The B1G: An Off-Season Discussion Thread

At 8.5, I like the under as of now.

At 8, it would be a soft pass as of now.

I see 5 possible losses.

But, as Cub said... it is tough to form a strong opinion but I like the initial thought process.

I'd like to hear what they're doing at qb before forming too strong of an opinion.

Isn‘t it enough to know it‘s not Horni?

Remember last year people had high expectations for him cause of how he did in a bowl game against a fizzled out Miami team LOL

if coan wins the job, i wouldn't expect anything better than what horni gave them. If Mertz wins it, then look out. not sure what usf has but that could be a tough opener for them. prob not going to beat Mich, but then they could be dangerous later in the year.

At 8.5, I like the under as of now.

At 8, it would be a soft pass as of now.

I see 5 possible losses.

But, as Cub said... it is tough to form a strong opinion but I like the initial thought process.
I have 4 wins- USF cmu Kent and IL...2 losses- Michigan and OSU...6 toss ups- nw MSU iowa neb Purdue minn. I gotta do some more digging but I’m liking the under 8.5 as well

Somebody besides Horni will be taking pressure off JT ok. I think the key will be the d-line. Last year was a disaster for it in terms of depth. Had a freshman walk-on and an o-lineman starting...yikes! This year it will be much better and that helps the whole rest of the D

Keep an eye on the UM secondary situation as fall camp goes on. Ambry Thomas, the presumed other starter has had some sort of thing going on and lost a lot of weight etc (not sure, they don't think it is mono). I read a lot of differing reports and JH was actually pretty open about it. He is hoping for late camp but the best I would think is maybe several weeks into the season? We shall see. That is a KO return guy too at times. He is so talented and this was hopefully his breakthrough year. Time may be running low...shall see...

Starting with the Atlantic Ocean (ACC) and ending with the PAC 12, I have finished restoring my CFB data base, leaving the B1G till last. Street & Smith see it this way, FWIW :

East

tOSU
MICHIGAN
MICH STATE
PENN STATE
INDIANA
MARYLAND
RUTGERS

West

NEBRASKA
PURDUE
WISCY
N’WESTERN
MINNESOTA
IOWA
ILLINOIS.

Wife’s is a Michigan alum. Bleeds blu. Yesterday was his birthday. He received a present totally different. From me.
Michigan to win B1G @ + 200 and something Certainly not a value play, and I would have preferred to make a play on just the tOSU game. However, that was not available on 5d.

Couple quick Michigan notes since they are quite public so I do not mind sharing....

-Ambry Thomas has colitis. He lost a lot of weight and they are trying to get him back with 'good weight'. I personally think he will be out till at least October but that is just reading the tea leaves. Big loss, this should be the time he breaks out

-Lavert Hill is much more mature this year, more of a leader. This is huge.

-Shea looks great with this offense so far, DMC is said to be a future 2 year captain. QB room is loaded. Milton could be a star, we'll prolly never see that here.

-O-Line will be the best Michigan line since 2011. It took 8 years and some awful recruiting then Tim Drevno coaching to get out of this hole.

-Lingering injuries as always

-RB ...I am guessing we'll see who emerges from the pack after a few games. Hopefully it is Zach.

-Best full coaching staff they have had with this regime. They are purportedly much more tight knit and there are just several upgrades (getting rid of Pep and Mattison was huge).

-Special Teams should be very good.

-Secondary and d-line depth are my concerns right now.

I would break down the BTN traveling road show segments but each school gets to basically narrate how they want to look so they can be very misleading. That is just another reason DiNardo etc hate Michigan. They don't give up anything.

I tried to get a report from the Sparty scrimmage but I kept getting varying accounts to be honest.

I would break down the BTN traveling road show segments but each school gets to basically narrate how they want to look so they can be very misleading. That is just another reason DiNardo etc hate Michigan. They don't give up anything.

I tried to get a report from the Sparty scrimmage but I kept getting varying accounts to be honest.

Any consistent accounts of Brian?

Any consistent accounts of Brian?
Here ya go champ

We know this much: MSU’s offense came away with a 38-37 victory, and the winning score came on a fourth-and-17 throw from redshirt freshman quarterback Theo Day to fifth-year senior wideout Darrell Stewart Jr. The Spartans are leaving the rest of the details to the imagination. They’ll hold their second scrimmage this Friday.

“Running backs looked good, had good scrimmages. Offense actually won the scrimmage, that was I guess a noticeable thing there,” MSU head coach Mark Dantonio said. “Elijah Collins looked good, (Connor) Heyward looked good. All four of them really looked good. Anthony (Williams Jr.) looked good. He’s dinged up a little bit today, so he’ll be out today. He looked good as well.”

Dantonio recapped Lewerke’s performance in a single word: “sharp.”

“I thought the quarterbacks all played well,” he said. “I thought Lewerke had a good day, (Rocky) Lombardi good day, and I think Theo Day is really coming along.”

Obviously we have no clue on the structure of the scrimmage. They kept it under wraps.

Sounds like the '99 Rams to me though.

