The New York Jets Quarterback Thread

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Will Zach Wilson take another snap for the Jets? Who takes his place long-term? Rodgers or Brady? Let's keep up with this long-term.

Just wrote this to a buddy, that they were built under the premise of having a starting qb on a rookie contract. They have a bunch of free agents, you spend big $ on a QB and the team looks a lot different next season and maybe not for the better.

Just wrote this to a buddy, that they were built under the premise of having a starting qb on a rookie contract. They have a bunch of free agents, you spend big $ on a QB and the team looks a lot different next season and maybe not for the better.
This is a terrible draft class for QBs to boot, they will have to hope something hits in FA. Reality is that in the current league a QB with at least some mobility is required. Stafford last season is the exception, not the norm and of course he gets wrecked this season, that's going to happen more and more with pocket QBs. Pass rushers are just so quick in the NFL anymore you can't just depend on a statue like in the past.

Mike white is a real conundrum. The team loves him, but is that because he is a good nfl qb or he can just ply the position competently, in which just competence is a massive upgrade from Wilson’s play.
You sign him hoping he isn’t Scott Mitchell

Mike white is a real conundrum. The team loves him, but is that because he is a good nfl qb or he can just ply the position competently, in which just competence is a massive upgrade from Wilson’s play.
Scott Mitchell is exactly the name I think of when I think of the Jets future with White locked in to a long term contract.

Also, they are in draft pick purgatory this year. Not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to pick high.

I really like the GM, he’s done a great job the last 2 drafts (outside of Zach), but he’s on borrowed time. No one survives botching a QB twice. Has to hit big on this decision.

Jimmy G is an affordable, maybe 20-25 million guy who would rally the locker room and stabilize the position. He’s constantly hurt and White would be a fine backup for him. Wilson will succeed at some point in his career but it won’t be with the bland Jets who hired a guy who was nothing more than an offensive assistant to Shanahan to be the coordinator in Lafluer’s little brother.

They had 6 rushing yards at half. 6. And Wilson is a nice young WR but they don’t have much talent outside of that. Roster overrated top to bottom.

I think Shanahan still loves Wilson and would trade Lance for him straight up. Both teams could get away with having those guys sit behind starters White and Purdy until they’re ready.

Also, they are in draft pick purgatory this year. Not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to pick high.

I really like the GM, he’s done a great job the last 2 drafts (outside of Zach), but he’s on borrowed time. No one survives botching a QB twice. Has to hit big on this decision.
If you look up the drafts of the previous GMs of this team Joe Douglas can keep this job as long as he wants it.

Jimmy G is an affordable, maybe 20-25 million guy who would rally the locker room and stabilize the position. He’s constantly hurt and White would be a fine backup for him. Wilson will succeed at some point in his career but it won’t be with the bland Jets who hired a guy who was nothing more than an offensive assistant to Shanahan to be the coordinator in Lafluer’s little brother.

They had 6 rushing yards at half. 6. And Wilson is a nice young WR but they don’t have much talent outside of that. Roster overrated top to bottom.
Jimmy G is absolutely not going to the Jets this offseason or ever.

I think Shanahan still loves Wilson and would trade Lance for him straight up. Both teams could get away with having those guys sit behind starters White and Purdy until they’re ready.
If Brady doesn't go to San Francisco I expect Wilson to go there for a third round pick but the Jets are not taking back Lance.

On the subject of the Jets they will never do anything with Saleh and Lafleur coaching this team. Detroit and now Jacksonville exposed how overrated the defense is since its obvious that 5 yard passes continuously turn into 30 plus yard gains.

This thread would be a lot more genuine if it was started by me and not just initiated to take a shot at me. If I am wrong I am sure we will see new threads pop up about the quarterback situations in Tennessee, New Orleans, Houston, Indianapolis, and Atlanta just to name a few teams with no answers at the position.

Great Scott Mitchell reference...

He's definitely a conundrum. He's not getting the team over the top. I don't think they win last night with him. The play calling was atrocious as is.

I like Mike but watched him struggle to score versus a poor Minnesota defense as well.

This thread would be a lot more genuine if it was started by me and not just initiated to take a shot at me. If I am wrong I am sure we will see new threads pop up about the quarterback situations in Tennessee, New Orleans, Houston, Indianapolis, and Atlanta just to name a few teams with no answers at the position.
I don't think it's to take a shot at all.

We discussed this in detail a lot last night and back to the last few Jets games...

Great Scott Mitchell reference...

He's definitely a conundrum. He's not getting the team over the top. I don't think they win last night with him. The play calling was atrocious as is.

I like Mike but watched him struggle to score versus a poor Minnesota defense as well.
You couldn't be more right about the atrocious play calling which has been an issue all year with Lafleur.

For the record I still believe that Wilson can be salvaged it just will never happen with this organization and coaching staff. San Francisco is the perfect team and coaching staff to develop him but they are such a win now team that they may not feel they can take the chance.

The frustration is understandable.

