The Implosion of the Phoenix Suns....

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Before I cashed out for the night did a lot of reading.

Basically GM's around the league are spreading it around that everyone except for Nash is on the block.

They are looking for(what I read) a young player, expiring contract and draft pick(s).

Whatcha think?

Of course reading the Detroit forums the people around here are jumping all over this....

If they sell it all off, I just wonder if and where that creates value for wagering.

And aren't they going to lose Nash in another year anyway?

Nash is a FA in the 2010 year. He is getting up in years though, came out in '97 I believe. Many specualte he will go to NY then at a reasonable rate to reunite with his old coach.

I don't understand how Porter still has a job. kerr is a joke for hiring him in the first place but now its just embarrassing.

check this out

Looking over the notes and quotes after the Warriors' 124-112 win over the Suns on Wednesday night, there was one quote in particular _ from Phoenix coach Terry Porter _ that deserves some attention.
First, the set-up: Kelenna Azubuike scored 19 points in the first quarter, including four 3-pointers, which pretty much set the tone for the blowout win.

Warriors coach Don Nelson used Azubuike as a power forward, and on this night it worked well. Azubuike was able to take advantage of Amare Stoudemire, and wound up with quite a few good looks from beyond the arc.

After the game, Porter was asked about Azubuike's first quarter.

"We didn't expect that," Porter said. "He hadn't hit that many 3s this year. He hit a couple 3s and it got him going. I don't know if that kid has attempted four 3s in a game, let alone made 3. He was open and shot them with confidence."

Link to Arizona Republic ...

Porter's going to want that quote back. Or he should want it back.

Just for the record, Azubuike has taken four or more 3-pointers in 12 games this season. In five of them, he's hit three or more. But more noteworthy is that apparently Porter doesn't think Azubuike is a good 3-point shooter.

For the season, Azubuike is shooting 46 percent from the field from 3-point range. Moreover, if you take away his atrocious start to the season (when he began 5-for-28 from 3-point range), Azubuike is shooting 54 percent from 3-point range since mid-November.

One last piece of important info for Porter: Azubuike entered the game as the league's sixth-best 3-point shooter. After last night, Azubuike ranks third.

The nice thing for Porter is that he gets an opportunity right away to deal with this: the Warriors play at Phoenix on Friday.

In a more general response I expect to see a larger than normal amount of players moved this deadline. A ton of disfunctional situations in the league right now.

Kerr needs fired before anybody. He brought in Porter to be a "defensive" minded coach and then went and traded Diaw and Bell who were probably their best two players.

They wer also good friends of Nash. Marion was a good friend of Nash. these day Nash looks around and sees Hill and Shaq who he considers friends. The other players--not so much. He is giving less effort this year than any time i can remember.

no doubt, but at least firing porter might pay dividends on the court. and the thing about diaw and bell was they were traded cuz of their deteriorating relationship with porter.

sarver is really to blame tho. they were set up so nicely long term and blew it as they auctioned off all their first round picks just so they could stay under the cap

I have feeling Bosh will be made available after the Hornets game and Phx has been rumoured to be in the mix.

As far as phoenix goes:

Tough to blow that team up, there is nothing other teams would really take a chance on.

Nash is getting up there in the years and has already publicly stated that Toronto or NY will be in his future plans.
Barbosa is a career back up that looks good in the right system.
Hill/Shaq are both getting up in years.
JRich probably has the most value as far as trade goes. He is stil young and has a big, but moveable contract.
Amare is the most overrated player in the league. Half his points come directly from Nash. He is also looking for a big payday in 2010 and has a gimp knee. Do you think any team wants to tie up 1/3 of their salary cap on Amare?

No young player to speak of.

Personally , Id probably get rid of Kerr before trading off all the pieces.

T-dot,

I read prolly 30 proposals tonight and those were the somewhat sane ones...lol

Bar,

both of those pistons trades are terrible. If Dumars ever parts with Prince I'm going to have a real hard time giving a fuck about Dtown basketball for a long time. Prince can not be traded. he's too important. And especially for No-D Amare, and Almost-washed up Barbosa.

here's a dream trade

Nash, Amare, and Joe Johnson to the Knicks in 2010? Assuming LeBron doesn't sign?

A full-fledged Suns reunion in the Big Apple.

forget Amare. He's terrible. Let MJ sign him to a 20 year contract. Larry Brown would kill himself.

