The Mike Tomlin sideline play

Coverdatspred

Curious About George Costanza‘s Modeling Career
This is being blown completely out of proportion. I'm actually kinda shocked that there are people saying he did this on purpose. I've seen all the angles and he would have had o be a combination of really good, really quick and really lucky to be able to get in the way on purpose while only watching the jumbo tron. It is also completely out of character from what we know about the guy.

He he should be fined. He should have been penalized and the ravens should have been given a TD. On purpose? No.

Anyone see see this differently?

Why was he looking up on the crowd/scoreboard instead of the return? He was playing it off like he was paying attention. I mean cmon. He looking for a bathroom?

steelers-coach-prevents-a-touchdown-by-standing-in-the-way-on-a-kickoff-accused-of-cheating.jpg

Why was he looking up on the crowd/scoreboard instead of the return? He was playing it off like he was paying attention. I mean cmon. He looking for a bathroom?

to to get a better perspective on the play. Seems pretty simple to me.

he didn't do it on purpose, alot of coaches watch the jumbotron on kickoffs

fine him and move along

What I didn't like was when he saw jacoby, he actually went into the field of play real quick then tried to get out of his way.

Just fine him and move on. All this talk about taking away draft picks is excessive.

he didn't do it on purpose, alot of coaches watch the jumbotron on kickoffs

fine him and move along

he did do it on purpose. Bleacher report showed a video yesterday showing him looking back during the play and moving over. However, losing a draft pick is ridiculous

I watch it and just see a knee-jerk reaction to get the fuck outta the way but who knows

I'm sure they'll make some kind of example out of him

Of course he did it on purpose. Since when is the jumbo tron a better view than looking 6 feet away? lol

So he made a split second decision that he was going to get in the way of a full speed 6'2 215 lb guy in full pads with his back turned? Simple logic says that if he did it on purpose he'd at least be bracing for impact right? You are gonna do something like that your gonna marked damed sure you don't get hit. Makes zero sense that he puts himself right in harms way but stands relaxed with his back turned.

Think of the chances he even comes into play there. He moved to that spot well before Jacoby was even near the sidelines. In the gif above he is sidestepping another guy on the sidelines to get a better view.

Why is he watching the jumbo tron? The get a coaches eye view. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Losing a draft pick for this would be absurd.

It would be like the NFL penalizing a team $36 million in cap space over two years because they exceeded the salary cap in a season in which there was no salary cap.....

Losing a draft pick for this would be absurd.

It would be like the NFL penalizing a team $36 million in cap space over two years because they exceeded the salary cap in a season in which there was no salary cap.....

So what you are saying is that its bound to happen?

I'm saying that the NFL does absurd shit all the time. Just because it shouldn't happen doesn't mean it won't.

Crawdads gif shows he moved onto the line when Jacobs got free. What it doesn't show is him taking another step into the playing field just when Jacoby gets to him. If you don't think this was on purpose you are a homer or aren't paying attention.

There is another view where u can see his eyes cut to jacoby to time his fake trip.

And yeah the nfl is gonna rape him. Coaches can't be fucking with the field of play like that and they will make an example of him no doubt

So he made a split second decision that he was going to get in the way of a full speed 6'2 215 lb guy in full pads with his back turned? Simple logic says that if he did it on purpose he'd at least be bracing for impact right? You are gonna do something like that your gonna marked damed sure you don't get hit. Makes zero sense that he puts himself right in harms way but stands relaxed with his back turned.

Think of the chances he even comes into play there. He moved to that spot well before Jacoby was even near the sidelines. In the gif above he is sidestepping another guy on the sidelines to get a better view.

Why is he watching the jumbo tron? The get a coaches eye view. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Who said it was a split second decision? Why would Tomlin take a step onto the playing field to get away from the playing field? It makes zero sense to me. I would think when watching the jumbo tron and seeing that the action was coming towards you, you would turn and look at the action to make sure none of the players roll up into you, right? What other reasons does Tomlin have to stand like that and take a step onto the field, he's not even supposed to be in the white. He even steps closer to the field when Jones breaks to the sideline.

Of course he did it on purpose. Since when is the jumbo tron a better view than looking 6 feet away? lol

depth perception? Poor on field angle? The fact that he was looking at the jumbo tron is not the problem. The problem is that being that close to the field is absolutely inexcusable whether there is intent or not. A six figure fine is more than fair imo... maybe even a one game suspension... but draft picks is ridiculous

I don't know, intentional or not he affected the play of a game while being in an area that he's not allowed to be in. I would not be opposed to draft pick loss, fine, suspension.

I understand looking at the jumbo tron at times for sure. I have college football seats right at the sideline and there are times when its a better view at the jumbo tron. However, when the play is coming to me and there is a clear path for me to see, then I certainly look at the field. I don't buy the jumbo tron better view angle, bc thats really the only excuse Tomlin could come up with.

but you're not on the field when you go to the games

tomlin is not just trying to see the player with the ball, he's trying to look at the entire field, looking at it on the jumbo tron obviously gives him a much better view but that does not make it ok for him to do it

I've been on the sidelines before so trust me I do understand how bad some of the angles are. Either way, he was in an area he wasn't supposed to be in and affected the outcome of a play...that has to face serious repercussions.