Obviously we have no clue on the structure of the scrimmage. They kept it under wraps.

Sounds like the '99 Rams to me though.

Well all I was looking for was confirmation that Lewerke is currently playing at the caliber of an NFL MVP quarterback. So i‘m happy.

from what I'm hearing.

Martinez quite a bit better in the pass game. Really knows all the ins and outs of the offense now. Would think they go faster this year.
Looks like Vedral would be the backup, but Luke McCaffrey is the real deal. Wouldn't surprise me that if Martinez goes down for an extended period of time, that they would go with Luke. QB coach has a 722 question test and said Luke did better than any freshman ever. Kid was in for the spring and really knows his shit. Helps to be an incredible athlete.
Mo Washington will be a breakout player if his legal troubles don't get in the way.
Dedrick Mills "runs his ass off" according to our RB coach. He prefers trying to run over everybody.
RFr Hunt looks to be a starter at WR opposite Spielman.
Wandale is tough to deal with - they're just trying to keep him healthy. He's going to run it and catch it and return some kicks, along with Mo and JD.
Another true frosh WR, Jamie Nance, will likely play.
TE are night and day better than last year. If they can stretch the field like the UCF TEs did two years ago remains to be seen.
OL seems to be coming along - Jurgens limited participant at practice, prob won't be ready for week 1. Looks like rFr Will Farniok at C. His brother already starts at RT. Sounds like L to R, it will be Jaimes, Hixson, W. Farniok, Wilson, M. Farniok. They say they have a 2 deep at every spot, who they would be comfortable playing. I still see this, along with LB, as the biggest ? on the team.

Finally, depth on the DL. Davis twins, Daniels brothers, Stille, and now they're saying the most impressive this fall has been Deontre Thomas, a redshirt Soph who played as a true and was injured last year. Juco Green just got to campus this week and was on the field the last couple of days. Sounds like he'll get in the mix too.
Coaches seem a lot happier with their OLB group. Davis was pretty bad last year, but they sound confident in him. Domann moved midseason from S and did pretty well. Had a knee scoped, but practiced full go today. Tannor found the weight room and is the most athletic. Haven't heard a whole lot about Ferguson who was decent when healthy last year. Figure he's another one that they're just trying to keep on the field.
Barry is the star at LB in the middle. Miller, after a few position changes, now seems to be settled at the other ILB spot. Honas, a JUCO guy who got hurt 4 games in last year, is the third guy there. After that, I think a RS freshman walk-on is #4 and a true frosh walk-on might be #5 so it's rough.
Williams and Dismuke appear to be the starting safeties. Jackson and Bootle are def the starting CB. Cam Taylor, who played a decent amt last year as a true, might be the top backup at all 4 spots. They're as high on the four true freshman in the defensive backfield as possible.

I'd be surprised if this team can't find 9 wins, assuming #2 stays healthy.

Running through some Purdue news:

Purdue football scrimmage recap | 'A lot of room for improvement'
Mike Carmin, Lafayette Journal & Courier Published 2:22 p.m. ET Aug. 10, 2019

Jeff Brohm recaps the Boilermakers' closed scrimmage at Ross-Ade Stadium Mike Carmin, Journal & Courier
Defensive tackle Lorenzo Neal is a game-time decision for Aug. 30 opener at Nevada, Jeff Brohm said

WEST LAFAYETTE – What we learned from Jeff Brohm about Saturday’s closed Purdue football scrimmage inside Ross-Ade Stadium. The media wasn’t allowed to attend.

• Good day for the defense. Bad day for the offense. Maybe not a big surprise, but the lack of consistent play from the offensive line – and on this day the quarterback position – added to the lackluster performance.
“I think our defense did some really good things early,” Brohm said. “They kept us out of the end zone. They played hard and kept the ball in front of us. Offensively, I don’t think it was a very good day for us. I thought we struggled upfront, which we’ve got to get better at, and I thought we struggled at the quarterback position. A lot of room for improvement.”

• Brohm didn’t single out one quarterback when discussing their issues. How Elijah Sindelar and Jack Plummer perform is directly related to the offensive line, but Brohm said the group has to adjust to their surroundings.
“The quarterback has to be able to make plays occasionally when the design of it isn’t wide open right off the bat,” Brohm said. “That means you have to hold onto (the ball) a little longer, that means you have to find a little room in the pocket and step up and make plays. I didn’t think we did that at all. It wasn’t one of our better days and hopefully, we learn from it and try and improve and get better.”

• Brohm said the coaching staff mixed up the order of the offensive line to make sure everybody played. Later, Brohm was asked if the lineup we’ve seen during training camp – Grant Hermanns (left tackle), Alex Criddle (left guard), Viktor Beach (center), Matt McCann (right guard) and Will Bramel (right tackle) – is one he liked.
“I do not love our lineup right now,” Brohm said. “We’re mixing things around. We’re not playing well enough to win right now. That’s saying nothing about our guys – they’re working hard and getting better – but we have to improve.” Bramel did rotate in at center during the scrimmage, Brohm said.