Philadelphia 76ers

<TABLE style="CLEAR: both" class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TH colSpan=2>Incoming Players</TH></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD width=35>
2399.jpg
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Emeka Okafor
Salary: $9,537,500 Years Remaining: 6
PTS: 14.0 REB: 10.5 AST: 0.5 PER: 18.88
</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD width=35>
3027.jpg
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Brandon Roy
Salary: $3,084,240 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 22.3 REB: 4.7 AST: 5.0 PER: 23.98
976.jpg
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Shane Battier
Salary: $6,448,900 Years Remaining: 3
PTS: 6.7 REB: 4.8 AST: 2.0 PER: 9.44
2983.jpg
</TD><TD vAlign=top>LaMarcus Aldridge
Salary: $4,631,400 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 17.7 REB: 6.9 AST: 1.9 PER: 18.98
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Outgoing Players: Andre Iguodala, Elton Brand
por.gif
Portland Trail Blazers

<TABLE style="CLEAR: both" class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=colhead><TH colSpan=2>Incoming Players</TH></TR><TR class=oddrow><TD width=35>
2386.jpg
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Andre Iguodala
Salary: $11,300,000 Years Remaining: 6
PTS: 17.9 REB: 6.2 AST: 5.3 PER: 18.59
2992.jpg
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Shannon Brown
Salary: $797,581 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 4.8 REB: 0.8 AST: 0.9 PER: 12.24
Outgoing Players: Ike Diogu, Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge
hou.gif
Houston Rockets

2750.jpg
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Ike Diogu
Salary: $2,912,823 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 1.4 REB: 0.9 AST: 0.0 PER: 11.66
91.jpg
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Elton Brand
Salary: $13,757,844 Years Remaining: 5
PTS: 13.8 REB: 8.8 AST: 1.3 PER: 14.65
Outgoing Players: Ron Artest, Shane Battier
cha.gif
Charlotte Bobcats

25.jpg
</TD><TD vAlign=top>Ron Artest
Salary: $7,400,000 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 15.7 REB: 5.3 AST: 3.0 PER: 14.95
Outgoing Players: Emeka Okafor, Shannon Brown

I think you guys are being way too harsh on Steve Kerr. The largest blame goes to Robert Sarver the owner of the suns for not being willing to spend money. I mean go back and look at some of the trades they've made. and this goes all the way back to 05. they traded joe johnson for diaw and 2 first round picks because they didn't want to spend 70 mill on him over 5 years. they treated johnson so bad that that he asked them not to match atlanta's offer sheet. tell me what team in the nba wouldn't want joe johson for 5 years and 70 million.

Then the next year they traded brian grant and a pick in the draft that ended up being rajon rondo to the celtics for clevelands 2007 first rounder. they then traded the no. 27 pick to portland for freaking cash. that same year bryan colangelo signed marcus banks to a 5 year 24 million dollar contract. go back and look at the point guards taken in that draft and they signed marcus banks. then colangelo signed diaw for 5 years and 45 million. so realistically they paid diaw and banks the money they could have paid joe johnson.

the next offseason they sold the no 24 pick for 3 million to portland which ended up being rudy fernandez. so if they drafted him they could have done exactly what portland did and let him sit in europe for a year or two then pay him when he comes over. this is followed by the kurt thomas and two first rounder in 2008 and 2010 for a future second round draft pick? this is indefensible.

so last year the shaq trade happened. they got rid of marion's whiny attitude and got someone who they knew would sell the building out every night. when this happened i completely supported the trade because they weren't going to win anything with marion. i have no idea why they made the bell, diaw for richardson trade this year other than to just shake things up. long story short, i don't think you can put a lot of blame on kerr. Sarver obviously cared more about avoiding the luxury tax and making money than winning a championship. this team would be far better off if they weren't dealing draft picks for cash every offseason. they avoided bringing in a big name coach because they didn't want to spend money. now they have to deal amare, who might be the most unhappy looking player on the court in the whole nba. i just like using the trade machine to see where amare might end up.

Last time I checked they were spending 4 million less then the Lakers. That is not cheap. Amare and Barbosa were the complainers about time. Marion mostly grinned and did tv ads and was one of the most complete players in Basketball. If you do not blame Kerr for not getting a back up point guard and do not blame Kerr for sending Diaw away then you are a most forgiving person. I am not.

so you're saying all those moves weren't made to cut costs tuck? you're just talking about this year and one move kerr made. what about the long standing moves that prove my point. marion a complete player? your talking about the same guy that said he'd rather be the best player on a bad team than by the third wheel on a good team. and he actually said that. barbosa has a right to complain when he's playing 17 minutes. amare didn't like the shaq trade and would you blame him. that richardson trade was being talked about a long time before it happened. they should have had a backup point guard years ago through the draft. not signing marcus banks which kerr got off the books in the shaq trade. you act like finding backup point guards is easy.

Interesting you mention Nash to the Knicks, that is a matchup made in heavan, exactly the kind of player the Knicks would sign.

Old superstar with his best years behind him, overpay him 5 million more than anyone else would even consider, three years longer than anyone would think of

If the Knicks don't take him the Mets might, they love doing that to, gggrrrrr

Back