for anybody with the talent that's there. I guess I wouldn't blame him for going. but it would be insane to give up the biggest contract in college football history after 1 year. he'd be considered a pussy and a failure by everyone but an LSU fan. I'd say he has no balls to go back to a community that has been cursing his name for 2 years. but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, i guess. i'm serious about the hicks going after him, though. at the very least his wife and daughter would get death threats. I can't imagine the security on his new house in BR! haha

Little more news...Saban is now out of the LSU job..He was offered but said no last night at 12:30..yes that did happen...

Back