• Other than tight end Brycen Hopkins and freshman receiver Milton Wright, Brohm couldn’t find any other player to talk about on offense. Not even at running back.

“It wasn’t one of their better days,” Brohm said. “We ran hard at times, didn’t know our assignments always and didn’t do very good in two-back situations on the lead block instances where we’re trying to get a yard or less. In general, it wasn’t a good day.”

• Defensively, Brohm said the line brought pressure, led by freshman end George Karlaftis. The third-year coach said the linebackers played well and the secondary gave up a couple of big plays early but settled down.

“I feel we need to be a good team on defense this year,” Brohm said. “We have quite a few players and offensively, we’ve got to get better fast because it wasn’t what it needs to be to beat anybody on our schedule.”

• With the season opener 20 days away, Brohm has already declared Lorenzo Neal a game-time decision. Neal underwent knee surgery in December and was expected to be on the field during training camp, but the defensive tackle hasn’t practiced yet. “Whether he goes or not will be up to the doctors. I’m not optimistic,” Brohm said. The Boilermakers are also missing Jeff Marks and Giovanni Reviere but Brohm likes the depth on the line, including Branson Deen, who is working at multiple positions. “He’s had a good camp,” Brohm said of Deen.

• Freshman receiver David Bell didn’t participate in the scrimmage but is going through individual drills. Mershawn Rice, another freshman receiver, didn’t play in the scrimmage but is moving closer to returning to full speed.

• Sophomore Rondale Moore played in the scrimmage during non-tackling situations.
Mike Carmin covers Purdue football for the Journal & Courier. Email mcarmin@gannett.com and follow on Twitter @carmin_jc

Questions remain as Purdue begins final week of training camp
Mike Carmin, Lafayette Journal & Courier Published 10:32 a.m. ET Aug. 11, 2019

Jeff Brohm recaps the Boilermakers' closed scrimmage at Ross-Ade Stadium Mike Carmin, Journal & Courier

WEST LAFAYETTE – Three things we’ve learned, three things we don’t know as Purdue begins its final week of training camp Monday:

THREE THINGS WE’VE LEARNED
• The two most talented positions on the field – receivers and defensive backs. There’s skill at both spots and it shows up during practice in one-on-one situations. The receivers win their share of battles. The defensive backs win as well. That’s how it’s supposed to work. A lot of it is newcomer against newcomer, a sign the talent pool is increasing. The competition aspect should push both units heading into the opener at Nevada and throughout the season.
• The defense is ahead of the offense. No surprise but co-defensive coordinator Nick Holt’s group continues to move forward and play with some consistency, despite the absence of Lorenzo Neal (see below) and other players out with injuries. This is a good sign at this stage in camp.

Meanwhile, the offense has endured its share of problems, although the No. 1 group looked good during Thursday’s scrimmage open to fans and media. Defensively, there’s more depth along the defensive line, Markus Bailey and Ben Holt are solid at linebacker and the secondary has more size and options to pick from. This group should move closer to its 2017 level compared to how it played last season.

• It will be difficult to keep a lot of freshmen off the field. Right now, there's a handful who are the team’s best players at certain positions. Not all the first-year players know what to do and when to do it, an element that will hold them back. That doesn’t mean they will all start but expect to see them on the field. The first indication will be how many freshmen travel to Nevada. With only 10 seniors who will play on a regular basis, the other positions must be filled by someone. Why not fill those spots with your best players, regardless of class?

THREE THINGS WE DON’T KNOW
• Will freshman receiver David Bell (hamstring) be ready for the first game? The Warren Central graduate returned to practice Friday and has participated in individual drills. If Bell can play in the next scrimmage coming up Saturday, look for him in the season opener at Nevada.

• Are the Boilermakers preparing to play the opener without Neal? It appears so when Brohm listed the defensive tackle as a game-time decision – 20 days before kickoff. Neal has yet to practice after undergoing knee surgery in December. He was expected to ease himself into training camp to prepare to play in the opener. It appeared he was on the right track since Purdue brought Neal to Big Ten Media Day. He answered questions about his status and gave every indication he would be available against Nevada. He still might, but it's not looking promising.

• How will the offensive line look after training camp ends and game preparation for Nevada picks up? Brohm hinted at mixing up the group again after Saturday’s performance in the closed scrimmage. But what are his options? They are limited, at best.

Two linemen – Mark Stickford and Eric Miller – are out, depleting the choices. Brohm clearly wasn’t happy with their performance in the scrimmage but give credit to the defense for making it difficult. But for this offense to work – and perform at a high level – the line must improve its play quickly.

Sounds more and more like Boiler D can resemble the 2017 unit. One would assume the O can build on last year, but OL needs to be better and likely not as good at QB this year.

Michigan RT Andrew Stueber out for first part of year if not longer (knee)

The only good thing here, is the OL is deep and they were neck and neck for this spot anyways (Mayfield).

BAR, I haven't looked through all the posts or have begun to study the lower tier teams, but Mich -32.5 with a pretty low total of 52ish vs MTST. MTST is usually good for some points. Have they fallen off?

