The 7th Inning

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/10/14/9535215/blue-jays-rangers-game-5-playoffs-postseason-how-what-oh-wait-no
:cigarguy:

The Blue Jays and Rangers were tied before the seventh inning started. It was a taut, well-played game. Then THE WORLD EXPLODED, and we're still trying to figure out what happened. A listing ... so far:

• With a runner on third and two outs, Blue Jays catcher Russell Martin's return throw to the pitcher hit Rangers batter Shin-Soo Choo's hand. The umpire mistakenly called time, but the runner was still allowed to score. (Click here for a full explanation.)
  • Angry Blue Jays fans threw trash onto the field, and someone threw trash that might have hit an infant.
  • In the bottom of the inning, the Blue Jays came up and grounded a ball to short. Elvis Andrus booted it.
  • The next batter grounded a ball to first, and Andrus couldn't handle a low throw from Mitch Moreland. Two on, no outs.
  • The next batter bunted it to Adrian Beltre, who spun and fired the ball to Andrus covering third ... and Andrus couldn't handle that.
  • The next batter chopped the ball to first, and Moreland's throw went to home, and Dalton Pompey slid into home, taking out Rangers catcher Chris Gimenez. The play was reviewed to see if the Rangers should have gotten the extra out at first, too. The play was upheld, and there was still just one out.
  • Josh Donaldson, destroyer of worlds, hit a fisted, 80-foot looper just over the head of Rougned Odor at second. One run scored, the game was tied 3-3, and the force play was picked up at second by a throw from Choo.
  • Jose Bautista came up and murdered a baseball dead, and now there are no more baseballs because they are all scared and hiding. It was a three-run homer, putting the Blue Jays up, 6-3.
  • Because Bautista admired his home run, Rangers people started yelling at Blue Jays people. Then Blue Jays people yelled at Rangers people. Then Rangers people yelled and Blue Jays people yelled and oh god FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT
  • Benches emptied. No punches were thrown.
  • More crap was thrown onto the field.
  • Blue Jays pitcher Mark Buehrle was ejected ... even though he isn't on the roster. He was just hanging out.
  • Rangers manager Jeff Banister had a fan arrested or something, idk.
  • After the inning, humbled and angry Rangers reliever Sam Dyson walked behind Troy Tulowitzki and slapped him on the butt. THE BENCHES EMPTIED AGAIN.
  • THE BENCHES EMPTIED BECAUSE ONE BASEBALL PLAYER SLAPPED ANOTHER BASEBALL PLAYER ON THE BUTT.
  • THEY DO THAT ALL THE TIME.
The baseball gods are on peyote and throwing flaming furniture off the roof, and there isn't a damned thing we can do about it.

The inning just ended.

Please send help.

Last edited:
<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=523048383&topic_id=94781376&width=600&height=324&property=mlb' width='600' height='324' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=523054683&topic_id=94781376&width=600&height=324&property=mlb' width='600' height='324' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

Gators/Teed new avatar....

upErpYi.jpg

<iframe src="https://vine.co/v/eEdvmvFOj5A/embed/simple" width="600" height="600" frameborder="0"></iframe><script src="https://platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js"></script>

Now I know why you Canadiens love hockey so much. Radical fans up there. I love it. Most entertaining hour of baseball I've watched ever. I can't believe they let the Rangers score that run. As GWarner pointed out to me on Twitter... The irony is that MLB made batters stay in the box in between innings to make the game go faster and that is the reason the incident happened.

That incident also fucked over under backers. I know you can't assume the rest of the game but the delay coupled with the rowdy crowd altered everything for hamels and the Rangers lost their focus in the field.

Just absolutely amazing stuff. An inning I'll never forget.

just unreal

I haven't been in the bases threads much, but wow....wow

just can't even wrap my head around it all

The whole angry at Toronto for throwing all the shit on the field. I dont like it but come on. They're not the first fans ever to do it and won't be the last. If that play happened in New York/LA/Chicago/Philadephia, the same shit would have happened.

That wouldn't happen in NY I really don't think it would. Philly without a doubt.