Of course the view on the jumbotron is better if you want to look at the entire field, or more of the field, possibly even from an overhead camera angle. He may have done it on purpose, I don't know, but it could very easily be better to watch on the jumbotron depending on what you're looking for.

But HE is the one who did it. Unless there is evidence he was instructed to do so, or the team knew he was going to do it. So you suspend him. You fine him. You don't take a draft pick away from the team. That's preposterous IMO.

Crawdads gif shows he moved onto the line when Jacobs got free. What it doesn't show is him taking another step into the playing field just when Jacoby gets to him. If you don't think this was on purpose you are a homer or aren't paying attention.

There is another view where u can see his eyes cut to jacoby to time his fake trip.

looked to me like a guy who found himself in the path of danger and just reacted. Sometimes to get yourself moving you have to take a quick jab step in the opposite direction.

Im im not a fan of either team on the field that night and I have viewed this at least thirty times now as it's plastered on every sports website. There is also appearantly video evidence that he does pretty much the same thing on many a kickoff to gain perspective.

Like ken I said before, he was in a restricted area and altered the play and deserves what's coming his way but that was not intentional.

Who said it was a split second decision? Why would Tomlin take a step onto the playing field to get away from the playing field? It makes zero sense to me. I would think when watching the jumbo tron and seeing that the action was coming towards you, you would turn and look at the action to make sure none of the players roll up into you, right? What other reasons does Tomlin have to stand like that and take a step onto the field, he's not even supposed to be in the white. He even steps closer to the field when Jones breaks to the sideline.

Thats my whole point that shows this was not intentional. The guy is right in harms way and doesn't even realize it till the last second. You would have to be a tough son of a bitch to realize that a huge guy in full pads is coming right at you full speed ahead and calmly keep your back turned to the action.

Yeah CDS the first time I saw it and even now it just looks like a guy that got lost in the moment then had an oh shit reaction, he'll get his, obviously he shouldn't have been there. I'm no Steeler fan that's for sure.

What would be his motive anyway? I'm sure he knows that shit would be all over the place after the game anyway if it was malicious, watching on the jumbotron to get the full perspective I'm sure it could be easy to lose track of where you are. People really think he was gonna try to get away with effecting the play without repercussions? I don't buy it a bit.

But HE is the one who did it. Unless there is evidence he was instructed to do so, or the team knew he was going to do it. So you suspend him. You fine him. You don't take a draft pick away from the team. That's preposterous IMO.

That doesn't make sense. Hes the head coach of the team.

Thats my whole point that shows this was not intentional. The guy is right in harms way and doesn't even realize it till the last second. You would have to be a tough son of a bitch to realize that a huge guy in full pads is coming right at you full speed ahead and calmly keep your back turned to the action.

Intentional or not it happened. A coach affected a play by being where e wasnt supposed to be. Actually a few feet away from where he knows hes supposed to be. A fine? How does that stop it from happening again?

Sean Peyton got suspended a year for bounties yet another coach can slow down a kick returner and simply get fined?

the more I think about it, the penalty should be minimal. Seriously question anyone that thinks he was out there to effect the play on purpose knowing what a big deal it would become with the talking heads.

Fine him something to make a point and move on please

Intentional or not it happened. A coach affected a play by being where e wasnt supposed to be. Actually a few feet away from where he knows hes supposed to be. A fine? How does that stop it from happening again?

Sean Peyton got suspended a year for bounties yet another coach can slow down a kick returner and simply get fined?

Attempting to injure someone is in a whole different league than this non-incident. To think I'd never defend the Steelers but this is over the top.

the more I think about it, the penalty should be minimal. Seriously question anyone that thinks he was out there to effect the play on purpose knowing what a big deal it would become with the talking heads.

Fine him something to make a point and move on please

then why is he there in the first place? If he can see everything going on, he can also see that his foot is on the playing field and that the play is coming right down the sideline. Aren't there also jumbotrons at both ends of the field? Why isn't he looking at the one from where the play is developing so he can face the action? He might be the only coach in the NFL that would look away on purpose. You can't tell me you honestly think Tomlin doesn't believe at least some part of this whole thing was a bit intentional.

He's only apologizing because he got caught IMO

Steeler fans you gotta love it when the best case scenario is that your coach is a merely stupid. LMAO. Now you get to walk in the shoes that Cowboys fans wore during the Switzer era.

Tomlin quote from yesterday: "At no time Thursday night, in the game or after, did I realize that my actions would be perceived potentially or could be perceived potentially as intentional. That's a mistake on my part."

I know what he's trying to say, but isn't that exactly the same statement someone would say if they WERE trying to get away with something? "I'm surprised anyone thought it was intentional, I thought I made it look accidental." See Jason Kidd. Someone get this man a speechwriter!

Back