BAR, I haven't looked through all the posts or have begun to study the lower tier teams, but Mich -32.5 with a pretty low total of 52ish vs MTST. MTST is usually good for some points. Have they fallen off?
Stockstill ran out of eligibility

Line only has a few guys back that I know of.

Defense will be okay.

They won't be as much of a factor as previous years.

If they get 7, this game goes over imo. AS OF NOW...

We'll talk more next week...

Here’s my osu O breakdown.

QB: total ? Anyone that doesn’t give the qb room a ? has blinders on. And quite frankly I’m concerned if Fields stays healthy. Reports have been suspect although I don’t believe he’s still in a qb battle. It’s his but he’s been spotty. If he goes down, then it’s ugly. There’s not much else there. Hoak and Chug aren’t beating mich msu psu @neb. They’d struggle vs a lot of teams tbh.

RB: short on experience. If Dobbins is ‘18 Dobbins and not ‘17 Dobbins or better, we’re in trouble. Lots of alleged talent in the room but nothing proven or can stay healthy. Losing Snead was a killer big time. Teague is banged up and missed time. Crowly is a true frosh that has been getting high grades thus far, but still a frosh. Gill maybe? Prob the H back if McCall can handle rb duties. But it’s on dobbins. He was bad last yr. He admits it too. But he can’t handle 20 carries a game. Way too small. He needs McCall to finally step up on and off the field and let gill man the H back, and let Crowley handle 4-6 carries/game that need 1-2 yds for the 1st down. Dobbins needs 15-18 carries a game, McCall needs 8-10 touches a game.

Wr: should be real good. Little bit of everything. Possession wr, speed wr, size. Hill is a stud. Mack can make 1st downs on a regular basis, but will drop one here and there. Victor is a wild card. Most talent. Most 1 hand catches. Least production. If he turns the corner then this group could be very good to excellent. Olave seems to be a breakout star. And true frosh Wilson appears to be going to get major time as he’s been labeled the best wr in the room. Should be a great group here.

OL: I actually like. Kinda a lot. LT Mumford is solid to good. LG Jackson was AB10 at Rutgers, C Meyers was a 5*, RG Davis started some last year and held his own, RT Bowen (assuming) is coming off a major injury and is said to be fully healthy. He was quite good in ‘17. Wish Jordan was back to man the LG and move Jackson to rg, but oh well. I think the OL will be fine. Msu and psu are the only DLs that I see on the schedule that could possibly give them trouble. Not sure this is a pass pro great group, but see a very good run blocking group. Have decent depth too. Petit-frere is right there at RT and he was a 5*.

Overall: I like the O, but don’t love it. Dobbins was obviously out of shape last yr. not nearly as dynamic as ‘17. Supposedly he’s lost 10-15 lbs and is back on track. WRs should be real good to really good. OL should be good to real good. It’s all on Fields. He’s not Haskins obviously. He’s not Barrett on 3rd and 3 and runs up the middle for a 1st every time obviously. He needs to be able to move the O his own way. He needs to stay healthy.

Hard to feel comfortable with a qb that is new. Hasn’t had great reviews from fall camp. And not a workhorse at rb that can bail you out. Plus, if your Star qb gets hurt, oh boy.

Lots of ????

D review in a bit.

Now my THE D breakdown:

DL: love the DL. Goes 7-8 deep. One weak spot may be cooper at DE. He wasn’t real bad last year but wasn’t a difference maker. He was just ok. Young at the other DE is getting top 5-10 pick in mocks. He’s not the bosa bros imo but he’s real good. The DTs aren’t nfl top 2 rds draft types but I think landers and Hamilton will both get a shot. Their backups togiai and Antwan Jackson have the possibility of being high end draftees. Hamilton was a head scratcher offer when he was in hs but he’s kept grinding. He’s solid. Landers is a much bigger Lil Nas X, wearing cowboy boots and cowboy hats. Love his college game. So much fun to watch. Their back ups would start at every school in the B10 not named psu or msu. I haven’t looked at their singular personnel but I know they are returning some talent from good D’s. Then Tyler Friday will rotate in and can play inside or out. Plus Cornell will rotate in a d out. This is a nasty group.

LBs: dear gawd. Biggest ??? on the team. Harrison is huge and athletic. I thought he was just as bad as the other 2 lbs last yr up until the last 3 games. Harrison really played well esp vs the run the last quarter of the season. Borland and Werner were bad. Real bad. Not sure they would have played at Toledo so not sure how they played at osu. With that said we’re stuck with them for round 2. Injuries aside, they were really bad. Not sure how much they can improve. There’s star power behind them but for whatever reason they aren’t producing to get their shot. Baron browning and terjada Mitchell were both recruiting coups but can’t beat out the slugs listed above. Weird. OSU fans and insiders are hoping/saying with mattison less complicated D system the LBs will be better. Rumor was Schiano brought a NFL D to osu and it was too complicated. We’ll see.