Just be thankful it didn't end that way. People would get hurt

If you believe that I dont know what to say

[h=2]Now, it's garbage! Rangers pen pelted with Yankee Stadium trash[/h]By David Brown

Well, well, well. Just in time for Game 4 of the ALCS, New York Yankees fans apparently found the Texas Rangers' most vulnerable spot.
It's the Rangers bullpen — especially when someone throws beer bottles and other garbage at it.
Crossing Broad captured video from the TBS broadcast of a worker picking up trash thrown from the bleachers (no longer alcohol-free, as in the old stadium) as Neftali Feliz(notes) warmed up during the ninth inning Monday night.
Hey, many found it strange that manager Ron Washington decided to use his closer, Feliz, in a blowout. But that's no reason to throw stuff at Alexi Ogando(notes) and The Darrens.
In all seriousness, throwing stuff at players is about the worst fan behavior imaginable. Worse than "A-hole" chants or other excessive swearing, worse than signs urging Tim Lincecum(notes) to fix his teeth, worse than running on the field, begging to be Tased.
Not worse than jumping the first-base coach with a switchblade, and not worse than throwing a battery at a player, but worse than everything else.
They haven't done it en masse for a couple of years, but bleacher fans at Wrigley Field have been known tolitter the field with garbage (or throw beer at Shane Victorino(notes)). Such actions reflect poorly on the entire fan base, even the whole city.
Put trash in its proper place, New York.

The whole angry at Toronto for throwing all the shit on the field. I dont like it but come on. They're not the first fans ever to do it and won't be the last. If that play happened in New York/LA/Chicago/Philadephia, the same shit would have happened.

First time I've ever seen an infant hit by a beer can from the upper deck on national TV. Classy move.

Now I know why you Canadiens love hockey so much. Radical fans up there. I love it. Most entertaining hour of baseball I've watched ever. I can't believe they let the Rangers score that run. As GWarner pointed out to me on Twitter... The irony is that MLB made batters stay in the box in between innings to make the game go faster and that is the reason the incident happened.

That incident also fucked over under backers. I know you can't assume the rest of the game but the delay coupled with the rowdy crowd altered everything for hamels and the Rangers lost their focus in the field.

Just absolutely amazing stuff. An inning I'll never forget.

aree...Iill neer forget were I as

just electric

This is fucking ridiculous. Who cares if it would have happened in other cities? That does nothing to absolve the idiocy shown by the fans in Toronto yesterday. This response sounds as if you're defending it by saying...well others would have done the same thing. You really are a juvenile if you believe that...ffs.

Whether it's happened before, or whether another city would have done it in that situation has nothing to do with the fact that it was a fucking BS reaction by a bunch of losers with no regard for anyone else. There simply is no defending the actions of those morons. Grow the fuck up.

If you believe that I dont know what to say

Now, it's garbage! Rangers pen pelted with Yankee Stadium trash

By David Brown

Well, well, well. Just in time for Game 4 of the ALCS, New York Yankees fans apparently found the Texas Rangers' most vulnerable spot.
It's the Rangers bullpen — especially when someone throws beer bottles and other garbage at it.
Crossing Broad captured video from the TBS broadcast of a worker picking up trash thrown from the bleachers (no longer alcohol-free, as in the old stadium) as Neftali Feliz(notes) warmed up during the ninth inning Monday night.
Hey, many found it strange that manager Ron Washington decided to use his closer, Feliz, in a blowout. But that's no reason to throw stuff at Alexi Ogando(notes) and The Darrens.
In all seriousness, throwing stuff at players is about the worst fan behavior imaginable. Worse than "A-hole" chants or other excessive swearing, worse than signs urging Tim Lincecum(notes) to fix his teeth, worse than running on the field, begging to be Tased.
Not worse than jumping the first-base coach with a switchblade, and not worse than throwing a battery at a player, but worse than everything else.
They haven't done it en masse for a couple of years, but bleacher fans at Wrigley Field have been known tolitter the field with garbage (or throw beer at Shane Victorino(notes)). Such actions reflect poorly on the entire fan base, even the whole city.
Put trash in its proper place, New York.

If you believe that because it's happened somewhere else means that people can't admonish the idiot Toronto fans for yesterday, I don't know what to say.

We get it, you're a Jays fan (although they mysteriously didn't make your username so you can't like em that much), but this isn't life and death, nor is it that big of a deal in any fan's life. It's a fucking sporting event that has literally no bearing on your actual life...get a grip.

and i'm all for bat flips, i love em. but what joey did wasn't a bat flip. dude went vogue and struck a pose, chewed some seeds, then threw his bat. this after the rangers gave you 3 errors. and you did it against sam dyson. in a series you were favored to win. in a game you favored to win. pump the braaaaaakes.

rangers fan aqui.