Wilson is not good. As I said last night though, they put him in bad situations that doesn't help either.

Despite the t.o.p. dominance in the 1h last night, 2 runs after the first drive (also 2 runs) set them/him up for failure immediately.

Wilson literally only hit wide open receivers. His accuracy on longer throws, his decision-making, and his vision (his ability to identify open targets) were awful

Wilson literally only hit wide open receivers. His accuracy on longer throws, his decision-making, and his vision (his ability to identify open targets) were awful
This is probably an overreaction, but I can’t remember him throwing a completion from the pocket when pressured.
Not just from last night, any game.

I predicted this. This is exactly how he played at BYU but he got away with it during that Covid year because they just beat up on garbage teams. He feasted on 50/50 balls that his receivers came down with the majority of the time.

He could be fixed with the right QB guru but he was definitely drafted into one of the worst spots possible. He needed some years as a backup to learn from a good mentor.

Absolutely spot on.

Their gameplan never gave him a chance.

Last night was as brutal as it gets, both directions...

Half the NFL has shitty qbs. It's a pandemic. Jets haven't had one since 1 lucky ass Mark Sanchez year. Might have to go all the way back to Vinny Testaverde.

I am in favor of contraction and offer up the Jets to be eliminated as a franchise.
I'd love relegation but neither will happen for the obvious reason that owners weren't privy to those terms when they bought teams

The guy starting for the Eagles tomorrow and Mike White will be the Jets top 2 QB next year.

Joe Douglas will spend, spend and spend again on the offensive line. He’s got skill guys, he’s got a very good defensive core, he knows you cannot buy a franchise QB, so if you build the team around an average to good QB, then you can make a run.

See Jimmy G in the SB year for Frisco.

It makes no sense to pay 25 mill a year for a blatantly average QB in Jimmy G or Carr if that downgrades your overall depth.

Go with guys with potential and hope they play up to the skill level of their surroundings.

Personally, I think Mike White has upside…can he stay healthy is the question. This team has already shown they want a guy that will have as much toughness as he has skill. They love White and they’d love Gardner…both are very similar…with a very good team around them they can win a playoff game or two, if the cards break right.

I predicted this. This is exactly how he played at BYU but he got away with it during that Covid year because they just beat up on garbage teams. He feasted on 50/50 balls that his receivers came down with the majority of the time.

He could be fixed with the right QB guru but he was definitely drafted into one of the worst spots possible. He needed some years as a backup to learn from a good mentor.
Zach is an all-time bust. He will be a flight attendant in 2 years and out of the league.

Which won’t be a problem since his uncle founded JetBlue.

The guy starting for the Eagles tomorrow and Mike White will be the Jets top 2 QB next year.

Joe Douglas will spend, spend and spend again on the offensive line. He’s got skill guys, he’s got a very good defensive core, he knows you cannot buy a franchise QB, so if you build the team around an average to good QB, then you can make a run.

It makes no sense to pay 25 mill a year for a blatantly average QB in Jimmy G or Carr if that downgrades your overall depth.

Go with guys with potential and hope they play up to the skill level of their surroundings.

Personally, I think Mike White has upside…can he stay healthy is the question. This team has already shown they want a guy that will have as much toughness as he has skill. They love White and they’d love Gardner…both are very similar…with a very good team around them they can win a playoff game or two, if the cards break right.

$20 million is dirt cheap and if Jimmy plays he wins. Top 10 QBR all time. Just think it would be silly to not consider him. But the team may not be good enough for his consideration.

That 9ers team was 20 players deeper than the Jets are now. It’s hardly a model to follow to discount the QB position. Don’t think Jets have 5 players who would start on that 2019 team.

Spek…if he’s so good, why don’t you want to keep him on your team? Serious question.

I would absolutely hope they keep him. Wish they never drafted Lance. If he didn’t get hurt they cruise to the ship and he wins a new contract. With him likely not playing again I just don’t see it unfortunately.

They’re not getting anything for him as a FA and I just think little Lafluer (awful OC) and Rob will want the guy they saw rally locker rooms and win. Media speculating it, too. Seems too obvious to not make happen.

Remember those Zach Wilson tidbits before the draft that he was an arrogant, entitled little bitch? He's lost the locker room, that's the 1 big no no in NFL. I like his skillset but needs to be on the right team...unfortunately for Jets fans he had to learn his lesson as a bust in NY.

It just goes to show what a crapshoot the NFL draft is for a qb. If you're drafting an olineman in the top 10 he's pretty much a guaranteed long term starter for years...qb, not so easy.

It just goes to show what a crapshoot the NFL draft is for a qb. If you're drafting an olineman in the top 10 he's pretty much a guaranteed long term starter for years...qb, not so easy.
Will never fail going back to David Carr being drafted first by an expansion only to get lit up his rookie year

Never had a chance

Situation is everything, that guy goes to a team with a line he coulda been a 10 year pro bowler, instead he developed happy feet

Back