DBs: I like this group a lot. Not as much as the DL but think they have a shot at being really good. Okudah is a stud at cb. He can lock down opposing teams #1. I like Annette at the other cb believe it or not if he’d just learn that his head can turn left and right. He’s permitted to do that in football. I’d prefer Shaun wade be the every down cb and arnette move to nickel. Wade will be a future high draftee. At S brendon white took this group from bad to good just by stepping on the field last season. Jordan fuller will be the other S and he’s solid. If he takes the next step then this secondary will be in the great category.

With mattison now at the helm the rumor is they are going to take a lb off the field and move a bigger S up to the line ala jabril peppers roll. That will be white or whint. Whint has no business with a uniform let alone playing at osu. He’s bad.

Lots of high end young talent behind these starters but need experience.

Overall: this D obviously needs to play better than last yr. It has the chance to be good. Don’t think it can reach really good/great because of LBs. If this D can get to 25th ranked D then that’s an accomplishment. Just think the LBs are going to be the ball and chain. When guys like whint and Werner and Borland are playing that’s 30% of your squad. On top of this, just read a report today from bill greene that the LBs had their worst week this past week and one of Werner/Borland has held of both 5* LBs terjada Mitchell and baron browning (can’t remember which). That tells me all I need about the lb room.

Right on queue, Cooper at DE goes down. Supposedly had surgery immediately after it happened. Supposedly not serious.

This is all message board scuttle but def seems like he’s the one down.

Overall for osu:

Going from most concerned to least concerned position groups:

LBs
QB
RB
WR
OL
DB
DL

There’s three tiers. LBs and qb are tier1 (lit of concern) rb and wr are tier 2 (some concern not much), and OL DB and DL tier 3 (no concern).

I see this as a 10-2/9-3 team. This is assuming we don’t drop like flies. I see 2-3 losses out of Cincy @neb @nw psu msu @mich.

Reasonings:

Cincy: Fields will have a field day vs FAU game 1. Come in with all the light game 2 as he’s arrived. He’s the man. Cincy with Fick at HC and Marcus Freeman at DC (former osu lb) will be licking their lips. Fields is going to get pounded this game and he’ll need to take it and deliver the ball. Fick wasn’t even given the opportunity to interview for the osu job. They’ll want to make a statement. And this Cincy team returns a lot from a 10-2 team from last year.

@neb: night game. Frost is a stud. Should be undefeated. Fields 1st crazy environment. Has L written all over it. Neb D May not be stout. May be bad even. But if Fields keeps throwing it to them and Martinez is hanging TDs on the board, it’s a L.

@NW: it’s a Friday night game. Has some pieces in place but this is the team that a 240 lb rb needs to just eat clock and walk out with a 17-10 win.

PSU/MSU: put them together because they’re the same imo. Both return nasty D’s that can give a young erratic QB problems. More worried about msu tbh. If lewerke is ‘17 lewerke and not noodle arm ‘18 lewerke msu could be a very tough out. I know their OL is bad but it’s always bad.....supposedly.

@mich: doesn’t need much said. I’ll do a mich write up this week as I know their personnel as well as osu’s.

New coach, all new D coaches except one, new qb that’s not started, said qb has been reported that he’s struggled except for this past week, and no workhorse at rb to help out a young qb equals losses imo. There’s times you need that big rb that can move the chains and just eat the clock to get out of @neb or @nw on a Friday night with a W. Dobbins isn’t that imo. And you end up losing those games because Fields needs to be drew brees.

An opposing fans breakdown of mich O (I know there’s several loyal mich guys here that are great, but thought I’d throw my thoughts around. See what they think):

QB: Patterson deserves to be the #1 ranked qb in the conf but imo he’s just ok. He’s at best a mid rd draftee that prob won’t make it. But the conf QBs are bad, or are young and unproven. Patterson will look like gold vs the middling teams but will be at best ok vs legit teams. He can’t carry mich to a W. Just not that skilled. Mccafrey is hisbackup and is a bit more skilled than Patterson imo. But again not someone who has shown he can will the team to a win. He hasn’t shown me that in his limited duty. Then there’s the fan fav Milton at 3rd string. He belongs at ucf not mich. Hes a major project. A look at him coming off the bus guy but not on the field.

RB: what a hot mess. Relying on a low level 3* and a walk-on to carry the load. But there is a high end true frosh in charbonnet who enrolled early. Oh, but he had surgery in the spring. And that equals a mess. Chris Evans who was booted wouldn’t have helped this situation as he was more of a scat back. Mich shouldn’t be in this situation at rb.

Wr: This is the group that stands out but still has warts. Peoples-Jones has a lot of skill but he needs to be better. His route running is poor and his hands fail him now and then and he’s too good for that. Nico Collins is #2 and I actually like him better. He’s a huge wr. #3 is Tarik black and has a ton of skill but is always hurt. One prob with this group is they’re all big wrs. The slots are Ronnie bell and sanistril (sp?). Both were very low level recruits that are being overly pumped by mich insiders. I don’t by that hype. This group lacks that underneath threat.