This is fucking ridiculous. Who cares if it would have happened in other cities? That does nothing to absolve the idiocy shown by the fans in Toronto yesterday. This response sounds as if you're defending it by saying...well others would have done the same thing. You really are a juvenile if you believe that...ffs.

Whether it's happened before, or whether another city would have done it in that situation has nothing to do with the fact that it was a fucking BS reaction by a bunch of losers with no regard for anyone else. There simply is no defending the actions of those morons. Grow the fuck up.

All I hear is crying here.

And no where did I ever say it was right.

and i'm all for bat flips, i love em. but what joey did wasn't a bat flip. dude went vogue and struck a pose, chewed some seeds, then threw his bat. this after the rangers gave you 3 errors. and you did it against sam dyson. in a series you were favored to win. in a game you favored to win. pump the braaaaaakes.

rangers fan aqui.

I am anti bat flip. I am an old school thinker when it comes to stuff like that. Grew up playing hockey, I was taught in Canada you raise your celebrate with your teammates and then get ready for the next play. Just like American Baseball players are taught not to bat flip.

But when you bring different cultures into the games that shit happens. Eric Byrnes said it on TV last night, thats a normal occurrence in a regular game down in the Dominican league. Its just like Euros the way the celebrate in Hockey after a goal.

Its a tough situation

cmon gator, you even said ingame thread today you will be upset at them for it, yesterday you didnt care. So today you don't care either?

rangers fan aqui.

All I hear is crying here.

And no where did I ever say it was right.

How am I crying? I'm calling out what was apparently justification for the behavior. If you weren't justifying it, there would be no reason to say "well it would have, or has, happened in other cities." It doesn't matter where it has, or would have happened...the behavior is deplorable and should be embarrassing for fans of the Blue Jays. Outside of acknowledging that it was juvenile and agreeing that it was embarrassing, there's really nothing else to say about it.

cmon gator, you even said ingame thread today you will be upset at them for it, yesterday you didnt care. So today you don't care either?

I absolutely hate that the fans did this. Its a shitty look but lets not act like this is the first time this has ever happened. That was my point.

I am anti bat flip. I am an old school thinker when it comes to stuff like that. Grew up playing hockey, I was taught in Canada you raise your celebrate with your teammates and then get ready for the next play. Just like American Baseball players are taught not to bat flip.

But when you bring different cultures into the games that shit happens. Eric Byrnes said it on TV last night, thats a normal occurrence in a regular game down in the Dominican league. Its just like Euros the way the celebrate in Hockey after a goal.

Its a tough situation

Agree that the bat flip "thing" is a tough situation due to the different cultures that have been influxed (not sure that's a word...haha) into the game. The response most give when a pitcher or opponent bitches about the bat flip is....don't let up the bomb and you don't have to worry about anyone flipping a bat.

Joey Bats celebration is exactly what sports is all about

It was pure emotion. If you're going to take it to be disrespectful, you're just being a salty bitch

I absolutely hate that the fans did this. Its a shitty look but lets not act like this is the first time this has ever happened. That was my point.

The counterpoint was simply that it doesn't matter if it's happened before. Pointing out that it's happened before, or would have happened somewhere else, is nothing but justification for what happened. If you weren't justifying it, then don't even bother mentioning it happened elsewhere, because that's meaningless.

Joey Bats celebration is exactly what sports is all about

It was pure emotion. If you're going to take it to be disrespectful, you're just being a salty bitch

Agreed to an extent (some players have crossed the line from emotion to just being a prick). At the same time though, he can't bitch and moan when he takes one in the back the next time he faces them (or one of his teammates takes one in the back). Obviously that may not happen here since they won't play again until next season, but if there was another game today and it happened, there shouldn't be any whining.

Agreed to an extent. At the same time though, he can't bitch and moan when he takes one in the back the next time he faces them (or one of his teammates takes one in the back). Obviously that may not happen here since they won't play again until next season, but if there was another game today and it happened, there shouldn't be any whining.

Most players understand that will happen.

Texas won't forget this.

Most players understand that will happen.

Texas won't forget this.

