The G-Men

I've been noticing most so called "experts" are picking a LB in the mock drafts for the G-Men in round one??

Dan Connor, Keith Rivers, and Xavier Adibi seem to be the popular picks...

I do like the idea somewhat.... I think moving Kiwi back to his DE spot where we know he is solid as hell would be a great move.. that would definitely leave room open for a solid LB... but our Linebackers did a pretty good job this season and the oldest of the bunch is 28 years old (Aaron Pierce)...

I think a CB or Safety is needed a bit more for the Giants... and I would like to see an OT picked up in the top 3 rounds somewhere... I think moving Diehl back to guard and filling in Whimper or a new rookie stud at Tackle would make the line more solid for the long haul... plus Manning looks like a superstar when he has a little extra time to throw...

so unless we can get a possible playmaker like Manningham, which I really doubt will be available by the 32nd pick, I would go with a Corner or a Safety... I mean.. if it wasn't for the way the front four played this year leading the league in sacks, heaven knows how many times this backfield would have been burned.

blitz i agree with you, The saftey class is not deep by any stretch of the imagination as it has one or maybe two really good safties but those are both top 15 picks. The CB position you may in luck with. As there isn't a standout guy that is overwhelmingly a number 1 prospect in the CB class. I do not know much about your team but if you need a KR/PR the DB from Troy may be someone your team should take a look at as you've had success with people from Troy. Antoine Cason i believe is the best CB in the draft but i don't think many besides me believe that. Had ability to be very physical but can also play special teams if need be.

blitz i agree with you, The saftey class is not deep by any stretch of the imagination as it has one or maybe two really good safties but those are both top 15 picks. The CB position you may in luck with. As there isn't a standout guy that is overwhelmingly a number 1 prospect in the CB class. I do not know much about your team but if you need a KR/PR the DB from Troy may be someone your team should take a look at as you've had success with people from Troy. Antoine Cason i believe is the best CB in the draft but i don't think many besides me believe that. Had ability to be very physical but can also play special teams if need be.

that's the problem bud.. I think we need a safety a bit more than CB... Corey Webster and Aaron Ross look pretty good at Corner.. nothing spectacular yet, but enough to have me worry about the safety position a bit more... at safety, I think Gibril Wilson came along nicely at the end.. as for James Butler, well, I just don't trust him much in coverage...

if we could get someone who also fills in nicely returning kicks in special teams, then that would be great.. I would really like to see a speedster returning, but not sure that happens... that guy from Troy will be gone by the time the G-Men are on the clock I think.

Last edited:
The saftey problem is something many teams face, but your team has done well with a plug in guy for the time being. Maybe that can be addresssed in FA and get a plug guy for another year until someone can be drafted.

If both of your linebackers go somewhere else during FA, that is a position that is going to have to be addressed in the draft. Dan Conner comes to mind just off the top of my head. Even if you lose both linebackers a DB in the first round would not be out of question because there aren't many teams looking for LB's in this draft, so you could still get real value with your 2nd rounder.

well, it seems they may be after DeAngelo Hall...

http://blog.nj.com/ledgergiants/2008/02/giants_seek_trade_for_deangelo.html

It would more than likely mean giving up a first round pick...

not sure it happens but having a shutdown pro-bowl corner would do alot for the G-Men... specially when they always get burned by players like T.O.

They would be really solid in the corner position with him and Aaron Ross on the other side and with Webster in a relieving role.... plus having shutdown corners will allow for sending in extra people in blitz packages instead of just relying on the front four so much...

"By adding Hall, the Giants would increase depth and give themselves one of the league's best corners. They might also be able to shed the $1.47 million in salary 11-year veteran Sam Madison is owed this upcoming season by cutting him. Backup corner R.W. McQuarters, who is scheduled to earn $2.525 million in salary, is expected to be released -- perhaps as soon as this week.

Hall's 2008 salary is $4.22 million. The following season he's owed $957,500, though that year is voidable. Chances are the Giants will want to work out a new long-term deal if they complete the trade with Atlanta."

hey... maybe Shockey for Hall straight up.. lol.

Hall wouuld be a great addition to the DB backfield. He has the expierence and physicality to help other up and comming DB's in their maturity. I have always considered him a top 5 Db in the league. I think what happened in atlanta was unfortunate for him and i think he gave up a little bit and kinda said F**k it and didn't really try at anything he did. When he gives it his all, he is unbelievable.

Like you said above blitz, you see TO twice a year and one game inparticular stands out to me when he played against TO when he was in philly and he held TO to one catch for 6 yards. I think he would be a great addition as he can be as physical as the recievers if not more.

It allows the giants to go after a linebacker in the draft and let one or the other go into free agency.

you just about hit it dead on frankie...

Kawika gone to Buffalo... and for 17.5 mil for 5 years with 5 mil in guaranteed money... for that price, they can keep him.. I think the Giants are better off just replacing him...

Gibril Wilson gone to Raiders... not official yet, but all is better much said and done... the Giants were given one last chance to give him an offer, but they declined...

Wilson is now all-but certain to sign with the Oakland Raiders before the night is over. In fact, according to Foxsports.com, he’s close to accepting a whopping six-year, $39 million deal that would include a $16 million signing bonus.

Reggie Torbor is probably next to go, if he hasn't already...

I think the Giants pretty much lost all their free agents and have not made any moves yet...