OL: Now this group is in my opinion in the vastly overrated category. Even with 4 retuning all conf guys. This was my thought before the injuries even. This unit is low in depth, real low. Starting RT Steuber is done for the yr. tore a knee up. And his back up was the 6th man to fill in. Now there’s no one behind anyone. Starting LT Runyon, who I do like, has a bad back and it’s a total shhhhh on what’s going on with him. I read he might be done for 3-5 weeks (that was last week). The two T back ups is a RS frosh. That’s not good if a rs frosh is your backup for both T spots.

The interior OL is decent and might be pretty good. Bredeson at lg and Ruiz a C are solid. I think both might get drafted this yr. RG owenu is a liability. Ok run blocking, very ave pass blocking. I don’t see him getting drafted. His weight is a major issue.

One thing this whole group has going for them is ed warriner, the OL coach. He’s very good to great. He could make a nice living in one location if he would accept who he is. But there’s a prob with him. Discuss him later.

Overall: Lots of ???? Imo. You have harbaugh supposedly giving the keys to gattis, a 1st time play caller who was passed over by franklin at psu and bama. A 1st time player caller who thinks he invented the concept “speed in space.” Both saying they are going to run a 2-qb system but are still working out how. Two banged up OTs. No RBs. New terminology. And a system that hasnt been recruited for. I want to see a tough game, right situation and see what harbaugh does. Does he stand back and let Gattis go? Or does he go back to 1983 football?

Then there’s Eddy Warriner I mentioned earlier. He thinks he should have the keys. What input does he have at mich? As good of an OL coach as he is, he’s worse of a play caller/offensive strategist. And he’s a headache in the coaches room. But a stud OL coach if he knows his place. If he has any input or voices his opinion that he should have an opinion then he’s a prob.

Mich D breakdown:

DL: prob the worst DL in harbaughs time at mich. I like kwity-paye at DE. He’s a step behind what they’ve had though. Hutchinson is at the other DE spot and was a frosh last year. Not sure how big of a jump he’ll make this year but he’s solid. Their back ups are villain and cmu (maybe wmu) xfer danna. Villain has done not much in 2-3 years and danna was all-mac. He had double digit sacks but something like 9/12 were vs FCS teams or the like. It was most vs bad comp. How he is vs B10 OT has yet to be seen. Interior DL is in trouble. Carlo Kemp is a guy you want spelling the starters 2 times a game, not your main stay guy in the middle. Dwumfore imo started his career of like he was going to be a stud but has kind of slowed down. I’m not sure he’s draftable now. Their back ups are a true frosh mazi smith and Donovan jeter. Smith I think will/could be a stud in 2-3 years but it’s hard for true frosh to do much on the DL. Jeter? Wouldn’t be in the 2-deep at osu. Wouldn’t be a player at msu or Psu either. Not sure where the pressure will come from in this group.

LBs: I loved Khaleke Hudson a couple years ago. Hated seeing him on the field and then last year happened. Just wasn’t good. Will he turn it around? I think so. But might be hard with the DL he has. He could be a devin bush light. Not going to be bush because he was great, but could be a lesser version. Ross in the middle and Gil the other LB are jus ok. Ok at best. DC’s aren’t worried about these guys. Again they would t play much at msu or psu. Maybe play at osu because the LBs were bad. The backups is a former walk on in Glasgow and I’m not sure, maybe mcgrone? Maybe a true frosh? I haven’t seen much on who it will be.

DBs: I really liked the cbs until Thomas went down. Hill is good. Real good. Thought ambry Thomas was going to be a real good #2 until he went down with an illness. No time table for his return. His back up is Vincent grey. If I remember right he was a low end 3*. Not sure he’s going to be an every down cb. Now the S I think are an issue, big time. Mettulus is just not good. He’s a liability in the back. He may rack up stats vs Rutgers but vs upper echelon comp he gets exposed. The other S May be true frosh Dax hill. Odds are he’s going to be a high end draftee but he’s a true frosh. Brad Hawkins could get the 1st call, but why? Throw hill out there let him get the game going vs the non conf schedule. He’s only here 3 years anyways. Depth here? Not much.

Overall: I think this just not a good group. Plus more importantly there’s no depth at all. There’s 2 high end draftees in the 2 deep in Lavern and Dax hill. The latter is a true frosh. Don Brown won’t ever have a bad D, but this group is taking a major step back for a few reasons. 1) not much high end talent replacing a lot of high e d talent that departed last years team, 2) no depth, 3) style of play. In the past harbaugh has protected his D by the type of O he has run. It limited the number of plays the D was on the field. Now, the O is a no huddle, uptempo style that will be prone to quick 3 and outs....it happens. That puts an average talented D with no depth back on the field quickly, and 4) the schedule. Goes back to the lack of depth and style of play on O. This D has to play army, wisky, Iowa, and msu...all down hill style teams then have tough games vs psu, Nd, and osu. The downhill style of play imo will wear this D out and it will catch up to them down the stretch.

Again, appreciate the time you took to put those thoughts down. I have no insight on any of that. Might be good to hear a Michigan fan either confirm, deny or quantify some of those opinions.