Yep, you're right most players understand it and probably wouldn't say a thing. I'd imagine Texas won't forget as well. The fans are really the ones who should understand it's going to happen, because the same ones loving what Joey Bats did yesterday will be he first ones whining about him getting plunked. (not directed at anyone on this site at all, just fans in general)

Agree that the bat flip "thing" is a tough situation due to the different cultures that have been influxed (not sure that's a word...haha) into the game. The response most give when a pitcher or opponent bitches about the bat flip is....don't let up the bomb and you don't have to worry about anyone flipping a bat.

that bat flip ain't a latino thing. that was a latino bat flip on steroids. that's all im saying.

watch your tone callin folks bitch round here, amigo.

Well if the game ended 3-2, y'all would've won the game on the cheapest run scored in MLB history and you wouldn't have liked people making excuses. It doesn't matter who he hit the home run off. It doesn't matter what books expected in this matchup.... The situation called for the celebration. Not sure how anyone could argue with that. Any unbiased viewer watching the game had their jaw drop in amazement. You're criticizing him for how high he threw his bat. Lol

naw, i thought that run was wacky and was praying we didn't take it that way. but rules are rules and shit. i wouldn't have minded the complaining.

the part i take issue with is him posing and throwing his bat. that's a pretty simple take, not exactly hot.

the hot take here is calling another dude a bitch over the internet.

Never said it was a Latino thing at all. I agree with you.

sorry, i was trying to refer to the different cultures colliding thing. i watch a lot of beisbol with my puerto rican neighbors, lotta wbc, caribbean league and shit, they for sure pimp home runs more than here, but not like that.

sorry, i was trying to refer to the different cultures colliding thing. i watch a lot of beisbol with my puerto rican neighbors, lotta wbc, caribbean league and shit, they for sure pimp home runs more than here, but not like that.

Well, to be fair to Joey Bats, that was a pretty f'ing big HR, certainly bigger than any hit in any of the leagues/tourneys you're referring to. I agree that it was over the top and not necessary, but I can understand how the heat of that big moment got to him there.

totally. the emotions behind all that were nuts, but being a pro and what not...don't wanna sound like an old man because i do enjoy the emotion--i just think there's a line, and striking a pose and chuckin your bat is over it. plus, what the fuck did he expect was gonna happen when you pull something like that? like the rangers ain't gonna be pissed, dyson specifically? i read some shit at grantland that pretty much called dyson out for not being a pro and i wasn't even drunk when i read it, but my head was spinning.

i remember when paul molitor and the twinkies flipped out at jose ramirez for his bat flip and i agreed with the twinkies. dude jogged half way up the line and then chucked his bat right in front of the dugout. that's weak. gimme a south korean bat flip over that shit every day.

naw, i thought that run was wacky and was praying we didn't take it that way. but rules are rules and shit. i wouldn't have minded the complaining.

the part i take issue with is him posing and throwing his bat. that's a pretty simple take, not exactly hot.

the hot take here is calling another dude a bitch over the internet.

It was a funny picture. Didnt think anyone would take it so personally. I apologize

totally. the emotions behind all that were nuts, but being a pro and what not...don't wanna sound like an old man because i do enjoy the emotion--i just think there's a line, and striking a pose and chuckin your bat is over it. plus, what the fuck did he expect was gonna happen when you pull something like that? like the rangers ain't gonna be pissed, dyson specifically? i read some shit at grantland that pretty much called dyson out for not being a pro and i wasn't even drunk when i read it, but my head was spinning.

i remember when paul molitor and the twinkies flipped out at jose ramirez for his bat flip and i agreed with the twinkies. dude jogged half way up the line and then chucked his bat right in front of the dugout. that's weak. gimme a south korean bat flip over that shit every day.

The thing with Dyson though, when he went over to Edwin and started shit when all Edwin was trying to do was calm the crowd down, was pretty ridiculous as well. It was made more ridiculous, imo, when after the game he still was talking about it as if Edwin was being bush league and trying to fire the crowd up (while they were throwing stuff on the field).

How did not one person get to Dyson to let him know that Edwin was NOT doing what Dyson accused him of? He sounded like a moron when talking to the press since he didn't know that Edwin wasn't being an asshole, he was actually trying to help stop fans from throwing shit on the field.

Well at the time I was biased because I hit my TT over 4.5. I was giddy over the entire 7th inning.
Yeah I the game over. The odds on andrus making those little league errors and the 1b choke throw. Million to 1.

Back