I think we need to get Hall as soon as possible... and I think they are planning to replace Gibril with Erik Coleman or Eugene Wilson or someone like that (crossing fingers it's not somebody as old as Sammy Knight.. hehe)...

if all that happens, then it be great to pull in a LB off the draft... someone that can mold into the Spagnuolos' defensive system.... hey.. isn't Ian Gold available now too.. hehe.

I guess everything IS pretty much official..

Kawika.. gone...

Gibril Wilson.. gone.

Reggie Torbor.. gone.

oh well.. it's all good though.. none of them were big time players.

As long as they keep the front four intact then they can work on defense through the draft.. same way they worked on offense last season drafting Ahmad Bradshaw, Kevin Boss, and Steve Smith.

what were your thoughts on Gibril Wilson ? I Thought he was a stud in the playoffs, didnt pay much attention to him in the season.

I'll throw Gibril in as somewhere between good and great... definitely above average, and he's an excellent hitter, but I wouldn't say superstar or even stud when referring to him...

personally, I don't think there is anything out there that is available at his position that can top him right now, but I also don't think he's worth all the cash he is going to be rolling in...

I think the front four of the Giants took alot of slack off the backfield.. and even like that, us giant fans were still always worried about that deep play downfield... it just seemed it was something all opposing teams wanted to do against the Giants... go deep...

I'm happy for the guy though.. he's from the Bay area and going back to his hometown.. and rolling in dough in the process... that's good for him...

I think the Giants will be fine without him... they should be able to plug in someone that can get the job done just the same...

btw... what's up with your team bro??...

They seem to be spending a shitload of cash on players like Kelly and Gibril... those guys aren't the key to the Super Bowl... that's for sure.

what do you think about their moves??

Osi Umenyiora out for the season

Posted: 1 hours 21 minutes ago
Giants' Umenyiora requires season-ending knee surgery

NFL.com Wire Reports

The New York Giants' Osi Umenyiora needs season-ending knee surgery, NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting. The Pro Bowl defensive end has a torn MCL.

Umenyiora injured his left knee in the second quarter of the New York Giants' preseason game against the New York Jets.
UME444955.jpg
Osi Umenyiora, DE
New York Giants

Height: 6-3
Weight: 261
College: Troy State
Experience: 5

Umenyiora started all 16 games last season and had 52 tackles and a team-high 13 sacks. He added seven tackles in the Giants' run to the Super Bowl.

The Giants are a bit thin at defensive end this season with the retirement of seven-time Pro Bowler Michael Strahan. Tuck has replaced Strahan. New York also signed veteran Renaldo Wynn in the offseason.
With Umenyiora sidelined, the Giants could move strongside linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka back to defensive end. He was switched to linebacker last year so the team could put its best 11 players on the field.

"You are always concerned any time a player like that goes down," Kiwanuka said. "That's not good. We know the type of player he is and if he can come back he will. But we have the personnel to step up in his absence."

Kiwanuka sidestepped moving back to defensive end, saying that decision is up to the team.

Information from the Associated Press was included in this report

gonna have to move Kiwi back to the front line with Tuck... they'll still be solid with those two, but it's a whole front look with less depth without Osi and Strahan...

the press asked Strahan if he'd return... he says he hasn't been asked by anyone yet and he's enjoying his retirement right now.

damn... this hurts big...

we tried to warn em before the game started......

jets football is rough:pillow:

if you wanna play with the big boys, this is what happens:smiley_acbe:

:shake:

Was an ugly game, and they only called back like four of our TD's

Jets penalties:hang:

That sucks, he's a stud.

I know how this is going to sound coming from an Eagles' fan, but I really think the Giants have a tough year this year. This is the victory lap year, where they take a step back in my opinion, where not everybody stays healthy, where others coast a bit because they've got a ring, etc.

And, really, I think they earned it. But I wouldn't be surprised to see 9-7 this year.

wow, that is monumental that changes everything on defense for the giants. There d-line is what makes the defense work.

I agree with everyone who thinks this is a blow to the defense, but I don't think it's a devastating one...

I think what makes the defense so successful and what helped them lead the league in sacks last season was the fact that Spags was running things... his schemes and his play calling defensively will still be there and Reese keeps drafting and signing players that fit his mold...

I don't know for sure if they turn to Strahan or not (they did say they would consider all their options), but I can only imagine what kind of shape he is in right now vacationing in Greece... it isn't easy to get in NFL gametime shape when you haven't been into the hardcore offseason stuff... and 3 weeks is asking alot...

I think they're best option is to move Kiwi back to the front line where he played college and where he played his first season as a Giant... that's what he was drafted as and that's where he probably fits best... he was moved to linebacker mainly because Tuck was a beast at DE and moving Kiwi to linebacker put the best 11 players on the field instead of having too much talent sitting as backups...

the Giants still have plenty of depth at linebacker to replace Kiwi if needed... plus Kiwi and Tuck are both versatile enough to be used as ends or as LBs... I figure Spags will make sure to get the most use out of both.

I'm not saying we'll lead the league in sacks again, but we should be fine. We still have capable players that fit nicely into Spags system.

It's gonna be a doozy in the NFC East for all four teams this year guys... so buckle up and hang on.

I am a long time Giants fan too, and am not sure what to think. Eli (and the rest of the team) looked super sharp against the Browns, then maybe not so much against the Jets. I didn't see the Jets game, but hear the weather was bad? Just concerned about the inconsistency.

Back