QB: Patterson deserves to be the #1 ranked qb in the conf but imo he’s just ok. He’s at best a mid rd draftee that prob won’t make it. But the conf QBs are bad, or are young and unproven. Patterson will look like gold vs the middling teams but will be at best ok vs legit teams. He can’t carry mich to a W. Just not that skilled. Mccafrey is hisbackup and is a bit more skilled than Patterson imo. But again not someone who has shown he can will the team to a win. He hasn’t shown me that in his limited duty. Then there’s the fan fav Milton at 3rd string. He belongs at ucf not mich. Hes a major project. A look at him coming off the bus guy but not on the field.

Deepest QB room in the country. Shea was pretty solid last year in an offense that didn't fit him. DMC will be the starter the next two years and I think he is the best Michigan QB since Henne. He is such a great runner too, never saw that coming. Milton will be a portal star at some point on a lower-level team( he just isn't gonna wait till the end here, imo. I am shocked he is here now -- great kid though).

Everything on offense is predicated on sticking with the new offense though in my comments....

RB: what a hot mess. Relying on a low level 3* and a walk-on to carry the load. But there is a high end true frosh in charbonnet who enrolled early. Oh, but he had surgery in the spring. And that equals a mess. Chris Evans who was booted wouldn’t have helped this situation as he was more of a scat back. Mich shouldn’t be in this situation at rb.

The quicker Zach becomes starter, the better. His health is fine and he really came on during camp. Now, you are 100% right about this position should not be what it is. No one has really panned out here. Higdon and Weber were a wash overall... Derrick Green busto... Kareem Walker (remember this kid....Urban made him commit to OSU during MNC game in 2015)...busto and still hasn't shown up to his new school. Now, I don't think this will be as dire as it sounds....the RB position. In fact, it makes them pass more which is perfect.

Wr: This is the group that stands out but still has warts. Peoples-Jones has a lot of skill but he needs to be better. His route running is poor and his hands fail him now and then and he’s too good for that. Nico Collins is #2 and I actually like him better. He’s a huge wr. #3 is Tarik black and has a ton of skill but is always hurt. One prob with this group is they’re all big wrs. The slots are Ronnie bell and sanistril (sp?). Both were very low level recruits that are being overly pumped by mich insiders. I don’t by that hype. This group lacks that underneath threat.

Too much depth here to be honest. I'll agree on Sainstril just because I have no clue on him either other than the reports. Ronnie Bell is just a diamond in the rough, we all like him a lot. The starting 3 are excellent. Now, DPJ had some lingering issue for months so we'll see. Nico is the most sure-handed guy in the country and Black is finally 100% healthy.

Lets go into the route-running you mentioned. This was one of the biggest complaints about the prior staff... they had the most ridiculous route trees. I mean, it was horrible. Last year it got better somewhat and we saw better WR production.

The TE position is excellent. I love the pass-catching/blocking group A LOT to be honest.

Don't forget Cornelius Johnson... he's gonna be a stud.

OL: Now this group is in my opinion in the vastly overrated category. Even with 4 retuning all conf guys. This was my thought before the injuries even. This unit is low in depth, real low. Starting RT Steuber is done for the yr. tore a knee up. And his back up was the 6th man to fill in. Now there’s no one behind anyone. Starting LT Runyon, who I do like, has a bad back and it’s a total shhhhh on what’s going on with him. I read he might be done for 3-5 weeks (that was last week). The two T back ups is a RS frosh. That’s not good if a rs frosh is your backup for both T spots.

The interior OL is decent and might be pretty good. Bredeson at lg and Ruiz a C are solid. I think both might get drafted this yr. RG owenu is a liability. Ok run blocking, very ave pass blocking. I don’t see him getting drafted. His weight is a major issue.

One thing this whole group has going for them is ed warriner, the OL coach. He’s very good to great. He could make a nice living in one location if he would accept who he is. But there’s a prob with him. Discuss him later.

Brady Hoke and company had some bad luck and recruiting with the 2013 lineman. Then, Tim Drevno was the biggest waste of space ever to coach anywhere. Top that off with the cherry that is losing Grant Newsome and you have had just brutal OL play here till last season. Warriner is like magic. More on him later... Yes Stueber is out but that was like a 55-45 battle still at that point in camp. Runyon would play week one if this was OSU, but there is no reason to play him week one. They haven't announced it yet but he'll be out. He may sit vs Army too (a comfortable win as well -- yes -- will be on UM pretty big). The rest of the line is excellent and actually has excellent depth for the first time in about 13-15 years.

Back to Ed... I know OSU people hate him and think this and that. Okay, fair enough but he hasn't been an issue with this school at all. In fact, they say this is easily the best chemistry the staff has ever had since JH came aboard. Also, more on that later...

I'll just do some bullet points on defense:

They really like the DL more than most outsiders do. I share some concerns, especially about depth plus guys like Kwity and Dwumfour always seem banged up.

The LB's scared the shit out of me most of the spring. Ross though will be very good. I have no idea what Khaleke was going through last year but he was not good. He had a great spring/summer though and is considered the leader of the team. I think he will be back to his level or close to of a few years ago.

The backfield is also scary. Long and Hill were a great tandem but even LeVert had some odd issues last year and was a bit of cancer at times. Again, who knows what is up with a college kid. He is apparently back to his form now and should have a huge year. Ambry came down with Colitis. He is getting his weight back. I believe the target date is Rutgers. This should have been his breakout year...we'll see... V. Gray is solid but it's been awhile since they have been this green back there overall. I like Hawkins, Dax will be great down the line. Mettulus is solid, not great. This will be an interesting mix for sure.

Special teams are damn good in every facet.

Btw, you forgot the sack man in my avatar. Josh Uche!... I love that kid. He is a joy to watch and should have 8-11 sacks this year.

Okay, now to the staff.

There was a lot of addition by subtraction the last few years....

-Drevno being let go 17 months ago was the start of JH cutting the cord with friends/old coordinators. He is literally the worst OC I have ever seen and lazy ass recruiter.

-Pep Hamilton...my GOD. Just awful. I still cannot believe he was back last year as well. Again, I don't think I watch a game this year if he was still on the staff. The game plans, route trees, awful recruiting...I am not sure where to start.

-Greg Mattison is a huge addition by subtraction. He was creating the most friction in the coaches room. I respect the guys career but he was done being 2nd fiddle to Brown and was a distraction. He was already an OSU coach before we played....drumroll...OSU....

-Al Washington is a very good coach and good recruiter. His heart was always with OSU though so that move was not unexpected at all.

-Warriner is a godsend.

-Gattis might seem like a lot of hype but he is at least bringing modern football here. That is all that is needed...I actually trust that JH will be mostly off-hands in this regard...shockingly.

Okay,

I submitted that before it got too long...

Back to JH. He is such a polarizing figure, especially outside of the school and fanbase. People love to hate him...and it cracks me up obviously. He inherited a semi-dumpster fire (Hokes juniors/seniors were good, and that might have put expectations too high). Something happened to him after 2016 OSU. Hey, it sucked. It was one of the worst officiated games you'll ever see (not even talking about the spot) but that team even with Hunts boy Speight at the helm was very good. Now, that November is where you saw the offense go into full conservative mode. It was odd as can be for a team that was creative for the first 20 games or so of his tenure. This all went into 2017. He was just odd all year. He had no fire whatsoever. I think he knew what he had in the QB room and wasn't too confident at all.

Last year he showed some fire but not a lot again. In all honesty, he lost to 2 of the top 5 teams in the country on the road. Yeah, your main two rivals and the Urban farewell game was just ugly but it happens. Nothing more, nothing less. The defense got blitzed there but when you come out with that offensive game plan against a poor defense you do not deserve to even have a chance to win.

He likes this team a lot. They have a lot of depth, a lot... although as we both alluded too...the defensive depth past the DL(unknown quantity as of now) is very green. He look healthier and has been very hands off for months now with regards to the offense. The fire is starting to show some more. Hopefully we see some tantrums (it is needed).

---------------

The schedule isn't easy.

Yes, Army is a good team and yes Army played OU very tough. Listen, the Sooners defense couldn't stop Fondy and his flag football team back at Wisconsin fergodsakes. I love that Michigan has put 8 months of prep into this game.

Wisconsin at Camp Randall is never easy. It is an 11am local start though and I like catching them early in the year.

Penn State is rumored to be another noon start (new FOX mantra about marquee noon games). This would be huge to not play at night.

Notre Dame in late October is just weird and it will be a night game. This will be a week after Penn State, which I do not like. This will most likely be a split either way.

They get MSU off a bye. Now, MSU is my darkhorse to win the division. Why? I think they can win in Columbus and if they do it makes for a domino effect of tiebreakers. With that being said, this Michigan offense is MUCH more equipped to score on the Spartans defense that the old offense was. This will be Dantonio's last stand as well. He is rumored to retire (notice all the assistants were recently put on 1-yr contracts). They lose a lot and their recruiting is absolutely awful now. This will be a war.

Indiana sandwich between MSU/OSU in Bloomington. I hate this with a passion.

OSU -- we'll talk then. The Mouse is there...lets see of Fields is still healthy.

I missed Iowa in there but that is a sneaky tough game.

I think 10-2 is about right for this team (basically where they have been sans the 2017 QB disaster year). 9-3 is a possibility as well but I think at this point 10 is correct.

This reminds me more of a 1999/2000 team that will score more and give up more points. But, they are much more equipped to win a shootout now.

We'll see....I have tried not to do a season write-up till now for a reason.

It will be a fun season, there will be plenty of JH talk on social media/sec network(lol)/espn because they simply cannot get enough.

I need to remind everyone that most of this forum and national publications said it would be a 4-5 year project to for JH to get this team to a championship level. The narrative changed once he didn't go back to the NFL after 2 years (and 3 and 4 and so on...)

So, there you have it...

Lets throw the pigskin out there and HOPEFULLY throw it around ;)

Back